Never Left Me (Completed)

By GenHope

"Even when we departed you never left me. I carried everything you said to me and did for me even when we wer... More

Description
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four, Part One
Thirty-Four, Part Two
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Five
Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy

Twenty-Six

8.5K 864 1.1K
By GenHope

Magenta drags her feet into the office as her body wears the usual Monday morning tiredness from the weekend. She's usually on time but today she's running a little late. That's apparent by the fact Colby beat her and is already sitting at his desk.

"Someone needs a tardy slip," Jux teases taking a sip from his coffee mug.

"Good morning to you too," she grumbles.

"I would ask if it was a long weekend, but I know it was. I'm still recovering from your brother's wedding. Between the alcohol, edibles, blunts..."

"And Pandora?" she pokes fun grabbing a portfolio from him.

Jux laughs under his breath and shakes his head. "I could ask the same about Gee," he shoots back knowing he's got her with that one.

"To my desk I go," Gen whisks away before he can ask any questions or make any jokes. She goes into her office closing her door behind her. Removing her jacket she throws it and her purse on armchair in the corner.

Before Magenta's mind could drift to the conversation or the kiss she shared with Gee at her brother's wedding, she notices something on her desk. Seeing a bouquet of roses Gen sits on the edge of her desk. Before even reading the card she knows exactly who they're from.

"All these years and he's still trying to make roses my favorite flower even though I told him a million times they're sunflowers." She looks at the card indicating they're from Noah. Rolling her eyes to herself she flicks the card across the room watching it fall to the floor.

Before she can take her place at her desk there's a knock at the door. At her behest the door is opened by the intern who greets her with a smile. "You're here, finally. Your sister would like to speak with you in her office."

"Can it wait? I would like to login and check some things first?" she asks sitting down. She'd rather not speak to or see her sister unless there's an apology. It's hard to avoid Felicity when they work together.

"She said it's important."

Gen sighs. "I'll be there." She shoots a short smile to the intern as she closes the door behind her. Gen takes that moment to prepare herself with deep breaths before making her way to Felicity's office. Walking in she looks at her sister who's on a phone call. Felicity holds up her finger and Magenta rolls her eyes closing the door behind herself.

Maybe she's expecting too much, she's assuming Felicity will say sorry for their argument at Choice's wedding. Instead Tink hangs the phone up looking at her sister. She clasps her hands together sitting them on the desktop saying, "I think maybe you should take a break from work."

Magenta's face maintains it's stillness, but it feels like it fell. Grinding her teeth she takes in what Felicity said. "A break? I don't need a break or time off from work."

"Think of it as a mental health vacation, if you will." She flashes a smug smile as Gen licks over her teeth.

"For what exactly?" She wants to hear her explanation.

"To heal and cleanse. You need to release. To focus on your health and wellness. To gain clarity. At Ill Minds we place a huge importance on our employees mental health. We take mental illness very serious-"

Magenta cuts her off. "Save the speech like I'm not co-owner of this company."

"Yes, and as co-owner your mental health is especially important for the success of our business. Right now you're not at your best full potential. For example, the fight with Amil at the club. It was a bit much for the company brand. It wasn't a good look." Gen can't get over the fake professional voice her sister's using. She's talking to her like a worker rather than family.

"You post half naked pictures, but that's not a bit much for the company brand?" She rebuttals.

Felicity smiles not responding to the comment. She writes something down while saying, "The company will pay for you to get therapy and anything else you need. Ideally, you will use this time to develop healthy habits and cultivate effective coping mechanisms that will help you protect and maintain your mental health going forward."

Gen scoffs. "You're basically calling me crazy."

"No, I just think you need some help for whatever it is you're going through," she says as if it wasn't spelled out. Magenta was sexually assaulted by her boyfriend. "You'll finish out your last project and the year. Your break will start at the New Year and you'll have as much time as you need to come back the best you."

"And will I still be getting paid?"

"Of course." She extends papers adding, "You can take this to our HR manager. Also, meet with our healthcare provider then return the paperwork and you're good to go."

Magenta snatches the papers adding the thought she's had since she walked into her office, "Fuck you, Felicity."

If she wasn't told she'd be extremely emotional and angry during this time, especially if she's constantly re-living this during the trial, she would've knocked everything off Felicity's desk and started throwing shit.

She's about to walk out, but takes two steps and turns back around. "You know, I actually looked up to you so much as a kid. The way you dressed, did your hair, makeup, amazing body, pretty. I saw you went to college and I figured I could do it to. I graduated and watched what you were doing and was inspired. That's why I was willing to do this company with you..."

"I used to hear so many rumors about you growing up. Tink with the fashions," she quotes something that was always said about Felicity. "You had the flyest clothes and I was just glad I could get the hand-me-downs. I did wonder where you got the money to get the clothes because at the time Mama was in jail and we were living with granny. They said you had a sugar daddy at 15, a pimp, and even you were dating a drug dealer to stay so fly. Didn't matter. I never believed any of it because you were my sister."

"But you couldn't even do the same for me. You couldn't ask? Instead you believed it because it makes you feel better about you taking that ain't shit nigga back. I used to think all those girls who hated you growing up were just jealous. I remember it got so bad that you had to change high schools because a group of girls had beef with you and kept jumping you. But now I see why they was beatin' yo ass. You'll turn your back on any bitch for some musty ass dick, even your own blood sister. I'm not the one who needs help. It's you!" Magenta points exiting after her speech.

Instead of still doing her work for the day, Gen goes back to her office only to grab her things and leave. There's no way she can get any work done with everything that's on her mind. She decides to go to Pandora's place of work, which is a clothing boutique she owns in Downtown Houston.

Walking to the register Gen asks the girl working the cashier, "Is Pandora here?"

Right at that moment Pandora walks out from the back. "What're you doing here? Shouldn't you be at work?" she looks at the watch on her wrist.

"I decided to take the day off. It was that or whoop Tink's ass all up and down that office in front of our employees," Gen sighs flopping down on a couch in the store's sitting area.

"What happened?"

"She wants me to take a 'mental health' break. To get therapy and all. Funny when she doesn't even believe me. She basically said I need to be in a white padded room in a straight jacket because I'm such a liar," she says the latter sarcastically.

"Can she do that?"

"She can actually. She owns the biggest percentage of the company. Considering she had a head start to save money. I pretty much went from a college graduate to doing this business with her. I never really even experienced post-grad life career wise. I didn't even argue. I do need a break."

"Do you think this will affect your business relationship with her?" P asks sitting down next to her.

"I don't want it to. My work is the best thing in my life right now, sadly. But of course it will. I guess this is why they say don't go into business with family. I'll just focus on my YouTube channel and my interviews for now. I can focus on my individual brand."

"Good idea. If you want I can rip everything she designed from the racks?" Pandora asks with an evil grin.

"Girl, and you lose money and inventory? I don't think so."

"I can't believe she's taking a niggas side over her own sister," P shakes her head.

"Thank the lucky stars you and your sister are actually close. I wish I had that."

"We weren't always close. I was running the streets tryna make money. Then we became adults and boom, we actually got coo. I was like this bitch is kinda alright. It also helps that I'm not crazy anymore and always trying to beat her ass because of my temper," P makes them both chuckle.

"Isn't it beautiful how far we've come?" They share a look. "A degree, businesses, dream career, car, house. You would think I'd be happier," she lays her head back.

"None of that erases what we went through to get here though. We deserve to be happy."

"Hell yeah," Gen agrees. "I can't wait until I can be the soft version of myself. I'm tired of being a real nigga."

"I'ma be that regardless," P laughs. "But why do we have to wait?"

"True. On the other hand, I always feel like I have to have a guard up and on the defense, especially with men and relationships. As soon as you let your walls down they come in attacking everything vulnerable. I don't have time."

"So, you don't have time for Gee?" Gen throws her head back wanting to escape his name for one day.

She bites the end of her thumb nail. "I want to give him a chance, but-" She admits before pausing to think. "I saw pictures of Caprice coming out of the courthouse and I noticed Gee was in the background. Being that close in proximity to him...I can't. I really don't think it's a good idea to be around anyone who has ties with him. For my own sanity... and mental health," she scoffs thinking about Felicity.

"You could always tell Gee," Pandora suggests hesitantly.

"And expect what? I barely came back into his life. That's a recipe for disaster. I really just want to get through this trial and heal." Pandora nods understanding that. It'll create even more drama. "Anyway, what's up with you and Jux or you and Kross? I can't keep up," she jokes.

"I've decided I'm going to vet them both. They can both fight for my love and attention then I'll pick. They both asked me on dates this weekend. Why should I have to choose right now when I get to know both of them?"

"Good luck on that. That can get messy fast as hell. Trust me. I know from experience."

"Uh, if you're talking about what I think you are, that's different. You were cheating. Mind you, one was a street nigga and the other an abusive psychopath. You're luck no one got killed." They share a laugh knowing Magenta was wildin' back then.

"That's my past. You know what? Do your thing. We're the prize, so by all means, make them work for the trophy." They exchange a hand slap before Gen stands up. "I should get going and let you get back to work."

"I love you," Pandora yells out as she's halfway across the store.

Gen stops in her tracks to look back. "I love you too," she gives a close lipped smile continuing out of the door.

Going out to her car, Magenta gets into her Audi SQ8 melting into the red interior with a sigh. Looking in the rearview mirror at herself she's realizing her life is out of control. There's one thing she could take control of is she'd stop running... And that's Gee. It's time to face one of her problems.

Pulling up to a restaurant, Genesis get out of his car walking inside being greeted by a hostess. Before she can ask if it's just him, he says, "I'm meeting someone." She leads the way with a menu and Gee looks around the bistro for Choice who asked him to meet him.

Gee was a little unsure at first after the surprise of Breon at the wedding, but he couldn't deny him. He does feel a way. His trust issues want to believe some snake shit is going on. If you know he and a person had problems that escalated to violence, why would you invite them to the same place with no warning?

Regardless of what transpired between Choice and Fade, they knew each other first. They were best friends since childhood and spent everyday together. They'll have more love and loyalty to each other over Gee.

There was real bloodshed between all them. This was a real street issue. It looks shady. Gee was riding and stepping behind Choice only for him to be cool with Fade again. He tried to kill Fade, so he doesn't expect him to be ever cool with him. It makes Gee feel like Choice is giving his enemy the head on him to take him out.

He can say Choice would never do that intentionally. The reality is he could have no ill will, but if someone gets hurt he knew beforehand it was a possibility.

Spotting Choice he makes his way to the table dapping him before sitting. The waitress hands the menu order allowing him to order a drink before walking off. "Surprised you haven't jetted off for your honeymoon," Gee comments while flipping through the menu.

"We leave tomorrow morning for the Maldives," Choice smiles. Gee looks at his wedding band that's encrusted in diamonds.

"I know that shit about to be relaxing as hell. That was the best wedding I've been to. You gave weed and edibles out in the goodie bags, my nigga. If I wasn't on probation I'd be smoking big gas." They share a chuckle then look because there's clearly something that needs to be said.

Choice leans back in his seat saying, "I wanted to talk to you. More so apologize."

"Apologize for what?

"I should've informed you ahead of time Breon would be there. I could've ruined my own wedding with a royal rumble. Fade didn't know if he'd be out in time to attend. Two days before the wedding he's RSVP'ing. I was so busy with last minute wedding stuff I forgot to inform you."

"It's good. I wouldn't do fight at your wedding. I'm a grown ass man. I wouldn't ruin your day like that. I just didn't know y'all were cool again like that..." He stares into Choice.

He shrugs. "I've known him my whole life. That's what we do. We have disagreements and get back cool again."

Gee pokes out his lip. "When people I considered childhood friends decided they wanted to take me from my mother and father, that made it clear enough where I stood in their life."

"I still don't have any proof Fade had anything to do with me getting shot."

"Maybe you don't. We do know it was Kasino. But at whose call did Kasino do it on? I know what I saw that night. Fade met up with that nigga and they exchanged something. Most likely money. Why is he meeting up with anyone he was beefin' with so heavily? Someone who shot at me and my friends. Shot at your house."

Genesis stops himself realizing he's getting worked up. He had to learn the hard way you can't inherit no one else's beef or problems. You have to let people fight their own battles. You'll still have static with the person meanwhile they've kissed and made up. The sake of saying you're loyal isn't worth it.

Choice rubs his facial hair. "Look, I've long gone been tuned out of street politics, but the reality is Fade fucked up. I could believe he changed, but I also know keep your enemies closer. He's not going to be a problem for us. He doesn't even stay in Houston. He still lives in Dallas and only came down for my wedding."

Gee looks at him still not convinced. "The man wants his get back and I don't blame him."

"My older brother, Cortlen, he's getting out of prison next month," Choice reveals the news. "If there was anybody that Fade didn't play with it was Cory."

"Who says we have a month before Fade's back on his old bullshit?"

Choice shrugs. "I used to think I was a product of my environment, but I was really a product of my thoughts. You control the situation, don't let it control you. Are we supposed to live in fear, be paranoid? Now we make an impulsive decision that costs us our freedom or life."

"So walk around like I don't know I have enemies in this world?"

"I'm grateful that I'm self aware now. I'm able to accept and understand my emotions and not let them control my actions to the point where I can hurt myself or people around me. That resulted in me no longer being emotionally violent and gaining emotional maturity." Choice takes in a deep breath. "Healing as a man is a fight between your ego, heart, and self-esteem. Some days you feel fine and others your heart feels heavy."

"Maybe I'm still working on that," Gee responds.

"After I got shot, I really had to look within on what I wanted and who I wanted to be. Nobody talks about how much getting shot fucks with you mentally."

"Shit, you know I know."

"Sometimes your scared and you don't know what's gonna happen, but you know that everything you face is sent to make you better. You have to embrace everything as it comes. We all have a war inside we must face head on or it'll haunt us forever. That war's way bigger than the petty bullshit on the streets. Don't let Fade knock you off your pivot. Don't allow him to hinder your progress," Choice office the words of wisdom.

"That's easier said than done."

"It is. If we gotta handle him, we will."

After his lunch with Choice, Gee stays at the restaurant because he's supposed to be having a meeting with Kross, Caprice, and his team. Gee occupies himself with his phone. He chuckles at a funny video Magenta dm'd him. It's clearly to break the ice between them after their heated discussion last time they saw each other.

His attention is grabbed when he hears metal scraping against the floor. He looks up to see both Kross, Caprice, and a label employee pulling chairs back to sit at the table. "Wassup?" Gee daps Kross while using his other hand to lock his phone and sit it on the table. "Let's cut to the chase," he gets right to it.

Kross wears a concerned face knowing how Gee can be. He's brutally honest and never stops to wonder whether his opinion is going to hurt someone's feelings. Many of times his blunt nature and unwillingness to compromise has ruined business relationships.

"I've had time to sit back and think about the rape charge." Most people have tiptoed around the 'r word' with Caprice, not Gee. They'll use incident, situation, or allegations instead. "I'm a person who can see things from both sides and perspectives. I'm a 'there's three sides to a story' type of nigga. I'm going to be honest, I don't really compromise on violence against women and children. Sometimes animals even though I don't fuck with 'em like that."

Caprice smacks his lips. "Mutha fuckas will crucify you and nail you to the cross without hearing your side of the story first."

"If you would let me finish," Gee peers into him. "Be honest. Did you do it? Any of it? Including pulling the gun on the girl?"

"No!" he answers quickly sitting forward in his seat. "Bro, the girl is bat shit crazy. She's mentally unstable. It was all consensual. The only reason she's accusing me of rape is because I dated her sister. She doesn't want to look foul for fucking her own blood's ex, so she made up a lie."

Gee looks at Kross who's silent. "That's a very elaborate and detailed lie. I read the paperwork."

"Pathological liars tend to be very creative. "She's trying to cover her own ass, so she doesn't look passed around and easy. At the cost of my reputation and career. It's fucked up because people automatically believe this bullshit. Meanwhile, I heard her rep in the industry isn't too good."

"What do you mean? Has she done this before?"

"No, but I heard rumors sleeps with rappers to get interviews. I believe it now."

Dated her sister. Interviews. Hmph. That keeps repeating in Gee's head until he asks, "Um, who is the girl accusing you? I think I missed that part..."

"I can't say that. There's a gag order. We also signed a confidentiality agreement for during and after the trial."

"I mean, you can tell me, right? We're your managers. We should know these things. I may know her. The industry's small. I could know some information that could help your case. Maybe I know about her doing something like this in the past," he tries to pull it out of him.

"Sorry, bruh. Can't do that. If I tell you her name and something happens to her it could fuck up my case. Whether she's harassed, threatened, paid off, that's on me. Can't risk it. It's better you don't know anyway."

Gee narrows his eyes as the label employee changes the subject. "We need a game plan to steer the conversation away from the controversy. The drama and scandal could help. His die hard fans are even more ride or die for him. Then the people who didn't know him before this are going to check out his music even if it's to hit the dislike button. Bad press is still good press. I think we should finally release a statement and go with the narrative that they're trying to take another black man down."

Gee had completely tuned out thinking to himself trying to put two and two together. He only checks back in to say, "Sorry to interrupt. I don't think I'm needed for the rest of this meeting. Me and Kross are clear that Caprice is solely his responsibility as an artist. Don't call me for court dates or bail money 'cause I'm not comin'. Good day, gentlemen."

Genesis gives them a salute standing from the table receiving an embarrassed look from Kross. Gee reaches into his pocket throwing down some cash for a tip before leaving.

As Gee drives to his next location his mind is still going a mile a minute. He doesn't want anything to do with this Caprice situation. He doesn't care about the money he could make. He doesn't care if he becomes the biggest star ever and brings in millions of dollars.

He knows how this industry works. There's so many rumors about people. There's always 'he say, she say' to where you find yourself having an 'mind the business that pays you' attitude. If you believe everything you hear you'd be canceling everyone and working with no one.

It's also easier for accusations and allegations to be made in this era where people tell the internet everything. Charges don't even have to be made for someone to be guilty.  Someone can post that another person is a rapist, abuser, racist, pedophile, groomer, colorist, thief, cheater, etc. then everyone runs with it and believes it. It's easy for your name and brand to be tarnished with the click of a 'post' button.

The court of public opinion usually wins nowadays. You're branded for life. In this business, Gee is constantly put at a crossroads morally. That's when you start to acquire a 'business is business' mentality. What they do in their personal life has nothing to do with you.

But who wants to be associated with someone labeled an alleged rapist? Their reputation rubs off on you for simply being around them. Gee would like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he has this feeling. Maybe it's just his intuition. It's a tricky situation for him to be in, so he rather remove himself...

Getting out of a studio session that ran late with one of his artists he looks at the time. It's ten minutes to 2 in the morning, which isn't late enough for him. It's either go home and try to sleep. That's when he gets an idea. While backing out of the parking spot he calls Magenta. He doubts she'll be up, but it's worth trying.

To his surprise she answers after a few rings. She doesn't sound half asleep when she says hello either. "You up?" He asks making sure to pay attention to the road even though he's driving aimlessly without an exact location:

"I actually am. Why? What're you doing up?"

"I just got out of a studio session, but I always can't sleep."

"Same. I was looking at old pictures from college," she chuckles lightly.

"Do you think we can talk?" He asks hopefully. He doesn't like how things left off at Choice's wedding. He thought when they sat down to talk at that Waffle House Everything would be all good, but clearly not. There's some unresolved feelings that requires another sit down.

"Yeah, we need to. You can come over. I'll send you my address." When she sends it he puts it into his GPS turning around to head straight there.

Twenty minutes later he's pulling into the driveway of her townhome. Getting out of his car he looks around her neighborhood realizing she doesn't live too far from him.

As he stands on her doorstep waiting for her to open it he pops himself with the rubber band on his wrist a couple times. He's hoping this conversation doesn't go left as well. He just wants to be on the same page as her.

Magenta opens the door and a smile immediately spreads across Gee's face. Gen's head is down because she's trying to move her welcome mat back in its right place. Looking up and seeing the smile on his face her eyebrows furrow. "The fuck you so happy for?"

His smile fades and he smacks his lips. "You still got it..." he points at her shirt. It's the airbrushed shirt they got made at the state fair all those years ago. Now she understands why he's smiling because she is too.

"Yeah, I sleep in it sometimes now," she shrugs letting him in making sure to lock the door behind him. She wears it with a pair of shorts and has pink furry slippers on her feet. "Do you still have yours?" She asks as they make their way down the entry corridor.

"I actually just found it at my Daddy's house. I had to go through everything... You know. All my high school and college stuff was at his place. The t-shirt, the picture.."

"I still have the teddy bear you won me too," she looks over her shoulder leading the way. "It's kinda missing an eye and arm though," she hisses.

"Damn, what'd you do?"

"I was mad at you and took it out on Mr. G Baby. He may need an eye patch and prosthetic arm, but he's still rollin with me. At least I kept him."

He laughs as she turns into her all white kitchen. From the cabinets, the countertops, the tile floors, and the backsplash. It's spotless. Looking past it to the living room he comments, "I'm not surprised this is how your house looks..."

"Are you talkin' shit?" She asks taking a Hello Kitty mug from a rack. Gee takes in the scent of sweet incense smoke. The wall of windows is swathing with pastel colored draperies to match the rest of the whimsical space. Gen watches Gee's eyes move around the room as she goes to grab the tea kettle on her stove. "I'm fixing hot chocolate. You want one?"

"Nah, I'm good." After putting the cocoa mix in her mug, Gee watches as she takes her tea kettle off the stove. She pours in the steamy water halfway then takes a jug of milk filling the rest. With every movement he studies her. "You live alone?" He asks out of curiosity.

"After having terrible roommates for years? Hell yeah." He knows she's talking about Amil, so he chuckles.

While stirring her drink she motions for Gee to follow her. She leads the way downstairs to her craft room. It's another room splashed with pastel colors with two tables for work stations. There's also several canvases of watercolor paintings that Magenta's done. She's always loved art-making. This room gives her a place to work, to do her hobbies, and release.

Seeing all her stuff strewn out on the table Gee asks, "Is this what you were doing up?"

"Yup," she sips from her mug before sitting it down. She leans her hands against the table looking at everything. "This is my last job for awhile, but it's a big one. My sister's forcing me to take a mental health vacation after this," she rolls her eyes.

"Mental health vacation? That sounds nice as hell. Shit, I wish I had that," he sits on a white stool.

"Yeah, if you actually need it. She's been reading too many self-help books. I like working to keep my mind off things. I don't need a vacation," she sighs.

"She might be right though. Everyone needs time to relax and take a break. That work 'til you die mentality is bullshit. Who on Earth decided let's work to eat and drink even thought it could be free?"

Gen laughs knowing he has a point. "Coming from Mr. Big Boss Man? How many artists do you have now?"

"Almost ten and they all drive me crazy," he rubs his forehead thinking about it, especially Caprice.

"What are you working on?" He asks looking at all the papers on the table and the stuff pinned to a board.

"Remember that roster I told you I'm doing every year? Since last year I showcase the yearbook photographs and the winners for the awards at an event I do in collaboration with this clothing line. It's the 2nd Annual Twinkle's Winter Wonderland Formal," she does spirit fingers making him smile.

"Am I invited?"

She tilts her head. "I didn't invite you? You're automatically invited if you're in the yearbook and up for an award."

"I'm nominated too?" He gives a cocky smile

"Yes, for manager of the year. You have some stiff competition though. I don't know. You could lose to Saweetie's manager. I didn't see any of your artist's with a McDonald's meal. I'm just sayin'," Gen playfully shrugs.

"Damn, I done some shit. Don't count me out already."

Gen bites the end of her nail, which she usually does when she's nervous or doesn't want to smile. "I'll make sure you're on the guest list and I'll send you the information."

"Do you need help with anything? With the event?"

She pauses to think on it. "Actually, do you know any DJ's? I want to have more than one."

"I know plenty of DJ's. I do the whole club and radio circuit thing. Gotta get artists on those stages and airwaves. I can make a few phone calls."

"Thanks. I really appreciate just the offer to help alone. Most people show up ready to party, take pictures for social media, eat, drink, and leave."

"I'm sure it's not easy." That quickly his attention's grabbed by a stack of pictures on the table. He grabs for them realizing they're photos from college like she said on the phone.

"I was reminiscing," she sighs.

He laughs when he sees a picture of them at one of his football games. "Damn."

"I was a good ass friend. I had so much stuff with your jersey number and last name. Hoodies, shirts, socks, beanies."

"Came to every game you could be at too. I appreciated the support," he states genuinely.

"I was kinda obsessed," she admits looking at the picture after he places it on the table to look at the next.

"We were fasho obsessed each other," he agrees. "Nah, my girl, Ki. What has Kiara been up to?" He asks looking at a group picture of them.

"Shit, she's married with two kids. I think she's a stay at home Mom."

"I heard she got pregnant after I left. Damn," he shakes his head.

"Yup, went full City Girl. Had to drop out too. She came in a quiet virgin and got turned out, chile. College will do that to you." They both laugh until his fades away looking at a picture of Juju. He doesn't know why her death still haunts him.

He swallows hard before shuffling to the next picture. "I miss her. Her little scrappy ass was always fighting when she got drunk."

"Juju? Yeah, I miss her too. Remember we went to that kickback and we left when the sun was coming up. She was barefoot. Had no shoes and no idea where she could've left them. Too damn drunk."

"Those college parties used to be wild. Remember the one we went to at our apartments? We left early, but later on it was all over Snapchat, Twitter, hell, the news even, because the floor caved in. Them mutha fuckas  fell to the first floor."

"We got so lucky. Having to wear a neck brace because you wanted to throw ass is wild," they laugh together.

Dying down he responds, "That really was the most fun time of my life. Stressful as fuck, but that's something you can't do twice."

"I'm glad I kept the memories. I wanted to keep them for reminders of how fine I was. I was gonna show my kids too. I thought I was the baddest thing on campus." Magenta puts a hand on her hip and twirls.

"Shit, you were. After Reina Best. You almost had her beat." She smacks her lips and pushes his shoulder. "What were you going to tell them about me, us?" He stares into her.

"Uh," she shrugs while looking down. "The truth, I suppose."

"And what's that?"

She sighs trying to find the words. "That we had the greatest love story that never happened, sadly." He nods accepting that. It falls quiet as he continues to file through photos. "Why can't you sleep?" she asks so it's not awkwardly quiet.

"I don't know," Gee rubs his head.

"You do know. You just don't wanna say."

She still feels like she knows him like the back of her hand. Anytime Gee doesn't want to talk about something because it's emotional or he feels no one cares, he says I don't know to deflect.

He does it when he doesn't want to go into it. He does it when he rambles and thinks no one's interested in the topic. He feels like he's had to say 'I don't know' way more once he wasn't friends with Magenta anymore.

She knows back in college anytime Gee couldn't sleep it's because something was going on and he was stressed. For awhile Gee was sleeping on the couch in her dorm because it seemed the only way for him to get rest. Then when she had the off-campus apartment he was showing up at her doorstep despite his being right across the street just to spend the night with her. There was something about being in the same room as her that made him relaxed enough to doze off.

"I really haven't been able to sleep since my Daddy died," he divulges. "My thoughts just running wild. That or I have a dream about him. Too much going on to sleep peacefully and get a good 8 hours."

"Well, you're welcome to come over anytime at any hour. I haven't been getting much sleep either. You know I'm a night owl, so I'm probably up working too. My daybed is all yours also," she extends the offer motioning to it behind him.

Furrowing his eyebrows he asks, "Forreal? Just like that I have my best friend back?" He does a cheeky smile making her chuckle.

"Gee, I never closed my door or heart to you in all those years. We always said once I love you, I'll always love you. That didn't change because I wanted to stab you in your eye." She makes the motion with a pen.

"I only have one eye. The other one's semi-decent, so be careful with that," he refers to the one he got shot in. His foot bounces repeatedly on the bottom bar of the stool. "So, could you maybe open your heart a bit and we can put all our feelings on the floor? Past or present?"

She sighs so hard her shoulders go up then slump. "Let's do this." She goes to sit on the daybed and he follows. She turns inwards pulling one of her legs up on the seat to tuck it under herself.

They sit there for a second just looking at one another. It's inexhaustibly evident Magenta carries a lot of pain and trauma by the sadness that can't be hidden within her eyes. When she's not goofing around or in a happy mood it seems like she's just there... and sad. The first time he saw her at the day party, the music video shoot, Pandora's birthday dinner, the club, the wedding.

The same thing can be said about Gee.

"What are we doing?" She asks in a hushed tone breaking the silence.

"I need you to look at me and really see me."

"Okay? I'm looking," she grabs a pillow putting it in her lap to hug it.

"I'm not the Gee who was selling drugs. I'm not the Gee was getting arrested. I'm not the Gee who was always getting into fights and angry. I'm not the Gee who was getting shot at."

Looking down she mumbles. "I know. You're right. You deserve a fair shot. A clean slate instead of me judging you based on the past."

"We didn't have a happy ending before, but I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Shit, I'm glad I met you. You taught me a lot."

Gen sighs deciding to let it out. "I wish I wasn't too scared to tell you how I felt back then. I wish I would've let you know what you really meant to me and how much I loved you. It probably wouldn't have changed anything as far as the outcome, but it's the one thing I regret. It was so heavy on my heart after you left. You deserved to know how loved you are, especially knowing how much you needed to hear it. By now it's obvious I was scared."

"I get it."

"I look back on that 20-year-old who ran from your love because I thought if I accepted it, it would be the biggest heartbreak of my life. I pushed it away in hopes of preserving my heart, but really having to bottle all those emotions up caused me to shatter into tiny pieces everyday." She plays with her finger going on. "I don't want to get my hopes up. I always choose the wrong guys or stay in situations for the wrong reasons and longer than I should. But I also don't want to be just friends. I do want to be more."

"I feel a but coming..." He can't help but be a bit pessimistic.

She shakes her head. "There's no but. Would you like go out with me this weekend?" She bashfully tucks her chin towards her shoulder.

"Are you asking me on a date?" He points at himself before laughing.

"Don't laugh," she pouts. "That was really hard."

"I know it was the way you turn down my dates left and right then have a million excuses. Only for you to turn around and ask me out. I can't lie, I'ma nigga, but this kinda feels nice."

"Don't get too damn excited. Don't drag it," she playfully rolls her eyes. "Yes or no?! I'm sweating bullets," she rushes him.

"I think I'm going to make you wait on my answer like you made me wait all those years."

"You can't be serious? I hate you," she grits looking at the mischievous grin on his face. "Fine! Take all the time you need. No pressure," she stands up throwing up her hands at the same time.

An hour passes and Magenta's still wide awake. While she continues to work she looks at the daybed where Gee had finally fallen asleep. He had to talk to her for awhile and get comfortable before eventually dozing off. He's sleeping for once so that's all that matters. The last couple of weeks he hadn't gotten more than a few hours each night. Magenta looks at him before smiling to herself. It feels like old times.

The next morning Gee's being nudged awake making him groan. He opens his eyes wanting to shut them again when the light hits his pupils. He looks around in confusion not recognizing where he is then he remembers he came to Gen's last night.

With squinted eyes he feels like he's still asleep and it's a dream with her sitting across from him...

"What time is it?" He sits up rubbing his eyes.

"7a.m. I didn't know if you had to be at work or something."

"I don't really work a set 9 to 5 in an office like you."

"Thought so. Well, I do. 9:30a.m.," she stands up. "I'm gonna fix breakfast. Do you want anything?"

"Sure. You look pretty, by the way," she stands too taking a stretch.

"You've been complimenting me a lot lately. You act like I changed so much from college. I look the same."

"True, but makeup and hair came a longgg way since then."

"Whatchu tryna say? That I looked a mess back then?" She gawks with a hand on her hip.

"I'm just saying. I'm not tryna be in women's business though, but I'm proud of y'all for elevating. Glowing up and shit."

"Shut up," she picks a pillow up from the floor tossing it at him. He catches it placing it back on her daybed.

They sit for the next hour or so having breakfast before Gee decides it's time for him to leave. Gen walks him to the door and stops right before walking out. "Oh, and yes... To the date."

Magenta can only smile while leaning against the door. "Then I'll see you this weekend." Stuffing his hands in his pockets he walks to his car with a smile. That went better than he thought.

_______

Felicity telling Magenta to take a break from work?

Gen & Gee talking things through? Setting up a date?

Comment / Vote💫

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.9K 3.4K 29
You keep me open I'm so devoted to you.
352K 22.2K 141
He loves her with every fiber of his being, but even then he leaves her brokenhearted... Her heart no longer beats for him, yet she can't see him bro...
25.9K 842 18
"You're my drug, I can't live without you."