Never Left Me (Completed)

By GenHope

"Even when we departed you never left me. I carried everything you said to me and did for me even when we wer... More

Description
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four, Part One
Thirty-Four, Part Two
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Five
Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy

Eighteen

8.7K 786 1.2K
By GenHope

2016: December, Fall Semester

Exiting the ran down house in Dallas that's used for only one purpose, Genesis is hit by the brisk winter air. He looks at the time on his watch realizing he's cutting it close. He still has to get back on the highway to Denton, so he can make it on time for class.

He situates the various bags he has that hold money in multiple places and compartments in the backseat and trunk. Once he's done he hops in the driver's side of his car. "We straight?" A dude by the name of C. Tay asks from the passenger seat.

"Yeah, I gotta drop you off 'fore I'm late to class. I gotta test today."

The 21-year-old blows out air. "I don't know why you still going to school. You probably already make more than some of your professors."

"If you think this shit is forever, you a dummy. I do this to pay for my school," Gee mumbles with a blunt between his lips as he lights it.

The discipline that football gave him was gone. He went from not drinking or smoking weed to doing both. Some might say he's spiraling out of control, while he thinks his life is exactly where he wants it to be.

Gee's in a race against the clock, everyday. He damn near makes it to Denton when right before he hits the city limits there's bumper to bumper traffic. They've been doing construction on the busiest highway to the college and students who commute don't help. With a groan, Gee taps his steering wheel feeling anxious.

He feels like he's constantly living in a state of anxiety, especially this last month. It's not easy trying to be a full-time drug dealer and full-time student, huh? His conscious seems to ask in a sarcastic voice.

He leans back in the seat relaxing a bit as Back on Tour by G Herbo makes his surround sound thump. Letting out a sigh he rests his arm on the side of door covering his face. Taking a deep breath he calms himself down bobbing his head to the beat.

That quick it's interrupted when his phone starts ringing. Instead of having it play throughout the car since it's connected, he puts his phone to his ear. "Yeah."

Hearing a familiar male voice jumping right into the call giving out threats, Gee pulls the phone away from his ear looking at the unsaved number. "When I see you, nigga, it's over." He's been getting a lot of calls like this and he's tired. He has an idea of who it is, but doesn't know for sure.

Gee can't even find the energy to get into a screaming match or argue with the person. "If you want, come see me then. If not, leave me the hell alone and quit callin' my fuckin' phone with empty threats," he hangs up.

Niggas hate the fact Gee's an out of towner making all this money in their city. They don't get how he's not from Dallas, but has all these connections. Working with Choice and Fade helped a lot. He's elevated now that they have someone who can supply them with the packs.

The drug dealer who Fade has beef with has become a major problem for everyone. It should've been solved immediately after he had something to do with Juju dying. He killed an innocent person and should've been dealt with.

He shot at Gee that night at the club just because he knows Fade. He shot at Choice's house causing him to move. He's had several run-ins with Fade that resulted in shootouts, car chases, and driveby's. Clearly, Gee's going to have to handle this himself.

Nobody's going to keep threatening his life. He's not going to live everyday paranoid, so this needs to be resolved.

Finally, the traffic's moving. Gee turns his music back up as You Ain't Gang by Lil Bibby plays while he weaves in and out of the two lane highway getting off at his exit. Once he gets to UNT he spends ten minutes trying to find the closest parking spot to the building his class is in.

Quickly he grabs his backpack hustling towards the building because his class starts in ten minutes. While walking he mumbles some of the stuff he needs to know for the test to himself. Without scheduled study halls, he's become way too lax about studying. He's passing all his classes, but before he was making straight A's. He had to if he wanted a certain GPA so he'd be eligible to play. Now he's okay with B's and C's like he's not smart as hell.

Gee enters the lecture hall for his class. The graduate student who's the professor's assistant stands at the front of the class announcing, "Today's test day. Make sure you leave an empty seat between whoever you're sitting next to."

He jogs up the steps finding Colby so he can sit on the same row as him. He does as the student teacher says leaving a seat between them removing his backpack and coat. "Look who decided to show up to class today," Jux daps him before he sits.

"Test days are all that matter and I'm passing," he responds while getting a mechanical pencil out.

"I don't know how you do it," Jux shakes his head. Gee can admit he's drifted apart from everyone. He never gets to hang out with them and it wasn't like they invited him to. He only sees Colby because they have a class together, but Gee usually only comes on big days like today. "This is nice! Is this Gucci?" He asks looking at the jacket in the seat between them.

"Yeah," Gee answers nonchalantly going over his notes one last time.

"And a Rolex?" Gee looks at Jux who's leaned back in the seat. Colby narrows his eyes feeling like he's changed so much since they were roommates freshman year. Yeah, he was selling weed back then but that was normal. A lot of people sell a little bud to make some quick bucks. He's on a different level now. "Hope you bein' safe."

"I'm good, bruh." Colby gives a soft nod as the professor begins class and tests are being passed around the room filled with nearly 200 students.

Most people give him the same looks and a lining of questions that make t easy for Gee to be distant. That includes his own parents. Every time his mother calls she's telling him to quit and expressing worry. He simply tells her to pray for him and keeps doing what he's doing. They might as well save their concerns.

Once Genesis finishes the 50 question test, he turns it in and dips. Most days he's in and out around campus. He goes to class for quizzes, tests, or to turn in work then he's out. He doesn't hang out at the Union, the library, or dining halls like he used to. No time. And no friends really... Fade was right. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some things to make money.

Gee drives straight back to his apartment that seems not to see much of him these days. He shuts his room door behind himself and throws his backpack to the floor. Stripping out of his coat then taking off his Timberland's, Gee sits at his desk where his laptop is. He opens it then cracks his knuckles giving himself a one hour window to do this then he's back out again.

An hour passes and he's still not done though. Staring at the screen of his MacBook, Gee doesn't know what to type. He's trying to finish the last step in his application for the 3+2 Kinesiology combined degree program. His father mentioned it to him his freshman year and that's been the plan since. If he's accepted into it he'll enter the Master of Science program at the beginning of his senior year. It'll shave a year off him being in college for two degrees.

He already submitted his initial application to indicate he has the GPA and completed the necessary hours along with a transcript. He was passed through meaning he'd be considered. Now he has to finish a candidate statement that has a deadline for the end of this semester, which is in two weeks.

The candidate statement is an essay where he has to describe his interest in enrolling in the Grad Track Pathway including his reasons for applying, his academic goals, and career goals.

He has answers for none of them. He doesn't know why he's applying, his academic goals, or career goals. He doesn't even know why he's still in school, what he wants to use his degree for if he gets it, nothing. He's just here because it's the right thing to do. What else would he do?

Gee looks at the half-written sentence on his screen as the text cursor indicator blinks. He has started the paragraph several times only to think it's not good enough and erase it. What can he say? He's in no extracurricular activities around campus now that he's not on the football team. He doesn't have any goals outside of getting this degree thing over with.

He knows the person in charge of picking candidates will look him up. What they'll see is sports blogs and articles. They'll talk about how great of a player he is and the awards he's won, but also all the drama including his arrests. He may not have a record after completing all the requirements for his felony diversion program, but his fuck ups have been widely reported.

Gee's leg bounces up and down. Looking at one of the rubber bands on his wrist that's mostly for money these days instead of quick relief, he pulls it to pop himself a couple times. He takes a deep breath, but still slams his laptop shut out of frustration.

This would be a day he needs a motivational pep talk from Magenta. Too bad they haven't spoken in weeks since the argument. Magenta would also be able to help him write this. She's good at writing, her words, and creative stuff. He's good with math and science. They balanced each other in that way.

Almost like his mind was being read, Gee's phone begins ringing. Looking at the screen he's surprised when he sees it's Magenta. "Hello?" He answers. Before he could even smile that she finally reached out, it fades at what she tells him. "I'm on my way right now," he gets up.

45 minutes later, Gee's entering a Dallas hospital going to the floor Magenta said she's on. Walking down a cold, white hallway he spots Gen leaned against the wall on the phone. Seeing him coming she ends her call as he approaches.

It feels like she hasn't laid eyes on him in a while. These days he does more 'working' than coming around. Neither of them realized three long weeks went by. Magenta's been busy with the end of the semester approaching with papers and tests.

You can tell it's awkward because they don't know whether to hug or not.  "What happened?" Gee asks seeing the tiredness on Gen's body from being at the hospital all night.

"They shot Choice. He's been in surgery since early this morning." She pauses crossing her arms over her chest shaking her head. "His friend who was with him said they left from dropping off a shipment in Fort Worth. Someone must've been following them and at a red light they started shooting."

Gee narrows his eyes thinking. "What are the doctor's saying?"

"We'll see," she rubs her tired, dry eyes. She did all her crying last night and had nothing left today. "They're saying critical condition, but that was hours ago."

"Does that friend have an idea of who?"

Gen looks off to the side then up at Gee. She's hesitant then answers, "Kasino."

Gee furrows his eyebrows. "The dude who killed Juju? The drug dealer?"

She nods. "Yeah. That man's been terrorizing anyone who sells drugs in Dallas the last couple months. He's been trying to ignite war with anybody who wants to go there."

"Yeah, I've been getting my calls," he mumbles faintly.

"What're you talking about?"

"Threats," he shrugs like it's no big deal.

"You need to take that serious, Gee. Choice had been gettin threats for months. I guess he figured no one would try him if he stayed out the way. Shit is getting crazy."

"I know. Fade's been really irrational and impulsive lately. I don't know if the paranoia's kicking in that someone will get him or what."

"When isn't he? He usually becomes that way without Choice. My brother was the rational one. The voice of reason. Fade's ungrateful ass can't see that. Honestly, I think he stayed friends with my brothers so long to use their connections. Did Choice tell you about one of his stash houses getting robbed?"

"Nah. Forreal?"

"Yeah, stole everything he grew. You know he has good shit, so it set him back over $15,000. I'm not accusing anybody, but he only trusted a few to know where his stash and grow houses were. You, Pop's, Fade, and like two other dudes."

Gee automatically remembers a conversation he had with Fade. "Why would someone shoot Choice? He only sells weed. That makes no sense."

"Niggas been hatin' on Choice, especially because they thought he'd end up in prison like my Dad and Cortlen. Your main man is at the top of that list," she smacks her lips. "Fade's been jealous of my brothers since they were kids. Everybody could tell including them."

"So why be friends that long?"

"48 Laws of Power... Rule #2: Never put too much trust in friends. Learn how to use enemies. They knew he was or would be an enemy, so they kept him close. Choice knew he was up to something, but he needed to figure out what he was doing and how to use him. I'm sure Fade was doing the same thing with Choice."

Gee bounces his eyebrows up. "Can't even have friends nowadays."

"Fade's jealous of you too. He didn't like how easily Choice trusted you. How easily he started letting you work for him and promoting you. Plus, you're good with words. You have a way of charming people that I'm sure helps with your profession," she uses air quotes.

Genesis can agree on that. He's always been able to talk himself into a room. For the most part people in charge or older people always love him. It's the people who are supposed to be his peers that hate on him because they feel like he should be on the same level or under them.

"I don't know how you trust Fade enough to work close with him. Especially with that serious level shit. He's the type that'll throw you under the bus."

"Who said I trust him? Rule #3: Conceal your intention," he refers to 48 Laws of Power like she did earlier. "Never let someone know all the cards in your hand. Fade was my way in. I guess we're all keeping our enemies closer. You remember at first Fade would always ask why I was so quiet?"

"Yeah, he thought you were shy or something." She chuckles. "I swear I'm the only person you were talkative with from the beginning."

"You listen long enough and you'll hear something useful. Can't do that if you're always talking. Rule #4: Always say less than necessary. I would let Fade talk and make him think I'm absorbing the game he's spitting. I was really letting him tell on himself. Tell his intentions, especially when he got to talkin' about your brother."

Gee can see Magenta's tongue touch her top row of teeth with a small smile. Her head falls before she looks back up. "Not gonna lie, I thought you were a lost cause. I thought you got sucked into that life and let Fade infiltrate your mind. I should've known you were smarter than that. You've always been a calculated person."

"I'm no dummy. Gotta stay observant and vigilant. I've been playing chess." Before Gee even knew a Choice or Breon existed he had his father to each him the game. Genaro made it out of the streets alive and not doing life in prison for a reason. He'll always trust his father's word. It got him this far.

She nods her head in understanding. "I called you here because you're like family now. Choice cares about you–"

"And you?" He asks with raised eyebrows.

She takes a deep breath putting weight on one hip while leaning her shoulder against the wall. "You know I care about you. I don't want you to do anything stupid. I want you to be careful. Watch your back before you end up here like Choice. I don't wanna see you hurt."

"I'll be fine," he assures her.

She nods. "Kasino's time is ticking. My Uncle always said when enough dudes are scared of you, they'll get rid of you. A scared man will kill you. Fade too," Gen says softly while looking in the distance. She hated to say that about someone who was like a big brother figure, but he hasn't been acting very brotherly.

It's quiet between them as Gee takes the time to examine Magenta's appearance. She wears an emerald green Juicy Couture velour tracksuit that covers most of her body. He's still able to notice she has scratches all on her hands. There are Band-Aids on multiple fingers and he can only assume those nails are broken. Whatever happened she clearly put up a fight.

He puts his index finger under her chin bringing her head up. "What?" she asks as he moves her head side to side. It only takes her a second to realize what he's doing. "I'm fine. See, no marks on my face."

"You really need to tell someone what's going on. If something happens to you, they won't even know what's going on."

Gen shakes her head as he moves his hand from her chin. "I don't need to. I'm handling it on my own."

"Are you?"

"Yes, I haven't seen him in like 3 weeks."

"Did you ever tell Ms. Temp or Choice what was going on?"

"I didn't tell anyone." She huffs not really wanting to talk about this. "I tried to get a restraining order on his ass, but they gave me the run around. Especially after I said the name and they realized he's on the basketball team."

"Sounds about right. This school and the police protect any athletes when it comes to violence against women. Domestic violence, rape, sexual assault in general. Anything else they crack down on.

"Yeah... You staying?" she points to the waiting room where her family sits. Genesis looks at his watch then nods. He follows behind Magenta and they both sit down.

A couple hours later, Gee's walking out of the hospital. The only update they gave on Choice was that he's out of surgery and they're monitoring him.

Gee had put his phone on silent, so he's just now seeing a bunch of missed calls from Trinidad. Calling her back, she answers with attitude saying, "Did you forget I had a doctor's appointment today?"

"Shit, I forgot. My fault. There's been a lot going on. Everything was okay, right?"

Honestly, Gee's 50/50 about believing the baby is his. He just doesn't want to be an asshole by saying he has doubts. Him and Trinidad weren't exclusive and they still aren't. He's not necessarily ecstatic, but he's warming up to the idea of having a kid. He doesn't have a choice.

"Yeah, it was fine. You told me you were going to get another place in Denton that I can move into... Me living in Dallas and you out there for school isn't going to work. And I'm damn sure not staying at your apartment with that roommate in that full-size bed," she gripes.

"We have plenty of time. Why you rushin'? You're like 2 months. I have time to find you an apartment. Matter of fact, find one, we can tour 'em, and you pick. I gotta lot going on. Finals coming up and shit," he walks through the parking garage watching his surroundings.

"You gonna sign the lease and pay my rent, right?"

Gee wants to smack his lips, but he doesn't. "Trinidad, you're 25. I'm 20. My credit barely exists. You're gonna have to sign the lease. I also don't have a job for pay stubs."

"So how'd you get the apartment you have now?" He can tell she rolled her eyes.

"It's an off-campus student apartment. They don't do all'at. As long as you have the rent and go to the colleges in the city you can live here. I'll call you back later."

Climbing into his car they hang up and he sighs. What did he get himself into?

By nightfall, Gee sits in his car parked on a dark road with C. Tay passenger side. They sit on the block of an address given to them on where Kasino usually is. They've been here about an hour patiently waiting for him to come out.

Gee can tell C. Tay's getting antsy because he keeps talking. He's getting on Gee's last nerves. "Shut up," he shushes him.

Right now he has a kill or be killed mentality, so tonight has to go right...

Gee sits up watching someone finally exit the house. He knows it's Kasino by his Dallas shag that makes him always stick out like a sore thumb. Gee's not from Texas, so maybe he just doesn't get it.

"Aisha said he's going to a corner store." C. Tay looks at a text from the girl who gave them the drop.

Once Kasino pulls off, Gee follows behind at a distance. A minute later they're pulling up to a gas station. They both watch Kasino park beside another car. Someone walks from around the familiar old school car approaching Kasino's vehicle.

"Is that Fade?" Gee furrows his eyebrows. They both watch Fade lean over Kasino's car to talk before something's exchanged.

"What the hell is he doing with him?"

"How in the hell– That nigga shot at me at the club. Shot up Choice's old house. And he's working with him?"

"He's a snake. Both of them can get got. Either we're gonna do this or not..." C. Tay looks at Gee. Nothing else had to be said as they both hop out of the car.

An hour later, Gee's back in Denton from Dallas. After showering and changing clothes, he drives around aimlessly using up gas and thinking. He as a million thoughts in his head as Can't Trust a Soul by Lil Bibby plays lowly.

The whole drive he's trying to convince himself he did the right thing. Kasino threatened his life and others. Fade showed he isn't loyal to anyone but himself. His mind flashes to him watching Juju take her last breath as her eyes went blank in that club parking lot. That quickly it shifts to him standing over Fade who's bleeding out from multiple shots.

Fade begged for his life promising he'll just 'go away.' They both know that wouldn't happen because Fade loves the game too much. He'll just come back. Gee was about to make sure that never happens until he heard sirens in the near distance.

C. Tay said come on and they left both Kasino and Fade bleeding in front of a gas station. He knows for a fact Kasino's dead... I can't trust a soul, I can't trust a soul, oh no, the hook plays.

Someone honking their horn at him makes him come back from daydreaming. He pulls over because he's driving on auto-pilot and it's not safe. "Fuck!" he hits the steering wheel. Gee looks at the view of the university in distance. He stares at the huge windmills that turn in the night sky. Getting a sensation of feeling sick, Gee quickly opens his door throwing up. Things have definitely gone too far...

Gee decides to go home, but when he gets to the apartment complex he parks in front of Magenta's building. He goes up the stairs knocking on the door, while at the same time dialing her number hoping she's home.

"I'm outside. Can you open the door?" A moment later she swings it open looking confused. By her rubbing her eyes he can tell she was asleep.

"It's like 1a.m.," Gen still lets him in. Looking up at him it takes a second for her to read his body language. "What's wrong?"

Gee shakes his head and closes the door behind him. He says nothing, but puts his hand on her waist gently pushing her into her room. "You're scaring me. Talk to me."

He shuts the door behind them then finally speaks, "I think I'm in too deep."

That's all he needed her to say to get it. "I just-" he paces as she sits on her bed.

As much as she wanted to say she warned him, she doesn't do it. It's not the time for I told you so's. She can see the pain and stress in his eyes. Things had reached a point of no return with Kasino and Fade.

Gen grabs his hand to stop him from pacing. She pulls him towards her and wraps her arms around him. Just from a hug, Gee melted like ice and he could no longer appear solid. When the tears came down from his eyes, Magenta simply consoled him.

Walking in from her shift at work, Magenta groans while entering her bedroom. The only thing she does is kick off her Vans before going to the kitchen opening the refrigerator. She scans her eyes around not seeing what she's looking for. After moving stuff around she still can't find her container of pre-packaged and cut pineapple.

"Where the fuck is my pineapple?" She says out loud hoping one of her roommates hears her. She smacks her lips slamming the fridge door shut.

Looking at the dry erase board on the refrigerator, Gen can see where her other roommate, Shinara, left a note in marker. "We see you! Jesus sees you, so stop stealing!" She reads to herself not being able to fight a chuckle.

Shinara's a very religious girl, so from day one her and Amil butted heads. Gen thought her and Amil would be going at it, but those two had it beat. They argue about everything. Shinara's convinced Amil's going to hell for all the partying, weed smoking, drinking, and bringing different guys in that she does. Amil thinks Shinara is a stick in the mud who needs some good dick and a blunt to loosen up. Magenta's somewhere caught in the middle.

Shinara must've heard Gen because she comes out of her room. "Hey," she greets her.

"Heyy. Did you see the pineapple I had in here?" She asks pointing at the fridge.

"Apparently, dirty decided to clean out the fridge and threw some of our food out. The stuff she thought was old," Shinara scoffs.

"She cleaned?" She asks surprised. "And if she was gonna clean out the fridge she should've asked first. I just went to the store yesterday and got that. It was brand new and unopened."

"Exactly. She takes three weeks to wash dishes, but now she wants to clean the kitchen. I told her she needs to pay me back, so I'd do the same if I were you. I reported her because I'm tired of it. She steals food, always has random people over here, smokes weed inside."

The door for Amil's room flies open and she storms out. Here we go, Gen thinks. "If you're gonna talk about me say it to my face!" Amil puts a hand on her hip.

"I already have. Am I supposed to be scared? The only person I fear is God. You should too because you're doomed for hell at the rate you're going," Shinara looks her up and down in disgust.

"Who are you to judge me?! You reported me and they came and searched my room. They took my weed and said if it happens again they'll kick me out."

"Good!"

"You dumb bitch! If I get kicked out..."

"Why are you calling me out of my name?" Shinara looks up saying, "Jesus, please put your sandals on and come get her! I'm saved, but I'm about to beat this bitches ass! I will stomp your ears together you keep playin' with me."

She comes towards Amil getting in her face. Gen simply grabs her bag of Goldfish crackers from the cabinet beginning to eat them. She learned not to get between these two. She watched them argue for a couple minutes before saying, "Alright. Calm down."

"Forget this junk," Shinara throws up her hands. "I have class." She grabs her backpack from the dining table leaving the apartment.

"Shinara's right," Magenta comments while putting microwaveable cheddar potatoes in the microwave.

"What?" Amil looks at her sideways. "I didn't do anything. That bitch hated me from day one because she's a judgemental saint."

"You let a grown, drunk man sleep on the couch of an apartment where three women live... Without permission or informing us first, might I add. He came into my room and could've sexually assaulted me."

Something still doesn't sit right with Magenta about that. She's not saying Amil had anything to do with it, but it seemed like it. If she was involved, she wouldn't have come in Gen's room when she heard the screaming, right?

"I don't think he was going to do that," Amil already gets defensive.

"He literally put his hand over my mouth. He was definitely going to try and rape me if I didn't start fighting back. I haven't been able to sleep since that night." Amil says nothing as if it's no big deal. "You steal people's food, don't clean, use all my dishes then don't wash them, have people over all the time who are loud, throw parties, people who smoke weed in the living room, you got a puppy when this is a no pet apartment. I can go on and on."

"Well, damn. I pay rent here too. I should be able to do something around here. It's literally my way or the highway with y'all. I can't do anything right around here."

"You need to be more considerate while we live together." Magenta says nothing else and leaves the kitchen going to her room.

She turns her tv on picking a random show on Netflix. She wants to eat, shower, then start on any assignments she has for the night. Until her food's ready, she checks her phone when a notification pops up on the screen...

Apple ID Sign In Requested...

She looks at the map knowing it's Caleb by the location. Magenta rolls her eyes clicking Don't Allow. She knows he's trying to hack her Apple account, again. Luckily she changed the password. He thinks he's going to get into her iCloud, contacts, photos, iMessages, and whatever else he can find to expose her, but there's nothing on it anyway. She's not stupid enough to leave inappropriate pictures or videos on there. She's glad she didn't send him any either. This isn't his first time trying it.

For the past couple of weeks she's been telling herself she's done with this situation and she's about to get out of it. Gen wanted to slowly and cordially step away from him knowing how he is. She had been doing that the last month, but he started doing little crazy ass stuff like this.

He'd drive by her apartment then text or call asking about specific cars in the parking lot. Mind you, Magenta lives in an apartment. That means anyone can park there, especially because it's not a gated complex.

She blocked him, so he'd show up to her job or her classes on campus. Any guy that he thought she was talking to, he'd threaten them. Which Magenta wasn't trying to talk or date anyone. Not with his crazy ass still lurking around her life. At this point, he's stalking her.

Her mind was becoming trained to think two steps ahead of Caleb to protect herself making her just as crazy as him. It was beginning to damage her mentally. She didn't want to be that woman who sticks around for years in an abusive relationship. These 6 months have been long enough.

People think toxic relationships are all fun and game until someone really gets hurt. She's not waiting for that to happen. She just wants to move on.

Magenta eats and takes a shower, but she remembers she needs to get a report cover for a paper she has due tomorrow. She makes the quick run to CVS then comes right back to the apartment.

With her face in her phone, she strolls back to her room opening the door. She flicks on the light and nearly jumps out of her skin seeing Caleb sitting on her bed. "What the hell?" Her phone drops to the carpet floor with a light thud.

"So, your phone works? Wonder why you haven't been answering my calls or texts..." He says with a smile stepping on the phone before picking it up.

"I blocked you. How'd you get in here?"

"Your roommate with the fat ass let me in before she left. You know, seeing as I'm your boyfriend." Magenta hates when he smiles because it usually has some crazy idea behind it. He's a psychopath.

She knows it was Amil who let him in. Something else they told her not to do... Don't let someone in for another roommate if that person isn't actually here. Doesn't matter how often you see them over.

"I've been trying to breakup with you for weeks, but you don't get it. I'm done, Caleb!"

"Done? You ain't done with shit," he stands up from the bed towering over Gen.

"I am. I'm tired of this toxic shit. We need to let it go."

Caleb looks into the distance and she wonders what he's thinking. She realized if he goes into a blank stare then looks at her in a certain way, the crazy is activated and to prepare herself for bullshit.

The last time Magenta saw him they got into a big fight and he damn near kidnapped her. A couple weeks ago, they were supposed to be going somewhere but while in the car they got into an argument. Gen told him to take her back home, so he did.

But when they got to her apartments he accused her of having a guy waiting there for her. It was a random guy she didn't know who was waiting for the campus bus. She lives in the front apartment right where the bus picks students up...

She only had one leg out of his car before he took off. She could've fell out of the car and got her leg ran over, he sped off so fast. She had no choice but to get into the car and shut the door. He drove like a mad man for 30 minutes not stopping to let her out.

Up until then, most of their situations involved Caleb yelling, them tussling, pushing, or them roughing each other up. That was the first day he actually hit her. He closed fist punched her in the stomach. Magenta's nails are broken from clawing at his face and fighting him while he was driving.

She almost wanted to jump out of a moving car just to get away, but he finally let her out. She walked back the rest of the way to her apartment. She still has the bruise on her stomach from the punch. She told no one what happened and hadn't seen or talked to Caleb since that day... Until now.

"Give me my phone sand you need to leave." She tries to grab her phone back from him, but he moves his hand quickly.

"Who you been talkin' to? You ain't been talkin' to any other niggas?" He asks trying to unlock her phone, but she changed the password. She rolls her eyes because he always wants to go through her phone. "Oh, you changed it? Unlock it. Matter fact, what's the code?" He asks not wanting to hand it to her, so she can take it back.

"No, I don't gotta do shit. Give me my stuff and get out."

"Give me the fuckin' passcode!" He raises his voice.

At the worst time, her phone starts ringing and it happens to be Gee calling. He most likely wants to check on her brother, but of course, Caleb's thinking some other shit.

"I knew you didn't want to be with me because of this nigga. You tryna be with him now? You so fuckin' dumb. You really think that nigga loves you, but really he just wants to fuck on your gullible ass."

Caleb bumps passed Gen storming to the balcony door still holding her phone. He swings it open and with no hesitation he throws her phone over. Magenta rushes over seeing it fall to the concrete street. A car flies past rolling over her car breaking it even more.

"Are you crazy?!" she yells. This is the second phone he's broken. The other one he threw it at a wall after going through it and seeing texts from Gee. She's stuck for a second not knowing what to do anymore.

"I just wanna talk to you. Aiight?"

Gen's honestly zoned out wondering how she got into this situation. She regrets ever giving him the time of day. "Fine, you wanna talk, let's talk." She walks back into the apartment and he follows. Standing in the middle of the living room she says, "What?"

"You gotta calm down first," he comes in closing the balcony door. "We gon' talk." Magenta sits on the coffee table putting her head in her hands. He squats down in front of her trying to get her to look at him. "I'm sorry for what happened last time. You understand, right?"

She looks up slowly with a confused look. "Understand what? You punched me."

"I been stressin', you know that. This season of basketball's been hard. This is my senior year then I'm entering the draft. I got a lot on my plate. I mean, you not really helpin'." She stretches her neck forward that he's really trying to spin this back on her.

"I'm not helping?"

"You cheating on me got my head all over the place. I'm not focused." He pauses.

"Uh, sir, you've been doing your dirt too!"

"That don't matter. That's over with. You done with Gee and I'm done with my ex," Caleb waves it off like it's settled. "It's gon' be us two. We're together. I love you. You love me?" She can't even answer. "You not gonna leave me. I need you right now. I'd never hurt you."

Magenta's completely silent. When he tries to touch and kiss on her, she flinches. "Stop."

"I SAID I'd never hurt you," he reiterates with more aggression. That quickly he calms back down getting soft again. He tries to move her hands from her face to kiss her, but she doesn't kiss back. He stands up angrily slapping a Christmas decoration from the table. "What's your fuckin' problem?! But you can fuck that other nigga though? How we in a relationship, but we haven't had sex in like two months? We don't have sex, always arguing, you always making me mad. We can't just be happy?"

"Exactly, that's why we need to breakup!" She says in a duh tone hoping he gets her point.

She doesn't understand why he's fighting so hard to stay in this relationship. He's emotionally and physically abusive, and cheating. She's cheating too. They might as well be single.

As soon as Gen opens up her body becoming more relaxed, he takes the chance to snatch her necklace off. She just started wearing the 222 pendant Gee got her again. She was hoping it would bring some type good energy back. Once again, it's getting broken.

"You think I don't know what this is? That nigga gave it to you. I noticed Gee has a tattoo of these numbers and you have it on your wrist."

Magenta doesn't give him a reaction making him more mad. She's praying and hoping one of her roommates will come home soon.

When Gen notices him balling his fist like he's going to hit her, she stands up. "I swear to God if you hit me.

Because she was expecting a punch, it catches her off-guard when he backhand slaps her. She doesn't even grab her face. She didn't fall in the ground crying like expected either. From that moment they begin fighting.

"What's your problem?" Caleb asks guarding himself as if he didn't hit her first. With her lip tucked, Magenta angrily swings on him repeatedly. Somehow they end up on the floor and she kicks him in the head repeatedly until she's able to get up. While standing up she purposely steps on his head. In a fast pace she goes to the kitchen pulling the knife drawer open with force. She grabs one of the knives into her hand gripping the handle tightly.

"I'm not going to say it again. Leave now!" She walks towards him.

"You're not gonna stab me," he challenges her touching his bleeding lip.

"Keep fuckin' playin' with me. Keep trying to put your hands on me," she threatens. "It's coo. Watch," she nods her head going to her bedroom. Magenta pulls one of the drawers to her dresser open grabbing her old Samsung Galaxy that she still kept even after getting an iPhone.

She usually only used it for the storage, but with Caleb she needed to keep a second phone. Caleb tries to come towards her to grab the phone as she dials a number. That knife pointed at him keeps him a couple feet away.

"I'm callin' Gee. You still don't wanna leave? After that it's the police." Although, she knows the police don't do anything.

"What you callin' him for?"

"You so tough when it comes to females, but wit a nigga you not gon' do shit!"

"That's your problem now. You always got people in our business, especially that dude."

"Who? I don't have anyone in our business. I actually protect your dumb ass."

She really did protect him. Yeah, Gee stepped in once or twice. Other than that, Magenta kept everything she went through to herself. She didn't want to put anybody else in it. She was also trying to figure out how to get out of it her damn self. She's never been in a situation like this.

"He wanna be captain-save-a-hoe so bad 'cause you always running to that nigga crying about me."

She nods her head hoping he keeps that same energy. ""Gee, come get me right now!"

"What happened?" Gee asks.

"I'm about to kill this nigga. He put his hands on me." That's all he needed hear to say he's on his way. "Stay on the phone with me." She puts the phone on speaker sitting it down.

Gen looks at Caleb stupid realizing he's crying. "Why are you doing this to me?"

"What? You hit me first, nigga."

"You really love this nigga more than me." Gen stares at him emotionless. If he thought she was going to contest his statement, he's wrong. And if he thought his fake tears would make her stay with him, he's very wrong. "It's cool cause you really was a side bitch rebound. I was only with you cause my coaches said I need to stay from my ex until shit blow over after she called the police."

"That's fine. Then go be with her since you love her so much and leave me the hell alone finally. Get the fuck out!"

"Fine! I'll leave!"

Magenta watches him storm out then quickly goes behind him to lock the door. A few minutes later Gee's arriving looking confused. "He already left."

"You good? Let me see you." Gen already holds a bag of ice to her face from him slapping her. She moves it so he can look and her entire cheek is red.

"I'm fine," she says despite her clear injuries. She falls onto the couch putting her elbows on her knees letting her head drop into her hands.

"Why the fuck you keep staying with this nigga?"

"I'm done forreal this time."

"Are you serious or just saying it?"

"I'm serious." Gee actually believes her. He sits on the couch next to her as they sit in silence.

"We still on for our annual Friends-mas dinner?"

"You can't throw friends on the front of every holiday and make it a thing," she laughs until her face starts hurting.

"Come on," he pulls her. Her head falls into his lap and he holds the ice pack to her cheek for her. "I can't call it secret Santa. How secret is only two people exchanging gifts. So?"

She chuckles to herself while also closing her eyes. "I forgot about that," she breathes out.

"What do you mean? We always go to dinner and exchange Christmas gifts before we go back home for Winter break."

"I figured with everything going on... We can still go."

"You got my gift, right?" Gen opens her eyes seeing the smile on his face. "We good?"

"Of course. We're always good." She closes her eyes again letting out a sigh. "Always," she mumbles.

A Couple Days Later...

"Why does this feel like a date?" Kiara asks from Magenta's bedroom as she gets ready in her bathroom. She's currently getting dressed for dinner with Genesis.

"It's not. We've been doing this since freshman year. The only exception is that everyone else won't be there."

"Exactly, making it look very much like a date."

"Who told y'all to ruin the tradition and not come this year?" Gen stands in the doorway pretty much ready.

Kiara shrugs. "It just feels weird being around Gee now. He's so... different."

"I don't think he is. But you wouldn't be the same if you went through what he has. All his friends switching up on him..."

"Don't do that."

Gen throws up her hands. "Hey, I get it. People grow apart. It is what it is. Me and Gee are closer, so I get it more than you guys probably would."

"Maybe. I was saying that it seems like a date to say you look good though. That dress. That ass," she holds up the 'superb' hand gesture looking at Gen...

An hour later, Magenta sits at dining table for two at a restaurant with Gee. Kiara's right. It does kinda feel like a date. After ordering their food they both sit across from each other with their gifts for the other.

There's a elephant in the room that'll probably never be spoken about. Gen heard through the grapevine about Kasino being killed at a gas station.  She didn't want to know anything, but it's obvious. The night it allegedly happened was when he came over crying. She doesn't want to talk about it or even think about it.

"What's going on with Trinidad?" She asks not knowing what else to talk about.

He rubs his head. "Stressful. Shit, too stressful for me not to know if the baby's for sure mine. I'm not judging anybody because I had my shit going on with you, but Trinidad had a lot going on..."

"I'm well aware. Trinidad's from my neighborhood. She's always been like that."

"How come you never mentioned knowing her?"

She shrugs. "I don't really know her like that. I know of her. She's more my brother and Fade's age group. Grown folks always called her fast, but they would call you that just for wearing red nail polish before high school."

"Yeah, I don't want her going crazy if I say I have doubts. I'm not looking for a way out, I just don't know."

"Say something. It's better than taking care of a kid without knowing if it's yours."

Gee nods. "You ready to open the gifts?" He asks with an eager smile.

"You so ready. Come on," she grabs her gift bag extending it to him and they exchange.

Magenta watches him go first getting excited at everything she bought him. "Oooh, you tryna see my thang swang," he pulls out a Polo Ralph Lauren grey sweatsuit. "You nasty."

"You know I'ma creep." With each gift she smiles at his reaction. She feels like she hasn't seen him genuinely happy in awhile.

"Open yours," he urges her. Gen takes out the tissue paper. She goes for one of the jewelry boxes first opening it to see a Pandora Charm bracelet. She looks at each charm noticing one that says 'Best friends' and 'Always there.'

"Aww, you really like me," She says teasingly before letting him put it on for her.

"Yeah, yeah. I just wanted to thank you for always sticking by me even with everyone else distancing themselves from me. You're always there for me."

"You are too," she smiles.

He points for her to open the other jewelry box. Gen opens it seeing a ring from Pandora. "I know this isn't a gift you get a friend, but obviously you mean more. One day we'll figure this shit out. Regardless, you know how I feel about you."

"Is this a promise ring because what's the promise?" He chuckles at her neck rolling.

"I'm promising that one day I'ma get right and be what you need..."

"One day? You think I'ma wait on you forever?"

"I'm not asking you to. I know any day you could end up with somebody. I can't make certain promises about this, but I'm giving myself a couple months. I should have enough money stacked up to be straight. I need enough to comfortably get through my last year of school. At least my Bachelor's. I also got this idea from Choice to get a school loan, but invest it into something else. Something where I'm not just spending the money, but getting something back."

"Interesting," she mumbles putting the ring on.

"I want to be with you, bad," he emphasizes making her look at him. "But you deserve the best. You deserve better. And I'm not just talking about Caleb. I'm talking about myself and what I'm offering. You deserve someone who can give you everything you never had. Someone who's going to marry you. A person where your first child is both of your first child. Someone who can give you the house in the suburbs, a dog. Someone better than me."

"You deserve better too."

"What do you mean?"

"The fact you look so confused that you deserve better," she breathily laughs. "You have to stop being so hard on yourself thinking you have to save everyone. Save yourself first. Love yourself first."

"I'm trying," Gee says knowing she's right.

"Me too," she does a small smile. "We both deserve unconditional love to the fullest. I talked to my Granny. She said something interesting. She said before you meet someone, you walk with two eyes open. But when you have your person by your side, you should be able to close one. I've always felt safe with you, even through all this craziness. I've never had a problem closing that one eye when I was by your side," she shrugs.

And that's all that needed to be said.

After dinner, Gee takes Magenta back to her apartment. He stays in her room talking for awhile before looking at the time. "I gotta get going." Gee already told himself he would make some quick money tonight then he's going home to Kentucky for the Winter break and laying low to let all this blow over.

Gen pauses from taking off her heels asking, "Can you stay?"

"Uh, I don't know. I really have to do something."

"Please." He can't really decipher the look in her eyes. "I haven't been able to sleep and-" she vaguely explains. He assumes it has to do with Caleb. She didn't even tell him what happened with Amil's friend coming in her room.

"I'll spend the night with you," he gives in. Gen gives him a smile with a thank you. Gee shoots a text saying he's not coming tonight deciding to get comfortable and taking off his shoes.

That night, Gee slept over. They were off the notion of sleeping with one another. It only complicates things. It was more so about feeling safe and just getting one good night of sleep.

By the morning, Genesis is leaving out by 9a.m. Still wearing his clothes from last night Gee jogs down the apartment stairs walking towards his car. Halfway there he stops on the sidewalk. Something just tells him to go back.

Gee go back up the stairs knocking on Gen's apartment door. It takes her awhile to open the door and she's already stepping to the side saying, "You must've forgot something like always."

It catches her off guard when he grabs her face kissing her. When he pulls back she looks into his eyes furrowing her eyebrows. "I love you." You would've thought it would be the last time they're going to see each other.

"I love you too," she says with a confused tone watching him walk right back out.

Gee has a weird feeling about today for some reason. Maybe he's paranoid after what he did to Kasino and Fade. He's waiting on someone to come for him again. Despite that he goes about his regular plans for today, including picking up a package.

Driving on the highway towards Dallas with a trunk full of weed, Gee notices a car following him. He turns down a road noticing another car beginning to follow him. Looking in his rearview mirror he sighs knowing what's about to happen...

_________

I was really fighting for my life in that relationship with "Caleb", chile. If you're in a toxic or abusive relationship GET OUT! Don't ignore red flags either.

Choice getting shot? Gee killing someone & shooting Fade? Do you think Fade's dead?

Gen finally done with Caleb? The conversation she had with Gee at dinner?

Gee getting arrested again?

Comment / Vote💫

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.9K 3.1K 28
You keep me open I'm so devoted to you.
22 4 14
Heartbreak, torn apart, brought together, "You will always be the love of my life, even when we are no longer in each other's" A story of that the l...
3.1K 23 8
"I told you I got you forever Tay," Duke says while slightly pulling away from me. "Then stay." "Forever bro, remember that," he points while walking...
174K 3.2K 57
We made a bond from the very beginning I found my homie and my best friend I'mma be there for ya till the very end No matter what, no matter what...