He Will Be Mine

By CeraRyland

Alyssa Bentley is the daughter of the Alpha of New Horizon and is set to become the next Alpha of the pack. S... More

Prologue: A Fateful Encounter
Chapter 1: The Breakdown
Chapter 2: The Plan
Chapter 3: Camping on the Lake
Chapter 4: The Morning After
Chapter 5: Just Friends Who Flirt
Chapter 6: She's My One and Only
Chapter 7: Their First Time
Chapter 8: Consequences
Chapter 9: Homeward Bound
Chapter 10: Welcome Weekend
Chapter 11: The Party
Chapter 12: Monday Morning
Chapter 13: Mixed-Up Friends
Chapter 14: Girls' Night
Chapter 15: Not Together, Not Available Either
Chapter 16: Date Night
Chapter 17: Project Partners
Chapter 18: 11 Girls and a Guy
Chapter 19: Costume Party Confessional
Chapter 20: Reality Check
Chapter 21: If Wishes Were Horses
Chapter 22: Can't Stay Away
Chapter 23: The Invitation
Chapter 24: The Talk
Chapter 25: Thanksgiving Break Reunion
Chapter 26: Man-to-Man
Chapter 27: The Trials, Part I
Chapter 28: The Trials Part II
Chapter 29: The Trials Part III
Chapter 30: The Trials Part IV
Chapter 31: When You Love Someone
Chapter 32: Exactly What He Needs Right Now
Chapter 33: Third Wheel
Chapter 34: Sharing Secrets
Chapter 35: Party Blues
Chapter 36: Officially Over
Chapter 37: The Elders Convene Part I
Chapter 38: Road Trip Trio
Chapter 39: The Elders Convene Part II
Chapter 40: The Elders' Update
Chapter 41: We Need to Talk
Chapter 42: Her Two Mates (Part I)
Chapter 43: Her Two Mates (Part II)
Chapter 44: Meeting Mari
Chapter 45: Christmas in Wisconsin (Part I)
Chapter 46: Christmas in Wisconsin (Part II)
Chapter 47: Going Home
Chapter 48: Unexpected
Chapter 49: Denied
Chapter 50: It's Not Over Yet
Chapter 51: The Notebook
Chapter 52: Righting a Wrong
Chapter 53: Alpha's Apology
Chapter 54: The Librarian
Chapter 55: Back to School
Chapter 56: The Sort-of Plan
Chapter 57: Two Mates and No Lunch
Chapter 58: The Witch
Chapter 59: To Turn or Not to Turn
Chapter 60: Love in the Library
Chapter 61: Unfinished Business
Chapter 62: Two Valentines
Chapter 63: Spring Break
Chapter 64: The Change
Chapter 65: Part of the Pack
Chapter 66: The Archives
Chapter 67: Meeting Eli
Chapter 68: How to Werewolf
Chapter 69: The Secrets of Onyx
Chapter 70: Changed Mates
Chapter 71: Claimed
Chapter 72: Alpha's Prize
Chapter 73: Visions of Silver
Chapter 74: Alpha's Demands
Chapter 75: Marked and Mated
Chapter 76: Back to Kinda Normal
Chapter 77: Overcompensating
Chapter 78: The New Normal
Chapter 79: Friday Night
Chapter 80: Exposed
Chapter 81: Alpha's Marks
Chapter 82: Ma Jenkins (Part I)
Chapter 83: Ma Jenkins (Part II)
Chapter 84: Arguing For Our Lives (Part I)
Chapter 86: The Elders Deliberate
Chapter 87: Awkward
Chapter 88: Unbelievable
Chapter 89: The Teacher's Assistant
Chapter 90: House Call
Chapter 91: The Elders' Decision
Chapter 92: Mated to the Alpha
Chapter 93: The Final Countdown
Chapter 94: Graduation
Chapter 95: Time for Change
Chapter 96: Hunt and Gather
Chapter 97: Succession
Chapter 98: To Challenge a Tyrant
Chapter 99: War It Is
Chapter 100: Epilogue
Bonus Chapter: Preview of Book Two

Chapter 85: Arguing For Our Lives (Part II)

6 0 0
By CeraRyland

*** Alyssa's POV ***

"Who are you?" I ask the strange man who has joined us in the elevator.

I didn't notice him before, but now that we've split into two small groups again, I can't help having my attention drawn to the extra addition. I vaguely remember seeing him in the conference room with us, so I know he's a friendly werewolf and am not particularly worried, but it does seem odd that he's here alone without any of his packmates.

"John Blaine, great-nephew and personal guard of Elder Benjamin," he introduces himself. "I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but I didn't feel like leaving the hotel with the rest of my group. I'd rather stay here with you guys, if that's alright."

The elevator dings as we reach the first floor, so I don't get a chance to respond to him until we've all exited the elevator and grouped up in the lobby.

"I'm fine with it, as long as Elder Benjamin and whoever is in charge of your group is okay with it too," I tell him finally, turning and waiting for the other elevator to bring Matt and the rest of our group down.

"Much appreciated, Miss Bentley. I must admit, it's quite an honor to finally have a chance to speak with you. I've heard a lot about you over the years," John tells me, side-glancing Tyler when he notices his glare.

"Are you one of the guys who's been breathing down her neck hoping to be her mate?" Tyler questions threateningly.

I notice John's eyes go wide and he takes a step back, bowing his head respectfully as he would if it were an Alpha challenging him. I have noticed that Tyler seems to have that sort of an effect on certain people, despite not being an Alpha. I think it's how his eyes turn black when he's agitated.

"No, sir. Even before she already had mates, the thought never would have crossed my mind. I'm just a warrior," John insists, not daring to raise his gaze as he addresses Tyler.

"Hey, back off," Marissa steps in, putting out a hand between Tyler and John and making it apparent that if Tyler crowds any further into his space, she intends to intervene.

"Believe it or not, there are some people who don't want Aly," she adds bitterly. Then she glances worriedly at John, a blush rising to her cheeks as she realizes how forward she's being.

He seems to appreciate her boldness, though, meeting her worried look with an amused yet approving smile. Though Tyler's outburst doesn't seem to bother her, John's friendliness does. She steps back and ducks behind where Caleb is standing with Devon, whose group has just joined us.

"Sorry," Tyler surprises John with an apology. "My wolf can randomly be a dick, and I'm not all that experienced at fighting him back yet."

"Understandable," John chuckles nervously, deciding to be brave and step toward Tyler to pat him on the side of his arm. "I heard the discussion about you being new to having a wolf, so I get it. You're doing great, considering. And if it's any consolation for your wolf, I've just found my own mate."

"Hey, congratulations," Tyler tells him as he reaches out to shake his hand. "I know that's a momentous occasion, and I'm genuinely happy for you."

"Yeah, thanks. Now I just need to convince her to accept me. She seems a bit distant and evasive, and I'm not really sure how she feels about it," John admits, trying to maintain his smile though his nerves are shining through.

I get it, though. I remember my fear and anxiety about getting Matt to accept me, so I know what he's going through.

With that in mind, I tell him, "If there's anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to ask."

"Thanks. I appreciate that, and just know I'm going to hold you to it," he promises with a glint of mischief in his eye.

He doesn't say anything more about it, though, or give me any hint of what he means by that, so we all make our way across the lobby and head to the restaurant on the far side.

As a group of twelve, the hostess seems a bit perturbed about having to find a space to accommodate us since we didn't bother with a reservation, but eventually we get seated and enjoy a nice lunch together. With so many of my companions being from my pack, it feels a little bit like sitting down to dinner at the packhouse back home and makes me feel a little nostalgic. No better way of reminding me what is at stake and getting me geared up to go back into the conference room and finish my presentation with determination.

Our group makes it back up to the fourth floor with plenty of time to spare, but not knowing whether the Elders are having some private meeting, we decide to hang out in the hallway for a bit. That is until John offers to send a mind-link to his great-uncle and simply ask whether we can return a bit early.

"Oh sure, rub it in that you have a direct-link to an Elder," Tyler teases him.

John grins in response, bumping Tyler's shoulder good-naturedly as he carries on his conversation with Elder Benjamin.

"He says they're not doing anything important. Just finishing up their lunches and waiting for everyone to return, so we can go in if you'd like," John informs us.

"Might as well," I shrug. "It will give me a chance to get everything all set up again anyway."

Some of the others begin to make their way into the meeting room, though I linger for a moment in the hallway taking a breath and steeling my resolve. I feel hands creep around my waist from behind before Matt drops his head on my shoulder, his long dark tresses spilling over me and tickling the side of my face. He's been doing an impressive job of keeping his anxiety in check, but I know this day is taking a toll on him. It's the not knowing how it's going that seems to be killing him.

"We're almost done, babe," I reassure him, reaching up to wind my fingers in his hair and hold his head more firmly against my shoulder.

"I know," he sighs. "And then who knows how long they'll make us wait after that."

"You're still mine no matter what they end up deciding," I remind him.

"I know," he says again, though this time I can feel the smile as he nuzzles his face against my neck.

After placing a few warm, tingly kisses along my neck and jaw, he sighs again before standing back up and reaching for my hand.

"Let's do this, then," he says, leading us back inside.

Tyler is already in his seat and seems to be talking to Elder Stirling as he doodles on the inside cover of my notebook. He's using a bold, black pen, which makes me admire his confidence. He turns and grins at us as we make our way back to our own seats, and I'm struck by how at ease he seems even in this high-stress situation. I know him well enough to recognize that it's a front for his nerves, but I'm still impressed by how he always seems to pull off the illusion of composure.

"Welcome back, and I hope you enjoyed your lunch, Miss Bentley," Elder Stirling greets me with a genuine smile.

"I did, thanks," I answer him with a smile of my own. "I'm going to just take a moment and get my presentation ready to go again, if that's alright?"

"Of course," he agrees, gesturing to the monitor as a sort of permissive invitation.

Then he turns and engages in a conversation with Elder Vivian, allowing me a moment to discreetly look around as I get everything set up. With everyone behaving more casually now, it might be a good opportunity to get a sense of who the Elders are and how they act outside a formal setting.

I notice that Elder Norissa seems rather cozy with Elder Gerard, laughing and leaning into him, though I'm not certain that it goes both ways. He seems as stoic and uninterested as usual. Elders Benjamin and Antonio are standing together near the back of the room speaking with a couple of the warriors, and Elder Vivian seems to be on rather friendly terms with Elder Stirling. Only Elder Millicent sits off on her own, quietly reading as she slowly savors a sandwich.

I'm not sure how helpful my observations will turn out to be in the long run. Elder Millicent seems to be a bit of a loner, but what I might do with that insight is unclear. Probably nothing, though the discovery of Elder Vivian being so chummy with Elder Stirling seems encouraging. I know he's on our side, and maybe he will be able to sway her opinion in the end.

It seems like only a handful of minutes later when Elder Stirling clears his throat and announces that everyone has returned. It's not yet two o'clock, but it doesn't seem like there's any reason to delay until then. The sooner we finish, the sooner all these people can go home.

"Miss Bentley, are you ready to proceed?" he asks, and I nod.

"Yes, I'm all set and ready to delve into the psychosocial effects of twin pairings if you are," I confirm cheerfully.

He glances around the table to be sure, and receiving no complaint, urges me to proceed.

I direct everyone to the correct page in their packets and give a brief summary of what I had been talking about prior to the break before continuing on with the next slide.

"One element that is of particular concern when an Alpha selects two mates is how the mate-bond will function in the relationship, and whether the trio will become unbalanced because of a werewolf's inability to mark more than one mate," I begin explaining. "But this concern is misplaced with a twin pairing. As long as the twins place their marks simultaneously, both will be able to imprint on their mate, and in turn, their mate will be able to mark each twin individually. In effect, there is no imbalance in the relationship. The bond connects them all to one another and extends the effects and benefits of the mate-bond in three directions rather than two."

"What happens if the twins fail to mark their mate at the same time?" Elder Norissa wonders as I pause for a sip of water.

"A three-way mate-bond can still be established, but the transition is not as smooth," I explain to her. "The bond between the first twin and their mate will be a little stronger until their connection adjusts in time. But thankfully, I did all this research before my mates marked me, so we knew the trick to it ahead of time."

I hear a couple chuckles in response to my personal comment and smile. It's good that Elder Norissa asked that question, which gave me a chance to point that out without having to force it into my official argument. I feel it's important that they know our mate-bond is already well-balanced, though I won't bother to mention the part where Mari had to wait a week to seal it with her own marks because of that stupid poison.

I go on to describe the sorts of strong, dynamic personalities that are common among the mates of twins, being careful not to make it sound like I'm just using it as an opportunity to talk about how great I think I am. Quite honestly, this is my least favorite part of the research because I feel personally attacked by a lot of the traits that I can't deny being true about myself as well. Twins' mates tend to be fiercely independent, highly opinionated, gravitate toward situations that allow them to be in control, and a variety of other traits that to me make it seem like it's saying I'm some spoiled princess who needs two whole people to keep me in check. But the important part is the tidbit about how the same traits that benefit from a union which involves a twin bond also tend to make someone a great candidate for Alpha.

Then I go into detail about many of the common characteristics of the packs or clans throughout history where an Alpha with twin fated mates has emerged. Historically, this tends to happen when a pack is undergoing some transitional phase, rapidly expanding in size and influence, or faced with divisive conflicts – any situation when having an extra person in leadership, an extra perspective in governing, or even an extra set of skills and talents might be especially helpful. I mention in passing the way that New Horizon might be considered a pack that fits the bill, especially with how rapidly we've been growing in recent decades, and then emphasize how influential historians have even gone so far as to characterize an Alpha being paired with twin fated mates as a sign or omen of big or important changes to come.

Again, I find myself becoming immersed in my discussion and losing all sense of time as I talk and flip through the slides. It seems like a good thing that this seems to come so naturally, though part of me does worry that it could also mean I'm going too fast or getting sloppy as I slip into auto-pilot mode. The feedback from the Elders as I go seems to be saying the opposite, however. They seem engaged and interested in my presentation, and during this second part, more of them than just Elder Vivian stop me to ask questions occasionally. The answers come easily to me, which I take as more evidence that I'm doing well.

The final slide contains another gorgeous piece of artwork, this one a visual depiction of the concept I started with, twins as one heart with two souls. It sucked me in when I first saw it, and I hope the Elders will appreciate it enough to keep its beauty in mind as they consider how my twin mates and I might fit into the future of our pack. I conclude my presentation by pointing out that the rarity of twins and their twin bonds makes them rather special and treasured, and that remarkable bond becomes a blessing for their mate and pack. The recurrence of twins in the artwork, literature, and history of werewolves serves as a reminder and testament to that.

It startles me a little when the Elders applaud after I've finished, and I don't know how to take it. I don't want them to think I've been putting on some show for them, although it does occur to me that perhaps they're applauding the effort I put into it. It was a pretty thorough argument complete with visual aids and references, after all.

I guess because they weren't shy about asking questions as I went, there doesn't seem to be much to the discussion Elder Stirling promised would follow my presentation. Elder Norissa makes a comment about how little she knew about twins and twin bonds beforehand and how much more she feels like she understands them now, and there seems to be a fair amount of agreement from around the table. Beyond that, the Elders are surprisingly quiet.

"Alright, then I suppose we can move into the last part of this meeting, unless there is anything else you would like to add, Miss Bentley," Elder Stirling offers.

Sensing that it is my last chance to speak, I do take a moment to consider what idea to leave them to ponder. I decide to remind them of what Elder Norissa called the "good news" that came out of their first deliberation of my mate situation.

"Well, there is one last thing I feel like I should reiterate," I tell them. "Tyler did attempt and pass the mate trials when he was first interested in being considered as my potential mate. Even as a human, and even before we realized the extent of our situation, you determined him to be a suitable choice for an Alpha's mate. What I'd like you to keep in mind is how impressed you all seemed before you recognized the complexity of the situation. Granted, Matt never underwent the trials, but I'm confident he would ace them equally well. These are exceptional men, Elders. I just need you all to be aware of that."

"And that's all fine and well, but one of your mates seeming suitable isn't the be-all-end-all argument you think it is, Miss Bentley," Elder Antonio responds. "We know very little about your other mate, and what we really don't know much about are the dynamics of your actual relationship overall. Perhaps you and Mr. Jenkins would make an acceptable Alpha pairing, but how do we know that adding a third wouldn't upset the balance of that bond? He and his brother do seem to be very different from each other. The nature of twin bonds in general is one thing, but how do we know that your relationship exemplifies that?"

"Balance is the key word in what you just said," I argue back. "In many ways, these two are direct opposites, but not in an adversarial way. They balance each other out, and they each have something unique to add to our relationship. Their different personalities and perspectives complement each other and complement my own. Our relationship is solid, Elder Antonio, and the disruptiveness you fear just isn't there. That's partly because our bond is a twin bond and as I said, such a bond seems specifically designed to prevent the sort of in-fighting you allude to, but I genuinely believe that it's also because these two are who they are. We don't fight with each other. There's too much love, patience, and understanding between us. We're too connected and invested in each other."

He seems satisfied by my response, fighting to suppress a smile and maintain his neutral composure. I get the sense that he didn't challenge me because he opposes our relationship. On the contrary, it seems more like he challenged me because he knew I would have a response to lay to rest whatever concerns may be circulating unspoken in anyone else's mind.

"I have an idea," Elder Vivian speaks up. "Since we have the rare opportunity to be face-to-face with some of your packmates, let's ask them their thoughts. I'm sure they have observed your interactions over the past weeks they've been assigned to guard the three of you and might have their own opinions of how 'solid' your relationship is or isn't."

And I get the idea that she's the one Elder Antonio had in mind when he brought it up. I don't think he expected her to take it this far, though, judging by the surprised look he gives her.

"That's quite unconventional," Elder Gerard comments in response. It's unclear whether he believes unconventional to be a good or a bad thing.

"As is their relationship," Elder Vivian retorts.

"May I?" she turns to Elder Stirling, seeming to ask his permission to proceed.

He considers it for a moment, uncertain whether he should allow it, before he finally nods and waves his authorization for her to continue.

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that the person she singles out from those silently gathered around the perimeter of the room is Marissa.

"You there," Elder Vivian calls out to her, fixing her with her gaze and gesturing for Marissa to step forward.

"You may be wondering why I have selected you, and the answer is that I'm rather observant," Elder Vivian begins to explain to Marissa, her tone deceptively gentle and compassionate.

I've determined Elder Vivian to be one of those snakes lying in wait who seems harmless enough and plays the part of a concerned, empathetic individual, but who never fails to seize an opportunity to lash out and bite you when you're not looking. Maybe that's a bit dramatic and heavily biased by my suspicion that she may be a big part of the reason why the Elders decided against us in the first place, but in this moment, it seems accurate.

"I've noticed that most of these guards seem at least passively reverent toward Miss Bentley, and I would go so far as to describe a couple of them as outright fans of her, but you don't seem to be particularly fond of her," Elder Vivian points out.

I do wonder what Marissa has been doing that would bring Elder Vivian to that conclusion so soon, accurate as it may be, but then I remember that some of the Elders have acquired the role because of their exceptional talents and abilities. Maybe she's an empath, or perhaps she is another silver wolf with a special mental ability. Either is preferable to the idea that Marissa has just been standing over there scowling this whole time.

"Because of this, I feel like you're the one we should ask. I'm not suggesting that you allow your personal feelings toward Miss Bentley to influence your answer, however. It's the truth I seek," Elder Vivian goes on as I fight the urge to mentally call bullshit on her act.

I don't know whether she can read my mind at this point so I know I should be careful, but I'm not buying it. She as much as admitted that she chose Marissa because she has personal feelings about me. How could she not be wanting a response biased by those same feelings? But I've also recently learned that Marissa has been nothing but honest this whole time, so I'm not worried. Unless she outright lies, there's nothing she could say that would damage my argument. I speak the truth, and I fully expect her to confirm that.

"Um, so, I'm actually a little lost as to what exactly the question is," Marissa admits nervously, struggling to make eye contact with Elder Vivian.

"What is the nature of Miss Bentley's relationship with her mates?" Elder Vivian clarifies. "Is it peaceful as she says, or have you observed discord between the mates that we should be made aware of? Keep in mind that we ask only because of our concern about the suitability of such a relationship for leadership positions within your pack. Discord and strife between mates tend to detract from an Alpha's ability to remain effective and in control."

Marissa exhales as she considers how to respond, seeming uncomfortable about the situation as she shifts her weight around. And then finally, she speaks.

"You're right that I'm not a huge fan, and I don't really know how to say this the right way. I'm not well-spoken like Aly is, and I tend to offend people," Marissa begins. "But the truth of it is their relationship is so peaceful and perfect that it's disgusting. I haven't seen a single piece of evidence to indicate even a hint of 'discord' as you say, and I've been looking."

Strangely, I find myself fighting back the urge to laugh at how perfectly Marissa that response is – blunt, honest, and bordering on offensive, as promised. But what's most important is the honest part. Unless Elder Vivian thinks I somehow put Marissa up to that, there's no way she could fail to see the truth in her words.

The other thing I can't help noticing is the way John seems to be watching her and the expression on his face as she speaks. I know that look. It's the same sappy, lovesick look my dad gives my mom and that Tyler and Matt get when they're looking at me. Suddenly, I realize that John didn't mean he just found his mate as in shortly before he came here. He meant he found her here, today, and it's no wonder he doesn't know what to think of her. I never know what to think of Marissa, either.

"Well, I suppose that answers your question," Elder Benjamin comments, fighting back a smirk.

"And I suppose that concludes our discussion," Elder Millicent adds.

I get the sense that she's eager to be done with having all of us in here talking their ears off and wants to get on to the part where the Elders deliberate amongst themselves.

"Almost. There's one additional matter I wish to discuss, though I would like to do so somewhat privately," Elder Stirling reveals.

"Oh, I see. What did you have in mind to achieve that?" Elder Vivian wonders.

"I was thinking we could each choose our most trusted guard to keep in the room with us and dismiss the others into the hall for a little while. Those who remain will do so with the understanding that what we discuss is meant to be kept confidential, and there will be no talk of it after we leave here," Elder Stirling explains.

"And will this discussion include Miss Bentley and her mates?" Elder Gerard questions.

"Yes, and a New Horizon guard for each of them can remain in the room as well."

"I see. Well, let's get to it then," Elder Benjamin agrees, and then glances over to where his guards stand together. "John, you'll remain with me."

The other Elders make their selections in turn, dismissing the rest of their protective details, until it's just Tyler, Matt, and me who still need to select our personal guards.

Tyler chooses Devon, which is no surprise. Caleb also seems like a no-brainer for Matt's selection. But I think almost everyone is shocked when I call out Marissa's name, Marissa most of all.

I don't know what our private discussion will be about, but I do know that I've spent long enough not giving the girl the chances she deserved.

"Are you sure?" Elder Stirling seems to feel a need to question my choice. "I'm wanting to address what I feel is the most, ah, sensitive development for your mates."

Oh, I think I get it. He wants to discuss how Matt and Tyler are not just any werewolves, but rare ones with special traits that are well-suited for Alpha's mates. It's a good idea, actually, and one I had considered, though the secrecy about it was my reason for choosing not to. But even so, Marissa already knows. My dad told her and our other warriors himself. Even if he hadn't, everything I've learned about Marissa recently points to her being dependable, all her faults aside.

"Yes, I'm sure," I assure him. "She doesn't have to like me to be a good warrior and a trustworthy packmate, and though it may strike you as odd, I actually appreciate her blunt honesty. It's how I know I can trust her."

The part I leave unspoken is that there's also a part of me hoping that extending her a little trust when it counts might motivate her to start seeing me a bit differently, too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.3K 1.3K 35
Running from his dark legacy, River finds himself caught in the midst of a werewolf rivalry bleeding into the human world; a low fantasy enemies to l...
37.3M 1.4M 144
"My dad sold me to a pack of werewolves to settle his gambling debt." ❀ "I'm going to count to three," Logan growls. He doesn't have to say the rest...
7.5M 230K 32
Lily Crawford was once loved and treasured by her whole pack but that stopped on her 14th birthday when she didn't shift like she was supposed to. In...
577K 16.9K 56
*Warning - Contains 18+ Content* He holds my face firmly between two hands. "Sienna, I'm not going to have you for the first time one of Maren's gues...