The Rogue King {18+} (Book 2)

נכתב על ידי chelseaxxm123

I was cursed at such a young age, abandoned by my own wolf and the Moon Goddess for something that wasn't in... עוד

Copyright and Warning!!
Do Not Skip!!!
1. My First Injury
2. Escaped Prisoner
3. Predator and Prey
4. A Blue Moon
5. You're Mine To Play With
6. You're Only as Strong as Your Greatest Weakness
7. There's No Reasoning with a Monster
8. Like Old Times
9. The Training Tournament
Character Pictures: Part 1
10. Victory Afterparty
11. Ambush
12. A Human Trophy
13. The Cells It Is Then
14. Dangerous Threats
15. I Wasn't Prepared To Care
Character pictures: part 2
16. Prove It
17. Don't Ask Questions You Don't Want To Hear The Answers To
18. Hostile Territory
19. A Little Too Much Wine
20. Struggling With The Decisions I'm Making
21. I Won't Stop Until We're Miles Apart
22. Drain Her Dry
23. I Am Now One
24. Extended Prison Sentence
25. A Rock and a Hard Place
26. Shock, Acceptance and A Heartbroken She-Wolf
27. A Gift Worthy Of A Luna
28. This Won't Work Without Trust
29. I Want To See Your Wolf
30. Too Much Wine... Again
31. Is This The Bond or Something Else?
32. A War Is Brewing
33. The Dreams
34. I Won't Let You Leave My Side
35. A Bond To Remember
36. We'll Take This Slow
37. Search Party
38. Reunited
39. My First Love
40. I'm All Yours
41. Send The King A Message For Me
42. The King's Fury
43. A Loss Of Control
44. Lesson One: Do What Feels Natural
45. I'll See You In The Morning
46. Explain Your Actions
47. We're Practically Family
48. Your Mate Will Be Everything
49. Not Until I've Spoken to Her
51. Let Me Tell You My Truth, Torben
52. Heartbreak and Acceptance
53. Preparing For Peace
54. Let's Get To Work
55. A Moment to Grieve
56. An Attack In The Night.
57. Weeping On A Battlefield
58. We Were Living with An Enemy
59. You Were Always The Prey
60. We Follow the original Plan
61. I'm Going To Make You My Weapon
62. It Begins
63. Forced Against Eachother
64. Taking Back What Was Stolen
65. A Traitor for Love
66. I Need to Feel Whole

50. A Meeting With The In-laws

1.1K 83 22
נכתב על ידי chelseaxxm123

Happy Father's Day to the men who would do anything for their child. The step dads who stepped up and loved someone's child like their own. To the father's who have passed but are still loved. And to the single mother's who have played both roles beautifully. You're all doing a great job!! 💙

-&-

Enjoy!

✨🌘✨

- Asmara

I was not frightened.

Not anymore. Not of Torben meeting my parents because I knew my mate could handle himself. Not of my parents refusing this alliance because I knew them and though it didn't seem like it now, a part of me knew they'd accept because they loved me. And they knew the stakes just as much as I did.

So, I wasn't afraid while I waited here with Felice and Aicha on the outskirts of our territory. I wore a formal, crimson gown, elegant but simple, the colour chosen by Torben to bring out my eyes. Not that it was entirely necessary, he had told me.

Strangely, we waited on the opposite side of that cave that, as far as I had known, was the only way to my parent's camp site.

Now I knew that wasn't true.

The cave was a way to cover their scents in and out of my parent's home but there was in fact another a route. A much more complicated and longer route but another way to get to my parents that didn't involve me getting soaking wet. I was angry Torben hadn't told me this sooner. I could have done without having to go in that river when I went to meet my parents, though logic suggests he done it because they wanted to see me with very short notice and this route was easily a few hours trek from here. I still felt bitter thinking about it though.

Torben had opted for this route because hundreds of warriors were to accompany us and you couldn't exactly squeeze them all through that cave effectively, could you? The other reasons behind his decision were because he didn't want us to be vulnerable and surrounded the minute, we exited that cave, and the other was because surprising my parents by showing up somewhere else least expected brought a smile to his face and he wanted to shove my father's nose in it. I think the last reason was the main one.

Aicha's face was the embodiment of excitement. She couldn't wait to meet the famous wolven king she had heard so much about and it had only made me roll my eyes.

"He's nothing special." Felice had said to her when she kept asking what he thought when he met him.

"Your just difficult to impress." She said back to him, which I had to agree with.

He allowed a small smile to blossom at that. "I'll be impressed if he agrees to fight this war with us."

"He will." I allowed myself to say.

They both looked at me. Felice's smile disappeared as he arched his brow and Aicha asked, "I'm not saying he won't but how can you be so sure when he hates us?"

"Hate can be unlearned, and it will be his love for me that will trump his hate in the end. I'm sure of it."

I looked out at the sky and breathed in.

I'm not frightened.

"There he is." Aicha pointed at a carriage making its way to us.

Our transport to my parents' camp. It was luxury on wheels and two horses were pulling it along to us. Wolves surrounded it of various shades of colours and sizes some female and some male. Ezlyn was amongst them. A brown female leading the other females to the right. She nodded her head at me from the distance and I nodded back, grateful for her assistance. Unshifted warriors wore battle armour and had weapons made of silver, walking behind the wolves with fierce expressions, that even I was intimidated by them.

With Torben and his two generals leaving for the day, Desmond remained to take a hold of the pack and maintain important protocols while we were gone.

Reagan's plan to attend went out the window, too. He was to stay and speak to his mate. To see what was to become of them.

I looked to the sky again, knowing the moon was still up there, though invisible. She would still be listening, and I prayed to her that Reagan and Josephine would find happiness and comfort with one another. They deserved it.

When my gaze landed back on the carriage it was a lot closer, many of the wolves were around us and I smiled down at Ezlyn when she took a seat beside me. Up close the carriage was extraordinary with beautiful carvings. The carriage stopped just in front of me and when the door opened, Torben was there, holding out his hand to me with a comforting smile that told me he definitely wasn't frightened.

Stray strands of Torben's short, dark hair fell over his forehead, slightly moving with the wind whilst the rest was styled back with perfection. His black leather tunic was tight fitting and finely made, cut close enough to his body that you could see the strong muscle and pure alpha strength beneath.

I looked at his hand and then met his gaze. The interior of the carriage looked even more expensive than the outside with leather coated cushions and red embroidered pillows.

"You really want to make a scene, don't you?"

Mischief danced in those dark eyes. "Is that so wrong?"

"No, but it's certainly going to piss off my parents." Not that I cared too much what they'd think of us turning up like this.

"Will you stop talking and get in here." He chuckled.

Ezlyn shoved me with her head as if to say the same thing.

I shot her a playful glare, to which she nudged me again. I finally took his hand and stepped inside the carriage and then I was pulled into his lap. "This carriage may piss off your parents and I won't lie and say I won't enjoy it." I turned and gave him a scolding look. "But" He laughed, "I also want you to travel in luxury fitting of a queen."

My eyes brightened at that. "Well, I suppose I can't fault you for the carriage then and I suppose my parents will just have to deal with it."

"I'm pleased we're on the same page."

I was smiling and laughing when Aicha and Felice climbed in to take their seats opposite us. Felice took one look at me on Torben's lap and grimaced. "Don't tell me you two are going to be snuggled up the entire trip?"

Aicha laughed. "Aw, I think it's cute."

Felice gave her a look that said are you crazy?

I slid of Torben's lap and stuck my tongue out at him.

Torben leaned back, laughing. "I suggest you relax, Felice because it's going to be a long journey."

Indeed, it was a long journey.

The roads were rocky, and my body kept jerking every time the carriage dipped. The cushions helped but it was still an uncomfortable journey. Along the way, I mind-linked Torben to ask if him what other surprises he had planned for tonight. He had only placed a finger on his lips and caressed my mind with his.

That's for your father to find out first.

I wasn't a fan of the suspense, but it definitely intrigued me, and I couldn't wait for the reveal.

The trees began to spread out further on the side of the road and as we turned, I spotted smoke disappearing into the sky and heard males yelling. It sounded like they were preparing for our arrival. In the distance their camp became visible and that's when I noticed a new tent that wasn't there before.

It was massive and made of red fabric with my father's symbol seamed into it from black material. The thing with tents was the inside always seemed bigger than the outside so if the outside looked like this, how many people would be able to fit inside? This tent was solely for the purpose of the meeting and Torben grinned at it.

"They think we're worth this much trouble? How adorable." Torben whispered into my ear that made me shiver.

"It is an important meeting taking place today. At least their efforts mean they understand that importance." I said back to him, taking the tent as a good sign.

"I agree," Torben whispered back to me. "

I looked back out the window. There were fires everywhere to chase away the cold weather and everyone was dressed in fur and insulated boots. Some sat around the fires roasting meet and handing plates and cutlery around. Others trained, roaring and yelling at each other to hype up the gathering crowds. Many were on watch and when they spotted our approach and saw the hundreds of wolves coming their way, they formed a line between the camp and us.

Everyone stopped what they were doing to witness our arrival. The unexpected arrival from this part of the camp startled and frightened them all. They weren't prepared us to bring so many with us and they assumed they'd have the upper hand in surrounding us.

Torben had played this move well.

Rylan stepped out from between them, his green eyes scanning the wolves and then coach as it came to a rocky stop.

Someone came around and opened our doors and Felice and Aicha stepped out first. Aicha watched Rylan carefully, but she still had that excited spark in her eyes, and I think Rylan noticed because he gave her an easy smile. Felice came to Aicha's side, and he nodded at Rylan. "Good to see you again, general." Felice's face said otherwise but it was good he was being polite

Rylan studied him. He knew Felice was just being polite, but he smiled at him anyway. "Likewise, general. And who is this lovely lady at your side?"

Aicha's eyes brightened and she allowed Felice to speak for her. "This is my mate, Aicha." Torben was helping me out of the coach and from behind Felice added, "Aicha, this is Rylan. One of king Adrenous' generals."

Aicha's eyes widened like a child.

Rylan indulged Aicha with another smile and then said, "I hadn't expected your arrival to be from this corner of the camp?" His eyes then scanned the distance from which we had come, wanting an explanation.

"We're full of surprised," Was all Felice allowed himself to say.

Rylan's frowned and then his eyes fell on me. He walked closer and bowed his head. "Asmara."

I noticed Rylan was dressed in his most formal clothes. A white, tight fitted shirt and a navy suite jacket with my father's symbol on his left breast pocket. His trousers were well fitted too and the boots on his feet were the finest I'd ever seen him wear.

"I've never seen you dressed so formal. Is this laurey's doing?" I teased.

He brushed his jacket down as if realising how differently he was dressed today. He laughed softly, "Yes. She insisted she help me prepare."

"I like it." I complimented and watched him stand a little straighter with pride.

I felt someone approach my back, looking over my shoulder. Rylan looked up and this was the first time he noticed Torben. The air became thick and before my very eyes, Rylan's features shifted completely. He knew he'd have to meet Torben today, but it brought up feelings that couldn't be hidden behind a façade.

Torben was the first to speak because Rylan seemed to be at a loss for words or maybe he didn't want to speak to Torben at all. "General Rylan, is it? I've heard so much about you."

"Torben Marx, alpha of the rogues, also known as the new rogue king. Your notoriously famous around here."

Torben grinned darkly and though Rylan would never admit it, I think he felt a little intimidated. "I can imagine but I could say the same for your king. Hopefully, we can finally put any qualms to rest tonight."

"That would certainly be something." Rylan smiled and it didn't reach his eyes this time. He looked away and focused on the rest of us. On the brown female wolf that came and sat at my side. Ezlyn bared her teeth and Rylan clenched his teeth.

I patted Ezlyn's head and she nipped at me, nothing that would break through skin as I teased, "Don't mind, Ezlyn. She's a real softy really."

An unpleasant growl left her.

"I'm sure she is," Rylan said, studying her warily. "Anyway," His gaze met mine after searching the rest of our party. "Where's Reagan?"

I bit my lip and smiled, knowing Rylan would love to hear this. "He stayed back because he's just discovered his mate." He wouldn't be pleased with finding out who Josephine's mother is but I'd leave that for Reagan to explain.

"His mate?"

"Her names Josephine," I answered, seeing the disbelief, yet hope that it was true burning In Rylan's green eyes.

"I'd explain more, Rylan, but don't we have to be somewhere?" I smiled, amused when he shook his head and realised, we'd be late if we didn't get going.

"Er-yes. We can't be late."

"Of course, we wouldn't want to give a bad first impression." Torben gave Rylan a smile that made the general uneasy.

Without another word, Rylan turned, yelling orders for the guards to make way for us.

With his back turned, I smacked Torben's arm, and he looked down at me with a look that said what the hell did I do?

You know exactly what you're doing so stop it.

Relax, it's just a bit of fun. It's the least they deserve.

Because of what happened to his father, I realised.

I know. I'm just worried it will make things spin out of control if they take offence.

Don't worry yourself too much. He stroked my cheek and I leant into the warmth of his palm. Everything will be fine.

I took comfort in his touch and his words, and I drew on his confidence.

I'm not frightened.

We followed Reagan through the gap the wall of guards made for us. The wolves and soldiers that we brought, eyed my father's guards, keeping eye contact that would make anyone else who wasn't born into a life of fighting, tremble and run away. Ezlyn snapped at the guards she passed, making them stumble back a step. Just like her to amuse herself by scaring males who thought they were big. I refrained from face palming myself and kept a face of neutrality, copying Torben's from beside me.

He was so good at this. It was so easy for him to hide what he was thinking. My father wasn't going to have an idea what was happening inside his mind.

"Everyone else is already in attendance, including the elders." Rylan informed as the giant tent loomed high, guarded at its entrance by at least six guards to each side.

"Good, then the meeting can start as soon as we're inside." Torben said matter-of-factly.

I had never met the Elder's before. They never visited and whenever my father had to discuss anything with them, he visited them. But I suppose, they had to make an exception and felt their voices needed to be heard on this matter.

My mother didn't like them, I don't think my father did either, so it gave me little hope that I would.

Torben's arm wrapped around my waist, sending a steady warmth through me that allowed my steps to feel easier as we walked to the entrance and then stopped.

Rylan turned to us and studied us long enough to make Torben raise a brow.

Felice stepped to Torben's other side. "Is there a problem?"

"The wolves have to stay outside."

Ezlyn growled to state her disagreement.

"Surely we can compromise," I said whilst sending Ezlyn a look to stand down. She stopped baring her teeth, but her hackles were still raised. "Ezlyn is our female general so let her be an exception and we'll make sure the other wolves wait out here patiently."

Rylan sighed. "Very well." He looked at Ezlyn but said to me, "As long as she's behaved."

Ezlyn growled as if to say fuck you.

"Of course, she will be," I said on her behalf, knowing she'd hate that too.

Rylan wasn't convinced but we continued without further delay. As soon as the curtains of the entrance were pulled back by the guards, I swallowed and took in the interior. It was like we walked into the spotlight with all eyes on us. I looked up at all the benches that ascended around the outskirts of the tent. Stairs leading up to the benches were to my left and every single seat was full.

Amongst those seated were five humans, dressed in dark robes with stoic expressions. Two woman and three men watching me with a look that made me uneasy. The Elders. With them were their own human guards and a few human villagers who looked angry.

Shit.

On the other right-hand side sat my father's generals, Titan and Hunter. Two seats were empty next to them, one for Rylan and then another for my uncle. My heart ached at the thought of Arif still missing after all these years.

I hadn't even seen my cousin, Cammie in so long and they were both sorely missed.

I pushed back that ache in my chest as my gaze drifted downwards to the circle of space surrounded by all the benches. My parents were sat at the far front on a small platform, in their thrones. Identical chairs carved beautifully from wood with soft, velvet cushioning in the seats and arm rests. They were temporary thrones, made for the occasion but they still looked beautiful and expensive.

My mother looked beautiful in her blue gown that flowed around her. The neckline was high, decorated with pearls that matched her earrings. Her brown hair was braided over her right shoulder with not one piece of hair out of place. Her eyes found mine and they softened, the smallest hint of a smile, gracing her lips.

My father was stark straight in his chair, an intimidating air around him that twinned Torben's. His attire was dark, formal fabric. His booted feet kept tapping the grown, signalling his impatience. And unlike my mother, his face twisted cruelly at the sight of Torben as their eyes locked and the room became suffocating.

I had nowhere else to look but the giant table and chairs before them. Our seats with a glass of wine in front of each chair. I was grateful for the wine because I was going to need a drink after this.

Rylan finally announced our arrival, starting with Felice and Aicha. "General Felice Dalton and his mate, Aicha Dalton."

Felice wore a cold mask but his stance beside Aicha showed his protectiveness of her when they were surrounded by so many possible enemies. Aicha allowed him to guide her to a seat at the table. Neither of them sat. They waited behind their seats, patiently out of respect for their alpha.

"General Ezlyn Maser."

Ezlyn couldn't resist snapping her jaw at Rylan as she passed. He glared down at her, unamused. She sat at the table, her eyes wondering the room with amusement at all the faces who looked wary of her.

"Princess As—"

I narrowed my eyes at Rylan, and he choked on his words, realising his mistake. Torben laughed silently beside me. Rylan cleared his throat, starting over. "Princess and Luna of the rogues, Asmara Marx."

Everyone in the room looked at me. A few soft gasps and then complete silence. I was surrounded by judging eyes and I lifted my head higher in defiance. My decisions and my mate...

... I am ashamed of none of it.

Let them think whatever they want.

"Her mate, Alpha Torben Marx and king of the rogues."

Torben's name sent a wave of unease through the room and eyes weren't on me anymore. There was a mix of emotions. Scared. Nervousness. And anger. But there was also lust. Females looked at him and couldn't believe how a male could be so beautiful. Because he was. The dark eyes that could pierce you so deeply with one look. The dark hair, muscular and tall build, and the sharp jaw. He was beautiful and he was mine.

I refrained from rolling my eyes when his lips curved to the side

The bastard was absolutely loving this.

Torben's arm curved around my waist, walking us to the table.

I can tell your enjoying the attention. I mind-linked him and his eyes flashed down at me. His smile became more prominent.

I'm enjoying the look on your father's face. He looks like he wants to rip my head off.

A sideways glance at my father confirmed it. He hadn't taken his eyes of Torben since we arrived. His claws were visible and buried in the wood of his make-shift throne.

I looked away, hurt that my father still hadn't looked at me. At least try to pretend you're not having fun.

He kissed my forehead and then pulled out my chair for me. No promises, princess. The wink after he said that was what irritated me.

I held in my protest and made a show of taking a seat. Everyone watched the rogue king pull out the chair for me, allowing his Luna to take a seat before anyone else at the table, even himself. When I finally sat down, Torben took his seat and then took my hand in his, showing everyone the strong unit we were when we looked straight ahead at my parents.

My father scowled and my mother looked at Torben, a little fascinated. He wasn't what she expected

Felice and Aicha took their seats and Ezlyn moved to my other side. Ezlyn snarled at the humans to her left when she noticed them gawking at her. I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing at the looks on their faces.

When my eyes met my father's, all humour disappeared from my gaze. A wave of hurt struck my gut, seeing the disappointment, the clear hurt in his own gaze forced me to hold Torben's hand tighter for comfort. I only let out a breath when his eyes moved over to Torben. Torben's own gaze was dark, confident and piercing, anyone who wasn't my father would have already submitted to him by now.

"Torben." My father's voice was like steel, slicing in the air, filled with strength. "Son of Coen Marx, the new rogue king as some would call you." The slight tick of Torben's jaw was the only indication he was seething, especially at the mention of his father. "You're a very bold male, I'll give you that."

"How so?" Torben said through slightly clenched teeth.

"You attack my pack, my lands, kidnap my daughter—" His eyes shifted to me for emphasis and then back to Torben "—and yet you come to me, looking for peace, an alliance that will see both our packs living amongst one another and in the same breath, you wish for us to join you in a war you created. Either you're extremely bold or so scared and desperate, you're willing to put aside your pride for our aid."

Torben was definitely seething now and all I could do was hold his hand tighter, letting him know I was right here.

"So, which is it?" My father demanded.

Everyone around the room waited for Torben to answer.

"Neither." Torben's tone was calm, steady, the opposite of the fury in his gaze, Maybe that made him scarier.

"Please, elaborate." My father's politeness was mocking.

"I attacked your pack as an orphan hell bent on enacting vengeance on his father's killer, and in the midst, I found Asmara and I knew exactly who she was, and she was my mate. I didn't want it at first but as you well know, the bond is strong and so I'm doing what I can to make up for what I did to her." He paused and looked at me and I smiled back at him, knowing I had already forgiven him for everything.

He faced my father and continued. "Quite frankly, I could fight this war without your aid. I seek this alliance for my mate so that she doesn't have to choose me over her parents, so that she doesn't have to live in exile. I want her to have freedom even if it means putting my desire for revenge aside."

My father had gone silent, contemplating. I don't think he was fully prepared for how strongly Torben loved me and what he was willing to do for me.

I heard whispers from the crowds, speaking their judgments amongst one another. The elders were the most sceptical here because they knew they were the bottom of the food chain in this room and they were going to be against me and Torben, not wanting the war it would bring.

My mum leaned forward, her cobalt irises piercing and beautiful as she gently regarded my mate. Torben's gaze flickered to her when she asked, "You don't believe you need our aid and yet you still ask for it? For my daughter's sake?"

"Yes." The fury on his face had vanished at the gentleness he saw on my mother's. "I won't discuss war strategy out in the open like this," Many scowled at the implication one of them could leak the information, "I will say though, an alliance between us would be unbeatable. We're here asking for this alliance in this war because we both know Draven won't stop with me. I know your history with him, queen Alivia."

My mother's face sank at the memory.

"And I want to reduce as many casualties as possible. Draven would never see it coming. He doesn't even know Asmara's my mate so he'd never suspect I'd go looking for my father's killer for this exact purpose."

The room fell into a loud quiet. My mother looked at my father, coming to a private agreement. My father didn't look too pleased, but he heaved a sigh and stared directly at Torben. Torben's face remained neutral and yet, I saw the hope in his gaze. Perhaps he was even silently praying to the moon goddess.

When my father finally spoke, I realised how tense my body was with waiting. "Today's meeting was for us to suss out your intentions and whether it would be worth our time, hearing out your terms. I'm sure you have plenty, we certainly do."

Torben nodded, allowing humour to drop into his voice, "I'd expect nothing less."

"My queen and partner in this matter has come to a decision in your favour."

My chest ached with hope.

"I ask everyone to leave the room. Me and Torben have matters to discuss."

Oh my...

Was this really going to happen?

    My heart raced at the thought of Torben being alone with my father and I knew Torben still had a long way to go if he was going to form a solid alliance with my father. Torben and my father had a dark past and to get past that, my father wanted a private audience with Torben. I wouldn't protest even though I hated it.

An elder stood, the eldest of them all, Victor, judging from the fully grey hair that was once brown and aging brown eyes, exactly how my mother described him to me. "We have a right to this meeting. These matters effect all of us."

"Don't worry, Victor, you'll have your say when we draw up the documents. A copy will be given to you for your approval."

Victor scowled, no doubt feeling an entitlement to have a seat in this meeting. T protect his own interests.

"Does that seem fair to you?" My father teased.

Torben snickered as Victor stumbled for words. "I-I suppose we'll see."

"Then please leave. Asmara and her party are to be escorted to their own tent with the exception of guards for the rogue alpha." He wouldn't need them, but it gave me assurance he'd have backup just in case.

    For my own peace of mind more than Torben's.

Still, it didn't stop the horrible twist in my stomach at Torben and my father being left alone.

With everyone emptying out of the room, my father said at last said to Torben, "This meeting Is still very far from being over"

✨🌕✨

Torben and Adrenous have a past to dive into.

How do you think this private meeting will go between them?

Next update is Friday 24th, maybe earlier if I finish before then.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

179K 7.8K 55
WARNING: This novel contains depictions of Rape, Abuse and Violence. Read at your own risk. 18 year old Starr has never had it easy in life. Her moth...
262K 10.8K 49
[COMPLETED] ೋღ🌹ღೋ He stands roughly a few feet away from me, his body towering over my crouched one. I bring my legs up to my chest, pushing myself...
502K 22.3K 49
Book 1 He was cast to the edges of his clan. His father could not stand to even look at him. His baby sister probably didn't even know he was her b...
5.3M 201K 116
The edited version of this book is being updated under the name "That's Inappropriate, Mr. King." Twenty-two-year-old Anna wonders if she will ever f...