Sitting Ducks

By RachelJessie

Everyone has a different view on life. For example, when you see someone dead, you never say they deserved it... More

Prologue: 671
Chapter One: 214
Chapter Two: 153
Chapter Three: 749
Chapter Four: 84
Chapter Five: 403
Chapter Six: 544
Chapter Seven: 380
Chapter Eight: 959
Chapter Nine: 104
Chapter Ten: 11
Chapter Eleven: 21
Chapter Twelve: 63
Chapter Fourteen: 0
Chapter Fifteen: 368
Chapter Sixteen: 637
Chapter Seventeen: 8
Chapter Eighteen: 550
Chapter Nineteen: 442
Chapter Twenty: 389
Chapter Twenty-One: 207
Chapter Twenty-Two: 648
Chapter Twenty-Three: 152
Chapter Twenty-Four: 204
Chapter Twenty-Five: 352
Epilogue: 199
Alternate Epilogue: 768

Chapter Thirteen: 946

115 3 2
By RachelJessie

Three days. I had counted. Three god forsaken days, stuck inside this white padded cell. I had been put through torture before, and I was known to never crack. But this, this was slowly breaking me. The compartment slid out and I grabbed it before it could slide back in. 

"Please just let me out! Get L, please!" I screamed and let the metal go. It quickly retracted, and silence greeted me again. I put my hands in my lap and pulled on my hair. I hated to admit it, but Tyler was right.  I did snap. 

It was yesterday, and horrible. I had pulled out some hair, and screamed my lungs out. There were scratches on my arms, where I had clawed myself. Collin, Mike, and Emily. The three names repeated themselves over and over again. Dead. Dead. Alive. 

"I must say Elise, you really scared me yesterday." I hadn't heard the door open. Tyler stood there, and I ran over and hugged him tightly. I needed comfort, even if it was from him. He smoothed my hair down and hugged me back. 

"Mark and Maya were so angry and worried. I separated them for now, but it's time to get to work.  Miss Chadsey is down in the weapons department, and Mark is at the computers, both supervised of course. So that leaves you, and you get to train. Afterwards, I'm going to need your help with paperwork." Why was he trusting me with confidential documents?

"Nothing very important, if that's what you're thinking. Come on, let's get you settled." He grabbed my hand, and I complied. He stopped when he saw my arms. 

"Oh Silver, what did you do to yourself? I thought you would be safer there, just for now. I was wrong, you hurt yourself." He trailed kisses up my arm and I had to swallow bile. 

"I-It was for my own good Ty. Why don't you just take me down to training, I'll be fine." I waved him off. Pulling out a blindfold, he smiled apologetically. 

"Just for safety Elise, now hold still." He tied the blindfold, and instantly my other senses were heightened. He pushed me forward, but still being very gentle.  What were the odds of this happening to me. I had some sort of twisted luck on my side, because this could be worse. 

"Tyler?" I asked quietly. I had to know the answer to this question. 

"Yes Elise?" He responded sweetly. I felt us turn a corner, and could hear the cement echoing. 

"Why me? Why were Mark, Maya and I chosen, we're not that special?" I felt him stiffen and knew I had hit my mark. We stopped in the hallway abruptly. 

"Listen to me Elise. You're special, extraordinary. You can do things most assasins can't, even though you show emotion. Plus, I fell in love with you the second I saw you." A bit creepy.  I swallowed as we kept walking. 

"I need you. Coyle will protect my brother, and um-" He cut off. It wasn't news to me, but I acted surprised.  He swore quietly. 

"You didn't tell me you had a little brother. What's his name?" I asked. We stopped, and i heard some gunshots. 

"I never said he was little. Elise don't play dumb, you know him." That was confusing, no I didn't.

"I don't know him Tyler, tell me who he is. Please." I begged him. He shrugged me off, looking upset.

"This is the trianing area. James here will help you out at the beginning, but you know what you're doing. I'll come back down in a few hours, someone will bring you food if you want. If you need anything ask James." He seemed upset. As much as I loathed him, I needed him to start to trust me. He was about to leave, so I grabbed his arm. 

"Ty, if you need anyone to talk to, I'm here. I don't forgive you, but I don't like seeing you upset." I smiled. He turned around, and smiled at me. 

Just as his lips met mine.

"Hey I'm James- whoa. I'll just leave you two alone." I heard a male voice. Thankful for the distraction, I pushed Tyler away. He had this creepy smile on, I had never seen him so happy.  There was nothing between us though, no sparks. I was disgusted in all fairness.

"I'll see you later Lise."  He whispered and walked off. I shivered with repulsion, and turned to a tall asian man.

"Hey! I'm James. By the look on your face, you are not happy. Let me show you to the guns and knives." I already liked this man. My eyes widened as I took in everything. Guns after guns lined the shelves, I could see an outdoor shooting range. 

"Why do you have all this stuff?" I asked. It seemed a bit overkill, besides everyone that could use it was a lab rat. He smiled. 

"For you of course. And to train operatives to shoot guns, but for now it's all yours. I'm here to put you in top shape for Mr. Patel, even though you're one of the best." I picked up a Glock, and tested it's weight.

"What's stopping me from shooting you, and then escaping." He chuckled, and shrugged. 

"Nothing. But you'd run into so many guards, it would be impossible. Also, that door doesn't open without  a scan from me, and a password entry.  Of course, you could threaten me, but it really wouldn't matter." I really liked this man. 

"I like you. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to shoot a few rounds." He guided me to the inside range and handed me a pair of ear muffs. I gratefully took them and began to shoot. 

It's your fault.

I ignored my conscience and still shot. There were bullets and extra guns beside me. I gritted my teeth as I fired upwards. 

He's gone because of you. Open your eyes stupid brat.

I reloaded and shot to the side. That little annoying voice still sang in my head. 

Everyone is gone now. Collin's dead, Jared is gone, what about Bradley.

Tyler had thought putting me in solitary confinement would work, it didn't. That stupid voice was back, reminding of everything I had done. I shook it off, I was a killer. A heartless cold killer. I repeated that. Dropping the gun, I sighed. 

"No you're not." James' voice surprised me. I was surprised, I could have hit him. 

"You have emotions, you're not cut out for this life Elise, and you know it. That's okay. You're sensitive, and kind, not the traits of an assassin. Yet you have trained to the point when your mental state is weakening. Take my advice Elise. Get out of here, change your name, live normally. 

"BrickStone will catch me in minutes, you said so yourself. Besides they already found me a bunch of times, what would be different?"  I snapped. James put his hands up.

"I never said you had to escape." He grinned wickedly. "Tyler loves you, it's obvious. Wait a little, earn his trust, and bam, you'll be out of here in an instant. 

"Then I'm stuck with an angry Tyler searching the world for me. Or I'll be stuck with him forever."  When did my life become so complicated?

"Good point. I guess we'll go along with each day." Why was he trying to get me out.

"Why are you suggesting ways to get me out? Aren't all operatives supposed to be loyal to Tyler? " He smirked.

"Who said I was an operative? Nope. Nice to meet you Miss Houston, I'm the second leader of the Resitance." I gasped, then smiled. Perhaps there was hope after all.

"Oliver Colton at your service miss. Now don't get too excited, becuause I don't bring good news." That was abrupt. 

"I don't know where Coyle is. Our resitance is growing everyday, but we never know if someone is a spy. I'm here to tell you to sit tight, and don't do anything stupid." He shifted. 

"I haven't seen the resitance in so long. Man I miss Eric, he was lucky to get out of here. Him and that pretty girl, Susanna." I didn't bother to correct him. I noticed something else. A little camera in the corner. 

"Hey James? I have a question?" I asked, and picked up the gun casually. 

"You're good friends with Eric, but I can't remember that other girl's name. Something with a C, or B or something?" Now he looked nervous. Little rat, I knew it wouldn't work. 

"Umm.. I can't really remember." He lied. I pulled the gun to his forehead.

"Let's play a game, Oliver, James, whoever you are. You get this question right, I don't splatter your brains, you get it wrong, and let's just say that red isn't your color." He gulped. I pulled up his sleeve while keeping the gun to his head. Yep, a burn. I pushed him down and straddled him. Placing the gun between his eyes, I smiled. 

"What's her name James?" I asked sweetly, and pressed the gun against his skin. 

"B- Bonnie!" He shouted. I grinned, and pretended to move the gun away. I helped him up and shoved him against the wall. 

"Nice try James. How sad it will be that the last voice you hear is mine." I snarled. He glared at me. 

"Last words? Maybe you'll beg for your life?" I asked sadistically. I dubbed him 946, this man was going to die.

"Tyler's brother is looking for you." I froze, and he took that oppurtuntity to get away. I quickly shot the back of his head, and he collapsed. Shooting twice more, I sat in a corner and shook with anger. How dare he try to put false thoughts in my head. I knew this was Tyler's doing.  I ran up to the door and pounded on it. 

"TYLER LET ME OUT NOW! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" I screamed and slammed on it. I was met with silence, and grabbed a gun and placed it to my head. 

"Then goodbye." I whispered and clicked the safety off. The door burst open and Tyler ran through. He jumped on me and pinned me down. Pushing the gun away he hugged me tightly and I felt something wet on my shoulder. He was crying? 

"Don't ever scare me like that again Ellie!" Now I was Ellie? I started to yell at him.

"Why did you do that Tyler? Do you ever want my trust!" He looked so upset as I said that. Served the idiot right.

"I didn't expect you to kill him, god Ellie." I hated that name.  It sounded too innocent for me.

"Don't call me that. What was that for Tyler! Did I deserve that? Was that really necessary! Tell me you stupid prat!" I screamed. What was the point of that.

"Elise, it was a test." He admitted. "I needed to see if you would pick up on it, see what you can do." I rolled my eyes, and forced out tears. 

"So I'm just another lab rat to you? After what we've been through, we kisssed Ty! I was just beginning to trust you, and you ruined it." Was he really falling for my fake act. He sat me up and wrapped his arms around me. I pretended to cry. 

"No Elise, this wasn't supposed to happen! No! This can't-" I cut him off by kissing him. Again, nothing there but warm contact and disgust. His eyes widened then closed as he kissed me back.  We pulled apart, gasping for air. 

"Elise. That was amazing. I love you." At that moment, I had to make a choice. I was stuck in a game, a game I knew I couldn't win. Not personally. But sometimes you had to make sacrifies, in order to get ahead. As I said those four words, I knew that I had sealed my fate. 

"I love you too." 

Unknown P.O.V.

"So tell me Daniel, what's next? Are they going to sleep together, get married! Why is she forgiving him!' I smashed my hand on the counter. Daniel tried to calm me down. 

"She's faking sir, you can see she's disgusted. He loves her, she loathes him, calm down!" I took a few deep breaths. 

"You may be right. She was supposed to be with anyone, except Tyler. Silver was never supposed to love him! Do you know how much of a dent this puts in our plan? Let's just call it off, BrickStone wins!" I shouted. 

"Your overreacting. We'll get her out, but how's she going to react when she sees you though?" I sighed through my nose. 

"I don't know, she'll probably be mad at me. You know, I've seen her photos, before she became Elise Silver. What a loving an innocent child, never hurt a fly. Now look at her. Twenty-six, has killed over fifty people, it's insane! She just killed someone without a second thought. I'm so worried about her." I placed my head in my hands, much like she had just done. 

"Have you ever considered the thought that she could turn out just like Tyler? I know it's a tough pill to swallow sir, but it's in her nature. I mean look at her father.

"She knows nothing of her father. All she knows is that Andrew Houston is a boring stock broker from Queens, and that's it. That's all she'll ever know." I snapped. I would make sure of that.

"You can't protect her forever, you're in a worse situation than she is sir."  I nodded.

"I want a hit placed on Tyler, now." I commanded. Daniel looked surprisd.

"It's not that easy sir. Plus, it'll mess up all of our- I cut him off abrtuptly. 

"I WANT A HIT ON TYLER PATEL, NOW!" I scremaed, sounding like a child. Daniel excused himself and started to leave. 

"What happened to you? When you were with her, you were so happy? Why screw it up!" I had asked myself that question countless times. 

"Sometimes, in order to win the battle, you have to lose the war. I don't even though what I stand for anymore Daniel, I truly don't." He left again. I pulled out Elise's file. 

"Let's see everything that you're hiding Miss Houston.."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

595 40 18
I feel strong arms wrap around my waist to keep me from falling and I look up to see his black eyes staring down deep into mine. I feel my cheeks hea...
18 3 4
In a declining, pre-apocalyptic city where vampire/human society is barely hanging on by a thread, Elise, who is just a human, gets to attend the onl...
CHASE By Coco Chanel

General Fiction

53.1K 2K 14
Cartier aka Chase has had a hard life. Her life has been nothing but chaos. From her uncle tricking her into thinking it's okay to have sex with her...
58.4K 996 10
TOP RATING - 10- killing 13- knives Find out what happens when Mia accidentally catches Luke eye and she gets attacked instead of Luke been the o...