Second Chances (Ricky + Nini)

By anonymouslizard2021

After a huge fight, Nini and Ricky break up, and they go their separate ways. But do second chances really ex... More

chapter 1 - it's brutal out here
chapter 2 - the mess i made when you were mine
chapter 3 - if you're out there, I hope that ur ok
chapter 4 - i hope you're happy but don't be happier
chapter 6 - it's only a matter of time
chapter 7 - one step forward, three steps back
chapter 8 - something in the air
chapter 9 - a moment to begin again
chapter 10 - if i could go back and change the past
chapter 11 - jealousy, jealousy
chapter 12 - i'm the love of your life until i make you mad
chapter 13 - i'm done pretending i want anyone else
chapter 14 - cocomparison is killing me slowly
chapter 15 - meet me in the middle of midnight
chapter 16 - even when you and i are miles apart, i hold you in my heart
chapter 17 - i think i kinda you know
chapter 18 - stupid, emotional, obsessive little me
chapter 19 - when we're underneath the lights
chapter 20 - you're probably with that blonde girl who always made me doubt
chapter 21 - out of the old, i gotta find my own
chapter 22 - everything's changin' within me
chapter 23 - i thought we had more time
chapter 24 - what if i'm everything that i will ever need
chapter 25 - it's rare that something feels this right
chapter 26 - oh the things i did
chapter 27 - look where we ended up
chapter 28 - it'll be okay with you by my side
chapter 29 - the perfect gift
chapter 30 - always dreamed it's you and me until the end
chapter 31 - you're doin' great out there without me
chapter 32 - all i ever wanted was to be enough for you
chapter 33 - close the book before it turns to tragedy
chapter 34 - now i drive alone past your street
chapter 35 - i've lost my mind, i've spent the night crying
chapter 36 - you ran to her the second that we called it quits
chapter 37 - the courage to unlearn all of the hatred
chapter 38 - you've been workin on yourself
chapter 39 - all i left behind's got me feelin so torn
chapter 40 - be a little braver than i had
chapter 41 - i say that i'm through but this song's still for you
chapter 42 - do you get de ja vu?
chapter 43 - something in the summer wind
chapter 44 - there's someone in my life that makes it all worthwhile
epilogue
sequel

chapter 5 - i just can't imagine how you could be so okay

606 15 4
By anonymouslizard2021

[a/n : Thanks for reading the story hope y'all are enjoying it. I promise it wont be too much of a slow burn, rini will meet again soon enough.]

The airport was particularly hectic today. People were running around every which way, trolleys and luggages were scattered about, and there have been numerous announcements in the past 10 minutes. Ricky Bowen, however, was completely oblivious to his surroundings. He was too busy worrying and texting his best friend to notice. A few weeks ago, he'd made the decision to visit his mom in Chicago, and at the time he felt like it was the mature decision and he was proud of himself. But now he was racked with anxiety, and he was beginning to doubt himself. 

Ricky : Red. U still at the parking lot ?  I'm not so sure about this anymore.

Red : I left a while ago and you're going to chicago
Ricky : what if she doesn't want to see me ? 

Red : she's the one who asked you to visit right... 

Ricky : technically it was todd .. and she didn't want to see me all these years.. what changed? 
Red : people change rick... maybe the cancer changed her? or maybe she did want to see you all this time, she was just too nervous (kinda like you rn) cause there's a lot of tension between you guys. 
Red : look. just board the plane and see her. give it a shot ricky, you'll never know unless you go. if things don't work out, i've got your back. 
Ricky : i hate when you're right

Red : I'm proud of you man. I know Nini would be too. 

Red was right, Nini would be proud of him for taking the first step towards reconciliation with his mom. Hopefully they can be civil with each other. He grabbed his belongings and his luggage, and proceeded to get in line to board the plane. 
____ 

Nini, Kourtney and EJ were having lunch together. EJ was desperately trying to get one of them to adopt a puppy at the dog shelter he volunteers at. Apparently one of the rescue labradors just had puppies, and he needed to find owners for them immediately. Kourtney was absolutely against it, while Nini was basically melting into a puddle of goo when EJ showed her the photos. 

"No way.. I am not sharing my apartment with a puppy. I have too many clothes I'm working on, there's a pile of fabric everywhere, and a puppy is just going to scratch and ruin everything." Kourtney said dismissively. 

"But they're so cute.. Right, Neens?" EJ said, "And there are no piles fabric at your apartment..." 

Nini didn't answer, still scrolling through the photos and videos on EJ's phone, mesmerized by the lab puppies. 

Kourtney rolled her eyes. "Earth to Nina!" 

"Sorry!" Nini snapped out of it, "They're just so cute..." 

"Cute enough for you to adopt one?" EJ asked hopefully

"Ugh.. I'll think about it, pal." 

EJ pumped his fist in the air, feeling satisfied with her answer. 

"Anyway, I need you guys to weigh in on something... a project I'm thinking about pitching to Doyle." Nini said. Doyle was her boss, he was kind and always encouraged Nini to come up with new concepts. "He came into my office the other day, and he said he needed ideas.  Apparently the December issue is always different and special, and if I propose a project it would open up a lot of doors for me." 

Nini presented her idea to them. She had found this organization called YAC - Youth Artists Center, they focus on creating art programs to help at-risk youth, and she wanted Figment to collaborate with them. The staff at Figment would mentor some of the youth who wanted to take part in the project. Then, December issue of the magazine would highlight the works of these young artists. And to close the year, they would hold a fundraiser where the art would be showcased. Nini had always been passionate about the importance of art programs for struggling teens, and she really wanted this project to work out. 

By the time she was done talking, EJ and Kourtney themselves were excited for the program, and gave her the confidence she needed to pitch the idea. 
_____

Ricky took a deep breath and walked out as the elevator doors opened. He was currently on the hospital floor where his mom was staying. He stopped in the middle of the corridor, bending down to untie and re-tie his shoes, he was really just stalling for time. He decided to give himself a pep talk since Nini wasn't there to do it for him. 

"Okay Ricky. You've got this. She's just your mom, you've met her before, it'll be fine." 

Ricky got up and quickly made his way to her door before he lost the courage. He knocked once, twice, three times, but nobody answered. The door wasn't locked so he just entered the room quietly. He gasped when he saw the figure lying on the bed with machines hooked up everywhere on her body. Ricky had always found his mom intimidating, but right now she looked so frail and old. She was fast asleep, so Ricky just sat on a chair by her bed and scrolled through his phone trying not to think about what she would say if she woke up to see him. 

Ricky was so focused on his phone, he didn't realize someone had come inside the room, and was now standing behind him. 

"Ricky?" 

Ricky clenched his jaw, he recognized the man's voice. 

"Todd." Ricky turned around to face him, and he didn't expect to feel sorry for the guy, but Todd looked like he hadn't slept in days, and he had clearly been crying because his eyes were bloodshot.

"This is a surprise. Lynne will be so happy to see you."

"Umm.. yeah." 

"So, I was just about to wake her up so the nurses can change all these tubes attached to her. And maybe after that you guys can talk. You might want to wait outside for a sec though, it's not a pretty sight." 

"Sure." Ricky took his backpack and stepped out, but he watched them from the small window on the door. Todd had kissed Lynne's forehead, waking her up, and he held her hand the whole time the nurses worked on her. He talked and made her laugh, distracting her from the medical procedures. 

When it was all done, Todd came out to bring Ricky into the room. 

"So, you have a visitor, hon." Todd said to Lynne. "I'm gonna leave you two alone." 

"Hi." Ricky said, shifting his weight from one leg to the other. 

"Richard." Lynne rasped "I didn't expect you to come." 

"Yeah.. you and me both." 

"How long are you going to be in Chicago?" 

"Just for the weekend." Ricky replied. "I've got work on Monday."

"You're still taking photos?" 

Ricky hated whenever they talked about his job, because she always wanted him to be a lawyer like her, and she always made him feel like his job wasn't a "real job". 

"Yes. I'm a photographer, Mom."

"Can I see them? Your photos?" 

This was the first time Lynne had ever shown any interest in his work, so Ricky took out his phone to show her some of his latest works. She seemed to enjoy looking at them, so he showed her some more from his archives. She stopped at a particular photo. It was a side-profile of NIni at the beach, the wind blowing her hair, the sun tanning her skin. She looked stunning. 

"How's Nina?" 

"Uh. We kind of broke up, so I don't really know." 

"I'm sorry to hear that. I liked Nina. She was always the responsible one when you guys were kids. What happened?" 

"I overreacted and my temper got the best of me. Said some things I didn't mean."

"Do you still love her?" 

Ricky didn't expect his mom to be asking such direct questions after not talking for so long. 

"Yes." 

"Then you should fight for her. If you love someone then you go after them, no matter what." 

"Right. Like how you fought to be with Todd. I've seen the way he treats you. I get it, Mom, I really do.. he loves you, you're in love." Ricky spoke, tears forming in the corner of his eyes. "But did you have to leave me ? Did you really have to choose him over me?" 

"Ricky. I didn't choose Todd over you-" 

"Really? You're here with him, and you never visited me. Not one birthday or Christmas since high school. I just don't get how you could be so okay with not seeing your son for so many years. I hope it was worth it, Mom. I hope you and Todd live happily ever after." 

"Richard.." 

"I have to go. Maybe this wasn't a good idea." 

____ 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.7K 921 46
When a heartbroken Nini is finally ready to hang out with her friends again, she realizes it's going to be a lot harder than what she prepared for. W...
177K 5.4K 82
━━━━ 𝐆𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋𝐒 〝 so you're different, then? different than people presume you to be? 〞 ...
1.3K 55 35
Is it just a showmance? Or could it more? Nini and Ricky gets casted as the leads in their school's drama performance. Everyone can sense their chem...
243K 6.1K 57
Hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have Andy Kennedy had two different lives, musical theatre with her best friend Ashlyn and skateboa...