Within The Bonds

By nightlighe01

She is innocent They are manipulative She plays it safe They thrive in danger She likes her normal life ... More

Introduction
1: Brothers?
2: Mysterious Driver
3: Everyone's Home
4: Just Jet Lagged
5: Rules are for fools
6: Who Hurt You?
7: Panic Attack
8: Allergies
9: No Doctors
10: More Brothers?
11: One Long Day
12: Dinner Drama
13: Comfort
14: Shopping?
15: Bull's Eye
16: Flashback
17: First Day
18: Tryouts
19: Murdered
20: Security Team
21: Big Trouble
22: Who's Seb?
23: Haunting Past
24: Silence
25: Truth
26: Psych Psychologist
27: Permission
28: Tizan
29: Prank Time!
30: Jason
31: An Anagram?
32: Getting Down To Buisness
33: Memory Box
34: Fallon
35: Definition Of Annoyance
36: Monkey In The Middle
37: Dad!?
38: Dilemma
39: Cold Sweat
40: Rule Number Three
41: Closure
42: Floating Restaurant
43: Dreaming Of Mum
44: Toy War
45: Naming Ducks
46: Negotiations
47: The Family Rule
48: Face The Consequences
49: Their Office
50: Troubled Thoughts
51: Shell-Shocked
52: Straight Answers
53: Bugged
54: Achy Muscles
55: Hell Week
56: I'm Screwed
57: I Need To Get Help
58: Lisa Polisa
59: Clue 1
60: Uprooting Storm
61: Dream Or Reality?
62: A New View
63: Fourteen-Years-Ago
64: Couple Of Weeks Away
65: Improvise
66: UNO
67: Special Agent Louis
68: Crushy Crushy Crush
69: Details
70: Lemon Tart
71: Don't You Dare Finish That Sentence
72: You're Bossy
73: Cranberry Fruit Punch
74: We're Dead Meat
75: Not Your Damn Daughter
76: Candy Stripers
77: Connecting The Dots
78: I Need Air
79: Power
80: I Like You
81: The Todorov's & Volkov's
82: We've Got Company
84: Rescue
85: Fallen In Place
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Epilogue
The Sequel

83: Up The Tree

10.2K 438 47
By nightlighe01

Breaking away from each other and jumping back to our feet ending our kiss that lasts just a couple of moments that beat by too fast, we cautiously start to retrace our steps.

"What if it isn't them?" I voice my thoughts ducking down to avoid a branch in my way.

"That's what we have to find out," he replies following my action and pushing past a few branching blocking our way.

"And how are we going to do that without getting caught?" I enquire further finding numerous flaws in our plan that can land us in the same hole we just crawled out of.

"We observe...from a distance," he vaguely replies.

"Observe what exactly? If this is a trap to lure us back in, then don't you think they will be on the lookout for us?" I remark craning my neck to glance at him for a brief moment.

"And that is why we will not be approaching the clearing until we are sure that it isn't a trap. But if it indeed helps, we cannot afford to stay in hiding and hope that they find us," he explains making me nod in understanding.

"So, what do we do exactly?" I ask as a cloud of confusion settles over my mind.

"We just need to get close enough to get a visual cabin," he remarks holding his hand out towards me and helping me across a pile of rocks blocking our way.

"And then what?" I press for more details.

"We wait for them," he shrugs.

"But how will they know that we're waiting for them?" I voice the obvious flaw in his plan.

"Trust me, they'll know," he reassures me after which I don't ask any more questions as we make our way through the dense forest.

Apprehension starts to build within me with every step we take knowing that it's leading us closer to the cabin. And I can seem to shake off this feeling that keeps telling me that by the end of all of this I'm either going to lose my life or my relationship.

But a tiny ray of light in the back of my mind gives me a sense of hope that maybe after all of this, I just might be able to have the happy ending I want. I never dreamt of a knight in shining armor or of a white picket fence house, all I want is at the end of all of this is to be surrounded by people I love and who love me back.

The faint sound of his voice hits my ears pulling me out of my thoughts and causing me to snap back to reality. "Sorry, did you say something?"

"I was just asking if you have any plans for your birthday, it's just a few months away, am I right?" He repeats his previous question.

"Two months," I nod. "And no, I haven't. I don't really like celebrations, especially big ones," I add in admittance.

"Why not?" He wonders aloud appearing truly intrigued by my response.

"For one, you have to spend weeks planning and organizing it and it's over within a few hours. Secondly, on that day you spend the first half getting read and the rest of the day greeting people you pretend to know, it just seems like a lot of work to me if I'm being honest," I shrug.

"But you also get to spend that day with your close family and friends, that has to count for something," he remakes.

"It does, but if you think about it, you don't need some big fancy celebration to spend the day with close family and friends," I point out.

"True," he admits. "So, how do you want to spend your birthday?" He adds as an afterthought.

"With lots of junk food and ice cream," I reply in a heartbeat. "And with you all being there too, of course," I add quickly earning myself one of his infamous heart-swooning smiles.

"Hold on," he instructs extending his arm in front of me causing us to come to an abrupt halt.

"This way," he says, pulling me along another path going in a totally different direction than we were following before.

"How much longer?" I pant as exhaustion takes over me and my feet scream in protest.

"Not much," he replies clearly trying to mask the enervation shadowing his features.

"Ever climbed a tree before?" He asks out of the blues as he halts yet again and takes a moment to scan our surroundings.

"Yeah...back in grade school, why?" I counter-question, my brows frowned.

"Because that's where we are going to be observing and waiting at, so, come on, up here," he says motioning towards a tree while the end of the forest and the beginning of the clearing is in far sight.

"Why can't we just do that from ground level?" I ask taking in the height of the tree he wants us to climb.

"We need to get a good view of the place without getting too close, and without getting spotted," he explains, glancing at me with a thoughtful look.

"Astoria, are you afraid of heights?" He asks as an afterthought as realization flashes in his eyes.

"No," I reply a bit too quickly earning myself a don't-try-lying-to-me look.

"I'm not afraid of heights," I persist, "just of falling from them," I add in a whisper.

"That's understandable," he remarks. "But I've got our back," he adds beckoning towards the tree making me sigh.

"If I fall to my death, I'm going to haunt you for the rest of my undead life," I tell him as I find my grip on the tree and hauling myself upwards.

"Trust me the only harm a fall from this height might bring is a broken arm," he dismisses. "But like I've said, I got your back," he adds as an afterthought with a light chuckle.

Hearing him say that for some unknown reason causes the butterflies to be set free in my tummy. 'Not the right time' My mind taunts as my heartbeat races as he starts to climb the tree behind me as I find a steady spot at the base of the branch.

"What's wrong?" He whispers into my ear throwing his leg across the branch and taking a seat behind me.

"Nothing," I mumble as I feel a blush tint the apple of my cheeks the flutter lingers in the pit of my stomach and a feeling of safety envelops us as he circles his left arm around my waist.

"There," he says using his free hand to point towards the clearing that is now in plain view.

"Those look like my brothers' cars," I remark squinting to get a better look at the vehicles parked rashly in a distance.

"I think so too," he agrees. "And by the look of it my family has joined the party as well," he points out the three cars beside the ones I've claimed to be mine.

"So how long do we stay up here?" I ask, craning my neck just enough to get a peek at his face.

"Just enough," he mutters with some form of restraint in his tone that I can't positively identify.

"You're buying time, aren't you?" I sound my remark as a question, subconsciously leaning into his as his grip around my waist tightens ever-so-slightly as though I'm about to slip away forever.

"Let's just wait here until we are sure they have the situation under control," he negotiates which I'm more than willing to agree with.

"What happens after that?" I wonder aloud, yet my tone doesn't exceed a fragile whisper.

"We try finding common ground with your brothers," he replies indifferently, even though I know for a fact he is anything but indifferent about our situation.

"And if we can't any?" I enquire further well aware that none of them will approve of this no matter how much I try explaining my side of the story.

"I'm not giving up on us if that's what you're worried about," he replies firmly giving me all the reassurance I need.

"I'm not worried...I'm...there's just a lot going on right now, that's all," I dismiss myself, focusing my attention back towards the clearing and the cabin as the sound of gunshot permeate the air causing me to jump in surprise.

"I know," he mumbles, resting his chin above my head.

"Looks like it's time to face reality," I remark spotting my brothers and numerous men dressed in dark suits with bulletproof vests strapped over their chests scanning the area encompassing the cabin with utmost scrutiny.

"It's time to head back," he agrees as a knot forms in the pit of my stomach and throat runs dry.     

Author's Note: 

Okay so after deleting and rewriting this chapter over three times here it is...I hope you enjoyed this and I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments so feel free! 

And thanks for reading! 

Comment &vote 

~Kia 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 30.2K 83
Briella,17, never had a stable family set up. She was left alone by the age of 7, to fend for herself. Her father hated her, abused her for her whole...
835K 29.9K 84
What does it feel like, just living upto someone's expectations? Being someone you're not? Being restricted for your whole life? Not being allowed to...
5.6M 180K 104
𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥, 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐢𝐧. Valentina Rossi was taken away from her father and brothers to keep her safe by her mother, but he...
1.7M 38.3K 62
Targeted by her real family consisting of 6 dangerous older brothers as the 14 year old Ariana Alvarez finds out her parents aren't her blood. Will t...