Time and Time Again [Disconti...

Від T1m3W4RP

Two friends out of time meet each other once more on the streets of New York with another threat to both worl... Більше

QUICK A/N READ TO NOT BE CONFUSED
1: The Move
2: Arrival at America
3: New House, New Neighbors
4: They're Playing Mythomagic and Saving a Puppy
5: The Dinner Invite
6: School and Problems
7: Birthday!
8: The Lightning Bolt
9: No Peace for You
10: A Bird and a Tin Can Learn Mythomagic
11: Doctor's Orders and Newspapers
13: Smithsonian and a Kinda Sleepover?
14: Morning's are Terrible and Day Offs are Sometimes Nice
15: Don't Blame Us! Blame The Laestrygonian!
16: We're Lying to A Pirate and a Hero Group
17: Training Assessment
18: Getting Settled In
19: Asking a God for Permission to Stop Lying
20: Using a Favor for a Kid
21: Informing Friends On Stuff That Went Down
22: More Questions and Mission Debriefs
23: The Actual Mission
24: Mission Ends and Questions Kind Of Get Answered
25: Four Demigods and a Satyr Hold a Press Conference
26: The Message From the Creepy People
27: Welcome to Camp Half Blood Mortals
28: Exploring and Getting Ready
Monster Fighting 101
Fury Gets a Message
Lunch And a Visit To The Doctor's
The Company Arrives

12: Journey to New York. Again. And a Brief Encounter

4.3K 132 111
Від T1m3W4RP

Nico woke up the next morning to a soft knocking on his door. He grumbled something about being sleep-deprived, got up, shuffled to the door, and opened it to reveal a messy-haired Jason.

"Morning Nico. We gotta arrive early in the city so we have a chance of seeing them on patrol since they do that. And so we arrive just in time for the museum." Nico just nodded his head, rubbing his eyes.

"Gimme time to change..." He said, his words slurred a bit. "Yeah okay. I'll be waiting by Peleus. By the way, I told Chiron that we'd be going into the city and we'd IM him every few nights in case we spend a few days away." After that, he walked off to probably wait by the Athena Parthenos.

Nico closed the door and went through the drawer in his cabin for clothes. After finally deciding, only took about 5 minutes, he decided to wear a light purple shirt, his aviator jacket, skinny jeans with pockets, and scuffed shoes. He also slung his sword across his back in case of monsters. He was debating whether to put on his beret but decided against it.

He headed over to his bed, crouched, and took out the tin box filled with his prized possessions. He took out the compass and the necklace, looked at both of them, then stuffed both into his pocket. "Might give me luck or something..." He said aloud. No one would hear him anyway.

He took the small pouch of drachmas he always kept under his pillow and stuffed it into his other pocket.

He left the cabin and headed over to Peleus greeting a few of the campers that greeted him. They were heading over to the mess hall to eat breakfast. "Nico!" Yelled Piper, heading up to him.

"Hey, Pipes." He greeted, not stopping. Piper fell into step with him and asked, "Do you know where Jason is?"

"I'm going on a small quest with him, no prophecy." Piper sucked in a breath when he mentioned a quest but sighed when he added there wasn't a prophecy. "There better not be or I will beat the Oracle's spirit myself, sorry Rachel." Nico gave a small smile which she returned.

"You should head to the mess hall for breakfast." Piper nodded. "Just let me say goodbye to Jason first." Luckily, they arrived at Thalia's tree where Jason was petting Peleus.

"Pipes! Nico!" He greeted, finally looking up from petting his snout. "Hey, Jason. Nico told me about the quest you two were going on." Jason looked a bit sheepish. He forgot to tell Piper.

"I'll let it slide that you didn't tell me because Nico told me." Jason let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. "Piper just say goodbye to me and Jason can go and you can have breakfast."

"Nico!" Jason and Piper said at the same time. Nico, who was right on the edge of the border, shrugged and walked through.

Piper and Jason said goodbye and Jason followed Nico through the barrier. "So Jason. Did you have a plan for getting to New York?" Jason nodded and pointed to a newly established bus stop near camp. "We take the bus, of course."

The bus stop was put there by Chiron, who asked for a favor from the gods for an easy way to travel from the city to camp and vice versa. There were newer campers that lived in the city so they had to have some sort of easy travel from New York to camp, hence the bus stop.

Now, a bus that accepts both mortal and demigod passengers follows a route from Long Island to NYC. The bus goes at a normal pace for mortals but for half-bloods and other mythical creatures, it goes as fast as the Chariot of the Damned so, pretty fucking fast. Think the Knight Bus in Harry Potter, but for mortals and mythical folk.

The bus wasn't going to arrive in a few more minutes so Nico just stood there waiting, fidgeting with his compass. He was flicking the cover just to cope with the boredom.

"What's that?" Asked Jason who finally got bored at cloud watching. Nico thought about whether to answer him or not. "A gift on my 8th birthday." Jason looked at it for a few seconds before asking, "Can I have a look?"

"Aren't you looking at it already?"

"A closer look then." Nico thought about it again before shrugging internally. I mean, what's the worst that can go wrong? Before giving it to Jason, Nico pulled out the picture of him and his friends and stuffed it into his pocket.

Jason examined the compass carefully. "This is from the '30s? Cool." He flipped the cover open. "Woah! Cool needle. Hey, can I ask?" Nico nodded.

"Who gave this to you?" Nico took a sharp breath. He was anticipating the question but he hoped that Jason wouldn't ask it. "My mom did." Jason looked at him. "Oh, well you've taken great care of it from what I've seen."

He carefully handed back the compass to Nico who put the photo back inside and shoved it into his pocket. The rest of the wait was spent in awkward silence.

When the bus arrived, they waited for a small family to get off and boarded it themselves. When they got seated, Nico started fidgeting with his ring.

"Sorry for making the conversation awkward earlier." Said Jason a few minutes after they boarded the bus. "It's fine." Nico said, lost in his thoughts.

Absentmindedly, he pulled out the necklace and fidgeted. Jason noticed this but decided not to comment seeing the faraway look in his eyes.

When they reached the bus stop, Jason and Nico got off and immediately set foot towards the heart of the city. "So, first up, we've got Tony Stark. He's in a bunch of magazines and told the world that he's a superhero." He told Nico in Latin. Nico learned a lot from staying at Camp Jupiter. He wasn't exactly fluent, but it's better than nothing.

They got a few stares but it's better than openly discussing it in a language everyone could understand.

"If he's in magazines then he's rich, right?" Nico looked at Jason who was shrugging. "Possibly. I mean, people who get put in magazines are either famous, pretty, or rich."

"Anyone else you have info on Grace?" Jason nodded. "There's Bruce Banner. Some specific Athena campers are big fans of the guy. Especially in his papers on gamma radiation. The Ares campers on the other hand, like the way he turns into a big green destructive monster."

"Wait, what?" Nico said, staring at him. "Yeah apparently, according to Eustice, the 14-year-old Athena camper, the dude got caught in a lab accident so gamma radiation turns him into a monster a.k.a, the Hulk."

Nico kept walking. "Okay, while I'm processing the information you can give the next one." Jason nodded.

"Okay, the next one is Steve Rogers. The dude came from the '40s and got defrosted like a fish stick 70 years later. He has some sort of serum in his body that enhances his normal mortal senses. We can visit the museum if you want more info." Nico nodded, remembering the encounter he had with his friend yesterday.

"Wait to hold on, how did you get this info anyway?" Jason looked nervous for a good 30 seconds.

"Jason..." Nico said in a wary tone. "I may have gone to an internet cafe, used the computers to search up these guys, and run immediately outside to see a hydra waiting for me a few blocks down the street."

"Jason." Said the blonde putting his hands in the air in mock defeat. "Sue me if you want but there wasn't much info on them unless you went online." Nico sighed, massaging the bridge of his nose. This was the bullshit he dealt with.

"Anyway, who's next." They continued walking, still getting weird stares from talking in Latin. "There's Thor who I couldn't get a lot off of but from what I read and heard from Magnus, he's a Norse god though he's more of an alien. Annabeth's cousin knows the guy." Nico groaned. Great. More gods and another thing to add to his list. Don't ask what the list is for.

"Yeah, that's my reaction as well when I read it. Anyways, the last two I couldn't get names but from what I read, they work for the government." Nico just nodded.

So there was a famous rich person, a scientist that turns into a monster, a Nordic god, two people who work for the government, and his old childhood friend. Well, if they were to encounter them, fighting or not, it would be a rollercoaster.

"Can we go to a restaurant or something? I'm starving." Jason said, clutching his stomach. "Sure, but you're paying." Jason just nodded. Nico pulled him in the direction of a nearby 7/11.

"Y'know, they have those sandwiches and ready meals. And they're pretty cheap too." Jason said, looking at the prices. "I'm gonna have the egg sandwich. You?"

"I'll just have a hotdog thanks," Nico said, eyeing the coffee machine. Jason noticed and snapped in Nico's face. "Nico, no."

"C'mon, it's coffee. It helps keep me awake." Jason pulled him away. "You're having water, okay? You've had enough coffee these last few days to energize the entirety of the Hermes cabin for a week."

"That is an over-exaggeration." Nico said, pointing a finger at Jason's face. "It is but you get the point. So either you drink water or a caffeinated drink that isn't coffee or you drink nothing." Nico grumbled and followed Jason to the counter who had two egg sandwiches, two bottles of water, and Nico's hotdog.

"Hi, is there a way for my friend to have caffeine without drinking coffee?" Jason asked the person at the cashier. "Uh, there are energy drinks but I don't recommend those in the morning." They said while scanning their items.

"Okay, thank you!" Jason nudged Nico who let out a soft, "Thank you" to the person. On their way out, they passed a man wearing shades and a goatee and a blonde man wearing a cap with his hair peeking out from under it.

Nico, who was getting passed a hotdog, accidentally bumped into the goatee guy. "Hey!" Goatee said. "Sorry, wasn't paying attention." Nico said absentmindedly, now biting on his hotdog.

"Nico c'mon!" Yelled Jason from outside. The blonde flinched a bit, a barely noticeable flinch. "Yeah yeah, I'm coming." Nico went through the doors and he and Jason continued to walk the streets.

"Tony, remind me again why we're going to a convenience store?" Steve said, tugging down his cap. "Because, Capsicle, you still need to be taught fundamentals to survive in the 21st century." Steve internally rolled his eyes.

He knew how TV's worked, how microwaves worked, how most common technology works, knows how to work a touchscreen phone for the most part and he has the basics of the internet understood. Heck, he even knew what memes and Vines were thanks to Clint who has 2 pre-teens who are online, constantly.

Of course, Tony didn't know that but he didn't need to know everything about Steve's journey of learning the 21st-century know-how.

The 21st century was about technology and he's learned the basics although he preferred technology considered ancient to them. Like Nokia flip phones, CD players, and a VHS tape.

"What fundamentals do you mean exactly." Tony looked up at him. "Number 1, slang. Which can be learned through Gen Z. Now, I don't have their slang memorized, but I've got a basic understanding of it. So, while I buy me and you a coffee and a donut each, ask whoever's at the count to teach you slang."

"Why do I ask who's at the counter." Tony rolled his eyes at him. "Sadly, most Gen Z works in customer service so it's most likely that the person at the counter would be a teenager but just to be sure, ask the person if they're Gen Z or not." Steve hesitantly nodded his head.

They were at the 7/11 and there were 2 boys about to exit. The blonde passed a hotdog to the one behind him that the boy accidentally bumped into Tony. "Hey!" Tony exclaimed.

"Sorry, wasn't paying attention." The boy didn't even spare a glance at Tony and just bit into the hotdog passed to him.

"Nico c'mon!" Yelled the blonde. The familiar name sent a pang through Steve's heart. He tried to convince himself that there was no way. Nico was a common name and that kid definitely wasn't his friend Nico.

They look similar to an extent. Maybe a relative of his? He doubted it was Nico's grandson. Nico and Bianca died in the freak lightning accident with their mom.

"Hey Cap, you good?" Asked Tony, noticing that Steve was just standing there, looking at the boy who just passed. Steve nodded and headed inside. Best to get this over with.

"Nico, why didn't you say sorry to the dude?" Jason said. "For your information, he bumped into me since he should've seen us exit the 7/11. Also, I did say sorry, you're just deaf." Jason stood there in silence for a few seconds. "... The first point was fair, the second one was just hurtful. Now finish your hotdog while I ask strangers how to get to the Smithsonian."

"No fear." Nico said, patting Jason's shoulder and leading the way. Jason, confused, just followed him.

"Uh, where are we going?"  Asked Jason. Nico looked back at him. "Didn't you say you wanted to go to the Smithsonian?" A nod. "I'm gonna take us there. Don't look at me like that. I may have been in a hotel for nearly more than 70 years but I very well know my way around New York." He said, receiving a weird look from Jason.

"Okay... You better not get us lost though." Nico just nodded. He put his free hand out to Jason. "... What?"

"Can I have one of the waters you bought? My throat feels like I just ate a Monster donut." Jason pouted. He kinda liked the Monster donuts.

He rummaged in the paper bag given to him and handed one of the water bottles to Nico.

"Thanks, Jason." He uncapped the water button and started drinking from it. "Yeah, sure, no problem." Jason said absentmindedly, trying to unwrap the egg sandwich that he bought.

Nico looks back at Jason to see him struggling. "Uh, do you need help?" Jason shook his head. "I'm the son of Jupiter I don't need help, especially if it's just a damn wrapper."

Nico stopped at the bus stop, waiting for the bus that would take them closer to the Smithsonian. "I think the mighty son of Jupiter, might need a little help in defeating the wrapper." Nico said teasingly.

"Shut up Neeks." Jason said, now glaring at the egg sandwich. "I swear to the gods if this wrapper does not come undone-" While he was cursing the wrapper, it's suddenly ripped and he would've dropped the sandwich if it wasn't for Nico.

"Thanks." He said, looking at Nico who caught both sandwiches with his free hand. "No problem." Nico said, handing over the sandwiches to Jason. He tossed the wrapper in the trash and put the sandwiches on a few napkins that were in the bag.

"Okay, just like I told you, Cap. Strike up a conversation and ask about slang." Tony said, shoving him lightly towards the counter. Steve sent a small glare in Tony's direction before heading up to the counter.

"Hi, what can  I do for you?" Asked the person at the cashier who was playing on their phone. "Uh..." The person glanced up. "Uh, sir?" Steve mentally slapped himself. Oh god, Tony's gonna make fun of him down a while.

"Yeah, um... Are you Gen Z?" The person smirked. "And are you a parent who gave up on trying to learn what the hell their teenager is saying?" Steve stayed silent for a second. "No..." The person gave a smile. "Well then, yeah I am. Nick or Niki, at your service." Niki said, giving a small bow.

"Uh, I'm sorry for asking but, what do you mean by 'Nick or Niki'?" Steve's head reeled a bit. Clint told him a bit about the LGBT+ community but he didn't think he had the brain capacity to comprehend that what wasn't allowed in their time was allowed now.

Nick cringed and took a step back. "Please don't tell me you're not one of those millennial Chads that have crab mentality. I'm gonna regret introducing myself." Steve shook his head. "Thank Thor." Steve quirked an eyebrow but didn't ask her.

"Well, I'm genderfluid but I was born a girl. I use they/them, she/her, and he/him pronouns. Genderfluid means I don't identify as just one gender and I can fluctuate between genders depending on my mood. Basically, if I was feeling girly one day then I'm a girl, if I was feeling manly the other I'm a boy, and another day if I feel like both then I'm both. If I feel like a genderless mess, then I'm that. Get it?" Explained Niki. It was simplified enough so that anyone can understand it but still complicated enough where certain details get mentioned. (I'm sorry if it's wrong just tell me :) )

Steve nodded. He got the gist of it at least. "So today your pronouns are?" Niki grinned. "I'm any pronouns and any of my two names today so just do with that what you will." Steve nodded and gave a small smile which they reciprocated.

"So, what do you need that you asked me if I was Gen Z?" Steve fidgeted with his hands a bit. "Uh, I kind of have a bet with a friend that I learn what I can about Gen Z slang and confuse him." Not the full truth but it worked. "Are they the friend?" Nick asked, pointing to Tony who was looking at the junk food aisle.

"Yep." Nick just smiled at him. "Well good sir, ma'am, or neuter, you got the right Gen Z. Now, which one do you wanna know first."

Steve and Niki talked for a while Tony recorded everything discreetly. Yeah, he did take him and Steve out to get coffee but seeing him try and guess what Gen Z slang meant was better.

"Wait, what does yeet mean?" Nick snorted making Steve raise an eyebrow. "Oh gods, uh you say it when you're happy, like an expression or when you throw something at full velocity." Steve still looked confused so Niki has to demonstrate.

He picked up an empty cup and told Steve to yeet it. If he got it wrong, she was gonna demonstrate. "Yeet?" Steve said, throwing the cup towards the trash. It wasn't a strong throw as well.

"Oi vey, I guess you do need a demonstration," Nick said, picking up the cup. "Watch and learn, good sir. YEET!" She threw the cup at full velocity towards the wall where the trash was and it got into the trash.

Steve, not ready for the yell jumped a bit making Tony laugh out loud. "Goddammit." Steve said to himself softly. "Please tell me you didn't record that." Tony shrugged and looked back at the snacks.

"Anything else while I drink my water?" Niki asked, drinking his water. "Yeah, what's a boomer?" Nick snorted, choking on his water. Steve had to slap them lightly on the back to stop the choking. "God, I need some milk." Nick laughed to herself.

"Vine, am I right?" Niki looked up at Steve. "Yep. So you know Vines, huh? So you're cultured." Steve nodded, ignoring the last part on purpose. "Back to my question, please? If it's alright.

"'Course it's alright. How do I explain this? Well, a boomer is kind of a term for the older generation but it's also a meme. For example, someone from the 40's to I think the late '60s were to say something like, 'GaYs DoN't DeSeRvE rIgHtS', you say 'ok boomer'. It can also be used on younger generations although some people on Twitter think that it's disrespectful which it isn't until it reaches a certain point which then makes it not ok. Got it?" (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Steve just nodded getting most of the information. So that's why Tony called him a boomer when he said he should get off his phone. He complied but still. "Anything else?" Steve shook his head. "No, but thanks for the lesson, Nick."

Niki gave a small salute. "No problem Cap." Tony took a double-take while Steve just froze. "You knew?" Niki shrugged their shoulders. "I'm shocked the two teens earlier didn't notice who you were honestly besides, you're looking straight at me. How am I not supposed to recognize you?"

"Yeah, we're out of here." Tony said, approaching the counter and putting down a 50-dollar bill. Nick snickered. "Y'know I still gotta scan your items, right?"

"C'mon kid, it's legit just two donuts and two coffees." Niki smirked. "It's my job, Mr. Stark. Now tell me what you bought so I can print your receipt." Tony held out the items.

Niki scanned a few barcodes and printed out the receipt. "Here ya go."

"Thanks, kid. Keep the change." Tony said, lightly shoving Steve out of the store.

"Jeez, alright I'm moving." Steve allowed himself to be steered out of the 7/11 and towards.

"I didn't think the kid would recognize us." Tony said, handing Steve a donut and his coffee. "Really?"

"What?"

"I may be Captain America but not everything about me is patriotic." Steve said, looking at his donut with red, white, and blue sprinkles. "Sorry Cap, couldn't resist." Said Tony, biting into his donut.

Steve groaned before biting into the donut. He can't wait to get back to the compound, in all honesty.

Word count: 3707
Yay long chapter :D

Also, if you guys want something along the same lines of this story, go check out GeekyDarkPoet 's book "Brothers Reunited". I've enjoyed it so far!

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

203K 5.3K 28
Percy comes back to camp to find himself to be the last Demigod in the world. The gods decide to force godhood and immortality onto him before sendin...
236 39 7
So. This is my first story, and I plan to base some of my other stories in the future on the main character. All characters belong to their rightful...
674K 16.3K 22
Percy Jackson is trying to be normal. He has tests to take, he has a girlfriend and friendships to keep up. He has a life, but of course the fates ha...
488K 11.5K 26
After a wrong number texted Tony does some investigating but the answer to his question only make him more concerned On the other side of the phone P...