Never In A Million Years

By sporknife

Liliana Carol has always gone unnoticed in school. She blends into a crowd. Most of the school wouldn't even... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Forty
Chapters 14 & 15 Brendan's POV
Thanks!

Chapter Thirty-Nine

3.8K 129 10
By sporknife

Spring Break comes around quickly, and I haven't had a break from Drew and Danny's pestering. We're all going to get together over spring break, if it kills them.

When I told my mom about this, she was overjoyed. Probably since I've never had a group of friends to hang out with over spring break... But she went all do-good-mother on me and booked a cabin in the mountains for the group to stay in. I can't complain or say I'm not excited.

So, when the last day of school before spring break comes, it's packing away. From what I've been told, it's going to be cold. Snow will still be on the ground up there. I throw in all my sweatshirts and thick jackets and jeans. It's only a three day trip, but I'm guessing I'll need more than three pairs of clothes with the snow.

I hear a knock on my door. I stay where I am, looking at the door about ten feet away. I really don't want to stand up.

"Come in," I call.

A shake of the doorknob. "It's locked."

I let out a frustrated sigh, standing up unwillingly and walking to the door to open it.

Caleb stands before me, holding a Chemistry textbook. He hands it over to me, saying, "You left this in my room yesterday. Figured you'd need it."

"Thanks," I say with a smile. And a thought comes to my mind. "What are you doing over break?"

"Ah," he shrugs. "Nothing. Just hanging around here, I guess."

"Then go pack a suitcase," I say. "You're coming up to the mountains with me."

"And Brendan and Danny and Drew?" Caleb asks, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah," I smile. "It'll be fun, I promise. They're nice people."

He hesitates for a moment before nodding. "Alright, sure."

"We're leaving in an hour, go get packed now!" I say shoving him out the door. "Meet me down in the courtyard when you're ready."

He nods, then leaves at a quick pace. I'm glad he's coming. It'll give him a chance to see what I've been talking about this whole time. They are good people. He's just been on the wrong side.

*•*•*

When Brendan meets me down by his room, I drag my two suitcases along to the courtyard. I spot Caleb on a bench, holding a single suitcase beside him.

"Oh, right," I say, remembering that I haven't told Brendan the change in plans. "Um, I invited Caleb to come along with us... If you don't mind."

"Sure, why not?" He says with a smile.

When Caleb notices us, he walks up to us. We exchange a brief hello, then make our way out to the parking lot. Brendan's car is luckily in the second row of cars. I don't think I could pull these suitcases much further than here.

Once we're all situated, suitcases in the trunk, Caleb sitting in the back, and Brendan and I up front, we begin our four hour journey.

This is probably the most awkward car ride of Caleb's life. Brendan and I are up front, holding hands, and talking the entire time. I try to bring him into the conversations as much as possible, but I can tell he feels weird about it.

By about the second hour, I'm dead asleep, my head against the window.

*•*•*

"So, Brendan, you and I have never really talked much."

"Not really. I think we should work on that, actually. Lili would like that."

"Yeah. Um, about Lili actually... You know she's my best friend, right? And I just want to make sure she gets the best... And you're back together with her now."

"I promise I won't screw this up, Caleb. I'm not messing around with her."

"Alright. Sorry, just making sure."

"No, that's great. It's good that you're looking out for her."

"Yeah... And, I mean, we've gotten off on a horrible path with each other... And I was hoping we could forget all that and be friends. I'll forget my stereotyping of you guys if you'll forget my rude assumptions."

"I'd like that."

"Cool."

"So, uh, you've known Lili a long time?"

"Yeah, since third grade actually."

"Wow."

"Yeah, we've been friends a while now."

"And you two have really never dated or anything?"

"No..."

"You sure about that?"

"Yeah, well, for a long time I liked her. A lot. But she never noticed. She assumed that when I asked her to dances and stuff, it was friendly."

"That sucks."

"It didn't really bother me at the time."

"That would have driven me crazy. Lili's so clueless about stuff like that. She assumes nobody would ever like her as more than a friend... If that. It frustrates me that she doesn't see herself the way others do."

"There's nothing about her not to like."

"Exactly. She's just having a hard time seeing that, I guess."

"Girls are so complicated."

"Agreed."

*•*•*

"Lili," someone says. I brush it off in my subconscious. "Lili, we're here." None of the words actually make it to my mind. "She's dead as a rock... Not literally. You know what I mean."

"Here, I can get her up."

"No, Drew, step away from the girl."

"I've got it, I've got it, don't worry."

Someone shakes my arm. I slap it away, turning to face the other way.

"Lili, you stubborn fool, wake up and greet your besties."

Someone please tell whoever's bothering me to go away.

"You know what? I'm gonna do this the hard way."

I feel something cold and wet slapped onto my face. I sit up immediately, eyes wide. My shirt is soaked through with snow, and my face is freezing. Drew and Danny stand in front of the car door, laughing.

I glare at them, gathering the snow on me and chucking it as hard as I can at Drew. It hire him square in the face and I smirk in victory.

Then I get out of the car, stretching my arms above my head. The cold air is something I haven't felt in a while, and it's already getting to me. I wrap my arms around myself, looking up at the darkening sky.

"Come here, Lili," Drew says, arms open. He walks over, and I throw my arms around him. His voice muffled by my hair, he says, "It's good to finally see you."

"I know, it's been too long," I say.

As soon as I'm released from Drew, Danny walks over and hugs me as well. I let out a laugh as he accidentally inhales a strand of my hair and tosses it away, over my shoulder.

"Nice to see you again."

"You too."

Then I grab my heavy suitcases, and begin towards the cabin. The place has no other cabins in sight. It's surrounded by snow covered pine trees. The cabin itself is a good size, it's got four rooms, a kitchen area, a living area, and a bathroom. Out back, there's a hot tub. My mom did well.

Before I can head up the stairs with my luggage, Danny stops me.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," he says. "I can take those."

I almost laugh. "Thanks, but I can manage."

In reply, he takes them from my hands and walks up the steps with them in tow. I let out a sigh and follow.

It's been determined that Drew and Danny will share the room with two beds. Caleb, Brendan, and I will all get our own rooms. Mine's the third door I come to. It's a little room with a dresser and full sized bed. I don't even bother unpacking. I just let Danny drop them by the door and leave it be.

Everyone's gathered in the living room when I come back down. I sit myself down on this big, cozy looking chair and wait to hear what's going to happen next.

"Alright," Danny says. He looks at the phone in his hand. "It's nine thirty... What could we possibly do in this awesome cabin in the woods?"

"I'm up for some hot-tubbing. I don't know about you guys," Drew says with a shrug.

"Sounds like a great first night activity," Brendan nods.

"Everyone in agreement?" Danny asks. Caleb and I nod.

Five minutes later, I'm walking out of my bedroom wearing a navy blue swimsuit and my hair's on top of my head.

The boys are all already all out back, the hot tub open and the lights outside on. I climb in and sit myself beside Brendan. I try and fail to ignore his muscular body and tanned skin. Why does he have to be so good looking? Gosh, I think my face is on fire. My blushing is out of control.

Brendan's arm slides around me and I lean into him easily.

"Oooh, Lili's all red," Drew says with a laugh. "Never seen Brendan's rippling abs, have you?"

If it's even possible, my cheeks get redder. I can feel Brendan laughing beside me. I close my eyes and let out an embarrassed groan.

"It's okay Lili," Brendan says, trying to contain his smile. "I'm not used to my rippling abs either. I practically fall over every time I look in a mirror."

"I'm so glad you guys are back together," Danny says.

"I second that," Drew says, nodding.

Caleb just smiles and nods his head.

"I'm glad too," Brendan says, pressing his lips to my cheek.

"I would hope so," I laugh, turning my head so he kisses my lips.

I hear a few 'aww's. I roll my eyes when I see the looks on their faces.

"Why'd I invite you guys?" I ask. "You're annoying as heck."

"That's why you love us," Danny says with a grin.

"Yeah, yeah."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48M 2.5M 68
|| Available in book stores!! || watty award 2017 winner! || Becca's life takes a thrilling turn when she pretends to date Brett Wells, the most pop...
3.9M 115K 59
* * * Lauren Collins is a good girl. She's responsible and shy but has a tight knit group of friends, excellent grades, and is dating Thomas Clark, a...
10.2K 239 19
"Hi my name is Amelia and this is my life... I was just another ordinary girl before that thing happened:High School. My first day on Riverroad High...
59 1 14
Once a former delinquent, after getting to college Aaron changed completely, becoming the quiet and reserved guy while trying to change and better hi...