The Boy Who Lived

By drarrycuddles

A Drarry Story and a 'soulmate' story. Set in an AU in which Minerva rescues Harry from the Dursley's after b... More

Author's Note
Part One
That lot...
Just Harry
Meeting Draco Malfoy
Brewing Trouble
The Worst Birthday
Life is Never Simple
Aunt Marge's Big Mistake
Marauders at Large
Dementors, Boggarts, and other Monsters...
Haunted Snowballs and Full Moons
Sometimes this Place Breeds Trouble
The Triwizard Tournament
He's Come Back!
Order and Rules
Dictatorship and its Downfall
Houses and Homes
The Incident
Illusions
The Malfoy Mask
A Cautious Allegiance
Unexpected Guests at the Manor
A Spontaneous Assembly
The Final Battle
Immediate Aftermath
Panic
The Wizard Courts
The Muggle Courts
Part 2
April Fools
A Little Bit of Parseltongue
Teddy Training
Hagrid Again
The Boy Who Lived Twice
'The Closet Clam'
FIRE! FIRE!
Breath of Life
A Brief Curiosity Unfolds
Reasons for Rogue Magic
Nightmares
A Suspicious Bargain
Self-Humiliation
Stupid Bloody Letter
Therapy
Who do you Trust?
A Day of Errant Magic
Madame Gide Again
Life Never Goes to Plan
Chudley Cannon's Star Keeper
Operation Triple-F
Tears of Laughter, Tears of Pain
'RON WEASLEY HAS QUIT THE GAME!'
Gaining Approval
Time to go Home
Part 3
House-Elves and Stuff
I'd Like to Stay...
This is Dangerous...
With Immediate Effect
Appeasing House-Elves
Two Experiments
Not Going "Boom!"
Emergency Meeting!
The Gamekeeper and the Librarian
An Ancient and Noble Bloodline
Great-Grandfather Henry
Godric Gryffindor
The Portrait Artist
Behold! The House of Potter
Acceptance and Hope
The Orange Place
Revelations
A Syllabus of Curses
Turmoil
The Goddess Minerva
Calling In Unannounced
The Skin of One's Teeth
The Sword
Appeasing the Ancestors
That Lot!
The Ceremony, of sorts, and some news
Who's Who, According to Luna Lovegood

A Coven of Witches

772 78 21
By drarrycuddles

They approached Godric together, crowding into the gallery around the portrait.

'Ladies!' boomed Godric. 'Should I be scared?'

Narcissa nudged Hermione forward and it seemed the others naturally accepted her as their spokesperson and clan-leader.

'Godric,' she said with a certain no-nonsense tone.

'Ah! I should definitely be scared! This is precisely why I always preferred the company of men...'

'I don't have time for polite preamble,' Hermione said sternly. 'Minerva's life is at stake here...'

'...a formidable and worthy woman...'

'...indeed. We need to borrow your sword,' she said firmly. 'Please,' she added as an afterthought.

'Am I allowed to ask why?'

'Actually, perhaps I should ask where you got the sword in the first place...'

'Ahh, you wish to know the heritage of Caladclere. Of course, the most famous story is that I stole the sword from Ragnuk the First, King of the Goblins, and he was the maker of the sword.' Godric was blushing into his bushy red beard as if embarrassed.

'I have read as much,' Hermione said and eyebrow raised in disapproval.

'Well, the truth of the matter is Ragnuk never made the sword and had no more claim to it than I did. Though I brought it back in line with the original intentions of such a heroic weapon. The sword is, in fact, at least another millennium older than it is now.'

'Perhaps around 200BC?' said Hermione with a quizzical eyebrow.

Narcissa wondered how she even knew these things. Why did she even know these things?

'Ah, you've made the potential connection?'

'Is it the sword?'

'I don't know, possibly, but impossible to determine.'

'And what of the engraving of your name along the blade?'

'Ah! A vanity, I'm afraid, Ms Granger.'

'You wished to claim it fully,' she sighed. 'I'm afraid, Godric. It doesn't actually belong to you then and to return to my original opening gambit, we wish to borrow the sword and would appreciate your cooperation. Cooperation really would make life easier.'

'May I ask why?'

'We need to perform a spell to determine where Minerva might be.'

'And if I didn't oblige?'

'I'm sure we would find a way without your permission. The risk is that it would be far more permanent than you would like.'

'Ah! You are, by yourself as formidable woman, Ms Granger. Even without the veritable coven of witches around you. I admit to being intimidated. Normally, the sword answers the appeal for help by my chosen successors - a true Gryffindor. I think we can say you have surpassed all those categories and probably added a few of your own.' He laid the sword down out of the vision of the frame. 'I suspect you will find the sword in the library. I would very much appreciate it if you return it afterwards. After all, someone of equal worth may require it in the future and these days I consider myself more of a guardian than possessor.'

'Thank you, Godric.'

It was quite a sight to behold as eleven witches and a four-year-old were led out to the large open lawn in the Beaumont Gardens by Hermione Granger carrying a sword.

Even George gulped as they passed and Arthur touched his arm, preventing him from making any funny quips. Now was not a time for that, though George understood that too. Instead, Arthur stepped forward and took Dominque from Fleur's arms.

They heard Andromeda say, 'I hope you not expecting us to dance naked at midnight, Cissa. I don't think I could cope with that at my age.'

Narcissa raised a scathing eyebrow at her sister. 'I'm not Bella,' she sneered. 'Besides, I imagine Hermione has a far better understanding of what we need to do.'

Molly muttered loudly, 'I don't think my boobs would cope with dancing around naked without a bra on... those days are long gone...'

'You make it sound like you once did,' said Pansy.

'You should try everything once...' said Luna dreamily.

'Everything?' asked Hannah.

'Well, most things... and always try to keep it legal...' said Molly firmly.

'You'd scar Victoire for life if you danced round naked now, mum,' joked Angelina.

'She'd scar me for life,' said Ginny.

'I fed you with these breasts, young woman, you should be more grateful. Why do you think they're the shape they are? They were once quite pert, I'll have you know, but seven children later and my figure is ruined...'

'...MUM! I don't want to hear.'

'Let it be a warning to you all,' said Molly but they all knew she wouldn't change it for the world.

'I'm not doing any howling at the moon,' said Pansy.

'Isn't it supposed to be a full moon for that?' asked Luna but Pansy dug her in the ribs with a sharp elbow.

'Thirteen is a rather unwieldy number,' said Hannah.

'We're not doing any dark magic are we?' said Hebe.

'Certainly not,' said Hermione. 'And no dancing or howling and we're definitely keeping all our clothes on.'

When Hermione stopped in the middle of the lawn that flanked the east and south wings of the hall, Luna said. 'No, Hermione. You know this is the wrong place. The aura is all wrong and out of balance. We need to be in the landscaped gardens on the north side, where the statue is.'

'Do you think so?' said Hermione, nonplussed by Luna's interruption.

'I know so,' said Luna. 'Come on everyone.' And Luna led the party around to the north of the hall.

'What statue?' said Audrey. 'Are we worshipping someone like in a paganistic ritual? Of course, that means we ought to have a blood sacrifice. There should definitely be a sacrifice.' The mousey woman looked strangely excited.

'We are not sacrificing anyone or worshipping pagan deities,' said Hermione forcefully and resisting the urge to roll her eyes. She was beginning to wonder if this was a good idea. Perhaps she could do this by herself.

Then she noticed that Talbot Cholmondeley and the Weasley men were following at a reserved distance. Clearly very wary but also very intrigued. She was definitely having second thoughts, apart from this was Minerva and that's why they were all at the Hall - trying to help in some way.

'We could sacrifice Amycus Carrow...' said Angelina. 'Or just his balls, at the very least.'

'What's going on?' asked Victoire.

'We're going to rescue Teddy's granny using the Magic of the Sisters,' said Fleur.

'Me too?'

'Absolutely you too,' said Narcissa. 'You're very important.'

'I don't want to be sacrificed? Aunty Audrey said there was going to be a sacrifice.'

'You're not going to be sacrificed,' said Hermione, glaring at Audrey, who winced. 'Though I will require a strand of hair from each of you.'

'It just sounded a bit daring,' Audrey muttered. 'And I was only thinking a little bit of blood.'

'There will be no blood,' snapped Hermione.

They reached the lawn and Luna said 'there!' pointing to a statue of a woman half engulfed by shrubbery. She was wearing a Roman chiton tunic and winged helmet and carried a vial to represent knowledge and shield to represent war.

'Perfect,' said Hermione. Admittedly, it did feel more suitable.

'Who's she?' said Victoire. 'She looks a bit scary.'

'The goddess Minerva,' said Hermione with a satisfied smile.

'Is Teddy's granny a goddess?'

'Might as well be,' muttered Pansy.

'This is a statue the goddess of wisdom, knowledge, and war,' said Hebe.

'She doesn't look like Teddy's granny.'

'Well, no...'

Draco looked out of the window of his makeshift veterinary surgery when Teddy gasped. Taking Teddy into the surgery had proved a great distraction. He loved the open space that Draco, Abi, and Agatha had created. And he loved looking after the animals. But he was still too young to concentrate for too long, especially when he was distracted by worry about his granny. And now there was a group of women marching across the lawn, including Draco's mother.

'Why's Aunty Mione got a sword?'

Draco really didn't know but somehow found he wasn't at all surprised.

'Vic's with them too. I'm going to see what they're doing,' said Teddy, jumping down off the windowsill where he'd been sitting.

'Wait! How many are there?'

Teddy counted aloud slowly, using an awful lot of fingers and thumbs. 'Fifteen,' he announced.

Draco knew he'd missed twelve and thirteen out. 'Including Victoire? he asked.

'Including Vic.'

'You're not to interrupt,' Draco said sternly, remembering what they had been taught about covens in History of Magic. The Salem Witches and their persecution by Muggles had been one of Professor Binns's more interesting lessons.

'But...' said Teddy.

'No, listen to me, Teddy. This is important. We don't go near. Will you do me a favour? Will you go and find your dad and tell him I want to see him. Urgently. Say I won't take no for an answer.'

As Teddy sped away, Draco finished magically stitching up Angus Wortshire's miniature lop rabbit, Gnasher, who'd had to have an operation after the Wortshires were dealing with yet another nest of kits. Draco sighed as the sweet little rabbit came round; still drowsy from the sleep potion. He missed seeing his patients' owners, especially for rabbits as so very friendly and docile as this. He thought that maybe he'd buy two kits from Mrs Wortshire for Teddy. The little boy had been infatuated. Of course, they'd have to be careful with Hercules around, he was a hunting dog and sometimes instinct was stronger than any training but he thought that Otrera and Iolaus would be okay with the additions. And, as ideal house rabbits, they could be kept in the playroom in a big play run. He'd talk to Harry about it once all this was over.

He took Gnasher to the 'recovery room'. Maybe, he thought, he could consider moving the practice to here. It wasn't as if there was anything stored in the coach house. It would, Draco thought, make a beautiful veterinary surgery if the second carriage room were properly converted into a reception and waiting room. With the added bonus of no rent.

'Who's next,' said Abi. Tilly was helping her, enjoying being involved.

'We're going to take a break.'

They made sure all the animals they had in for the day were secure in their cages and Draco waited outside his new surgery. He sent Agatha, Abi, and Tilly ahead, telling them to stay back unless summoned.

'What's going on, Dray? What's so important?' said Harry as he approached with Neville, Bill, and Hercules. Teddy had already run off. And Blaise joined them too, disturbed from his painting by the commotion.

Harry looked drawn and pale and Draco wondered when he'd last eaten. Knowing Harry, he thought it would be the evening before this all kicked off. He certainly hadn't shaved since that morning.

'Find anything?' Draco asked, stepping close and straightening the collar on his long Auror coat. His fingers glanced lightly over the front of Harry's t-shirt and he worried that Harry was still losing weight.

Harry shook his head and Draco pulled him into a hug. 'Everywhere we've tried has proven to be a dead end. They could be anywhere. The only thing we have is there's a connection to Finch-Fletchley and a potential gathering or new uprising of Death-Eaters. They've been steadily returning to the country though we've intercepted a number of them. Bill found the bank account Triple-F used has been reactivated. There's a probability that Alecto was helping to finance Finch-Fletchley from Europe. We've checked every property that was on the list Justin got hold of, he'd probably passed it on to her. We're still trying to find a link to any existing Death-Eaters that weren't on the list that might be able to provide shelter but searching the whole of the UK seems too extraordinarily overwhelming.'

'I think we're about to find you have some substantial help. Follow me.'

He led them out of the stableyard and into the landscaped garden.

'Why's Hermione carrying a sword?' asked Harry, his hands thrust deep into his coat pockets.

'Why is my daughter amongst them?' said Bill.

'Should I be scared?' asked Neville.

'I don't have the answers but I'm sure we'll find out.'

'Where has that sword even come from?' said Blaise.

'Godric Gryffindor,' said Harry and Neville together.

'How? Why? What's going on?' said Bill.

'A coven meeting,' explained Draco.

'Oh shit!' said Bill. 'Including my daughter.'

'I'd second guess that she's the stand in for Minerva,' said Blaise.

'Da! Uncle Bill!' exclaimed Teddy as he charged into Harry's arms. 'Grandaddy Art says they're going to find Granny Minnie.'

'Well, Champ, it sounds like we'd best stay out of their way,' as he swung Teddy up onto his hip.

'It's not fair that Vic gets to join in.'

'I think they need her for Granny Minnie's sake,' said Draco.

They wandered over to join the other men and Agatha and Abi and several House-Elves who were lounging on the grass by the path down from the north courtyard like they were about to watch an open-air theatre performance.

'We are, ladies, gentlemen, and elves, very privileged. Unless they decide they don't want us here,' said Arthur as he settled himself onto a garden bench with Dominque. 'But it's not often anyone gets to witness a witches' coven gathering.'

'What's that in the middle?' asked Harry.

'A stone plinth.'

'And what is my daughter stood on?' said Bill.

'One of my stone garden urns, upturned,' muttered Harry. 'Carls will kill them.'

'Oh no, sir. I is not daring to harm any of them,' squeaked the nervous House-Elf from near the roses. 'I is just quietly fixing it all when theys is finished. I is putting it all back and no one is noticing a thing.'

'I hope they're not going to put that sword anywhere near Victoire, or I'll hex the lot of them first,' grumbled Bill as he sat down next to his father.

Arthur rested a hand on his eldest son's arm. 'Just watch,' he said calmly.

'Champ,' whispered Harry into Teddy's hair as Draco wrapped his arms around his middle and they huddled close together to spectate. 'We have to stay silent during this. You can ask questions afterwards but we mustn't interrupt.'

'Will they hurt us if we make a noise,' said Teddy worriedly.

'No, but this is very special magic for Granny Minnie. We want it to work so we mustn't interfere.'

'Okay, Da,' said Teddy, dropping him head onto Harry's shoulder. His thumb automatically migrating to his mouth as it sometimes tended to do when he was tired or knew he had to be quiet.

The women seemed to fall naturally into a circle and Hermione stepped forward and laid the golden sword carefully on the plinth in the middle.

She felt a huge responsibility that they'd naturally acquiesced to her knowledge and leadership, expecting her to speak for the coven but she knew what to do. She slowly walked around the perimeter of the circle, stopping first in front of Luna who loosened her hair from its long plait and pulled out a thread of hair and passed it to Hermione. Each woman did the same, including young Victoire who shook away her mother's help and took her role very seriously from where she was stood on her little platform so she was the same height as the others.

Hermione stepped back to the centre of the ring and loosened her own hair, pulling it free before yanking a curling strand to join it with the others.

'Welcome, sisters,' she said. 'Thank you for joining me on this ill-starred day, a day of when we search for one us who is taken against her will.'

She felt a breeze pick up unnaturally around her and rustle amongst the trees above. She almost smiled. Her hair suddenly whipped about her face and she saw she wasn't alone. There should be, she thought, thunder and lightning but she'd prefer there not to be any rain. She knew, as much as her elders, that the only reason witches got naked during coven meetings was because they clearly were completely crap at casting a good umbrella charm. Rain soaking through and dragging down layers of dresses, robes, and cloaks was a bloody bore. She suddenly wondered if they should be wearing robes but decided that clothing type was utterly irrelevant to the magic they were about to perform. Plus, robes felt a bit pompously ceremonial and Death-Eatery and she didn't want to go there, obviously.

'It is most auspicious to meet here in the grotto of Minerva for we call on our mother to grant us help to find her daughter. We ask three requests of you and in return, each offer to you a single strand of our hair, a precious thread of life between mother and daughters. Joined end to end, it reaches through time, offering you life and connection with those who promise you love. Woven into cloth, it will keep you warm and safe. Knitted into a web, it will capture you your heart's desire. Twisted into a rope, it offers you strength and power to hold our love in thy bonds. We offer this, our sacrifice, to Minerva, most precious in our eyes. It is given to you with a promise of love and with no ill-intent. We gift this to you in love.'

'We gift this to you in love,' the others repeated.

Hermione lifted her hand into the air the thirteen hairs in her fingers were picked up by the wind. The hairs turned silver, binding and twisting around each other and as she let them go, they sparkled and disappeared into the air. She turned and walked back to the circle, taking her place. She reached out her hands until she felt Narcissa take her hand on one side and Luna on the other. She felt the power of her sisters connect as the thirteen women joined hands.

'In return for our gift,' she spoke loudly into the wind which was whipping her hair wildly around her face. 'We ask, first, that you protect your daughter, we provide you with this circle of love and ask you place it as a shield around Minerva McGonagall so that none may touch her or harm her in any way. We ask you protect her from those who may wish ill-intent upon her body, mind, or soul. Protect her until we find her and can bring her home safely to those who love her.'

The air shimmered between them and a softening glow of gold grew outwards from the largest ruby on the hilt of the sword and filled the circle until it wrapped each one of them in its warmth. The wind that had steadily picked up around them was expelled to outside the circle before dropping completely.

'Thank you, mother,' Hermione said quietly into the sudden silence that had fallen around them.

'Thank you, mother,' the other witches chanted softly.

'Second, we ask you to give us direction, to help find Minerva McGonagall. We present to you your sword to give us guidance. Point us!'

The sword on the stone plinth trembled and slowly began to rotate, finally stopping as it pointed north-east-east.

'Thank you, mother.'

'Thank you, mother,' they repeated.

The final request was the hardest and Fleur had forewarned young Victoire that it might feel strange but it wouldn't be painful or long lasting.

'We bring before you our youngest member of this coven and one who bares your name, Victoire Athena Weasley. She stands here willingly in the place of our sister. We charge thee use her voice as Minerva's to come forth to us now, so that in this minute we may speak with our lost sister.'

Victoire's eyes rolled back in her head and Fleur and Angelina held her hands firmly though they did not have to fear her falling because she lifted from her upturned urn, levitating inches above her platform.

'Sisters,' she said in a spookily familiar but weak voice. 'The Carrows... the Carrows... They've taken me to a large house, dark and musty, deserted. I don't know where. The room is bare but there are columns that reach the ceiling around the fire place and one of the three chandeliers is missing from above me. I'm tied to a chair, an old oak chair with carved snakes twisting around the legs... I'm tired... And weak...'

'We're coming for you,' shrieked Hermione, aware the connection was weak.

Victoire's head slumped and it was then that she toppled forward with the circle breaking when Angelina caught her.

'Thank you, mother,' muttered Hermione as the golden circle around them broke to chilling silence.

'Indeed,' said Narcissa coldly. 'Because now we know she's been held at Malfoy Manor. You may remember that missing chandelier, Hermione.'

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.9K 1.5K 16
A Drarry Story in which both Harry and Draco are Aurors. Set seven years after the war. All is going well, apart from the two men still don't talk to...
1M 41.3K 34
{Their Family book 1} Harry Potter works as Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts, but while picking Teddy up from the Primary Wizar...
129K 3.8K 10
This is a drarry love story. After a devastatingly cute accident in Transfiguration class, Draco (who's had a crush on Potter since second year) beco...
426K 15K 45
READ THIS!!! [completed] *currently re writing and fixing mistakes that my 11 year old self made* This is a cuteness over load of a baby Draco story...