Scotland

By highlander

Scotland (; Scots: [ˈskɔt.lənd];Scottish Gaelic: Alba [ˈal̪ˠapə]) is a country that is part of the United Kin... More

Scotland
History
Roman Influence
Medieval Period
Early Modern Era
19th century
Early 20th century
Government and Politics
Constitutional Changes
administrative subdivisions
Law and criminal justice
Geography and natural history
Geology and geomorphology
Climate
Flora And Fauna
Economy and infrastructure
Currency And Transport
Demographics
Education
Religion
Health Care
Military
Culture
Sport
National Symbols

Since 1945

46 2 0
By highlander

After 1945, Scotland's economic situation became progressively worse due to overseas competition, inefficient industry, and industrial disputes. Only in recent decades has the country enjoyed something of a cultural and economic renaissance. Economic factors contributing to this recovery include a resurgent financial services industry, electronics manufacturing, (see Silicon Glen), and the North Sea oil and gas industry. The introduction in 1989 by Margaret Thatcher's government of the Community Charge (widely known as the Poll Tax) one year before the rest of the United Kingdom, contributed to a growing movement for a return to direct Scottish control over domestic affairs. Following a referendum on devolution proposals in 1997, the Scotland Act 1998 was passed by the United Kingdom Parliament to establish a devolved Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government with responsibility for most laws specific to Scotland.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 5.9K 28
Countryhuman x Reader! You a high school senior almost out of school. One day at a diner with your friend you see something you didn't think was real...
3K 80 27
This is cringe. Pls leave if you don't want cringe;-; °∆Π Malaysia a.k.a Malay is a countryhuman with a sad backstory,just like every other country...
295 72 42
Short stories about historical facts.
1.7K 44 22
My first book, I'm kinda experimenting around. I'm not making a serious story or anything, if you're gonna read this you can. Warning: may include so...