The Bird's Fall

By SplashyIcy

Reedkit, son of Mistshade and Tawnyclaw, seems like a feeble tom who would just fade into the background. But... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty Two

8 0 0
By SplashyIcy

"Reedsky, Snowheart, Roseleap, and Orangefeather, you can go and patrol the ShadowClan border," meowed Sparrowheart.

"Oh, please, can't I go too?" volunteered Sundawn eagerly.

Sparrowheart eyed his sister suspiciously. "No."

"Sparrowheart!" pleaded Sundawn, biting her lip.

"Why are you so eager?"

"I want to help my Clan, of course!" recited the golden she-cat.

"Let her go. She can fill my place. It's pleasing to see such an enthusiastic warrior. I'm not very comfortable with younger cats, anyway," Snowheart called.

Sparrowheart frowned, but dipped his head. "Very well. You can go, Sundawn."

The long-furred golden she-cat brightened almost immediately. Her dark amber eyes shone like her fluffy fur in the sunlight. "Thanks, Sparrowheart and Snowheart!" she exclaimed, and skipped towards where Reedsky, Roseleap, and Orangefeather were gathered. "The ShadowClan border, you say? Let's go."

Giving a huge purr, Sundawn took the lead.

"She's strange today," mewed Roseleap softly. "Come on, Snowypaw! We're going on patrol!"

A snowy-white she-cat peeked out of the apprentices' den. Her pale green eyes red and puffy, she lowered her head and padded to her mentor.

"Is she all right?"

"She's fine when she's learning, but suddenly she droops and is gloomy for the rest of the day. I think Snowypaw's ashamed that she's happy."

"It's been a week, though."

"Oh, Reedsky." And then Roseleap stared at Reedsky with a look that had a mentor's scolding inside them. Mentoring Snowypaw changed Roseleap.

"I'm here. Where are we going?" Snowypaw rasped.

"Patrolling the ShadowClan border."

Snowypaw nodded slightly, and when Roseleap began forward, she began to follow lifelessly.

Reedsky was worried about Snowypaw. What if she never recovered?

He was forced to stop his worries when Snowypaw spoke to him in a low, grief-stricken voice. "I'm happy. I'm happy I'm an apprentice. I'm happy Roseleap's my mentor. I'm happy. Is that wrong? It seems so wrong, when Eagleshade's dead and can't enjoy life anymore."

It took some time before Reedsky realized she was talking to him. "Oh... Well, Snowypaw, you know I knew him when your father was an apprentice? I was a kit then, but I knew he was adventurous and happy, just like you now. He's lived a life. I know it wasn't full, but still, he did. Don't sacrifice your life out there because of guilt that you're living but he's not. It's your turn to live your life."

Snowypaw hesitated. "But it feels so wrong. I want to grieve for him. But... they move on so easily. It's hard to linger," she mewed quietly. "The Clan's acting like nothing happened. Sparrowheart's filling his place, Silverstar's better now, and everyone's okay. They act just like before my father's death."

"Maybe you should try that, too," suggested Reedsky.

Snowypaw scowled. "It's not as simple as that," she insisted. "He's my father. I... You wouldn't know. But he was my father."

Reedsky flinched.

"He was my father. I loved him. He was there for me."

How could you say that, Snowypaw? I'm here for you now.

"How could he die? How could he leave me?" Snowypaw's voice broke. "Splashypaw seems fine, too. I just..."

Hearing Snowypaw talk like that, Reedsky knew he couldn't stay cross. "I would know. I understand. I can imagine how you feel right now. I know how you felt." Reedsky hoped Snowypaw didn't notice how much he tried to justify Tawnyclaw and his relationship.

It's better now, anyway.

Snowypaw blinked. "Yeah, I'm sorry," she mumbled. "I... Thank you for listening." She dipped her head and quickened her pace.

Reedsky followed, thinking about Sparrowheart and Eagleshade. So Sparrowheart killed his friend because... maybe Eagleshade caught him, or maybe because he wanted to be deputy.

What if he kills me, too?

"Quicken up, Reedsky!" called Roseleap. "And slow down, Sundawn!"

Sundawn looked back sheepishly. "Sorry. I like patrols."

"You like ShadowClan patrols," corrected the dark ginger she-cat, rolling her pale blue eyes. "I have no idea why.

Sundawn winced, but shrugged like she didn't care. "I'm just trying to do my best," she protested.

"Yeah, I know," Roseleap murmured. She glanced at Snowypaw. "Snowypaw, come on. Scent markers."

Snowypaw nodded and trailed after her mentor. "Coming!" she called. She glanced at the border and mewed fearfully, "There are a pair of eyes in the shadows."

Roseleap sniffed doubtfully. "Really?"

But when Roseleap turned her head she stifled a gasp, and so did Reedsky. There were a pair of eyes. A pair of bright amber eyes staring at them from the darkness.

"Who's there?" Roseleap called out.

Sundawn whipped her head back and stared at those amber eyes warily. "Come out," she ordered.

A small pale ginger she-cat stepped out of the shadows, her large amber eyes full of fear. Her brown-tipped tail twitched anxiously as she gazed at the patrol, but she didn't say anything.

"Who are you?" asked Roseleap.

Snowypaw inched forward and sniffed the newcomer. "She's barely older than me!" she mewed.

The ginger she-cat blinked. "I'm Amber," she mewed softly.

"Where are your parents?" questioned Sundawn tenderly.

"I lost my mothers."

"Mothers?" Roseleap's ears pricked. "What do you mean?"

Mothers? Can a cat have more than one mother? wondered Reedsky.

"Yes. I lost them while I tried hunting by myself. Help me." Amber looked up at them, her gaze full of pleading.

"What are their names?" asked Roseleap.

"Daisy, Breeze, and Cherry," answered Amber.

Reedsky blinked. Those names sounded familiar.

"Three she-cats had you?" asked Snowypaw. "I don't understand."

Amber bit her lip, looking confused. "I always had three mothers," she answered. "Daisy was my birth mother, if that's what you mean."

"So Cherry and Breeze aren't your real mothers," concluded Sundawn.

"No!" Amber's eyes flared. "They are."

"Biological," corrected Sundawn hastily. "Right?" When Amber nodded, she continued. "Are they the Sisters?"

The Sisters! They were a nursery tale; a mysterious group of she-cats. They didn't let toms stay, only she-cats. Was it possible Amber was a part of the group?

Amber shook her head. "I don't think we called us that way. Care to elaborate?"

"The Sisters are a group of she-cats. They don't let toms stay," meowed Reedsky helpfully.

"Since you don't know your father, maybe you are," suggested Snowypaw.

Amber shook her head. "No, then. I don't know my father, but that's because my father left, or died. We don't know. But one thing's for sure, that we don't make toms leave."

"Oh, okay," mewed Snowypaw. She blinked. "I like your name."

Amber smiled shyly. "Thank you. What's yours?"

"Snowypaw."

Amber's jaws fell. "What... a peculiar name," she murmured. "Snowypaw? Not just Snowy?"

"Snowypaw," replied the snowy apprentice indignantly. "And I'll get my warrior name – moons later, but still."

"Warrior name?" questioned Amber, still sounding baffled.

"Yes! Like Reedsky's. He was Reedpaw before, but now he's Reedsky now. And Roseleap. She was Rosepaw once but now she's Roseleap," Snowypaw explained enthusiastically. "Aren't I right?"

"She is," chimed in Roseleap.

Amber's eyes gleamed interestedly. "Wow," she breathed.

Sundawn blinked at the rest of her patrol. "So what will we do with her? She was on our side of the border."

Orangefeather nodded. "I think we should bring her to Silverstar and let her decide."

Amber blinked at them. "You'll do what?" she asked. "But I need to get back to my family!"

"I'm sorry, but we can't break the warrior code for you," meowed Orangefeather sternly.

Amber bit her lip. "Really?" She gazed at Sundawn. "The... warrior code?"

Sundawn shifted and didn't reply.

"Orangefeather's right," decided Roseleap. "We'll have to take you."

"But you'll help me find them, right?"

"We should," Reedsky interrupted. "Silverstar will probably just tell her off."

Roseleap nodded. "You're right. But still we should."

"Why? If you're sure she will, just let me go."

"I'm sorry, but it's too risky. I don't think this is a good time to break the code, anyway," meowed Orangefeather. "There's a crisis among us."

"I'll take her back," volunteered Roseleap.

Snowypaw cocked her head. "I could," she suggested.

"You need the experience," answered Roseleap. "You can patrol with Sundawn, Reedsky, and Orangefeather. Come on, Amber. I'll escort you to camp. Don't worry, you'll like it!"

Amber nervously followed Roseleap. She looked relieved that Orangefeather wasn't chosen to go with her.

"With that all settled," Sundawn meowed, "we can continue the patrol. Snowypaw, you know the scent markers."

Snowypaw nodded nervously. "Yes!" She padded closer to the border, sniffing and frowning. "They smell stinky every time," she grumbled, and with that she began to mark the borders.

"Sure they do," laughed Orangefeather. "They're ShadowClan!"

Sundawn shifted. "Since we might be short of prey," she started, "I might hunt."

"It's a border patrol," meowed Reedsky doubtfully. "We'll be late."

"It's just a moment," insisted Sundawn. "It's leaf-bare, anyway. We just don't know because the weather is generous this year."

"If you say so," meowed Orangefeather. "Everyone's content with it, right? Sundawn is just helping, after all."

"Sure," Reedsky replied. "Thanks, Sundawn." He was still suspicious why Sundawn was so eager to go to the ShadowClan border, but had decided against spying on her.

"Is that a ShadowClan scent?" meowed Snowypaw abruptly. Her nose wrinkled, and she frowned. "I think it's too close to our border. I think they crossed it!"

Orangefeather's eyes flashed in alarm. "Really? Where?"

"Right here," Snowypaw meowed in reply, prodding at the place with her snowy paw.

Orangefeather took a sniff. "I'm not so sure. We haven't renewed it in a long time. Hey, Reedsky, take a sniff."

Reedsky blinked, after scenting it. "It's strange," he started slowly. "Our scents and theirs are mingled together."

"We shouldn't have let Sundawn go so quickly. She's one of our best trackers."

"That's true. But even with Sundawn I don't think it would've gone too fluently. We'll just mark this part especially strongly and perhaps, if they did cross it, those ShadowClan warriors will know not to do it again. Even if they didn't, it's a good sign of proving we're still strong," meowed Reedsky. "What do you think?"

"Whoa," mewed Snowypaw. "That's a great idea. I'll start right away."

"Are you sure? We might be letting them go scot-free."

"We can't accuse random cats, though," argued Reedsky. "It's best to do this this way."

"I think so, too," piped up Snowypaw. "Roseleap told me never to rush into your decisions. You must always double-check your information before you accuse anyone or tell the authorities about your suspicions. That can easily lead to battles and perhaps war." It was like the snowy-white she-cat was reciting the words Roseleap and lectured to her. Her pale eyes were all over the place as she struggled to remember her mentor's every word.

Orangefeather nodded. "You two are right." He heaved, looking slightly disappointed that no action took place. "I'm just itching for some fights. It's been moons since there was a proper one."

"You should be thankful."

"Still, that's what we've trained for." After a moment's thought, Orangefeather meowed, "Finish marking the borders. Your new scent will prove that we have fresh paws by us."

Snowypaw beamed. "Okay!"

After the white apprentice had stepped away, her gray ears twitching and tail tipped-with-gray flicking with satisfaction, Orangefeather and Reedsky checked if she'd done it properly and nodded.

"Good."

The pretty she-apprentice brightened immediately. Her expression reminded Reedsky of Lynxfoot when she was a young warrior. "Thank you!" she chirped.

Orangefeather smiled, and mewed, "We should go back now."

Snowypaw blinked. "Is it done?" she asked, in a disappointed tone. "I didn't think it would end so quickly."

The orange tom nodded kindly. "Occasionally we spot some strange scents within the border and report to Silverstar or challenge them if they're still there. Like how we handled Amber today."

"Amber didn't seem much like a challenge," mumbled Snowypaw, shifting her paws embarrassedly. "I guess I should be happy nothing has happened."

"It's all right," Reedsky mewed. "Everyone likes adventures."

Orangefeather rolled his eyes. "Not me."

"You're a strange one, then," Reedsky laughed.

It felt good to laugh among those whom he could trust and who trusted him.

"Everyone thinks I'm a good cat to tease," complained Orangefeather, sounding amused. "Well, then. There's nothing else to see or scent. Let's go back."

"I wouldn't want to miss what's happened with Amber!" chimed in Snowypaw. "Hey, do you know if Sparrowheart will be taking Splashypaw out? I want to see her train with me."

"He's busy, since he's the new deputy, but I'm sure he'll get to his apprentice," Orangefeather meowed confidently. "Although I'm concerned that the older warriors will try to challenge him, saying he'll have no experience involving taking charge. Still, Sparrowheart was always taking charge. He has no problem organizing stuff."

Snowypaw frowned. "No one has the right to challenge Sparrowheart. He's just busy! If he trained Splashypaw he'd face complaints that he's not taking his deputy duties seriously. They're not giving him much of a choice, are they?"

"You're right. But warriors are always stuffy, and they forever will be."

"Not me," mimicked Reedsky, snickering.

"I thought you were compassionate and loyal, Reedsky. Where's your loyalty for your friend?" muttered Orangefeather. "Well, we'd better get going now."

Snowypaw and Reedsky both nodded, and they followed the orange tom back to RiverClan camp.

Maybe Sparrowheart will cool down.

"Oh! I forgot to ask. I've been dying to. Splashfall told me about the Silverrocks. She said that was in the border which bordered SkyClan and the Dark Forest. She told me the Silverrocks gleam silver because of the moonlight coming from the StarClan side! At every blue moon, the Silverrocks shift to make way, to make a passageway through the two opposite places. But only one who deserves to see sees the change... So, is it true?"

"Who knows?" asked Reedsky softly, stopping and staring up at the sky.

It was bright morning when they had left. The sun was already almost up to its peak. Were there Silverrocks up there, bordering the Light and Dark?

"We'll never know until we die."

Snowypaw followed Reedsky's gaze and gazed at the sky. "I wish there were. Splashfall said it symbolized a chance for redemption."

Redemption. Perhaps Sparrowheart will spot the Silverrocks' shift one day and given a redemption. Perhaps one day, he will learn to feel guilty for what he's done. Then Reedsky remembered Eagleshade's hard corpse and shivered. But not today. Not on this life, I'm sure. He's gone too far. He's not feeling any remorse. Normally, fear had brought no companion. But it seemed now that fear had felt lonely. It was carrying a drop of justice.

When the patrol entered camp, they could see Silverstar exiting her den, followed closely and anxiously by Amber.

"Have they been talking all this time?" hissed Reedsky.

"It's been an awfully long time," agreed Orangefeather. "It's strange. Perhaps she'll care to explain."

Roseleap beckoned Snowypaw to her, and, waving her tail in farewell, Snowypaw bounded to her mentor.

"Let all cats old enough to swim gather to hear my words!" Silverstar's cry echoed around camp, and slowly cats began to gather around, muttering about what could possibly have happened.

"It's obviously bad times," Rushwater was groaning to Fernshine. "The leader calling Clan meetings more than thrice in a moon! You know this never happened before."

"That's true. But listen. Maybe it's good news. See that there's a young cat, apprentice-aged, by her side."

"Hmph! It's no good if she's a rogue," croaked Rushwater.

Reedsky turned to see a pale gray tabby she-cat with white tom with gray markings by her side. "Hi, Reedsky," Rainingsky whispered, her dark cornflower-blue eyes gleaming. "I'm feeling so much better now. Ottersnow says I'll be able to live the normal life of a warrior." She straightened. "I hope Sorrelfrost and Acornsquirrel recovers."

"They will," murmured Dewheart, and Rainingsky grinned.

"Cats of RiverClan!" shouted Silverstar over the whispers of her Clan. She jumped onto a willow tree stump by her den. "Reedsky, Orangefeather, Roseleap, Snowypaw, and Sundawn found a rogue she-cat when they were out on patrol." Her gaze swept across the clearing. "She has lost her group and I decided with Sparrowheart, that she will stay in our Clan until we find her mother."

Amber's ear twitched. Reedsky noticed her mouthing mothers.

"A rogue?" called out Flamepetal, narrowing her eyes. "How do we know she's safe? Maybe she's plotting against us."

"Flamepetal," snapped Slatefoot. "She's only a young cat."

"She could be working with those rogues, though," chimed in Swiftclaw.

"You're too suspicious," chided Windfeather, frowning slightly.

"Silence!" called Silverstar. "Are there any objections?"

Flamepetal and Swiftclaw both hesitated. "Just don't," murmured Whitepetal, and Flamepetal nodded.

"All right. Do you think this is right?"

"We're providing shelter for the weak. Of course it is."

"What if she betrays us?" hissed Leafsplash, her gray ears twitching rapidly.

"We're figure that out later," answered Whitepetal. "Do you honestly want to kick out her just because of your suspicions that hold no ground?"

The flame-colored she-cat grunted in reply and looked away, while Swiftclaw shook her dark tabby pelt. "I don't like her," she muttered. "I hate rogues."

Leafsplash rolled her eyes. "That went a bit too far, don't you think? There have been kind rogues."

"Most of them were trying to kill us and take over our land."

"Not all of them."

Reedsky let Leafsplash and Swiftclaw argue about rogues, and stared up at Amber. The pale ginger she-cat was squirming uncomfortably. Silverstar murmured something in her ear, and Amber looked around nervously. She hopped down from the willow stump and padded timidly towards Snowypaw.

The snowy apprentice was talking with Roseleap. "You can't say that!" Roseleap was scolding. "That's rude."

"But they're talking about her without knowing her properly," retorted Snowypaw furiously. "Oh, do let me go and snap something at Swiftclaw."

"She's your senior warrior," snapped Roseleap. "I appreciate you trying to defend your friend, but that's a bad way to... oh! Hi, Amber."

Snowypaw cringed. "Did you hear?"

Amber blinked. "Yes. Why?"

"I... No, never mind," muttered Snowypaw, her white cheeks reddening.

The pale ginger she-cat shifted her paws. "Silverstar advised me to talk to you. I've got no one in this Clan, you know that.'

Snowypaw smiled at her. "Sure. Do you want to see my sister? Her name's Splashypaw and she's the best."

Amber shook her head. "No, I... I really don't."

"Well, if you say so," shrugged Snowypaw. "How old are you, exactly?"

"I'm seven and a half moons old," answered the pale she-cat. "I might be older, I don't really keep track."

Snowypaw gaped at her. "You're older than us! I think you're Featherpaw and Stonepaw's age."

Amber gave a small laugh. "Who's your mother?" She glanced at Roseleap, and Roseleap shook her head.

"No way. I'm her mentor."

"What does that mean?"

"It means I teach her things," the dark ginger she-cat answered.

Amber nodded. "Is it nice? Learning stuff and teaching stuff?"

"Sure it is!" interrupted Snowypaw. "Roseleap's the best mentor."

The pale ginger rogue shuffled her paws. "Can you show me what you learn?"

Snowypaw glanced at Roseleap. "Can I?" she asked.

"Why not?"

"Okay, look at me, Amber. Stand in front of me. Yeah, yeah, like that, good. I'll attack you. Try to defend yourself. Do you consider yourself a good fighter?"

Amber opened her mouth to reply, but then her mouth turned upwards into a beginning of a smile and she answered slyly, "I won't tell me."

Snowypaw puffed out her chest. "Then I'll go hard on you."

The pale ginger she-cat fluffed out her fur warily. Her fur began to stand up as her snowy opponent began to circle her, hissing. Snowypaw started to bristle, making her twice her usual size. It was an attempt to scare Amber, but it didn't work so easily. Amber tried to smirk.

Snowypaw frowned. She closed her eyes for a second, and Amber's eyes sparked. Reedsky wanted to cry out. It's dangerous!

But at that very second Snowypaw sprang for Amber. Her paws outstretched, she gripped at Amber's pale pelt and pushed down on her, panting slightly. "Surrender!" she gasped.

Amber was tense for a while, then she relaxed, blinking with fear.

Snowypaw smiled with satisfaction, and began to climb down from Amber, saying, "See, it's easy if you–" Her words ended in a yowl as Amber crashed down on her. Her paws and legs flailed desperately, trying to get away and startle Amber. She let out a furious yowl. When it didn't work, she let out a wail, sniffing. Snowypaw stopped rolling for a second and started breathing hard. "I'm sorry!" she shrieked. "Ow, ow, you're standing on my limb! I surrender! Just please let me live!"

Reedsky could see through Snowypaw's rather lame trick, but Amber seemed to fall for it immediately. Her amber eyes rounding with sympathy, Amber stepped of her. "I'm sorry–"

Snowypaw leapt to the air. Her paw pushed Amber down and she had her claws at Amber's throat. "Surrender," she snarled menacingly.

"Did you keep your claws sheathed?" asked Roseleap.

"Yes," breathed Snowypaw, not daring to take her eyes off Amber. "I told you, surrender!"

"I surrender!" Amber laughed. "Really."

Snowypaw grinned and stepped off Amber and backed away some distance. "I'm keeping my eye on you, though," she joked.

Amber gazed at her wistfully. "Do you do this every day?" she asked.

Snowypaw nodded. "Yes! Well, so far."

Roseleap purred. "We'll swim tomorrow," she suggested.

"Oh, yes!" Snowypaw exclaimed. "Can Amber join us?"

"If she wants," replied Roseleap. She cocked her head at Amber. "What do you think?"

Amber opened her mouth and closed it. "Of course!" she gasped out. "It'll be wonderful – thank you so much!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.7K 815 36
Skykit is chased away from her clan by her murderous father. She joins Lightclan and is twisted into a deadly prophecy that might mean the end of her...
2.4K 237 39
Shunned by his mother, Hawkkit is dropped in the middle of the woods by his own family. But maybe it was for the best.. as he meets Sky, the leader o...
28.2K 561 21
This is the story of a Clan called MapleClan. MapleClan is not like any of the other Clans in the forest - they do not treat she-cats the way that th...
1.1K 19 17
Sandstrike is considered a hero among ShadowClan. He has an amazing mother, sisters who love him, a beautiful and loving mate, and a determined son...