What's at Stake

By JordanLynde

After failing as a vampire hunter, 17-year-old Cleo is sent to an academy full of vampires as a false peace t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
BONUS: Kaz vs. Felix Vs. One Bed Trope
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Author's Note

Chapter Forty

6.5K 502 556
By JordanLynde

"Cleo, wake up," a soft voice urged.

My body protested as I came back into consciousness at the feeling of someone gently patting my cheek. "Felix...?"

"We're back."

I shot up with a gasp, realizing I was on the ground outside underneath a tree, and then groaned as my side burned ferociously. "Ow, ugh." Even my neck hurt as I took in my surroundings, my heart racing in my chest. We were outside the library. The moonlight cast a soft glow on the bricks, the sight so familiar, I almost got choked up. Somehow, we'd made it back. Alive.

Felix held his chest, a pained expression on his face. "We should get inside before anyone notices us. Can you walk, Cleo?"

I planted a hand on the dewy grass, being careful of my injured one, and managed to push myself up to my feet. Where I'd been stabbed hurt bad enough to make me lose my breath for a moment. I lifted up my shirt to check on the wound on my side, surprised to see it wrapped in a torn-up shirt.

"I did what I could while we were in the car, but you'll need to get medical attention," Sura said, answering my unasked question.

"Thank you," I said, doing my best to smile. "We should get you to Claude..."

Anxiety shot through me. Claude. My sister had come after him. The silence of the night led me to believe no one had attacked him— surely if they had the guards would be swarming if someone had. But that thought didn't lessen my panic. I had to see him with my own eyes. I had to make sure Kieran hadn't come. I had to make sure she wouldn't do that, that it wasn't too late for her.

Besides, Claude could protect himself. He had the Sway.

"Come on," I said, wincing as I headed toward the back entrance of the library.

"Wait, Cleo, take this," Felix said, handing me a dagger.

I looked down at it. "Where did you find this?"

"Your father's car."

I flipped the dagger over in my palm, frowning. It looked familiar for some reason. The embellishment and silver blade. Where had I seen it before?

I tested the door, feeling both fortunate as it swung open, and terrified. Why was it unlocked? I exchanged looks with Felix and Felix tried to brush by me but I held out my arm. "Wait. You stay back and protect Sura."

His eyes narrowed. "You're more important to me."

"Felix, please."

"...Fine. But I'm only standing behind by ten feet. That's it."

I'd take it. That was a decent span of space if they had to turn back and run. I hurried down the hall straight for the hidden common room, the pain in my side forgotten, replaced by concern for Claude. When I reached the door, I relaxed a little more. Closed. No sign of forced entry. All was quiet on the inside.

I carefully kneeled down to find the key Kaz had hidden for me. My fingers touched the metal, and I unlocked the door, opening it quietly. I motioned for Felix and Sura to wait a moment, and then walked in.

Again, there was no sign of disruption. The lights were off, the fire was out. Claude was probably sleeping soundly in his bed. Or maybe not he wasn't even in his room. Would he have tried looking for me once he realized I was missing? Would Kaz have made him move somewhere else? Somewhere safer?

That made the most sense. I headed to Claude's bedroom just to reassure myself more. The bathroom also showed no signs of anyone breaking in. Everything in place, both Claude's door and mine shut tight.

I lifted my hand to knock and then stopped, deciding to go for the handle instead.

A loud crash came from behind the door the second my hand touched the handle. My body acted on instinct. I yanked the door open and rushed in, my hand going for the light switch on the wall as I noticed the room was cloaked in darkness, the downside to having no windows.

And as light flooded it, my breath caught in my throat.

A figure kneeled above Claude on his bed, dressed in all black, long black hair cascading down their back, going still as the light caught them.

My knees went weak. "A-Adora? What...?"

Before I could even take a step toward them, the figure brought their hands down hard, and it was only then I realized they held a weapon.

"No!" I shouted, but it was too late.

Claude's body jolted, and a strangled gasp left his lips. Adora pulled another dagger out from a holster on her thigh and threw it straight at me as she climbed off Claude. I deflected it with the dagger Felix had given me, sending it clattering to the ground, trying to close the space between us. She produced another, launching herself at me, red eyes visible through the only part of her face not wrapped up by black fabric.

The sight made me hesitate a second too long. As I brought my dagger up to parry her attack, I didn't get enough force, the weapon slipping from my hand, already at a disadvantage from being my less dominant one. She brought the handle of her blade straight into my neck, making me cough and fall to the side.

A kick to my injured side had me sprawling on the ground. My cheek hit the wood floor with a loud slap!, the dagger I'd deflected moments entering my new line of vision. I reached out for it, gritting my teeth as Adora stomped down on my wrist.

"You should have stayed out of it, Cleo."

My hand halted, my eyes still on the dagger. I recognized it now. It was the same style as the one the intruder had thrown at me the time I'd chased them down in the forest. The same as the one Felix found in the car. The one in the cell. How had I not realized it sooner?

I threw my hands in front of me in defense. "Kieran, don't—"

Before Kieran could strike me, the weight of the world shifted. My arms fell back to my sides with such pressure I thought they broke. Kieran lurched forward, her head snapping down, eyes screwed shut, a muffled grunt coming from behind the mask.

I lay pinned to the floor from the pressure of the Sway, unable to even lift a finger, barely able to breathe. How was Kieran able to stand?

A second later, the Sway was gone. Kieran straightened out, eyes darting to the door. Before could make a break for it, I hoisted myself up, grabbing her legs. "Stop!"

She tried to kick herself free and I reached up and snatched the black wig off her head, needing to be sure. It came off and Kieran's short brown hair appeared. Even though I expected it, my heart sunk.

In one vicious kick to my neck, I released her, choking. She only made it one step before Felix appeared in the doorway, blocking her escape. Her hands clenched at her sides and I numbly pushed myself to my feet. "Kieran. Wait."

I spared a glance at Claude, who was slumped against the side of his bed, clenching his shoulder, head lolling back. My pulse raced. What had she done to him? Why had the Sway stopped working?

"What did you do to him?" I asked Kieran.

Kieran whipped around, grabbing me by the front of my shirt, the red contacts making her look fiercer than usual. "What you should have done a long time, Cleo. I tried to warn you. I told you father would kill you instead."

"You don't need to do this—"

"Shut up, Cleo," she snapped. "Shut up. You chose them over your family. I didn't want to believe it, but it's true. If killing him is what it takes to get you to come back, I'll kill him."

I wrapped my hands around her wrists, trying to pry them off me, shaking my head. "No. You're wrong Kieran. Killing him won't solve anything. It's our father who's doing this. He's the one who is wrong. He's trying to start a war by using us as fodder."

"These vampires deserve to die."

"Kieran, no," I said, my heart skipping a beat. "They don't. Just calm down. He's brainwashed us. It's not too late for you to—"

"I'm not talking with monsters," she spat. "I'll rip them limb from limb for what they've done to our family."

My eyes widened, but before I could respond, she shoved me back, sending me crashing backward. My head ricocheted off the wall, making my vision spin. I threw out my hands, trying to keep from falling to the floor.

"And so, your true nature is revealed," Felix said, advancing on Kieran, a cold smile on his face.

Kieran adjusted her footing— getting prepared to attack. "You should have died back then."

Felix leaned down and picked up one of the discarded daggers, examining the sharpness of the blade. "Don't blame your failure on me."

Kieran gripped her dagger tighter. "Since you're presenting yourself to me, I won't fail again. I'm not the same as I was back then."

My muscles refused to move. What was she talking about?

"Neither am I," Felix said lightly. "I'm not a scared, helpless child anymore. And I'll get my revenge."

"Then get it," she said, an edge to her voice.

"I'll slaughter you the same way you slaughtered my family."

What...?

Felix dove forward, bringing his dagger straight down at Kieran. My voice died in my throat as I tried to tell him to stop, shock seeping through me. What did he mean? Kieran slaughtered his family? How was that possible?

It didn't matter right now. I needed to stop them. The clang of metal filled the room, their steps echoing, their grunts crossing each other. They moved too fast, too clean. With too much intent to kill. Each slash of blade ripped skin, clothing, hair.

Kieran managed to sink her blade into Felix's shoulder, but Felix didn't even react, swiping at her and cutting a deep gash in her forearm as she lifted it to protect her neck.

"Wait," I said, raising my voice, panic flaring through me. They would kill each other. One of them would die if they continued this. "Stop!"

They ignored me, Kieran throwing a kick into Felix's gut, so close to the place where I stabbed him. His face contorted in pain, and Kieran managed to sink her dagger into his arm.

I started forward, needing to stop them.

"Stay where you are," Felix barked at me, blocking another attack from Kieran.

I stopped, but only because the tone of his voice startled me.

He suddenly threw his dagger to the side, grabbing Kieran by the throat, throwing her to the ground roughly. She hit it hard, the air leaving her lungs, and Felix climbed on top of her, pinning her down. His hands went to her throat, squeezing it tightly. She kicked her legs out, digging her nails into his skin, trying to get him to release her.

Her choking noises rang through my ears and I forced myself to move, crossing the room to them, pulling on Felix's shoulders. "Felix! Stop it! Stop! You're going to kill her!"

He ignored me, pressing his thumbs harder into her throat and she struggled to get a breath in, eyes wide.

"Felix, stop it, stop!" I cried, grabbing his arms instead, realizing he wouldn't budge. "Please! Stop!"

Felix let go of Kieran with one hand, shoving me back. "Stay out of this, Cleo!"

Kieran used his distraction to her advantage, hand enclosing around her dagger again, sinking it into Felix's thigh.

"Kieran, no, stop!"

Felix brought his fist into Kieran's face, making her head snap to the side. He didn't stop there, grabbing her by the hair, and smashing her head back onto the ground. My legs trembled as I tried to pull Felix off her again, feeling helpless as he beat the shit out of her.

My chest began to heave as blood spilled from Kieran's mouth. I forgot how to breathe. "Please. Stop. Felix, she's my sister. Just wait. Please."

Felix paused, turning his head to look back at me. "Even if she's your sister, it doesn't change the fact she's a murderer."

"But—"

My voice failed as he ripped the dagger from Kieran's hand, holding it above her throat.

"I won't ask for your forgiveness," Felix said.

My stomach dropped. "No!" I screamed as he aimed the dagger at Kieran's throat as her body went limp.

Felix suddenly stopped moving, the tip of the blade inches away from Kieran's skin. His muscles shook with effort— effort to bring the blade down the rest of the way. He gritted his teeth together, letting out a frustrated groan. "Let me go," Felix said angrily.

Kieran's eyes snapped open. After taking in Felix's frozen form, she quickly pulled herself out from under him, sparing me one quick, bloody look before disappearing out the door. I had half the mind to go after her, but my attention turned to Claude, whose intense gaze was trained on Felix.

I turned back to Felix. He hadn't moved an inch. I stared down at my hands, completely unaffected by the Sway.

I didn't know Claude could set it on one singular person.

"You're letting her get away!" Felix ground out.

I knew she was already gone. Felix wouldn't be able to catch up to her. She wouldn't let herself be caught. I staggered back, my legs suddenly feeling weak, but a pair of arms wrapped around my waist, keeping me steady as my back fell into Claude's chest. "Claude, are you okay?" I asked, worried, trying to turn my body so I could face him.

His arms held me tighter, not letting me move, keeping me pressed against him. Hugging me. "I should be asking you that," he said, his voice strained and muffled as tucked his jaw into the crook of my neck.

"I'm okay," I said, warmth spreading through my chest from his embrace. "I'm fine, but you—"

He released me, but didn't step back, rotating me so I faced him, our bodies still so close together it was all I was aware of. He lifted his hand and cupped my cheek, stroking my skin with his thumb. "Liar. I thought..."

My pulse pounded in my ears and I stared at him mutely, unable to pull my gaze away from his face. The sweat beading on his hairline, the way his lips parted as he exhaled softly, his breath caressing my cheek, his half-lidded eyes searching my face, seeking something from me. Of me.

"Cleo," he murmured and my heart stuttered to a halt, his low voice sending shivers down my spine. "You really..."

He bent his head toward me and I didn't move, hands curling into the hem of his shirt.

But then his hand dropped and he took a step back, eyes fluttering shut. "Damn it," he said breathlessly. "I need you to get Kaz."

It took me a second to realize the world still existed around us. "Where is he?" I asked.

Claude didn't respond, his body going limp as he collapsed forward. I caught him before he hit the floor face-first, but his body weight sent me sinking down along with him. Adrenaline shot through me, giving me just enough strength to get him off me, and lay him down carefully. A clatter came from behind me and I glanced back over at Felix, who had slammed the dagger down as the Sway lifted from him. I expected him to give chase after Kieran, but he didn't even attempt to move. He just stood and stared at the door.

Then he turned to me, his face covered with my sister's blood.

Startled, I tore my attention from him. I didn't have time to sort out things with Felix right now. Claude needed Kaz. I pushed myself to my feet, my body aching, and reached for Claude's phone on the side table. The screen was cracked from when I'd dropped it while being kidnapped, but it still worked. I pressed Kaz's phone number with shaky fingers.

"What's wrong?" Kaz answered on the first rang.

"Come to Claude's room," I told him.

A sharp inhale came from the other side of the line. "Cleo?"

"Hurry, Kaz."

"I'm right outside. I'll be there in ten seconds."

I hung up the phone, checking on Claude again, trying to find where he was hurt. I'd thought my sister stabbed him, but he wasn't bleeding anywhere. His shirt was soaked with sweat and I unbuttoned it, checking for any kind of recent wound, but there was nothing. No indication of what made him pass out.

"Felix, can you help me lift him back onto the bed..." I asked, trailing off as I watched Felix lick my sister's blood off his fingers.

A scowl crossed his face, his nose wrinkling. "I knew it."

"Knew what?"

"She's not human. She couldn't be. Not if she passed over the boundary so many times without being noticed."

A chill went through me. "...What?"

Kaz stumbled through the door before I could ask Felix more, his body facing forward, but his head looking back over his shoulder. "D-did you guys see?" he stuttered, his whole body freezing up as Sura appeared in the doorway a second later. Kaz whipped his head toward me. "What's happening?"

"Claude told me to get you before he passed out," I said, holding tightly onto Claude. "What's wrong with him? I thought my sister stabbed him, but—"

"Your sister?" Kaz said sharply.

"She's not here anymore. Just get over here and check on Claude!" I said, my voice coming out louder than I'd meant it to. The stress of the day was catching up with me and Claude laying limp in my arms didn't help.

Kaz obeyed me and came over to me and Claude, helping me lift Claude onto the bed. "What did you see?" Kaz asked me, eyebrows furrowing.

"I don't know. I swear she stabbed something into him." I said, sitting on the edge of the bed, suddenly feeling winded. As I placed my palm down, something sharp bit into it. Yanking my hand back, I picked up what had pricked me.

A needle.

Kaz ripped it out of my hand, examining it for a moment. His face lost some of its color. "We have to get him to the infirmary. Now."

"Why? What's wrong?" I asked, a weight settling in my gut.

"She drugged him to try and stop the Sway," Kaz said, lifting Claude up in his arms. "Come on. We have to make sure he's not overdosed."

Nodding, I got off the bed again, and fell straight to the ground as my legs gave out. I tried to push myself up again, but found my body unbearably heavy. The pain I tried to ignore came back in full force and I took a ragged breath, curling up into a ball, tears burning in my eyes.

"Cleo? What's wrong?" Kaz asked, his concerned voice barely registering in my ears.

"I've got her," Felix said and a second later I was in his arms. "It looks like we have no choice but to let Evander know what happened."

No, I thought, but couldn't find the energy to voice my words. Everything hurt.

"Sura, you stay here," Felix ordered. "Don't let anyone see you. Lock the door behind us. And keep Claude's phone on you."

"Show some respect to the queen," Kaz said, and then Felix must have looked at him before Kaz let out a choked sound. "Your eyes—"

"Show some respect," I heard Felix respond mockingly before I lost consciousness again.

*

The smell of antiseptic was too familiar.

The blinding whiteness of the walls in the infirmary was also too familiar.

Familiar red hair appeared in my field of vision as my eyes adjusted to the light. A welcome familiar. The shallow breaths of San sleeping met my ears, and I smiled as I took in his awkward position by my bedside, half hanging off the armrest of a leather chair he'd dragged over, half on my bed, his waist twisted in a way that had to be uncomfortable.

On my other side, Adora drooled on my pillow, her body curled up to mine. I lifted my hand, trailing my finger through her long black hair. The motion made her eyes open— her brown eyes.

I blinked, startled. "Where are your contacts?"

"Huh?" she asked sleepily. "Oh. I cried so much my eyes were getting really irritated so I had to take them out."

"Oh."

We stared at each other. Her eyes began to fill up with tears again. I felt a lump form in my throat. We didn't say anything, knowing immediately what the other wanted to say. I lifted my arms, and she pressed herself to me, hugging me tightly.

"I was really worried about you, Cleo," she sniffed.

"I'm back now," I told her, rubbing her back soothingly. "I didn't even get hurt that bad."

She pulled back. "Not hurt bad? Cleo. Have you not seen yourself? You were stabbed! You needed like five stitches."

"Oh, that's not bad."

"That was for your side alone!"

Curious, I looked down at my palm, only to find it covered in bandages.

"Two there," Adora answered before I could ask. "You lost so much blood the doctor was surprised you were conscious for as long as you were. What happened, Cleo?"

"I'll explain when everyone is together," I said, shifting myself up into a sitting position. My body felt sore, but I didn't feel as much pain as I did before I passed out. They must have given me pain medication.

The thought of drugs made my body tense. "How is Claude?" I asked Adora, fear seizing me. "What happened to him? Is he okay?"

"You two are really something else," she responded, eyebrows raised. "Why don't you worry about yourself first?"

"Kaz said he was drugged. Is he okay? Did he overdose?"

Adora patted my leg reassuringly. "He's fine, Cleo."

"Where is he?"

"They put him in another room because..." She laughed, slapping her hand over her lips. "Sorry. I really shouldn't laugh. It's not funny."

I didn't see any humor in the situation. "What's not funny?"

Adora tucked her hair behind her ear, trying to school her expression. "He only got enough of the drug to have a nice trip. AKA he was high as all hell. They had to separate you two because he kept hallucinating that you were awake."

I gaped at her. "What?"

She giggled. "I think he has something to tell you."

"Not today, scrub," San mumbled.

Adora reached across me and tapped him on the head. He suddenly sat up with a snort. "What? What is it?"

"Cleo is awake," Adora told him.

San's eyes came into focus, and a bright smile crossed his face. "Cleo! I'm glad you're okay. You had me worried there."

"Sorry, San," I said, returning his smile.

"You're a little danger magnet, aren't you?"

"I don't try to be," I muttered.

"Who would have expected someone to take her so deep into campus?" Adora defended. "I don't think Evander would even believe it."

I looked at her. "What? Does that mean Evander doesn't know what happened?"

"Felix told him that a Leecher had snuck onto campus and got to you and Claude," San explained.

I didn't know whether that was a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe it would be better to tell everything to Evander. But then what would happen with the peace treaty? Did we really need to threaten it now that we had Sura? We could just bring my father down with her. There was no need to threaten the treaty if we didn't have to.

That was something we could figure out later, together.

"Can I see Claude?" I asked Adora.

Adora hesitated. "The doctor will want to see you, first..."

"I want to see Claude," I said firmly. I wanted to confirm his safety with my own eyes.

Adora pulled out her phone. "I'll let Kaz know you're awake. He's with Claude now."

I swung my feet over the edge of the hospital bed, testing my weight before standing. Now I could feel the pain of my side, but it wasn't overbearing. I moved to the front of the bed, getting used to the soreness of my body.

The door burst open and I nearly lost my footing. I gripped the edge of the bed, facing the door with wide eyes.

Claude stood there, arm stretched out, holding the door open. Looking perfectly fine.

The relief that settled into me made me smile. And then I laughed, taking in the sight of him in a hospital gown, his toned legs bared to the world.

"Nice outfit," I joked, the humor dying on my tongue as I took in his grim expression as he crossed the room toward me. "Claude—"

He stopped inches away from me, his proximity making me lose my train of thought. "Um. Hi. Are you still high?"

"Maybe," he answered. His gaze pierced into mine as he slid a hand over my jaw, cupping my cheek, his other hand following suit on the other side of my face, holding me in place, so reminiscent of our earlier closeness.

The room faded out around me, overtaken by the overwhelming presence Claude held. I didn't know how he managed to make me forget everything when he stood in front of me.

"Claude, what are you..."

"I can't take this anymore," he said, his voice missing the controlled tone it usually held. "I need you to stay by my side. Where I can keep an eye on you and where I can protect you."

Blood rushed to my cheeks and I stood stock-still. What was he saying? What did he mean by that?

"Do you realize how much of a hold you have on me?" He spoke softly, softer than he'd ever spoken before.

"Y-you're actually holding onto me right now."

"Cleo."

He had that look in his eyes again. Focused. Wanting.

"Wait," I said, my heart beating wildly. "Wait. Everyone is here, so..."

"I don't care."

I slapped my hands to his lips. "I do!"

I felt the scowl form under my fingers. "Fine."

And then the next thing I knew, I was being swept off my feet. Surprised, I flung my hands around his neck, holding on. "What are you—"

"Don't follow us," Claude said to Kaz as he strode out the door with me in his arms.

Adora hooked me a thumbs up just before Claude exited the room. He crossed the hall, shifting me in his arms so he could open the door to a different room. After checking that it was empty, he kicked the door shut behind us.

He walked over to an empty hospital bed, gently setting me down in front of it. I looked up at him, unable to calm my pulse as he stood in front of me. "Is this better?" he asked.

I nodded numbly.

That undeniable look of desire returned to his gaze. Goosebumps broke across my skin as he moved his hand to the back of my head, tangling his fingers in my hair. He bent his head down, eyes closing.

I didn't move as he kissed me, only remembering to close my own eyes after his lips met mine. He moved slowly, like I would shatter if he wasn't careful. Softly, like he couldn't bear to risk hurting me.

I thought I'd drown in the tenderness of it— something I didn't realize I'd longed for until now.

Claude pulled back a fraction of an inch to look at me, eyes half-closed still.

The air felt heady between us. My body felt light as he wiped his thumb over my bottom lip.

"Claude," I said, unsure of what I wanted.

His Adam's apple bobbed. Then he carefully pushed me backward. The back of my legs hit the hospital bed and I fell onto it with a thump. Claude pressed forward more, climbing onto the bed, his thighs brushing mine. I swallowed as he put his hands on my waist, hoisting me further back onto the bed so that he could straddle me, his hands on either side of my head as he hovered over me.

"Is this okay?" he asked, noticing how my body trembled.

It took me a moment to find my voice. "Yes." I reached my hands up, placing them on his shoulders, and pulled him down.

The weight of his body on mine was uncomfortable as it was welcomed. Something I'd never felt before. One hand kept him propped up, keeping the right side of his body from pressing against my wounded side, but the other went to my waist, his fingers tightening around my hipbone. And when he kissed me again, it still held that tenderness, but also a barely concealed need.

My hands went to Claude's hair, carding through the silky strands, yanking him deeper into the kiss.

He let out a pleased noise and parted my lips, swiping his tongue along my bottom one, pressing harder against me.

My mind was a mess. I couldn't think straight. Claude's body against mine took over every sense. His hands trailed down to my thigh, caressing the exposed skin from where my hospital gown had ridden up.

I sighed in content and felt Claude smile against me.

"Do know why I prefer the bed now?" he asked in a low breath.

"Not yet."

He stilled at my words, and a huff of laughter left his lips. I opened my eyes to see him smiling down at me.

It took me off guard for a moment, and then I lifted my hand to touch his face. "You're handsome when you smile."

"Am I not when I don't?"

"Well..."

"Answer that carefully. I do believe I have the upper hand right now," he said, taking one of my wrists in his hand and pinning it to the bed.

My chest heaved as I took in a sharp breath. The realization of what was happening was catching up to me. "Wait..."

Claude raised an eyebrow as I was sure he watched a blush spread across my face. "Why are you getting shy now?"

I tried to cover my face with my free hand, but Claude quickly grabbed that one too, holding it down. "That's... This..."

"Shh," he murmured. "Didn't I tell you it's normal to be speechless in my presence?"

I found myself unable to respond and knew I was proving his point.

"But with you, I think I'd like to hear something more," he said wickedly, releasing one of my hands, drawing it up my side slowly.

I squirmed under him. "C-Claude."

"Tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"Who is better?"

I paused. "Huh?"

Claude watched me carefully, lips pressed together, expression serious. "Felix or me?"

I blinked. "...Are you seriously asking me this right now?"

A flush crossed his cheeks. "Just answer."

I thought about it for a moment.

Claude's face went blank. "Are you actually thinking about it?"

"You're the one that asked—"

The door burst open, startling us both. I whipped my head toward it, horrified to be caught with Claude on top of me. The nurse who tended to me last time marched over to us, looking fierce.

"What are you doing in bed with the prince? You were stabbed," she chided bluntly. "Get off her," she snapped at Claude.

Claude immediately climbed off me impassively.

I wanted to melt into the bed and hide forever.

Unfortunately, the nurse wouldn't let me. "I will never understand teenagers," she huffed as she helped me climb to my feet, completely oblivious to my mortification. "Do you know how seriously you were injured? No hanky panky while you're healing. Got it?"

"H-hanky what?" I repeated, not sure how my body hadn't caught fire from how hot I felt.

She stopped at the door, pinning Claude with a glare as he tried to avoid her attention. "Your Highness. Don't think you're slipping away. I need to test your urine again. I'll meet you in your room after."

Claude's whole body turned crimson.

I was glad it wasn't just me.

"I'll see you after," I said to Claude just before the nurse whisked me away.

"I am not happy to see you hurt," the nurse said as we crossed the hall back to my room. "But I'm happy you're okay. But you need to rest this time. Your wound is deep. It can get affected."

I nodded, trying to ignore San and Adora as they exchanged smirks with each other as we walked back in.

"Stay here. I'm going to get the doctor."

"Are you okay, Cleo?" Kaz asked, appearing out of nowhere and making me jump.

I grimaced as the sudden motion made my side hurt. "Yeah. How long have I been out for?"

"You're asking that now? Just overnight."

I dropped my voice. "What about Sura?"

Kaz frowned. "Felix is with her. Claude doesn't know yet."

"What?"

"He needs to recover fully first. Because from here on out, things are going to get intense."

I nodded in agreement. Right. They were.

Because we now had the upper hand on my father.

And a way to take him down.

___________________

Well, here it is, after 193k words...

Kiss scenes are so stressful. I feel like I did a bad job LOL. Sorry in advance!!

Here is some cute character art instead :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8K 400 21
Cleo Arcangela Heath was a normal 16 year old, with a normal loving family and normal friends. Note how everything's in the past tense. After the mu...
41 1 28
Davina's life is great! She's making lots of money from her dream job and has a cat. What more could she want? A lot, actually. Feeling trapped in a...
363 41 22
An enemies to lovers back to enemies story. --------- "He said we remind him of Romeo and Juliet" "Who's that?" "Two characters in a human play. Th...
627 13 55
Aleah has been told all her life that she is worthless and weak by her older sister, Amora. But, when Aleah finds out that she is going to be betroth...