The Other Daughter

By Altheyuhmoves

"One unfortunate encounter resulted in a great love she will always remember. But what if your greatest love... More

Chapter 2: Interview with the Heiress
Chapter 3: Deal with the Devil
Chapter 4 : The Spectator & the Star
Chapter 5: Monsoons in Saysain
Chapter 6: Tattooed Sundays
Chapter 7: The Concept of Tià 疼
Chapter 8 : No Sweeter Regret
Chapter 9: Respice Finem

Chapter 1: The Chance Encounter with the Other Rich Man's Daughter

2K 37 20
By Altheyuhmoves

Pat sat by the window, she felt the rain pelting on her palm.

In the background, she was playing her Lolo's records as she listens to Rey Valera's "Kung Kailangan Mo Ako" in her little messy room.

Letters, ticket stubs, a dartboard filled with photos, an old polaroid camera, other scraps of photos were thrown all over her threadbare bed.

"May mga pagkakataon na iibahin talaga ang ikot ng buhay mo. Pwede syang taon... pwede syang mga walong oras lang.... pwedeng minuto ... sa totoo lang hindi ko alam paano ito nangyari..."

" Pero lagi ko binabalik balikan ang mga sandaling yun. Ang mga oras, ang mga sandaling kasama kita," Pat's eyes were filled to the brim with tears as she looked at a photo of her with her glistening brown skin and a carefree smile, right behind her was a girl with a Dodgers hat stealing a kiss on her cheek.

"Yun--- yun ang tingin ko sa'yo. It took one chance encounter with you and I did not realize na yung taong akala ko magpapahamak saakin ended up being someone who made me feel so alive for the first time..."

She looks into her blinking phone and she sees a headline that read:

"Krystal Tanchingco Set to Leave for Los Angeles."

Pat closed her eyes and the tears flowed some more.

"Pero sana ganito nalang tayo lagi. No one told me that the love that made me feel so alive —-will also bring me so much pain that it feels like a dread, void, like something died in me ..."

"I am so sorry, Krystal. We are nothing but a chance encounter.  A moment, isang pagkakataon na at that time, it made sense--- that our lives somehow crossed paths.  Only for a time it made sense."

Her wet palm slowly traced the phone that had a Chinita beauty in front of her.

"Thank you, Krystal," she whispered.

————————————
---Months ago....

David Cassidy's "I  Woke Up In Love This Morning" was playing loudly in the speakers.

Swipe.

Maria Patricia Lumaban, 25.

Pat or Patpat for short. Writer. Dreamer. Mama's girl.  Dog lover. Politics are on the liberal side. Anti- trapo. Feminist. Teleserye junkie. Marvel fanatic. Eclectic taste in music.

Longs for:  An enthralling connection. A chance encounter that will make me realize that it all makes sense and I can finally understand the records from the 70s with their saccharine lyrics.

Currently Watching: Killing Eve

Currently Listening to: Mamamoo and David Cassidy

I cannot: cook.  huhuhuhuhu! teach me!

She plastered photos of her holding on to her dog, Solar- a pudgy brown Aspin.  Some of the photos have her partying in Nectar on her birthday.  She wore a black crop top and was one of the rare times she wore makeup.  Her red matte lipstick sprawled widely forming a smile on her lips.

Another photo was of her hanging out at an old cafe as she tried playing the guitar.

And her last photo is a selfie in her car,  wide-eyed with the sunlight beaming on her rose-tinted face and brown skin.

She types in rapidly on her phone as she fills out more questions in her profile.  She is trying a dating app called "How About We".

In her whole life, she has never joined a dating app.

Well, Patricia Lumaban is not the type to date.  One can say —- she has had a few relationships or more like situationships with some guys in her college.

The type that will last 2 months with maybe an awkward kiss and before she knows it they have already dumped her for a new girlfriend.

Not that it even made her cry.

It just made her feel inadequate.

Not that she particularly enjoyed dating.  She felt obligated every time a young man with rimmed glasses in her batch brought flowers and chocolates —- she felt she had to at least entertain them.

"Minsan ka lang magka manliligaw," her mom will say.

"'Wag ka ng mapili".

But she always had a hard time connecting with anyone.

Every time she tried to kiss them it all felt like a task. They always looked like they were taking doses of sleeping pills when she tried to make conversations with them.

Dating is hard for Pat.  Hindi natural.  She always wondered why all her friends, all fell so hard and so fast.

While for her, she counts how long she has to kiss Carlo from church or Anthony from her Mass Comm batch.

"May mali ba saakin," she whispered to herself.

The profile flickered in front of her asking for something very vital.

Interested in?

"Both men and women," she typed.

She knew she was different but she also knew she had a very challenging time connecting with anyone.

She hears her phone beep.  Someone messaged her from her dating app.

A photo of a certain Kenneth, 24 matched with her. He looked harmless enough. He had an awkward Confucius mustache he was trying to grow. He wore skinny jeans and floral shirts. He liked cooking, she looked at a photo of him posing with a piece of ribeye and a cast iron pan.

Kenneth to Patricia: Hi! how are you? ano gawa mo?

Pat felt it was pleasant enough so she replied back. The conversation seemed easy enough.

"Hello, hello lang naman," she said to herself.

As she focused on her phone, the rest of her office crew started barging in. The noise blaring and overpowering her soft music.

"Patpat! Nasan na yung pinabili kong pichi-pichi," a burly gay man shouted to her direction.

"Sir Earl, nandyan na sa desk mo," Patricia smiled.

"Aaaaaayyyyy!!! Saya! May pichi pichi na akooo!" another gay man blurted out.

"Sabihin mo sa Mama mo, thank you, ah... ang sarap talaga ng pichi pichi niya," Earl said as he chomped on the kakanin.

"Oo. Salamat din," she said quietly.

Her office was filled with loud, boisterous chatter. A mix of chain smoking middle aged women and bombastic gay men filled the floor of their office.

Pat stuck out like a sore thumb on the floor of the Ortigas office, she was the youngest out of all of them and also the most quiet.

"O nasulat na ninyo yung announcement ng paglipat ni Bea Alonzo sa GMA diba?" Earl Bautista was her boss and the Chief Editor of ChikaLogy - the number 1 tabloid and online portal on anything chismis in the Philippines.

The country was such a fodder for chismis, Chikalogy was number 3 only to two national newspapers for sales and online viewership.

Chismis and Rumors---- a moneymaker in the country.

"Ang galing talaga ni Patpat, siya naka scoop na lilipat si Bea. Good job ka diyan," Tita Baby, a veteran showbiz reporter in a mullet said as she gave Pat a thumbs up.

Pat pressed enter on her keyboard and her old laptop screen flashed, "Bea Alonzo - Kapuso Na!"

The main headline for her and her biggest story of the month.

Pat always thought she was going to be an investigative reporter. The only thing she is investigating now is the most salacious scandals and exciting rumors she can find.

"Nasa scoop at chismis ang pera," she muttered under her breath, somewhat disappointed.

The office suddenly turned quiet as a woman in an all black business suit and Louboutin heels walked in.

It was Lorna Gomez, the owner of Chikalogy. She took off her black mask and immediately grabbed her cigarette. She looked tensed and peeved.

"Hello po, Ma'am Lorna," everyone exclaimed in unison.

"Emergency meeting!!!!" an assistant yelled.

Everyone bunched into Lorna's spacious all white conference room. Her voice shaking and echoing in anger throughout the room.

"Our views and impressions are getting lower.  In short, bumababa ratings natin.  Pati ads natin bumababa," she said tersely.

"Ma'am but we got the Bea scoop diba," Earl interrupted as he munched on his pichi pichi.

"Oo nga pero tinatalo tayo ng mga millennials o Zoomers whatever you want to call this kid shit," Lorna exclaimed.

"Nauuna na sila sa mga Twitter accounts nila.  Mga vlogs. Parang FashionPulis but on steroids.  My god," she muttered in her conyo accent.

"At ano finafollow nila? Eto... Eto..." She immediately flashed what was on her Mac. Everyone started crowding on the computer, some of them squinting their eyes.

The screen flickered and in front of them was a video of a motorcycle swerving in each steep corner of what seemed like a private club that was celebrating a wedding.  

The bride and groom looked shocked as they watched the biker go around their green garden and their venue. The motorcycle sped up....stopping the crowd of people at their tracks.

The motorcycle driver hurriedly took off their helmet... and there she was in the video, her long raven hair and Chinita eyes. She immediately faced the camera and raised her middle finger.

Lorna kept clicking her mouse - one dynamic video after the other.

The same Chinita girl getting into a shouting match with a cop. The same chinita girl skinny dipping in a beach in Cebu. The same young woman in a mukbang video with Ivana Alawi. The same girl taking body shots with Ellen Adarna in the Star Magic Ball. The same young woman on the cover of Mega magazine. The same rebel giving food to frontliners and sticking a middle finger to the camera.

"Eh diba Covid violation yan," Pat said, her eyebrows furrowed. Shock and disgust written all over her face.

"Who cares na COVID violation? This girl just raked up 9 million followers in a matter of a year," her boss said in frustration.

"Rappler just got an exclusive with her.... bakit tayo naunahan??!" Lorna was pacing back and forth now, even more angered.

Pat quickly viewed her phone and on instagram was the young woman's profile.

theothertanchingco

Krystal Mae Tanchingco

Public Figure.

Rebel With a Cause. Reluctant Public Figure. Tree Hugger. Frustrated Chef. Proud carrier of scars. Motorsiklo is life.

Pat scrolled down looking at Krystal Tanchingco's glamorous life at the beach, in gowns, and her riding a motorcycle in her sando.

She even got a personal thank you from THE Kathryn Bernardo.

They are even on a nicknames basis.  Kathryn just called her Kanchingkanching?

Slight disgust crawled onto her expressive face.  One thing about Pat is she is extremely transparent, her emotions will always show on her face.

"What the fuck? Finafollow siya ng KathNiel???" Pat said with obvious annoyance in her tone. Even her favorite loveteam follows this mediocre broad??!

"Hindi ba ito yung Tanchingco na naghamon yung tatay na pakasalan anak niya? " Tita Baby interfered as she studied the photos with Pat.

"Babayaran daw nya ng milyong milyong piso yung barako na magpapakababae sa kanyang shibs na anak! Diba na TV pa to?"

Everyone knew about the infamous Jade Tanchingco. The wayward lesbian daughter of the businessman, Oscar Tanchingco who ran away and ended up with her wedding coordinator,  Althea Guevarra.

"No... this is a different Tanchingco.  This is the other Rich Man's Daughter... hindi ito si Jade. Mas bata ito. Mas wild. Si Krystal yung anak ni Lucky Tanchingco," Pat explained.

"Anak siya sa labas ni Lucky pero tinuring na rin nila na legitimate na anak," Earl said as he also browsed through his laptop, looking at the different FashionPulis headlines featuring the new IT Girl, Krystal.

Lucky Tanchingco was the known playboy of the Tanchingco family, rumor has it his true love is Krystal's mother.   Not his wife.

"Pero bakit siya pinagkakaguluhan... we have the Bea Alonzo scoop, yung interview kay Mr.M, leak ng scripts, paparazzi photos, first pictures ng Korean celebrities sa airport... why is she news," Pat was annoyed at this point, she broke some of the biggest news for Chikalogy.

Now their numbers are down because of some random "It Girl".

"At tignan ninyo ito..." Lorna flashes another photo in her laptop of Krystal and popular movie hearthrrob, Juancho Esguerra.

The two looking cozy as Krystal put her head on the hansome actor's shoulder.

Juancho is part of the most popular loveteam in the Philippines called "JuanMi". He was paired with a wholesome star named Mia Agosa and this will surely be a scandal.

"Juancho Esguerra... diba boyfriend yan ni Mia Agosa so wala na ang JuanMi," Pat exclaimed.

She realized FashionPulis, Rappler, PEP all beat them to this possible story.

This was indeed an emergency.   Pat's work relies on how many clicks she can get with each scoop, each blind item, each article, each revelation and each showbiz story she can bring forth to the masses.

This was a huge miss. Colossal miss.

"Pero Ma'am Lorna... ang trabaho po namin ay pagusapan ang celebrities. Mga entertainers. Artista. Singers. Of course, the way I see it ma'am... parang bored mediocre socialite lang naman ito. She is a flash in the pan... temporary lang ito .... talentless black sheep," Pat explained it nonstop to her boss.

All her work cannot be down the drain because of this talentless blacksheep.

"Well, the talentless blacksheep is saving Rappler's numbers," Lorna interrupted.

"Sa madaling salita — huli tayo... ikaw, Patricia Lumaban kaya kita kinuha kasi I need new blood in Chikalogy.  Lahat kami mga reporter pa noong 90s at 2000s... ikaw dapat nakakaintindi sa new generation!"

Everyone was taking notes in the meeting. Freaking out at their sudden low numbers and how to get an interview or a feature on Krystal Tanchingco.

"I demand that you either get me a blind item or a scoop on this Krystal girl or an interview... putanginang skin care routine niya! Pagdadamit niya! ANYTHING!!!! I am telling you, our asses are on the line here!" Their boss said infuriated.

Pat heaved an exasperated sigh as she looked at the blinker on her laptop.

"Krystal Tanchingco and Juancho Esguerra... Getting Cozy?"

She tried typing an article but her frustration and stress was making her chest heavy.

The whole meeting room was ablaze as everyone tried to release articles to catch up on the latest rumors. Their voices were loud. The smoke coming off everyone's cigarettes was billowing in the room.

When suddenly... Pat noticed her phone kept buzzing.

The yellow light from the How About We dating app kept flickering.

Kenneth: Oh same school pala tayo.

beep.

Kenneth: Bakit di ka na sumasagot?

beep.

Kenneth: I mean do you wanna fuck tho?

beep.

Kenneth: send image.

Her Iphone flickers a preview of something rather fleshy on the screen.

There it was previewing on her iphone ... his hairy body in his naked glory.

"Putanginang Kenneth na ito... ni hindi nga makatubo ng proper na bigote... pinadalhan ako ng nudes? Pakshet na buhay ito," she thought to herself.

Beep. The phone kept buzzing.

The panic suddenly jolted in Pat's eyes as everyone heard her phone.  In a frantic pace, Pat clumsily threw her phone as it dropped to the floor.  Hoping no one saw the evidence of the disgusting and unsolicited photo.

"Maria Patricia Lumaban ... ano ba problema mo at talagang tinatapon mo phone mo?" Her boss, Earl looked at her weirded out.

Pat was bolting to the floor as Earl picked up her phone.

"Wag... Sir Earl... wag," she exclaimed.

Earl examined the phone and the rather naked preview that kept popping up in the iPhone notifications.

"Ay!!! Bet. Good for you.  Dapat ka na talaga madiligan," Earl said as he handed back the phone to her.

The rest of the editorial team looked and chuckled.

"Ay madownload nga iyan."

"Guys.  Promise talaga.... school lang pinaguusapan namin. Hindi ko alam bakit napunta diyan!"

Pat buried her face on the desk in embarrassment.

"Pat... wag ka nga maarte diyan.  Baka kailangan mo lang madiligan at para magbloom, bloom ka naman.  Inspiration din yan.  Alam mo naman office policy dito.  Bawal naman judgmental dito," Earl said as he patted her head, still burrowing in shame.

Lorna looked at the commotion that her team was having. The sudden uproarious laughter and the nonstop taunting everyone was giving her youngest writer.

"Look Miss Lumaban... I do not care what you do on your own free time or on your own damn phone... kalandian man yan o ano... pero please, think of a scoop, alright. I need it tomorrow in the morning," she said as she walked out of the cold conference room.

Pat wanted to crawl and hide into a rock. As if this day cannot get any worse.

On her computer she stares at the Tangchingco heiress in front of her. Her blood boiled. She needed to release a scoop.

"Remember anything Krystal Tanchingco touches turns to gold," Lorna said nonchalantly as she dropped the Mega Magazine with the socialite on the cover.

"Philippines Paris Hilton or Misunderstood Rebel?"

It read on the cover.

Another magazine was slammed on the table. "The Rebellious Heiress! Krystal Mania!," it said on the cover.

Pat rubbed her face in frustration.

Her deadline was tomorrow.

------

"Tangina naman," Pat exclaimed to herself. It was 1 am and she was in front of her desk at her little bungalow in Parañaque, trying to think of ways to write something on Krystal Tanchingco.

Her mother, Sheila groggily walked to the kitchen pouring water in her glass.

Sheila raised Pat by herself as a single mom.  She has been loyal to an accounting firm for thirty years and she sold kakanin on the side.

They lived adequately and humbly. Sheila always put all of her focus on Patricia and God...

as it is seen with the Sto Niños and Mama Marys displayed all over their living room.

Sheila was a stunning beauty who was popular in the discos in the 90s,  her younger years were all about partying but when she got pregnant at 20 her world changed to focus only on her daughter.  

You can still see remnants of the old Sheila in her, she always seemed too young to have a child as old as Pat.

"Anong oras na, anak... nagtatrabaho ka pa? Sobra na yan, ah," Sheila exclaimed as she lazily walked to her daughter who was rapidly typing in the living room couch.

Plastered all over the walls were Pat's photos of her UP graduation. Her diploma stated she graduated with honors in the UP Mass Communications Department.

One photo was with her internship with Jessica Soho.

Pat was so sure she was going to be in hard news and investigative journalism.   But the opportunities were bare. Her being a teleserye fanatic paved the way for her to be a showbiz reporter after being so active on her Twitter account to talk about the latest dramas.

She looked at her college photo, beaming from ear to ear. Her eyes with so much sparkle and bravado. So much hope and countless dreams. And now, she's stuck trying to create an article on some dumb socialite.

"Ma kasi naman... nakita mo na ba buhay ko recently? Sobra sobra na ginagawa ko sa trabaho ko. Hard hitting showbiz news.  Long articles on network transfers and showbiz politics.  Hit after hit .... dahil saakin lahat yun.  Tapos parang kulang pa rin," she was huffing and puffing now.

On the background was a youtube video of Krystal Tanchingco with her black Ducati motorcycle.

"This is how you dress like a biker chick," she said, in her deadpan husky voice blaring in Pat's sala.

"Pakaarte, bwisit," Pat said as she pushed her laptop.

"O bakit mainit ulo mo diyan sa batang yan? Ang ganda ng batang yan. Naguest sa Magandang Buhay yan kasama si Mumshie Karla. Close pala siya sa Kathniel," Sheila said as she pointed at the beautiful socialite on the screen.

"No, Ma... she is a mediocre famewhore!! Ang claim to fame is her name and pagpapaBelo niya.   At tapos... ano? Isasayang ko degree ko para magsulat tungkol sa ano... skincare routine niya?   At sinong papatulan niyang celebrity this time? Ducati niya? Kairita!!!"

Sheila stopped and laughed at her daughter's antics. She is used to Pat's hot temper and stress from work. That is the only time Pat really exploded.

"Anak, eh di isulat mo kung anong gusto mo isulat sa kanya. Ano ba gusto mong topic talaga? Malamang hindi ang skincare routine niya," Sheila said calmly as she kissed her daughter's forehead.

"Matalino kang bata. Anak kita e.  So magsulat ka lang.  Not everyone has your talent. Hinire ka nila kasi magaling ka magsulat at maabalidad ka.... ang abilidad wala sa mga reklamo mo. Nasa pagsusulat mo," Sheila slowly paced herself, walking back to her bedroom the sound of her slippers ruffling.

Her mother's words rung in her ears and as she looked at another message from some Carlo on her dating app,

"Hi Miss Patricia. Ganda mo naman. meet up tayo??"

"Shit. Get out of this, Patpat!!" she told herself.

She knew she had to get out of this rut. With a mix of triumph and frustration,  she cracked her knuckles and started typing rapidly.

The monitor flickered as her words started building up and just like that it was like an overflow of adjectives just spilling all over her article.

Her article was long, she kept typing ... her words just spilling over with no control.

The Philippines' Obsession With The Other Rich Man's Daughter: The New Pandemic Star

"The Tanchingco clan has always been part of our headlines from their malls to their controversies to the brave, Jade Tanchingco who defied society by choosing the woman she loves.

But there is a new Tanchingco in town.  A beautiful head-turner in a motorbike, all over the papers for her opinions, her artista friends, and her wild antics.  People say she is a 2021 Paris Hilton and a new pandemic star.  But can we be real for a second? What has the vapid Krystal Mae Tanchingco proven in this pandemic?

That she can feed our frontliners McDonalds as long as she gets a million views on youtube? That she is just like us but she will choose to mukbang $1000 worth of truffle- pang ilang buwan suweldo na ninyo yun?

That she will say she is anti police but she will only ridicule a poor cop while her family continues to support cops through their donations?

That she gets every media exposure so she can get for us to forget that she is a dropout of Oxford University?  That she is Chief Marketing Officer of Tanchingco malls but never shown herself once at work?  That she can throw "vaccine parties" while the rest of the Philippines struggle?

Ano nga ba meron si Krystal Tanchingco... ganda, kayamanan, kasikatan o sadyang usok at mga salamin ito sa isang spoiled na anak ng isang failing business conglomerate?

Wake up, Philippines. You deserve better than this Pandemic Star."

She wrote a few more paragraphs, compiled a bunch of her controversial photos.

She logged into the Chikalogy site and immediately hit send.

She was on an adrenaline high and with that she shut her laptop. She ran and crashed to her bed. Immediately putting her phone on silent.

"I might get fired for this but that was probably the best article I ever wrote. Ang sarap sa feeling," she whispered to herself.

It was 5 am and her eyelids were getting droopy. And before she knew it... she was snoring.   Finally asleep and slowly letting go of all her stress.

---——————-

Girl Blunt by Leikeli47 was playing in the background as someone looked at their crashed Twitter account.

Twitter was on fire the next day.

@devinsteponme
"Read the @chikalogy article on Krystal Tanchingco/ @othertanchingco and very insightful. Just unfollowed her."

@bellezaresty

"Tangina talaga ng mga mayayaman- kunwari ka lang pala @theothertanchingco. Katulad ka rin pala ng pamilya mong MATAPOBRE!"

@oustNamooFury

". @theotherTanchingco is CANCELLEDT! EAT THE RICH!

@MoonLoversSonata

"I always thought there was something I did not like about Krystal Tanchingco that I cannot quite pinpoint. Thanks for that enlightening Chikalogy article."

@RedDotMilkTea

"THE TEA IS SUPER HOT TODAY AND IT IS SPILLING! I AM LIVING FOR IT! Jade has always been my favorite Tanchingco! And @chikalogy is still the best tea spiller in town!"

@farenheit451

"The vaccination parties are gross!"

@FancyOT4fan

"Can't we give @theothertanchingco a chance to explain? Ang bilis naman natin makalimot, she has done a lot for the community and openly did criticize her family!"

@vincepinedaisbuggin

"Bro, all I gotta say is Krystal Tanchingco is still hot. 10 out of 10 will sleep with her. Mukha siyang Korean idol,bro. Come on."

-———
"What the fuck is going on," her deep voice swelled into the room as she looked at her phone, her large slender hand going from one tweet to the next.

Her long body stood by the blinds overlooking the BGC route. She stood there miffed, in her sports bra and her red boxers-still recovering from a hangover she had the night before.

"Fuck,"she cussed underneath her breath.

Her instagram mentions have her other applications crashing.

Krystal Tanchingco sat on her satin king bed as she browsed through her missed calls.

20 from her dad, Lucky Tanchingco.

She looked at her phone, a text message from her favorite cousin, Jade Tanchingco flashed on the screen.

"Kanchingkanching, baby, ok ka lang? I am so sorry. If you need advice on how to get through this, you are always welcome to hang out with me and Althea."

She heaved an exasperated sigh as she drank the espresso from her Keurig.

She sat on her bed, massaging her forehead wondering what just hit her.

She read through Chikalogy article, "what has the vapid Krystal Mae Tanchingco proven in this pandemic?" the words stung and she kept studying it.

The doorbell rang and she quickly wrapped herself in a pink Versace robe.   She opened the door to her high-rise condo, only to see her father, Lucky Tanchingco fuming with red rage as he greeted her with a curse.

"Bata ka, do you know what everyone is saying? It's 10 AM and you are still not dressed up yet... naligo ka na ba-- ano party na naman?!"

Lucky Tanchingco is the second son of the famous Tanchingco clan. He recently became Chief Executive Officer of the Tanchingco companies as his brother, Oscar recently suffered a stroke.

The stress was high as the investors did rely on Krystal's magnetism with the young people to get the Tanchingco business lines back in the game.

This was a blow not only to Krystal but to the Tanchingcos.

"Ano nga ba meron si Krystal Tanchingco... ganda, kayamanan, kasikatan o sadyang usok at mga salamin ito sa isang spoiled na anak ng isang failing business conglomerate?" Lucky read out loud.

Krystal knew the article word per word now so she said it in unison with her father.

"I mean, I have to say-- brilliant yung switch niya from English to Tagalog because it made the article all the more effective," she chuckled as she sipped her coffee lazily on her leather couch.

"We need to sue her," Lucky exclaimed as he slammed his fist on the dining table.

Krystal laughed.

"Dad, for what though? It's just her opinion."

"An opinion that is having an effect on our reputation and our business.  Tatakbo pa ako sa pulitika.  Ayusin mo yan! Son of a bitch!" Lucky always had a temper especially when it came to all things Krystal Tanchingco.

"I guess I only have use to you if I famewhore around and make your company look good. Wala man lang, 'hey anak, ok ka lang ba? How are the million hate mails treating you?'" 

Krystal always had a trademark arrogant smirk and dry humor to dampen situations.

"Stop it with your crybaby bullshit, Krystal."

"Well yeah-- you are right there. You and I are bullshit. Kind of bullshit parenting right now."

Lucky immediately raised his arm and slapped Krystal with the back of his hand.

"You do not talk to me that way. Anak lang kita. Pasalamat nga tinanggap pa kita. Pasalamat ka nga tinanggap ka ni Papa na isang Tanchingco. You owe your life to me. To us!"

Krystal smiled arrogantly, licking her lips as she touched her cheek and she let out a husky chuckle.

"You always have a way with words. Always reminding me that being your daughter is just a favor you had given to me," she said, her words rolling to her tongue like she was spitting on it.

She was used to Lucky's quick hand and insults.

"Aayusin ko. Wag kang magalala," she said, shaking her head and gulping the hot espresso like a shot she had to take.

Before she could say another word, her father slammed the door, leaving her alone.

The air conditioning seemed extra cold at that point as she looked at the scathing article written on her. It detailed all the trips she took during the pandemic, the amount of money the Tanchingco family splurged, her rumored vaccine parties, and her dropout records in Oxford.

She turned on her laptop as she browsed through the portal of Chikalogy. The online showbiz news tabloid.

She studied the writer's name. "By Patricia Lumaban". Attached were her Linkedin and Instagram profiles.

Locked. All of it.

She quickly did a Google Search on her, "Patricia Lumaban"

Krystal studied the photos of the girl.

She looked simple, she smiled furtively and child-like. She was a morena and had a certain innocence to her.

Not someone you would relate to the mean-spirited article.

She also did not look like a showbiz reporter. She was young and looked like a kid.

She saw upon research that she is an intelligent graduate from UP.

Krystal swiveled her chair lazily as she smoked her mint juul. Billowing the air with her cupid's bow mouth.

"Patricia Lumaban, huh," she whispered as she stared at the morena's photo.

"I guess you do not know who you are dealing with, Miss Lumaban - the chismis writer."

---

Pat's day was a whirlwind - she started her day getting yelled at by Earl for posting such an article.  Now she is ending the day with Lorna celebrating her win.

"3 million shares in one day! Kaloka. This is what I am talking about! This is the kind of writing I want," Lorna blurted out as she printed a piece of paper with the article on it.

Earl was smoking like a chimney as he kept track of the shares and numbers of the article. The website traffic has been so active, the website had to go down four times because of the activity.

"Nakakastress itong website—— ilang beses na inayos ng IT. Yung article parang Kim Kardashian lang, broke the internet," Earl said with a celebratory grin.

"Akala ko ba tanggal na ako Sir Earl, sabi mo sa last text mo tanggal na ako sa trabaho," Pat said laughing. She beamed from ear to ear as she watched the retweets go by the millions and her inbox flooded with hate mail.

She was not particularly proud that she criticized the Tanchingco heiress, she is just proud that she got a hit writing what she wanted to write.

Lorna directed her attention at Pat.  Getting her ready for her reward.

"Alam mo ibig sabihin nito ---"

Pat was rocking her chair, fantasizing about the possibilities.

"Siguro --- magkakaraise ako, promotion? Baka irefer niya ako kay Jessica Soho? Baka bigyan niya ako ng think piece," she was smiling in her dream land, thinking of her dreams finally coming true.

"Ang ibig sabihin nito ay ---- I am assigning you, Maria Patricia Lumaban on the Krystal Beat! You have to follow her - we need the scoop on her," Lorna said in an excited manner.

Pat fell off her chair instantly as Earl screamed in fear.

"PAaaaat! Mabagok ulo mo!!!!"

Pat struggled to get up from the rough, carpeted floor. Startled with what her boss, Lorna just told her.

"Teka po, ma'am ... ang sinasabi ninyo po eh --- I have to do more Krystal Tanchingco stories?"

She was thinking a raise or promotion or even a free lunch.

Or at least ---a meeting with Kathniel. But not more stories with that mediocre girl?!

"Yes. We need to go where the audience wants us to go," Lorna said as she popped a Prosecco bottle. Everyone was slurping the alcohol and eating the free pizza from Lorna.

But for Pat--- this was complete horror. This is going against all her principles. Sure, she worked for a tabloid but she revealed relevant scoops like network transfers, managers taking advantage of talents, and exposes on the evils of the showbiz industry.

"But this is cheap tabloid work--- I work on showbiz exposes, actual news," Pat muttered under her breath.

Lorna stopped on her tracks as she sipped on her champagne.

"Darling, we are a cheap tabloid. I know may mga ilusyon ka na investigative reporter ka. Ginigising na kita sa ilusyon mo --- we are a showbiz tabloid. Nasa scoop at chismis ang pera. At ngayon ang scoop mo ay si Krystal," Lorna said with her usual mataray tone.

"Gusto mo ng promotion diba? Then you follow Krystal - you follow where the story is!"

The dread goes to the pit of her stomach.

She already hated Krystal Tanchingco.

----

Pat was in her best friend, Chanelle Rosal's house in Taguig.

Chanelle has been Patricia Lumaban's best friend since high school. She's the total opposite of Pat.

She was loud, she had alpha energy, she was a stylish girl, had no problem dating men, and was always Pat's number 1 defender.   She was filled with an air of confidence and was funny.   People always said she looked like a bold star. She was bombastic and severely unapologetic, this is what Pat loved about her.

Pat used to have the biggest crush on her in high school and college. This was around the time she realized she likes girls too. Nothing happened because Chanelle was so straight... but at least she got a best friend out of it.

She was hanging out with Chanelle that Friday night because she had to borrow a dress for the Guillermo Awards.

Pat was tasked to follow Krystal around for a salacious scoop. Coincidentally, she was invited to the Guillermo Box Office Awards as Press representative.

Chanelle was to the rescue, giving her some Fenty makeup and dressing her in an emerald green Edwin Tan dress.

Chanelle applied matte lipstick on her and told Pat to pucker up.

Pat awkwardly puckered up. Her lips protruded like a fish out of the water.

"Yuck. Eh kaya walang nagdedate sa'yo ganyan ba itsura mo pag mag kiss ka," Chanelle laughed.

"Gago ka.... sobrang problemado na nga ako dahil dito kay Tanchingco tapos reremind mo pa ako sa failure ko sa dating app," Pat treaded lightly as she tried walking in Chanelle's heels.

Pat cleaned up nicely with her sleek hair and night makeup. She was not used to wearing evening gowns or heels for that matter.  But she showed a little air of elegance as she looked at herself in front of the mirror.

"I mean failure ba kung nakad*ck pic, ano ba naman ang dating app without nudes," Chanelle said as she straightened up Pat's hair.

Pat freaked out at the suggestion.

"Alam mo, Chanelle sa tagal mo nang in a relationship... ang suwerte mo kasi you do not have to deal with those pictures."

Chanelle tried to ease Pat's worries.

"Eto talaga. Tignan mo nga sarili mo. Ayan, ganda ng best friend ko!"

Pat made a face unsure how to take compliments.  She started whining in frustration as she looked at herself in Chanelle's mirror.

"Nakakabanas talaga tong assignment na ito. Para akong glorified paparazzi!!"

Chanelle squished her friend's cheeks and shouted as she tried to hype Pat up.

"You got this! You have the most viral article in the Philippines!  You have to do things you do not like to get to do what you like in your job soon! Kaya mo yan!!!"

Chanelle quickly slapped her best friend's ass.

"Ready ka na sa Guillermo! Ready ka na sa next article mo kay Krystal Mae Tanchingco!"

Pat sighed heavily and did the sign of the cross.

"Sabi nga ni Mama... Santisima. Jusko. Panginoon."

—-

It was the first time that the Guillermo Awards opened after the spike of the COVID pandemic. Now that everything is going back to normal, it is still something Pat needs to get used to.

Only selected groups of people were attending at the new Fairmont Hotel. Everyone has dressed to the nines again in their Michael Cinco gowns and piña barongs.

It was a bit surreal to see people in their face shields and masks as they walked over to the red carpet.

Pat was driving her old Blue Nissan Sentra as she struggled to get out with her long and flowy dress.

She wore her face shield that was fogging up as she walked with her press badge.

"Nakakalula naman ito," she whispered to herself, her eyes darting to different celebrities.

Seeing Heart Evangelista. Maja Salvador.

Oh... there is Alden Richards... there is James Reid... there is Gerald Anderson....

A bunch of fans from afar started screaming as a limousine passed by.

Two young individuals got out of the car and the crowd went into full pandemonium.

It was Juancho Esguerra and Mia Agosa- the so-called JuanMi loveteam got out of the vehicle. They were there to accept their award as Best Loveteam for this year.

Pat was bored out of her mind watching the show as she was gulping the glasses of rosè in front of her.

She frantically texted Earl, worried it has been three hours and she still has not seen a shadow of Krystal.

Pat: Sir Earl... parang no show si Krystal.

Earl: Sabi ng source ko nandyan daw yun. Magpresent ng award. Awra ka lang diyan.

Pat: Sir... lasing na po ata ako. LOL

Earl: Bruha ka! Umayos ka!

Pat tried to stifle her laughter while she texted. She was not used to drinking and she was a lightweight.

"And now presenting the award for Best Loveteam is Gerald Anderson and Krystal Tanchingco," the host exclaimed.

Pat suddenly bolted out of her seat and snuck up front to get a good glimpse and a good photo of Krystal.

Krystal slowly walked over to the stage in a black, modern Filipiniana pantsuit. She slithered as she moved, not even smiling at the people greeting her. There was obvious tension on stage as she spoke on the mic. She was stoic and her eyes kept shifting.

When the couple came up on stage Juancho gave Krystal a quick peck on the cheek, while Mia looked uncomfortable at the scene.  Mia settled to give Krystal a distant side hug.

"Tangina... harap harapan talaga aagawin sa girlfriend!" Pat thought to herself as she rapidly took photos on her phone.

Pat logged into the Twitter account of Chikalogy.

"Love Triangle brewing with JuanMi and Krystal Tanchingco?"

She tweeted. That will do it.

Instantly within seconds, she was getting hundreds of retweets.

She bit her lip as she tried to sneak in more photos. But she noticed Krystal was no longer on stage.

"Nasa backstage yun!" She briskly ran to the backstage only to be stopped immediately by a scrawny security guard in a barong and a face shield.

"Ma'am bawal po audience dito."

"ah eh...Press ako," Pat sounded unsure as she flashed her Media ID.

"Bawal po talaga ma'am. Hindi po pwede strict po guidelines na presenters at guests lang po. Limited din po capacity."

"Sige na... kuya, libre kita ... sige na," she pleaded.

" Ma'am hindi po pwede talaga. Strict orders po at di po ako papadala sa lagay," the guard said in a deadpan manner.

"OA naman ni Kuya. Libre lang ... lagay na agad," she pouted to herself.

As she stepped down from the stairs, Pat realized that she was getting wobbly. She should have avoided the rosè drink.

"Parang juice pero nakakadala," she muttered.

She knew she had to use the restroom to get herself together.

They were announcing the box office king and queen but she cannot hold it in any longer.

Pat took off her high heels and dashed to the restroom.

The bathroom was all black and marbled. There were couches and makeup rooms in it. It was like a fancy hotel room in of itself with a cactus in the middle. It was also severely empty since everyone wanted to see who won box office king and queen.

Jackson Wang's "Leave Me Loving You" was playing on the background as they celebrate the winners.

Pat was finally relaxed as she got to pee and settle down from her drunken stupor.

"Mygod, kanina ko pa ito pinipigil," she whispered.

—- then she heard a sudden thud that echoed in the restroom.

And she was sure it was not the flush from the restroom. She peeked through the dark door and there she saw two women who seemed to be in an argument.

She slowly walked over to the washing area- trying to get closer to the commotion as she casually washed her hands. She was quiet, like a panther waiting for her prey as she studied the commotion.

"You cannot keep doing this to me," one of the women said almost sounding like she was about to cry.

Pat squinted her eyes to see more clearly but a large cactus was blocking her way to see who the woman was.

"I told you we cannot do it na, diba? My career is on the line here..." the other woman said softly.

"Fuck your career!" the other woman yelped.

Pat wanted to know what was going on so she slowly inched in closer to have a better look.

"Pwede ba ... keep your voice down, marinig tayo ng mga tao and we are both dead if people find out...."

Pat finally got a better look of the angry woman telling the other to shut up.

To her shock, it was the Mestiza young star, Mia Agosa. The other half of the popular JuanMi loveteam.

Pat scrambled with her iPhone and she steadied her hand, she quickly hit record.

The video now recording.

She can see the other woman was holding on to a bottle of Hennesy that she was gulping carelessly.

Her back still turned from Pat.

"I told you, I hate it when you drink," Mia said with quiet fury.

"Well I hate it na pinapaasa mo na naman ako," the other woman kicked the couch in front of her in frustration.

Then she suddenly thrusted her way out of the furniture's way and slowly her face was revealed in Pat's direction.

"Oh fuck," Pat whispered.

It was Krystal Tanchingco.

This was a fuckin' scoop, she thought to herself.

"Nagaaway ang dalawa dahil nagaagawan sila kay Juancho. Shit!!! Ang juicy nito," she thought to herself

"What happened between us the other night was fun but I only wanted it to be fun," Mia whispered.

"Ganyan ka naman lagi e. Tatakbo ka once shit gets real," Krystal was pacing back and forth, her strides taking up almost the whole area. She was taking quick sips of the strong cognac in her hand. Pat has never seen this side of Krystal. It was almost child-like. It was vulnerable, it was someone confused, and it was someone in need of help.

"Ganun ba kagwapo si Juancho para pagagawan nila," Pat was talking to herself as she tried to calm herself down because of the scoop she got her hands on.

This was what will get her a promotion.

——————

Jackson Wang's "Leave Me Loving You" was now louder and it was echoing through the bathroom halls.

The two women still kept arguing as Pat continued to record.

"We cannot keep doing this," Mia said in a stern tone.

"But I want to! I want to make this work! " Krystal's voice was breaking as she spoke.

"You know this is not how it works... we have to end this crazy thing. It will not only ruin me but you too, Krystal."

"So ano ang lahat ng ito?!"

Krystal sounded bitter as she spoke.

"It was a one night stand, Krystal. Akala ko you of all people will realize that!"

"So what was that, Mia? An experiment? You said masaya ka... was that part of the experiment too?!"

"Krystal, lasing ka na... at ayoko ng saktan si Juancho. Kaibigan mo rin siya!"

Krystal was pacing back and forth more.  Flustered.  Frustrated.

"Ganun nalang yun? Why even reel me into this mess?!"

"Krystal... I am sorry," Mia uttered.

Krystal brushed her bangs over her face, fixing her hair with her fingers as she tried to clear her head, trying to take in what Mia was telling her.

She heaved an exasperated sigh as she looked at the ceiling, lost in a daze.

"Fuck it," Krystal whispered and with that she grabbed Mia's face.

Pat was witnessing all this and she was worried she was about to witness a violent fight over a man.

But what happened within seconds was something Maria Patricia Lumaban was not ready for.

Krystal crushed her mouth onto Mia's and the two were kissing quite passionately.

Krystal maneuvered her mouth roughly as if inhaling all of Mia.

Mia was also lost in the kiss and for a while was also roughly kissing back.

Pat froze as she witnessed the scene. She realized now that the real love triangle was different.

Krystal and Juancho were actually both involved with Mia.

Then she saw Mia push Krystal away from her and then she heard the slap bounce across the socialite's face.

"Wow, I got two slaps today", Krystal said as she bit her lips and smiled sadly.

Obviously holding her tears.

Both of the women had their lipstick smeared all over their mouths after the passionate kiss.

"Krystal, it is over.  Leave me alone, please. Please do not even follow me. Hindi porket anak mayaman ka, you can have everything and everyone that you want. No. Please, Krystal. No more," Mia was angry as she raised the volume of her voice.

And with that, Mia ran away from the bathroom as they were announcing the winners for the box office awards.

The recording button was now off.

This felt wrong for Pat. Sure, she was a cutthroat reporter but she still had a moral compass.

Pat was frozen still trying to piece out what she just saw and what she just recorded.

"This is wrong, I cannot record that. I am not gonna out anyone," she thought to herself.

Krystal exhaled loudly and was gulping her drink, making sure she did not cry as she slumped on the black couch. She quietly placed her cognac on the floor and she closed her eyes, hoping she could just dream her reality away.

Pat was in a panic. Does she just hide? Does she just crawl out of the restroom? Does she just cower somewhere?

Gugulong ba siya? Iihi nalang ulit?  She thought to herself.

"Shet. Shet. Shet," she whispered to herself as she tried to escape by crawling out of the big restroom.

But then her phone started ringing loudly as she saw Chanelle's name flashing on her screen.

"Putanginaaaaa —- ngayon ka pa mag factime," she said as she closed her eyes. Her face shield super fogged up at this point

She saw Krystal's shoulders perk up and the young woman's tall frame slowly faced her direction.

Her cold and dark eyes darted towards Pat.... who was still crouching on the bathroom floor.

She slithered at a fast pace as she approached Pat, her heels thudding and now she stood in front of Pat who was still kneeling.

"Tayo," she said in a gruff manner.

Having Krystal this close, Pat realized how her presence was commanding. She towered over her as she was tall and her shoulders were broad.

Her all Black Filipiniana made her look like a vampire in the night. Her eyes were filled with rage and her face was pink-flushed from the alcohol she just drank.

She looked at Pat like she was studying her every move.

Pat slowly stood up, her eyes closed tightly and barely breathing as she was now face to face with the socialite she was assigned to destroy.

Krystal licked her lips as her long fingers crawled on top of Pat's dress just right below her chest.

She stared at Pat as if burrowing into her.

"Mamanyakin ba ako nito," Pat asked herself.

But she looked down to see that Krystal was studying her Press ID.

"Patricia Lumaban... we finally meet.  Just the girl I am looking for," Krystal said in her deep voice.

"You clean up nicely. Bagay sa'yo damit mo. Hindi ka pala mukhang manang sa personal."

Krystal did not just have confidence, she had braggadocio.

She had all the gall as she was a rich man's daughter and it was seen in her every move. She did not care for discomfort. Her fingers crawled onto Pat's face shield as she slowly took it off. Not caring for the amount of space she was taking up from Pat.

Pat was now leaning on the wall.   Their faces inches apart.

"K—-Kilala mo ako?" Pat asked nervously.

Pat can hear her heart beat and blood rush into her ears.

Krystal started speaking.  Her voice deep.  Her tone uncaring.

"Ano nga ba meron si Krystal Tanchingco... ganda, kayamanan, kasikatan o sadyang usok at mga salamin ito sa isang spoiled na anak ng isang failing business conglomerate?"

Pat realized that Krystal just memorized her article word per word.

"Photographic memory. It comes in handy sometimes. People do not really expect me to have a brain especially being an Oxford dropout," she whispered near Pat's ear.

She was trying to intimidate the hell out of the reporter who made her life a mess...

and it was working.

"Ano nakita mo kanina,"Krystal asked tersely.

"Wala ako sasabihin. I promise. What I witnessed there was not for a scoop. I am sorry I had to witness that," Pat answered with cold sweat running down her forehead.

Krystal smiled arrogantly as she inched closer to her. Chuckling as she said the words, "and you expect me to believe that?"

"Your intent was to ruin my life in your article... so I am sorry, I do not trust reporters like you," she added.

With that Krystal's hand grabbed onto Pat's iPhone as she tried to get the phone out of her hands.

The two of them struggled to get the phone out of each other's hands. Krystal was strong, she was taller and she was faster.

But Pat always had a way of getting out of things.

In one swoop, Pat decided to step on Krystal with her gold heel.

"Aray! Fuck," Krystal yelled.

And with that Pat dashed out of the bathroom. She ran like she was playing Patintero as a kid. Not a care in the world as she bolted.   The wind was on her face and she sprinted.

She ran so fast - she did not realize she was now barefoot and only holding on to only one shoe.

When she got to her old car, she was panting as she realized she had no left shoe.

She kissed her iPhone as she realized it was safe and sound on her hands.

"Sorry Chanelle sa sapatos mo," she blurted.

—-

Hours have passed. Nothing on social media but a few photos of Krystal announcing the winners.

Meanwhile, Krystal sat in the hotel room, her feet soaking in ice-cold water. She tried to sober up as the alcohol weakened in her body. She was sitting there lazily in the white hotel bathrobe, her face bare showing her Chinita features and her eyes bloodshot from all the controlled tears.

The TV was on as she was watching Fear Street. On her hands were two pieces of items.

There was the ID - The press card of Patricia Lumaban, which she studied so intently. Then on the other hand was the gold shoe.

"What is this? Some fucked up Cinderella?" she asked herself.

It has been hours and in all fairness to the annoying reporter,  she seemed to have somewhat of integrity.

She never posted a scoop on her, the only article on Chikalogy was her presenting an award.

Her foot did hurt but she needed to make the plan work for herself. She needed to get in this reporter's good graces.

She browsed through her phone and went to Patricia Lumaban's account... "Patataspat", her instagram handle.

She quickly requested to follow.

—-

Pat was unable to sleep. Tossing and turning in her ruffled sheets. Stuck on her dilemma and fear of Krystal Tanchingco. She still cannot believe she crushed her foot.

Her phone buzzed and to her shock, it was a message from instagram;

"@theothertanchingco has requested to follow you"

She then looked at her requested messages and there was Krystal's message at the top of her page.

She reluctantly opened it and there was a photo of Krystal Tanchingco holding on to her ID press badge and Chanelle's one golden shoe.

In the photo, Krystal had a scowl and an attractive angas look that made Pat take a second longer glimpse.

"I got your shoe and your ID as my hostages. We need to talk, Tabloid Reporter to Useless Socialite.
We probably need each other. Truce?"

"sorry for scaring you earlier pero siguro quits naman na because you stepped on my toes."

Pat contemplated if she wanted to confirm Krystal as a follower.

Krystal studied the ID badge intently as she mouthed the name, "Patricia Lumaban."

She slid into her bed as she playfully wore the ID badge around her strong and slender neck. She still cannot believe where that Chikalogy article brought her.

"You are going to have a hard time, Tabloid Reporter," she chuckled.

She blared the tv volume as Jackson Wang's Leave Me Loving You was playing again.

—-

In Pat's room that same minute. She hit confirm on her new follower.

"Patataspat now follows you"

(End of Episode 1. Roll Credits to Jackson Wang's Leave Me Loving You)

Don't leave me, loving you
Whatever you do
Don't leave me, loving you
If you tip toe out in the morning, I need a warning

What is Krystal's plan and should Pat trust her?

Will Pat ever use what she found that night as her scoop?

What will happen after this chance encounter?

What happened months ago that is the cause of Pat's tears later?

Abangan. Next episode.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.1K 2.5K 82
"Kung hindi na pwede babalik ka pa ba? Maibabalik pa ba natin kung ano ang hindi natin naituloy noon? Kung hindi na, tama na, ayoko na." "Huli na, hi...
Timeless By L

Fanfiction

2.6K 209 26
Somehow I know you and I would've found each other
3.9K 109 11
Beatrice Royales has a secret. She realized that little secrets become big lies. The cold and ruthless heiress, Beatrice "Bee" Royales mulls over h...
1M 18K 57
"Will you ever get to know the real me behind these walls?" Warning: SPG.