When Will My Life Begin?

By throwmeastory

Pre Movie. A day in the life of a lost princess. More

When Will My Life Begin?

13 0 0
By throwmeastory

AN: Hi. I don't own Tangled, Rapunzel or anything else Disney related. This is set pre movie and based on the song, it was also written in 2015. Enjoy!!!

"It's better to be absolutely ridiculous than be absolutely boring."- Marilyn Monroe

The warm sun on my face wakes me up as the pleasant breeze coming from the open window blows my hair across my nose, making me giggle. Sitting up, I yawn and stretch before leaping out of bed and running downstairs, nearly tripping over my locks. Sticking my head out into the fresh air, I inhale the beautiful scent of the flowers in the box. Mother left the afternoon before to go somewhere and wouldn't be back till tonight and maybe if I was lucky she'd bring me back some new things!

Today, I have a lot of tasks to finish.

I wash and dress, then make breakfast for me and Pascal. Eggs and an apple for him, fresh fruit and cold milk for me, I don't know how Mother keeps the food cold and fresh but it was amazing, however she did it, I wasn't sure. A perfect way to start a hot day, a fresh meal and a lovely chilly wind streaming through the window. Putting the dishes on the side for later, I grab my watering can and get to work, it's five to seven after all.

After watering the flowers outside, I start on the rest of the chores, talking to my only friend as I went along. Sweeping the floor, I tell him all about my dream last night. The one I've had before about the bright lights with the sun symbol on the side and the strange faces, a man and a woman crying over an empty cradle. Shaking my head, I quickly move on and tell him about what we would bake today.

Mother hated me mumbling so I take every chance I get to practise talking without doing so.

When I had polished and waxed, I gather the laundry and get to scrubbing it clean, humming and singing until it was done. Putting it on the line to dry and darning anything that needed to be fixed, I move my hair out of the way and begin to mop up, stopping to have a cup of water every once in a while. Shining up the metal, I remove all the candles and put them aside for later, getting rid of the wicks and scraping of any excess as I go. Sweeping up again, I look up at the clock, sighing as it only read twenty past seven.

Finishing the chores, I stare at my hands. They are sore and cracked from all the work and I have a cut on my thumb. If I didn't heal them then I won't be able to paint, as the blood was welling up where I hold my paintbrush. Glancing around cautiously, even though I knew I was alone and wrapped some of my hair around my hands before closing my eyes.

"Flower gleam and glow. Let your powers shine. Make the clock reverse. Bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt. Change the fates design. Save what has been lost. Bring back what once was mine. What once was mine."

Opening my eyes, I smile at the now soft skin, flexing my hands without any pain. With nearly all the chores done, I can now start reading! I want to make sure I have all the words imprinted in my head before Mother came back and took them away, replacing them with new ones. Skipping to the shelf with Pascal on my shoulder, I grab them and make my way to my bed, throwing myself on my stomach and opening the first one.

The yellow one is all about Astronomy, I think that how you say it anyway. Flipping the pages, careful not to dislodge the paper I placed in there to show me where I am with my sketching, I search for the one I found last night. It had three points and two lines, one long and one short. The short one was slightly to the side.

Scanning down the page my eyes lock on to the drawing. Yes! Found it! Pyxis!

Closing the book, I place it on top of my sketch book and move on to the second. A purple volume containing facts about Human Biology. Having read most of it, I skip to the part on how to tell how old something in the body was, which was the part I am most intrigued with. Seeing as Mother won't tell me how old I am, I've taken on the task of trying to work it out myself.

The last bit I read claimed that you had to work out your height, so I had stood against the wall and Pascal, whose currently laying on the window ledge on his back in the sun, took my paintbrush in his mouth and made a small dot on the wall. Measuring it with the the broom handle, which was around fifteen inches, I was about four foot and nine inches. The book also said that your chest stops developing at eighteen years of age and mine is still growing. I have also started bleeding.

So I was somewhere inbetween thirteen and sixteen. 

Shutting the book, I move on to the last one. It was a soft green and was about plant based medicines. It was actually quite boring, I don't understand why Mother gave it to me, I can heal almost everything with my hair. Quickly scanning through it, I throw it to the side.

Yep, still as boring as yesterday.

Picking the two useless ones up, I take them back downstairs and put them back on the shelf. Dragging the chair to the window, I decide to change my routine and knit before playing my guitar and painting. Once I have done this, then I can move on to the things I really enjoy! Grabbing the wool balls in which the pins where stuck, I carefully lift my half knitted pink and purple hand warmers, then I sit down in the chair and begin.

All that's left to do on these is to knit the cuffs and then I can sew on some pretty patterns, maybe something summery. Then in the winter, when I look down it will make me smile. In the autumn I can make some with leaves on. I can make sweaters to match too!

I did all the darning yesterday, so I would have extra time to finish my warmers today. I want to start on making a blanket as soon as possible, a big one with lots of colours. I have already knitted lots of squares, all I have to do is put them together. I have a large ball of pink wool I've been saving that I want to use for it.

Casting off the last stitch on the right warmer, I squeal out loud as I hold them up to the sun. Pascal jumped onto the arm of the chair, looking at them before bowing his head in a nod, approvingly eyeing my work. They were going to be so cosy when it got colder. Putting my equipment back into it's place, I take a peek at the time.

Twenty past ten.

Hooking my painting box up to my hair, I get it and myself upstairs and into my bedroom. Swiping my sketch book of the side table, I put on my headband, to keep the hair out my face and sit down on the stool. Dipping my brush in the white paint, I start to transfer the images on my pad to the walls next to the window, so when I'm stargazing I can find the constellations. Hopefully, I'll have time this afternoon to sketch and paint the rest from the book.

My thoughts wander off into a strange direction as my brush forms Orion, the most popular constellation according to the book. Did lots of people like to stargaze? Was it a normal hobby for girls my age? Can people do it together?

I've asked Mother to buy me a telescope but she refused, saying someone could hurt us if they saw me while using their's. Someone might come and take me away and we would never see each other again. As I painted Lyra, I felt guilty that I have had that thought in the past, more than once. I want to go outside so badly but I don't want to if it could cause hurt to her.

A dry tongue catches my tear before it can fall into the paint, the soothing cold and dry scales rubbing against my cheek, trying to comfort me. Smiling at my only friend, I stand up and take a few steps back to judge my work. I've painted nineteen constellations today, so far. Once I had drawn the rest from the book and painted them onto the wall, I would have all eighty eight and room to spare.

The thought cheers me up as I clean up, leaving the box here for later. 

Washing my hands, my stomach grows. It's nearly lunch time! Oh, we have some left over pork meat and some blueberries. I can make both of my favourite types of pie!

Getting to work, I make a Rapunzel sized pork pie first, knowing it'll take longer to cook. Placing it in the oven, I have not only time to make a small blueberry pie but to practise my guitar. Once the fruit pastry joins the other one, I pick up my instrument and start to strum away, stopping every once in a while to tune it properly. Not knowing where to finish one song and begin another, I play straight through until the timer for the oven goes off.

.....................................................

After lunch and a fifteen minute nap, I plan out what time I have left. Mother's normally comes back around seven. It's nearly one now, so taking away time to clear up and prepare for whatever she's bought back for dinner, I have over five hours! What shall I do first?

Oh, I know!

Dragging the massive tub on the mat I put down, I begin the job of boiling water to wash my hair with. Using every big pot I can fit near the freshly stoked fire, I play a quick game of chess with Pascal and practise my ballet while we wait. When it is hot enough, I get out the sheet and ribbons I use to wrap my hair in when it was wet, so when it was on the floor it didn't get dirty. Also, I pick up the bottle of oil Mother made for me, it smells so nice.

Tipping the water and the oil in, I place all my hair inside the tub and swish it about with my hands, the dirt melting away, leaving my hair completely clean. Bending forward I submerge my scalp in the hot water and run my hands through it and use a cup I made specially to was the back of my head, helping the oil do it's thing. Wringing my hair out over the tub, I wrap it up and leave everything where it is, for now. The water will be too hot for me to move anyway at the moment.

Pascal's tail is too sore for me to use to utilize for my ventriloquy, so after some refreshments we go to the candle room. Throwing the used wax into the pot to melt, I take the time to do my stretches. Once it's melted, I pour it into the mould and let it set into a block, to use at a later date. After making thirty more candles, leaving them to dry and taking some pre made ones upstairs, I leave them on the table to place around the tower before Mother came home.

I spend the next forty minutes fashioning a vase before leaving it to dry and taking another with me to paint, placing it on the table with the candles and the paper mache owl I made a few days ago. Hiking upstairs with a cup of water, I sew the finishing touches onto the dress in the corner, adding the laces in the front before taking it of the mannequin and hanging it in my wardrobe. Sitting on my bed, I copy the pictures from the book then retreat over to the wall and complete my current masterpiece, I hope white paint would show in a dimmer light. Maybe if I wasn't allowed a telescope, I could ask for a pair of binoculars, surely they can't be dangerous.

Mother knows best, though. If she says no, then it's for a good reason. All she wants is to keep me safe. She loves me.

Going downstairs, I wash the paint off me and bake some cookies, using the time they are in the oven to put together the last pieces of the jigsaw me and Pascal have been doing. After they're cool and I've put them into a jar I made, a purple and yellow cylinder with small green flowers on the lid, I retrieve the brush I bought down with me and begin the long and tedious process of tending to my long, golden hair. Smoothing out the tangles hurts slightly but apart from that, it's so boring. The only thing I enjoy about it is once it's done, I can use it to climb upstairs instead of trudging up the stairs.

...................................................

At five to seven, me and Pascal are playing darts while waiting for Mother. Well, I'm playing and he's sat on my shoulder watching. In the last ten minutes of the game, I've scored over a thousand points. I'm getting better and better every day!

Going through a mental checklist, I tick off everything to make sure it's all done, I don't want Mother to be angry.

All washing up, sweeping and cleaning is done. The tub has been emptied and put back in it's place along with the chair I used this morning, fresh candles are in every holder. All my sketches have been hidden safely underneath the floorboards of my bed, the Astrology book is back on the shelf and the paintbox is clean and where Mother keeps it. My decorated creations are drying somewhere safe.

Laundry is folded neatly away and the clothes horse is in the cupboard. Everything I might need to cook dinner is ready and the table has been set. I'm fresh as a flower and my hair's ready to pull her up. I just hope she's had a good day.

I have.

I always do when mother's away.

"Once you choose hope, anything's possible."- Christopher Reeve

AN: So, what did you think? Please let me know. Tangled is one of my favourite Disney princess films.What's yours? Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
22.9M 802K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...
1.3M 54.6K 100
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC