Assassination 2136

By LahTay13

The future ain't all rainbows and sunshine, not under the dome. The year is 2136. The Earth has become uninha... More

A foreword
Chapter 1: In My Sights
Chapter 2: To Blend with the Crowd
Chapter 3: A Fleeting Sunrise
Chapter 4: From Guns to Shovels
Chapter 5: Vices
Chapter 6: Perfect Relationships
Chapter 8: Justifying the Means
Chapter 9: Path to a Good Life
Chapter 10: The Dance of Danger
Chapter 11: Obedience through Chaos
Chapter 12: Aftermath
Chapter 13: Busy Hands, Busy Mind
Chapter 14: The Door
Chapter 15: MASH Recipe 101
Chapter 16: The Ties That Bind Us
Chapter 17: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 18: Hero, or Terrorist?
Chapter 19: To Fall

Chapter 7: Eco-Disaster

25 11 19
By LahTay13

The brochure said the eco-talk was two days away. With all the hard work done for me, I felt almost lazy. Whenever I worked a job I was always up early and getting home late, but those two days I slept in with Dovima, and spent my afternoons with her. We didn't really 'cook' per se, but heating the MASH up and choosing the flavour packets together at the store was actually really nice. I don't enjoy spending money, but I enjoy the mundane part of my life when I'm not planning to violently murder someone for money.

Yet, the night of the eco-talk came. As I said earlier, the eco-talk was in the better area of town, the higher socio-economic status suburbs. As such, it was pricier to catch the train there, costing a whole extra cred just to get there. My rifle was tucked under my coat, and the train to the richer area of LA was significantly nicer than the trains I was used to catching. Stepping onto the train, there was... No smell. No urine, alcohol, sweat. It just.... Didn't smell.

It was also physically cleaner, my shoes did not stick to the floor as usual, and sitting down I was greeted with smooth, clean fabric rather than rough, clumped together lumps of carpet sewn onto creaky chairs. The train was also silent, barely a groan or snap to be heard.

When I got to my stop, the train doors slid effortlessly open and I found myself in a well maintained subway station. As I climbed up the stairs, polite and mild mannered people shot me side eyed looks as I stared slack jawed at the city around me. It was nothing like any other part of the city I had seen. Traffic flowed smoothly, obeying the rules and not a horn in ear shot. People walked on their side of the footpath, exchanging friendly greetings to one another.

Crap. I really stood out.

Yet despite being so different to my suburb, it still held the telltale signs of obsessive capitalism. People hurried about, often pushing past one another. The sky was clouded with smog, it was like a thick soup that lay over the entire city. The sky scrapers disappeared into the sky above, hiding behind the dark clouds. The trash cans were overflowing. Coffee cups, MASH containers, all precariously balanced on top of one another. One gentle breeze and the tower would come toppling down.

I hurried to the address on the post it note in the folder. As I entered the building I was greeted with a warm and welcoming reception area, with marbled floors and hanging chandelier lights. I walked past the foyer, keeping my head down to avoid the questionable glare of the receptionist. I went to push open the stairwell access when I heard a ding to my right. I whipped my head around and saw an elevator opening, with two women exiting. They were chatting loudly amongst themselves, something about the President and his antics. But I didn't care about them, or the President.

I cared about the elevator.

I quickly jumped in, pressing the 'close doors' button. I stared at the panel on the wall for a minute, unsure what to do next. I pulled out the sticky note, floor 28 was scrawled on the yellowed paper in cursive writing. So, I tentatively pressed the button with that number on it and felt the elevator hum with life. I felt myself rising, going higher and higher as the elevator climbed the building.

It was thrilling.

The doors opened on floor 28 with a ding, and I slowly stepped out. Instead of apartments or an office space, I found myself in a construction area completely devoid of any people. There were tarps everywhere, and walls half built or half destroyed, I could not tell. I made my way to the corner of the building, facing where the eco-talk would be. I then produced my rifle, unfolding it from the trench coat.

As I sat, I saw a small note lying on the floor.

"Saggitaria" it said on the front. I opened the note, to see handwritten pen scrawled on the inside. It was the same hand writing as in the folder I had received. There was also an earpiece inside, which I switched out for my own earpiece.

"Wait until Lindsay is called forward. Let her finish her speech. Afterwards, she will be escorted out the back of the building into the car park. That's where you take her out" was what the note said. Great. Not only do I have to attend an eco-talk, but I have to listen to one? Oh man.

I turned the ear piece on, and found myself able to listen in to the talk. I squinted through the sniper lens, pointing it directly at the podium next door. It was through a glass panel roof, so I was able to see clearly but would be unable to take a shot through there without hurting all the people in the building with shrapnel from the pane. My client must have known this, hence why they want me to wait.

"And now for our next speaker, the leading expert on theoretical biology, Lindsay Burge!" An announcer squawked, hidden from view. Lindsay stepped up to the podium, looking identical to the photo in the file I had received. Just in time, 8pm.

Five minutes.

She had been greeted with a loud applause, and was waving regally at the crowd. There were at least three hundred people in the room, the swarm of people applauding in unison. She then leant towards towards the mic, causing the crowd to silence themselves. She had them wrapped around her finger.

"Thank you for that warm welcome," she smiled. I could hear her breathing, loud and unsteady. She was nervous.

"For a decade I have been the head of the theoretical biology department, and our main focus has been how can we introduce plant matter into our MASH mixture. The Government has been striving to improve the nutritional component, to keep it's citizens happy and healthy," she said. The crowd cheered at this, and I rolled my eyes. It's easy to love the Government when they're on your side.

Three minutes.

"But today, I would like to talk to you about my passion project, something I have been working on for a while now. It's about reclaiming the Earth, so we don't have to live in the dome anymore," she continued. The crowd was silent, over the ear piece I couldn't even hear a peep or a murmur. They were completely engaged, hanging on to every word she said.

"If my calculations are correct, using the strategy I have designed we can make the air breathable again by 2165. That's within our lifetime!" The crowd cheered at this once more, egged on my Lindsay's passionate demeanor.

It sounded like a fantasy. No more dome, no more crowded living quarters. We could be free, with clean air. I was no expert on theoretical biology, but it was easy to see why Lindsay was so popular with the crowd. She was selling them a new world, a fresh start. Who wouldn't want that?

"Thank you for your time, please make sure to check out my research, and I bid you all a good night," Lindsay concluded.

One minute.

As planned, Lindsay was exiting the back of the stage that led to the car park. I was crouched, one knee underneath me, the other hugged close to my chest. I was using the window ledge as a prop. Lindsay exited the building, walking briskly to her car. She was fumbling with her keys, taking her time.

I lined the shot up, cross hairs pointing directly on her head. Deep breath in. My hands are steady, calm, I am in control. My finger moves over the trigger, hovering as Lindsay stands by her car. I then exhale, forcing my breath out of me and emptying my lungs completely of air. Shedding all forms of doubt, shaking off every fear hiding within me.

And I pull the trigger.

I hit my mark, and Lindsay crumples to the floor. The silencer works perfectly, not a sound to be heard from the gun. However, people soon come out from the eco-talk. They see her body lying dead on the ground, a trickle of blood trailing from her forehead. The screams follow. Panic ensues.

I pack my gun up, and fled the scene.

***
So what do you guys think? Why was Lindsay chosen to be assasinated? Something sus is definately afoot 👀

Stay tuned for the next update in two days time. Things are definately starting to heat up now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73 0 25
Five ordinary high schoolers living their youth, until an unforeseen death rattles their minds upon the entrance of a transfer student, only connecti...
Entirely Mine By marelizxx

Mystery / Thriller

50.9K 1.1K 135
Deception. Betrayal. Mistrust. It seems the closer Rayne gets to the truth, the more she finds herself wanting to run away from it. It's complex and...
820 460 40
I've never been able to taste fear before, but I do now, it lingers in the air. Like a flame. Kindled by the president, fed by the citizens, and I'm...
Inexplicable By .

Science Fiction

315 33 17
In the year 2117, constant pollution and nuclear bombing has taken its toll. The human body itself has gotten to point where the immune system is slo...