Destined for Disaster ✔️

By MarjorieK64

*Book 1 of the Destined Series* Every year, King Alder opens the doors of the Royal Prison for people to fin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Author's Note

Chapter 37

2.4K 154 362
By MarjorieK64

It had been over three weeks since Austin had last set foot in Alder's castle. And what weeks they had been.

His teleporter delivered him on top of the hill where the castle stood. The building rose up high above the woods – a beacon for everyone within the territory to see. It was built on top of the highest hill in the Royal Wolves territory, sticking out above everything else, the tips of the towers shrouded in clouds. The woods started at the foot of the hill, with buildings built all along the slope – a whole city built on an angle.

"Wait here for me," he told his teleporter, and set himself in motion towards the edifice. There were places he'd rather be. In fact, there were few places he wouldn't rather be. The castle was imposing, and the atmosphere was one of strictness and etiquette. Austin liked rules, but there were too many and he could never remember them all.

Alder was already expecting him, so the guards gave him no trouble when he arrived at the entrance. He gave his name, they searched him – another thing he despised – and then another guard escorted him inside.

"The king will receive you in his study, Beta," the guard said, as though Austin could be bothered to care where he had this conversation. He nodded and followed, his eyes flitting around to take in as much art and architecture as he could. He had never seen human castles, but he imagined that if a human were to wander into this building by mistake, they wouldn't soon guess they were in werewolf territory.

It occurred to him he had never seen the king shift, nor prince Aaron or the queen, and he wondered if they ever did. Somehow he could hardly imagine it, and he pitied their wolves.

"Right in here, Beta." The guard halted and nodded towards two mahogany doors. Another pair of guards was stationed beside it, one of which knocked and slipped inside the room to announce Austin's arrival.

Ellis liked to stand on ceremony, but that was nothing like this. Austin moved his weight from one feet to the other, glancing around him once more. It was the first time he had gone to the castle unaccompanied. He usually had Ellis to do the talking for him. Not this time, though, and that was a good thing. For once, Austin had plenty to say.

"You may enter," the guard said, returning. He beckoned and, sucking in a quick breath, Austin went in.

Even though Alder was past his prime, he was still imposing. Grey had only just started invading on his dark hair, and his features were still sharp. Two piercing blue eyes resided above a strong nose; his shoulders were broad, his frame tall. He was an alpha if Austin had ever seen one, and he hardly knew how to meet the man's gaze.

Alder smiled, and his stern face broke into friendliness. He rose from his desk and approached Austin, shaking his hand and clasping a hand on his shoulder. "It's good to see you again, Austin," he said. "Please, sit." He gestured to a chair across from his desk and Austin found his feet moving there.

"Thank you for receiving me," he said, setting himself down.

Alder returned to his own seat and nodded. "Of course. I always have time for your family. I assume you're here to discuss your mate."

Austin inclined his head. "Yes."

"How long has she been with you now? Has to be close to a month."

"Three weeks. A bit more."

Alder leant back in his chair, regarding Austin. "So, how are things going? I remember you were quite hesitant."

How were things going? Julie had dumped him, which meant all of it had been for nothing. Taking Ryleigh back to Midnight Moon, getting to know her, trying with all his might to fight the mate bond – it had all been for Julie, and now that Julie was done with him, there was no reason to be doing any of it at all.

"I am still hesitant," he said. It suddenly felt so long ago that he had met Ryleigh in the Royal Prison. It hadn't even been a month, but it might just as easily have been a lifetime. Funny how quickly he'd gotten used to having her in his life. But all that would end. He had no reason to keep her at Midnight Moon, so if he made her stay any longer he'd be admitting to having feelings for her, which he didn't.

"Will you tell me about her? Has she opened up to you?"

"To an extent." It didn't feel right to discuss her with a man he knew she hated. "Her name is Ryleigh."

Alder nodded slowly, applying the name to what he knew of his prisoner to see if it fit. "Where is she from?"

"Golden Dawn."

"That must have been a disappointment to you."

He shrugged. Was there a rule against shrugging? He really ought to look up a book about etiquette. "She can't help being who she is."

"You are quite right there. Tell me, did you find out why she was in my territory?"

Austin shifted on his chair, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. "She's running from someone. It was a mistake."

"And her resistance?"

"A mistake as well. She's a warrior. Fighting is her instinct. She was afraid."

Alder was silent then, dissecting Austin with his gaze. Austin could guess what he was thinking: that Austin had let himself be influenced by Ryleigh. That he was a poor judge of her character.

"Believe me, I have tried very hard to blame her for everything," he said. "I don't trust her – not at all. I don't think she's innocent. I'm not even convinced she's a good person. But she's not an assassin."

"Are you certain?"

"I wasn't at first, but I have seen other sides of her. She loves stories. She likes spending time with the children. She's become a confidant to Carry. Those things just don't add up."

Alder tapped his fingers on his desk, eyes still fixed on Austin. Was it rude to stare the king down? Was there a rule against that? Or perhaps there was a rule against avoiding eye contact.

"Ellis has kept me briefed on the situation. There have been several escape attempts, haven't there?"

"Well, can you blame her?" It was out before he had time to rephrase it in a more respectful manner. He sat up a little straighter. "She's running from her pack; she's angry with us for imprisoning her; she's scared. And she hasn't escaped in a while now. She's really been trying."

"I believe you."

But Austin could tell he didn't. "Permission to speak frankly, Your Highness?"

A smile tugged at Alder's mouth. "By all means."

"I know the way she has behaved towards you and your family has caused good reason for concern, but quite truthfully I can't say I don't understand where she's coming from. You've silvered her four times. Is it true that she begged you to kill her?"

Alder's lips tightened. "Austin –"

"Is it?" There had to be a rule against interrupting the king.

"I understand that this is a matter close to your heart, but you should mind how you speak to me, Austin."

"Did she beg?" He kept his gaze trained on Alder's, even though his wolf was cowering in his mind.

"Yes. People often say things they don't mean while under the influence of silver." He leant forward, clasping his hands atop his desk. "Look, I understand you disagree with my methods. Was it cruel? Yes. But you must understand something too. Tensions have been rising the past few years. She would not have been the first to make an attempt on my life, or the lives of my family members. I have to take precautions."

"I understand," Austin said. "But four times?"

"I had to be certain."

"You could have just killed her."

Alder's dark brows settled in a frown over his eyes. "Would you really have preferred that?"

"She would have preferred it."

"If she were indeed an assassin, I had to know who she works for. Did I like silvering her four times? Of course not. But she was incredibly hard-headed. She gave me no choice."

"There's always a choice."

Alder released a slow breath. "I have to say, Austin, I did not expect you would grow to care about her this much. Not after I saw how reluctant you were to get acquainted with her in the first place."

"I don't care about her," he said. "Not in the way everyone wants me to. But I'm responsible for her, and as the person responsible for her, I'm here telling you she is no threat to you."

"Does Ellis agree with that assessment?"

"He trusts my judgment."

Alder unclasped his hands. "So you're asking me to pardon her?"

"I think that would be fair."

"You understand she would be free to leave then."

"I do."

If Alder was going to stare at him much longer, he might melt into a puddle of despair. "Do you think she will? Leave you?" Alder asked.

"Yes."

"Is that what you want?"

"Yes," he said, but the word lacked the conviction it had before.

"You still wish to reject her, then?"

"I think it's best."

Alder pursed his lips, nodding. "Can I make an observation?"

Austin made a weak gesture. "You're the king."

He smiled, inclining his head in silent acquiescence. "I have known you all your life, Austin, and this is the first time you have ever fallen out with me."

Austin flinched. Surely there was a rule against disagreeing with the king. "I apologise."

"I do not require an apology," Alder said, shaking his head. "I want you to think about where this is coming from. This is not nearly the most radical decision I have made over the years, yet this is the first time you have questioned me."

It was true.

"You realise that if I pardon her, she will leave." Alder cocked a brow. "She will reject you and you will never see her again."

"That's her right."

"And you can live with never seeing her again?"

He swallowed. "If that is her decision, I'll have no choice. Keeping her prisoner is not going to change her mind. It'll only make her hate me more."

"Perhaps. And you are certain?"

Austin nodded. "She's suffered enough."

For one agonising moment, Alder studied him. "Very well," he said. "Your mate is a free woman." 

______

A/N: Ryleigh's free at last. Do you think she's going to leave? 

Thank you for reading! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

965K 29.8K 62
Regal Eclipse Pack Series is now available on Kindle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CT96742X?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tkin Book 1 of...
3.9M 172K 49
Book three in 'The Bond Series' This book is Ryker and his mate's perspective of the war and past that:) ---------------------------- In a time of u...
1.5K 187 20
Autumn- I am not wolfless but my silver wolf needs my mate to unlock its potential. I'd been mateless for years until the fight that suddenly erupted...
1.1M 31.7K 29
Tyler has been kept in the dark. She knows virtually nothing about werewolves and she rarely ever gets to shift. Then, men break into her house, slau...