โœจ Half my soul โœจ Kazโœ–๏ธOC.

By Lordcoldemort

Villainy was nothing new to him, and even murder was understandable and clear-cut. But love was still a myste... More

โœจ PILOT โœจ
This city's gonna break my heart
Don't go chasing all the headlights
The flavour of greed
Dancing underneath the skies of lust
All my tears have been used up
Lights will guide you home
Naรฏve I was just staring at the barrel of a gun
I want an ocean view, somewhere
Mummified my teenage dreams
Sweet dreams are made of this
The ice does not forgive
We watch as our young hearts fade
Anywhere, I would have followed you
Where iron meets flesh
Dirtyhands had come to see the rough work done
โœจKaz Brekker didn't need a reasonโœจ

The silence surrounds you and haunts you

818 33 50
By Lordcoldemort

✨✨✨

Wake up look me in the eyes again
I need to feel your hand upon my face
Words can be like knives
They can cut you open
And the silence surrounds you
And hunts you
I think I might've inhale you
I could feel you behind my eyes
You gotten into my bloodstream
I could feel you floating in me
Words can be like knives
They can cut you open
And the silence surrounds you
And hunts you
I think I might've inhale you
I could feel you behind my eyes
You gotten into my bloodstream
I could feel you floating in me
The spaces in between
Two minds and all the places they have been
The spaces in between
I tried to put my finger on it
I think I might've inhale you
I could feel you behind my eyes
You gotten into my bloodstream
I could feel you floating in me
I think I might've inhale you
I could feel you behind my eyes
You gotten into my bloodstream
I could feel you floating in me

✨✨✨

Matthias knew monsters, and one glance at Kaz Brekker had told him this was a creature who had spent too long in the dark: he'd brought something back with him when he'd crawled into the light. Matthias could sense it around him. He knew others laughed at Fjerdan superstition, but he trusted his gut. Or he had, until Nina. That had been one of the worst effects of her betrayal, the way he'd been forced to second guess himself. That doubt had almost been his undoing at Hellgate, where instinct was everything.

He'd heard Brekker's name in prison, and the words associated with him: criminal prodigy, ruthless, amoral. They called him Dirtyhands because there was no sin he would not commit for the right price. And now this demon was talking about breaking into the Ice Court, about getting Matthias to commit treason. Again, Matthias corrected himself. I'd be committing treason again.

Matthias had woken bound and tied to a chair in what looked like a sitting room with faded pink walls, a spiral metal staircase that was almost two storeys in height. After he left Fjerda, this was the homiest place he has been and he felt a bit of comfort. But the grandfather clock and the marble dressing table on the sides looked pricy, he just prayed that they did not break into someone's apartment. Nina was there, along with Jesper. And the girl whose eyes were like the northern lights, her hair was long black and braided, they called her Lin. She was seated with a boy with ruddy gold curls.

(Aeolian's sitting room)

Brekker had started talking about a drug called jurda parem, about an impossibly high reward, and about the absurd idea of attempting a raid on the Ice Court. Matthias wasn't sure what might be fact or fiction, but it hardly mattered. When Kaz finally finished, Matthias simply said, "No."

"I know getting knocked out and waking up in wonderland isn't the friendliest way to start a partnership, but try to open your mind to the possibilities." Kaz told him.

"You could have come to me on your knees demjin, and my answer would be the same." Matthias muttered.

Kaz didn't know the language but he could make out that demjin meant demon, in Fjerdan.

"You do understand I can have you back at Hellgate in a matter of hours?" Kaz pulled a chair and sat besides the girl with emerald eyes.

"Do it. I can't wait to tell the warden your ridiculous plans." Matthias frowned.

"What makes you think you'll be going back with a tongue?" Kaz leaned forward.

"Kaz_" Nina protested.

"Don't pretend to know me, witch!" he snarled, his eyes trained on Kaz. He wouldn't look at Nina. He refused to.

"Without him, there's no job," said Jesper. "We can't break into the Ice Court blind."

Matthias wanted to laugh. "You can't break into the Ice Court at all."

The Ice Court wasn't an ordinary building. It was a compound, Fjerda's ancient stronghold, home to an unbroken succession of kings and queens, repository of their greatest treasures and most sacred religious relics. It was impenetrable.

"Come now, Helvar," said Kaz. "Surely there's something you want."

Aeolian studied the big Fjerdan boy in front of her, he was the tallest among them standing 6'4 in height. He was huge, and his blonde hair was shaved, he has the beautiful blue eyes of the Fjerdans. He was handsome, no wonder Nina fell hard for him, she thought.

"I don't suppose the promise of one million kruge will sway you either." Jesper said.

Brum had warned Matthias that the world was full of liars, pleasure seekers, faithless heathens. And there seemed to be a concentration of them in this room.

Matthias spat. "You can keep your money. Choke on it." Then a thought came to him, he turned his attention to Kaz. "I'll make a deal with you. I won't go with you, but I'll give you a plan for the layout of the Court."

"And what will this valuable information cost me?" Kaz asked.

"I'll give you the plans for nothing." It shamed Matthias to say the words. "If you let me kill Nina Zenik."

The curly haired boy mouth agape. Nina's expression changed. Jesper raised a brow. Kaz, didn't seem surprised. If anything, he looked pleased. He turned to Aeolian, she pressed her lips and gave a nod. Matthias had the uncomfortable sense they both had known exactly how this would play out.

"We can give you something better," Aeolian finally spoke. "We can make you a drüskelle again." Matthias felt the hair on the back of his neck raise, he had heard the beautiful sound of her voice, but where?

He straightened his composure. "Are you a magician, then? A wej sprite who grants wishes? I'm superstitious, not stupid."

"You can be both, you know, but that's hardly the point." Kaz slipped a hand into his dark coat. And gave a piece of paper to the bewitching girl seated besides him, she was another demon. She swayed towards him, like a daydream, she'd drifted in from the next world to burn this one down.

She stood in front of him and his sense of smell kicked in, she smelled exquisite, it was ylang-ylang. The scent he recalled smelling on one of the royals from Shu Han. She read out to him in perfect Fjerdan, and he was shocked she spoke the language as fluent as Nina did, was she Grisha as well?

In light of new evidence, Matthias Benedik Helvar is granted full and immediate pardon for all charges of slave trafficking. He is released on this day,________, with the apologies of the court, and will be provided transport to his homeland or a destination of his choosing with all possible haste and the sincere apologies of this court and the Kerch government.

"What new evidence?" Matthias asked as soon as she was done.

Kaz leaned back on his chair. "It seems Nina Zenik has recanted her statements. She will face charges of perjury."

"Perjury? How long will you serve for that, Zenik?" He questioned.

"Two months," Nina said quietly.

"Two months?" Matthias laugh, long and hard. His body twitched.

The others watched him with some concern.

"Just how crazy is he?" asked Jesper.

Kaz shrugged. "He's not what I'd call reliable, but he's all we've got."

Two months. Probably in some cosy prison where Nina would charm every guard into bringing her fresh bread and fluffing her pillows.

"She can't be trusted, you know," Matthias said. "Whatever secrets you hope to gain from Bo Yul-Bayur, she'll turn them over to Ravka."

"Let me worry about that, Helvar. You do your part." Kaz told him.

If the demon spoke the truth, Matthias would get to go home. The longing for it twisted in his chest, to return home and be welcomed there without the burden of dishonour. With his name cleared, he could return to his life as a drüskelle. And the price would be treason.

"What if Bo Yul-Bayur is dead?" he asked.

"You still get your pardon." Aeolian looked at him.

Matthias glanced at the Shu girl again. He had this deja vu feeling that he had seen her before. He brushed his thoughts off, and thought about the mission Kaz Brekker was smart and he clearly had resources. What if Matthias said no and against all odds Brekker and his crew still found their way into the Ice Court and stole the Shu scientist? Or what if Brekker was right and another country got there first?

Before Nina, before Hellgate, he never would have considered it. Now he found he could make this bargain with himself. He would join the demon's crew, earn his pardon, and when he was a drüskelle once more, Nina Zenik would be his first target. He would make her pay in every way imaginable. Death would be too good. He'd have her thrown into the most miserable cell in the Ice Court. He'd toy with her as she'd toyed with him. He'd offer her salvation and then deny it. He'd gift her with affection and then snatch them away. He would savour every tear she shed and replace her sweet scent with the salt of her sorrow.

The words were bitter in Matthias mouth when he said, "I'll do it."

Kaz winked at Nina, and Matthias wanted to knock his teeth in. When I've dealt Nina her life's share of misery, I'll come for you. He'd caught witches; how different could it be to slay a demon?

The Shu girl folded up the document neatly and handed it to Kaz, who slipped it into his pocket.

"We're going to untie you," said Kaz. "I hope prison hasn't robbed you of all your manners or good sense."

Matthias nodded, Jesper took a knife to the ropes binding him. "I believe you know Nina," Kaz continued. "The guy freeing you is Jesper Fahey our sharpshooter, this is Wylan best demolitions expert in the Barrel. And the lovely girl you're staring to death is our sovereign Aeolian."

Was he that transparent or do the demon read minds? Matthias thought, because he was staring at Aeolian for a while, trying to recollect the deja vu feeling he got with her around.

"Raske is better at demo," Nina said.

"He's not better. He's reckless." Wylan said.

"We should be using Raske," Aeolian said. "He's good under pressure."

"I didn't ask," said Kaz.

Aeolian rolled her eyes, Nina squinted she couldn't tell if Kaz really though Wylan could pull this job off or he didn't want Raske on the team because of Aeolian. The Shu girl and Raske did have a connection, and everyone knew.

"It doesn't matter," said Jesper. "We should still take Raske and leave this baby merch on lockdown in Ketterdam."

When Jesper approached Wylan at the chemical factory to give him the note of Kaz, he didn't know who Wylan was or where he came from. And why Kaz had been coddling Wylan and sending jobs his way, but later on found out that Wylan was the son of Jan Van Eck and he was a runaway.

Both Kaz and Aeolian knew about it but they both had kept it from the others for quite sometime. And when Jesper found out the truth, his irritation on Wylan grew because he didn't expect Wylan to lie to him like that. Kaz and Aeolian were secretive, none could tell how much they knew about each other or how much they hide from the crew. But Wylan was not a thief nor a spy, he was just an ordinary boy and he still lied, that's what pricked Jesper.

"I don't trust Raske." Kaz said.

Aeolian knew that Wylan was trustworthy but he wasn't as good as Raske, and the Ice Court journey was unpredictable, she wanted to protect him from the dangers of the world. But she knew that Kaz had planned this all along and even Wylan wanted in, so she couldn't force him to stay back. She gave a slight nod, Kaz leaned back.

Nina shrugged, she wanted Aeolian to start a quarrel with Brekker because he always get away with what he wanted all the time. Wylan smiled at Aeolian, Jesper was annoyed. Matthias looked confused as ever, he didn't understand what the hell these teenagers were in a quarrel about.

Aeolian then turned to Matthias, "you can call me Lin, big guy, my friends call me that."

"Take out your pen and paper, Wylan. Let's put Helvar to work." Kaz told Wylan.

Wylan reached into the satchel and pulled out a slender roll of butcher's paper followed by a metal case that held an expensive pen and ink set.

Kaz turned to Aeolian, "sugar, stop flirting with the new guy. It's time for the Fjerdan to start talking."

Matthias directed his furious gaze at Kaz. It was almost fun to watch him pit it against Kaz's shark like stare.

Wylan began to sketch as Matthias explained.

The Ice Court was on a bluff overlooking the harbour at Djerholm. It was built in concentric circles, like the rings of a tree. First, the ringwall, then the outer circle. It was divided into three sectors. Beyond that was the ice moat, then at the centre of everything, the White Island.

"The cliffs are unscalable, and the northern road is the only way in or out. You'll have to get through a guarded checkpoint before you even reach the ringwall." Matthias said.

"Two checkpoints," said Aeolian.

"You've been there?" Matthias asked.

"She's a spy, Helvar." Kaz said. "So don't try to act smart. She's watching you."

Matthias glanced at the Shu girl again, who was she? He was more curious then ever.

"If we make it that far, the outer circle is split into three sectors: the prison, the drüskelle facilities, and the embassy, each with its own gate in the ringwall. The prison gate is always functioning, but it's kept under constant armed surveillance. Of the two others, only one is ever operational at any given time." Matthias explained. "The gates weight thousands of pounds and can only be operated from within the guardhouses. And even if you could raise one of them, opening a gate that isn't scheduled for use would trigger Black Protocol. The entire Court would go on lockdown, and you'd give away your location."

A ripple of unease passed through the room, they were all having the same thought: Just what are we getting into? Only Kaz seemed unfazed.

"Put it all down," Kaz said, tapping the paper. "Helvar, I expect you to describe the mechanics of the alarm system to Wylan later."

"Where will they be keeping Bo Yul-Bayur?" Aeolian looked at Matthias.

"Probably here," he said, resting his finger on the paper. "The prison sector. The high-security cells are on the topmost floor. It's where they keep the most dangerous criminals. Assassins, terrorists, Grisha."

Nina looked at Matthias grimly.

Jesper didn't know what history they were chewing on, but they'd probably kill each other before they ever got to Fjerda.

"You guys are going to make this really fun, aren't you?" asked Jesper. "Usually people don't start hating each other until a week into the job, but you two have a head start."

Nina and Matthias cast him twin glares, and Jesper beamed back at them.

"Bo Yul-Bayur isn't dangerous," Aeolian said slowly. "At least not in that way. I don't think they'll keep him locked up with the rabble."

"I think they'll keep him in a grave," said Matthias.

"Operate on the assumption that he isn't dead. He's a valued prisoner, where would he be?" Kaz looked at Matthias.

Matthias looked at the plan. "The buildings of the outer circle surround the ice moat, and at the moat's centre is the White Island, where the treasury and the Royal Palace are. It's the most secure place in the Ice Court."

Kaz and Aeolian glanced at each other and said in unison. "Then that's where he will be."

"Then your quest is pointless," Matthias said. "There is no way a group of foreigners is going to make it to the White Island."

"Hringkälla is coming," Nina said suddenly.

"Be silent, drüsje!" Matthias snapped at her. "You have no right to speak of those things. They're holy."

In Fjerdan drüsje meant witch, and the drüskelle considers Grisha as witches.

"Pray, don't," said Kaz.

Hringkälla. The Day of Listening, when the new drüskelle are initiated on the White Island.

"The Fjerdan royals throw a huge party with guests from all over the world, and plenty of the entertainment comes straight from Ketterdam. Even the best talent from the pleasure houses of West Stave." Aeolian said.

"I thought Fjerdans didn't go in for that sort of thing," said Jesper. "I meant when they're at home."

"It's the one day a year they all stop acting so miserable and actually let themselves have a good time," Nina replied. "Besides, only the drüskelle live like monks."

"A good time needn't involve wine and flesh," Matthias sputtered.

Nina batted her glossy lashes at him. "You wouldn't know a good time if it sidled up to you and stuck a lollipop in your mouth."

"When does this party take place?" Kaz asked.

"It's seasonal," Nina said, "on the summer equinox."

"Two weeks from today," Aeolian noted.

Kaz cocked his head to one side, his eyes focused on something in the distance. "Always hit where the mark isn't looking."

"Scheming face," Jesper whispered to Aeolian.
She nodded. "Definitely."

"At the prison, they won't care about who's coming in, just anyone trying to get out." Kaz gloved finger slid sideways to the next sector. "At the embassy they won't care who's going out, they'll just be focused on who's trying to get in. We enter through the prison, leave through the embassy. We'll use the Elderclock to coordinate our movements."

"Will we enter disguised as guards?" Wylan asked.

"Nina, Matthias and Lin are the only ones who speak Fjerdan." Jesper looked at Wylan.

"I speak Fjerdan," Wylan protested.

"I bet you speak Fjerdan about as well as I speak moose." Jesper muttered.

"Moose is probably your native tongue," mumbled Wylan.

"We enter as we are," Kaz said. "As criminals. The prison is our front door."

"Let me get this straight," said Jesper. "You want us to let the Fjerdans lock us in jail. Isn't that what we're always trying to avoid?"

"Criminal identities are slippery." Kaz explained. "They'll be counting heads at the prison gate, looking at names and crimes, not checking passports or examining embassy seals."

"Because no one wants to go to prison, genius." Aeolian glanced at Kaz unamused.

Kaz flicked his sleeve, and two slender rods of metal appeared between his fingers. They danced over his knuckles then vanished once more. "You let me take care of the cells."

Aeolian almost smiled, "you're a bad idea but I like bad ideas."

The others seemed remotely interested in Kaz and Aeolian, but Matthias was watching them unable to understand their conversation.

"Will Yul-Bayur come willingly?" Nina asked.

Aeolian turned to her, "we need to use the safe word when we get to him, Sesh-uyeh."

The way she speaks Shu, and the way she pronounced the words, they wanted her to repeat it again. The language sounded musical coming from her lips.

"What does that mean?" Jesper asked.

Nina smirked at Kaz, as he arched a brow. He didn't know what that mean. In Shu, sesh-uyeh meant heartsick and the heartrender knew Kaz Brekker was heartsick.

"You have no idea what you're up against." Matthias folded his huge arms.

"But you do, Helvar. I want you working on the plan of the Ice Court every minute until we sail. No detail is too small or inconsequential. I'll be checking on you regularly." Kaz told Matthias.

➖➖➖➖➖

"We're done here," Kaz finally said. "I'll send word to each of you after I find us a ship, but be ready to sail by tomorrow night."

"So soon?" Aeolian asked surprised.

"We don't know what kind of weather we'll hit, and Hringkälla is our best shot at Bo Yul-Bayur. I'm not going to risk losing it." He said slowly. Then he rose up and walked towards the kitchen, where he had stacked a bunch of kruge. Nina was making coffee when Kaz walked in opened the top cabinet, and pulled out the black bag. She wasn't surprised that Kaz had kept his stuffs around Aeolian's apartment because the whole of Ketterdam is like a big safe for Kaz Brekker.

Matthias was seated on the rocking chair, he had never sat on one of these before and after he did, he didn't know how to leave. Kaz entered the sitting room and counted four slender stack of kruge and handed one over to Jesper. "This is for bullets, not bets. Wylan, make sure his feet don't mysteriously find their way into a gambling den, understood?"

"I don't need a nursemaid," Jesper snapped. Nina walked in holding a mug of milk coffee and sat besides Aeolian, who was going through the drawings of the Ice Court.

"More like a chaperone, but if you want him to wash your nappies and tuck you in at night, that's your business." Kaz ignored Jesper's stung expression and doled kruge out to Wylan for explosives and to Nina for whatever she'd need in her tailoring kit. "Stock up for the journey only," he said. "If this works the way I think it will, we're going to have to enter the Ice Court empty-handed."

Aeolian raised her head up, and neatly arranged the drawings. She was a perfectionist and always poised. But Kaz saw the shadow that passed over her comely face. She wouldn't want to be without her knives anymore than he liked being without his cane.

"And snowflake, I'll need you to get cold weather gear," Kaz told her.

She gave him a nod as she helped herself to a stack of kruge from the bag, when Kaz first introduced her to Matthias he called her their sovereign. But Matthias knew it was just out of humour, but after spending sometime with them he could see that the Shu girl had a mind of her own, she was her own person and the only one among them, that Brekker didn't have a hold on. Because he was a demon and she was a ghost herself.

Kaz turned to the rest of them. "Not a word to anyone. No one is to know you're leaving Kerch. You're working with me on a job at a country house outside the city. That's all."

They all nodded and started to file up, Matthias rose up and walked upto Kaz. "I'd like to have a word with you, Brekker. Alone."

Aeolian cast Kaz a warning glance. Kaz ignored it. She didn't think he could handle a lump of country muscle like Matthias Helvar? He felt a bit insulted.

"Go on, Lin," he said.

She whispered, "Wanden olstrum end kendesorum. Isen ne bejstrum."

Kaz squinted, he couldn't understand what she was saying. But he knew that she was speaking Fjerdan. And it meant 'the water hears and understands. The ice does not forgive.' Before he could even ask her the meaning, she vanished just like that.

Matthias lunged for him. Kaz let it happen. He'd been expecting it. Matthias clamped one filthy hand over Kaz's mouth. The sensation of skin on skin set off a riot of revulsion in Kaz's head, but because he'd been anticipating the attack, he managed to control the sickness that overcame him. Matthias other hand rooted around in Kaz's coat pockets, first one then the other.

"Fer esje?" he grunted angrily in Fjerdan. It meant 'where is it?' He was searching for the pardon.

Kaz slipped away easily. He smacked him behind the right leg with his cane. Matthias collapsed. When he tried to shove up again, Kaz kicked him. "Stay down, you pathetic skiv."

Again, Matthias tried to rise. He was fast, and prison had made him strong. Kaz cracked him hard on the jaw, then gave the pressure points at his huge shoulders with the tip of his cane. He grunted as his arms went limp and useless at his sides. Kaz flipped the cane in his hand and pressed the carved crow's head against his throat. "Move again and I'll smash your jaw so badly you'll be drinking your meals for the rest of your life."

Matthias stilled, his blue eyes alight with hate.
"Where is the pardon?"

Kaz crouched down beside him and produced the neatly folded document from a pocket that had seemed empty just a moment before. "This?"

He flopped his useless arms, the first time this happened was back at Hellgate when Aeolian hit him with her fist and now Kaz. Were they partnering up to break his arms? He couldn't tell.

Then he released a growl as Kaz made the pardon vanish in thin air. It reappeared between his fingers. He turned it once, flashing the text, then ran his hand over it, and showed Matthias the seemingly blank page.

"Demjin," muttered Helvar.

Kaz had learned sleight of hand from the cardsharps and monte runners on East Stave, and spent hours practising it in front of a muddy mirror he'd bought with his first week's pay.

Kaz knocked his cane gently against his jaw. "For every trick you've seen, I know a thousand more. You think a year in Hellgate hardened you up? Taught you to fight? Hellgate would have been paradise to me as a child. You move like an ox–you'd last about two days on the streets where I grew up. This was your one free pass, Helvar. Don't test me again. Nod so I know you understand."

Matthias pressed his lips together and nodded once. Rotty and Dirix appeared to watch over Matthias as Kaz left.

➖➖➖➖➖

Kaz saw Aeolian and Raske seated on a bench together, it was a rare sight for her to be in the open with her hair tied up in a high ponytail sharing a tub of ice cream, with a boy. He didn't know the relationship between them, but he could see the connection. And seeing them together annoyed him. Raske was just some days younger than Kaz, he was as tall as him standing 6 foot in height, he had been a part of the Dregs for some months and he came from the Wandering Isle. He always wore his crown beanie and he's never seen without it.

(Raske)

Even though he was an expert in demo and he had his ways around science, Kaz really didn't know the guy. He was very reserved just like Aeolian, but he trusted the Shu girl but with Raske it was different. Her eyes unexpectedly caught Kaz's gaze and he froze, he didn't want her to see that he was staring at them but it was too late, she already did. She said her goodbyes to Raske and walked towards Kaz who was consulting his watch.

"Hope you didn't blurt out the plan to your crush," Kaz muttered as Aeolian appeared holding the half eaten tub of vanilla ice cream.

"What if I did?" A light smirk passed her face, she don't understand why Kaz turns sour for no reason.

He studied her face, hoping that she didn't tell Raske about the Ice Court heist, because he knew love is strange and it makes a person do stupid things. His jaw ticked, were these two in love? He could never tell with Aeolian, she was just too mischievous and flirtatious. His temper rose, even thinking about them together.

"He was just showing me how the Baleen works," Aeolian said as she got a weird vibe from Kaz.

"Hmm," he sounded uninterested. But he knew what kind of a product Baleen was and it's importance, if Raske was finally done with it before the journey it would be a boon for them all.

She scooped the ice cream and said. "The Ice Court had been built to withstand an onslaught of armies, assassins, Grisha, and spies. There will be other teams out there, trained soldiers and spies, people with years of experience."

Kaz replied, "But it hasn't been built to keep us out. This isn't a job for trained soldiers and spies. It's a job for thugs and thieves."

He saw her scooping another spoon full of ice cream, and he couldn't help himself but say. "If you want out, just say so." Because after he saw her with Raske and that tub of ice cream, something ticked in him, something he thought never existed.

She looked at him a bit in disbelief, she wasn't expecting this from him. "You need me, Kaz."

"I need your skills, Lin. That's not the same thing. You may be the best, but you're not the only one." He said it even though he didn't mean it, because he wanted her to feel the bitterness he was feeling.

"There's a difference between confidence and arrogance." She was annoyed by now, Kaz always riled her up but this was different, this felt personal.

He never let his emotions cloud his judgment but with her, he turns into a totally different person. He turned his back on her. "And when I want a sermon on that, I know who to come to."

She didn't say a word, didn't want to show just how angry he'd made her, she left in a blur like she always did. What had gotten into Kaz Brekker? She could leave Kerch anytime she wanted. But if she did she'll leave not only her friends but Kaz vulnerable as well without her to gather secrets. But hadn't he told her that she was easily replaced? If they managed to pull off this heist and return to Kerch, her percentage of the haul would be more than enough to relocate and start a new life. She'd owe Kaz nothing, and there would be no reason for her to stay. She had never been so mad before in her life, until now. Kaz always knew how to push her, but never this way and was it because it was Kaz that she felt this angry, she couldn't tell.

The heart is an arrow. It demands aim to land true.

You have to know where you want to go before you get there.

The problem was that she was no longer certain what she was aiming for. Some months ago, it had been easy, her life in Shu Han and working as a spy for the Empress was all that she knew. Then it had been getting to Ketterdam, and after that, surviving each day. Now she didn't know what she really wanted in life. Just this minute, she'll settle for an apology, she decided. And she won't board the boat without one. Even if Kaz Brekker isn't sorry, he can pretend. He at least owes her his best imitation of a human being.

Kaz had send her to acquire their cold weather gear, along with paraffin and snow goggles. Even though she was mad at him, she was a professional and she couldn't let her emotions get the best of her. As she was scurrying the shops, she came across a florist shop, she had never been to this part of the city before and there the flowers caught her eyes. 'Bleeding heart' the flower got its name because it looked like a bleeding heart.

It was her mother's favourite flower, she passed away when Aeolian was nine.

"Many boys will bring you flowers. But some day you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."

That's what her mother used to tell her, Aeolian was born out of wedlock. Her father used to be in the army, and when her mother was carrying her, in an ongoing war, her father was killed. But her mother always told her, how much her father used to love, her mother.

It was silly for her to even think that someone like her would find love like her mother and father did, even for a little while. And she wouldn't wish love on anyone. It was a guest you welcomed and then couldn't be rid of. She had seen what love did to her mother, she always longed for her father, and that's why her mother loved the bleeding heart. Because her heart bleed, for the loss of her beloved, it represented their love.

She couldn't stop herself but head to the florist and pick up a petal that had fallen and slipped it into her pocket, if they were not leaving for Fjerda, she'd have brought a bunch to take it with her back to her apartment.

The Ketterdam harbours came into view, she could just see the top of one of the Tidemaker towers, where lights always burned. The thick obelisks of black stone were manned day and night by a select group of Grisha who kept the tides permanently high over the landbridge that otherwise would have connected Kerch to Shu Han. Even Kaz had never been able to learn the identities of the Council of Tides, where they lived, or how their loyalty to Kerch had been guaranteed. They watched the harbours, too, and if a signal went up from the harbourmaster or a dockworker, they'd alter the tides and keep anyone from heading out to sea.

"Hello, little ghost."

She spun on her heel, and was face to face with the last person she wanted to see in Ketterdam, Dreesen. When she first came to the city, months ago, she came disguised as a spy he hired from Shu Han and he was the one helped her in recruiting a crew to cross the Shadow Fold to kidnap the Sun Summoner. But when the plan went into waters and they returned empty handed, Aeolian had to face the merchant, and strike a new deal with him because not only did the crew lost one million kruge but Dreesen lost a million on the process because the Empress made a deal to pay two million kruge for the Sun Summoner.

"Hmm," he rubbed his jaws. "I'm still waiting..."

"The year is not over yet, merchant." She folded her arms.

"I told the Empress that you didn't make it back, for a price." He took a step forward.

"And you'd be rewarded handsomely," she said almost hypnotic. "You'll be one among the Merchant Council, before the year comes to an end."

Dreesen wanted to be part of the Councilman and Aeolian had given her word, that she'll make him one, if he lied to the Empress that the crew that went after the Sun Summoner didn't make it, and he leave the crows alone. The merchant didn't really take the 17 year old seriously at first, but then he realised she was one of the best spy out there, so she knew how to create havoc and if she could create a mess in one of the Councilman's life, that leads to his withdrawal, Dreesen can slip right in. And if he's a Councilman, he'll have power and more money, and he could even make up to the one million kruge he never made. A deal he was willing to strike, the Shu girl knew people and what they wanted.

"Very well," he smirked. "I've heard about Councilman Hoede, I can see where this is going..." he said quietly. "But don't think that I won't come for you and your precious barrel rats, if this doesn't play out according to our deal."

"I'd kill a thousand men before I let one make me his slave," she said softly. "Don't threaten me again." And just like that she was gone, Dreesen eyes scanned the surroundings but she was nowhere to be seen. She was really the ghost.

✨✨✨

💰 Raske is inspired by Jug Head from Riverdale 💰 it's a Netflix series based on the characters of the Archies comics, if any of you is wondering 💰

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 80 33
On the run from her past, Lyra makes a mistake which forces her to work for Dirty Hands Brekker. Mission after mission, trust gained and feelings unc...
11.6K 364 9
"What is your name?" "My name will be poison on your lips." Part one: Half my soul. Part two: She's no angel, he's no saint. Part three: Dark Paradis...
192K 4.8K 25
Based off the show (Y/N) is a grisha and Kaz is a mastermind. I do not own any of the characters from Shadow and Bone or Six of Crows except for you.
238K 12.6K 57
ห–โ‹†เฟเป‹โ‚Š๐•ฌ๐–—๐–˜๐–”๐–“๐–Ž๐–˜๐–™๐–˜ ๐•ท๐–š๐–‘๐–‘๐–†๐–‡๐–ž ARSONISTS LULLABY. (l.) all you have is your fire and the place you need to r...