Scarlett's Sister

By DayDreamRomantic

Ella was often mistaken for her sister, Scarlett, they were twins after all, but as soon as they realised whi... More

Chapter One: Stubbornness
Chapter Two: Attraction
Chapter Four: Truth
Chapter Five: Interest
Chapter Six: Curiosity
Chapter Seven: Awe
Chapter Eight: Jealousy
Chapter Nine: Fear
Chapter Ten: Confusion
Chapter Eleven: Belief
Chapter Twelve: Loss
Chapter Thirteen: Courage
Chapter Fourteen: Pride
Chapter Fifteen: Disappointment
Chapter Sixteen: Panic
Chapter Seventeen: Sorrow
Chapter Eighteen: Hope
Chapter Nineteen: Horror
Chapter Twenty: Conviction

Chapter Three: Denial

698 33 3
By DayDreamRomantic

It was the perfect day for a barbeque and Ella had a lovely time sitting with Melanie and Ashley.

While Scarlett sat surrounded by her beaux, Ella was entranced as Ashley told her all about his grand tour to Europe a few years ago. It made her long for the day she could cross the ocean and see for herself all the wonderful culture Ashley was describing.

As the day grew later and the sun rose higher, the ladies left the men and retired upstairs for their afternoon nap.

"You had to keep Ashley all to yourself, didn't you Ella, he barely even looked in my direction!"

Ella turned to face her sister who had a furious look on her face.

"Honestly Scarlett, he probably couldn't see past the swarm of men surrounding you. Anyway, why do you care? He's marrying Melly and that's that."

"Melly, is it? Best friends already are you? And I can hardly believe Ashley wants to marry such a bore when he can have me."

"Melly is not a bore and yes, I can see her becoming a very good friend to me. You don't mean that Scarlett, you don't want Ashley, not really, and you know it. Give up your childish dream of being Mrs Ashley Wilkes and you'll be a lot happier, I guarantee it."

Frustrated, Scarlett flung herself on the bed she was sharing with Ella.

"That's what you think."

Ella rolled her eyes at her sister's childish behaviour and laid down next to her.

A little while later Ella quietly got dressed and tiptoed past the sleeping girls out of the room. She headed towards the Wilkes' library. It was the biggest collection of books in the county and Ella couldn't resist a chance to explore it for a new book to read.

Entering the library, Ella happily sighed at the sight of all the books. She decided to start on the left side of the room, looking over each bookcase, picking out books that piqued her interest to peruse.

Meanwhile, Scarlett was getting dressed and without noticing her sisters absence left the room in search of Ashley. Hearing someone coming she dashed into the library, unknowingly joining her sister.

The noise of Scarlett's entry distracted Ella from the book she was currently absorbed by. She turned around to face the door, putting the book down on a nearby table.

"Scarlett?!"

Scarlett whipped around to face her sister.

"Ella, what are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same sister. I was looking for a new book."

Scarlett's nose scrunched up in frustration as Ella was ruining her plan and went back to peeking through the small opening of the open door.

"You have to leave Ella. He'll never admit his true feelings with you in the same room."

"Who won't?"

A male voice called out, it was Ashley Wilkes.

"Scarlett?"

Realising what her sister was planning Ella desperately whispered at her.

"Ashley? Scarlett don't!"

Panicking Scarlett pushed Ella over the back of the sofa just before Ashley entered the room.

"Scarlett, what are you doing in here?"

Ella would have rolled right off the sofa and onto the floor if not for a strong pair of arms catching her around the waist and halting her fall.

Ella found herself staring into a pair of familiar dark eyes. Wearing an expression of surprise and amusement, the man Ella had been admiring earlier was now lying beneath her. In this position, with her hands resting on his chest, Ella realised she was right in her observations earlier. She could feel the muscles of his broad shoulders under her fingertips. Seeing that he was about to speak, Ella quickly put a finger to his lips and tilted her head towards where Scarlett and Ashley were talking.

"I... Ashley I..."

"What is it darling, a secret to tell me?"

"Yes. Ashley, I love you. Oh, I love you so much and I know you love me too! You just can marry that horrid girl, you just can't!"

Ella shook her head in disbelief at her sister's words. Oh Scarlett, what are you doing, she thought. Scarlett's words drifted out of Ella's hearing as she once again became very aware of the very handsome man she was currently lying on top of.

The man had been dosing on the sofa in the library, making himself scarce from the gentleman he had upset earlier with his dim view of the coming war. He was woken by the entry of the girl who was currently lying on top of him.

He had watched her as she began to explore the bookcases which surrounded the room. She looked happier, more at peace than when he had noticed her in the foyer earlier. He guessed books were an escape for her. He thought this an odd pastime for a southern belle, but it only made her intrigue him further.

"Are you okay?"

He gestured to their position, knowing that, as a lady, this girl must be mortified at their current position.

Ella nodded at the man's mouthed words, a faint blush covering her cheeks. She was completely horrified that she was lying on top of a man, a man she didn't even know. A lady should never find herself in such a position.

"Ella, Ashley's gone."

Hearing her sister, strong arms lifted Ella and placed her on her feet. He stood with her, removing his hands from her waist and instead took her hand and placed a gentle kiss upon it.

"Rhett Butler at your service Miss...?"

"Ella O'Hara."

Scarlett's eyes widened in shock at hearing a voice other than Ella's and looked between Rhett, Ella and the sofa.

"Ella?"

Ella shrugged at her sister, after all, it was Scarlett who pushed her over the sofa, unknowingly, onto Rhett.

"Sir, you should have made your presence known."

"And interrupted your heart-warming declaration of love, I think not."

"You, Sir, are no gentleman!"

"And you are no Lady."

Seeing he had sufficient riled Scarlett up, Rhett gave a small bow to Ella.

"I am sorry for the unpleasantness, Miss O'Hara. I hope to have the pleasure of your company again, but perhaps in a more appropriate setting."

Ella blushed at Rhett's words and the grin that accompanied them but gave a nod in reply.

After Rhett had closed the door behind him, Ella's embarrassment overtook her, causing her to need to sit on the sofa. Scarlett rushed around the sofa to sit next to Ella, who had buried her face in her hands.

"Ella, are you okay?"

"He was so close to me Scarlett. I've never been so close to a man!"

Scarlett wrapped her arm around her sister in comfort.

"It's exciting and terrifying at the same time, isn't it. And that Rhett Butler is so intense! Earlier he was staring at me in such a way that I felt he knew what I looked like in my shimmy! I would believe he fits your criteria of a man, Ella."

Ella scowled at her sister before burying her face in her hands once more. This caused Scarlett to realise that Ella was not up to her teasing. She reached up and took her sister's hands in hers, resting them on her lap.

"Ella, are you okay?"

"Yes Scarlett, just a bit embarrassed at being in such a position with a man."

"He didn't try anything, did he?"

"Oh no, Mr Butler was the perfect gentleman, considering the circumstances."

"Gentleman! Haven't you heard about his reputation? He's not received, not even by his own family!"

Before Ella could inquire further, a commotion outside distracted the sisters and caused them to rush to the window. Outside, all the men were mounting their horses and galloping off down the road shouting of war. This caused very different reactions from the O'Hara twins: Scarlett was mad, while Ella was upset.

"Great, now all we're going to hear about is war, as if everybody doesn't talk about it enough already!"

"War means death, unnecessary death. Oh, Scarlett, how many of our boys are going to die?"

"Ashley won't die, he's so brave and such a good fighter."

Ella grabbed her sister's arms and gave her a gentle shake. Ella had read about war and the destruction it brought.

"Scarlett, you don't understand. No one's safe at war, no matter how brave or smart you are. Everyone loses in the end."

"Fiddle-dee-dee, Ella. Don't say such depressing things. I've got to say goodbye to Ashley before he leaves."

Before Ella could say another word, Scarlett had rushed out of the room. Ella considered going after her sister, but instead ungracefully collapsed onto the sofa once more. I've had enough of Scarlett's drama for one day, she thought.

Acknowledging she was alone in the room, Ella allowed herself to ponder over the experience which had just taken place. Dark eyes and strong arms, Rhett Butler consumed Ella's mind. She remembered the feel of his muscular body underneath hers, the tickle of his moustache as he kissed her hand, and the comfort she felt at having his arms around her. Scarlett was right, he certainly fit her description of a man.

Ella shook her head to rid herself of these thoughts, a Lady didn't have such improper thoughts.

I'm not Scarlett and no man will cause me to lose my head, she thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

559K 12.7K 45
''Alpha Ross Lynch of Black Night pack!'' the man said and everybody looked up the stairs. And there stood the most amazing looking man I have ever s...
2.9K 144 24
Book #2 of Girl of Mine ✑ It's the things you thought were yours. It's the lack of control and how you ought to make the most of what you have. Love...
84 10 9
Helga knew it was hard for her and her twin to be taken seriously when her brother was a 'hiccup,' she was blind and the only other pair of twins in...
832 140 23
Book #1 in The Boy series. EDITED!! May need some more just comment on the parts that need it. RE-WRITING!!! All rights reserved Ⓒ Copyright 2022 L...