Darkness' Touch

By silverxxvoid

She had a very perfect life as she was a perfect girl. She had everything she could ask for, a brilliant mind... More

Chapter 0: Perfect
Chapter 1: Acceptance
Chapter 2: New Life
Chapter 3: Strange but better
Chapter 4: The cherished one
Chapter 5: Lingering Presence
Chapter 6: A fateful encounter
Chapter 7: Different
Chapter 8: Small Talks
Chapter 9: The girl who can do anything
Chapter 10: Downtown
Chapter 11: Children
Chapter 12: Magic
Chapter 14: Awakening
Chapter 15: Starting anew
Chapter 16: Assets
Chapter 17: Erased and Unseen
Chapter 18: Visits
Chapter 19: Revealing the Untold
Chapter 20: New purpose ahead
Chapter 21: The struggles of learning something new
Chapter 22: Coming Back
Chapter 23: Whereas the Sky is Dark
Chapter 24: A morning inside the Arkwright Household
Chapter 25: Infra Gehenna
Chapter 26: The Unfortunate
Chapter 27: Broken Pieces
Chapter 28: Upcoming Storm
Chapter 29: A Bloodbath
Chapter 30: Long night
Chapter 31: Tired and Exhausted
Chapter 32: Who knows?
Chapter 33: Warming up
Chapter 34: Sweet Silence
Chapter 35: In the Dark
Chapter 36: A little surprise
Chapter 37: No longer a secret
Chapter 38: Reunion, Goodbyes
Chapter 39: Somewhere, Someone New
Chapter 40: Quiet Company
Chapter 41: Chaos avoided
Chapter 42: New challenge, begin
Chapter 43: Troubles rising
Chapter 44: The day that changed it all
Chapter 45: Purest affection
Chapter 46: A new one, a he
Chapter 47: Power to Tremble Before
Chapter 48: How Much a Gem is Worth
Chapter 49: Devotion
Chapter 50: In the Midst of the Crowd
Chapter 51: Opportunistic Friendship
Chapter 52: A Plethora Of Feelings
Chapter 53: Warmth to remember
Chapter 54: Familiar Yet Foreign, Similar Yet Different
Chapter 55: The Sky Wept
Chapter 56: Mayhem Ensues
Chapter 57: Crippling Revelation
Chapter 58: A Favor for A Favor

Chapter 13: Bloody night

10.7K 657 35
By silverxxvoid

The Arkwright family has a very long history that goes beyond what people of the Kriseon Empire know. They were already there when the Empire was found and stood side by side the Imperial Family during Wars, defending in the frontlines and keeping the peace from the inside.

They were known to be the brain of one of the mightiest nations on the continent and there is no such person who doesn't know the name Arkwright. Home of scholars, well-known figures, and prodigies that ruled in many fields, keeping the power existing in the Empire in balance by sheer presence alone. They were the reason why no one has even gone against the Imperial Family because they have the Arkwrights supporting them in the shadows.

And a person could only dream of entering the estate if they have the abilities required to be able to work under the family that everyone regards as superior in every way. And the first thing on the list is that...

One has to be ready to spill blood to protect what needs to be protected.

"BEHIND YOU MARIEL!!" one of the maids named Clara shouted at Avy's personal maid.

They were fighting against unknown men, but the strange thing was, all they have were knives and nothing else.

"Why can't we use our magic?!" a maid named Louisa exclaimed before knocking out the man in black.

"They're using magic restricting stones." another named Gina stated and picked up the knife on the floor. "Look. It's embedded in the knife's handle." she added.

There was indeed a small black stone in the middle. It may have been the reason why they are unable to use any kind of magic while fending off the perpetrators.

"Stop chitchatting and let's go check the others!" Mariel told them and immediately went out of their shared room, still in their nightwear when they suddenly heard the voice of their lady from her room.

"MARIE!!" although it was just a faint shout because her room was located at the third floor, all of four of them looked at each other in terror after the crashing sound of something that broke in the marble floor followed Avy's yell.

"Call everyone! I will check on the lady–" she was cut off by a knife that flew towards their direction, luckily, it missed her face.

"No..." Clara trailed off when more and more assassins surrounded them.

"It seems like their goal is to kill all of us."

"His Highness and the Young Master are in danger too...!" said Gina, the four of them had their backs against each other so that they will be ready to attack.

But before they could move, the men dropped on the floor one by one, their necks were slit open and only one remained standing.

"You were left alive for a reason." Raux, the Estate's cook said in a low tone, his knife pointed at the assassin's neck. They don't even deserve to be called assassins, compared to him, they were only mere dogs swinging their blades.

"Sir Raux!!" the maid said in delight

The assassin tried to put on a fight but of course, failed miserably after Raux just pinned him on the floor.

"Speak." he commanded but the man didn't answer and stayed still. Raux frowned, he exactly knew what he did and checked his pulse to confirm it.

"He took his own life." he stated.

"AH!!" came the faint voice of the Lady of the House from upstairs.

"S-sir Raux! The lady!" Mariel said in distress.

The trusted cook stood up and ran to their Lady's rescue with such speed that even the maids couldn't keep up with him.

"Go on without me. I'm going to find the others." stated Gina and ran in the opposite direction.

"I'll go check on Young Master." Louisa then followed suit and went in the direction where Ciel's room is located.

"Then I'll be checking on His Highness." Clara said before going to where Light stays.

Mariel paid no mind and just focused on getting to her lady's room much quicker. She was told first thing when she was appointed as Avy's maid that she can't use the family's magic for some reason, hence she's completely fragile and helpless when it comes to physical combats. That is why Mariel was tested if she could protect and defend her mistress in case they come across assassinations and dangerous situations.

'Forgive me, My mistress. I failed you.' she was already on the verge of tears but forced herself to stay composed and focused on the thing at hand.

She arrived in front of Avy's door and Raux was already standing there. But it seems like he was rooted on the spot that he couldn't move. Glancing inside the room with her heart beating so fast, silently wishing that her Miss is safe, the scene that she witnessed before her eyes left her speechless.

She was also unable to move.

~~~

"Who sent you?" Ciel asked fiercely, coldly looking down at the man kneeling in front of him as the tip of his sword was pointed at his neck.

"As expected. The youngest Arkwright is as talented as the rumors stated." the man's mask was already ripped off earlier and his mischievous smile couldn't be hidden.

"Shame. I was expecting names." Ciel pressed on his skin causing blood to trickle down from his blade, but the assassin didn't move an inch nor did he show any signs of fear.

"I wonder if your sister can defend herself just the same." the man grabbed Ciel's blade with his hands, displaying such a wicked grin. "Or if she was stabbed lifeless before could even open her eyes."

Ciel's eyes widened when he finally understood what he meant, but before he could react, the man cut his own neck with the sword that the youngest Arkwright used to make him speak.

The youngest of the house's blood ran cold, he didn't waste any more time on the useless corpse of the assassin and was about to run to the door when it suddenly opened, followed by someone's voice.

"Young Master?!" Louisa, a maid was panting while standing in the doorway.

"Where's my sister?!" instead of the dead man's body that was lying in front of her Young Master, it was the voice of the latter that made Louisa flinch in surprise. Of course, such a petty excuse for an assassin could only scratch the Empire's Prodigy Swordsman at the least.

"S-sir Raux went to the Lady's chambers–" she wasn't even given the chance to finish her sentence because the young master already went past her, hurrying to her sister. Louisa was not taken aback by his behavior in the slightest, his reaction is pretty much normal for the servants after serving the Duchy for some period of time.

Instead of opening her mouth to explain what's happening, Louisa quietly followed Ciel, expecting that he has already grasped the situation. Although as a maid who moves around and a capable mage whose stamina is no less than average, she still struggled to keep up with the boy's speed. He was literally working his legs to go to his sister's room as soon as possible.

"Arkwright! There you are!" they heard the voice of the second Prince coming from the opposite direction. He was also running fast, his sword in his hand with blood covering the blade, and was obviously attacked by intruders as well.

"Where's sister?" he asked

"She's in her room." Ciel answered without stopping.

"Did you get any information from the assassins?"

"The bastard committed suicide."

"They are not here for me alone. It seems like they intend to kill every single person inside this Estate to take advantage of the Duke being away." even though both of them were running so fast, they were still able to start a conversation, being equally talented, they are on par with each other in terms of strength.

"It is obvious that they are at a disadvantage if we are to look on skills alone, they must have brought quite the number to kill us. But I wonder why they only have knives with them." Ciel said

"Those knives are poisoned."

The young Arkwright frown after hearing the Prince's response, now there is even more chance of his sister getting hurt.

"How did you know?"

"I used it on one of them, he was paralyzed after a few minutes but he killed himself before the poison could."

They stopped in front of Avy's room, it was already opened when they arrived, therefore, they didn't waste any more time and entered.

~~~

Mariel could only stare at the sight happening before her, she couldn't come closer. And it wasn't because she was scared.

It was because her lady was covered in flames, so was the assassin who was standing in front of her. Something like a blade of a long sword was piercing through his gut, the whole room was illuminated with red fire and everything that was touched by it was already burning.

"My Lady!" Mariel shouted, it was just then that the fire died slowly, as well as the light coming from it. The only light they had was the moonlight, and it was shining on Avy who stabbed the assassin not using a blade,  but blood.

As soon as she swerved her neck towards their direction, the blade of blood turned back into its original form and scattered on the floor.

'The lady inherited Madam Sabrina's Magic...' Raux couldn't utter a single word, it was already more than a decade since he last saw that kind of magic, and he actually witnessed it once again.

"I was screaming bloody murder to call someone, and look, what a coincidence." Avy sarcastically pointed at the dead body and the pool of blood on her floor.

The two servants snapped out of reality and quickly ran towards their lady.

"This filth right here had the guts to point a knife at me but ended up getting stabbed to death instead–"

She stopped talking when she suddenly felt something warm coming out of her mouth, she coughed on her hand and much to her surprise, more blood greeted her.

"Oh my goodness! My Lady!!" Mariel screamed when she saw her palm.

"Oh...oh fuck." her legs lost all their strength but fortunately, Raux caught her just in time, but then the two young lads entered her room and saw her in such a state, all bloodied and unable to stand.

"S-sister...?"

"Good. You're not dead." Avy heaved a sigh of relief after seeing the two looking fine and well.

"CALL A HEALER NOW!!" Ciel shouted, looking at Mariel before rushing to Avy.

"Y-yes!" the Maid stood up from being seated on the floor holding her lady's hand and ran out of the room.

"We're you stabbed? Cut? Sister! Answer me!" Light also went to her side.

"Y-yeah–" Avy's pupils dilated when she felt a sudden pain in her chest as if her heart was being squeezed.

"AHHHH!!!" she screamed while clenching her chest in agony.

"My Lady get a hold of yourself!" Raux still has her in his arms and he could feel her trembling body writhing in pain. She continued to cough up blood that her nightgown was tainted red.

"It hurts..." she whimpered as little drops of tears started forming in the corner of her eyes.

Ciel was devastated seeing his older sister crying and alone could do was watch her scream away her pain.

"S-sister, please. Wait for a few more minutes."

Avy's eyelids started to become heavier as her eyes slowly closed, but she did her best to stay awake even though her vision became blurry and began to see things.

The mourning face of her parents in front of her cold corpse.

She held on the hand that was holding hers tightly and mustered all her strength to speak.

"B-be quiet now... I'm not dying."

Ironically though, Her parents' image faded and she was able to see Ciel's face, he was bravely holding back his tears, trying his hardest to channel his mana to her even though it was useless. His futile attempts weren't doing anything because of the restriction stone nearby but he didn't stop.

"(Your) sister is not dying..." the first word was not heard, but even so, she was able to help her little brother breathe.

As the whole Arkwright Estate was in a state of panic, the bloody night ended and Avy slowly lost her consciousness, letting herself be eaten away by the dark.

~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

796K 29.5K 31
[Completed] Warning : The story is unedited. I apologize for the numerous grammatical errors within and messy storyline. *** After my death, I'm grat...
202K 6.2K 54
I could say this is one cliché story. A college girl died and transmigrated into an otome game she once played. Unfortunately she becomes the villain...
754 21 41
Just short stuff I write, mainly my fixation on the Transmigration and isekai or reincarnation genre. If it's in the first person I probably wrote it...
140K 4.6K 28
[Completed] Misha Hilung, a sadist and a narcissist. A working adult that works at a company and has a hobby of reading fantasy novels or playing oto...