Destined for Disaster ✔️

By MarjorieK64

*Book 1 of the Destined Series* Every year, King Alder opens the doors of the Royal Prison for people to fin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Author's Note

Chapter 26

2.6K 146 492
By MarjorieK64

It was late when Julie's teleporter returned her to the edge of Midnight Moon. She was on her way to the pack house when she heard the sounds coming from the hall. She always loved nights like those and her feet walked towards the scene even though she was exhausted. Perhaps Austin would be there, though he usually avoided the hall when there were crowds.

She paused in the doorway, leaning against the post and glancing around the room. Camden was telling his stories again, something he was especially good at. Her eyes flitted past the tables, looking for either Austin or Sky.

She almost missed him. She was looking for someone sitting alone, but when she at last spotted her chosen mate, he was sitting very cosily beside another woman. Julie cocked her head and studied her. Was it his mate? Had to be. From that angle, Julie could only see the woman's light-coloured hair and she found herself wondering if the woman was pretty – not that it mattered. She could be the ugliest werewolf in history and the mate bond would still make Austin think she was beautiful.

It was strange, but when she looked at Austin and his mate, she felt shame. She couldn't be angry, that wouldn't have been right. After all, she was the one who had told him to get to know his mate. That they would get along this well and this soon was not what she had expected, but she didn't have a right to complain after pushing them together in the first place. Of course that hadn't exactly been a voluntary decision, but she had to live with the consequences all the same. Rather than anger, therefore, it was shame that creeped through her body. Shame that she was watching them, shame that she'd had other expectations, shame that everybody was watching the same thing as her.

Her cheeks flamed and she wanted to turn and leave, but somehow her feet kept her pinned to the spot. What if Austin turned around and saw her? That would be awkward for sure. She frowned at herself. Would it be? Surely she did have a right to stand there. Or did she? Should she leave them alone to whatever was going on between them? Surely no one would expect her to give up that easily. But what was she giving up, if he moved on this quickly? But no, she shouldn't get ahead of herself. She might be reading into things that weren't there.

"Julie." Sky popped up beside her, a smile pulling at her lips.

Julie blinked, pulling herself away from her ruminations, and turned her head towards Sky, forcing a smile on her own lips in reply. She could not help, however, that her eyes found their way back to Austin only seconds later. Sky followed her gaze, her smile faltering.

"Let's get out of here," she said, nodding outside.

Julie followed in silence. The pressure on her head that she hadn't been aware of wore off when they got farther removed from the hall. The cold night air hit her hard after the warmth of the hall and cleared her mind.

"I'm glad you're back."

"I fear you'll be the only one," Julie said, digging her nails into the leather band of the bag she was carrying.

"Nonsense." Sky paused. "I saw you looking at Austin and Ryleigh just now. I assume you might have some questions about them."

"Ryleigh? That's her name?"

"Yes. Interesting character. You should hear all the stuff she pulled since she got here. It's no surprise King Alder considered her dangerous."

"Really?" She looked back at the hall as though she would be able to see them through the walls. "She looked pretty innocent to me."

"Looks can be deceiving. She broke out once and fought me, ripped open my side." Sky lifted her shirt, showing Julie the scars. "She's a good fighter, though weakened. She's been silvered more times than most people would survive. Four times by the king, once by Conall."

"By Conall?"

"Yes, after she attacked me. Nearly killed her, but you know him. He doesn't respect fate. She and Ridge get along quite well, too, it seems, which says enough."

"Really?" Julie realised with some surprise that jealousy fluttered in her stomach.

"Yes, and you know him. He's always drawn to the dysfunctional and the mysterious, both of which she is. We don't know anything about her other than her name."

"She sure sounds interesting."

"She is."

"Do you like her?" She avoided Sky's eyes as she asked the question, anticipating the answer. She felt like such a child and wished she had more self-respect.

"I do."

"Do you like her with him?" Sky fell silent and Julie glanced up. "You can say yes. I can take it."

"They're mates," Sky said. "I... If they weren't then I don't know. Maybe not. They don't get along that well. What you saw just now is just a result of her illness and wine."

"Illness?"

"Well, she got silvered five times. She ought to be dead, but somehow she pulled through. She's strong. And stubborn. She might be the most hard-headed woman I have ever encountered, and you know Austin is not equipped to deal with that. In that sense I don't think you have anything to worry about. They're hardly even friends."

"In that sense?" Julie said. "So there's also a sense in which I should be worried?"

Sky shrugged one shoulder. "Their bond is strong."

Julie nodded a few times. "Alright." She made it sound almost chipper, as though this was some fun challenge to be overcome.

"How's your brother's pup?" Sky asked.

"Good. Adorable. I'll miss the little thing, but I'm glad to be back. This is home." And it was, though lately she hadn't exactly felt welcome, a fact she was painfully reminded of when they entered the mansion and ran into Ellis.

He was on his way outside but stopped dead in his tracks when he saw her. "Julie."

She halted as well. He was her alpha and her friend, but when she looked at him all she felt was hurt. "Alpha."

Ellis' eyes darted up to Sky, who cleared her throat. "I suppose I will see you in the morning, Julie."

Julie nodded and listened to Sky's footsteps receding back outside, keeping her gaze on Ellis.

"Let's go into my office," he said. As usual, he didn't wait for a reply. She followed him in silence. She had nothing to say to him that would be appropriate.

He closed the door behind them. "I didn't expect you back so soon."

"I've been gone nearly two weeks."

"Yes, but I thought..." He broke off, moving further into the room. He leant against his desk, his pale eyes taking her in.

"You thought I'd stay away for the entire month?" Julie said. "You didn't specify that such was your order. O, wait, that's right, it wasn't an order. I sent myself into voluntary exile."

His jaw tightened and she subconsciously took a step back. She had seen Ellis get angry, and it wasn't pretty. She'd never been on the receiving end of his temper, however, and she wasn't sure she was strong enough to bear it. But that wasn't going to stop her. Not this time.

"I don't like your tone," he said.

"And I don't like being replaced." She lifted her chin, pinning her eyes to his. There was little she could do against his alpha authority, but for once she was determined to stand her ground.

His eyes softened. "No one is replacing you."

"I'm not so sure." The two of them looked at each for a few seconds, both determined but also both surprised. Ellis wasn't used to her talking to him that way and she wasn't used to being this outspoken. But he had crossed her lines so far it would be quite the journey to get back.

"This is my home, Ellis," she said. "What's next? Are you going to ask me to join the Royal Wolves again? Are you going to ban me from this pack so you can better force Austin together with his mate?"

"That's not –"

"Isn't it?"

"Let me finish talking, Julie." His voice was sharp, his alpha energy booming. She snapped her mouth shut, staring at him in defiance. "I have explained to you why I'm doing this. Don't tell me you don't understand my motives. Of course this is your home."

"You say that, but your actions do not reflect it."

"It's fate, Julie. We have to respect fate."

She remained silent, not sure she could speak around the lump in her throat. Tears burned right behind her eyes but she refused to let them run.

"They have gotten closer in your absence," Ellis said. "It shows that your presence here might be a disturbing factor, like I feared it would be."

"Perhaps it should be. I'm Austin's partner. Why should I not be a disturbing factor? If fate is as strong as you say it is, then it should hardly matter whether I'm here or not."

"Right," he said, "but it will be easier for everyone if you take some distance."

She scoffed, lifting a hand to her head, as if to attempt to physically push back her frustrated tears. "Easier for everyone? Do you really think it's easier for me to step back and watch the man I love get close to another woman? How many wolves do you know that would even agree to that? I feel insane for doing this. I feel insane for letting you make me."

"Well, I'm your alpha –"

"Yes, and as my alpha I will obey you. But as my friend..." She shook her head.

"Julie –"

"I matter too." It came out as a whisper, like she almost didn't believe it herself. She lifted up her head. "I matter too, Ellis."

"Of course you do. Come on, Julie. Don't cry." He disengaged himself from his desk and reached for her, but she stepped further back.

"No. I don't matter to you." She cleared her throat. "Are you ordering me to go away again?"

"It's not –"

"A yes or a no will suffice, Alpha."

His posture was so rigid, and his muscles so tensed, the slightest pressure might have broken him in half. "No."

"In that case I bid you a good night." She turned sharply and marched to the door.

"Do not walk away from me." His tone stopped her short, her feet freezing to the floor. Her chest heaved, anger and hurt filling her lungs with every shaky breath. She heard him approach her, the floorboards creaking gently. He placed a hand on her shoulder and she jerked away, refusing to look at him. "Julie, please. Don't tell me you don't understand where I'm coming from."

"I do," she said. Her legs trembled and she wasn't sure she had the strength to leave, even if he let her. "I do understand. Do you understand where I am coming from?"

"Yes, of course."

She turned to him, forcing herself to meet his gaze. She needed him to look her in the eye, needed to see her words land. "I don't think so. Actually I hope not. Because if you understand, if you really understand, then I don't get how you can stand here with a straight face and ask me to break my own heart." 

_____

A/N: Another one of Julie's and Ellis' conversations. Whose side are you on? 

Thanks for reading! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 9.4K 46
Regal Eclipse Pack Series is now available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CT96742X?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tkin Book 2 of...
23.6K 1K 68
*COMPLETE, EDITING ON-GOING* Diana doesn't know what she wants in life. She loves her family and her pack but she knows there is more out in the wor...
23.5M 738K 58
[Cover credit: Malot Aznar] "You need to learn to notice when a door is closed. If the door is open, you go through it, and if it's not, you need to...
1.2M 36.5K 61
Regal Eclipse Pack Series is now available on Kindle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CT96742X?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tkin Book 1 of...