Destined for Disaster ✔️

By MarjorieK64

*Book 1 of the Destined Series* Every year, King Alder opens the doors of the Royal Prison for people to fin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Author's Note

Chapter 23

2.5K 140 382
By MarjorieK64

For a minute, all Ryleigh could focus on was her heart drumming in her ears and the slowly settling realisation that this had started to become a real problem.

After that, when the quiet finally returned to her mind, it dawned on her she was sitting in her mate's lap and, what's more, that there was an audience. Gossip travels fast in packs and though she liked her guards, she couldn't be sure they wouldn't tell everyone the wolf they had to protect was crazier than any rogue.

Austin had her tightly in his grip, keeping her pressed against his chest. Her head was resting in the crook of his neck, and his smell was so overwhelming she couldn't stop herself from sitting still a few seconds longer, inhaling his scent and exhaling this horrible experience. It would have been hard enough to tear herself away under normal circumstances, but luck would have it he was still shirtless.

Her wolf pushed her to mark him right on the spot and Ryleigh inwardly rolled her eyes – both at her animal counterpart and at the entire situation. She took a deep breath and raised her head from his shoulder and pulled away. Her hand brushed over his abdominal muscles and she felt her cheeks catch fire.

He loosened his hold on her, cautiously and slowly, as though he wasn't sure whether she would erupt into another 'attack', as he liked calling it. She purposely avoided looking at him – at his eyes, his muscles, his bare chest – and pulled herself upright with a bit too much urgency, nearly toppling back down. Austin was on his feet instantly, already reaching out to steady her, but she raised a hand to stop him.

"I'm fine!" she said, her voice a bit too high-pitched to be believable. "You should get back to training." She waved in the general direction of the training field. She was still slightly out of breath and had to keep herself from bending over and panting with her hands on her knees.

"What just happened?" he asked. He crossed his arms, his muscles rippling underneath his skin.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?" He quirked a brow. "That didn't look like nothing."

Ryleigh pursed her lips and pondered a plausible excuse.

"Last time you said it was a nightmare," Austin said. "That lie isn't exactly applicable now."

"Daymare?" She hadn't often seen anyone look less impressed and she knew she was going to have to come up with something better. Or, if she felt confident, she could refuse to explain anything at all and just deal with his incessant nagging.

"I want an explanation," he said.

"And I want my freedom. Can't always have what we want. Now, you should really get back to training. Conall will miss his punching bag."

"Don't try to be funny about this."

"Me? Funny?" She gasped and placed a hand over her heart. "I wouldn't dare."

"You're doing it again," Sky said. "Beta, link me if you need me, this seems a conversation I have no part in." She nodded at him, glanced at Ryleigh, and left the scene. Ryleigh wished she could walk away too, but judging from Austin's stern look, there was little chance of that.

"Well?" he said.

Ryleigh shook her head. "It's nothing, really. Nothing for you to worry about. Really, go back to training."

"Not until I get an explanation."

"Well, if you won't go, I will." She spurred into motion, but hadn't taken three steps before he grasped her wrist and pulled her back.

"You can't just walk away."

"Yes, I can. Let me go." She tried to pull loose, but to no avail.

"Not until you tell me what just happened. One attack was suspicious, but two?"

"They're not 'attacks'," she said. "You're making it sound far worse than it is." She gave another yank and this time her wrist slipped free. "You can make me your prisoner, but you can't make me talk. Unless you're willing to torture me."

"Don't be so dramatic! Of course I'm not going to torture it out of you. I'm just worried."

"There's no need," she said. "Can I go?"

"We will discuss this further."

"I'm sure you will, and I'm sure I won't." Giving him no chance to respond, she turned on her heels and walked away, her guards following quietly. 

*****

"Beta." It was Nate linking Austin, and whatever it was, Austin didn't think he wanted to deal with it.

"I'm in a meeting, is it urgent?" he linked back. 

"Everything alright?" Ellis asked, seeing the far-away look in Austin's eyes and knowing he was linking someone. The conversation fell silent and Austin felt the entire council stare at him.

"Just linking to tell you we've momentarily lost sight of her. We're looking for her now. I'm sure we'll find her."

Austin breathed a deep sigh. "May I be excused?"

"Of course," Ellis said. "Do you need help?"

"No. Ryleigh and I have different definitions of behaving well, that's all." He left the room, feeling his irritation brewing inside him. What part of being on her best behaviour did she not understand?

"Where did you lose her?"

"In the clearing. It was busy and she just snuck off in the crowd. We've been looking for ten minutes but haven't been able to locate her. We've linked border patrol, but they haven't seen anything so it's unlikely she ran off. She might be hiding somewhere."

Austin stepped outside the mansion and looked around him. There were so many places she could have gone. And what if she had run? She might have slipped past border patrol. She was doing much better than a few days prior, so she might have been able to get farther this time. He contemplated his options. He could look for her, but that would take ages. He didn't want to involve the pack in this, since that meant everyone would know he had trouble controlling his mate, but it might be the only way to find her effectively.

"Has anyone seen Ryleigh in the past ten minutes?" he linked the pack. Immediately, chatter flared up and filled his head with noise. He sifted through the responses, hoping to find one that was actually useful. It didn't take long before a timeline established itself. About ten minutes ago, someone saw her walk past the dining hall. Eight minutes ago someone saw her near the school.

"I saw her go into the infirmary a few minutes ago, Beta," someone linked him. "I think she's still there."

Austin linked the guards to stop looking and walked towards the infirmary. He ignored the feeling of relief when he opened the door and saw Ryleigh sitting cross-legged on one of the beds.

She and Ridge were talking but hushed into a loaded silence when he walked in. She looked up at him, smiling as though she hadn't just forced him to admit to his entire pack that he had no clue where his mate was running about, even though he had her guarded by two warriors at all times.

"Good afternoon, Beta," Ridge said.

"Did you not hear me linking everyone?" he asked. "You could have responded."

"Were you looking for me?" Ryleigh said.

"Of course I was. You ditched Nate and Seth."

She shrugged, one-shouldered – as if it was nothing. "I needed some privacy."

"Well, privacy's over. Come."

Ryleigh glanced at Ridge, who returned the look silently, and Austin started to wonder what the two of them had been discussing before he walked in. Had she told Ridge what her attacks meant? If so, why wouldn't she just tell him?

She got to her feet, attempting to do it swiftly, but having to grab the side of the bed to keep herself standing. Austin's first instinct was to rush to her side, but he didn't. He was too pissed. Ryleigh pushed her hair out of her face with trembling hands and tipped her head back up.

"You need to rest," he said.

"No, I'm fine."

"I wasn't asking. In fact, unless you're ready to tell me what happened to you this morning, I don't want to hear anything at all from you right now. Is this your idea of being on your best behaviour? Ditching your guards?"

"I just wanted to talk to Ridge in private."

"And you just do whatever you want, don't you?" He shook his head and gestured for her to come. "If you still want me to talk to Alder when the month is over, you're going to have to start listening to me. And right now, I'm telling you to get inside and rest."

"But I'm telling you –"

Austin took a sharp breath. His patience was wearing thin. Or perhaps he just didn't have any when it came to her.

"He's right, Ryleigh," Ridge said. "You need to take it easy."

"I'm fine now. Really."

"Yes, and if you want to stay that way, you need to take plenty of rest and not strain yourself. You want too much, too soon. You don't have to sleep if you don't want to, but at least sit down."

She scowled. "I hate taking it easy." She sighed and turned to Austin. "Fine." She released her hold on the bed, unstable on her feet. She straightened her back and gave Austin a defiant look in passing, walking out of the infirmary without another word.

Austin glared at Ridge a moment. Why was it his mate instantly listened to the pack's crazy man and refused to listen to him? He caught up with Ryleigh just outside the infirmary. She was walking slowly, her hands held out slightly to improve her balance. He hooked his arm around hers.

She snapped her head to him, then down to their intertwined arms, looking as though she wanted to pull free, but she didn't. Instead, she leant on him and allowed him to support her.

"I'm sorry I ditched my guards," she said.

"Hmm-mm."

"No, I am. I just needed to talk to Ridge."

"What could you possibly have to discuss with him that your guards can't hear?"

She shrugged. "Ridge is the only friend I have here. I can talk to him about things I don't trust other people enough to know."

"Like what your attacks are about?"

"They're not attacks."

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever. It's hard for me to trust you when you go behind my back all the time."

"I get that. I'll try not to do it again."

He had no idea whether he should believe her or not. Probably not. The thing was, he believed her anyway. 

_____

A/N: What were Ryleigh and Ridge whispering about? Speaking of mysteries, Ryleigh might give some answers next chapter ;) 

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

744 2 102
Alyssa Bentley is the daughter of the Alpha of New Horizon and is set to become the next Alpha of the pack. Shortly after her sixteenth birthday, she...
149K 6.6K 46
Regal Eclipse Pack Series is now available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CT96742X?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tkin Book 2 of...
961K 29.7K 62
Regal Eclipse Pack Series is now available on Kindle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CT96742X?binding=kindle_edition&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tkin Book 1 of...
58.2K 548 9
Alpha Dominic banishes Dante for committing a murder he didn't do. But Dante is the rightful Alpha, so he does what is best for his pack. He leaves...