The Witch and the Prince

By LGW0824

Second in the series "Of Magic and Flesh" Sequel to The Healer and The General After the battle with the sout... More

Authors Note
Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Chapter 1

6.8K 291 23
By LGW0824

Demi gasped as she woke, drenched with cold sweat and the memory still holding her mind in its talons. It didn't help that the air in her small house was as cold as the river was all those years ago. The memory was the worst of a dozen that had begun to plague her since she'd revealed the truth to Eric. That was three whole weeks ago, yet he was still ignoring her.

Demi sat up and let out an irritated huff at the male's childishness. She wouldn't say he was angry, just bitter that she hadn't told him. And now, the two only exchanged niceties at breakfast and dinner. The only real conversation they'd had was when they argued over Demi moving into her newly built house. Demi had said she would only take a house when all families had one, but he insisted after she had gotten sick two weeks ago. Now she was completely moved into the small wooden cabin, complete with a few windows, a fireplace, and her little dresser. It was all Demi needed.

A noise in the far corner momentarily distracted her from her thoughts of Eric. Demi grabbed a candle and lit it to investigate. Moving carefully, as not to make the floorboards creak, she found that the noise had come from her sleeping apprentice, Anna.

Anna had lost her mother to sickness at a young age and then lost her father three weeks ago during the battle against three of the southern clans. She had come to the tent and asked to be put to use before she was sent back to the capital. As Anna was about to be sent back north, Demi had interrupted and asked for her to stay as her apprentice. The girl had gratefully taken the position . Demi quietly backed away from the sleeping girl, and towards the dresser.

After quickly dressing in fleece-lined leggings, a sweater, and heavy boots, she headed towards the mess hall, which was in the middle of construction. Demi wrapped a blanket she had taken around her shoulders tightly. It had gotten colder, and the lack of sun wasn't helping. If Demi remembered correctly, though, Helia Cobalt was about to set, which meant sunrise was about an hour off. Maybe then it'd warm up.

"Doubtful," Demi muttered to herself, watching how her breath clouded around in front of her like smoke. For some reason it always fascinated her. In Ura she hadn't had the time to notice, but now that she did, everything about winter intrigued her. The plants shed their leaves, turning to skeletons, frost grew like moss on the trees, windows, and just about everywhere else, and of course, her breath fogged in little clouds when she spoke.

The whole camp seemed to be asleep, keeping warm in their homes like she should be doing. But alas, her nightmarish memories drove her outside earlier and earlier every day. The lack of sleep was going to get to her eventually, but for now, Demi was happy watching the sunrise over the woods every morning in silence.

When she came upon the mess hall, approaching a large tent, she took a second to study the construction lit by wavering torches. Materials and tools were scattered about, giving off the appearance of disorganization and chaos, but Demi knew that everything was where it should be. All that had been completed of the mess hall was the frame and foundation. After that had been finished, Eric had moved the builder's focus to replace the healer's tent. Demi didn't really agree since she enjoyed the tent with its high ceilings and light filtering in through the fabric, but she didn't feel like arguing with him or speaking to him in general.

Carefully avoiding all the materials laid out, Demi finally made it to the makeshift kitchen behind the massive tent. The heat of the big stone ovens hit her immediately, warming her frozen cheeks. The ovens were one of the first things built apparently. They were huge, and ugly, but they got the job done. From them also came a loud crackling noise that reminded her of the sound of breaking bones. Paired with the usual buzz of the kitchen staff it left her reminiscing on unhappy memories.

"Demi?" An exasperated voice asked from somewhere in the kitchen, successfully diverting her attention from her recollections. "What did I say about being up this early?" She assumed it was Eva since she had cooking duty the entire week.

"You said it was unhealthy," Demi mumbled. "But, I was hungry, so..." She let the sentence die on its own as she slowly spun around, searching for Eva's blonde curls among the brick ovens.

"Fine, you glutton." Eva's voice teased. A piece of bread was tossed to Demi, and she easily caught it. She followed the direction to find her friend sitting precariously on the lip of a sink overflowing with dishes already. Next to her was a jar of milk along with a few cups. Demi started on the bread as Eva hopped down from her perch.

"How long are you on kitchen duty?" She asked between mouthfuls. There were about a dozen others in the area, but Demi didn't pay them much heed.

"Till the solstice, then I can finally be free," She laughed under her breath, Eva was being dramatic as always. "I'll finally get my mornings back."

"It can't be that bad."

"You've never had to do it." Eva quipped.

"And I never will." One of the perks of being the healer, Demi would never have to be part of the chore cycle, as she already had a million things on her plate, or she should've. Lately, things in the tent had been slow. Which is good, since it meant nobody was getting hurt or sick. But it left her incredibly bored throughout the day.

Eva only hummed. Despite the chill in the air, she looked perfectly comfortable in her sweater, unlike Demi who was freezing, even with an extra blanket around her. "How's Anna?" Eva asked after a few moments of silence, rummaging through .

"She's peacefully dozing in the cabin." Eva nodded then handed her a cup of warm milk. "I'm a little worried though," Demi went on with only the slightest bit of hesitation. "She's thrown herself into all the work, and honestly, I haven't seen the slightest bit of sadness or pain or any grief at all for her father." It wasn't any of her business, but Demi didn't think it was healthy to just be fine after you lost your only family.

"Maybe she's just not showing you her emotions." Eva offered.

"We are always together, for gods' sake we sleep under the same roof," Demi started, "And I'm a healer, I know how to pick up on emotions, especially pain." It was part of her job. "What if she really feels nothing at all?"

"Well, first, I'd say that it's not your business what she's feeling, even if Anna is your apprentice." Eva's voice was calm, "And second, I'd say that everybody deals with death in their own way. Maybe throwing herself into her work is how she's grieving." Eva let out a small laugh. "That's certainly how you deal with your problems."

A few minutes passed, and Demi ate her bread, anxious energy pouring out of her. After her bread was gone, she gulped down the milk and tossed the cup to Eva. "The bread could've used some butter." Demi heard Eva's laughs as she stalked towards the edge of the camp. She passed by mostly cabins with a few tents scattered throughout, and the foundations for a few buildings at random intervals. With winter coming so fast, it was more than likely for construction to slow down.

Demi passed the healer's tent and sat in the field of gold, the blanket wrapped tightly around her. As the sun rose, her thoughts drifted to a million different things. Work. Anna. Her past. Seemingly everything, until they rested on Eric. The damned male was just acting like a child, and Demi wasn't sure if it was to get back at her for not telling him sooner or if he was actually mad. The former was more plausible with how Eric was acting, but that latter scared her a lot more.

When Demi finally felt the heat of the sun, the camp's many children ran through the fields laughing. The sight made her smile. At least they were happy and carefree, a luxury Demi never had and one that still seemed to evade her. At this point, she was pretty sure "carefree" would never describe her, but, for now, happy would do just fine.

Demi's thoughts instantly scattered as she sensed someone approaching from behind, their movements through the long grass becoming louder. She looked up as someone stopped next to her, staring out over the field, watching the kids play some kind of game. Her eyes were glazed over as if she was in another time, some memory perhaps. Demi said nothing as she allowed her apprentice a moment to collect whatever thoughts were running through her mind. After a second, Anna slowly sat next to her with a sigh, two plates of breakfast in her hands.

"You are the best apprentice I've ever had," she said to Anna while taking one of the plates.

"I'm the only apprentice you've ever had," she replied nonchalantly.

"Yes, and you'll probably hold that title for a very long time."

She didn't reply, and the pair watched the kids running around while they ate. Demi had to admit, over the last few weeks, Anna had gotten to know her morning habits pretty well and what she liked for breakfast. Maybe she was just trying to get on her good side.

"When will I become a healer?" Anna asked after she had set her plate aside.

"Why? Are you not in it for the long run?" Demi was only kidding. She knew that her new apprentice would take however long she needed to become a healer. She was proven right when Anna gave her an exasperated look. Demi laughed lightly, a small smile now on her face. "It's up to you, not me, I'm only here to teach you the right steps."

"Are you always so cryptic?"

"You'll have plenty of time to figure that out yourself, don't worry," Anna mumbled something, but Demi ignored it. Her eyes were trained on the faerie man child coming their way. "Come on, we've got things to do." She quickly stood and dusted herself off.

Anna looked around the field, probably for whatever Demi was running away from, and found Eric coming towards them. Out of the corner of her eye, Demi could see the girl smirk as if she found it incredibly amusing. Then again, she didn't run from any sort of confrontation, unless it was with him. "Why don't we stay a little longer?" Demi turned and stared at the girl, wondering what was going through her head. "I was just starting to warm up."

"Things to do, people to see, places to go," Demi couldn't fathom what the hell her apprentice was up to as Anna stared up at her. The longer the girl refused to budge the more clear it became that she wanted Demi to confront Eric. She glared at the girl. "So let's get moving." Demi lightly kicked the girl's side, but it was too late. The general was upon them, and he didn't look happy. 

~~~

Hello lovely readers! I hope you're liking the story so far. I just wanted to thank everyone for thier patience as I slowly, but surely, post chapters. I'm not sure when, or if, there are going to be regular updates, and I sincerely apologize. Hopefully you all can bear with me as I try to write Demi and Eric's story. Extra thanks to those who were kind enough to vote and comment, your support means the world to me.

Sincerly,

         LGW0

P.S. if anybody would like to design a cover for The Witch and the Prince I would be so thankful. If you would like to send me a design just message me and I can give you my email. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.4K 1.6K 24
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒš
60.5K 1.7K 23
"๐œ๐š๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ž ๐ข'๐ฏ๐ž ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ง๐จ ๐จ๐ง๐ž'๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐š๐ง๐...
162K 6.1K 60
[Everything is fine but you will die no matter what you do โ˜…] [Synonym for a shitty game of luck โ˜…] [Is there anyone who has seen an ending other tha...
448K 14.6K 141
Genre: Space, Doting, Farming, Time travel, Healing Synopsis: Xu Linyue from the 21st century crossing over with the heavenly space soul penetration...