Greetings, Ninth Uncle

Xxiant

Photo and Story Not Mine - for offline reading purposes only. Credits to the rightful owner Cheng Yujin was t... Еще

Ch.1 - Side Character
Ch.2 - Canceling the Engagement
Ch.3 - Ninth Uncle
Ch.4 - The Crown Prince
Ch.5 - To Complain Her Grievances
Ch.6 - Uncle and Niece
Ch.7 - To Lift Out a Troublesome Situation
Ch.8 - Dissension
Ch.9 - The Past
Ch.10 - The Duke Manor
Ch.11 - Using the Same Tactic Twice
Ch.12 - Longevity Feast
Ch.13 - Injured
Ch.14 - Taboo Name
Ch.15 - Calligraphy Lesson
Ch.16 - Fake Injury
Ch.17 - Displeased
Ch.18 - Guests
Ch.19 - Old Acquaintance
Ch.20 - Tempted
Ch.21 - Birthday
Ch.22 - Marriage Proposal
Ch.23 - Identity
Ch.24 - Exposed
Ch.25 - Your Highness
Ch.26 - Choosing a Husband
Ch.28 - Younger Brother
Ch.29 - Dowry Gift
Ch.30 - Previous Life
Ch.31 - Getting Rich
Ch.32 - Mourning Period
Ch.33 - Marriage
Ch.34 - Cousin
Ch.35 - Zhuangyuan
Ch. 36 - Uncle
Ch. 37- Currying Favor
Ch. 38 - Opinion
Ch. 39 - Self-Control
Ch. 40 - Niece
Ch. 41 - Making Money
Ch. 42 - Biological Mother
Ch. 43 - Adoptive Mother
Ch. 44 - Grace of Birth
Ch. 45 - Duke
Ch. 46 - Shizi
Ch. 47 - Eavesdropping
Ch. 48 - Disciplining
Ch. 49 - Second Wife
Ch. 50 - Betrothal Gifts
Ch. 51 - To Help
Ch.52 - Implicated
Ch.53 - Cooperation
Ch.54 - Farewell
Ch.55 - Thoughts
Ch.56 - Wedding
Ch.57 - Love Rival
Ch 58 - Possesive
Ch 59 - Pressure
Ch 60 - Provocation
Ch 61 - Marriage View
Ch 62 - Return to the Natal Family
Ch 63 - Eldest Sister
Ch 63 Part 2 - Eldest Sister (II)
Ch 63 Part 3 - Eldest Sister (III)
Ch 64 - Pampering Wife
Ch 65 - Contrast
Ch 66 - The Women in the Palace
Ch 67 - Xiangji Temple
Ch 68 - Matchmaking
Ch 69 - Worth
Chapters 70 - 73
Chapters 74-76
Chapters 77 - 80
Chapters 81-83
Chapters 84 - 85
Chapters 86 - 87
Chapters 88 - 90
Chapters 91 - 93
Chapters 94 - 96
Chapters 97 - 100
Chapters 101 - 103
Chapters 104 - 105
Chapters 106 - 108
Chapters 109 -110
Chapters 111 - 112
Chapters 113 - 114
Chapters 115 - 116
Chapters 117 - 118
Chapters 119 - 120
Chapters 121 - 122
Chapters 123 - 124
Chapters 125 - 126
Chapters 127 - 128
Chapters 129 - 130
Chapters 131 - 132
Chapter 133 - 134
Chapters 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144 - Finale

Ch.27 - Dowry

2.6K 56 4
Xxiant

For a moment, Cheng Yujin felt sad for Cheng Yuanjing. In a sense, the two of them were similar.

But in an instant, she regained her clarity. No matter how pitiful Cheng Yuanjing, he was still the crown prince, while she was just a young miss with a precarious situation. What right did she have to sympathize with the crown prince? If she had that leeway, just put on more effort to plan her next path.

Cheng Yuanxian kept prattling about Old Master Cheng's partiality. Cheng Yujin didn't comment, but Qingfu Junzhu frowned and glanced around. The servants lowered their heads quickly, lowering their sense of presence.

Qingfu patted Cheng Yuanxian's arm and said, "Eldest Master, father is still sick now. If your words reached mother's ears, I'm afraid she would be angry."

"What's wrong with that." Cheng Yuanxian didn't care. "The doctor has told us to prepare for the funeral. Father's days are obviously numbered. Don't be fooled by how mother kept getting angry about little Xue-shi for half her lifetime. In fact, what she cares the most is the property left over by father. Her relationship with father is just on the surface. But actually, mother has no feelings towards him."

Hearing this, Qingfu Junzhu felt relieved. Of course, she also had no feelings for her father-in-law, and actually wished that the Old Master could die sooner. This way, Cheng Yuanxian could inherit his marquis title, and she no longer had to look at the Old Madam's face in everything. But mother-in-law was a mountain that loomed tall over daughters-in-law, Qingfu Junzhu dared not to offend her. Cheng Yuanxian was the Old Madam's son. Even if him badmouthing his father reached the Old Madam, at most, he would get a bit of scolding, but Qingfu wouldn't get off so easily. Now that Cheng Yuanxian told her the Old Madam only concerned about the property distribution, Qingfu was relieved and followed along with her husband's talking.

Qingfu stayed in the inner courtyard all day long. All the manor's expenses, such as food, clothing and transportation, came through her hand, so she had a better understanding of money than Cheng Yuanxian. "Eldest Master is the shizi, so the marquis salary should be yours. But the Old Master has been titled for so many years. It is inevitable that he has accumulated a lot of private wealth. If nothing else, just look at Ninth Master studying all the way to the imperial examination. He has never been short of money. The Old Master should have a lot of money."

Cheng Yuanxian was also concerned about this the most. The money needed to prepare for the imperial exam wasn't cheap. Especially because since Cheng Yuanjing was a child, teachers were invited to give him private lessons. After so many years, the amount of money spent on his education must be significant. Moreover, Cheng Yuanjing and little Xue-shi lived in a private residence outside. All the money used to buy the house and their living expenses should also come from the Old Master's private savings. Old Madam Cheng has been irritated by this matter for so many years. Normally, man's private saving was limited, and it wouldn't take long for him to be unable to support such an expensive outside mistress and son. However, from the beginning to the end, Old Master Cheng never asked his wife for money.

Therefore, Old Master Cheng's private wealth should be massive. Cheng Yuanxian, Cheng Yuanhan, and even the Old Madam's eyes were green with envy. They had been staring at the Old Master for so many years, waiting for him to die faster so they could get their hands on those industries and properties that generated so much wealth. After all, Yichun marquis manor has not been well financially for a long time.

As the first branch's head madam, Qingfu knew this so well.

Therefore, Qingfu was also very concerned about the Old Master's private property. In her opinion, they were the first branch. Her husband was the eldest di son and the heir. All the Old Master's savings should go to their branch. But the second branch had a different opinion. Both Ruan-shi and Cheng Yuanhan felt that since the family property would be left for the first branch, then the parents' private properties should be divided equally between two sons. Moreover, the first branch also should take care of their younger brother's family.

And Old Madam Cheng also planned to seize her husband's properties into her own hands. Although the two sons were born from her, who didn't want money? If she had the properties, not only would she live comfortably, but her two sons and their wives would also compete to please her. Why should she let it go?

But undoubtedly, the mother and children still had a common enemy. No matter what, the money must never be left to Cheng Yuanjing, and had to remain in the hands of their own family.

Cheng Yuanxian said: "Yes, even if the money in father's hand is his private property, it originally came from the marquis manor and should have belonged to us. There is an order in siblings' seniority. Father and mother will rely on me in their old days, so their properties should be left to me. Who knows how much money was wasted on Cheng Yuanjing to prepare him for the imperial examination and afterward, to build his career. Those all are originally mine."

Qingfu hurriedly chimed in: "Eldest master is right. These years father never cares about family affairs. The whole marquis manor is shouldered by you. Besides, we still have Bao'er."

Cheng Yuanxian and Qingfu Junzhu was in a perfect agreement and started to discuss the amount of Old Master Cheng's private property. Listening from the side, Cheng Yujin secretly shook her head in ridicule.

It was true that a lot of money was spent on Cheng Yuanjing's education. Judging from the clothes he wore, his living expense wasn't small either. However, this money has nothing to do with the Yichun marquis manor. The Old Master didn't use his wealth to raise Cheng Yuanjing and little Xue-shi. On the contrary, it was probably Cheng Yuanjing who supported the Yichun marquis manor.

On the contrary, it was probably Cheng Yuanjing who supported Cheng family. The current Yichun marquis manor didn't have any family members in the court. For many years, they held on an empty title and lived off the income from the farmland and shops left by the ancestors.

However, this world had no such thing as 'if I don't offend others, others won't offend me.' The strong preyed on the weak, especially when the food was limited. When a noble family didn't have backing from someone on the court, others wouldn't feel any deterrence to attack them. The end would be having their industries stolen or snatched, even taken over.

Although Cheng family was regressing year by year, the properties left by the ancestor still generating money without disruption. Anyone with working eyes could see that someone above was backing Cheng family, so others didn't dare to touch them.

Cheng Yujin once thought that this person was Shu Consort. Imperial consorts and family members of an official were different. No matter how high a man's official rank was, he dared not offend a favored eunuch. Similarly, no matter how powerful a eunuch was, he dared not easily offend favored consorts. Shu Consort was the eldest daughter of Chang Duke Manor Xu family, who was also an in-law of Cheng family. Cheng Yujin originally thought that people might be afraid of the Shu Consort, which indirectly made them wary of touching Cheng family.

But now Cheng Yujin thought that her guess was naive and ridiculous. Shu Consort didn't have any children nor power. Under Empress Yang's suppression, the Emperor's favor was also minuscule. Even if others were willing to give her a face, that would only be given to Xu family. How was Cheng family mattered? The reason Yichun marquis manor still be able to preserve their wealth and honor this far was obviously thanks to Cheng Yuanjing's protection.

It was ridiculous seeing Cheng Yuanxian and Qingfu Junzhu busily schemed to snatch the Old Master's private properties, fearing Cheng Yuanjing would also covet it. But they didn't pause to consider whether the Old Master would tolerate them. All these years, Cheng Yuanjing spent his own money. Cheng Yuanxian, Cheng Yuanhan, Qingfu Junzhu, and Old Madam Cheng were blinded by greed. The so-called huge private properties on the Old Master's hand were simply a beautiful illusion. How much greed they had now was equal with the disappointment they would get when they finally saw the ledger.

Qingfu was wholeheartedly calculating the wealth that would be left behind by the Old Master. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Cheng Yujin standing on the side with her head down, not knowing what she was thinking about. Qingfu suddenly became worried and said: "Eldest girl, the most important thing for a person is to understand one's identity and position. Both eldest master and I treated you as our own daughter. The life you enjoy until now, the clothes you wear, and the food you eat all come from our first branch. Even the double-sided embroidery that gave you praise from His Majesty was learned from my dowry embroidery master. People must know how to pay back gratitude. Those who received benefits from one but turned to help the other are destined not to end up well. Do you understand?"

Seeing Cheng Yujin was silent, Qingfu thought that she was thinking about her biological parents. Qingfu was afraid that Cheng Yujin would secretly report their plan to Ruan-shi and immediately gave Cheng Yujin a warning.

Cheng Yujin clenched her palms. Every time Qingfu Junzhu gave her even the smallest benefit, Qingfu couldn't wait to let the whole city knew and never forgot to remind Cheng Yujin to be grateful every time. As for Ruan-shi, whenever she saw an opportunity, she would come to cry about the hardship being pregnant for ten months, and how that because Cheng Yujin was born first, she took up nutrients from her sister, letting Cheng Yumo to be born weakly and sickly. Both Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi always told her to be grateful, to pay back for those grace and to not help outsiders.

One gave birth without raising; the other was raising without caring, dare to ask for gratefulness?

Cheng Yujin felt amused. She didn't beg Ruan-shi to give birth to her and didn't beg Qingfu to adopt her either. If they really were unwilling, Ruan-shi and Qingfu Junzhu could refuse the adoption back then. However, both of them didn't dare to go against the Old Madam, and turned around to shift the responsibility on Cheng Yujin.

Such two mothers, where did they have the face to ask Cheng Yujin to repay their favor? Cheng Yujin was fed up in the extreme, but she quickly controlled her emotion and nodded smilingly: "Of course this daughter understands. Our branch breathes in the same air, sharing prosperity and loss together. This time, thanks to mother, this daughter was rewarded by His Majesty himself. It's a pity that this daughter is powerless. Although the golden embroidery tools bestowed by the palace is an honor, it actually doesn't have any real usage. If only this daughter has a good in-law family, I will be able to support younger brother in the future."

When her son was mentioned, Qingfu's expression turned solemn. She couldn't help but ponder Cheng Yujin's last sentence. Qingfu always felt that Cheng Yujin was only a daughter in name, whose adoption gave a blessing of Bao'er. Regarding her marriage, giving her a portion of dowry was already an extreme benevolence. However, Cheng Yujin's words reminded Qingfu that marriage was originally an excellent way to join two different surnames. Each marriage was accompanied by many property movements and resources sharing. Cheng Yujin has a good appearance and a good reputation. Her usefulness seemed to exceed the value of her dowry.

Qingfu couldn't help thinking that her natal family, Ning Wang, was far away in Jiangnan and beyond reach. Cheng Yuanxian was a useless man. It would be difficult to count Bao'er future on him. The only outstanding male in the second generation was precisely Cheng Yuanjing. However, based on the relationship between Cheng Yuanjing and the first branch, especially Cheng Yuanxian, Qingfu didn't think that Cheng Yuanjing would support her son. Counting up and down, she could only put her hope on Cheng Yujin's husband, Bao'er's future brother-in-law.

Without changing her tone, Cheng Yujin calmly continued: "Mother, I only have Bao'er, this one younger brother. Even if I married, my natal family would always be my lifelong backing and support. In the future, I will have to rely on Enbao. If I don't support him, who else should I support? It's a pity that my engagement has been broken, and my reputation is now blemished. Although I got the Emperor's praise, in any case, it cannot be compared with tangible benefits. I'm afraid it no longer possible for me to marry into a prestigious family. But the second sister is different. She has a good marriage contract, and in the future, she can help pave the way for two younger brothers. The first and second brothers will have a much smoother career with her husband's help. Just counting of this, grandmother will certainly be willing to prepare more dowry for the second sister. After all, the second branch has great future potential. Of course grandmother will favor them more."

Qingfu Junzhu's expression changed, and Cheng Yuanxian looked unhappy: "The second branch? How can it is possible!"

Cheng Yuanxian didn't care being an idler in his whole life, doing nothing and strife for nothing. But he absolutely couldn't accept if the second branch became better than himself. This was also true for Qingfu. Thinking that Ruan-shi might gain power made her uncomfortable.

"Of course." Cheng Yujin smiled and said slowly, "Who let the second sister already engaged? Not counting anything, it is possible that grandfather will give more share for second uncle and second aunt for second sister's marriage. Before, I heard from a servant girl in the grandmother's courtyard that grandmother plans to allocate all my dowry to the second sister. When the time came, there would be the money grandmother take out from the public fund, the dowry that mother originally prepared for me, and also the sum that grandfather secretly provided. Isn't this the second sister helping her parents and brothers to earn a lot of money back?"

Qingfu Junzhu stood up abruptly. Cheng Yuanxian also secretly cursed; why didn't he think of this before! Seeing that Old Master Cheng was going to die soon, if the second branch secretly went to him with pitiful face to ask for subsidy for their daughter's marriage, who knew how much money they would squeeze from the Old Master's hand!

Once this thought reached Cheng Yuanxian, he could no longer sit still. Qingfu was also very angry, and walked around in circles while scolding: "Hateful! Obviously this is the eldest girl's marriage, but now they want to take away all benefits. Even eldest girl's next marriage talk will be delayed. How can this be allowed!"

"Muddle-headed!" Cheng Yuanxian scolded. "There is an order in seniority. When the older sister still not married yet, when is the younger sister's turn? As long as eldest girl isn't engaged, the second branch has to wait! Besides, even if eldest girl still doesn't have a good fiance, her dowry can still be prepared in advance. While father is still alive, we can ask him to add dowry for his granddaughter. Maybe he will be happy, and his illness can be cured."

The more Cheng Yuanxian talked, the more he felt that his idea was reasonable. Even Qingfu was immediately convinced. She praised again and again: "Eldest Master is right. Mother is indeed muddle-headed. Each has its own belonging. Just because eldest girl's engagement was canceled, why does her dowry should be given to others? It must be that couple from the second branch who deliberately spouted nonsense to mother, coaxing her to give them what they want. As children, we shouldn't criticize our parents. However, in this family, the one who has the final say is ultimately father. Why not go and talk to him about this?"

Cheng Yuanxian nodded in agreement and contemplated for a moment. The more he thought about it, the more impatient he was, and he immediately strode out. Qingfu didn't think that he would walk away so fast. She hurriedly chased behind while shouting twice. QIngfu stopped at the door, supporting herself on the door frame anxiously and didn't know what to do.

Cheng Yujin smiled and called to Qingfu Junzhu. She stretched out her hand, showing an embroidered pouch: "Mother, father walked out in a hurry and forgot his money pouch. You should go and return it to father."

Qingfu didn't know what reason should she use to follow Cheng Yuanxian, so this was exactly having someone sending a pillow when feeling sleepy. She let a servant girl took the pouch, but her expression was still a little hesitant. Cheng Yujin said again: "Mother, don't worry. I'll look after Enbao. But it's not good if father didn't have his money pouch on him. Mother should go and return it to father."

Qingfu Junzhu's expression immediately became relieved. She walked up and said to Cheng Yujin: "Look after your brother. I'll go find the Eldest Master."

"Yes."

Qingfu finally went out as she wished. She immediately chased Cheng Yuanxian to the Old Master's courtyard to ask for the property. After they left, Cheng Yujin was the only master there. Qingfu Junzhu's servants were very respectful to her.

Cheng Yujin arranged some works for them, then sat down satisfied. Seeing that they were left alone, Lian Qiao asked in a low voice: "Miss, are you not going to take a look?"

"No." Cheng Yujin calmly replied. "They are going to ask money from a sick elder. Such an ugly thing, how can I go with them? Don't worry, the excuse of preparing my dowry is easy to use and convenient. They will certainly fight enough even without my presence."

Lian Qiao said in admiration: "Miss' calculation is so good."

"This kind of thing, there is no need for me to strain my effort. Their brain is just so, and I know them too well." Cheng Yujin sipped the tea leisurely, enjoying the rich aroma and taste. The sun was so warm and nice. Cheng Yujin stayed in the room and only needed to watch others fight among themselves, but she could sit back and enjoy the fruit of their effort in the form of a huge dowry.

Quarreling was an ugly matter and only a waste of energy. Why should she do it herself?

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

47.4K 959 104
Description She was transmigrated into a novel where she became the cannon fodder who abused the male lead and ultimately suffered her demise under s...
169K 2.3K 109
Lord Protector Ding, Xie Heng, was the famous bachelor in Dayue Dynasty, also the adopted father of the male lead in the novel about a reborn woman...
Please Confess To Me Simmi

Любовные романы

174K 3.3K 60
Type Web Novel (CN) Genre Josei Romance Slice of Life Tags[ ] Beautiful Female Lead Doting Parents Female Protagonist First Love Handsome Male Lead...
Lost in Time Marie

Фанфик

780 93 24
When the battle was over, and those that remained moved on, the older generation stepping down, as the newest Avengers take over... One decides to ta...