Greetings, Ninth Uncle

By Xxiant

Photo and Story Not Mine - for offline reading purposes only. Credits to the rightful owner Cheng Yujin was t... More

Ch.1 - Side Character
Ch.2 - Canceling the Engagement
Ch.3 - Ninth Uncle
Ch.4 - The Crown Prince
Ch.5 - To Complain Her Grievances
Ch.6 - Uncle and Niece
Ch.7 - To Lift Out a Troublesome Situation
Ch.8 - Dissension
Ch.9 - The Past
Ch.10 - The Duke Manor
Ch.11 - Using the Same Tactic Twice
Ch.12 - Longevity Feast
Ch.13 - Injured
Ch.14 - Taboo Name
Ch.15 - Calligraphy Lesson
Ch.17 - Displeased
Ch.18 - Guests
Ch.19 - Old Acquaintance
Ch.20 - Tempted
Ch.21 - Birthday
Ch.22 - Marriage Proposal
Ch.23 - Identity
Ch.24 - Exposed
Ch.25 - Your Highness
Ch.26 - Choosing a Husband
Ch.27 - Dowry
Ch.28 - Younger Brother
Ch.29 - Dowry Gift
Ch.30 - Previous Life
Ch.31 - Getting Rich
Ch.32 - Mourning Period
Ch.33 - Marriage
Ch.34 - Cousin
Ch.35 - Zhuangyuan
Ch. 36 - Uncle
Ch. 37- Currying Favor
Ch. 38 - Opinion
Ch. 39 - Self-Control
Ch. 40 - Niece
Ch. 41 - Making Money
Ch. 42 - Biological Mother
Ch. 43 - Adoptive Mother
Ch. 44 - Grace of Birth
Ch. 45 - Duke
Ch. 46 - Shizi
Ch. 47 - Eavesdropping
Ch. 48 - Disciplining
Ch. 49 - Second Wife
Ch. 50 - Betrothal Gifts
Ch. 51 - To Help
Ch.52 - Implicated
Ch.53 - Cooperation
Ch.54 - Farewell
Ch.55 - Thoughts
Ch.56 - Wedding
Ch.57 - Love Rival
Ch 58 - Possesive
Ch 59 - Pressure
Ch 60 - Provocation
Ch 61 - Marriage View
Ch 62 - Return to the Natal Family
Ch 63 - Eldest Sister
Ch 63 Part 2 - Eldest Sister (II)
Ch 63 Part 3 - Eldest Sister (III)
Ch 64 - Pampering Wife
Ch 65 - Contrast
Ch 66 - The Women in the Palace
Ch 67 - Xiangji Temple
Ch 68 - Matchmaking
Ch 69 - Worth
Chapters 70 - 73
Chapters 74-76
Chapters 77 - 80
Chapters 81-83
Chapters 84 - 85
Chapters 86 - 87
Chapters 88 - 90
Chapters 91 - 93
Chapters 94 - 96
Chapters 97 - 100
Chapters 101 - 103
Chapters 104 - 105
Chapters 106 - 108
Chapters 109 -110
Chapters 111 - 112
Chapters 113 - 114
Chapters 115 - 116
Chapters 117 - 118
Chapters 119 - 120
Chapters 121 - 122
Chapters 123 - 124
Chapters 125 - 126
Chapters 127 - 128
Chapters 129 - 130
Chapters 131 - 132
Chapter 133 - 134
Chapters 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144 - Finale

Ch.16 - Fake Injury

2.4K 65 12
By Xxiant

Cheng Yujin finished writing the word in one go. She was very satisfied, but out of restraint, she did not take the initiative to speak. However, Cheng Yujin waited for a while and found that Cheng Yuanjing was staring at something and didn't give her any response.

Cheng Yujin gave him a strange look and saw that Cheng Yuanjing was looking at her arm. She straightened the sleeve, but found nothing wrong.

"Ninth Uncle?"

Cheng Yuanjing withdrew his eyes and calmly moved his gaze back on the paper. Seeing him behave like this, Cheng Yujin felt like he was making a fuss. She carefully observed the man's expression, but could not find anything. Cheng Yujin gradually became nervous and asked in a low voice: "Ninth Uncle, how is it?"

Cheng Yuanjing glanced at her and said lightly: "For a woman, it's acceptable."

Cheng Yujin was extremely annoyed. If good says good, if bad says bad. What did he mean by 'acceptable for a woman'? Really looking down on her. Cheng Yujin raised her eyebrows and deliberately asked: "How is it compared with others?"

"Too differ from basic, too many unnecessary additions, the heart is not right, and the writing is distracted." Cheng Yuanjing gave his critics without a shred of politeness. Cheng Yujin narrowed her eyes. Although she was angry, she knew that the man was right. In order to gain fame, Cheng Yujin learned all the necessary skills for a boudoir girl, such as embroidery, or playing zither, she perfected it all. But in fact, her real favorite was calligraphy.

Calligraphy was also her best skill. However, as a daughter, she could excel in some aspects but has to suppress her ability in other things, such as calligraphy, or composing poems. Those should be the talent her younger brothers had, and she couldn't take that limelight from them.

Therefore, Cheng Yujin had never shown her calligraphy skills in front of outsiders. That day, when visiting the Old Master, she deliberately praised the calligraphy work she saw, thinking that it was the Old Master's prized collection and wanted to please him. She never expected it to be Cheng Yuanjing's work. Cheng Yujin was a little embarrassed. So when she picked up the brush today, she determined to let Cheng Yuanjing see how good was her writing.

However, because she paid too much attention to write beautifully, she fell on the basics.

Cheng Yujin was not convinced. She once again raised the brush and quickly wrote the word 'Jin' on the edge of the paper. Cheng Yujin put down her brush and looked up at Cheng Yuanjing stubbornly: "Ninth Uncle, how about now?"

Cheng Yuanjing was amused. This girl was stubborn and loathed to admit defeat. Her mind was clearly filled with schemes, yet she still put on a virtuous face.

But having said that, her writing was indeed notable.

Cheng Yuanjing's eyes fell back on her left hand. This time Cheng Yujin saw it. She followed his eyes down, and finally remembered that her left hand should still be injured.

Cheng Yujin immediately put her hand on the table and showed a strong, yet sensible smile: "Ninth Uncle, it's just a skin trauma. I'm alright."

With Cheng Yujin's character, Cheng Yuanjing couldn't trust the word 'alright' from her mouth. He paused for a while and asked: "The matter of last night has nothing to do with you. Why did you admit guilt and even hurt yourself?"

Cheng Yujin was shocked by this question. Immediately she laughed and looked at Cheng Yuanjing: "Ninth Uncle, what do you think?"

"The dispute between my father and my grandfather was caused by me. Although it is because of a long grudge that actually has nothing to do with me, but will my grandmother and my mother think so? I stood out yesterday, just blocked one whip. But if I didn't do anything, can ninth uncle guess what will happen to me?"

Cheng Yuanjing slowly asked, "In the past, Cheng Yuanxian also didn't give you face in front of people?"

Cheng Yujin recalled yesterday's things. She slowly remembered how Cheng Enbao was making commotion and how the embarrassed Cheng Yuanxian shouted at her for not looking after her brother. Cheng Yujin didn't take it seriously: "Just some verbal words, and I have no actual losses. Who cares about this thing?"

Anyway, she would leave Cheng family as soon as she married. Cheng Yuanxian and Qingfu Junzhu could continue to spoil Cheng Enbao as much as they wanted.

Cheng Yuanjing couldn't utter a single word. For a moment, he felt an indescribable feeling in his heart. How old was she, already could say such logical and indifferent words. How did the Cheng family treat her so that she became so restrained?

Cheng Yuanjing felt anger towards the Cheng family. He couldn't understand his current emotion. He didn't care even when Cheng Yuanxian insulted him yesterday. Why did he get angry when hearing Cheng Yujin's words?

Cheng Yuanjing didn't understand what was actually going on in his own heart. Suddenly Cheng Yujin touched his sleeve, slowly asking: "Everyone has their own difficulty. Is ninth uncle perhaps pitying me?"

Cheng Yujin smiled at Cheng Yuanjing. Her eyes narrowed, revealing a cunning look that somewhat enticed people: "Feelings are worthless. If ninth uncle feels pity, you better give me a tangible benefit."

Cheng Yuanjing smiled. He glanced at Cheng Yujin, liking her frank attitude. After her interruption, his inexplicable emotions suddenly disappeared.

Cheng Yuanjing didn't like to owe people. Yesterday's incident happened because of him. Cheng Yujin was just implicated. He took a porcelain bottle from the many treasure shelf, and threw it to Cheng Yujin. She hurriedly caught the bottle, and immediately froze: "Medicine?"

"Mm."

Cheng Yujin was dissatisfied: "Why do you give me medicine? Can you change it?"

It was Cheng Yuanjing first time in so many years having someone dared to voice their dissatisfaction for the reward he gave, and even demanded him to change it. Without being angry nor annoyed, he looked at Cheng Yujin with a smile: "What did you say?"

"I think..." Cheng Yujin saw Cheng Yuanjing's eyes and swallowed back the words that almost came out. "I think ninth uncle is very considerate and benevolent. Thank you, ninth uncle."

Benevolent? She used this word, really treated him as an elderly? The nineteen-year-old crown prince thought: a monarch indeed had to be kind, but he never heard people ever praising him for being benevolent. Cheng Yuanjing remembered that he and Cheng Yujin were nominally uncle and niece. Since he was her father's generation, it wasn't wrong for her to use the word 'benevolent.'

Perhaps it was Cheng Yujin's last sentence 'Thank you, ninth uncle' that was too simple and too sweet. Cheng Yuanjing didn't care about the offense the girl had made, and just walked towards the large bookshelf on the inner part of the room. When he saw Cheng Yujin still standing in the same place, he raised his eyebrows and said, "What are you doing there? Come here."

Cheng Yuanjing's courtyard also had a two-entry structure. There was a main building with five rooms in the front, and a separate back-side building in the inner part. Compared with other family members, his courtyard was comparably bigger. He has no wife nor concubines, so the residence was even more spacious. The two rooms on the east side were merged by him to make a study.

The study was elegantly furnished and arranged irregularly with a charming effect, showing that the owner had a good taste. However, contrary to the expectation, there was only one bookshelf inside.

Cheng Yuanjing was still standing in front of the tall bookshelf. Looking at his posture, was he going to teach her by guiding her hand?

Cheng Yujin thought that it was unacceptable for a man to touch a woman's skin. Even if he was her uncle, towards an adult niece, it was still improper. If he personally held her hand when writing, their distance would be too close.

Cheng Yuanjing waited for a long time. Seeing Cheng Yujin was still slowly hesitating in front of the many treasure shelf, the expression on his face changed. Cheng Yuanjing put down his brush and said: "You lived in this manor for many years using this kind of attitude? Come and grind me ink."

Cheng Yuanjing saw Cheng Yujin obviously startled and felt odd. He lowered his eyebrow and asked: "What are you thinking?"

Cheng Yujin smiled softly at Cheng Yuanjing, walked towards him, and started to grind the ink on the table very hard. In her heart, she couldn't wait to throw this man on the ink slab to be crushed together.

Cheng Yuanjing's brush moved swiftly, and a line of a magnificent character suddenly appeared on the paper. Cheng Yujin looked attentively and had to admit: "Ninth uncle's writing is really good."

No wonder he dared to laugh. He indeed had the ability to look down on people.

Cheng Yuanjing put down his brush, then signaled Cheng Yujin to come forward. Cheng Yujin took another brush, and when she turned around, her sleeve accidentally hit the brush holder. Cheng Yujin's eyes were sharp. She quickly held the brush holder and moved it aside.

Cheng Yuanjing watched Cheng Yujin's quick movement and narrowed his eyes slightly.

Just now, she used her left hand?

Would a person subconsciously use her injured hand to move things?

Cheng Yuanjing's expression changed. He observed Cheng Yujin quietly. She was immersed in copying the writing and didn't realize the gaze from behind.

Cheng Yuanjing only observed for a short while, and already had a firm conjecture that Cheng Yujin was not injured.

At noon, a servant girl came to call Cheng Yujin for meal. When Cheng Yujin was putting back her outer coat, Lian Qiao smoothly told her: "After Miss left this morning, the lady sent people to ask your situation twice."

"Aunt sent people to ask?" Cheng Yujin's spirit immediately rose. "Did they say for what?"

"The lady is worried about your injury and sent someone to ask."

The voice gradually getting smaller. Cheng Yujin stood outside the room and curtsied towards Cheng Yuanjing: "Ninth Uncle, I'll retreat first."

Cheng Yuanjing's expression didn't saw any change. His eyes fell lightly on Cheng Yujin and immediately darkened after she went out.

It turned out that all her actions yesterday were a show for Cheng Min. The girl was really determined to get that Xu family's cousin brother.

For a man, she cheated him and pretended to be injured. Very good.

Cheng Yuanjing especially let people made a trip to the palace last night to fetch a bottle of scar-removing cream. Unexpectedly, from the beginning, it all was just a performance by Cheng Yujin.

Cheng Yuanjing looked at the word 'jin' on the pile of paper and coldly hooked his lips.

Cheng Min was still brooding over the commotion last night. Today, she specially ordered the kitchen to make the favorite dishes of the Old Master and Cheng Yuanxian. With some push and coax, she let the Old Master come for the noon meal, and deliberately made a lively mealtime.

Old Master Cheng's face eased a lot. Although he hated his sons' failure, he still wanted his children to be reunited. Cheng Min deliberately took the Old Master to talk with Cheng Yuanxian. In another room, the juniors also gathered to play together.

Cheng Yujin spent half a day learning calligraphy, and only now finally had the chance to get close with Xu Zhixian. She was calculating the boundary between friendly and being restrained, when suddenly she saw Cheng Yuanjing went out and walked towards the green gauzed cabinet.

Somehow, Cheng Yujin had an inexplicable hunch. She unconsciously stopped talking, eyes focused on Cheng Yuanjing.

Cheng Yuanjing walked to the door. When Cheng Yujin thought she was simply overthinking, she suddenly heard a familiar voice: "Cheng Yujin."

Cheng Yujin stood up in reflex: "Yes, ninth uncle."

Cheng Yuanjing looked at her, smiling very kindly: "Don't you still have to go back to learn calligraphy?"

Cheng Yujin's whole body was in rejection. What time was now? Everyone was staying here, but she had to go to learn calligraphy?

Old Master Cheng heard the movement and asked, "Ninth boy, what's wrong?"

Cheng Yuanjing still looked at Cheng Yujin and smiled: "The longevity feast is approaching. His majesty's present should be the very best. Niece, don't you think so?"

Old Master Cheng felt strange, and let people help him walked to see the situation. Cheng Yujin sighed and secretly consoled herself. She would definitely brush up Xu Zhixian's favorability tomorrow.

Cheng Yujin straightened up and bowed her head in response: "Ninth uncle is right."

"Let's go."

Cheng Yuanjing seemed to want her to go with him. Cheng Yujin could only grit her teeth, say goodbye to everyone, and chased Cheng Yuanjing out.

After going out, Cheng Yuanjing did not deliberately wait for her, and Cheng Yujin had to walk very fast to keep up with Cheng Yuanjing's pace. She looked at the back of the man walking in front of her. She wondered what was going on; why did she feel that Cheng Yuanjing was not right today?

He seemed to be a little angry.

A bit unclear here, but basically, Cheng Yujin used the word 'benevolent' that usually only used to the elderly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 2.3K 109
Lord Protector Ding, Xie Heng, was the famous bachelor in Dayue Dynasty, also the adopted father of the male lead in the novel about a reborn woman...
39.9K 644 80
Eighteenth-tier actress Qin Yu Jue took on the next love variety show, and her agent chose an amateur to play the fake boyfriend for her. On the day...
51.4K 818 80
Cheng Huan woke up and had transmigrated as the villainess female supporting character in a novel. The female supporting character was very money-lov...
385K 15.6K 137
Fern is the younger sister of a famous author known for 'The Promise Under The Moon.' At just fourteen, she was the first to read her sister's debut...