The Unfinished Book✔️

By Melody_Alyward

One typical day I read a random book just to pass my time. 'Contract marriage with an attractive stranger? Ho... More

Prologue
CHAPTER I
RHEA/KATHERINE
CHAPTER II
CHAPTER III
CHAPTER IV
CHAPTER V
CHAPTER VI
ARGUS
CHAPTER VII
CHAPTER VIII
CHAPTER IX
CHAPTER X
CHAPTER XI
EROS AND LARK
CHAPTER XIII
LYDIA
CHAPTER XIV
CHAPTER XV
THALIA
CHAPTER XVI
CHAPTER XVII
CHAPTER XVIII
CHAPTER XIX
CHAPTER XX
CALISTA
CHAPTER XXI
CHAPTER XXII
CHAPTER XXIII
CHAPTER XXIV
CHAPTER XXV
CHAPTER XXVI
FINIS

CHAPTER XII

55 7 4
By Melody_Alyward

"Kill those brats. It's useless now. What good are people who won't listen. Now they will understand what it means to disobey me."

The man turns around to carry out the order.

"Wait."

He stops in his tracks to wait for his boss to giver further orders.

"Don't kill them yet. I might still have use of them."

"Got it."

The man replied and left the room. When he came outside, he inwardly smiled. Why? It's because he knew the children had already escaped. This man was a spy for Argus who was currently pretending to be working for Ryker who was oblivious to this.

_________________

I open my eyes after god knows how long I slept. Why do I feel so sleepy? Is it because of the fever? Luckily, I don't feel so feverish anymore. Although my body still aches.

I push myself out of the bed to stand up and see what time it is. I pull the curtains to notice that the sun was setting outside. Gosh! I can't believe I slept all day. I wonder what happened to Eros and Lark. I know Argus told me to trust him but I feel so anxious and unsettled. This feeling won't go away until I see them with my own eyes being safe and sound.

A knock at the door brings me back from my thoughts as I reply,

"Enter."

"My lady, would you like to have dinner right now or later on?"

Seeing that familiar face and hearing that familiar voice, my eyes went wide for a split second and then I regained my composure and started glaring at the man in front of me because I finally understood what had actually happened. The Prince's cousin from the neighbouring kingdom? Ha, my foot! It was a joke. Argus is the one who bought our mansion.

"Tell me, do you perhaps have a twin brother who works as an aide in the neighbouring country?"

"Huh?"

Fidelis becomes startled and looks up in surprise.

"I'm guessing that's not the case. Then this means you are Fidelis....or perhaps your real name is something else? Would you care to explain?"

Fidelis starts to avert his gaze with guilt and finally sighs and gives in. Muttering a small forgive me, my lord. He then retorts,

"My name is Fidelis and what you are thinking is right. My lord did buy the Leneghan Estate......."

"Then why hide it?"

"He knew you wouldn't let him therefore this was his only way to help pay back your debt...please trust me, he had no ill intentions..."

"...I know....but...."

"Please don't be angry at him."

"I am not angry...I am just surprised.....grateful.....but also shocked....."

"My lady....if I may.....could you please not mention this to my lord that I told you about this?"

He requested. From the tone of his voice, I felt that he would be in trouble if Argus found out. Hence, I assured him,

"Don't worry. I won't even tell him I found out about this."

"Thank you, my lady!"

"And please stop referring to me as your lady. I am not a member of the Duchy of Dallarosa."

"But you will be soon, won't you?"

"What?"

"Never mind."

He clears his throat and quickly continues,

"About dinner. Would you like to have it now?"

"Is Argus....I mean the Duke back yet?"

I am still not used to all the honorific system here and calling people with their title rather than their names feels weird. Especially when I'm talking about Argus. However, other people might mistake that we are in some sort of relationship which is why I always correct it afterwards.

"He will be here soon."

"Then I will eat with him....if it's alright?"

"Of course, my lady."

"Also....my brothers....any news?"

"We have found them."

Hearing that, my face literally lit up and I excitedly add,

"Where? How? Where are they? How are they?"

"My lord knows the details. He will brief you about it when he comes. For now, here you go."

He hands a letter to me. I quickly open the letter while he explains who is it from.

"It's from you mother. She knows about everything and sent this letter for you which came about five minutes ago."

"Thank you."

I then start reading the letter while Fidelis takes his leaves.

My dear Rhea,

I heard about everything from the Duke. I hope you're feeling better now. My letter will reach you before than I would. Yes, I am coming over along with Thalia after briefly stopping by your father's grave to pay him respect. Please don't carry the whole burden on yourself and do not blame yourself for it's not your fault. I hope by now you must have heard that your brothers have been found. I am so grateful for that. We originally wanted you to come here and stay a night here because tomorrow when your brothers arrive, we will then head to our cottage. However, seeing you had such a high fever, Thalia and I decided to come over there. The Duke was generous enough to allow us to stay there for a night. Which reminds me, my dear daughter, I have a lot of questions for you. By the time I come, you better be prepared to answer them. I wrote a letter first because I was worried and I didn't want you to worry as well. Let's talk the further details when I come. Take lots of rest and don't overdo it.

With lots of love,
Penelope Leneghan
and Thalia

The last Thalia word was written by the little girl herself hence the writing was weird. However after finishing the letter, I realise what she must have meant by questions. She doesn't know how I got acquainted with Argus. I need to come up with some excuse. But for now, I am happy my brothers have been found. This is so good news.

That night, the former Countess arrived with her daughter along with the Duke. At dinner table, everyone sat eating quietly when Argus then starts explaining about what's it going to be like at the trial.

"Thank you, Duke. You really are generous and kind. I appreciate all that you have done for us so far. You even took such good care of Rhea."

We all looked at my mother, waiting for her to carry on,

"But if I may ask, why are you doing so much for us?"

"....why?"

Argus repeats her question in a low voice. He looked confused by this and from the looks of it, it didn't look like he knew the answer as well. Honestly, I thought about this why as well. But when I looked at it from another point of view, lets say if I was in Argus's place and he was in mine, I would have helped him the same. This is why I can't really blame him for helping me. I can't really tell mama that he's the only other person I know who is not from this book, which is why I depend on him.

"Yes, why. I fail to understand. I am also curious as to how you both got acquainted."

We looked at each other, thinking about what to answer and I finally spoke up,

"When I went with Lydia to the Queen's birthday party a while back, I met him there. And then I also met him when I went to sell the house. Arg....I mean...the Duke is the one who helped us quickly find a client willing to buy the mansion. And then..."

"I do understand all of that. And I am thankful which is why I am asking why."

"She works as a spy for me."

Argus blurted out.

"Spy?"

"Yes, when I met her at the party that time, I requested her to gather some information for me. In return for that, I helped her find a client. And later on, I needed some more information and I seeked her help and in return I promised to help her win this case."

"Yes, that's exactly it!"

"Spy work....Rhea....isn't that dangerous?"

"Not at all. I just have to sit among a bunch of ladies and listen to all the gossips."

"Yes, I assure you ma'am that it's safe. Besides my knights are with her in secret guarding her."

"That's a relief then. Thank you."

"No problem, ma'am."

"Please don't call me ma'am. According to our status you should refer to me as Penelope."

"I don't really care about the status system. For me everyone is respectable equally regardless of their wealth."

"Oh wow."

Mama's eyes lit up with respect and she then went into her interviewer mode and started asking bunch of questions,

"That's appreciable. Tell me, what else do you do? You are a duke and head of all the knights. Is there something else as well?"

"I help with charity and setting up facilities for the poor and sometimes I work in international affairs as well."

"That's so commendable. May I ask how old you are?"

"20."

"Oh my god! You are so young yet you are responsible for so many things. That's amazing!"

"Not at all. I inherited all of this last year after my father died."

"I am so sorry to hear that."

"Don't be. He died in the battlefield protecting our kingdom therefore, I like to think of him as a hero."

"As you should. He is a hero. What about the rest of your family?"

I looked at Thalia who was focused on her dinner and barely bothered to look up. I then understood that it was mama's habit to interview people like this whom she found admiring. However I could feel Argus was feeling uncomfortable which is why I wished that she would stop but she didn't. After asking about his background, she then started inquiring about his future plans

"You're still so young. You must surely need someone to manage the Duchy as well while you're out dealing with other affairs."

"Uh...it's fine. I'm handling it well..."

"That's for now but as you grow older, you will realise that you really do need a partner."

"I see. I'll keep that in mind."

"You should. You know not to brag or anything, but our Rhea here is pretty good at managing things."

Okay that was it. That last sentence made me choke on my food while Argus also coughed. We both finally understood what she was trying to do. Oblivious to our reactions, mama kept on going on and on about how good I am at handling the house and even the baking business we have just started. She finally stopped with,

"Isn't she amazing?"

"I'm sure she is."

"Of course."

I noticed Thalia had finished eating and was rubbing her eyes, hinting that she was sleepy.

"Thalia wants to sleep. I'll go take her to her bed."

I got up to leave but mama stood up instead and quickly added,

"Oh I'll take her. I feel sleepy as well therefore I will also go to bed. I've already finished eating. Rhea eat some more since you had a fever and slept all day and didn't eat much. Well then, good night everyone."

And with that she quickly left.

When she was gone, I sighed and chuckled,

"Well that was awkward."

"What was?"

"Her trying to set us up."

He laughs and adds,

"It was refreshing. Your mother is a jolly person. This wasn't mentioned in the book."

"I know, right? A lot of things weren't mentioned in the book. I don't even know if it's even the book anymore."

"Can I ask you something? When you think about your memories.....the past memories....do you remember everything?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean everything everything. Can you point out things in detail? People's faces or their names or places or what specific event happened?"

"That's....well...I can't seem to remember much of my childhood but I do remember my family and that...I.....I........"

I closed my eyes shut as I tried hard to recall everything. Why can't I seem to remember them anymore? I used to remember everything in detail. Everything is on the tip of my tongue. I remember it....I know I do...I just.....

"It's also like that to me. I only remember dying in the army during battle. Other than that, I can't seem to remember any of my other memories. Even my parents. I only know that I had parents however I do not know, who or what my parent's names are, I don't even remember how they looked like. More than that, my memories as Argus is far more stronger."

"Is it because you've been Argus since he was nine?"

"Maybe so. What about you?"

"For me, even though it's only been a few days since I came here but I feel like I've been here from the start. Rhea's memories are too strong. Luckily I can still recall my family's names and their faces but that's it. Nothing more."

"It is because gradually with time, we are becoming the characters itself?"

"Oh...that's not good. I do wish we could find a way to go back."

"You want to go back?"

"You don't want to?"

"It's not that I don't want to....but rather I don't even remember that life for me to even long for it. As a plus point, being a Duke has a lot of advantages."

"I'm sure I can imagine. You don't have to have so much troubles as the poor female lead that is me."

"I know it's hard for you but isn't everything working out for the good now? You changed the story. It's not the same book anymore."

"True. Even if I do not go back, I still need to find out as to how we got there."

"I have been looking for that answer for a very long time now. Couldn't find anything. Good luck with that."

"You aren't gonna help me with that just like how you helped me repay the debt by buying the mansion?"

"That and that are different things. Besides.....wait....how did you find out?"

"I know everything."

"How?"

"I'm psychic."

"You met Fidelis didn't you?"

"Yeah I did. Though don't be too hard on that poor guy. He made me promise not to tell you."

"Looks like you aren't such a good promise keeper."

"That's.....thats besides the point. Why did you hide it?"

"Isn't it obvious? You wouldn't have accepted it otherwise."

"That's because it's my problem....well not mine but I am Rhea now so it does become mine."

"That's exactly what I'm saying. It's not your fault that you became Rhea and this is why I wanted to help you."

"So do you pity me? Is that it?"

"...no....I mean...you said it yourself that us who are not from the book should have each other's back. Didn't you agree?"

"I know. I apologise. I really do appreciate all that you've done till now. I don't know how to repay you for everything."

"I didn't help you just to make you owe me. If you want to pay me back then start by staying happy. That'll be enough."

"But how does that benefit you?"

He shrugs and smiles in return. Seeing as he didn't want to drag the conversation any longer, I then got up and after saying good night, left.

The next morning, the maid came in holding a beautiful dress. It was similar to one of those dresses that Rhea had before the Count went bankrupt. Apparantly Argus sent it for me since I had no other clothes to wear. Which was technically true since when I asked about my clothes that I was originally wearing, the maid replied that they were thrown away since they were torn and muddy. In place of that dress, Argus bought this for me.

I observed the deep beautiful red gown in front of me. It's sleeves were of thin net leading up-to the u-shaped neckline. It reached down the ankles in a gorgeous fall. Even though it was simple, for which I was thankful for, but from it's designing till stitching, I could identify that it was expensive. I had no other choice but to change into this outfit since they won't bring another plainer dress than this. I even went to Argus however he said that today is the day of trial and I need to be ready. From mindset to clothes, I should be prepared. I finally gave in and ended up changing into the outfit.

Before long, we reached Lydia's house. Since there the Marquis would tell us in detail on what will go on in the court and what words should I speak at what time since I am the accuser. I was the only one being briefed about it since I would be the one going up at the stand. When the discussion ended, the Marquis requested me to call Argus. Everyone else was apparently sitting out in the garden.

I was walking towards the sitting area, when I heard a familiar voice come from nearby.

"What do you want?"

Argus? Who is he talking to?

"Why are you both changing the plot so much? Aren't you worried there might be some consequences to certain actions?"

Hearing Lydia's retort, my eyes go wide. I quickly come out from behind the wall to see Argus reply,

"Why do you care now? You barely ever acknowledged before that you are not from here."

Shocked, I blink and blurted out,

"Oh my god....."

They both turn to look at me and startled, their eyes go round.

"Lydia.....or whoever you are....you're not from this book as well?"

Hey guys! Did you see this coming or not? Or are there any predictions as to who else could be not from the book? Any guesses? Do comment to let me know and as always, please vote if you enjoyed reading! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
88.2K 1.6K 99
After five years, Ning Xi returned to the place that had pushed her away - home. With a sister who turned her parents against her and made her childh...
3.2M 183K 77
Nobody ever loved him; she was the first who loved him. He did not have a family and then one day she entered into his life and became a world for h...
382K 24.1K 22
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ~By 𝐊𝐚𝐣𝐮ꨄ︎...