Our Secret

By Licutie269

Coralina Routledge, twin sister of John Booker Routledge, needs a distraction from the chaos of her life. He... More

Our secret November Part 1
Our Secret November Part 2
Our Secret December 3
Our Secret Christmas Part 4
New Years Eve Part 5
Our Secret January Part 6
Our Secret Valentine's Day Part 7
Our Secret February Part 8
Our Secret March Part 9
Our Secret April Part 10
Our Secret Sophomore Social Part 11
Our Secret Aftermath 1 Part 12
Our Secret Aftermath 2 Part 13
Our Secret May Part 14
Our Secret Memorial Day Part 15
Memorial Day 2 Part 16
June Part 17
June 2 Part 18
4th of July/July Part 19
Pilot 1 Our Secret Part 20
Pilot 2 Our Secret Part 21
Pilot 3 Our Secret Part 22
Pilot 4 Our Secret Part 23
Lucky Compass 1 Part 24
Lucky Compass 2 Part 25
The Forbidden Zone 2 Part 27
The Forbidden Zone 3 Part 28
Spy Games 1 Part 29
Spy Games 2 Part 30
Midsummers 1 Part 31
Midsummers 2 Part 32
Parcel 9 (1) Part 33
Parcel 9 (2) Part 34
Parcel 9 (3) Part 35
Parcel 9 (4) Part 36
Dead Calm 1 Part 37
Dead Calm 2 Part 38
The Runway 1 Part 39
The Runway 2 Part 40
Bell Tower 1 Part 41
The Phantom 1 Part 42
The Phantom 2 Part 43
Cleo Part 44
The Gold 1 Part 45
The Gold 2 Part 46
The Heist 1 Part 47
Prayers 1 Part 48
Homecoming 1 Part 49
Homecoming 2 Part 50
Homecoming 3 Part 51
The Darkest Hour 1 Part 52
My Druthers 1 Part 53
My Druthers 2 Part 54
My Druthers 3 Part 55
Bonfire 1 Part 56
Bonfire 2 Part 57
The Cross 1 Part 58
The Cross 2 Part 59
Trapped 1 Part 60
Trapped 2 Part 61
Coastal Venture 1 Part 62
Coastal Venture 2 Part 63
Poguelandia 1 Part 64
Pouguelandia 2 Part 65
The Bells 1 Part 66
The Bells 2 Part 67
Fathers and Sons Part 68
The Diary Part 69
Heists 1 Part 70
Heists 2 Part 71
The Dark Forest 1 Part 72
Dark Forest 2 Part 73
Happy Anniversary Part 74
Happy Anniversary 2 Part 75
Tapping the Rudder Part 76
Tapping the Rudder 2 Part 77
Welcome to Kitty Hawk Part 78
Welcome to Kitty Hawk 2 Part 79
Secret of the Gnomon part 80
Secret of the Gnomon Part 81

The Forbidden Zone 1 part 26

3.2K 45 3
By Licutie269

Climbing out of the tomb Coral landed on the ground surrounded by her friends, "You okay?" JJ asked. 

Nodding she held up the FedEx envelope, "Its from Daddy," she told them handing the envelope to her brother. 

Eyes wide John B took the envelope tracing over the names, Bug and Bird, written in their father's handwriting, "I told you it was real."

"Okay, well can we get out of here then?" Pope asked motioning in the direction of where they'd come in from. 

Walking into The Chateau Coral used her flashlight to look around, "Those idiots totally fucked up the house," she complained looking around at the mess caused by the square groupers.  

"We'll help you clean it up," Pope offered as he lit one of their lanterns they kept handy for power outages.  "I'm freaking starving," JJ announced pushing past everyone to the kitchen.

"Don't you keep that refrigerator open for long.  The dry ice only goes so far," Coral called in to him.

"Alright guys come on let's do this," John B said walking into the kitchen and sitting down with the envelope.  Following JJ and her brother into the kitchen, along with Kie and Pope, Coral leaned against the counter while the others crowded around the table.

Pulling the tab on the envelope John B opened it before pulling out a folded map.  Opening it he smoothed it out on the table, "Holy shit," he muttered.

"Oh, X marks the spot," Pope said pointing to a black hand drawn X on the map.  

Slipping in under JJ's arm Coral leaned against the table to get a look at the map.  Feeling something under her hand she picked up the envelope and pulled out a mini recorder, "John B," she said getting her brother's attention as he talked longitude and latitude over the map.

Taking the recorder he looked up at her before hitting play.

"Dear Bird and Bug," came their father's voice from the recorder.  Gasping Coral felt JJ wrap his arm around her waist as she leaned against her brother's shoulder.

"Who's Bird and Bug?" Pope asked.  "It's what their father called them," JJ answered quietly as they listened to the man on the recorder.

"I hate to tell you I told you so, but I told you so," the tape continued, "And you doubted your old man.  I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, Bird, but don't kill yourself just yet, Kid.  I didn't expect to find the Merchant either.  You were probably right to call me out. Leaving you and Bug alone all that time. Wasn't exactly Father of the decade.  What can I say kids?  I could smell the barn.  And hopefully we're listening to this in our brand new sugar shack down in Costa Rica, living off of passive investments and pulling on permits.  If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the maps for.  There she is, the wreck of the Merchant.  If something happens to me, finish what I started.  Go for the gold, kids. Take care of each other, always.  I love you Bird.  I love you Coral Bug, even if I didn't always act like it.  I'll see you on the other side." 

As the tape recorder clicked off Coral took a stuttering breath as she wiped at her tear stained face, "JB," she choked out as her brother sat staring at the recorder in her hand.  "Baby Girl," JJ whispered tugging on her waist.

Turning towards JJ, Coral let out a choked sob before he pulled her into his arms.  Wrapping herself around him she cried into his shoulder.

Hearing the kitchen chair scrape against the floor Coral felt John B's arms come around her and JJ.  After a few seconds she felt both Kie and Pope join the group hug.  

Eventually their friends let go and her brother disappeared out the door with Kie and Pope following him leaving just Coral and JJ.  "Are you okay?" he asked as they made peanut butter sandwiches for everyone.

Sniffling she shrugged as she spread marshmallow fluff onto a piece of bread, "I think I'm numb," she told him.  "Don't let it bottle up," he warned her as they piled the sandwiches onto a plate and took them outside to the others.

Walking down the dock to where the others were Coral handed out the sandwiches while JJ grabbed two beers from the case John B had balanced on the rail in front of him.  Climbing up Coral straddled the railing in front of JJ who was leaning back against the support beam behind him.

"Come here," he told her motioning with the beer in his hand.  Sliding back she leaned against his chest while they ate, "Don't drop crumbs in my hair," she told him smiling up at him. 

"What about peanut butter?" he teased as she giggled.  "You better not.  Who knows how long electric will be out.  Till then cold showers it is," she said taking a bite of her sandwich. 

"You can use the shower at my house or even The Wreck," Kie offered, "My parents have the generators up and running."

"Thank you.  I'll let you know when I've had enough of the cold water," Coral told her. 

"So, uh, how much was it again?" JJ asked, switching the topic back to the gold. 

"Four hundred million split five ways would be 80 million," Pope answered from the bench he was sitting on. 

"What are you going to do with your 80 mil?" Kie asked, looking at Pope.  "Pay for college, in advance," he answered, "And also textbooks.  Those are expensives," he stated. 

Laughing Coral listened as Kie told them she wanted to make a double album about the OBX and the Pogues.

"What about you Coral?" Kie asked. 

"Honestly, I don't know."

"I'll tell you what we're gonna do, Baby Girl," JJ spoke up from behind her, "We're gonna get a big ass house over on Figure Eight and go full kook," he told her kissing the top of her head. 

Humming Coral nodded, "Yeah, we'll have like a million rooms and each of you will have your own.  Pope will be off at college but he'll come home on weekends same with Kie," she said winking at the two. 

"We could get like marble statues of ourselves and one of those stupid fucking koi ponds with the fish," JJ added as Kie laughed.

"What about you JB?" Pope asked looking over at the quiet boy. 

John B had been staring out over the darkened water and upon hearing his name he turned his head to look at his friends.  Slowly smiling he raised his beer can, "To going full kook."

Laughing they all raised their drinks as they repeated, "To going full kook."

The next morning Coral and Kie headed back to her house to take hot showers while the boys stayed behind for a cold shower at The Chateau, "How long do you think it'll take for the power to be restored to the Cut?" Kie asked as she opened her front door.

"Last big storm it took close to two weeks.  We really need to get a generator," Coral told her as she followed her upstairs to her room.

Once both girls had showered and changed they headed down to the kitchen to find something to eat while they waited for the boys to come pick them up, "So I need to tell you something," Kie said pulling a box of cheerios down from the cabinet along with two bowls.

Grabbing the milk out of the fridge Coral brought it to the counter, "Okay," she responded waiting for her friend.

"John B kissed me," she blurted out.  

"Ummmm, I'm sorry, what?"

"Yeah, he kissed me," Kie repeated as she poured cereal into the bowls along with the milk, "It was after the lighthouse and before we got arrested," she continued handing a bowl to Coral.

"What a hypocrite!" Coral exclaimed, "Giving JJ and I shit about the no Pogue on Pogue macking rule and then he kisses you."

"It totally didn't mean anything," Kie said taking a spoonful of her cereal, "I think he was just upset about everything and kind of just projected out."

"So you're not into him?  Because there have been a few instances where I wondered."

Shaking her head Kie swallowed another bite of her cereal before answering, "Not interested in that way.  I mean I love the boys but just as friends.  I wouldn't want to risk my friendship with any of them."

"But what if you're missing out on something?" Coral asked.

"I don't think I am," Kie replied, "How do you feel when you're with JJ?"

Furrowing her brow Coral shrugged, "Happy."

"Happy?  You don't have anything better than that?" Kie asked with a raise of her eyebrow.

Rolling her eyes Coral sighed, "I feel like he's the whole reason I exist.  To love him and to have him love me.  I mean we're sixteen years old but I know that he and I are going to always be what we are."

"See.  I don't feel that way when I look at John B or Pope," Kie told her, "I just see family," she said before looking out the window at the sound of a horn honking, "Looks like the boys are here."

Climbing into the back of the van Coral leaned between the seats kissing JJ who was in the passenger seat, "Hello," she greeted before sitting in the seat behind her brother who was in the driver's seat, "Where are we off too?"

"Heading to the hotel to use their internet," JJ answered, "Pretty sure I can get us in," he said holding up his employee badge.  "And what if you get caught?  You're gonna get fired," Coral commented.

"Won't matter after we get the gold," John B spoke up as he drove them over to Figure Eight to the hotel JJ bussed tables at.  "Besides it ain't like I'm employee of the month," JJ added with a snort.

Pulling up to the hotel JJ pulled out his gun, "Alright keep a look out.  We're behind enemy lines."

"Yo, come on Man just put that away," John B told him.  "You know," Pope said jumping out of the back of the van to come stand by JJ's open window, "I predict that taking a weapon into a four star hotel will likely cause more problems than they solve."

"Thank you, Pope," John B acknowledged pointing at the boy.

"Baby, I think you should keep the gun here," Coral told him as Kie poked her head between the seats.  "I swear to God JJ I'm gonna throw that thing into the ocean," she added.

Grabbing the gun from JJ's hand John B threw it back in the glove box before slamming it shut, "Dude, you can't grab a gun like that," JJ whined.

Jumping out of the back of the van along with Kie Coral opened JJ's door, "Forget the gun.  Let's go," she said taking his hand as he jumped out of the van.

Following JJ through the backdoor of the hotel into the kitchens the group made their way through the lobby to the computer room set up for guests.  Hurrying inside JJ shut the door behind them as Pope was already pulling up Google Earth.

"Okay so give me the coordinates," he said sitting in front of one of the computers.  

Pulling out the map John B read the coordinates off, "34, 57, 30 North.  75, 55, 42 West," he said as Pope typed them into the computer.  "So if this is off the deep end this isn't going to be much of a treasure hunt," Pope commented as they waited for the coordinates to pull up on screen.

Leaning over watching the computer zoom in John B pointed to the screen, "Shit, it's on the high side.  It's only 900 feet though."

"That's not too deep," JJ said leaning over the back of Pope's chair as he looked at the computer screen.  "Is that doable?" Kie asked.

Nodding JJ told her, "Totally doable."

Furrowing his brow Pope shook his head, "Okay will we be taking your personal submarine?"

"How do you know this Mr. Dive Master?" John B asked looking at JJ.  

"The salvage yard," JJ stated, "They got a drone that can drop a 1000 with a 360 degree camera and everything," he explained, "It's for like deep dives or something.  It's exactly what we need."

Contemplating John B nodded, "Okay, and can your dad get his grimy little hands on it?"

"Well, from what I hear my dad's grimy little hands got his ass fired.  I guess the salvage captain frowns on showing up shitfaced, turns out," JJ told them shrugging, "But the drone's there.  It's in the impound yard out back."

"Soooo.......we just need to get into the impound yard and steal it," Coral declared. 

Rolling his eyes, Pope moaned, "Can't we ever do anything legal for money?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.4K 576 11
john b and his twin sister, on an adventure to find their father who went missing to have a good time all the time, turns into a treasure hunt. one t...
268 4 9
Charlotte Routledge, John B's half sister, is a pogue. John B is her older brother. Charlotte was born just a year after him when her and John B's mo...
85.3K 536 36
Sav Routledge thought her summer was going to be completely laid back until her brother and friends found a wreck in the marsh that brought up a lot...
707K 8.5K 45
you are y/n maybank, jj's little sister. You meet rafe Cameron while you were cleaning his backyard. Rafe doesn't like pouges and your brother doesn'...