Fixing Indie❧Hemmings

By polarizemydoubt

❝When I tell you that you're beautiful, I don't just mean your appearance. I mean all of you; who and what yo... More

Fixing Indie:Hemmings
Prologue
0.1
0.2
0.3
0.4
0.5
0.6
Playlist
0.7
0.8
1.0
1.1
Future of Fixing Indie {aka Rolling Stones article]
BTS/GOT7 + Fixing Indie? + Kpop stories?

0.9

1K 55 7
By polarizemydoubt

Indie walked the last few steps before stopping at the entrance of her younger sister's school.She planted a kiss on the younger honey caramel girl's forehead watched her little sister enter the school building with two of her school friends before quickly walking down the sidewalk on the path to her own school.

She was going to be late. She had been so invested in her slumber that she didn't even hear her alarm clock going off this morning. Of course that resulted in her father (rudely) waking her up. Afterwards, he barely said two words to her as she scrambled around to get Camilla and herself dressed. And now here she was, power walking on the highway to hell,desperately hoping that she wouldn't be late.

Indie pulled her black beanie down over her messy curls, picking up her pace. She couldn't believe she had allowed herself to oversleep. She wish she could say she couldn't believe her father didn't notify her the night before that she might have to walk. But at the age of 16,she had grown too accustomed to his ways.

She exhaled deeply, her view of the school getting closer. She pushed her legs to walk faster. If she was lucky maybe she could make it before the second bell. By the time she entered the school building, teenagers were frantically collecting materials from their lockers and rushing to their first period class. She frowned at the sight of the crowded hallway. She carefully tried to manuever her way through the halls, making sure not to bump into people at their lockers or walking by. Successfully, she made it to her locker.

Sticking her bottom lip between her two teeth, she did the combination to unlock her locker. Once opened, she cared less about being tidy, grabbing one out and throwing another one in there. She closed her locker and started walking to first period. Luckily, there weren't that many people for her to have to make sure not to bump into.She thought she would have been okay when suddenly someone barrelled into her. The force had been so great that it knocked Indie off her balance and she crashed to the floor. Her book and binder flew out of her hands

"Can't you watch where you're going!?" someone sneered at her

Indie's blood turned cold as she looked up to see who the person was. In front of her stood one of the guys that bothered about two weeks ago. He was looking down at her like he didn't know whether to walk away in disgust or to kick her with the heel of his shoe.

If Indie had the confidence, she would have made it clear that he bumped into her. He wasn't the one that fell down, she was.

"I-I'm s-" Indie tried to say, still on the ground

He didn't stay to hear her apology, instead storming off, muttering something about being late and calling her a bunch of rude profanities. Indie felt her eyes become heavy, tears threatening to spill. She had the urge to grab her things and walk right back out of the school building. She sniffled, pulling her beanie back down. She was about to stand up when she heard a male voice say her name.

"Indie?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke didn't hesitate to extend his hand to help her up. To his surprise and relief, she didn't fight back, she took his hand and allowed him to help her up. It was then that he noticed that her eyes were wide and she was on the verge of crying. The look on her face wounded him. He'd willingly allow Ben to tease him for a month if it meant that Indie would never wear that hurt expression again.

He wanted-no he needed- to know why Indie was crying. What had lead this on? Did something happen at home? Or was she crying for the mere embarrassment of falling in the hallway?

He noticed Indie dusting herself off and grabbed her book and binder. Letting out a small sniffle,she took it gratefully. She put her arm through the other strap of her panda backpack. His heart throbbed when he noticed the tear tracks on her face.

"T-thank you." she stammered, shifting from one foot to the other

He opened his mouth to respond that it was okay but instead blurted out, "What happened?"

He watched as her eyes dilate slightly. Whatever had happened apparently made her nervous for her body had stiffened and she wasn't looking at him anymore. He swore he could hear the loud beating of her heart in his eardrums.

"I-I'm okay." she stammered, her eyes on the ground

"You're crying." he noted softly, contradicting her previous statement

He mentally facepalmed after realizing what he had said. That wasn't what he was supposed to say. He was supposed to ask her was she alright, see what had happened, not state the obvious. Good job, Luke the idiot.

"Indie, I-" he broke off when the tardy bell blared loudly through the hallways

"Thanks for helping me,Luke." she said to him, softly

"No-wait-"

Luke let out a breath in defeat, watching the once crying girl, turn down the hallway away from him. He sighed, running a hand through his blonde hair. He hated that every time he tried to get close to her, something had to get in the way.

You're not going to give up though, are you? his conscience asked him

The image of Indie crying flashed through his mind again. Her large eyes stained red and her trembling hands.

"No," Luke whispered as if his conscience could hear him,"Of course not."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paranoia began to manifest in her mind. Did anyone see what had happened in the hallway? Did anyone hear the names he had called her? Did the guy tell people? What about Luke? What did he think of her? Did she finally scare him off? Was that even what she wanted?

Breathing slowly began to become an issue. Ice began running through her veins.An ache had formed in her lungs. Her stomach had clenched tight and her hands had began to shake. Her heart felt like it was trying to break through her chest.

She didn't know what the teacher was saying. She couldn't hear, all she could hear were the rude names the guy had called her. All she could see was her walking down the hallway being taunted by everyone. Her fears were playing in her mind like a movie.

Indie didn't realize that her best friend had noticed what was happening. She didn't hear Sami constantly call her name only for Indie to reply with more shallow breaths and trembly movements.

When Sami got the attention of the teacher, Indie didn't stop shaking to try to persuade to him that she was fine. Didn't say a word when Sami informed the teacher that a panic attack was taking place and that she needed to get Indie out of there.

She didn't cringe like she would have when the teacher gave her a look of sympathy, quickly writing a note for her to leave. She didn't even realize she had been crying until her vision was suddenly blurred.

Even as Sami grabbed her hand and led her out of the classroom, the walls still felt like they were closing in, like they were going to suffocate Indie. She tried to stop walking, but Sami kept talking to her softly, saying everything was going to be okay.

It was hard to tell Sami not to take her to the nurse, when her breath was shallow and the voice she had appeared to be sucked out of her body. She had the urge to run not just from Sami, but from her entire body and existence.

Sami kicked the door of the nurse's office opened. Frightned, the nurse hopped up to see what the commotion was. Her facial expression changed when she noticed Indie. The nurse grabbed Indie's hand and sat her down on the cot.

"What happened?" the nurse asked Sami

"I don't know." Sami said, her voice clearly panicked

"Indie." she could hear the nurse trying to communicate with her, but once again all she could hear were people taunting her, see visions of what had happened earlier

The hyperventilating increased.

When she wasn't impressed by the nurse, Sami moved her out of the way and grabbed both sides of Indie's face.

"Indie, breathe,it's okay." she told her, trying not to showcase her panic anymore

Indie didn't know what to listen to. The taunting words in her mind or Sami's speaking out to her. She didn't stop shaking.

"It's okay. Breathe. Just breathe."

"Indie, try counting back from ten." the nurse suggested, kneeling next to Sami

"Come on, Indie." Sami encouraged,"Start counting.I'll start for you. Ten."

"Nine." the nurse counted next

Indie let out another shallow breath. "Eight."

"Yeah, come on you can do it."

"Seven."

The trembling in Indie's body started to alleviate. Sami grabbed her hands to help stop the trembling.

"Six."

Sami spoke to her again and this time, Indie was able to focus on what she was saying. Her vision became a little clearer.

"Five."

"That's it, Indie, keep counting." the nurse nodded at her,"You're doing great."

"Four."

Indie's heartbeat began to slow down. It wasn't pounding in her ears as much.

"Three."

"You're going to be okay, now." Sami assured her

"Two."

Indie began to squeeze Sami's hands back.

"One."

"You did it." Sami said, smiling tearfully at her. Indie hadn't even noticed she had begun to cry.

Indie nodded, not feeling like speaking.

"Indie, do you want us to call your father? To see if he can come pick you up?"

Indie frantically shook her head. Her father would hate being interrupted at work. He wasn't going to have any sympathy for her and she knew it.She met Sami's eyes, hoping for a sense of understanding.

"No, don't call her dad. Call her aunt." Sami said, realizing what Indie wanted

The nurse nodded, retreating to the other side of the room for the phone. She brought the phone back over, handing it to Indie. Indie dialed her aunt's number, pressing the phone to her ear. Her hopes lifted slowly when she heard the hello, only to crash back down when she realized it was just the starting line of her aunt's voicemail. She bit her bottom lip, pressing the red button to end the call.

"No answer?" Sami asked, deflated

"No." Indie whispered, looking down

"If you want, we can try your father."

"I think-" Sami faltered, looking at Indie to make sure she said the right thing,"I think she'd rather just sit in here for the rest of the period. She'll keep trying her aunt on her cell phone."

The nurse didn't look convinced, that was the best solution. She eyed Indie carefully. "What about you, Indie? Is that what you think is best."

Indie quickly glanced between her best friend and the nurse. After exhaling, she slowly nodded her head.

"Are you sure?" the nurse asked her

"Yeah," Indie spoke this time,"I'm sure."

The nurse exhaled through her nose. "Okay, it's your call. Sami, I'll write you a note back to class."

"Can I just stay in here with her for a few more minutes?" the blonde girl pleaded with the older woman

"Just for a few minutes, when I return, you have to go back to class." she directed her next sentence at Indie,"I'm going to get you a water bottle. If you feel another panic attack start, count to twenty."

Indie nodded as the nurse exited the office. Once they were alone, Indie felt her eyes began to water, finally realizing what had just taken place.

"Hey, hey." Sami grabbed her shoulders

"Did I just-did I-" Indie tried to ask

"Indie, breathe." Sami assured her,"Breathe. Just breathe."

It's okay, Indie. Just breathe.

~~~~~~~~~~

Luke groaned when the coach announced they were going to be playing one of his least favorite sports in gym today. Basketball.

He was still on edge from what happened this morning. He had been hoping he'd catch her before she went into one of her classes, but he hadn't seen her. And while he'd rather be finding someone to figure out where she was at, he had to be in here playing stupid basketball.

"Soccer is such a much better sport." he muttered to himself

"Luke, Luke!"

Luke scrunched his eyebrows up, turning around to see Calum running towards him. Calum stopped to catch his breath, after stopping beside him. Luke raised an eyebrow.

"What is it, Calum?"

"Did you hear about Indie?"

Luke blinked, all other sound vanising like in a foggy haze. He really hated that question.

"Um, no." Luke cleared his throat,"What about her?"

"She had a panic attack in one of her classes. I caught Ashton talking to Sami about it."

Luke's heartbeat quickened and he began playing with his lip ring. Indie had had a panic attack. He knew that whatever had happened to Indie this morning was affecting her more than she let on. He knew he should have made her tell him what was wrong. Maybe had he forced her to talk, he and Calum wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

"But she's okay." Luke paused, looking for confirmation,"Right?"

"I think so." Calum answered, bouncing on the balls of his feet,"She went back to class, so that has to be a good sign."

"Wait." Calum did not just say...

"She's still here?! Why the hell didn't she go home?! She shouldn't be at school."

But if she goes home, I can't talk to her.

Calum quirked an eyebrow at Luke's behavior. Okay so maybe, Luke had raised his voice a little and was looking at Calum like he was the one that had allowed Indie to go back to class. However he wasn't in the mood for Calum's judgment right now.

"No one picked up the phone." Calum said after Luke glared at him to keep talking

"That's terrible."

It made Luke angry to know that no one in Indie's family cared to pick up their phones when Indie was in distress. He knew his mom and dad would never just not pick up the phone. And if they missed a call, he knew they'd make sure to call back as soon as they could. That's what family does.

"I think she's going to be fine, honestly."

Luke couldn't tell whether Calum actually meant that or if he was just trying to be positive. But Calum had known Indie longer, so he obviously knew more.

Luke felt a sour taste in his mouth at that recognition. Everyone in their little group knew more about Indie than he did. He was just on the outskirts, barely grazing the surface of who she was. It didn't set right in his stomach.

"Okay, I think it's time you get your mind off of this." Calum said, placing a hand on Luke's back

"I don't want to." Luke mumbled, crossing his arms

"I know," Calum began pushing him towards the other students,"That's why I'm making you do it."

~~~~~~~~~~

The first thing Indie encountered when she walked out of her classroom was someone grabbing her hand and pulled her away from the crowd of students going to lunch. On impulse, she stepped hard on the foot of whoever had grabbed her hand.She was about to snatch her hand away and punch the person when she heard a familiar voice say "ow" and grunt. She looked up to see it was Luke kneeling down slightly at the pain in his foot.

"Oh my gosh, Luke! What are you doing?!" she hissed

"I needed to talk to you." he said straightening up

Indie just blinked at him. Instead of feeling nervous, all she could think about how what he just said make him sound like a doofus.

"I'm not that much of a doofus." Luke mumbled

Indie's cheeks reddened. She couldn't believe she said that last part out loud. May Queen Julie Andrews help her.

"What is it?" she asked, her face still flushed

"Are you okay." he asked first

Indie shrugged. She honestly didn't have an answer. She hoped she was okay though. Luke just looked at her for a moment before hugging her. She stiffened, unsure of what to do. Her heartbeat had quickened and she wondered if Luke heard how she stopped breathing for about two seconds.

"Calum told me what happened." he said softly

Indie grimaced. So that's why he was here. He felt sorry for her.

Indie opened her mouth to speak but he kept talking not allowing her too.

"I know you're not going to want to go to lunch," Luke looked in her eyes to her discomfort,"but I don't think you should be by yourself."

She looked down and realized he was still holding her hand. Her cheeks burned red.

"I'd actually-"

"I didn't ask you anything." he cut her off, beginning to walk

Indie's mouth fell open slightly when he began to tugged on her hand causing her to walk after him. What even was happening right now?

"We're going to the library." he answered

Indie mentally face palmed. She had said something out loud again. This was just not okay.

What really wasn't okay was the fact that Indie was allowing Luke to lead her to the library. She hadn't snatched her hand away and she hadn't told him to leave her alone. For some reason, she was just following behind him like it was second nature.

Once they reached library, Indie planted her feet on the ground, not allowing Luke to walk any further. He stopped and turned to face her.

"What's wrong?" he asked her

She chewed the corner of her lip, not meeting his gaze.

"I know what you're doing." she admitted

"What do you mean?"

"You're just trying to get me to vent about my problems."

He inhaled sharply at that. She knew it, he didn't really care about what was wrong.She snatched her hand away. He didn't say anything for a few moments before grabbing her hand back.

"I want you to vent about your problems," he squeezed her hand," but I won't force you to."

She gave him a look showcasing her skepticism. He fiddled with his lip ring before opening his mouth to speak again.

"I'm not gonna vent to you." she informed him, cutting him off

"I'm gonna take that as your stubborn way of saying deal." he said before walking in the library, his hand still tugging her along

And just like before, she allowed him to.

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:Gosh, I love Lindie so much and I have so much planned for them! They're just too cute. I can't deal with it.

But on a more serious note...

When I first started this story, I was so afraid that no one was going to like or be able to relate to it. I thought maybe Indie was just a character in my head that I should keep to myself to avoid my feelings being hurt. But then you guys started voting and reading and now I'm over 1400 reads. (LIKE THAT IS THE BEST THING EVER.)

Like you guys don't know how happy it makes me to know that you guys enjoy reading this. That you have patience with how long I take to update and even when I think a chapter is terrible, you guys like it and vote for it anyway. It literally makes me smile and fangirl every single time.

So thank you all so much for reading and voting. You guys are hella rad and I love you all to infinity and beyond.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

454K 15.9K 23
"Fat fat fat," Luke clawed at his body. "All I am, is fat." - Luke Hemmings is ugly. Luke Hemmings is fat. Luke Hemmings likes to puke. Luke Hemming...
8.7K 2.1K 32
◇ completed ◇ Are you a girl, a woman, a lady or anything feminine? Then, I welcome you to this cruel world which sets beauty standards to tell you...
2.6K 169 20
"Go for someone who is proud to have you. Not just because you're pretty. But because they value you as a person." COMPLETED
2.7K 48 10
"you were beautiful before he said you were." - *warning ; sexual situations, abuse, rape mention, violence, strong language, disorders, anger issue...