Skinny Dipping At Dusk

By PeytonNovak

When seventeen year old Mia is sent by her mother to go work at an all-boys summer camp, she can’t help but w... More

Summer Camp?
Early Riser
Camp Fire?
A Cold Night..
Locked In...
Frozen Patties
The Ropes Course
A Well Needed Rescue
Twenty Three Is Still Too Old...
The Party Place
Slender Man
Risky Business
Mixed Emotion's And Treasure Hunting
Nathan
Not Sexy?
The Hot Spot.
I Guess I'm Just A Child..
Oh No He Didn't
And You Knew?
One Direction Towel
One Less Man...
Landon's POV
An Unexpected Surprise
A Disaster Double Date.
The Ex
A Present From Landon?
This Is NOT A Date
Just Friends
An Accidental Kiss
Gone.
Breaking And Entering
House Visit
Stay?
Mistake?
Not Okay
The "L" Word
Don't Push Me Away
The End Of Summer Camp.
Epilogue

Disappointment

83.4K 2.8K 1K
By PeytonNovak

WARNING LENGTHY AUTHORS NOTE!!!

Everyone, I am aware that I’ve been super slow lately. Truth is I have a life, one where I’d love to pursue a writing career. The thing is I need to get into a good collage which means high school is so important right now. I’m only a sophomore, but this year is important. My grades have not been dramatically dropping, but compared to my straight A’s last year, I’m not doing as well. This means that from this upload, probably to about one or two more of my uploads will be slow. This week I had to do a five page essay on A Tale of Two Cities. I also happened to have two quizzes and a health exam on the vagina and penis and STDS. Lovely stuff right? Not. You have no idea how many definitions I had to remember. On top of that, I have either a two hour practice of basketball, choir meetings, or  game which can stretch out from after school till like seven o’clock. I’m very busy, and really try my best to upload. I’m not going MIA, not like I did on my first book, I’m just trying to get back on my feet with school, because it’s important to me. I hope you all understand. Next two weeks is exam stuff so be ready!

Well, enjoy.

Also, this is unedited just because I wanted to get it up right away. As soon as it’s edited I’ll switch them!

There was a long silent pause before Julie pushed by me. I knew from the look on her face that what was about to happen couldn’t be good. And I was right.

“Gavin!” Julie shouted, racing over to the bed. “What are you doing?”

I stared wide eyed as Gavin fumbled with his words. “Would you believe me if I said trying to sleep?”

Julie’s eyes transformed into tiny little slits as she looked back at me. Her face turned red in anger, and I waited for the blow. Surprisingly in a low voice she said, “Gavin please go back to your cabin. I will talk to you about the rules of lights out.”

I watched as Gavin stood and neared the door. “Really Julie, it’s not what it looks-“

“Go,” she demanded sternly.

I gave him a sympathetic look, which he returned as he left. My heart raced against my chest and Julie turned to face me. There was only a look of disappointment on her face, no anger. “Julie, he was right. Nothing happened. We were really just trying to sleep.”

“Mia, I thought you were more mature than this. When your mother sent in your résumé and I saw how involved you were with school; saw how good your grades were I thought you were perfect for the job. Now I see otherwise.”

I bit my lip as Julie’s face displayed more and more disappointment. “Well then believe me when I say we were really just sleeping. Gavin’s a friend, nothing more.”

She nodded her head. “You may be telling me the truth, but do you still think it is appropriate if a camp counselor sleeps with someone attending the camp, who is of the opposite sex and younger.  You are almost eighteen Mia, if I’m not wrong you’re eighteen by tomorrow, so start acting like it. From now on, I don’t want to catch you and Gavin hanging around. Be careful.”

Without another word, Julie stepped past me and onto my cabins front steps. “Oh and don’t expect a birthday party tomorrow, you won’t be getting one.”

I winced as she marched towards Gavin’s cabin, determination in her eyes. Dear lord I have unleashed the monster inside Julie.

**

I stepped into the kitchen at exactly seven in the morning. The smell of already cooking food made my stomach growl, but I ignored the sound. The only thing on my mind was Julie. Never in my life had I ever disappointed an adult like I had disappointed her. And today I was eighteen, a fellow adult. I didn’t feel like one though.

After putting on my apron, I finally noticed Owen. He was watching me from the other side of the kitchen with a smile on his face. I looked down at my hands the second we made eye contact and went to the sink.

Turning on the hot water, I scrubbed my fingers clean. I almost screamed when I felt Owen’s shoulder brush mine. “Jesus don’t scare me like that!”

He frowned. “Why did you lie to me Mia?”

I was shocked by his words. “I didn’t lie to-“

“You said you were scared of me getting in trouble yesterday. It was because of you age. Why didn’t you just tell me that you were turning eighteen today? On and by the way, Happy Birthday”

Out of frustration, I bit my lip and even drew a little blood. He was right, I sort of did lie to him, but it was just easier that way. I wasn’t even thinking about my birthday though. And if I would have told him that I was turning eighteen, he would have keep on trying.

“Look Owen, I really wasn’t thinking about it, and like I said, my age isn’t the only reason we’re not together.”

I could tell that I was frustrating Owen, but I didn’t care. Like I had said yesterday, he had already lied to me once and I wouldn’t allow it again.

“But I really like you Mia. And now that you’re eighteen-“

“It would still be unprofessional,” I cut in.

There was a long pause before he spoke again. “What if I talk to Julie about it, she would understand. There’s nothing wrong about it anymore.”

I rolled my eyes. Was there something wrong with us before? “She and I aren’t really in the best place right now.”

“What do you mean?” he asked immediately.

Well, what I mean is that she caught me sleeping with Gavin. Not really sleeping, but he was in my bed after hours and that didn’t sit right with her. It’s not like we were even doing anything, and I was just asking him to leave. I didn’t understand why Julie thought it was such a big deal.

“We just, look she’s a little mad at me,” I said even though I wasn’t telling him the whole truth. But it didn’t matter; Owen didn’t deserve to know the whole truth from me.

He sighed. “Are you going to tell me what really happened? I’m not stupid; I can tell when you’re lying.”

Owen moved closer to me, but I side stepped him and headed towards the fresh fruit. Ignoring the annoyed sound that came from his mouth, I grabbed a knife and started cutting. After a few seconds, Owen was standing on the other side of the counter.

“Just tell me what happened and I won’t bug you anymore.”

Sighing and dropping the knife and told him what happened. How she caught Gavin and I together, even though I was just asking him to leave. Not that we would do anything anyway.

“That’s what you get for being a stupid little girl,” Owen finally said releasing a huge breath.

I glared at him across the counter. “You already know I’m not a little girl Owen.”

He laughed. “Yeah I definitely know you don’t look like a little girl.”

I could tell that he was referring to the other night when my towel fell. My face felt warm, and I looked down at my feet. “Don’t be embarrassed about your body Mia, you’re smoking. And you defiantly don’t need those little boys, you need a man.”

Owen moved around the counter and stepped in front of me. “Landon’s seventeen. He’s turning eighteen at the end of summer. He’s not a kid.”

Owen chuckled. “Oh so you like Landon too.”

I rolled my eyes. God Owen was more childish then me! So what if I had some feelings for Landon. At least he didn’t lie to me. “Look, why don’t we just get finished with breakfast.”

The cook placed his hands on my hips before pushing me back and stepping towards the sink to wash his hands. I watched as he started taking ingredients out of the cabinets. “Stop slacking!” he called out without even looking back.

Happy that he was done talking, I started back up with the fresh fruit. “Mia, if you could take a second I would like to talk to you.”

I froze at the sound of Julie’s voice. Dropping my knife, I turned around to face her. She was standing in the kitchen doorway with a smile on her face. A smile? What did that mean? I thought she was mad at me. Maybe it was just an act in front of Owen.

I turned to the cook, and with a grin he nodded towards her. It was his way of saying “yes”, and I worriedly shuffled out into the cafeteria with Julie.

“Mia I might have been a little harsh with you yesterday. I was stopping by your cabin because Landon had told me you were at the bowling alley fire with him earlier. I just wanted to see if you were okay, and when I found Gavin in your bed I lost it.”

Surprised by her words I stuttered. “You but-a you, you were right though.”

She simply nodded her head. “I was, but that the same time I remember being a teenage girl. It’s hard, but you still need to see how-“

“Unprofessional I was acting. I know, and I take fully responsibility for what happened,” I cut in.

Julie nodded her head. There was a long silence as I looked for anyone to rescue me, but there was no one in sight. I was alone.

“Well Mia happy birthday. Now that you are eighteen, you need to act like it. I don’t want another incident with Gavin,” she finally said releasing some of the awkward tension that had built up over the silence.

I smiled. “Of course not. Anyway, nothing happened. He’s just some silly little boy with a crush on me. Nothing I can’t handle.”

My words were harsh, and maybe half truthful but suddenly my breath caught and my voice hitched. Gavin stood in the doorway of the cafeteria, a look of hurt in his eyes. He hadn’t heard me had he?

“Oh Gavin what are you doing up here? Breakfast isn’t served for another hour?” Julie asked noticing him.

His eyes grew wide at the sight of her and his voice cracked when he spoke up. “Oh the other day Owen asked me for some help in the kitchen. He said that breakfast today would take more people two prepare.”

By the look on his face, I could tell that he had overheard me. Biting my lip, I said my goodbyes to Julie and followed Gavin back to the kitchen. Just as he was about to open the door, I spoke.

“Gavin?”

One second passed.

Two

Three

Four

Five.

“Yeah?” he finally replied without emotion.

I took a deep breath. “Are you okay? You seem-“

“I’m fine.” Without another word he flung open the door to the kitchen and stalked in. I followed further behind with a feeling of guilt.

I only said that stuff so Julie would leave it alone. I mean, yeah he had a crush on me but he wasn’t a silly little boy. Gavin was one of my best friends, I could never think of him as some pest I have to get rid of. Trying to tune out Gavin and Owen’s mindless chatter I stalked over to the fridge and started loading a cart with milk and juice. For what seemed like hours I tried my best to stay away from everyone. After everything was done cooking, Gavin started towards the cafeteria doors.

“Wait Gavin!” I called dropping my apron on the hanger and running after him.

When he didn’t stop, I caught up to him and put my hand on his shoulder. “You know I didn’t mean any of that right. It was just something to tell Julie so she would-“

“Don’t bother. I understand,” he cut me off with in a cruel voice before I could say anything else.

Sighing, I let him walk towards a table of guys and sit down without a tray.

“That’s what you get when you choose the young ones Mia. They’re all moody and adolescent.”

The sound of Owen’s irritable voice filled my ears and I sighed one again. “I didn’t choose anyone Owen, just stop. You’re acting like a child.”

He laughed. “Why because I like to get what I want?”

“No,” I said crossing my arms over my chest.

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Yes.”

“No,” he laughed. “Oh wait you tricked me that’s not fair!”

Smiling to myself, I headed towards the back door of the kitchen. A well needed run would take my mind off all this craziness. “Owen you’ll have a better chance with Julie than me so you should just stop already.”

Not waiting for a response, I hurried out the back door and into the sun. It beat down on my tan skin as I fast walked my way down the cabin. Boys from the camp seemed to pour from their small cabins and towards the cafeteria-all with sleepy eyes and ruffled hair. I watched as Landon shuffled out of his cabin wearing basketball shorts and a cut off. His arms were showing, and I could help but practically drool at his muscles.

Ever since the fire I had been thinking about him. I mean, I didn’t expect him to pop into my mind as I searched the crowds for familiar faces. Don’t get me wrong, Gavin would have been worrying me too but I already knew he was safe. With Landon I felt like my whole world would collapse if he didn’t make it out alright.

It’s silly, I know. Landon’s a jerk and always will be but I guess that’s what attracts me to him. Owen would be too easy- he already wants me and practically try’s jumping me every time I’m in the same room as him. Gavin has a huge crush on me, so that would be easy too. Maybe not anymore since he’s mad at me but Landon would be the ultimate challenge. Not that I think of love-or relationships as a challenge but I have never met a guy like Landon who falls for a girl hard enough to be in a real relationship.

His type is always jumping from girl to girl, not staying too long because if they do real feeling start to form.

“Mia, you’re starting to creep me out.”

At the sound of Landon’s voice, I blinked a few times. He stood right in front of me, with all the other guy’s continuing towards the cafeteria without him.

“What?” I finally asked.

He laughed. “You were staring at me. Like all creepy; I might have even saw drool.”

His words made my cheeks flush red but I laughed. “You wish.”

Landon rolled his eyes and started towards the kitchen again.  He only made it a few feet before I reach over and pulled him back by me. “Wait,” I breathed out.

He stepped aside from the path. “Yeah?”

“Uh, well I was wondering how you were doing. I mean, with the fire and everything. Is Carly okay?”

The words came out really fast, but somehow Landon managed to understand me. He nodded. “Yeah everything’s fine. The paramedics had a hard time calming Carly down, but they were able to eventually. I’m fine though.”

I nodded my head not knowing what to say. I wasn’t surprised Carly needed some sort of attention to calm down. I mean, when I found her and Gavin her hysterical crying had turned into sobs and hiccups. It was strange.

“Did everyone make it out okay?” I finally asked.

Landon’s eyes were fixed on my lips, and after a few more seconds he replied. “Yeah I think there were a few injuries but everyone was okay. The place will take a while to get back up and running though.”

Knotting my fingers together, I nodded once again. It was all that I seemed able to do. “Well I guess I’m sorry about how I acted towards you the other day. You didn’t mean for that kid to read your diary, so I guess it’s not your fault.”

“Journal,” he said almost immediately, “and thanks for the apology I guess.”

An awkward silence fell between the two of us and I bit my lip. What was I supposed to say now. Releasing a breath, I took a step back. “Okay well I’ll see you later I guess.”

Turning around I practically ran towards my dorm. I didn’t get far before I heard Landon’s voice call out to me.

“Oh and happy birthday Mia! Happy eighteen!”

Smiling, I kept on my way towards the cabin. Okay, so he hadn’t forgot about my birthday. But I didn't really ever remember telling him…

Shrugging my shoulders, I rounded the corner to my cabin and nearly screamed when I saw my mom and Nathan standing at the top of my steps.

“Happy birthday!” they both called out.

Okay, so maybe today wouldn’t be all that bad.

 ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS UNEDITED!

Okay everyone, not as exciting as the last chapter-I know. Oh well! Hope you enjoyed please vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.4K 258 34
('I Will Never' holds the title of My Worst Creation. Viewer discretion is heavily advised:]) Schools out, and your mother finally agrees to send you...
163K 3.6K 24
Isabelle Mason is just your normal teenage girl who wants to have the summer to herself, instead her mother sends her off to a summer camp that she t...
7.3K 395 80
Belle and her step sister Megan are sent to a camp for the summer. But they don't know where they are at and they don't care. A cannibal break out h...
9.8K 176 16
I will try to update this book as much as possible. Hopefully 1-2 chapters a day. If you don't like this book, then that's okay! I hope everyone else...