Wings of Honor: Tales of Pyrr...

By FishyFish831

They're here. Who's here? "See for yourself. Stay low." I whispered. The two dragons snuck up alongside me... More

Autor's Notes & Disclaimer
Chapter 1: The Opening
Chapter 2: Hope
Chapter 3: A New World
Chapter 4: Scavengers
Chapter 5: First Contact
Chapter 6: On An Eagle's Wings
Chapter 7: Prisoner of Peace
Chapter 8: Finding Scavengers
Chapter 9: A Visionary
Chapter 10: Jade Mountain
Chapter 11: Basic Training
Chapter 12: War?
Chapter 13: Scouting
Chapter 14: The Attack
Chapter 15: Revelation
Chapter 16: Banishment
Chapter 17: Baptism By Firescales
Chapter 18: A New Normal
Chapter 19: Allies On The Axis
Chapter 20: To The Moon And Back
Chapter 21: Lunch And Lessons
Chapter 22: Saving Grace
Chapter 23: War Were Declared
Chapter 24: Begining Of The Crusade
Chapter 25: Know Thy Enemy
Chapter 27: Proofing
Chapter 28: No Hopeless Soul
Chapter 29: The Siege of Jade Mountain
Chapter 30: The Last Eagle
Final Note
Chapter 31: Aftermath

Chapter 26: Helping Humans

180 2 1
By FishyFish831

We managed to sneak around to the place we needed to be to evacuate the Indestructible City. The walls and fighting were on the other side, we were safer. When I closed my eyes and saw what Marvin was thinking, I was so scared for him. His mind saw everything and made out a terrible image for me.
Humans forced into poverty because of that one scavenger? This was worse than the Scorpion Den.
"Moon?" Qibli brushed his wing against me.
Not all of them were bad though. Qibli, Torn, and the Outclaws aren't. "I'm okay. Thank you Qibli."
He only nodded his head. "Did you get any word from Marvin?"
"No. Not since he told us that Goldman was spotted, and they're preparing the defense."
He looked back over at the city. We were close, close enough to be targeted by the ballista that nearly killed Qibli. Winter, in fact, was still hiding in the woods. He wasn't going to risk anything, no matter what Marvin said was going on.
"I don't like this Moon. He should've brought more people. We should've been there."
"No. They would've killed us on sight."
Turtle came out and sat with us, Kinkajou followed close behind. We could see humans running up and down the walls, like they were preparing something.
"Dragons!" A voice came out from behind us. Sergeant Kish briskly walked up to us.
"Good evening to you all."
Even Winter appeared behind him.
"So, as per Marvin's order, I suggest we start heading over for phase 4."
Me and Qibli both met each other.
"Okay. It's time to go."
"Indeed."
"Climb on."
I lowered myself, and Kish climbed on. We all took flight, heading towards the city.
Marvin! We're here! Where are we landing?
Middle of town. A bazar. I told them to clear it, but I don't think they did. Just crush it.
What?
Their lives are more important than a few goods. Just find a spot to land and land. They shouldn't fire at you.
I got hung up when he said "shouldn't" but it was too late now. We flew over the city, watching a few terrified scavengers look up at us. We landed in the middle of the city, like Marvin said. There were a few market stands, which crumpled easily under me. I carefully nudged them aside with my tail. Clearing an area for my friends.
"Great! You're here."
McManis was there to meet us.
"The attack has already commenced. We'll hold them as long as we can, but we need to get as many people away to position Zebra as fast as possible."
"Then start now." Kish slid down. "Prefer to line them up, two lines from either side. Form a queue, build platforms, whatever the hell you need to to get as many people away as possible."
"They have hot air balloon baskets. Big enough for six people, we need to harness the dragons though."
"Okay, use rope. Lots of rope. I suggest we all move quickly."
McManis nodded and dashed off. Kish came back with spools of rope.
"I'll help," Qibli said.
Together, they draped it over my neck and lower back, behind my wings. Then doubled back on itself to make a sort of harness and connecter that could be quickly attached and detached to the large baskets nearby.
Once I was done, I grabbed more rope for the rest of my friends.
How's it coming along Moon?
I paused when I heard Marvin's voice.
We are getting harnessed up now.
Remember, these people have lived in fear of dragons their whole life. Take it easy with them please, and don't engage unless absolutely necessary.
Okay. I will.
I'm out.
Even in a mental conversation, he still acts like he's on the radio.
"Moon! You're up!"
Kish ran up to the growing crowd of people.
"Six in the basket, please! No more, no less. Families may be separated, you will regroup! Do not leave where you've been dropped off. Stay together, stay safe!"
He crowded them in. I took to the air, before slowly descending and hovering so Kish could loop the connecter around. He did.
"Right of way Moon!" He waved.
I beat my wings hard. The sudden weight stopped me for a moment, but I managed to lift up the basket. The humans inside held onto the sides while I flew over and away. I managed to get a glimpse of the battle raging only a little further away. Aside from Marvin, the soldiers were all nervous or scared.
I shook my head, trying to push them away. I needed to save these scavengers. The flight was short, but it was far enough away. I landed just far enough for the scavengers to disembark. They did, just as Qibli came into view.
"Qibli!"
"Moon! They're getting close to the wall, we have to hurry!"
I double-checked to make sure they were all off, before flying as fast as I could back to the city.
He was right. The battle was not going in our favor. Enemy humans swarmed towards the city, and they were getting closer to the walls.
They'll hold for a little while. Just keep men moving. Out.
I landed, Kish got more people in the basket, and I took off again. Every time, I saw the mob get closer. But the crowd at the evacuation zone was also growing. But both were moving fast. The nervousness was growing in everything, and my raindrops couldn't stop every emotion from getting to me. I flew as fast as I could, but I could tell the five of us would not get everyone out in time. I came down to land and get more when I heard over Kish's radio.
"Reinforcements! Reinforcements approaching from the southeast and west! Dragons! Closing fast!"
Kish motioned me up, and I got to see them. A group of SandWings were coming this way. On the other side, I made out a faintly camouflaged group of RainWings. I hovered in awe.
The cavalry's here. Keep going. We're fighting to the bitter end!
The way he said that made me shiver. But I remembered his jacket, Marvin would not be harmed. The other dragons also began to help. There were chains of dragons, lifting out humans away from the city. Some had the designated baskets, some had only platforms, and a few carried scavengers on their backs. But more and more people were getting out. We might be able to rescue them all!
Right before I landed, Kish caught me.
"Marvin needs you! Leave your harness, meet him at the fortress!"
I landed in front of him, and he untied my ropes. I lifted off again.
"The fortress!"
I flew low and fast towards the big structure closer to the fighting. Things zipped and whistled by me as I descended. Finding Marvin, McManis, Travers, and the Invincible Lord. He was filled with terror when I landed before him.
"A Night Dragon." The older human gasped.
"NightWing." Marvin clarified. "Now listen closely. Whatever my college wants is in here. I need to know, what kinds of loot or treasure is in here that someone could want."
"Pretty much everything. All our gold and resources are stored here."
"Goldman has no use for gold or anything of material value. Think magic or dragon related." McManis blurted out. The man just stuttered.
"There's no time. Any minute, that wall'll be breached." Marvin took a breath. That's it. No more waiting. Secrets have cost lives. "Blow it."
"Wait!"
"Blow the damn hinges! Move!"
McManis dragged the man away, Travers went up and placed yellow boxes on the hinges, connected with a wire.
"Comp B Moon. Best get to cover." Those blocks have a deadly range of 20 meters per block. Anything in the open will be filled with shrapnel. Why aren't you moving Moon already?
I bounded away to get behind a building. I only looked around the corner to see Travers.
"Fire in the hole!"
Travers pulled something and it started to hiss.
"Fire in the hole!"
"Get down!"
Marvin grabbed Travers as he ran past, I ducked behind the wall. An explosion rocked the ground, and then a thud. The big door was knocked down. Marvin ran up to it, heading inside.
"Cover him, Moon."
The other two headed inside, leaving me without a means to talk to him. He looked on at me, blinking. He was scared to move, but I also saw his character. He had a deep hatred of dragons, one that made my own mind ache. He was more scared of me than Marvin, even though we were rescuing them.
"Yibble Yibble. Yibble"
He talked idly, but I saw an image of another Nightwing swooping down on a family. I shook my head, trying to keep afloat and alert. I focused on Marvin's mind. Somehow, he remained calm and confident, although he had a sense of urgency about him.
Not here. Or here. Damn, where the hell would I put it? Wait! McManus, what do you got? Travers, I don't think it's in a golden vase. Looks nice though. Wait! Lean on that again! An invisible hallway! Okay, bayonets, close quarters. Let's do this bois.
I felt him going underground. The battle all came back to me, an explosion rocked close by. I felt minds moving through where the walls should be.
Hurry Marvin. They've broken through.
Good copy. I think we just found what Goldman wants.
I heard them come back up. The both of us turned to meet him. Marvin was followed by his two soldiers. He carried a large leather cylinder.
"Do you know what this is?"
The Invincible Lord was filled with fear. Marvin opened it and showed it to me. I recognized them all too well.
"The pieces of Darkstalker's scroll! How?"
"They found them, drifting in the wind. Figured they must be important." The older human said.
"Well apparently so!" McManis boomed out.
"We need to get this and everyone else away from here as soon as possible."
"They've already broken through, and only half of the city is evacuated!"
"Well, we'll fight to the end. As many citizens, as many as we can. Not until we're completely overrun, will we retreat. Take this Moon. Keep it safe."
"I will." He walked up and threw it over my neck.
Marvin nodded to me, taking out his radio.
"All units, this is Alpha 1-1. Green light. Green light. No holds barred. We will fight to the last gasp. Out."
"Roger that sir."
"Copy sir."
With that, I heard a cry.
"AIRBORNE!"
The cry echoed off the other buildings, gathering more voices, until the whole city was rallied together.
Go, Moon. Save them. Save yourself. I'm following right behind.
I looked back at him. He had a peaceful smile on, despite the fear I knew he was fighting to keep down.
"Not without you."
"You need to get that thing to safety. Get it to Turtle or Qibli, tell them it needs to be cremated. Not a single sheet can be left undestroyed. Can you do that for me, Moon?"
I hesitated.
"Moon! Please?" He asked softly. I barely nodded "Go. Go now."
Just as enemies rounded the corner, Marvin fired at them.
"We're falling back! Go now!"
I tore myself away, fighting back tears. I flew low and fast over the buildings. Bad guys were swarming inside several holes in the walls. It was a long ride back to the city square. While I tried to land, the soldiers waved me off.
"Go! Go, Moon! Get that thing to position Zebra!"
I flew on, following the train of dragons still carrying citizens. They were all terrified for their city. Marvin's war took their homes, but he saved their lives.
Suddenly, I was thrown down. Something impacted me. I recovered and hovered in the sky. An older Nightwing hovered before me. I noticed he had a silver teardrop scale like I did, but his mind was shut off.
"Hello, Moonwatcher." His voice started, but it sounded faintly familiar.
"I believe you have something of mine."
"Goldman?"
He wore a sickening smile.
"A clever suggestion by the late Chameleon. I must say, being a dragon feels a lot more powerful."
"You banished Marvin." I felt the wave of anger rise up in me.
"No no no. I did not banish anyone. I just... made sure he stayed banished."
I suddenly turned and started flying away as fast as I could. My friends could help me, as soon as I got to position Zebra.
"You can't outrun me, Moon!" Goldman boomed. He flew up next to me, upside down, a bored look on his face.
"You're a fighter like Marvin. I admire that. But the time for games has passed."
He rolled into me, sinking his talons into my back. I roared in pain but didn't let go. Suddenly he flared up, taking me with him. He swung me around and tossed me into a SandWing. I nearly avoided getting pricked, and the scavengers were shaken, but I did not let go. I ducked underneath her, and flew on through the middle of the crowd. I could lose him, we wouldn't risk flying through a crowd of SandWings. Right?
Instead, he flew up from underneath me, trying to snatch the scraps out of my claws. I stopped and hovered when I saw him. He shot up through the crowd and spun up to hover. He breathed in deeply.
Uh oh.
I dogged his fire blast. Nearly catching two Rainwings. I flew faster than the others, weaving and dogging around the dragons like I did in the rainforest. The RainWings, exactly like the Rainforest.
It's Moon!
Come on Moon, you got this!
Go on good Nightwing!
Their positive thoughts behind me, only to be shaken when Goldman came thundering through. I flew as hard as I could, but my back stung badly from his attack. But I saw the crowd. I was getting so close.
"Don't you dare!"
I saw a vision of his attack. I rolled left instead of right, but a RainWing was caught in his blast. He and five scavengers went down screaming.
Tears flooded my eyes but I neared my teeth. I had to keep flying. I dove down to the ground, Goldman right on my tail. I saw Sergent Kish, a few other soldiers near him, and my winglet.
"Goldman's behind me!" I cried out.
"Bastard!"
I flared up and away, leaving Goldman free. Thunder echoed below me, as I heard a roar of pain.
"Fuck you, Kish!" Was Goldman's last cry as he turned and flew away.
My entire mind was woozy now, I came down with a crash. I slid up right next to Kish. I felt a wave of fear from somewhere.
"Crap. Get Jimmy!"
"Medic!"
"Moon!" I felt something warm run up to me. Qibli's voice shook.
"Y-y-you'll be okay. I-I'll find something. Where's Turtle's rock!" He cried out.
"Marvin has it!" Kish responded. I felt scavenger claws run all around me.
"She's lost a lot of blood. She won't hold out much longer."
"I-I-I... I ENCHANT YOU TO BE HEALED!"
I felt my energy return to me, all the pain vanished. I stood back up, only to see Qibli's terrified face which matched my own. It all happened so fast.
"Wait, Moon, you don't have Marvin?" Kish exclaimed.
"What? No. He gave me this, it's-"
"Darkstalker's scraps. He told us. Why isn't Marvin with you? The city's falling! All semblance of a defense is gone! Where is Marvin!"
We all looked back at the city, now engulfed in black smoke.
"He's still there," I whispered. I spread my wings to fly away, Qibli caught me.
"No, I'm not letting you go back."
"Qibli! Let me go!"
"I can't! I know you'll die!"
What he said made me shiver.

A vision appeared. One in which I was caught by something firing up at me. Everything went dark, and I crashed into a house.

I shook my head.
If I don't go back, he'll die.
"You need to stay. It's impossible."
"Marvin still has Travers. He can teleport them out or some-"
"Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!" The radio cracked.
"3-1 is India Papa! I repeat: Travers is incapacitated! Broken Arrow! I repeat: Broken arrow! Friendlies north of green smoke!"
Kish looked up at me in shock.
"Get him, Moon."
"No!"
"Get him! Moon, you are the highest-ranking individual here. You asked for my help, I say get Marvin. Is that clear?"
I froze.
"IS THAT CLEAR?"
I nodded yes.
"Qibli, don't make me shoot you."
He let me go.
"Moon, find Marvin. The rest of you, provide air support so Moon can evacuate them!"
I lifted off, flying as fast as I could. The dragons were becoming more sparse. That either meant there were no more humans, or they were getting stopped.
By Goldman. He's probably still here.
Moon! We need help!
I'm coming!
I flew toward his voice. A green plume of smoke drifted up near the walls on the inside. I saw a mob of enemy scavengers, moving like a wave to engulf my friends. Their minds filled with an obedient hatred. I tried to land near them, but I stopped when thunder cracked by me. Just then, I saw Qibli fly in, blasting a line of fire. Marvin didn't hesitate.
"Over here, Moon!" He yelled. I turned and handed, running up to him.
"Marvin! You're safe!"
"For now. How's-" Darkstalker's scroll.
"Safe." For now.
"Okay. We have one platform left. Let me get this on you."
Marvin climbed quickly up and fastened another rope harness around me. I stood over a small wooden platform, where the ropes connected so I could carry them away. Four humans, I wouldn't be able to fly for far.
"Are you done?" McManis yelled over the deafening sounds of battle.
"I was done yesterday! Get on!"
Travers, McManis, and the Invincible Lord got onto the platform.
"Now Moon. Let's get out of here."
I nodded, lifting up. I went slow, as the ropes threatened to slip. But the smoke and fire cleared, and I saw a line of enemies begin to raise their weapons at us.
No. My last thought... before Winter swooped in and froze the scavengers where they stood.
"Go, Moon!" He said, sweeping by.
"We'll meet you back at Zebra!" Qibli also shouted as he flew. I powered them into the air, flying carefully. We followed the last few dragons carrying the humans. McManis kept an eye behind, Travers watched the Invincible Lord, and Marvin congratulated me.
Thank you, Moon. Saved my life again.
Well... I have to repay the favor somehow.
Marvin chuckled.
"I suppose so."
I smiled. But a streak of black formed out of the corner of my eye. I stopped just in time to avoid Goldman's fire blast.
"Shit!"
"What the fuck was that?"
"Goldman! He shapeshifted to become a dragon!"
Oh fuck. "Get us back to Zebra ASAP! We need help."
I saw him line up for another attack, but I saw a flash of white intercept him.
"Ah! Damn you, Winter!"
"You won't touch Moon."
I flew on as fast as I could. I felt Qibli sweep alongside me, then break off. I heard another impact.
"Damn you too Qibli! I won't let you leave Moon!"
"Then try and stop her. You'll have to go through us first!" Qibli remarked. I focused on getting us back. It was a short flight, but it felt like eternity with Goldman trailing behind me. McManis tried to get off a few shots, but I sensed they didn't do anything.
"They're pinging off! We're totally ineffective!"
Fly Moon. Fly. We can only hope to make it back and have support.
I nodded. I flew harder and faster than I've ever done before. My wings stung like they were pierced by an unfathomable amount of tiny spears. But I flew on, gritting my teeth.
There!
The camp came into view. I folded in my wings and dove down towards the camp. I was careful to avoid losing my cargo. I flared at the last minute, flapping to set it down. Once they were down, I slit the ropes with my claws and wheeled around to face Goldman. Everyone was here. All of us, prepared to attack him. He just hovered in place, bearing his great wings.
"You've won today Marvin. But there is always a tomorrow. Don't you forget that!"
We did not move until we saw him leave, and I no longer felt his presence. I could finally breathe a sigh of relief. I immediately found Qibli.
"Qibli!" I wrapped my wings around him.
"Woah, easy Moon."
He balanced on his hind legs. We hugged for a little before I let him go. Winter came walking up.
"Moon."
He said plainly.
"Winter... thank you."
He hung his head. But Marvin's attention looked over all the people here.
God, how many are here?
He took out his binoculars, scanning them over.
Seventy-nine thousand? A city? That must be wrong.
He took out the smaller binoculars he put on his weapon, looking over them again.
No. That's correct. Seventy-nine thousand, eight hundred and thirty-one. That means we didn't get them all out.
"Marvin."
"Lieutenant."
Me and McManis noticed his face change.
"Moon, you know."
"Marvin's not okay."
Marvin stood in front of them all, it felt like he was torn in two. He looked over all the people he saved, then back at the ruined city. A tear fell down from his eye. McManis walked up to him.
"Marvin?"
"McManis... I..." I failed. "I didn't get them all out."
"Marvin. You-"
"We're not done. We need to arrange their safe transport to Sanctuary. Winter." He somehow stuffed his emotions far underneath. An icy cold came over him.
My job's not done. I'll cry when it's done.
He went off to find Winter. McManis came up to me.
"The Lieutenant?"
"He's... sad."
"He thinks we didn't get them all out. Oh, man." McManis sighed.
"I'll ride with him. You're right, he's not okay."
Marvin came back talking with Winter and Qibli.
"We could try making a portal. I don't know how that would work, but it would help get everyone to Sanctuary." Qibli suggested.
"If you can do it, then do it. I don't care what it takes, we need to get these people to safety." Marvin said with a conviction behind his voice.
"Sir. What are my orders?" Travers came running up.
"Listen to Qibli. Help him where you can. We're getting these people to Sanctuary."
"Sir."
Marvin's walked past me, only giving me a passing glance. I saw his eyes glistening, and his face was more red than usual.
Are you okay Marvin?
I'm fine for now.
This. This... neutrality he summoned scared me. Marvin was an outgoing person, always positive, he wears his heart on his sleeve; but when he gets serious... he becomes a whole different person.
He walked over to a small bolder that allowed him to look over at the crowd and dragons. His mind counted every single person, but he did not.
"Ladies and Gentlemen! I am 1st Lieutenant Marvin Perez of the One Hundred And First Airborne, we have completed the first stage of evacuating the city, and have already secured another location for your resettlement! I know you are scared, nervous to be moving into a new home. Away from the one you may have lived in for generations, but remember this: you men have escaped with your lives. You have the chance to live on with your memories. Do not weep for what you have lost, instead be grateful for the opportunity to gain more!"
A flash of swirling green caught my attention. Qibli and Winter went through the portal, while Travers stayed behind. After a few moments, Qibli stuck his head through and nodded. Travers nodded back and gave a motion with his claws.
"Okay! We will be traveling through this portal to Sanctuary. A refuge where you can resettle. Please travel through in two orderly lines!" Marvin stepped down. McManis caught him. Marvin's face was red from trying to hold back tears.
"Not now Corporal. Start ordering these people to go through."
"Sir? What about-"
"I'll be fine. Just see to it that the people are safe. That is our primary concern. Move out."
"Sir."
McManis cast a glance at me before he ran off. I turned back and met Marvin looking up at me.
"What did you tell McManis Moon?"
"Wha- me? Only that-" you were acting strange, and you-
"It's okay. I'll be fine." I'm just worried about the people. "We'll talk it over after they're all safe."
Marvin walked off. He wasn't hiding from me, he just pushed the conversation, and the pain, aside so he could get his work done.
We saw to it that the people were in two lines, moving through the portal. Marvin's squad lined the crowd, making sure they stayed organized.
Like herding sheep.
One comment made me giggle a bit.
Herding humans.
I heard Marvin laugh, but that did not take away from the deep sorrowfulness that he still emanated. But with everyone's help, the people were soon through. It was only Marvin's squad and me on this side.
"Lieutenant. I'm the other anchor for the portal. I go last." Travers said
"Okay. Everyone through. By rank, if there are any confusions." Marvin ordered.
They all looked at me.
"Me?"
"Marvin entrusted you. You're a ranking lieutenant, a chosen man-er-dragon." Kish clarified.
"I-I'll go with Marvin. You all go first."
"Ma'am."
"Ma'am."
The squad began to file through. Marvin stepped up next to me.
"Why?" He asked.
"Just because." I don't want anything bad to happen to you.
He chuckled.
"I'll be fine. See, it's just you, me, and Travers now. Go on ahead, I'll be right behind you."
You said that last time.
"And I promise I'll be behind you this time. Now go."
He surprised me that he could have such softness in an order, but I obliged. Walking through the green, swirling fluid, I appeared on the other side of the mountains. Sanctuary loomed ahead of us, people were already going through the gate. The SandWings and RainWings were watching over them, making sure they were safe. Their minds were filled with pity for these people.
"Moonwatcher!"
I turned to see Mommy! She ran up to me and covered me with her wings. "Oh, my daughter! I was so worried. I flew as fast as I could when I heard it was from Marvin. I saw that other Nightwing attack you, but I couldn't help. I'm so sorry."
"It's okay Mommy. I'm okay."
She ran her claws around my back but found no scars or blood.
"Animus magic. Who?"
"My friend. Qibli."
"Qibli? The SandWing?"
"Long story."
A shiver of fear came up me when I looked back at the portal. Marvin and Travers has not appeared yet.
"Marvin?"
"Wait! Moon!" Turtle called out behind me. The rest of my Winglet was next to him. Even Queen Glory and Thorn, the queen of the SandWings, stood next to Qibli.
"Marvin!"
"Where is he?" Thorn asked
"He's still on the other side."
We all watched the portal, listening to its unearthly sound.
Marvin. If you can hear me, please come back.
"Moon?" Qibli spread his wing over me, but I would not resolve myself to be comfortable under him. I took a step closer.
"Marvin!"
No response, other than the portal.
"Marvin!"
Nothing.
"Marvin?" I squeaked. Quiet. A terrible feeling came upon me.
"Hey, Moon, I'm sure he's fine." Winter tried to cheer me up.
"Yeah, and you know, the prince of ice here is never wrong," Qibli commented, before he was smacked by Queen Thorn.
"And he organized the whole thing?" I heard Queen Glory ask.
"Yeah. The Lieutenant got everyone out. He organized it, 'though he'll never say it."
The soldiers chuckled, but McManis was trying to hide his concern and fear. Suddenly, a person came through, then another. The portal closed behind the two humans.
"Marvin!" We all surged forward, but stopped when his emotions hit me. He was crying. He looked up to me, and I lowered myself to him.
"Moon."
"Lieutenant. Are you okay?"
He looked over at the other people still moving into Sanctuary. That sight, that one sight, made his defenses fall. Another tear slid down his face.
"I could've gotten more."
"Marvin."
"Lieutenant."
Kish and McManis supported him, his legs were weak. His entire being was torn.
"Goldman... slaughtered... the whole town. I-I could've gotten more. I could've."
"Marvin."
"Marvin. Seventy-three thousand people are alive because of you."
"No. I could've gotten more out." He broke free of the men holding him up. He looked around, I tried so hard not to be swept up in his deepening cavern of pain, but I couldn't help but cry.
"The baskets. They could've fit in Turtle's bowl. A hundred people, a hundred more people, at least. At least ten."
He looked up to me.
"Moon. I could've sent two people with you... with the scroll. No, maybe one. At least one more. I could've gotten one more. One more. One more person."
But then he thought of something, something that brought us both to our knees.
"A portal. Travers could've teleported them all out. All of them out. No, maybe not him. Turtle? Qibli even?" He looked up at us, tears streaming down his face.
"Lieutenant, you did so much."
"But it wasn't enough! If I could've just..."
"Marvin. There are generations because of what you did.
"I didn't do enough!"
"You did so much."
"I could've saved one more person Kish."
Marvin went silent. Then fell to his knees.
"That person is dead. I could've saved one more person." Marvin started crying. "And I didn't. A-and I didn't. I didn't."
Marvin sobbed, as McManis and Kish dragged him away. "I could've."
Everyone was silent. Everyone was filled with sadness. My Mommy brushed up next to me.
"That's him?" I sniffed, nodding slowly. "He's a hero. A true hero."
I wiped away my tears.
"Yeah. He is."

Winter offered a building in Sanctuary for Marvin's squad to reconvene. Marvin spent half the day crying. I couldn't stay near him, or I would be caught up with his sorrowfulness. He was not a beacon of light anymore, he was broken.
I went out flying, I hadn't had anything to eat in a while. I spotted a deer in the mountains. I tucked in my wings and dove towards it. It didn't notice me until I was on top of it, killing it with one motion of my claws. I flew back towards Sanctuary to enjoy my meal. Suddenly, Qibli came up and started flying with me.
"Hey, Moon."
"Hey, Qibli."
"Feeling like sharing?"
I laughed.
"Marvin's doing okay. I know you can't-"
"It's okay."
He was quiet for a moment.
"Winter got the count finally. Seventy-nine thousand, eight hundred and thirty-one humans, all rescued."
I nodded. But images of Marvin's broken expression, I could not shake them.
"Are you okay Moon?"
"Yeah. Let's land so we can eat."
We circled down to a clearing not far from Jade Mountain. I set the deer down between us. Qibli took it and began to slice it up with his claws. I just watched as he worked. Suddenly he stopped.
"I don't know what you're thinking, Moon."
I just looked up at him. His tail swished behind him.
"What's wrong?"
"His reaction. I don't know what, and I know it sounds horrible-"
"It does sound horrible Qibli."
"I know. It's just... I know you're both mindreaders, I know you can see inside his head."
I hung my own. Especially coming from the dragon who originally told me to use my powers for good.
"What did you see?" Qibli kept pushing me. I turned away. The visions of what he saw. Death in all its forms. How he still was a good person was beyond me.
"He..."
Qibli nodded curiously.
"He wished he could've saved more."
"I kind of already knew that Moon."
I smiled.
"I know. Marvin... he's like two persons in one."
"Two persons in one?" Qibli echoed me.
"Yeah. There's his friendly side. The one we always see, where he always wants to help."
"And what about the other side?"
"The other one-" I choked up. "The other doesn't care. He just wants to complete his mission, whatever it takes." Like killing.
"Like killing." Qibli finished my thought for me "Talons and teeth, I never thought about it that way. That's why he looked the way he did."
"Marvin wanted to truly save everyone in the city. That was his mission. So to keep it short, he failed twice."
"He didn't fail at all. We got what Goldman was after, we saved almost the entire city."
I shook my head.
"Marvin doesn't see it that way."
He went quiet. We were both quiet for a while, until Qibli finally started eating. I had lost my appetite after that conversation.
"But why would Goldman be after the remnants of Darkstalker's scroll? Maybe to try and get him back? No, Kinkajou used it to enchant the berry, which he ate. Wait a minute, would the scroll be the spell caster?" Qibli put his claws to his temples, I knew he was going in circles. And besides, he was right. There was no way to free Darkstalker without another animus. And the only other animus wielders were on our side.
So what would Goldman need his scroll for?
"Maybe as security? If I was evil, I would look for anything that could be used to possibly stop me."
Then I remembered why I was so worried about Marvin's double thinking, because Qibli was the same. He was an animus, that was his ultimate desire. I only hoped he would remain my friend.
"I'm not a threat Moon." Qibli curled in his tail barb. I didn't notice I had taken a step back, and let worry slip onto my face.
"Oh. Sorry."
"It's okay. I don't like talking about this any more than you do. But... it makes no sense."
"Maybe he was after Marvin, than Darkstalker's scroll."
"No, then he would have attacked Jade Mountain instead, not the Invincible City. Actually, he might be using it as a base."
"Really? Don't you think-"
"The walls can be repaired. And the city is pretty big. Big enough to gather an army and then launch an attack on Jade Mountain. But then again, I can't be sure."
I looked down.
Couldn't we? "Qibli. Let's get the Obsidian Mirror."
I saw his eyes widen.
I took off, and he followed closely behind. We arrived back in Sanctuary. Once I landed, I could immediately tell Marvin was still nearby. A headache began to form.
"Are you okay Moon?"
"I'm fine. Let's just go."
I stuffed his thoughts into as many raindrops as I could, which eased the pain a bit. Qibli led me back towards the Airborne's building. I stopped when the emotions began to overwhelm me.
"Moon! Are you okay?"
"You'll have to go on without me. I can't go in there." At least, not unless I have another mind to anchor to. But I'm not going to ask Qibli to open up his mind again to me of all dragons.
He looked me over, worried.
"Okay, but stay safe. I still don't trust many of the dragons here."
He walked off towards the building. He knocked twice and was greeted by Gossing. He let him in. I looked over and watched the crowds of dragons and humans milling about. There were more humans than dragons now, we had to watch with every step to not squash two or three. Their minds were uneasy, and thankfully I could not read their thoughts. But there was one mind who kept nagging at me. Like a sad puppy whining for attention, but still won't help himself from starvation. Marvin projected his emotions so powerfully. even just outside Sanctuary, I was moved to tears. His sorrow was almost irrational. Like he had truly been broken.
I layed down in the middle of the square, the nearest open space to the Airborne building. A few humans from the city came up to me, pointing and walking up to me with curious minds. The dragons didn't mind me, unless I tripped them.
Why is this weird Nightwing on the ground like that?
Doesn't she know there's an inn nearby? Cheapest beds in town.
A few curious human children climbed on top of me. Poked me with sticks, waved their hands, and then ran off. Their minds filled with triumph and power. I layed and listened for a long time, letting the warm sun rest on my scales. But it was beginning to get late. The moons were beginning to peep over the mountains when Qibli finally returned, a small pouch was around his neck. I sat up to greet him, but he nearly passed me right by.
"Erhem?"
He swung around.
"Moon! I didn't see you." He smirked.
I rolled my eyes. "It isn't that late Qibli. You could've seen me if you looked."
"Someone's feisty."
"Yeah, I wonder why?"
"Okay, okay. I got the mirror. Let's go somewhere private to look for Goldman."
I followed him to the outside of town. We settled on a small clearing in the mountains, far enough away from any prying eyes. Qibli took out the oblong, dark, glassy mirror, setting it between us.
"Goldman." He said, blowing smoke over it. It morphed into a small green shape again. He was at his camp, but it wasn't the same camp. The table looked different, and it looked more crowded.
"My Emperor."
Another figure entered, bowing and offering something to him. He spoke in an unfamiliar accent.
"The number of civilians captured. Sir."
Goldman sighed, then spoke. "Very well. Equip them, and prep them. Begin work on repairing the walls. Marvin has had the drop on us for the past week, we must move quickly if we are to gain any advantage."
"Hai!"
The second figure ran away, a door slammed shut. Goldman leaned over his table.
"So Goldman is staying at the Invincible City."
"And he's getting more soldiers too."
We both listened as Goldman paced around the table. Another shape materialized. Goldman stood and looked at it.
"As soon as this one hatches, we'll finally be able to beat Marvin and the rest of his sorcerers. Two against two is a fair fight."
"Goldman doesn't know about you Qibli!"
He only nodded, then pointed back at the shapes. Whoever it was, Goldman stuck his arm out and touched the object with his claw. It faded into a pearly white. I gasped.
"Didn't Marvin say he had a NightWing egg?
Qibli's eyes widened more so.
"Then, if it's white, that means-"
"A mind-reading dragonet."
"And an animus dragon if I know Goldman at all."
"We have to tell Marvin."
"No. We have to take that egg."
"How?"
I looked over and saw Goldman pick up the egg and put it into a basket. He then turned around and walked out, closing a door. The image faded away.
"I might be able to teleport it out?"
"I wouldn't risk it. Could that hurt the dragonet?"
"Yeah. Travers teleported Marvin back to the city, and he said it was very disorienting for the both of them."
"Maybe we could sneak in and grab it?"
"Um, have you noticed? Neither of us are RainWings. And we don't have Marvin's handy coat. We do have this though."
Qibli pulled out a small compass. Travers' compass. The arrow bobbed, pointing towards the large E and S shapes.
"We have to at least try. If Goldman gets a mind-reading animus dragon on his side, or any dragon for that matter, Marvin and the rest of them will be in big trouble."
I inhaled. I didn't like entering the Indestructible City before, but now with more powerful enemies and an unfriendly animus?
"I'll keep you safe Moon. I can make you invincible, invisible, other adjectives that start with 'I."
I giggled.
"Okay." I trusted Qibli. If anyone could create a safe spell, it was him.
"Okay. What can I use? Ah ha!"
Qibli unclipped his earring and held it in his claws.
"Make the wearer of my earring be impervious from all attack, and be able to become totally invisible at will, with no traces that might expose them."
Then he handed it to me. I picked it up and clipped it to my ear.
"Better now?" He asked.
"Yeah. With you."
"You know the area around best. I'll watch over you and help if things get dicey."
"And for moral support."
We laughed. Taking to the skies.

I circled high over the city, Qibli circled in a larger radius out of sight. It was strange to know and be confident that you were invincible, but the threats still had their weight, you would still flinch.
I touched down as gently as I could in the darkest and unpopulated part of the town. It was a long walk from here to the central fortress. A mind was suddenly alert. I held my breath as the scavenger came into view. He looked around, right past me, shrugged, then returned back the way he came. I let myself breathe again, I just got here, and I was already almost caught.
Carefully, I made my way through the tight alleyways and pathways. Thankfully, Qibli's spell stopped me from making claw marks, the strong roads did not creak. Slowly and silently, I followed the map I gained from Marvin, working my way around the many houses. The city looked repaired, as if no battle ever took place here.
Animus magic. Goldman wants this place to be a fortress, so he repaired it. He could use this place to make himself more powerful, and be able to attack with a stronger army. We have to stop him.
I came upon the center fortress. Two guards with guns stood on either side. They didn't look like Marvin's soldiers they wore a different shade of green, and their weapons looked different. I ducked when I heard wingbeats, a large Nightwing landed in front of the fortress. The two guards were unfazed.
"Open the gate." Goldman boomed.
They both grabbed hold of the large door handles, pulling them open. Goldman in his NightWing form, entered through. Before they closed the doors, I slipped through. I nearly ran into Goldman, but I was inside his fortress. He hesitated for a moment, looking over his shoulder.
Oh no. Did he feel me enter? Could he sense my mind?
"Huh. Must be the wind." He only said, then continued on. I followed him through several corridors, before I recognized the room we saw in the Obsidian Mirror. There was a table in the center, and behind it, an ornate box.
If it's anywhere, it's here.
I slowly nudged the door open with my muzzle, careful as to not alert Goldman. I've heard that NightWing hearing and vision are better than some dragons, but I'd rather not find out.
Carefully walking in, the room was covered in maps. One of where Marvin's crash sight was, and another was around The Invincible City. What filled me with dread, was two maps of Jade Mountain. One of the surrounding land, complete with lines showing the terrain, and one of the Academy itself. A red "X" was drawn on a small room near the underground lake.
That was where Goldman tried to bomb Jade Mountain.
My attention was drawn back to the ornate box, but it didn't feel right. When I drew my claws up to it, I felt this sort of coldness and tingly feeling emanating from it.
Animus touched. This box will probably warn Goldman if I open it.
I stuck my head back out the open door. There was a stairway and a skylight that illuminated the corridor. I could probably fit through it, but it would likely injure me. I had no choice. I took a deep breath, consolidating myself. I unlatched the lock and swung the door open. I heard a crash above me. I quickly covered the shining white egg underneath my wing, where it was hidden from view.
Goldman kicked in the door, bearing his weapon. He looked around the room, slowly and with purpose. I froze, holding my breath. He licked his lips and adjusted his grip on the gun. The metal cylinders swung and made clinking noises as we walked forward. I went around the opposite way, around the table. Goldman swung around, scanning the room again. I froze. I saw him inspect the opened box, checking every corner.
"Stolen. Damn you, Marvin!"
I flinched at his voice, I knocked the bookshelf. Goldman didn't miss a beat, filling the room with Thunder and lightning. I shut my eyes and bolted out the door, spreading my wings inside. I broke through the glass sunroof, back into the cold air of the night. Thunder and beams of light continued to follow me, I climbed higher and higher. I met up with Qibli in the sky.
"Did you get it?"
I nodded, showing it to him.
"It's silver."
"Just like mine."
"We need to get this to Marvin. He'd know what to do."
I followed Qibli, staying next to me and away from his venomous tail behind him. The flight was shorter, now that we were safe. I looked back now and then, to be sure a certain NightWing wasn't following us. We touched down in the middle of Sanctuary. Qibli knocked twice on the Airborne barracks. A sleepy McManis answered the door.
"Do you have any idea what time it is-"
He cut himself off as soon as he saw us.
"Qibli? Moon! What is it?"
I moved my wing and showed him the glistening egg. I felt his mind light up.
"Come in! Quickly!"
We went inside to the only room large enough for us. The rest of the squad was upstairs and in smaller rooms. Marvin was sleeping, but I could sense he was replaying the events only a few hours before. But I also knew no matter what he did, he couldn't save them all. Then I remembered, his first dream, the one I found him in. He was in much the same situation. I wondered.
Did this happen to him before?
"Place it here! I'll wake up Kish!"
McManis said in a hushed shouting voice. He set up some blankets and bed rolls in a small pile for me. I set the egg in it and wrapped it with a blanket.
"No doubt Goldman will be searching for it."
"He didn't see me."
"But he'll assume Marvin took it. He's already after him."
"True."
McManis and Kish came running down the stairs.
"Dear God! That's a huge egg."
"This is what Marvin saw when he infiltrated Goldman's camp. It's a dragon egg."
"Thanks, Captain Obvious. You said it was a NightWing egg? This one's white."
"White means the hatchling could have mindreading or prophetic powers" Qibli stated. "Although, knowing Goldman, he likely did both."
"It's going to be like me," I commented.
McManis walked up to it, placing his head on the egg. If you listened carefully, something was swirling in there. He stood back up straight, looking back at Kish.
"What should we do Sergent?"
Sergeant Kish took a long, deep breath. Looking over everything.
"Two-man fire watch. We'll take the first one. Moon, Qibli, you're welcome to stay. We'll brief the LT in the morning. He at least deserves the night." McManis nodded, grabbing a gun off of a rack. Kish motioned to a few empty areas of the room. Me and Qibli made our way over, curling up and laying down. Qibli made sure his tail was far away from me and the egg. I watched it for a long while, watched as McManis and Kish patrolled around it.
I wondered if this was how I was. My mother, Secretkeeper, she had kept me away from the tribe. Hidden. And so was this egg. But this one has me, Qibli, and Marvin's squad looking after it. I felt a tinge of jealousy at its treatment, but I was also happy. This egg would grow up better than I did. Better than any NightWing before it. Qibli covered me with his wing. Sleep came quickly with his warmth. I fell asleep to the sounds of boots on smooth stone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.7K 627 21
After leaving Jade Mountain Winter's heart has been aching to see the dragon he loves, Moon. But his new life in Sanctuary has other plans for him an...
1.1K 15 13
Sometimes, you get dealt a bad hand. But every hand has the opportunity to be a winner, or a looser. It's what you make of it that counts. He's captu...
1.1K 37 26
The world doesn't care whether you live or die. Your life could literally be decided by a dice roll. War isn't hell, it's worse. You have to live fro...
49.2K 1.3K 45
This book will be rewritten soon! ------------------------ Adventure, that was what Robin loved most. She loved the thrill of exploring someplace new...