Wings of Honor: Tales of Pyrr...

By FishyFish831

They're here. Who's here? "See for yourself. Stay low." I whispered. The two dragons snuck up alongside me... More

Autor's Notes & Disclaimer
Chapter 1: The Opening
Chapter 2: Hope
Chapter 3: A New World
Chapter 4: Scavengers
Chapter 5: First Contact
Chapter 6: On An Eagle's Wings
Chapter 7: Prisoner of Peace
Chapter 8: Finding Scavengers
Chapter 9: A Visionary
Chapter 10: Jade Mountain
Chapter 11: Basic Training
Chapter 12: War?
Chapter 13: Scouting
Chapter 14: The Attack
Chapter 15: Revelation
Chapter 16: Banishment
Chapter 17: Baptism By Firescales
Chapter 18: A New Normal
Chapter 19: Allies On The Axis
Chapter 20: To The Moon And Back
Chapter 21: Lunch And Lessons
Chapter 22: Saving Grace
Chapter 23: War Were Declared
Chapter 24: Begining Of The Crusade
Chapter 26: Helping Humans
Chapter 27: Proofing
Chapter 28: No Hopeless Soul
Chapter 29: The Siege of Jade Mountain
Chapter 30: The Last Eagle
Final Note
Chapter 31: Aftermath

Chapter 25: Know Thy Enemy

213 2 6
By FishyFish831

"Travers hold."
"But I-"
"Hold fast!"
He stood at attention. His hands resting still at his sides.
"Don't move. Nobody touch him. I'll deal with this."
I walked up towards Qibli. Moon stood by my side. She spoke first.
"Qibli?"
He looked up from his claws at her, then at me.
I gulped, pursing my lips. I didn't want to know what he was thinking, but I read his face all too well.
This was a dream of his, he was terribly excited. But at the same time, terrified. All the weight, expectations, and responsibilities of being an animus came flooding down on him. He was scared. He looked like he'd bolt any minute.
"Qibli? Are you okay?" I asked, reaching out my hand.
He shied away a moment, but let me advance. I felt the electrical tinge of an animus touch, but it was superseded by his warmth. I realized he was trying to make out words.
"I-I-I... I'm an animus?" He muttered out.
Everyone stared at him, as if he knew any more than we did. He visibly gulped.
"Okay. Rock, lift up into the sky." He said softly.
I looked over and saw a rock tremble. It shuddered, faster and faster. It lifted itself off the ground, as if pulled by an invisible fishing line. It shot up into the sky at a rapid pace, almost like it was fired. I watched the sky for a moment, hoping it wouldn't come down with nearly as much force. But all eyes were on Qibli. He was wide-eyed.
Moon wrapped her wing around him. "Are you okay Qibli?"
He shook his head. Not saying no, more like trying to wake himself up from a dream.
"Is this real? Pinch me, Moon."
"I'm not going to do that."
"It's real Qibli. You're real." I said, slowly walking up to him.
He blinked rapidly. It was a mixture of disbelief, confusion, and surprise. Likely all three.
"Are you going to be okay?"
He just looked down at me.
For some reason, I felt way smaller than I used to be, looking up at this almighty dragon.
Please be a friend. I found myself hoping.
"I... think I'll be fine."
I breathed a sigh of relief. Oh, thank God. Really thank God.
Then the mumbling started. I turned back. Travers was still standing at attention, terrified that my attention shifted back to him. I walked with a purpose towards him. My hand balled up into a fist.
"Wait!" Qibli called out.
I stopped on a dime.
"Don't hurt him."
I brought myself back to rest, stuffing a breath. Slowly nodding. I continued forward, at a slower and less threatening pace. I walked up alongside him, mimicking his pose. I whispered in the direction of his ear.
"You are lucky today Travers. Defy orders again, and you will be arrested. No matter what kind of powers you give yourself, or others. Dismissed."
"Sir!"
Travers swiftly ran away, disappearing behind the tents.
I took a deep breath and sighed. I now had three legendary animus wielders with me. Two mind readers and prophets, and enough men to engage a platoon-sized unit in a fair fight. I looked over what damage was done, realizing it could all be repaired, someway, with time I didn't have.

I let my men continue digging foxholes in the mountain granite, shallow comms trenches led up to the foxholes. The trenches would only provide meager cover and were really only supposed to be used to reinforce the foxholes with men or ammo.
I wasn't about to let Jade Mountain go undefended. The main entrance was the only viable place for a land assault. Problem was: it also faced the sea, perfect for accurate direct fire from local fire control. The Prey Center had a steep drop-off, with only a small trail providing only a meager chance of men with climbing gear even making it up. I had scout trenches — to provide a quick, auxiliary defense — being dug there as we speak.
The entire place was fit for defense, but I really wished we had an actual MG. That was the backbone of any Infantry Squad. A force multiplier. The BARs were okay, but they were automatic rifles, better suited for walking fire on the attack. A 1919, a heavy machine gun, or something else similar (like Goldman's Stinger) would be amazing for static defense. But we only had what we got. And I wasn't about to waste anyone's soul just so I could get a weapons system that really only one other man under my command was really trained on how to use. And even then, he wasn't strong enough to get it where it needs to go.
I sighed again, things were getting desperate. Goldman with that egg. Why would he want a dragon egg? The obsidian mirror didn't help much. It can't show anything around the target, the background, for identification purposes. I really wished I had some means of keeping tabs on Goldman, other than voice or relative position. I wish I knew what he was planning. I wish... I was inside his camp.
Then something clicked.
My jacket, the compass, the radios. I could sneak into Goldman's camp and find out what's really going on in his head. It would be incredibly dangerous though. He knows I'm capable of it. I managed to airdrop onto his base for Christ's sake. He'd know I'd be coming. But what other choice do I have? The dragons are pretty much all out of commission. I'll let them take care of Qibli, and give him the day to adjust to his new powers. Hopefully, give him the chance to readjust and regain his effectiveness as soon as possible. I need as many able bodies as I can get my hands on to fight Goldman. Part of the process is knowing my enemy.

"Lieutenant, are you sure about this?"
I press-checked my M1911, sliding it back into its holster, unable to hide anything heavier. "I have one hour to figure out what Goldman is doing. Four hours there, four hours back before sunrise."
"And why can't I have any ammo?"
I stopped for a moment.
"Because I know you'll try and eliminate Goldman at your first opportunity, Wessly."
I tucked all my gear under my jacket. Wessly only hung his head and nodded.
"You... provide overwatch. If anything happens and you're compromised, give me two clicks on the radio. Emergency rondevu is at Jade Mountain. If all goes well, I'll give you two clicks and we'll rondevu at the river. Where-" "Where we first met them. Roger."
I held for a moment, then smiled. "Good."
I patted Wessly on his back.
"Please don't get me or yourself killed Wessly."
"I'll do my best sir." He smiled. I nodded, patting him off. I watched him move off to take a spotting position.
I looked over back. I knew the camp was only about 60 yards from us. I placed my radio inside one of the internal pockets. It dug into my left hip, but I could click the call button and send out a signal while I was cloaked. In no time, I already knew Wessly had climbed a tree and was already scanning with his rifle. He had a lower-powered scope, but the camp wasn't too far away either.
Two clicks. <In position.>
I waited another moment for any further word.
One two, three four, five six. <Six persons in the camp.>
Well, there you go. I don't know how Goldman found five others, but I wasn't about to become his sixth.
I clicked twice, signaling I was going in.
I received two clicks back. <Best of luck.>
Make me invisible.
The world seemed to go darker, as if my body helped to reflect light to help me see. But I still made out my landmarks.
I stepped carefully, padding my steps. Watching the ground carefully for leaves and sticks that could betray my presence. Sure enough, I came across the first guard. He was oblivious and held his rifle like he was a raw recruit. He did keep a good watch though. I simply went around him when he patrolled away.
Now I was inside. Nothing really changed, the camp was mostly the same spare our two tents. There were more tents pitched (different from our standard pup tents), and a structure. An adobe structure, like a few around in Gonzales, but mostly in North Africa. But why? Why would you need an Adobe house here? It was small, barely enough to provide shelter. The petruding oven, in comparison, was almost as large as the building itself. You would bake immediately if you lit it up.
I ducked into the first tent. Papers. Tons of papers, all filed away messily into field cabinets. Goldman must've made them, there was no way he scavenged these from somewhere. There must've been twenty of them, too many to check in detail. I skimmed over them, hunting for anything that caught my eye. I found a few maps. One of the Invinci-Indestructible City, another of its operational area. There was nothing on Jade Mountain thankfully.
There was nothing else I could grab, so I called it there. I nearly walked out into a patrolling guard. The absolute worst-case scenario for a saboteur. Thankfully, he wasn't as alert as anyone thought. He completely missed me, marching off to the other end of camp. Carefully this time, I inched my way out. Stalking carefully into the next tent.
This was it. This was the gold mine. I was met with a huge, jet-black egg. A dragon egg. The same color as Starflight. Black as night. I took in a shaky breath. This was what was stolen from the jungle hatchery, the crime I took the blame for. Goldman stole away a life. A sweet, innocent, life. What did this guy have to do with anything? Even as a soldier, my job was to avoid unnecessarily involving civilians. But I knew that some soldiers went after anything they perceived as the enemy. Not just enemy combatants, the civilians that held them, even if it was against their will.
This is what Goldman did.
I felt a stirring rage grow in me. I could not let him get away with this. I didn't dare touch the egg. I wished so badly I could whisk it away to somewhere safer. Somewhere Goldman could not touch. But he wanted this egg for a reason. My job here was to find out why. I tore myself away from that tent. I wanted to stay, but I couldn't. Not if I wanted to save this little guy. Not if I wanted to save others.
I knew what was in the last tent before I even stepped foot inside. A resounding coldness emanated from it. This was incredibly suspicious. Something nagged at the back of my mind that this was a trap. I decided to step back and away, only to walk straight into Goldman standing behind me.
I caught myself before we touched. Mr. Sweeps cleared my mind, I held my breath. There was no way he could find me. Barely navigating away as he went into his tent. I caught a glimpse of whatever he had in there. A blue shard that threw off a similar glow.
A dreamvisitor? Oh no.
Goldman spun around. "He's here. Marvin's here. Scan the entire camp! DO NOT let him get away!"
Nope.
I bolted from the camp. Clicking my radio twice. I raced down the forest, not caring about the noise I made behind me. I ran as fast as I could to the river, finding Wessly there.
"Marvin." He said in a hushed voice. "What happene-"
"Not-now. Spotted. Move."
He took off with me. We ran all the way back to Jade Mountain.

I didn't expect to have left camp without anyone noticing.
I left a note on Kish's cot, and relayed a plan to tell Moon, should she find out prematurely. Which she apparently very promptly did. I had two angry dragons and the entire squad waiting for me.
"Where have you been Marvin!" Moon yelled out. Surprising me with her loudness and anger.
Qibli was also pretty ticked, and I wasn't about to tangle with an animus dragon who, by himself, had the ability to kill me four times over.
"Lieutenant!" I made out McManis. He stood with his arms crossed, he was also disappointed, but he knew what I was doing.
"Where were you?" Moon walked up in front of me.
"I found it." I gasped out, still recovering from my flight.
"What?" Kinkajou came tearing around the corner of the entrance.
"You found it? The egg? The Nightwing egg?" Moon shifted on a dime.
"All I'm saying is Goldman has a huge egg about this big by this big, and it's black." I motioned out the dimensions.
"A Nightwing egg all right." I exhaled once Qibli helped defuse the situation.
"I also found a couple maps detailing the Indestructible City. Marked up with staging areas, arrows, positions of attack." I turned to McManis. "I think Goldman's going to attack the IC."
"That's suicide." He frowned to Kish. "Not even dragons could take it down."
"Dragons no. How about a human with almighty magical powers?" Wessly deadpanned.
My eyes glanced to Qibli, he was looking on in awe.
I sighed. "First things first. We need to alert the IC. Even if it is impossible, we have to warn them."
"How Marvin? I mean, what are we going to say? 'A man with magic is going to attack your city, and we're your only hope?"
I just looked at Rossum. Then he read my face.
That's exactly what I'm doing.
Never had a doubt. McManus chuckled.
"Alright. Form up for a briefing. Moon, Qibli, you can tell the founders they can sit in."
I sighed. Something about this felt wrong. There was something suspicious.

To be honest, I've never had an official mission briefing with dragons before.
"Lieutenant."
"Everyone fall in!"
McManis made Travers give up his crucifix to Kish, so he could help me comunícate the plan.
"Okay. So this is our best map of The Indestructible City. Designated India Charlie. 'IC." Kish presented the area of operafion.
"Hell of a name..." Gossing remarked.
"Hell of a defense. Look at these walls. They have to be 50 feet high, maybe more." McManis looked over the maps and auxiliary intel.
"It looks like it has a crane well system to get water from the nearby river. Enough space to grow crops internally. That crane also doubles as our method of entrance. This place is a fortress. There's no way we can enter without their permission." Kish analyzed
"Winter said there was a huge ballista overlooking the walls. Which means they're probably around 10 or 20 feet thick. I don't even think our 105s could punch a hole that thick." I started. "There's open country leading up to it on one side, Mountains closely borders everything but the south." I pointed the locations out. "We could surround it and lay siege, but we don't have nearly enough supplies for it. A frontal attack would be suicide with so little men and no support. That rules out standard methods of approach."
"We could try going in as travelers, me, Marvin, and Travers. We might be able to get in that way. Maybe the rest of the squad too." McManis suggested, I translated.
Are you sure? That seems dangerous. Moon looked at me, a worried look on her face.
Either this or we attack it before Goldman does. They need to at least hear our message. I'll do my best to warn them, and hopefully, get them to safety. "I might have a plan."
All eyes were on me. I drew my finger alongside the map.
"This crane... is the choke point. That's how we get in. Like McManis said, we'll pretend we're survivors seeking refuge. Infiltrate the city and warn the P.I.C. Hopefully evacuate them and whatever Goldman's after to a secure position."
"That may work." Kish nodded. "Who will be infiltrating?"
"I'm going. I need two volunteers."
No one stirred for a moment. Then McManis got up, dragging Travers with him.
"We volunteer sir."
"Okay. The rest of you, set up around here and here." I pointed to the surrounding treeline. That's where Goldman will likely attack. If anything goes wrong meet up here at the head of the river." I circled the position with a charcoal pencil. "That will be our exfil and rondevu point. Kish, you'll take the remainder of the squad plus two radios. I'll take the third. The dragons will be with you."
"Sir."
I sighed. "From the looks of it, Goldman has been considering this attack for the past couple days. We may only have until tomorrow or the next day before he attacks. Time is of the essence here men." I looked over all the serious faces surrounding me. "My last order is a one-strike return fire order. DO NOT fire upon the city unless I give the order. We will organize for the operation tomorrow at 'oh seven 'hundred. Dismissed!"
The squad packed up, going back about their business as the sun hung low over the mountains.
Moon caught me.
"What about us?"
"I'm going to need you guys to stay with Kish. If that's alright with you, can you get your guys to carry my men?"
"Sure. We can do that." Qibli said stepping up.
I let a sigh of relief. "Okay. Moon. I'm giving you authority over Kish. If anything happens, you get McManis's attention, I've already briefed him."
"Okay." She nodded.
"You guys will need to stay way out of sight. My men can hide. A dragon is a lot easier to see."
"Hey!"
"Minus one." I rolled my eyes over to Kinkajou. She immediately turned proud for being recognized.
"Remember. They have one chance, one strike. After that, come get me." And Moon, please stop Winter from triggering them before we come back, please?
I'll do my best. She said, stepping up.
"Good." I nodded. "We all have our orders. Webbs is getting in contact with the Talons of Peace, Sunny's contacting Glory and the Jungle tribes. They're all under you guys, although I wouldn't expect them to arrive in time. We may have to order a general evacuation if Goldman attacks."
"An evacuation!" Turtle gasped. "Of the entire city?"
"How will we manage that?" Qibli exclaimed.
Maybe with your magic. No.
Moon made a "seriously?" face at me.
Eyes fell back on me. "We'll evacuate as much as we can. We'll hold them off for a little while." Then a cold front struck me. "But... once we get them to position Z, there is nowhere else we can take them."
Suddenly, Winter stepped forward. "We could take the scavengers to Sanctuary."
"Sanctuary?" I asked, confused.
"It's a place I'm working on. Where scavengers-humans and dragons can live together in peace. And also so we can study their behaviors."
I chuckled. Now remembering. "How far away is it?"
"A day and a half flight from the Invincible City."
I nodded. "Once we regroup at position Zebra, we'll figure out a way to evac everyone to Sanctuary. Then we'll figure it out from there. Any questions?"
The dragons shook their heads.
"Okay. We'll have one last meeting at 7:00 in the morning. We'll move out at 8:00. I already talked it over with Sunny, she agrees stopping Goldman trumps school this time."
I gained a few chuckles at that, and Qibli's laugh.
"Alright. Get some rest everyone. I'll see you all in the morning. Dismissed."
They all began to disperse. But Moon hung her step.
"Umm." Do you want to sleep inside? She asked.
I knew very well I was in earshot of the other men, so I spared the both of us.
If I sleep in your cave, then the others will want to sleep inside too.
Oh. She bowed her head in understanding. Okay.
Moon looked a little down, but I knew she understood.
I went back and tallied tents. Everyone had sleeping bags, but we only had five tents. Two men per tent. That left someone out.
"Sir." McManis caught my shoulder.
"I'm sleeping outside tonight." I simply said,
"But sir-" I interrupted him. "You all need your rest tonight. That is our highest priority."
McManus shook his head in shock. "You haven't slept for a good day, sir. We also need you at your best."
I do admit, my mind has been foggy. I've had a sluggishness over my movements, and my reactions have slowed. No matter, I've powered through longer periods without rest.
"I'm sleeping outside, McManis."
"Sir." He bowed to me, but did not come back up.
"McManis?" I pressed.
"Sir... that is not what I came to concern you about."
I squinted at him. "Then what is?"
"Well... we have 11 men, but only ten sleeping bags."
"What? Oh."
Peril dropped by while Moon was sleeping. She caught Travers' sleeping bag.
"Okay. Give him mine."
"But Marvin-"
I caught him. "Give... him... mine."
I handed him my roll. He hesitated, but nodded and took it. He offered me a salute.
"Move quickly." I simply said.
"Sir."
McManis rushed off.
Once I was as alone as I could, I sighed. I would sleep on the ground, with no shelter. My jacket and myself would be the only sources of warmth I had. The sun hung low, casting the world in a navy shadow. Everyone retired to their tents in pairs. At least they wouldn't have to sleep in foxholes. As the squad leader, I would not put my men into anything I wasn't about to take myself. Maybe I'm a bad person like that.
I chose the nearest messenger trench, settling into the hard rock. I could sleep diagonally, with my head resting against the parados to give me support. I could also lay inside the trench for some cover against the wind. It was a cold bed, but It would have to do for tonight. My back has been killing me lately, maybe it would fix that while it was at it. I laid my rifle over me, one final, poor shield against the wind but mostly against attackers.
Case in point, I nearly shot the dome off of Travers when he came looking for me.
"Lieutenant!"
I lowered my rifle, rubbing my eyes.
"Go to sleep, Travers," I said with a groggy voice, laying back down, covering my face with my helmet.
He looked me over, then at my bed. He hesitated for a moment then left me with a soft "sir."
McManis was the second person who interrupted me. The night had grown windy, so I retreated into my trench. That didn't stop the shivers. I was still more surprised than thankful when McManis suddenly draped a blanket over me.
"You at least deserve this you unselfish bastard." He said lovingly.
"Go to sleep McManis." I only mumbled back.
He left promptly.
I set the blanket between me and the earth, hopefully, to help me get some layer of insulation. With the remainder of the blanket, I rolled myself into a cocoon. It still wasn't the warmest thing in the world, but it would do. I was slowly getting comfortable with the cold, although I occasionally involuntarily tensed up and shuddered a couple times. I knew already I wouldn't have a good night's sleep anyways, I would wake up early and often to the cold.
I was beginning to drift off, when I noticed the vibrations of footsteps coming closer. They were heavy and deep, easily a dragon's. I only opened my eyes, getting a glimpse of the moons. They were all in various stages of waning, being covered in the shadow of Earth. But they still provided enough light in order for me to gain a situational awareness. With the help of my mind-reading triangulation, I spotted Moon and a half-disguised Qibli behind her.
"What are you guys doing up so late?" I said, groggy.
"I saw what you did." Qibli said. "We can't just leave you out like that."
I looked over at the camp. My men were busily slumbering away in warm tents and sleeping bags. Even McManis dreamt of the operation to come.
"They're asleep by now. Do you think they'd notice?" Moon reasoned.
"No." I asmited. "But once we get up."
"Marvin. Just..." you're doing so much.
"And I'm not done. This is only the beginning." I sat up to meet her, looking over the camp.
"Then at least come inside. We can't let you sleep out here all by yourself."
"No Qibli. These are my men. We live together. We fight together. We sleep together. I'm not going to leave my men."
"I'll have to drag you then."
Right after he said that, weight turned off. I rose into the air.
"Q-Qibli! What the hell!" I flailed about.
Moon laughed.
"That wasn't a request," Qibli said, chuckling.
I sighed in defeat, trying to adjust myself. "Can you at least put me down so I can get my blanket?"
"Okay."
He lowered me down.
That was awful. I was in freefall but only a few feet off the ground. Adrenaline dumping into me woke me up. I grabbed my blanket and followed the two dragons.
We walked through the corridors, to the Jade Winglet cave. Kinkajou met us sleepily from her hammock.
"You managed to convince him?" She said, slow and slurred.
"Yup. Now we can all head to bed."
Moon and Qibli slept up against each other. Moon motioned to a small spot just before them.
I tentatively layed down, keeping my eyes up. I didn't know what the plan was. What I did know, was that they could crush me like a toothpick if I wasn't careful. I held my breath when a claw slid me closer, I didn't dare move. I was covered by a tan-colored wing that radiated warmth. Immediately, my guard dropped. All my tiredness, and exhaustion laid itself all over me. My obligations, decency, and duty faded to the wayside. I knew I was safe. I knew I was among friends. But sleeping under Moon and Qibli? I must say, it sounds weird, but I haven't felt this comforted since I was at our old house in Gonzales.
Sleep came quickly.

I found myself at home, at the edge of town leading into Alisal street. It was foggy as all hell, I could barely make out my own hands in front of me.
I walked down the street, looking at the buildings that I knew so well. But something felt... off. They looked... more worn than usual. Suddenly, I heard an all too familiar piercing whistle.
"Incoming!"
An explosion lit up not too far from me. A blurry fireball flashed for a millisecond through the grey. I looked around frantically for cover. More whistling, more explosions.
Suddenly, Jericho sirens!
I hit the asphalt, lowering myself down as quickly as I could. I covered my eyes and head with my hands and arms, hoping that I would get lucky. Explosions pierced my hearing with thunder. My tinnitus' high-pitched ringing drowned out the rest. Every vibration I felt. I was out in the open, trying my best to survive.
The bombardment went on for an eternity, then stopped as suddenly as it started. I waited another moment, then looked up. People milled around outside. They inspected the damage of the buildings. Walls were shattered. The roof was caved in on another. Shrapnel holes left no structure unscathed.
I found my footing, as people began to notice my presence. They looked at me like I committed murder, treason, the highest crimes. Women hid their children away from me. A younger man with a hunting rifle looked at me in fear for his family behind me.
"You! Go!" An old man shooed me away.
I revoiled in shock. "But this is my ho-"
"No longer! You must go! Todo soldados."
I looked down and realized I was still in my uniform. Only now it was blood-stained. Coming as high as my chest, all the way down to my legs. The stench hit me just as quickly. I brought myself to my knees, gagging on the horrible smell of terror and Fat City.
No one came to help me. The only thing they gave me was the young man's bead as he trained his rifle on me. I gathered my composure for a second, lifting my hands up.
"No muerte me. Por favor. Por favor."
I couldn't speak Spanish well, but they knew what I meant. I backed up slowly, keeping my hands up and facing him.
I found myself in the fields just outside town. Smoke was rising from somewhere within.
"So this is where you live Marvin."
I turned to face the familiar voice. I reached for my pistol, but I only felt an empty holster.
"You're a hard man to get ahold of Marvin."
I stifled a terrified breath. "Well, I haven't gotten a real moment of rest Goldman." A new strength enveloped me, meeting him.
He chuckled, pacing around me. "Heh. You really must be tired. Two days without sleep, then on the third day, you fall right in."
"What's that got to do with anything?"
"You're right. Let's move on."
Something about what he said seemed off, but he pressed the conversation.
"I can't see why, after banishing you because you turned out to be some magical secret person that could probably end the war on your own, you still chose to keep your mind reading a secret."
"It was easier. On the both of us. I would've told you guys on the outset, but none of you trusted me at that moment."
"See, that's your problem, Marvin. You're too sensitive of the situation. I told the squad on the outset, even though they practically all hate me."
"Maybe you're right. Maybe that's what I should've done."
"Maybe." He tickled his chin and stubble. "But that's not what I'm here for. I know you cast a spell on the men. You got to get them to defect from me and prevented me from casting any more spells on them."
I put my hands up.
"I didn't cast the spell. I just transported a thing that did."
He smiled. "See that's what I like about you, Marvin. You may be a coward and always want to try and repair a sinking ship, but you're damn clever. You somehow find a way to stop it from sinking, even just for a moment."
"Runs in the family I guess." I shrugged.
"Then you must understand the importance of what I'm going to do."
What? I don't know what you plan to do. Why are you planning to attack the Invincible City?
"So you missed the single most important thing. Well, that's just perfect. But that is none of your business now, and besides, it's too late. It's been too late. You won't get to The Indestructible City. I can keep you here in this dream forever."
Suddenly, the world shifted. I was constrained to a chair with chains around my wrists and legs. A woosh and Goldman paced into view. He held a bayonet.
"You never could defeat me. You may have mind reading and prophetic powers, but I'm an animus. I can make myself into anything I want, including your powers."
"Yeah, I kind of figured that one out." I tried being Gabriel snarky to hide my fear. I was utterly helpless. Goldman only smiled, licking his lips.
"I've wanted to do this for a long time now. You've been nothing but trouble for me, Marvin. I considered fragging your tent the first night, but you set a fire watch. I could've gunned you down at the base attack, but Kish was with you. Every opportunity, there would've been collateral damage. Oh, how I only wish this were real."
He drew the blade along my arm. I felt the cold steel pierce my skin. Stinging pain rocketed up.
"Ah hah!"
Goldman stopped, breathing in deeply. He was relishing in the sound of my pain. Then he swept the blade, cutting me clear across the chest. I hissed.
"I'd like to hear you beg for mercy."
No. Never. Not while I still have hope.
"THEN DEATH BY A MILLION CUTS!"
Goldman slashed me several more times across the chest, ripping off my bloodstained uniform. He cut me again. And again. And again. The blinding, stinging pain emanated through every fiber in my body.
Stop. My mind whimpered.
Goldman kept cutting me.
Stop. Stop!
"You could never stop me! I can't wait to be there to see you die, Lieutenant. You and your henchmen. Travers, McManis, Gosling, all of them. NO ONE WILL BE SPARED!"
"Help." I whimpered out.
Goldman stopped. He came up to my face. I could feel his breathing.
"Are you ready to pledge yourself to me?"
This was a test. Like Jesus in the desert. The Devil's temptations. I curled my fist, steeling my soul.
"No." I spat in his face.
He flew into a rage. Dropping his blade, he started pounding into me. Blow after blow. I felt my nose crackle under a direct hit. My thoughts quickly faded to pure pain.
I have to get out of here. This is a dream!
But the pain was real. Goldman was really beating me.
Wait! Moon!
I called out as loud as I could.
MOON! Wake me up!
"No one can hear you cry out but me."
MOON! RIGHT NOW!
A familiar presence stirred.
I saw Goldman's face deflate, he felt it too. I gave him a toothy grin.
"How much would you like to bet on that? I'll see you around... Clayton."
I only got to see him begin to form an anguished "No!" Before I was torn away.

I awoke with a start, gripping my pistol. For a moment, the death and pain in my dream transferred into the awake world, causing me to make an agonized half-groan. I was on the ground a little before Moon and Qibli. All three were looking at me concerned.
"Marvin, are you okay?" Moon was the first to ask.
I looked down at my wrists and arms. They were okay. There was no blood, no cuts, no pain.
"What happened?" Qibli asked, still waking up.
"Goldman," I mumbled out. Looking up at them. "He knows. He's after us." I got up, trying to walk off my excitement. "First thing tomorrow morning. We're going to the Invincible City. If we can't rescue everyone in time, it'll be a massacre." I stood up leaning against the wall. Wanting to punch myself because I got the damn name wrong once again. "You all go back to sleep. I'm taking watch."
The dragons just looked on at me, confused. Moon understood what I was thinking, how scared I was.
Goldman has a dreamvisitor. If I fall asleep again, what's not to say he'll visit me again? I'll take a nap midday tomorrow, when he least expects it. I can't sleep if I encounter him like that every day.
I rubbed my temples. My hands shook. I was genuinely scared. Scared for my friends, scared for my squad, scared for myself. This mission, it didn't sit well with me. Then again, very few of my missions did.
I was a terrible commander, maybe by choice. I never wanted to be a high ranking officer, I just wanted to be in control of my own destiny, while still making as much of an impact as I could. I climbed the ranks, talked with old heads, and they all agreed on one rank. The rank I was gunning for to fulfill my duty. The rank I was only one step away now. I reached into my pocket, pulling out Campana's Captain bars. The dull silver only glistened in the fire orb light. This symbolized my contentedness. I was willing to stop, I was willing to let go. I wanted someone over me, giving me general orders, but where I still had the freedom and ability to carry them out as I see fit. I still wanted to be close enough to the front. Not in the thick of battles, but where, if need be, I would be right there alongside my men.
I unconsciously mumbled to myself. "Most people want to rule the world. No one actually wants to lead it."
"And you do?" Moon remarked.
I turned to face her. They both were looking at me, but I did not hesitate.
"If it comes to it, then yes." I nodded. "Although I'm rather good at commanding squad or platoon-sized units. The whole world? I'd be what they say 'a penny wise and a pound foolish.' Besides all that, you all need sleep."
"What about you? You need sleep as well." Moon reasoned.
I sighed. "Goldman will just torture me again. If I can't give the bastard the satisfaction, I won't. Forgive my French."
I posted up against the wall, leaning my rifle on me against the wall.
Moon turned to the SandWing next to her. "Qibli? Why can't-"
"I won't do anything without his permission." He simply stated.
I almost nodded off for a second, and missed their last. But I was jolted back awake when Moon towered over me.
"Marvin. Let Qibli enchant you to protect from Goldman's dreamvisitor."
"What? Won't that affect his-" I shook my head clear. "No. Don't do that Qibli."
"He won't let you sleep if you don't." Moon exclaimed.
"And he'll keep harassing you until you do," Kinkajou grumbled.
I simply shook my head."I'm not going to make you give up a bit of your soul for me Qibli!" I hung my head. I wouldn't know how to pay it back.
"I don't think it would hurt me. That's only for selfishly motivated spells. I wouldn't think this one is."
I chuckled at his bluntness. I wasn't one to proclaim my own good deeds.
"So will you?" Moon asked, softly.
I still wanted to say no.
This was my fight, and mine alone.
"But then you wouldn't be strong enough. You said it yourself."
Darn Moon. She was right. Even if she wasn't a mind-reader.
I held for a moment, then sighed. There was no way to win this fight. "Fine. Do what you wish. I trust you Qibli."
"Okay." He said, running his claws. "What should I say? Oh, I know."
The sand-colored dragon walked over to me and layed a claw on my shoulder. I felt a cold front hit me, and I shivered. Qibli drew his claw back.
"There."
I checked myself over. "What did you do?" I asked.
"Only Goldman is the only person who can't dreamvisit you now."
"But I can still dreamvisit him, Qibli that's genius!"
He slinked back. "Oh, thank you."
"Now you can finally get some sleep, Marvin."
"Yeah, I guess. No thanks to you too." I said with a smile.
Moon motioned me closer, and I settled in between her as I did before.
I was tired.
I was tired that I was tired.
No one wants to stay up past their bedtime once you've done it a couple times. Moon's warmth as well as Qibli in the vicinity kept me comfortable and at ease. With Goldman no longer a threat for tonight, I could rest easy. Then I realized I didn't know the exact compliment of the IC. I had enough sleep to think. I sat back up.
There's a ballista. 20-foot thick walls, over 50 feet high. It's a city, so around 100 thousand. Maybe 25% defenders with that security. That's still 25,000 soldiers, an army. Living in a place like this, they're probably steeled. Like the ghettos, but worse. Everything goes, a frontier. But there's always a center of gravity. A leader, or a group of leaders. It'll probably take some hard evidence, maybe a threat or two, but I can't let this city be slaughtered.
"Marvin."
I flinched hard. I met Moon's olive eyes.
"Stop."
"Stop what?"
"Stop all this "tactical" thinking of yours. You're safe right now. You deserve a good night's rest."
"But my men-" "Your men will survive one night. Just... let yourself down for this one moment. Let all that weight down. Just... breath Marvin."
I blinked at her, listening carefully to her words. This was not normally what she would say, and the same thing came to me as a feeling. As if she was possessed, I saw her eyes come back into focus. She shivered almost imperceptibly.
What was that? She though
I just stayed still for a moment, then sat down to lean on her.
That was... the man upstairs.
Moon looked at me in confusion, but I shook my head and layed back down.
On his orders, I let all my worries rest by the wayside. I kicked every question, every uncertainty, every concern, outside the cave door to be picked up first thing tomorrow morning.
Moon was admittedly a little concerned at my sudden calmness. I would tell her in the morning, I was tired.
With a heavy sigh, I laid everything out for Him to carry for me tonight. I always considered I served under Him, and I would take the brunt first before Him. But today, he knelt down and offered his hands. I only nodded and accepted his offer silently, not letting it go to waste.
I fell asleep much smoother and calmer that night. Better than I did earlier. A big day was coming, but that was all tomorrow. Tonight, I was safe.
Tonight, I could rest.

We were up early the next morning. The brief was short and to the point. It was our three-man diplomatic team, while the rest of the squad scouts out the surrounding area.
The three of us would be totally exposed in the belly of the beast, a likely unfriendly city. To that end, we would be packing wooden rounds, made by Hastings. They were weaker and would not allow automatic fire, but they would also assure that no one would be too seriously hurt. They were so made they acted more like a shotgun blast in the rifling, shredding themselves and dispursing over a larger area. The splinters were low-powered, and wouldn't penetrate even light clothing. The total force would be enough to knock a man down though.
To that end, each of us packed three mags worth of these makeshift, nonlethal rounds. However, we still carried the remainder to a full combat load in case things got hot.
Speaking of getting hot, we also had the dragons with us. The city has been known to attack dragons on sight, so they'll be hiding in the forests surrounding the city. Kish was entrusted with another one of my crucifixes cloned in Turtle's bowl. We also made another for McManis, since he was also someone who needed to have a permanent method of communication.
After briefing, once I sent everyone to get what they need for a fight, I noticed Qibli, Turtle, Travers, and McManis all disappeared. But I was too busy asking a bowl for twice as much rounds of 8mm Mauser short. Loading individual rounds was tedious at best, and I did a quick cleaning and oiling of my weapons to make sure they were fit for battle.
Hastings walked in on me as I had the guts of my MKB spread over the tarp.
"Wonderful piece of engineering."
"Huh?" I said, looking up. "Oh. Yeah. I must admit, the Krauts are about two decades ahead of us in firearms development."
"Yeah."
Hastings watched over me as I put my rifle back together. I mumbled to myself as I set the parts back in their place.
"Firing pin, bolt, put the bolt back in the... carrier, slide it back in here, pivot the trigger group back up, spring, stock. This is the hard part."
I relegated to carefully laying my weight on the back of my rifle, lining it up so I could slip the takedown pin into its recess. Once that was done, I took it up, charged it twice, then dry fired it in a safe direction.
"Looks good." I remarked.
"Sounds good." Hastings nodded.
"Ready to rock and roll."
I loaded up my mag of wooden rounds, not charging it. I set the fire selector to einzelfeuer and the rifle on safe. Nodding to Hastings, we made our way back to position Alpha.
There, we met the missing men and dragons. They all looked to be holding a convention.
"Gentlemen?"
All eyes were on me. I missed a step to turn sideways, not knowing what to expect. Travers came to meet me.
"Lieutenant."
I saw the look on his face. "Oh no. What did you do Travers?"
"Nothing that all of us didn't sign off on Marvin." McManis quickly stated.
Well, that makes me even more suspicious. I thought, mumbling.
What is?
Moon appeared behind me.
My men are doing something. I rolled my head at her. I don't know what.
"Again, sorry to interrupt your private conversation, but we... have prepared a few gifts for you." McManus stated.
"We all noticed how you sacrificed everything so the rest of your soldiers could get a good night's sleep," Qibli commented.
I noticed Moon looked at Qibli with a confused stare.
"So... we figured, we should give you a few things to help." Travers smiled.
"In the coming battles." McManis finished Turtle's sentence.
Travers came up with a small bag. The imprints sounded like a bunch of small objects. He offered them to me.
A bag of animus touched objects. Why am I not more suspicious?
I trust them. And I know you do as well. Moon commented.
I sighed. Fair enough. You have the final say though, no matter what. You know my baseline behavior. You remove whatever changes me immediately... please?
Of course.
"Open it already Marvin! We spent a hell-of-a-lot-of time trying to think these through!" Travers was on the edge of his seat.
"Okay. Okay."
I opened the bag, pulling out the first object. I hesitated when I felt an odd electrical shock when I lifted it up. There, was my compass I found off of an overrun artillery battery.
"You went through my stuff. Yay." I said flatly.
McManis chuckled, but responded. "It's your compass. But there's a couple things added to it."
I looked up at them.
"We enchanted it so it would show the direction of wherever you want to go."
"But it'll still work as a normal compass when you aren't going anywhere," Travers spoke out.
I moved it around, watching the needle correct itself. "Aww. Thank you, guys. I'll definitely put this to good use."
"That's not all." Turtle commented.
I only nodded and reached in to get the next thing. It was a black matte zippo lighter. I instinctively flicked it open, flicked the striker and drew a flame. I immediately noticed the flame did not flicker like normal, even in the gentle breeze around Jade Mountain.
Curious.
"You noticed." McManis smiled.
"Yeah. A really windproof lighter." I closed it. "Thank you, guys." I looked up.
"It should also work when it's wet. In case it rains or something." Travers commented.
"Useful for tons of things." I motioned to Travers, flicking the lighter closed simultaneously. "Thank you, guys."
Reaching back in, I pulled out my standard crookneck horizontal flashlight.
"What is this one enchanted with?" I still felt that small electrical tingle.
"It's supposed to cast a long, concentrated beam that doesn't fade for 100 yards." McManis described.
"So you can spot out things from really far away." Travers simplified.
"Or signal to your friends or something," Qibli commented.
I motioned with it.
"Now this'll be useful during a nighttime operation. Thank you guys again." I smiled.
"Last one," Travers stated, before he was judged by McManis.
I drew out my glasses.
"Binoculars? Wha-"
I looked partly through them, then discovered something. silhouettes of dragons and people were clearly marked, with lines of various colors.
"Yup." McManis nodded. "Those have been enchanted to clearly show people, dragons, and other animals that could pose a threat."
"It can see through bushes, and even walls!" Travers added.
"Even your rifle's scope should be similar." Qibli also added.
"Wow." I chuckled. "You guys really shouldn't have. I-I..."
"Make good use of them Marvin. That's our only requirement." McManis laid a hand on my shoulder. The animus wielders nodded.
"Oh, we also made a couple of other improvements. The radios now have unlimited range, and clarity. So we can talk to each other no matter the distance or obstacles."
"Handy. That'll be useful." I nodded.
"And we also made a couple gauze rolls instantly heal wounds when placed over them."
McManis handed one of the rolls to me. I set all the new equipment into the various points on my uniform and trench coat.
"And with your permission. Marvin."
Travers pointed at something on my hip. I followed his finger to the Spirit of America. I pointed at it, he nodded.
"What do you plan to do with it?" I asked, setting my hand on the pistol.
"Make it always reliable," McManus said, "like they did with my rifle. Maybe... whenever you shoot it, the rounds always find their target."
I hesitated handing it to them.
"Actually... No. This isn't mine to decide." I slid it back into its holster. "Thanks for the offer though. The 1911's already reliable as all hell enough."
That drew a chuckle, but mostly respect and even a bit of awe.
"Alrighty. Thank you for all the gifts." I smiled and nodded to my friends. "I'll make good use out of them.
"So if that's all the planning in prep, are we set to move out?"
Kish walked up to me.
"We're ready sir. On your orders."
The Jade Winglet stepped up as fire support and transport. Along with Clay, Tsunami, and Fatespeaker. All of them stood at the ready.
"Alright then. Everyone mount up!"

"Radio check. Radio check. Alpha 1-1. How copy?" I spoke into the grey, boxy, device.
"This is Alpha 1-2. You are Lima Charlie Marvin."
"This is... Alpha 1-3, like Kish says, loud and clear." Came over Jimmy.
"Great Lima Charlie. We are moving to Lima Delta. Alpha 1-1 out."
"1-2 out."
"1-3 out."
I chuckled thinking of Qibli and Moon asking what all those code signs and words were.
It's the phonetic alphabet. I already told Qibli about the number designations we use.
Yes, but be safe.
I was startled by Moon's voice appearing out of nowhere. I half expected her to be directly behind me, but I knew she was ducking away in the trees far behind us.
Hot dang Moon. You scared me.
Sorry. But still.
Stay safe, stay secret, not quite stay hidden. Yeah, I know I messed it up.
I heard Moon's giggle. McManis and Travers grouped on me.
"All set Marvin," McManis stated.
"Alrighty." I nodded back to him. We'll be right back Moon. Remember, you're in charge. Should anything go wrong, get Kish involved. You'll know what to do.
I only felt a mental nod. I nodded again in response.
"Ready?" McManus asked me softly.
"Yeah. Let's go."
McManus patted me twice. We filed out onto the open, leaving our concealment in the trees. McManus waited up for me, letting me take point. McManus fell back to my right, Travers on my left.
Wedge formation between the three of us. The city loomed far in the distance, about 300 yards out from the forest. A long ride to an assumed hostile force. Everyone had their weapons slung, and we spread out plenty across the field. The wind blew hard, I walked nearly sideways to counteract it. McManus shared my experience, while Travers masquated as a leaf. We walked in silence, but McManus's mind kept me entertained.
Yeah, definitely thick walls. We'd need 16-inch guns to blast those things down, maybe 105s or 155s could with a 25/7 fire mission. There's no one outside. Strange. Normally, there'd be perimeter guards watching the walls for sabotage. Maybe there's less of a garrison than we think? I see people on the walls though. Dummies. Any idiot would know to stay low in cover. Never silhouette yourself to the sky, you'll live a lot longer. Even Gossling could make that shot from this far away. Look at all those idiots.
"I'm willing to bet ten bucks they have bows and arrows, not rifles. They obviously aren't trained to deal with our weapons."
McManis missed a step. "That's a good theory, Marvin." That actually might be it. In all the reading, the only thing about ranged weapons are RainWing blowguns and bows and arrows like he said. Qibli seemed to be interested in guns, like he doesn't know anything about them. He's well versed, he would be the person to know anything at all. Marvin's right. No one here knows shit about firearms. That's an advantage.
Now he shifted back to thinking tactically as we came within 100 yards.
I noticed some activity on the walls. Peepholes flashed, and I saw men post up in the little pieces of cover on the top of the fortress wall. I noticed so many defensive works formed into this defensive fortification. There were peepholes that allowed weapons to fire down at approaching attackers. There were overhangs; so grenades or other dangers could be dropped onto people up against the wall. There was no place that was uncovered.
And we were going in there.
At least most of this is outside. Once we're inside, that'll be the easy part.
We slowed our roll, trying to be as non-threatening as possible. Once we were in earshot, about 30 yards out, we finally encountered resistance.
"That's far enough!" I heard a shout. We all stopped.
Great, they speak English. No language barrier. I sighed. Hail Britannica intensifies.
"State your business!"
"We're here to talk with the person in charge!"
I heard the announcing soldier laugh at that. He spoke to his fellow guards, but I managed to hear them through. Mind-reading supplementing the edge of audible range.
"You believe this shit?"
"Should we let them in?"
"Ha. Three of them, they'd be eaten alive in ten seconds. They aren't our problem."
The guard appeared again from the embrasures.
"Proceed to the crane!" He ordered.
"You heard him. On me." I motioned with my head.
We faked following his pointing, we already knew where it was, where we needed to go. We kept our distance from the wall, well in sight of the other guards. Walking at a brisker pace, we arrived promptly at the crane.
It was effectively a large platform on a wooden arm with coarse rope keeping everything strung. Only now did we dare approach the wall, just outside the crane's range. We all lined up. I heard ratchets. Looking above us, the wooden platform swung around, lowering towards us. I only stepped back to avoid being crushed. McManus bowed and motioned to us.
"After you."
"Psh." I gawfed. Getting on, grabbing hold of the ropes.
Travers took center, and McManus balanced me out on the right. I flinched when the crane took us up, nearly knocking us all off balance.
"Easy Marvin."
I only nodded, balancing us again. Soon the platform took us over the wall. I saw ten, no, easily twenty men just on our stretch alone. They were all clad in plate armor, carrying crossbows. I made out gladius scabbards on their hips.
These guys are armed for a fight.
They lifted us over and let us down easy on the other side of the wall. Laid at the middle of the pathway, we were met by three soldiers dressed in more ornamental protection.
"So you're asking for the Invincible Lord, strangers."
"That's right." McManus mimicked the grizzled man's voice.
He only chuckled in response. "Follow me."
He turned to clank away. His junior soldiers followed him. There were a few other... villagers who milled staring at us.
Strangers. They aren't from anywhere around here.
They're scared, they ain't worth anything.
That one wears silver on his collar. He's looking to get himself robbed.
I met McManus also looking around.
"Ready arms. Affix bayonets." I spoke low to them.
I walked forward, grabbing the K98 bayonet out of its holster. I slid it onto the end of my rifle, thankful I got a bayonet lug and that it worked with my own knife. McManus's rifle was more of a glorified spear, My rifle's length was on the shorter side, Travers was balanced about in the middle.
"Line formation. Me, McManus, Travers. Move."
The men shuffled to organize. I felt a rifle knock me.
Sorry, Lieutenant.
I nodded in response. I kept a stone's toss' distance from the soldiers. I couldn't help but notice the other villagers staring at us. This whole place looked positively medieval. Everything looked homemade, the only sense of standardization was the soldiers, and even they had their own customized armor and little bits and bobs.
People stared, I only stared back. Their minds were suspicious, and all negative. Like we were here to declare war. They were hostile to us.
My fears were only confirmed when a man stepped out between us and the soldiers. I stopped promptly, giving him a confused look.
"Excuse me." I requested.
"Excuse me? Excuse me!" He looked around, gesturing. "Who does this boy think he is? Excusing himself."
"Hey, sir, I don't want any trouble." I put my off hand up, trying to calm him.
"Sir? Sir! The only sir anywhere on the west side is that man right there." He pointed at the leading soldier. "How dare you insult me with your presence."
I only saw the flash of a knife.

A gunshot.

A scream.
"Ahh! Wizardry! Sorcery!"
I turned around, only to smell McManus's smoking barrel. He had managed to lift it just behind me and put a round into him. He lowered his rifle at my stunned response.
"It splintered. He'll find pricks all over himself the next time he shaves." He simply said; half to me, half to the soldiers looking back at us.
"If he doesn't die, you shot him at close range." I scolded him.
The soldiers rocked up on us, hands on their swords.
"You attacked a man."
"He attacked us first." McManus took point on this. He knew I was soft, Travers couldn't project. McManus could command a presence.
The soldiers scowled at us.
"Carry on." The lead one said.
They walked off.
Both my men looked to me. I charged my rifle.
"Charge your weapons. Stay aware. Heads on a swivel."
They nodded. I moved to catch up. I heard Travers charge his M1.
Now everyone stared, but now they bore a sense of respect, if not, fear. We bunched up a little more, barely keeping outside bayonet range. We stayed alert as we finally left the seedy part of town. Only after crossing through a bazaar.
"Eyes up. 360." I ordered.
I felt McManus turn, walking backwards. He somehow knew how to keep his distance.
A good soldier.
The soldiers carved our way through the growing crowd. I realized it was probably midday, good time for traders and the like.
"Time?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.
"Ten fifty-two hours sir."
"Okay."
"What boy needs to know the time of day?" One of the juniors looked over his shoulder at me.
"Just trying to understand you guys." I explained. "Marketplace opens at eleven?"
"When the sun is highest in the sky traveler."
"We're not travelers." Travers made out.
"Easy-" McManus began to say.
"You traveled a long way. Not just across the field. You don't belong here."
"You got that right." I chuckled.
The second junior wasn't sure to be insulted or at ease.
Who is this person? He seems more... fearless.
Not fearless. I thought. Just content in his own skin, unlike most everyone here. They're starving, or worried about appeasing others. This is who I'm going to have to convince. Lord have mercy.
Something brushed up against me, bumping me. I only looked back to see McManus ready a round.
"Stop kid!" I shouted.
Turning, I spotted the kid trying to disappear into the crowd. I reached for my pistol, but it was gone. I instead charged my rifle. McManus fired into the air. Everyone froze.
Thunder!
Fire, flame.
Who are these strangers?
"Run again kid, and I'll put one right between your eyes!" McManis yelled.
All three of us trained our guns on the poor kid. He stood frozen, scared shitless.
"Watch him." I ordered.
"Sir."
I carefully approached the poor kid. He only wore a robe, a simple hide shirt, and pants with a cord of rope for a belt. I was filled with pity at his sight, but he did have something of mine. I felt his coat, and immediately felt the outline of my pistol. I withdrew the cloak, revealing the polished wood and steel of my pistol.
"He stole from you. You can press charges."
"The penalty for stealing is death."
The two juniors talked so fast, McManus trained towards them. They shut up quickly. I knelt down to him.
"Hey, kid," I asked him while I set it back in my own holster. "Do you have food for tomorrow?"
It was an odd question to ask, but hesitated for a moment, then shook his head. I only reached behind me into my pack, withdrawing my ration box. I handed it to him.
"There. Payment for my friend here."
The soldiers only gasped.
"But... he stole from you."
"Any other person would be put to death."
I stood back up. "The pistol isn't mine folks. I'm just entrusted with it. He didn't steal from me. I only negotiated its release." I looked around at the crowd. "The box is mine though. If I find it stolen by the end of the day, the thief will be flogged, and then executed. Those are my orders."
Everyone was still. Even I reconsidered if I should try using that kind of power here. But their minds echoed my intended effect.
Meeting up with the leader again, I motioned for my men to lower their weapons.
"You are a strange stranger indeed." He said. "What was your name again?"
"Lieutenant Marvin Jerez, 'hundred and first Airborne." I pointed to my eagle badge.
"I am Ahasuerus Pulcher, of his Invincible Lord's army."
He made a salute with his arm. I only responded with my own.
"So... are we staying here to talk, or can we finally talk with this Invincible Lord?" Not so invincible if you ask me.
I heard the faint laughter of Moon. I actually thought I had left our range by now.
Pulcher only huffed and marched on.
"On me," I said over my shoulder.
I followed after him. Now the two juniors were on my aft, right behind me. McManis still marched backwards, with Travers keeping watch over the five of us.

We marched for a little while longer, before coming across a large building, I could only describe as a castle. We were led through a large wooden gate and drawbridge. Ten men with those spears with ax heads on the end, they stood guard.
Lots of security. This must be the right place.
I only nodded at McManus's comment.
Our friend here led us up a few flights of stairs and corridors. I had my men stow their bayonets to avoid nicking anyone or damaging the walls. We were still prepared for a close-quarters fight though.
Suddenly, we were brought before a large room. It was decorated with ornate marble columns, pictures of various events framed in dark varnished wood and gold leaf. This whole place stunk of aristocracy.
"Wait here. I will send word."
Pulcher left the three of us alone in the room. McManis and Travers both looked to me. I listened out for them until I knew they were beyond earshot.
"So they're friendly."
"Have you seen this place? It's medieval, they still use bows and arrows."
"So we have the technological and strategic advantage. That's something."
"But this place, it's anything goes here. Dog eat dog. Survival of the fittest."
"Yeah, I kind of figured that."
Travers settled into the cushy couch off to my right, while McManis grabbed the other end. I was the only one to remain standing.
"I don't like this, not one bit."
"What would Goldman want from a place like this? Treasure? Power?"
"Something. If he's willing to siege it."
I hushed McManis when I heard Pulcher coming back. We all stood, as he appeared in the doorway.
"Our lord will see you now."
Not my lord. "Alright. On me men."
We followed him through a couple more corridors. I noticed the temperature drop as we approached a final doorway. It opened up for us, leading into a huge and tall room. Lines of soldiers and servants, it was like a church. A single person sat on a gold-encrusted throne at the end of the pathway. We walked tentatively up. Pulcher got down and bowed completely to the Invincible Lord. I wasn't about to embarrass myself or my men that way. I only offered a rifle salute, as I was still holding my own.
Crossing my right hand horizontally over my chest. The rest of my men did the same. The rest of the onlookers looked like I was being disrespectful and their minds reflected it. But a single mind was prominently ticked off.
Why does he not bow to me? Does he not know who I am?
I simply spoke up. "1st Lieutenant Marvin Jerez of the One Hundred and First Airborne Division, reporting."
I let myself at ease, and the rest of my men followed suit.
"I must forgive you that you are new here. I must say, I have never seen a visitor greet me this way before." He said with some spite behind it.
"Well... we haven't necessarily been in this neck of the woods either." I gently pushed back. If it was the one thing I could do, was negotiate a compromise.
"Your weapons." He motioned. "They spit thunder and fire, do they not?"
I inspected my MKB.
"You... could say that." I looked back up at him.
Is he mocking me? "Do they, or don't they?"
"Do. Technically." Travers peeped up.
"He is right," I backed him.
"Hmm." His gears were turning. These are weapons, they can easily decimate our finest soldiers. I must have them.
"Our weapons are not for sale." McManis came out of left field. Reminding me you don't have to be a mindreader to guesstimate a person's next move.
"Pity. Then you are no worth to me." He waved his hand. "Take them away."
The guard moved up on us.
"Hey!" I trained up at him, racking the bolt of my rifle. Everyone froze. A shell clattered across the room. McManis and Travers scanned around, facing down men with spear-ax things. But Mr. Lord here already knows what these can do, and he knows one is trained right at him.
"You won't kill me." He growled.
"Not unless you tell your men to stand down." I shot back.
"Why would I do that? You are surrounded and outnumbered. Your death is guaranteed."
"Maybe. But that doesn't mean I can't take everything here with me."
With my left hand, I grasped one of my grenades.
"Marvin?" McManis asked. Don't do it. I know you will.
"This, if I let this go, will kill everything in the room after five seconds." I looked around, starting down the lord who stood before me. "I can kill you in half a second. Your choice Mr. Invincible Lord. I waste five minutes of your time and leave peacefully, or we kill you and destroy half your army."
He gritted his teeth, trying to think his way out of this.
"Limited time offer. You have five seconds, and you've already used up four."
"Okay!" shouting instantly. He motioned for his men to move away.
They did. They looked on in fear at me and my men.
"If you want the throne, I will give it to you." But I have no plans of letting you keep it.
"What?" I frowned. "I have no plans for your throne. It's yours, I just want to talk."
That surprised even him.
Who is this Marvin? He challenges me, but does not make me abdicate. He does not bluff. He means his word. This is a dangerous man.
"I'm no more dangerous than my college, who is marching on this place this very moment." I shifted. "He is in no mood for peace, but I am."
"What are you suggesting?" The Lord asked.
"An evacuation." My voice echoed around.
"Evacuation? Do you know how many people live in my city? The dragons will have a feast if we leave them unguarded-"
"The dragons won't harm you. I have made sure of that."
The room went silent.
Oh crap.
"Are you saying..." He stood up again, "that you're a dragonslayer?"
"No. Well, yes. I mean, I could be, but I'm not." I stuttered, trying to answer this question as best I could. "We are more than capable of killing a dragon, but we don't want to."
"How could you want to do anything? Dragons have terrorized us for centuries! Destroying our towns, murdering our families!"
"They've stopped doing all that. It's against the law now."
I instinctively smacked myself in the face, producing a loud slap that echoed thrice in the huge room.
"Law? Dragons?" He scoffed. "You truly are strange, and a lunatic. Guards."
I pulled my pistol on the closest guard.
"Lay a hand on my or my men, and you'll have a closed casket funeral."
He backed off promptly.
Now that the guards had been thoroughly intimidated, I could focus on the Invincible Lord.
"Understand, sir, that we are not here for conquest or loot or anything like that, we're here to warn you."
"And what warning does this lunatic bring me?" Still mocking me while staring down the barrel of a rifle.
"A man, is marching an army on this city."
The Invincible Lord started laughing with a deep, almost maniacal laughter.
"You come to warn me of an army? There is no other way in or out without my permission. The walls cannot be broken, even by dragons. How do you think this man can ever succeed."
"Because he has something else. Something more powerful."
Marvin. Don't.
I tried my best to skate around Goldman being an animus, but it was too late.
"This man will succeed in this attack because... because he's a wizard."
The whole room filled with commotion, and the Lord's laughter.
"Wizards? What do you take me as? A fool?"
"Hopefully not." I said in all seriousness "His attack is coming sometime today. We have no time to waste, you need to evacuate your city right now."
"This wizard, if he has magic, then let us see it. You are speaking blasphemy."
I turned around to McManis and Travers. Travers looked afraid, but I knew he looked to me for orders. McManis almost imperceptibly nodded.
I don't like it, but we don't have another choice.
"Travers?" He looked over at me, horrified, then with a mischievous grin. "Give the Lord here a magic show."
"My pleasure." He left down his rifle, motioning with his hand. "Shield! Come off that wall and stay there."
I looked over to witness. The shield came off its bracket on the wall, before flying over to where Travers pointed.
"Spear! Stab the shield!"
One of the soldier's spears lifted off, before accelerating itself and pierced straight through the shield. A terrible crunch and cracking noise, splinters went everywhere. Travers let the mishmash of weaponry fall before the Invincible Lord's throne. He sat at the edge of his seat, obviously agitated.
"Sadly, that's not all we're packing." I let my weapons down. "I, for one, can tell you're thinking of how exactly you can weaponize my friend here. He can only affect things within his sight radius, and his enchantments can do more than make a spear and shield float. He could enchant this next bullet to keep flying to its target no matter what, or enchant that armor to be impenetrable."
The Invincible Lord became terrified. I turned away from him, looking at the soldier closest to me. The same one I pulled my pistol on moments earlier.
"He's thinking of whether or not you're the most powerful person in this room anymore. He has a child in bed with a cold. His wife bargains every day for medicine, but also leaves his house undefended. He wants to leave and take care of his family, but he knows you'll kill him for treason."
The soldier took a step back, his mind going in circles. Everyone except McManis was going in circles. I focused on him for a moment, letting the wave of terror and confusion flow around me. Still, the nervousness and terror broke through, I felt my breathing constrict some. But I did not show anyone else's fear.
"So yes, if you haven't noticed already, but I'm a mind reader. He's an animus." I motioned to Travers. "He's here because he knows more about places like this, and because he thinks I can't intimidate."
"Not anymore Marvin," McManis commented. That broke a smile.
I slowly walked up to the Invincible Lord, leaning over him, close enough to smell his rotten breath. "So. Sir. I advise, for your and your citizen's safety, to evacuate this city."
I let him down.
"What about the dragons?" A scared soldier broke out.
"I have negotiated a truce with them. And I have eight more men securing the area around this city. The dragons will not harm anyone, as long as you do not harm them. We will move you to a safer place."
"No place is as safe as the Invincible City!" The Invincible Lord stood up, exclaiming.
Marvin? You have company.
Just as my radio began to light up.
"Alpha 1-1! Alpha 1-1! This is 1-2. Enemy troops sighted to the South 800 yards."
Compounded with that, a messenger ran in, promptly bowing to the Invincible Lord.
"My lord! Strangers spotted over the horizon. An army."
"They're here to take the city." I promptly said. "You have to decide now, right now, to stay and die or evacuate the city to the north."
He growled softly.
"Fine!" He threw up a hand.
He turned to me.
"What should you have us do... Mar-ven." He said, evidently pissed.
I only smiled, mouthed a thank you, and got out the radio.
"Alpha 1-2. Alpha 1-2. This is 1-1 Move to Phase three."
"1-2 to phase three."
"1-3 to phase three."

"Get all your men in cover. Don't let them silhouette themselves. Rifles have a range a hundred times longer than a bow, and more accurate."
I moved quickly. There would be no long-range firefight if we didn't get everyone equipped in time. McManus and Travers were busy cloning M1s and bandoliers for the growing force. I didn't worry about treasonous soldiers, we would see them coming a hundred miles away.
I noticed the soldiers still wearing their armor.
"Take that shit off. It's worthless, and'll hinder you in the fight."
They looked at each other, then at their Lord shadowing me.
"Do what he says."
They began undoing their armor. I slammed open the door to the armory. Travers and McManus both stood to meet me, a huge wooden bowl stood between them.
"Good?" I asked them.
"Good Marvin." McManus nodded.
"Okay."
I still didn't know how that thing could hold liquids. I let them be. I moved back out to the courtyard.
"Officer on deck!"
My squad stood from their tables to meet me.
"At ease. Keep going. Any able-bodied man is needed for the defense."
A few men dressed in rags were milling about. I noticed that the only people actually working were the soldiers, and a few other exceptions. Their minds were trying to stay out of whatever was going on.
I walked briskly up to the men sitting idle. They looked up at me from their smoking.
"May I ask why you aren't helping?"
One man spoke up to me.
"We are not under his Lord. If you want us, you better pay."
I sighed.
"Will your lives be enough?"
That drew their attention, but they were still suspicious.
"What do you mean squire?" Another asked.
"I mean there's a large rival force fitting to attack the city. Now if you aren't going to fight, can you at least spread the word?"
"Are you under his Lord's kingship?" If you are. You're as bad as the rest of them.
"The only Lord I serve is God. I don't serve him." I motioned to the Invincible Lord. "So are you fighting, or are you running?"
They looked at one another.
I got a couple rifles off the table behind me, holding them up. Two of them got up, grabbing the rifles.
"Group up over there. You lad, warn the whole town. As many as you can."
Everyone was up, the one man tore down the street.
"Hope rides with you! Warn them! Northern crane!"
"Lieutenant! They're attacking!" My designated rigleman ran up to me.
My eyes widened, looking around. "To the wall!" I swung my arm for them to follow.
I followed Wessely up a hundred flights of stairs, dancing around riflemen as they moved to their positions. Finally making our way up, I was met by a hail of tracers. Rifleman up and down the wall were cowering in cover.
Machine guns. No, a machine gun.
That's Goldman.
Taking out my glasses, I followed the tracers back to their gun. There was a man, lying in a bluff, firing onto us. But my glasses picked up more. A lot more.
Shapes. Men. There were so many men that they all looked like an orange blob through my glasses.
"600 yards and closing!" Wesley shouted out. Dialing in his own sniper M1.
I got on the radio. "Are we ready men?"
I heard two pairs of clicks on the radio.
"Okay. Move to Phase 4. Fire at will."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 194 20
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ Recent events have cancelled this old, old story. However! The synopsis for the rest of the chapters I had planned are at the...
49.2K 1.3K 45
This book will be rewritten soon! ------------------------ Adventure, that was what Robin loved most. She loved the thrill of exploring someplace new...
16.8K 469 44
Illustrated story! Moonwatcher realizes that her choices, which affect her entire future, have not been what she wants and longs for. Where does she...
716 4 19
"Yes, on the brightest night, with three full moons. What a waste. Think of the power he could have had."-Darkstalker to Moon, Moon Rising Starfl...