The Boy Who Lived

By drarrycuddles

A Drarry Story and a 'soulmate' story. Set in an AU in which Minerva rescues Harry from the Dursley's after b... More

Author's Note
Part One
That lot...
Just Harry
Meeting Draco Malfoy
Brewing Trouble
The Worst Birthday
Life is Never Simple
Aunt Marge's Big Mistake
Marauders at Large
Dementors, Boggarts, and other Monsters...
Haunted Snowballs and Full Moons
Sometimes this Place Breeds Trouble
The Triwizard Tournament
He's Come Back!
Order and Rules
Dictatorship and its Downfall
Houses and Homes
The Incident
Illusions
The Malfoy Mask
A Cautious Allegiance
Unexpected Guests at the Manor
A Spontaneous Assembly
The Final Battle
Immediate Aftermath
Panic
The Wizard Courts
The Muggle Courts
Part 2
April Fools
A Little Bit of Parseltongue
Teddy Training
Hagrid Again
The Boy Who Lived Twice
'The Closet Clam'
FIRE! FIRE!
Breath of Life
A Brief Curiosity Unfolds
Reasons for Rogue Magic
Nightmares
A Suspicious Bargain
Self-Humiliation
Stupid Bloody Letter
Therapy
Who do you Trust?
A Day of Errant Magic
Madame Gide Again
Life Never Goes to Plan
Chudley Cannon's Star Keeper
Operation Triple-F
Tears of Laughter, Tears of Pain
'RON WEASLEY HAS QUIT THE GAME!'
Gaining Approval
Time to go Home
Part 3
House-Elves and Stuff
I'd Like to Stay...
This is Dangerous...
With Immediate Effect
Two Experiments
Not Going "Boom!"
Emergency Meeting!
The Gamekeeper and the Librarian
An Ancient and Noble Bloodline
Great-Grandfather Henry
Godric Gryffindor
The Portrait Artist
Behold! The House of Potter
Acceptance and Hope
The Orange Place
Revelations
A Syllabus of Curses
Turmoil
The Goddess Minerva
A Coven of Witches
Calling In Unannounced
The Skin of One's Teeth
The Sword
Appeasing the Ancestors
That Lot!
The Ceremony, of sorts, and some news
Who's Who, According to Luna Lovegood

Appeasing House-Elves

1.1K 89 4
By drarrycuddles

Harry rescued all the paintings that had fallen off the walls in the master bedroom, repairing them before he stacked them along the corridor to find new homes at a later date. He also vanished the old faded curtains and the broken curtain poles.

Ossy reappeared just as Harry was moving all the shrunken furniture out of the room so he could assess what he was really facing.

'OUT!' Harry commanded, his magic swirling around him in a haze. 'Come back when I'm done.'

Ossy went away groaning and pulling his ears again. 'Never,' Harry heard him mutter, 'in all my years at Beaumont...'

He switched off from the elf's grumblings and lifted the corner of the carpet to discover a beautiful wood floor underneath. The carpet was vanished in a flick of the hand and Harry crawled across the floor in sections, repairing any damage he came across and polishing it meticulously until the oak floor shone in smooth golden perfection and it smelt of warm beeswax in the sunshine. It would be a surprise for Draco but he hoped of the ideal kind.

This was how Harry laboured for the rest of the morning: the old wallpaper vanished, the walls finished to smooth faultlessness in a soft cream that also covered the ornate ceiling and the expansive plasterwork. The windows were more of an issue; how was Harry supposed to stop his accidental magic ripping down any coverings he chose? Harry realised there were white shutters already in place, already built into the old deep window frames. Harry immediately set to work, weaving and directing his magic to releasing the old shutters from fused layers of dried paint.

It was still a risk that his magic would destroy them but hopefully they were a sturdier option.

Ossy silently reappeared, bringing Harry a drink and a sandwich which he greedily finished before he carried on with his work. He wanted to prove to Ossy as much as Draco that he would love his heritage and make it a beautiful home; his beautiful home. It was strange to recognise that even in less than twenty-four hours, he already felt like he belonged. He knew he would not be going back to Grimmauld Place beyond the odd visit. Grimmauld Place was always Sirius' house and, even then, it never held good memories. Beaumont, although too large and ostentatious in many ways, was definitely his home. He felt that with every fibre of his being.

His drink was refreshed and his food supply renewed but he didn't leave the bedroom for lunch. By the time he finished, he'd opened up the turret with a big open archway to create a beautiful sitting area with a charcoal daybed that basked in the mid-day sunlight and matched the large rug he found in another room. He mended the damaged furniture he wanted to keep and transfigured the broken bedframe into a low dais for the mattress so they couldn't go crashing to the floor again. Then he bonded all furniture to the floor or walls in the hope that he couldn't repeat sending it across the room. All the bedding was transformed to ivory and the room was light and airy and modern but maintained its traditional features.

When Ossy reappeared again with another refreshing drink for Harry, he brought Letty, Tilly, and Carls. Ammy brought Teddy too. Ossy tried hard to look like he was scolding Ammy who twirled in the sunlight pouring through the window, repeating as she went, 'it is being most beautiful, Master Harry, most beautiful!'

Harry took her hands and twirled with her and Teddy, laughing and thanking her. And Letty and Tilly giggled too. He wondered about how many rooms there were in the Hall, whether he could possibly do this with every one of them. Certainly, while his magic was so assessable and needed utilising. He knew that once every room were finished to the same level and the same tidiness, it would help him to relax into the ownership of the Hall. It seemed a mountain to climb but he'd dealt with worse. He imagined that the worst the Hall would throw at him would be a few doxies.

'You said my magic needed directing, Ossy. I hope you approve.'

'Yes, Master Harry, I is overwhelmed, I is not thinking you could be loving your family house suitably. I is sorry for doubting a Potter, sir.' Ossy looked so sad as he stroked his ears that Harry took immense pity on him.

'Ossy,' Harry knelt before him. 'I'm sorry you thought badly of me. I didn't mean to damage my home in any way, it was accidental, please believe that.' He paused, toying with the troubled idea that he'd been mulling over all morning. 'Ossy, I need to think what to do with all this space. How many bedrooms are there?'

'There is being twenty-seven, Master Harry.'

'Twenty-seven! But Draco, Teddy, Hercules and I only need a few rooms to live in and some space for when our friends come. What do I do with the rest?'

'I is not knowing, sir. Once upon a time, the Potters have many visitors, so I is told. It is being always told by the older House-Elves that their forefathers is telling stories about many people here but that is being an expensive thing to be doing and the Potters is never being decadent so I is not sure how this is being or why more bedrooms is being built. Mostly the families is living only in the east and south wings and is storing things in the other rooms. Apart from Master Fleamont who is wanting his study and potions laboratory in the north wing.'

'The rooms above here, how many was there again?'

'There is being four, three is being in the turrets.'

'I need to talk to Draco about it, but I wonder if we arrange with Kreacher and Ruby to move our studies up there and Draco can have one of the turret rooms as his potions lab. He likes it being at the top of the house in case of any fumes.'

'Yes, Master Harry, Kreacher and Ruby is already being packing up Grimmauld Place and starting to bring over your belongings. I is talking to them.'

'Are the rooms empty upstairs, I can't remember.'

'Yes, Master Harry. Those ones is being mostly empty.'

'Okay, I'll think on it all and let you know. Now, however, I must walk Hercules and pay some attention to poor Teddy, both of whom have been neglected all day and what about a bedroom for Mione, she should stay tonight? Pansy and Luna too.'

'Sir, the family is always living in the main building so there is Master James's and Master Sirius's rooms here...'

'Where did Peter stay,' Harry asked with a shudder.

'Master Peter is not staying very often. His mother is not liking him to be away from home with people she is not knowing. He is only twice staying and sharing with Master James because he is being very nervous about being away from home. We is, traditionally, always using the east and south wings for the family's other friends.'

'Then who am I to break a tradition?' Harry smiled at the elf who was appearing more and more happy with him.

'For Miss Hermione, I is suggesting the room that Miss Lily is using when she is staying?'

'My mother?' Harry's heart thumped wildly. He hadn't realised his mother had stayed here.

'Yes, Master Harry. Before Master James and Miss Lily got married. Perhaps I is showing you now?'

'Please,' his voice came out choked but he followed Ossy down to the gallery that looked down over the hall where he saw Mione, Luna, Pansy, and Draco bent over Merlin's book, with piles of other books building up around them and several notepads covered in scrawls and diagrams and runes they were trying to translate. Draco had said he would be back shortly after lunch as he didn't have an afternoon surgery that day. Harry admired him in his work clothes, pleasant memories returning of walking into his veterinary practice back in April. Draco immediately glanced up as if sensing Harry's presence and they smiled at one another. Harry gave him a cheeky wink and caught up with Ossy as Draco turned back to something Mione was saying.

'Ossy? How many books are there here?'

'Many, Master Harry, very many. More than there is at Hogwarts and maybe even the Ministry. There is many old books in Master Fleamont's old study too and many in the storage boxes. Why is you asking, sir?'

Harry frowned, uncertain at the idea that was forming. 'I'm not sure, but if some of them are as rare as Mione seems to think, then surely I should be sharing them with the magical world...'

'You cannot be meaning to be giving them away, Master Harry?'

'No, Ossy. But maybe I could open up the collection to scholars, like the muggles do with their special libraries. Just seeing my friends like that made me imagine offering something to people who are researching and studying.'

'Yes, sir.' Ossy's large eyes gleamed. 'That is sounded very wonderful sir'

'Well, it's not going to happen immediately, but it's something to think on.'

Ossy nodded and pushed open a door to a pale green and white room in the east wing that Harry remembered from their tour the previous day. It definitely looked a bit jaded but he decided that after walking Hercules he could easily rejuvenate it.

'I is sending Tilly to collect Mr Crookshanks then,' said Ossy. 'So he is not lonely while Mistress Hermione is staying with us.'

Harry smiled at the thought, amused by how much the elves knew about Harry and his friends. He also wondered how Crookshanks would take to Tilly suddenly cat-napping him to a strange location.

He enjoyed his walk with Hercules and Teddy, taking time to observe details in the grounds too. Teddy spotted a folly on the other side of the lake so they headed around the shoreline and up a hill until they reached the octagonal tower half hidden amongst some trees. He snorted. It was for animals, it seemed, judging by the low door at the base and the remnants of hay inside. Teddy was climbing the precarious steps that spiralled around the outside of the tower.

'Tilly?' he called and the elf appeared. 'Do we have livestock?' he asked.

'Yes, sir. There is many Dorset sheep and some Old Gloucester cattle that we've had here since Beaumont is being built, both is rare breeds. They is managed by the estate manager, Mr Gulliver. Is you wanting to meet him, Master Harry?'

'Maybe tomorrow,' he sighed, suddenly overawed by how much he had to learn.

'Is you liking the goat tower?'

'Yes,' he smiled.

'Da! Look at me!' Teddy called from the top platform.

'Teddy! Don't fall!' Harry watched him avidly, ready to cast a Cushioning Spell if it were suddenly required.

'Hello, Tilly!' Teddy yelled, waving wildly.

'I think you should come back down, Teddy. Carefully! Go backwards!' He wondered what to do about the boy, he was positively fearless. 'Teddy, you're not to go climbing up there without me around. I don't want you running off either. I know there's lots to explore but I don't want to lose you.'

'Yes, Da,' Teddy shouted, already running off to explore the next thing.

He turned to Tilly, 'what did my grandma do about my dad. I wouldn't be surprised if Teddy and my dad are similar.'

Tilly smiled, 'yes, Master James is always not listening and is getting into trouble. Once he is even falling in the lake when he is not being able to swim properly. That is the first time he is doing accidental magic because he is summoning a boat from the boathouse and when we is finding him, he is sitting in it, in the middle of the lake, very wet with his hair sticking out everywhere. Mistress Euphemia is most upset but Master James is just laughing because no one is getting to him. Every time Master Fleamont is trying to Accio the boat, Master James is pulling it back on purpose. It is being a big game to Master James. He is only being Teddy's age. We can always be putting a trace on Teddy, Master Harry. And he is very taken with Ammy, perhaps she can help out. This is being what Mistress Euphemia is doing.'

Harry decided it was a priority to get Teddy swimming without his Muggle armbands, just in case. 'If Letty doesn't need Ammy, that's a brilliant idea.' He flicked a trace in Teddy's direction, at least he wouldn't lose him in the grounds. 'Tilly, how big is the parkland, I know they told me at Gringotts but I was a little overwhelmed by everything?'

'1,200 acres, sir... and there is farmland too. Master Gulliver looks after that though.'

Harry whistled, it sounded huge even though he couldn't comprehend what it actually meant.

They ambled side by side, following in Teddy's erratic wake.

'Master Fleamont is being only interested his potions and becoming famous for his Sleekeasy Potion, he was the one that turned the old library into the potions laboratory and is moving the books to the Great Hall gallery. Master Fleamont is always encouraging the boys to experiment with him. Master Remus especially is liking playing in the lab but Master James and Master Sirius spent many hours outside, mostly exploring and causing mischief. Master Henry, Fleamont's father, is teaching them all many naughty tricks. Mistress Euphemia's passion is being out here and she is being very interested in conserving the old Muggle breeds of animals, especially local ones. Mistress Euphemia is keeping Bagot Goats, they is very rare and is being endangered. They is classed as vulnerable,' Tilly said, showing pride in her old mistress's work.

Harry was delighted to learn something of his grandmother. 'What happened to them?'

'Many is sold or getting old after Mistress Euphemia passed away but I is keeping some goats in the walled garden, we is having two called Peverell and Glinda, they is having kids now; Hardwin and Iolanthe,' she beamed.

'They're named after my ancestors!'

'All the goats is named after famous wizards and witches. Perhaps Master Harry is liking to have goats in the tower again, just like his grandmother?'

'Maybe, Tilly. When things are a bit more settled, I'll could consider it. And we'll see what Draco wants, seeing as animals are his speciality not mine. What other animals did Euphemia have?'

'Many Muggle animals. She is having many types of chickens, but especially Old English Game, Welbars, Sebrights, and Rosecombs.' Tilly looked exceptionally pleased even though Harry had no idea what she was talking about. 'Euphemia is also keeping Gloucester Old Spot pigs and a rescue donkey that she took from a nasty Muggle at the beach who is beating it with a stick. Unfortunately, Noah is died but he is living for at least twenty-nine years, so he is being very old. There is still being her ducks and geese on the lake. But she is also having Magical Creatures. There is a Hippogriff paddock and I is hearing once there is being two Thestrals in the woods but I is not knowing about those because I is never seeing them.'

'I wonder how Luna is doing for work these days...' Harry contemplated out loud. He knew Luna wrote articles on rare magical creatures for her father's paper sometimes but there was no money in it. He decided he should talk to her later.

'I hears she is keeping looking for Crumple-horned Snorkacks in Sweden,' the elf scorned slightly. 'She is better searching for the very rare Knarl, they is far more useful to find. Snorkacks do nothing. We is having Knarls in our grasslands, Master Potter, so you must never be leaving out food or they is savaging our gardens and Carls is being most cross. But their quills is having magical properties and is most expensive for wizards. If we is finding them and breeding them, they is making a good income for the estate.'

'Hmmm,' Harry looked at Tilly thoughtfully. 'I wonder if Luna would like a job here. Do we have a gamekeeper's cottage? Do we have a gamekeeper?'

'We is having a cottage but there is no gamekeeper.'

'And do you have other ideas, like the one about breeding Knarls?'

'Oh yes, sir, I is full of ideas but is having no one to talk to about them. I is liking to make goats cheese and we could be selling it at the Godric's Hollow Farmer's Market every month because there is too much to be eating in the hall, even for the House-Elves.'

They walked side-by-side back to the hall discussing Tilly's ideas as Hercules and Teddy ran happily across the lawns ahead of them. Harry decided he liked Tilly and he trusted her advice even though she was slightly scornful of anything house based.

'What do you think, if I offered Luna the job of gamekeeper and you were to help her and Draco rebuild what my grandmother set up?' he asked.

'I think she is a very good idea. I would be honoured to work with Miss Lovegood, she is being very clever and sees things in nature that others is not seeing, even the Crumple-horned Snorkacks. And Master Draco is very caring for the animals so he is knowing exactly what to do and how to look after them.'

'Tomorrow, Tilly. I would like to see the cottage and meet Mr Swift, perhaps you could come to the hall tomorrow at 9.00am and take me, if that's convenient.'

'Yes, Master Harry. I is being delighted.'

'Thank you, Tilly. Now, I promised to take Teddy swimming and then I must go and sort out a bedroom for Mione and see what they've been up to. Come on, Teddy...'

Harry was surprised at how refreshing the swim was. He'd checked the jetty and found it perfectly safe so they spent a happy hour jumping off it into the cool water. Teddy even tried a little distance of swimming without his armbands from the jetty to Harry who was treading water close by. Then the armbands went back on so they could mess around safely.

Mione's room didn't take long: simply cleaning and obliterating the overload of frills which reminded Harry of Lockhart's taste in fashion. In the end, he thought the room looked quite charming in pale greens and creams and he was pleased with his efforts.

He quickly moved onto the bedroom next door for Luna and Pansy and updated it to soft lilacs and hot pink in a scheme that reminded him of the lupin flowers in the Hall's gardens. With that in mind, despite it being a different room to the one Remus used, he decided it should be the Lupin Room and he created little brass plaques for the doors so it was easy to know which rooms were done and which rooms they were talking about.

There was a large bathroom next door, bigger than Dudley's bedroom and second bedroom put together. There was even a fireplace with an ornate surround and a deep comfy looking armchair. In comparison to the bedroom, the bathroom needed ripping out and replumbing (in Muggle terms).

As he stood contemplating how he wanted it to look, Ossy appeared beside him. 'The green room is looking very nice, sir.'

'The Lily Room?'

'If Master Harry wishes to be calling it so, yes.'

'I think so, then I know where we're talking about. Thank you, I'm glad you approve.'

The House-Elf bowed slightly, looking pleased.

'I wonder if Tilly has some white lilies in the garden that could be put in there and some lupins we could put next door too.'

'I shall ask Carls, sir, the flowers and plants are his love.'

'Ah, that's good to know.'

'Yes, sir. Master Draco is looking for you.'

'Oh!' Harry was surprised. 'Is he still in the main hall, shall I come to him?'

'No, sir. I is sending him to you, we is just being concerned in case you is with your magic.'

'Nothing at the moment, it's safe,' Harry smiled.

'Very good, Master Harry.'

Ossy disappeared and Draco pushed open the bathroom door shortly after.

'Have you got a plan for in here,' Draco drawled but his eyes gleamed.

'Yes, I think so.'

'Good. I think we should experiment...'

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

356K 11K 48
It's been 6 years since the war. Harry and Ginny broke up soon after, and he's living a peaceful quiet life finally not having to fight the bad guys...
129K 3.8K 10
This is a drarry love story. After a devastatingly cute accident in Transfiguration class, Draco (who's had a crush on Potter since second year) beco...
416K 14.8K 200
❝𝐈 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞 𝐚 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐤𝐢𝐬𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐨...
1M 41.3K 34
{Their Family book 1} Harry Potter works as Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts, but while picking Teddy up from the Primary Wizar...