Deceret Series #2: Bleed for...

By hanmariam

deceret (n.) latin word for "body to body" Czarina wants to commit suicide. Death is ready for her, she could... More

Bleed for Love
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Part II
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Epilogue

Chapter 1

29.5K 1.2K 580
By hanmariam

HOT BUZZ

July 7, 2013

---------------------------------------------------------

ARTIST RIGOR VAUGHN TREVERON COMING HOME

Renowned contemporary artist Rigor Vaugh Treveron is set to go home to Philippines this coming week. The young artist skyrocketed to fame after his artwork Perserva, God is Blind, and The First Man made it to the infamous Baltimore Art Exhibition a year ago. He's quickly becoming the adored artist of the town and paired with his devil-may-care bad boy look, girls and even female celebrities are going after him! Rigor is definitely breaking the stereotypes of brooding, boring, and emotional so-called artists. So, if you're wondering how an artist lands in an entertainment page, click on the photo below and see for yourself...

Baltimore is just hoping that his weekend visit to his country won't stretch for too long! The entire town is missing him even before he's gone.

---------------------------------------------------------

I sucked in a deep breath when the photo finally loaded, revealing him in a black wife beater shirt and paint-stained pants, standing darkly next to his artwork that just seems as intimidating as him. My fingers trembled as it hovered on his small face on the screen.

"Czarina!"

Kaagad kong in-exit ang private browser kung saan ko nabasa ang article tungkol sa kaniya. Kyros suddenly appeared out of nowhere, grinning from ear to ear.

"Ano yan ha? Ba't naka-private browser ka? Nagpo-porn ka, no?"

"Tanga. Puro kabastusan lang nasa utak mo." Sinamaan ko siya ng tingin at kaagad na niligpit ang iPad. Binili ko iyon para kay Castian, trying to interest him in watching cartoons or other kid's show but he's not really into it. Ginagamit ko na lamang paminsan-minsan, lalo na kapag breaktime ko sa trabaho o di kaya'y nasa bahay lang ako.

Kyros grinned some more and put down the groceries. I could hear Shantel in the doorway, complaining about the boxes blocking the way and how heavy the bags are. Tinulungan ko agad siyang dalahin iyon sa kusina.

The entire mansion is a mess. The white clothing that covered most of the furniture are still there. I've started cleaning the floors but only covered a fraction of the first floor. Kailangan ko pang linisin ang second at third floor bago kami tuluyang lumipat dito. Sa ngayon, sa outdoor patio kami natutulog. Kyros is with us so I felt safe with my son. We pulled out the teak sofa and made it comfortable with lots of pillows.

Shantel plopped into one of the high stools in the kitchen counter and sighed out loud.

"Oh my God! Why can't you just hire movers? Mamamatay ata ako nang maaga kakahakot sa mga gamit mo!"

I pouted. The acquisition of mansion is so unexpected, and I didn't have enough funds to cover for the sudden expense. I never saw it coming, because it was like hitting the jackpot in a lottery.

"Wala akong budget," sagot ko habang nagtitimpla ng kape para sa aming tatlo. I glanced at Castian who's silently napping on the small wooden chair with his cat. Ibinalik ko ang tingin sa mga mug.

"Bakit ba kasi pa hard to get ka pa? Kyros and I are literally volunteering to move here. Tsaka paminsan lang naman ako rito kasi madalas ako sa Coffee Lib. Hindi naman kita didisturbuhin ng anak mo."

"Oo nga, Czarina!" panggatong naman ni Kyros. "Tsaka, hindi ko rin type ang mga single mother kaya huwag kang mag-alala, hindi ako mafa-fall sa 'yo!"

Gusto kong basagin ang plato sa ulo ni Kyros dahil sa sinabi niya. I glared at him some more and set down the mugs.

"No. You two will just corrupt my child's mind with your constant swearing and bad attitude. Maghanap kayo ng ibang matitirahan."

Shantel placed her hand dramatically on her chest. "Wow. Grabe. Parang hindi ninang ng bata. Nakakasakit ka ng damdamin, sis."

Inirapan ko lang ang kaibigan bago inabot sa kaniya ang kape. She happily sipped on it while Kyros is busy folding his nursing uniform on the counter. Na-guilty ako bigla dahil alam kong may duty pa siya ngayong 6 pm tapos inabala ko pa.

I looked around the spacious kitchen and smiled to myself. It has high ceilings with wooden floor, white cupboards, and cream table sets. Some of the chairs are made of wood, while the rest matches the cream-colored tables. It's always been my dream to live in a house like this, and I can't believe it's coming true.

Shantel tapped on the marbled countertap, getting my attention. I turned to her.

"Now that she's gone..." she cleared her throat. Tinuktok pa niya ang lamesa ulit bago nagpatuloy sa pagsasalita. "Anong balak mong gawin?"

I went silent for a while. It's never been easy for me, especially when I had Castian. I had to force myself to finish college and earn my degree to heighten the chances of getting accepted into a decent job that will feed my child.

Kaso, nung nasa real world na, saka ko lang na-realize na kung wala akong extraordinary na talent kagaya ni Rigor, basura ang diploma ko. No one wanted an art graduate. In rare cases that they do, it's often for one-time projects. I freelanced for a while but it was never enough to sustain our needs. I was desperate for a job, and I applied almost everything I saw online. Kahit labag sa kalooban ko, tinatanggap ko paminsan-minsan ang perang inaabot sa akin ni Shantel para sa anak ko. She's helped me so much for the past few years—from babysitting Castian, looking for a new house to rent each time I get kicked out due to late bills, referring me to works, and even in the most difficult time of my life.

When I gave birth to Castian, I was holding Shantel's hand and not Rigor's.

In the end, I worked as a private caretaker of an old widow. Her name is Eve. Wala siyang mga anak na pwedeng mag-alaga sa kaniya. She was a very kind woman and allowed me to bring Castian to her room where she was confined.

Nakakahiya dahil sa umpisa, nanlulumo pa ako at siya ang na-assign sa akin. She was on a terminal stage of a breast cancer, and wouldn't last long. That also means my job will be done by the time she's gone.

But for the few months I've gotten to know her, she was the closest to a mother I've ever got. I broke down when she was gone, and was shocked when I found out that she arranged her last will and testament, allowing me to inherit her mansion in Laguna. The rest of her wealth were distributed to different charities.

Now, I am lost once again. I'm very grateful that I don't have to worry about the monthly rent after acquiring this mansion, but this also means that I am once again, unemployed. Castian's vaccination schedule for DTap, IPV, MMR, varicella, and influenza are also fast approaching. Plus, ang dami-dami pang kailangang ayusin sa bahay na ito. It's been vacant for years. Eve was forced to leave it when she found out that she's ill, and I deeply regret that I couldn't take her back here in the remaining days of her life. Not that I'm allowed to. But still, I would do anything for that sweet lady.

"I know some friends who are looking for service crew," Shantel said. "I can refer you, if you don't mind labor jobs."

"Of course, I don't. Aarte pa ba ako eh may binubuhay akong anak?"

"Sayang naman ang degree mo," Kyros commented. "Why don't you try applying to art academies? I'm sure they'd love a teacher assistant or something."

Napaisip din ako sa sinabi niya. Kaso, kung gagawin ko iyon ay hindi naman fit sa schedule. I'll have to be at the school from 9 am to 5 pm. Sinong magbabantay sa anak ko?

"If you let us move here, I can watch over Castian in the morning. Alam mo namang night duty ako." Kyros pressed.

My eyes widened. "Baliw ka ba? Paano ka pa makakapagpahinga n'yan?"

"I can also go here. Instead of Coffee Lib, I can actually study here. I'm not easily distracted, so Castian can play all he wants as long as he's within my line of vision."

My mouth opened to protest, but Shantel beat me to it.

"I have a car, Czarina. Hindi naman aabutin ng isang oras galing La Union papunta dito. Besides, I'm just kidding about moving here. Mom wouldn't let me out of that house." she laughed.

"I'm not kidding." Kyros raised his hand like a student. Kumikislap pa ang mga mata niyang nakatingin sa akin. "Tsaka temporary lang naman. Kapag nakaipon ka na, pwede ka nang mag-hire ng helper. Sa laki ba naman ng bahay na 'to, hindi pwedeng kayo lang dalawa ni Castian."

I bit my lower lip, seriously considering their offers. Kyros is a nurse in Delos Santos Private Hospital, while Shantel attends a law school in La Union. They're both so busy but they're still willing to sacrifice just to help me.

"Ang corny ko pakinggan, pero salamat... hindi ko na ata alam ang gagawin kung wala kayong dalawa."

Shantel laughed. "Syempre naman. Habangbuhay ka na ata naming pepestehin ni Kyros kasi walang ganap sa sarili naming mga buhay."

Kyros cocked a brow. "Luh? May love life ako, no. Ikaw ata ang walang ganap, Shantel."

Umirap sa kaniya si Shantel at nagsalin ulit ng kape sa pangalawang beses. "Love life, my ass. Wag mo nga akong niloloko."

"Meron nga!"

Sa ingay nilang dalawa ay nagising ang anak ko. Castian sleepily slid out of his chair and rubbed his eyes, staring at us. Kaagad ko siyang nilapitan.

"I'm sorry, baby. Nagising ka ba namin? Do you want to sleep again? I can take you to the patio."

Marahan siyang umiling. Namumula pa ang matabang pisngi niya. His tiny lips are dry, so he licked it clumsily and then looked around. His green eyes brightened when he saw Shantel.

"Ninang Shanny!" he beamed and ran towards her. When he was younger, he couldn't properly pronounce her name so Shantel let him call her Shanny. Nakagisnan na niya iyon hanggang sa lumaki. Castian wrapped his tiny arms around Shantel's pencil skirt. She laughed and patted his head.

"Hi, clingy bean. How are you this afternoon?"

Ngumuso ang bata, nag-iisip ng isasagot. His eyes went to Kyros. He made some funny faces to him. Natawa si Castian at nawala na ang focus sa pagsagot sa tanong ni Shantel. Instead, he ran into him and asked for a piggy back ride. I know Kyros is tired from helping me pack and move my things but he still lifted him up in his back and danced around the kitchen. Castian kept on giggling while Shantel is recording a video.

"Isend ko nga 'to sa jowa mo, sabihin ko nakabuntis ka at tinatago mo ang anak mo sa ibang tao."

Kyros opened his mouth and was about to swear but I gave him a look. Instead, he just made a gesture on his neck with his pointing finger and gave her a warning look. Natawa ako sa inakto niya.

The two of them stayed for a bit longer and had dinner with us. Nang matapos ay umalis na si Kyros para sa duty niya habang si Shantel naman ay naghahandang mag-drive pabalik sa La Union. She said she has a class to catch this 8 pm.

I walked her out to the gate, silently listing down the repairs and cleaning that I need to do in this very large garden. It has a white concrete angel fountain in the center but due to years of neglect, the waters are covered in moss and the surface is dirty.

Shantel cleared her throat when she reached her car. Kanina pa siya nakatingin sa akin at alam kong may gusto siyang sabihin. I crossed my arms over my breasts.

"Spill it. Kanina ka pa patingin-tingin sa akin."

She bit her lower lip and looked away, hesitating. She's the only witness of how bad I got when our relationship ended and I found out that I was pregnant. I bet she knew that Rigor is coming home.

"Uuwi na siya ng Pilipinas, Czarina." She cleared her throat. "Si Rigor."

See?

I nodded. Hindi na ako umaktong gulat dahil alam ko din naman. Alam kong tabloid iyong nabasa ko kanina, pero pinaniwalaan ko pa ring uuwi na nga talaga siya. my heart pounded. I'm sure he's just gonna stay with his family in La Union, attend a few of his exhibitions, make appearances in media, and then pack his bags again back to Baltimore where he truly belongs.

He's very successful right now. Letting go of him was indeed a right decision. Kaso nga lang, akala ko ako rin, makakaangat. Sa loob ng limang taon, ni wala akong makitang matinong trabaho. Bigla akong nahiya sa kaniya at sa sarili ko.

"Alam ko..." I said slowly. Alanganin akong ngumiti sa kaniya kahit nababasa kong puro katanungan ang nasa mga mata niya.

"Si Castian..." she trailed off and glanced back at the mansion. Castian is playing with his cat on the doorstep. "Ipapakilala mo ba?"

Kaagad akong umiling. Hell no! call me selfish, but I'm not going to risk the chance of him taking my son away from me. He's powerful enough to do what he wants, and if he decides to take my baby with him to Baltimore, there's nothing I could do. I have no money, no assets, no connections. I am just a helpless mother struggling to provide the best life for her son.

"I see."

Tinanguan ko si Shantel at nagpaalam na. She drove back to La Union while I went back to my son and urge him to the patio where we'll be sleeping again tonight. Kinuha ko ulit ang iPad upang ipagpatuloy ang paghahanap ng trabaho online. While I was browsing, my phone suddenly starts ringing.

"Pamela?" masiglang bati ko. She's one of the staff from the hospital where Eve was confined. Siguro ay aalukin niya ulit ako ng trabaho!

"Czarina, hi." She said in a hurry. "I have a favor to ask."

Pamela then started instructing me about Eve's private collection of paintings. It's supposed to be donated to an exhibit but no one is really available to work on it. Since it's stored in the mansion and I am the new occupant, she asked me if I could "dispose" it for them so they can move on with the papers. Pumayag naman ako. I'd do anything for Eve after all she's done to me and my son.

I was busy job-hunting for the next few days and almost forgot about it. Nung sumunod na linggo, nagtungo ako sa attic kung saan nakatago ang mga paintings. I was in awe with her collections and even recognized some of the artists. She has a few paintings of international artists but most of them are local gems. I am tempted to keep it for myself but out of respect for Eve and her last wishes, I packed it carefully and asked Kyros to babysit Castian while I go to the Wright Art House.

I put on a white eyelet dress with puff sleeves and blocked heels. Kyros offered to take his car because he knows I have a job interview after this. Tinanggap ko naman ang alok niya at nag-drive na nga patungo sa Maynila.

"Kiukok, Cabrera, Edades, and Luz." Mr. Abad said, impressed. "Wow. This is quite the collection. The Wright House rarely get these pieces and you're just donating it?"

I smiled tightly at him then I began to explain how these rare paintings do not belong to me. He nods and smiled warmly.

"I'm so glad you chose us. We are very honored."

Tumango ako at nagpasalamat. He made me sign some papers and then asked someone to take away the paintings. I stare at it one last time and then let go.

"We'll be featuring the paintings in our next exhibition." Mr. Abad nodded with his hand on his chin. "Make sure to come."

"I will."

Paalis na sana ako nang magsalita ulit siya. "Actually... we have an open house today. Do you want to check out our exhibition?"

My eyes sparkled in delight. Even though I'm an art graduate, I rarely attend exhibitions. Most of the time, I can't afford the registration fee and if not, I'm busy watching over Castian. Nang maalala ko ang anak, kinuha ko kaagad ang phone mula sa bulsa. Kyros sent me a photo of Castian sleeping in the hammock with his arms wrapped around his cat.

From: Kyros

ang cute-cute ng anak mo, czarina. pwede ko ba tong iuwi sa manila?

Natawa ako at kaagad na nagtipa ng reply sa kaniya.

To: Kyros

ASA KA.

I put my phone back and smiled widely at Mr. Abad.

"I'd love to check it out..."

He led me through a short hallway then we stepped inside the gallery. There are white divisions to maximise the space and showcase the art. There are some sculptures but most of it are paintings. I think they're featuring abstract today. Mukhang may nagto-tour din ngayong elementary students dahil nakikita ko silang nagkukumpulan at nakasunod sa teacher nila. The rest are some wealthy guests that are planning to buy paintings for decoration.

"I'll be in my office. Enjoy."

I nodded happily and started inspecting the painting one by one. I was easily lost because each painting is more beautiful, more captivating than the last. It's so easy for me to connect to these arts because I know how many grueling hours were spent working it to perfection. Somehow, I could hear myself coming up with a background story in each artist with every painting I stare into.

Inspiration drips from every wall of this gallery, and I was so enthralled that I forgot about the outside world for a while. When I came to the last painting displayed, my heart stopped. I instantly recognize the patterns, the careless strokes and the reckless blending of color. It's heartbreakingly beautiful. Even someone without a soul will feel something upon seeing this work. It's a work of an artist who have mastered the rules and broke it one by one.

It's so powerful that even when this gallery becomes empty and the lights are off, it'll still radiate its own unique power to those who have laid eyes on it.

Nanigas ako sa kinatatayuan, pilit na kinukumbinse ang sariling imposible itong mangyari. I couldn't even dare to drag my gaze down to read the title of the painting and the artist. I don't want to confirm it while my emotions are drowning me just by simply staring at this painting.

My brain failed to acknowledged the heavy footsteps nearing me, the way my heart clenched inside my chest, and the familiar expensive manly scent that filled the room. The scent that could only belong to him.

"It's so rare to find someone who have a deeper relationship with the art than the artist himself, don't you think?"

My lips started trembling. I took in a deep breath and turned to him. Too late, though. Rigor had already stepped closer and broke whatever personal space that was between us. My heart leapt when he casually pressed his palm against the wall next to his painting, caging me inside. He leaned closer to me before his lips curled in a sexy, half smirk.

"Good to see you again, cherié."

Rigor is tall, debonair, and devastating. And he's fucking aware of it. He's watching me intently with a heated look in his eyes that he did not even bother to hide. I gasped when he chuckled and reached for my collarbone, the slightest graze of his fingertips made me tremble down to the core.

I'm so fucked.

-

#HanmariamBFLIIChap1

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 201 20
Merian had been in a three years relationship with her highschool sweetheart. Sa tingin niya wala naman siyang pagkukulang kaya hindi niya maintindih...
40.2K 1.2K 34
Matsona Series #2 Celeste Sierra Matsona, she believed in true love, she believed that if you like or love that person you must take your move for hi...
532K 14.4K 45
Cassette 381 Series #1 For Serenity Hiraya Añasco, being an honor student has always been a piece of cake. She would never understand the word "failu...
82.2K 1.6K 55
Love is home and life, it never fails. Though shall not seek for love. Love will always defy all the odds no matter what happens. So, let love find y...