The Boy Who Lived

By drarrycuddles

A Drarry Story and a 'soulmate' story. Set in an AU in which Minerva rescues Harry from the Dursley's after b... More

Author's Note
Part One
That lot...
Just Harry
Meeting Draco Malfoy
Brewing Trouble
The Worst Birthday
Life is Never Simple
Aunt Marge's Big Mistake
Marauders at Large
Dementors, Boggarts, and other Monsters...
Haunted Snowballs and Full Moons
Sometimes this Place Breeds Trouble
The Triwizard Tournament
He's Come Back!
Order and Rules
Dictatorship and its Downfall
Houses and Homes
The Incident
Illusions
The Malfoy Mask
A Cautious Allegiance
Unexpected Guests at the Manor
A Spontaneous Assembly
The Final Battle
Immediate Aftermath
Panic
The Wizard Courts
The Muggle Courts
Part 2
April Fools
A Little Bit of Parseltongue
Teddy Training
Hagrid Again
The Boy Who Lived Twice
'The Closet Clam'
FIRE! FIRE!
Breath of Life
A Brief Curiosity Unfolds
Reasons for Rogue Magic
Nightmares
A Suspicious Bargain
Self-Humiliation
Stupid Bloody Letter
Therapy
Who do you Trust?
A Day of Errant Magic
Madame Gide Again
Life Never Goes to Plan
Chudley Cannon's Star Keeper
Operation Triple-F
Tears of Laughter, Tears of Pain
'RON WEASLEY HAS QUIT THE GAME!'
Gaining Approval
Time to go Home
Part 3
I'd Like to Stay...
This is Dangerous...
With Immediate Effect
Appeasing House-Elves
Two Experiments
Not Going "Boom!"
Emergency Meeting!
The Gamekeeper and the Librarian
An Ancient and Noble Bloodline
Great-Grandfather Henry
Godric Gryffindor
The Portrait Artist
Behold! The House of Potter
Acceptance and Hope
The Orange Place
Revelations
A Syllabus of Curses
Turmoil
The Goddess Minerva
A Coven of Witches
Calling In Unannounced
The Skin of One's Teeth
The Sword
Appeasing the Ancestors
That Lot!
The Ceremony, of sorts, and some news
Who's Who, According to Luna Lovegood

House-Elves and Stuff

1.1K 95 5
By drarrycuddles

They stood in Willow Ulrich's waiting room and Harry hitched Teddy up onto his hip and Draco stepped into Harry's hold as he reached for Hercules's collar. Harry was wrapped in the smell of his aftershave of vanilla, gingerlily and apples so he pulled Draco closer against him because it was too nice to ignore. It was then that he was ready to Apparate them all to the coordinates that Runchbark had given him. Not that Harry needed the coordinates: Beaumont Hall called him. It was finally time to go home.

Still, he hesitated.

Draco held him tight or perhaps it was the other way around and he couldn't help staring at the other man, wondering why he'd suddenly let his carefully maintained guard down.

You do realise what you do to me, don't you? His own words echoed in his ears. It was true. They both knew it. It was foolish to believe otherwise from the way Harry's wild magic went haywire when they were in the same room.

But then Draco had said, you do realise its reciprocated and the world tilted and realigned with all the pieces in place and Harry knew, he knew Draco was always meant to be in his arms. But despite Draco's words, he still needed confirmation that Draco was alright to be with another man. It was one thing to feel a connection and quite another to consider sex with another man.

Harry felt surprisingly nervous and his hands felt clammy. As they stood so close, just staring at each other awkwardly, Harry didn't fail to notice Draco wet his lips. His own mouth suddenly felt uncomfortably dry but then Hercules gave a single bark as if to chivvy them along and Teddy exclaimed, 'come on, Da!'. Harry ignored the sudden tingling sensation down his side where Draco was pressed against him and they whipped away.

Harry felt the Wards at Beaumont effortlessly admit them both.

Hercules hit the ground running. He always did and he was off, sprinting across the open lawns in front of them, tail wagging wildly, barking ecstatically as if he knew. Teddy, too, wriggled from Harry's arms and ran after the dog, whooping with delight in the evening sunlight. In comparison, Draco stumbled slightly as they landed, perhaps because they were so close together. Harry automatically pulled him in tighter against his body using both hands to stop him falling. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, his nose practically buried into Draco's neck. Even just the heady smell of Draco's aftershave made him feel disorientated. Merlin, he'd never felt anything like it; it wasn't just of a morbid attraction to his former nemesis but actual overwhelming desire that sent shivers coursing through his body and meant Goosebumps raced across his skin. And, Merlin, he could feel Draco's breath on his neck as Draco cautiously returned the embrace and then they were hugging so tightly that Harry never wanted to let go. His stomach was clenching and all it would take would be for him to move slightly and he could capture Draco's lips with his...

It was Teddy who shook Harry from his reverie with his joyful shouts. He was yelling, 'Da, look at this place!' He reluctantly stepped away from Draco who mumbled a thank you and refused to look Harry in the eyes. All Harry could think was that it was a moment missed, though it clearly wasn't the right time with everything that was going on and Teddy demanding their attention.

Harry let out a low whistle. 'Fuck!' he murmured, looking for the first time at the enormous Hall across the vast open lawn in front of them.

'Indeed!' Draco drawled in response as they both stared at the huge turreted sandstone building. It certainly wasn't a Hall in the sense of Malfoy Manor. The low evening sun sent long shadows from huge oak trees across the open lawns and a pale gravel path led them towards the Hall. Sunlight danced in dappled patterns across huge windows, inviting them in.

Harry felt his shoulders drop. Despite the overwhelming size of it all, this was home; not Hogsmeade, or Hogwarts, London or Godric's Hollow-this was what he'd been searching for over the past year.

He couldn't help reaching for Draco's hand, he needed something to ground himself and it felt so natural. Draco didn't resist. 'Where do I even begin?' he muttered.

'Walk around the house,' Draco said with amusement and pulled on his hand slightly to lead him forward. 'That way you can establish your bearings.'

'At least it's only two storeys,' Harry muttered.

'Apart from the towers, though you're alright, they're only three storeys. Of course, Malfoy Manor had three floors throughout, plus the four towers, the basement and attics, so your little castle is quite shabby in comparison.'

'I have eight towers,' Harry quipped. 'Hexagonal turrets, not boring square towers, far more impressive...' and they nudged each other playfully, finding comfort in the familiar territory for the first time since the strange 'hug' moment.

They wandered slowly around the huge building in an anti-clockwise direction with Teddy and Hercules rushing back and forth and generally exhausting themselves.

It turned out the Hall was built in the shape of an 'H' which seemed fairly easy to navigate, he hoped.

As they reached the first gap in the 'H' between the east and north wings, they found a formal courtyard garden with low privet hedges planted in complex symmetrical patterns around beds full of colourful roses. Stone paths led to a raised fish pond in the middle and Teddy laid along the edge on his stomach with his fingers dangling in the clear water as he teased huge goldfish that darted around from beneath lily pads.

'It's like something out of a book,' whispered Harry and Draco smiled.

Of course, Harry hadn't seen Malfoy Manor at its best when the formal gardens had once been tended for with his grandfather's love and passion. The formal gardens there were far bigger than this courtyard but they'd long since gone to wrack and ruin under his father's custodian duty. Draco didn't say anything but he felt a sudden pang of sadness for his former home and the neglect because of his father's focus on Dark Magic and Voldemort.

When they looked up at the central part of the house, Draco teased, 'I'm afraid you're going to have to suck it up because the main part of the building is clearly four storeys.'

Harry stared up at the central building above the courtyard. 'Didn't Runchbark say something about this being the original part built by Ralston Potter or something?'

'His father built it. Ralston added the four corner turrets. Abraham added the wings and Digby added the Orangery.'

'You paid better attention than I did.'

'And you're supposed to be the Auror!'

'I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. When she mentioned wings being added, I didn't quite envisage the four wings and turrets making it 'H' shaped.' Harry felt in awe of the size of it all and he found it rather ridiculous.

'There's a bloody lake!' Harry exclaimed as they reached the north-west side of the Hall through the landscaped gardens. 'TEDDY! DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER!'

'Can we go swimming in it?' yelled Teddy.

'Maybe another time,' called Harry but there was clearly a boathouse and a jetty that ran out into the water that looked perfect for jumping off. He wondered if his father had done just that. 'Don't go on the jetty without me, it might not be safe!'

Draco smirked at Harry's over-protectiveness, despite being slightly jealous because they hadn't had a lake at Malfoy Manor and he thought he might have liked that when he was growing up. Not that his father would have allowed such care-free pursuits like wild swimming.

Draco had to admit that he preferred the landscaped gardens and how the pale gravel paths kept leading onwards, inviting exploration, opening up into vistas of larger landscaped parkland. It was very impressive but also surprisingly relaxed and welcoming. He wasn't surprised that Teddy just kept leading them forward to the next thing to find.

'There's a statue of a fancy lady,' shouted Teddy, pointing to statue that was stood amongst plants and trees that bordered a wall.

Harry groaned lightly, 'Minerva, Roman Goddess of Wisdom and War...'

'I can't escape your mother, can I?' said Draco, rolling his eyes.

'She's not a bad mum to have.'

Draco couldn't disagree.

They meandered around the north-west side of the building past a walled stableyard with a huge gated archway into it between the livery buildings. Teddy ran in and reported back that there was a big door into the hall and a big room with lots of tall windows and two separate long buildings.

'For horses, I think,' Teddy announced. 'Or cars.'

As they reached the courtyard in the other gap of the 'H', Draco said, 'ah, it looks like there's a basement too. That'll probably hold the kitchens, utilities and storage areas, plus the House-Elves quarters.'

'Shut up!' Harry grumbled, partly because it was apparent Draco was right and when they got closer, they could see low-level windows at ground level that took light into basement.

'Just the five storeys then,' Draco mocked.

Harry thought it was ridiculous; no one needed a house this size. It was as bad as being titled.

By the time they got around to the south-west courtyard, they had walked across large open lawns, through formal and landscaped gardens, found the walled stableyard and passed two courtyards between the wings. They'd also seen, from a distance: parkland, agricultural land, and a walled-garden, as well as the lake and boathouse. Draco found he was envious of the huge open spaces that circled three-sides the building. Unlike the dark and overbearing gardens around Malfoy Manor, the huge house had an open and welcoming aspect as it was approached by a long sweeping gravel driveway.

'I never understood why Wizarding Houses had driveways,' Draco said. 'We've always used the Floo network or Apparated, though Pansy says Grandma Parkinson still has stables and coaches... I wonder if you've got those in your stableyard buildings.' And he added in an affected posh drawl, 'we could enjoy a ride out tomorrow morning to survey your lands, Lord Potter, perhaps you could ask the stable boys to prepare a couple of your fastest thoroughbreds...'

'Shut up!' Harry muttered again.

They stopped at the threshold of the gated-entrance into second courtyard, which was clearly the main entrance to Beaumont Hall with its gravel frontage and huge stone urns with topiary privets.

'You could fit Minnie's house in this courtyard alone. The door is about as big as my old bedroom... TEDDY! HERCULES!' Harry shouted and the two tearaways came screeching across the gravel driveway to join them.

'Da! This place is so great,' Teddy enthused. 'Are we going to live here?'

'Maybe, Champ,' said Harry doubtfully. 'I really don't know.'

Draco squeezed Harry's hand reassuringly, they'd not let go of each other and although it had taken Draco by surprise, it felt natural and Draco felt like he was calming Harry. He certainly felt reluctant to be the first to let go now that Harry had made the move. Now that they'd said. He wondered how they would make the next move because when Harry suddenly hugged him, he simply didn't want to let go; it felt so right to envelope the other man in his arms. He couldn't help thinking about it as they'd walked around the gardens, he kept trying to find the right moment to speak aloud the words that taunted his lips. But it was never quite the right time and, really, Draco knew the focus was on Beaumont Hall for the time being. They would find the right moment soon, though he wasn't sure if he had the patience to wait much longer before he simply launched himself at Harry.

He took a deep breath and squeezed Harry's hand reassuringly. And then teased, 'make sure you use magic to open the doors, I'm not sure if you've got any jolly Santa's elves here to fix broken door handles...'

In fact, they were met by five house elves at the enormous front door. They all wore clothes, which pleased both men. It was a sage-green livery with a golden phoenix crest on the chest.

'Master Potter!' The first greeted them. 'We is being so pleased that you is here. We is waiting for you with excitement. We is watching you and Master Malfoy inspecting the gardens, we hope you is both finding them satisfactory.'

Draco could imagine them rushing from window to window around the Hall, watching and assessing the strange foursome.

The elf didn't wait for an answer. 'I is Ossy, this is being Letty, Ammy, Tilly, and Carls. We is proud to be looking after the Potter home always as our mothers and fathers do too. We is welcoming you to Beaumont with Master Malfoy and Master Teddy and Mr Hercules.' They all bowed. 'Would you be liking to come in and we is giving you a tour of inside your new home, Master Potter?'

'Er,' Harry fumbled, utterly stunned, his face blank and showing how overwhelmed he was.

'That's most kind, Ossy,' Draco said. 'Come on, Harry.' He still held Harry's hand as they followed Ossy and Letty through a small entrance hall and into a huge room at the centre of the house

'This is being the main hall,' Letty announced proudly.

It opened up to two storeys with a gallery around the first floor which looked down onto a huge oak table that could probably seat at least thirty people. It smelt of beeswax and old books and log fires and Harry immediately felt at home.

He still whispered, 'don't touch anything, Teddy,' because it was unbelievable that this was all his and it was natural to think he didn't want to get in trouble for anything being damaged.

'It is being fine, Master Potter. It is being good to have a child in the house and laughter and life. This is a place of life, Master Potter. The Potters have always been the same. This is not a silent house where wizards and witches stand on ceremony.'

Harry sighed in relief. And then grimaced because the first thing Teddy ran towards and touched was a lone suit of armour standing in the corner of the room. Teddy yelped and jumped back when the Mace that the suit held fell to the floor with a loud thud and a clutter of chains.

'That is being Master Stirling's armour from when he is helping the Muggles during the Battle of Agincourt,' said Ossy, retrieving the Mace and carefully placing it back in the waiting gauntlet. It had left several dents in the ancient wooden floor from its spikes.

'Oh,' said Harry and he muttered in Draco's ear, 'if I stay, that goes.'

'Perhaps you could keep it in the guest wing,' said Draco as it twisted its helmet to look at them in stubborn defiance; that movement alone suggested Harry would have a fight on his hands. Draco wasn't sure that Harry, even with his rogue magic, would come out on top in a fight with a magical suit of armour wielding a Mace. Though knowing the stubborn Gryffindor, he'd give it a bloody good go. 'You could use it to frighten your guests when they're stumbling to find the bathroom in the middle of the night. Or by the front door. The suits of armour joined the battle at Hogwarts and you could get your mum to teach you that spell, in case you're ever invaded.'

'I hope no one is intending to launch an attack on my home,' said Harry indignantly.

'There is being another one... somewhere, belonging to Master Ralston,' said Ossy sadly. 'But it is currently being in pieces and bits lost in one of the rooms.'

Draco was surprised, it was unusual for House-elves to lose anything in a house, especially something as significant as a suit of armour.

'Perhaps, Master Potter,' said Ammy timidly, 'I is allowed to take Master Teddy around the house so he can explore at his own pace and we can find him a bedroom he would like to choose as his own. I will make sure it is being near the master bedroom.'

'Great idea, thank you, Ammy. Teddy, would you like that?' Though he wasn't exactly sure if they'd be staying yet.

The boy nodded in excitement and grabbed the young elf's hand, pulling her towards a great stone spiralling staircase that looked as if it was in one of the four main turrets.

Draco stood on the spot, turning this way and that. He was surprised how welcoming the hall was, maybe because the gallery walls were lined with bookshelves between large airy windows. It reminded him of some of the many aspects of Hogwarts with its oak panelling and stone staircases. It was far cosier than Malfoy Manor had ever been despite its size.

'It's a fucking castle, my castle...' Harry whispered and he almost laughed. 'It's absurd...' He squeezed Draco's hand, moving a little closer. 'I can feel it welcoming me, it feels like a wave of warmth washing over me and filling me...' he spoke in awe and Draco wanted to pull him even closer. He wanted to wrap his arms around Harry's waist and rest his chin on his shoulder and hold him tight.

'From here we is going into any of the wings, you should know that under the breakfast room in the south wing is the kitchens, that is being where I and Ammy is working. The basements is mostly working areas and the House-Elves living. We is all living there even though Tilly and Carls is working in the gardens. Ossy in charge of the house. There is other House-Elves if sirs is needing us but if you is asking for one of us first then we is helping you, Master Potter.'

'You must call me Harry and please can I come to the kitchens and meet the other Elves, Letty?' Harry asked. 'I don't need to see all the basements at the moment, just enough to get my bearings.'

And so they were taken around Beaumont Hall. Harry kept unconsciously reaching for Draco's hand if ever they let go of one another. Some rooms were comfortably furnished, mostly in the east or south wings and main part of the hall. Others were packed with belongings which Draco assumed to belong to one of Harry's forebears. The rooms packed with boxes and furniture and other items certainly explained why there was a missing suit of armour somewhere.

'I feel lost already,' Harry muttered. 'And it's a horrible mess. And there's too much stuff everywhere. And it all needs redecorating.'

Draco could almost sense the control it was taking for Harry not to panic about the disorder everywhere. Only a few of the main reception rooms seemed useable without belongings crammed into them.

Draco wondered if he'd ever find his way around, there seemed a ridiculously huge number of bedrooms, even compared to the Manor, and the wings felt confusing from inside the house while the spiral staircases seemed to throw one in dizzying directions. At least they didn't move, like at Hogwarts.

They eventually stopped in a large homely sitting room with a open fireplace in the south wing. He watched Harry discard his long work coat, which Ossy immediately whisked away to hang up somewhere. He wondered if the Hall was frighteningly cold in the winter time. It made him think, rather nostalgically, of the Slytherin common room and he decided nowhere could be as cold as there in winter.

Draco smirked at the décor and said, 'how bloody Gryffindorish.'

They were still stood unconsciously close to one another again and Draco was aware that Harry was feeling clingy. It was funny how easily he picked up on these things now.

'The Potters is always being Gryffindors,' said Letty, slightly too eagerly.

'But homely,' Harry offered, almost hopefully.

The evening sun that was pouring through the west-facings windows giving his olive skin a golden glow and Draco wanted to touch his cheek where it was highlighted by the light.

'A damn sight more than the Manor,' Draco said with fervour. 'And considerably warmer than the Slytherin common room.'

It was then that Teddy and Ammy joined them.

'Is this one of the towers?' Teddy asked.

'Yes, Master Teddy, the south tower' said Ammy. 'Each of the main rooms in the wings is opening into the turrets, they is always the odd-shaped rooms, just like the room you is choosing upstairs.' The House-Elf smiled at the young boy as he threw himself on the floor in front of the hearth and began rolling around with Hercules, tousling the patient dog's ears.

'Teddy, be gentle,' Harry warned. 'Have you chosen a bedroom in one of the turrets?'

'Da,' he looked at Harry, his brown eyes gleaming and his hair going an excited tint of turquoise. 'I'm going to sleep in the room next to you and you've got a tower too. And Da, guess what?'

'What?'

'It was my dad's room whenever he came to visit your dad at the castle.'

Harry's heart jolted as such a close connection. He hadn't thought of his father living in the Hall as a boy or Remus or Sirius or even Peter Pettigrew staying.

'Perhaps we is getting you some dinner now?' Letty offered hopefully. 'Would you like to be eating in the Great Hall?'

'Er, no,' Harry said. 'I think it's a bit grand. Maybe the Breakfast Room?'

'Of course, Master Harry?'

'Thank you.'

'And we is having some food already in for Mr Hercules in preparation. And Iolaus and Otrera, when they is arriving too.'

'Oh, thank you. It's just "Hercules".'

'No, sir, it is "Mr Hercules", just as young Master Sirius did have insisted on being Mr Padfoot.'

'You knew Sirius?'

'Of course, Master Harry. He is visiting Master James and coming to stay here many times with young Mr Remus before he is eventually moving in with Mistress Euphemia and Master Fleamont as another son. We is all loving Master Sirius very much, he is very funny with the House-Elves and very kind. I wish to say, we never is believing that Master Sirius is betraying Master James and pretty Lily.' Ossy bowed slightly, the sadness palpable.

'No, no, he didn't betray them. It was Peter...'

'Yes, we is knowing now. Poor Master Sirius, all that time he is being in prison but it is being good he is Mr Padfoot too.'

Harry was taken aback, uncertain how to deal with the knowledge that he had new sources who could tell him a wealth of information about his family, his parents, and Sirius and Remus too. It was too overwhelming to deal with despite the inundation of hope and joy that came with the knowledge that he would learn more about them. He immediately wanted to hear more of Sirius, of why he had moved in. It was a story no one had told him though he guessed it had something to do with Walburga Black disowning her oldest son. Harry suddenly wondered what had prompted the move in the end. 'Perhaps, another time, you could tell me all about them all. I would like to hear all your stories.'

'Of course, Master Harry, Ossy and Letty is being delighted to tell you. I is going to the kitchens now.' And Letty disappeared with a small crack. It made Harry smile, he knew that Kreacher was unreasonably cantankerous at times and had long since discovered that House-Elves didn't need to Disapparate loudly. The quiet noise, rather than absolute silence, was politeness so they didn't creep up on their Masters and catch them unawares. Kreacher often added extra volume to scare the living daylights out Harry when the mood took him, which was most of the time.

Ossy cleared his throat discreetly. 'Master Harry, it is being tradition, sirs, that on the new Master Potter's first night as Duke here they is always staying and we is celebrating with champagne. Would you be liking a glass now?'

Harry looked at Draco who shrugged, clearly not taken aback by the assumption that they'd be staying at the Hall or the offer of champagne. So, he nodded and there was another slight 'crack' as Ossy disappeared only to reappear moments later with a bottle of champagne on a silver tray with two flutes.

'We is glad you is not alone, this is being a very good bottle to be sharing.' He bowed slightly and showed Harry the label.

'Perhaps, Draco, do you know these things better than me?'

'Of course, Master Harry.'

The elf turned to Draco whose eyes widened and he stuttered, 'that would be very nice, thank you.' He whispered in Harry's ear, 'this is a bloody good label, Potter. You absolute heathen.'

'It's all very formal and polite,' Harry said with an embarrassed laugh when Ossy had left them with two glasses of champagne and the bottle on a tray. 'I feel uncouth wearing jeans and t-shirt...'

Draco thought Harry looked edible in his black jeans and black t-shirt.

'It's your house, you wear what you want,' he said matter-of-factly. 'It's always up to you to set the tone with what you're comfortable with and what you think with make others feel comfortable. Think of my father, always in his formal robes. That said it all, all about power and superiority. And that was how we lived. There is nothing to stop you living in the McGonagall tartan kilt or floating around like Uncle Sev for 360 days of the year, if that's what you really want.'

'I'll stick to jeans, thanks,' Harry said with a smile. 'Though I quite fancy a kilt!'

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 8.3K 48
Book One, but can be read as a stand alone Draco Malfoy had everything. The money, the name, any toys or clothes he wanted. Sure his parents were a l...
426K 15K 45
READ THIS!!! [completed] *currently re writing and fixing mistakes that my 11 year old self made* This is a cuteness over load of a baby Draco story...
92.6K 3.5K 50
In a world where everyone is "colorblind" until they find their soulmate, two girls find love in a horrifying way. (I really suck at describing thin...
20 0 9
( Takes place during the span of all 7 books. AU.) Draco Malfoy had his life planned out for him since his birth; He knew what was expected of him, w...