Give Me a Break (Discontinued...

By maehwa_blossom

Kang Minju is a normal human being doing normal things but gets transferred into a different world with magic... More

Profile Edited 7/15/2021
Refrences on What Minju Would Wear
Intro
Prologue Chapter 1
Prologue Chapter 2
Prologue Chapter 3
Prologue Chapter 4
Minju's Thoughts
Coming out to the ADeuce combo
Episode 1-1
Episode 1-2
Episode 1-3
Episode 1-4
Episode 1-5
Coming out to Heartslabyul
Minju's Weekend
Episode 2-1
Minju's Thoughts + Nicknames
NRC Group chat
Episode 2-3
Episode 2-4
I somewhat drew my OC
Episode 2-5
Episode 2-6
Coming Out To Everyone
Minju's Little Hobby
Going on Hiatus *please read*
*Discontinued* + New story announcement

Episode 2-2

20 0 0
By maehwa_blossom

(A/N: This first part is going to be the dorm heads talking so if you don't want to read you can skip to the next video.)

"Now then, I would like to begin the Prefects' meeting in relation to the Magical Shift Tournament that will take place in October. Firstly, Prefect Ashengrotto of Octavinelle has an announcement as the President of the Magical Shift Management Committee," said Crowley.

"I am Azul Ashengrotto of the Management Committee. A pleasure to be here with you all today. Now then, I would like to talk about the pop-up stalls that will be positioned around the Colosseum. All slots for outside business and club businesses have been filled."

"Oh, that's nice! Looks like it's gonna be bustling!" said Kalim.

"All the invitations for each nation's royal families have also been sent. The ticket-selling for the masses is proceeding smoothly as well. And just like every year, the television crews that will be helping with the broadcast have all been arranged as well."

"The whole world will be watching, after all, ~ Before I became a student here, I was always excited about receiving the invitation for the tournament~ Ah, you're a royal too so you got invitations, right, Leona~? We've passed by each other in the stadium a lot when we were kids, remember~?" said Kalim.

"Dunno... And don't care," said Leona.

"I have to perfect the ultra-vision supported base make-up for this year's tournament. It is a very physical sport, so I need to fix my make-up a lot," said Vil.

"(sighs) Only Pomefiore will go as far as to ask for a time-out just to fix their make-up," said Riddle.

"Why's everyone so gung-ho about showing their faces for a competition? Just thinking about it's enough to make me puke..." said Iida through a screen.

"Ahem! Everyone, please keep quiet," said Azul.

"Ah, sorry 'bout that~," said Kalim.

"Each dorm should submit a file of all their registered players for the tournament. If you happen to be even one day late with the registration..." said Azul.

"You are, of course, disqualified, correct?" said Riddle.

"Oh, no. They will be subject to a separate charging fee. I guess you could call it a special fare for being late?"

"What–? Personally, I think that creating rules to exempt someone is not a good idea."

"Ahaha! I'd be grateful for it though~!" said Kalim.

"You boys, you're getting off-topic now. Now then, let's talk about the competition details... I have a proposal." said Crowley.

"Proposal?" said Riddle.

"For this tournament... I was thinking of having Diasomnia's Prefect, Malleus Draconia, become a member of the Hall of Fame so as he should only make a special appearance," said Crowley.

"Eh?!" said Kalim.

"What do you mean?" said Leona.

"Ever since Draconia entered the school, all the dorms that have competed against Diasomnia have faced utter defeat without even so much as scoring a point. They've always scored more than 100 points in any tournament. And 9% of those are scored by him alone."

"True. The last time we competed against them, we couldn't even lift a finger!" said Kalim.

"His talents totally disrupt the game's balance. It's kinda unfair," said Iida.

"This tournament is not merely made for amusement. The whole world will be paying attention in search of a talented new magician. Even more so, Diasomnia has managed to win every single competition without even displaying magic. I guess you could call it a desperate measure."

"Ah, I get it. I get tired when I fight strong enemies, too," said Iida.

"So, I would like to ask the opinion of Savanaclaw Dorm. Since you have the most number of players who are aiming to be in the professional league. Your dorm has never fallen behind third place in any of the tournaments ever since the school was founded. And yet... For the past two years, you have only managed to play in the first game against Diasomnia. Not to mention, you never even won. You will not be able to make an impression on the professional board this way. Your team's future is at stake, too."

"... Are you saying that we'll be losing without even putting up a fight this year, too?" said Leona.

"I'm not saying this because I want to either. In any case, I already have Draconia's unspoken consent regarding the matter. All I need is to hear everyone's opinion."

"Hah! You're underestimating us. Listen here, Teach. I hate being told "You'll never become number one!" the most, got it?"

"That's not what I'm saying..."

"Then what're you trying to say? In any case, Magift doesn't rely on just the body. It's important to think, too, right?"

"I don't think like I can win against Malleus in that department either," said Kalim.

"Yeah, probably. But I'm different from you. No one can win against that guy when it comes to power, but there are other methods available."

"Oh-ho?" said Azul.

"The King of Beasts managed to become king because of effort and wisdom. Use your heads and think of a way to win against that monster, too! If you manage to win, the whole world might just praise you, too. Are you really going to let this chance get away?"

"So you do make great points from time to time. I was about to say that the Headmaster's suggestion was nonsense, too. Excluding the people with talent is considered an unconscious bias. Don't you think it's similar to being unconsciously prejudiced? And I disagree with that notion." said Vil.

"I agree with Vil-senpai's opinion. And as a fellow magician, I find it unsightly to run away before even trying," said Riddle.

"That hotshot's disappointed face will be broadcast internationally. Just imagining it's enough to make you sing your praises already, right?" said Leona.

"Fufu. That sounds like a good way to amass ratings," said Azul.

"Yup, yup. I don't wanna be left out, too~" said Kalim.

"Eh? What's going on? I'm the only one who thinks he should be in the Hall of Fame?" said Iida.

"You heard us, Teach. We're not hearing any more of that Hall of Fame crap," said Leona.

"Goodness me... I understand. However, he shall be inducted next year as my condition for letting him compete this year."

"Do what you want."

"Now then, that is all for today's meeting. Everyone, please do not forget to turn in your registrations. Though personally, I wouldn't mind if you were late... Fufufu." said Azul.

"By the way... Did you all forget to invite Malleus to today's Prefect meeting again?" said Vil.

"Ah...!" Everyone said.

"The try-outs for the Magical Shift Tournament is soon, right?" said a Heartslabyul student.

"Have you thought of a magical exhibition that will appeal to the Prefect yet?" said another.

"Of course! When I showed it to Professor Crewel the other day, he was so amazed! I'm excited to show it to Prefect Ro—Wha–!?? (groans) That hurt..."

"H-hey, what happened!? You suddenly jumped from the stairs!"

"My leg... It's hurt...!"

"What?! Come on, I'll take you to the infirmary first...!"

"Shishishishishi~,♪" said a voice.

(She/her)

"Ah... I can't feel motivated at all... I can't even participate in the Tournament." said Grim.

"I won't help you but you can keep trying as long as you don't cause a mess."

"What's wrong, Grim boy? You haven't been energetic at all lately." said ghost a.

"He's sulking 'cause he can't join the Magical Shift Tournament~ Hihihihi!" said ghost b.

"If you want to try playing so badly, we can be your opponents. Back when I played 90 years ago, I was quite the catch and everyone cheered for me!" said ghost c.

"It's impossible without 7 players, right?" said Grim.

"It doesn't matter if it's not an official match. Come on, let's go." said ghost a.

"You don't have to mind the rules too much for now. For now, just protect the disc and try to score a goal." said ghost c.

"Alright! I'm gonna defeat all of you!"

"But everyone here will be trying to attack you with magic to steal the disc. Hihihi!" said ghost b.

"Alright, game start!" said ghost a.

"Have fun Grim I'm going to eat the kimchee I made, but do I have rice?"

"Alright! I'll shoot this disc straight to the goal!"

"Boo!" said ghost b.

"Wh-wh-wh-what are you doing!?"

"Hihi! I'm trying to get in the way of the opponent's attack, of course!"

"That's not even magic!!"

Minju watched them play while she was sitting on the ground eating her kimchee. Sadly there was nothing to eat it with so after a few pieces she put the container away.

"Trying to shoot the disc's so difficult!!"

"Ihihihihi! You're not fit to join the tournament at this rate~" said ghost b.

"No, no. He's done pretty well for a first-timer." said ghost c.

"Hmph! I'm gifted, yanno! I promise you I'm gonna be a respected player!"

"Grim have you ever tried to control your flames like make them into something or make the move how you want?" said Minju.

"No, I just make fire."

"You should try and work on that then you could probably have the disk without holding it."

"Oh, are you playing some Magical Shift?" Crowley chimed in.

"Ugh... The source of my dread is here..." said Grim.

"It looks like you're getting along well with the dorm ghosts. How magnificent~"

"We're not really friends, yanno! So, what'd you come here for?"

"I came here to ask you for a favor. Talking outside won't do, so let us head in."

"Grim that's rude we are friends," Minju said.

"What favor do you want? We're not your errand boys anymore, yanno?"

"Oh? Have I not told you that I haven't guaranteed your permanent necessities for living here yet? Manual work is a very wonderful thing, Grim and Minju."

"That's fine because I was starting to think the bottom of the sea is a good place to live if I get kicked out of here," said Minju

"Ahem. Then, let me start again. Actually, there has been an increasingly concerning amount of people being injured in accidents around the school. I want you to please investigate this matter."

"People getting injured?" Grim asked.

"Indeed. Falling from stairs, getting scalded by boiling water, etc... The reasons vary, but the fact that more people keep visiting the infirmary due to accidents still stands. There was another incident by the staircase yesterday. That makes him the 10th victim. Unfortunately, there were very few witnesses..."

"Aren't they just being clumsy?"

"The Magical Shift Tournament is nearing and it's true that students are getting restless. Even so, the number of accidents compared to last year's is too much. Even more, all the people that were injured were students who were the top candidates for the Magical Shift Tournament."

"Hm..."

"The person or the group of people are doing this because they want to have an advantage in Magift is my guess. It's probably someone unique magic."

"Excellent deduction, Minju. However, we have no evidence to suggest otherwise. All the accidents happened with at least one witness. And all those who fall, victim, all say the same thing. None of the ones injured were acting differently before."

"Then, that means they were just being clumsy. Alright, solved~"

"Oh my, Grim. You're being hasty, aren't you?"

"I mean, this doesn't concern me! I won't even be able to participate in the competition either way. I don't care what happens to the tournament now."

"Is that so...? And here I went all the way to prepare a special reward for you..."

"Hah! I'm not falling for that again! I won't cooperate if you don't give me at least a hundred canned tunas."

"Then what about... allowing you to participate in the Magical Shift Tournament?"

"EH!?"

"Should you manage to solve the case, I will allow your dorm special rights to participate in this year's tournament. How about that? Oh, how very kind of me, is it not~?"

"Wha—What...?!"

"The winner of the tournament will be shown on TV internationally. It's a chance to be showered with praise and applause~ You might even get the chance to announce what a great newcomer you will be~!"

"Th-this is bad... I'm getting lured in by the image alone...!"

"However, you said you won't be cooperating, did you not? How unfortunate. Let's pretend I didn't say anything about the matter."

"Wait a second! I'll do it! I'll help out!"

"Oh, my? You will?"

"If you're gonna let me in the tournament, then it's obviously a yes! Right, Minju?"

"Ok, but you guys shut up, Crowley give me the student's names and their dorm. Wait but don't you need 7 players."

"Well, as the Headmaster, I will perform a very magical miracle and do something about the remaining five players."

"Hey, Minju. Don't worry 'bout the small things for now! Let's go and take statements, hurry!"

"I'll be counting on the both of you."

"Give me the student's name and their dorms please I'm not going to ask again."

"A yes, here."

Minju was looking at the dorms on the sheet of paper. Minju thought, there's no Savanaclaw students it's probably them, if it's them oh well.

"I heard that the injured people are all here. We're coming in!" said Grim.

"Let's start with Heartslabyul."

"Who're you guys?" said the dorm student.

"Oh! They're from Ramshackle Dorm. Remember, they were at the Unbirthday Party?"

"Oh~! Looks like we're plenty famous, too!"

"Ok let's get over with this, tell me about the incident and what happened."

"I don't really get what happened either. I was walking while talking with this guy... And before I noticed it, I fell down the stairs."

"Yeah... It's kinda different from him just tripping or slipping..."

"It's like my body just floated and moved on its own... I can't really explain it well..."

"Okay, I see," said Grim.

"Thanks, I guess," Minju said.

Minju and Grim went to a classroom to see the injured Pomefiore student.

"Hey, you got injured the other day, right? Tell us what happened." Grim said.

"I'm sorry about him but could you tell us what had happened when you got injured? Please." Minju said while putting on her kind face.

"Who in the world are you guys?"

"His feelings are hurt right now because he trained so hard for the Tournament but now he can't even participate!"

"How insensitive of you two! You come here asking without even a shred of sympathy! I challenge you! Pick up that glove and fight!"

"Insensitive, excuse me! I even changed my voice to sound kind and sympathetic, yet your injured feeling are getting in the way. You could have tried to be more kind like how I tried to have sympathy but you cared about your pride and how no one will know who you are." Minju said.

"Y-yes s-sorry. I'll tell you what happened."

"It happened in the laboratory. The cauldron he was using to prepare some potions suddenly slipped from his hands and it caused an uproar in the classroom! To top it off, the potion spilled all over that even the desk was so soaked! I was so surprised, goodness...!"

"Are you going to narrate everything!?"

"I see, I see," Grim said.

"Thank you, we will be taking our leave now," Minju said while gritting their teeth.

In Ramshackle.

"Yanno... For some reason, they all just sound like they're clumsy. Maybe we're overthinking the situation, yanno? Hm? Who's that?"

"Heya! Oh, Grim's feeling better?" said, Ace.

"Oh, it's just you. I'm busy right now, so I have no time to play with you."

"Busy? You're not done with your homework yet?"

Minju explained what was going on and what had happened.

"Oh... Investigating all those accidents, huh."

"But while we were asking them questions, all I could think of was that they were being clumsy or they weren't paying attention."

"It's probably some dorm using an underhand tactic to win."

"Ace, there's a problem!" Deuce said while barging in.

"Huh? What're you panicking about?"

"Clover-senpai fell down the stairs and was injured...!"

"Don't tell me...! Even that lanky glasses Trey was hurt!?"

"Was he trying to save someone because Trey's pretty sturdy and not clumsy?"

"True... Trey-senpai doesn't give off that vibe..."

"Let's go ask him what happened!" said Grim.

"Pardon the intrusion," said Ace.

"Clover-senpai, are you okay?" Deuce said.

"Hey, Glasses! We came here to check on you!" Deuce said.

"Trey are you ok?" Minju asked.

"Oh, it's the A-Deuce combi~ You even brought Grim and Minju-chan with you~"

"Hello~ Wait, what's with the "A-Deuce" thing, Cater-senpai?" said Ace.

"Eh? You both have "-ce" at the end of your names, so I just combined them~"

"Please call us by our complete names!" said Deuce.

"More importantly, what exactly happened to Trey-senpai?" Ace said.

"Ah, I missed a step on the stairs. I tried to be cautious during the fall, but my right leg ended up getting the worse of it. I'll have to be in crutches for a while."

"Eh–!? Isn't that kind of bad?" Deuce said.

"It looks like I won't be able to participate in this year's Magift Tournament."

"I thought of letting it slide if it was just a small injury, but... Here, have some canned tuna as a get-well present. Get better soon, 'kay, Glasses?

"Haha, thank you."

"Geez, give me a break. It's already tough without our star player Trey, and now we've gotta re-do the player selection," said Cater.

"Oh!? Player selection!?" said the A-Deuce combo.

"Really, now. What are you all doing gathered in an injured person's room?" said Riddle as he came in.

"Ah–!! It's the irritable Riddle!" said Grim.

"Irritable, you say? I won't get mad if you don't break the rules. Trey, how's your condition? Is there something you want to drink or eat?"

"You don't have to be so worried. I told you, I'm feeling okay."

"But... You got injured because of me and..."

"What do you mean?" Ace asked.

"I had to go to the 3rd years' classroom because I had business with them. But then..."

At the stairway in a flashback.

"I'll be a little late, but go on ahead and practice for the Magical Shift Tournament."

"Got it."

"I'll leave it to you, then. Wh-whoa–!!"

"Riddle, watch out!"

End of flashback.

"He covered for me when I fell down the stairs and he got injured himself..."

"I think you'll have been able to break your fall, you know? I covered for you on my own, so don't worry about it."

"Still..."

"(whispering) Minju, this is like..." Ace said.

"(whispering) They're a married couple, wait forget I said that but it's suspicious."

"Come on, Riddle-kun~ No need to be so gloomy! I feel bad about Trey-Kun's injury, but we just have to do his best in his place~" Cater said.

"Y-yeah, you're right."

"Come on, let's give the injured person a chance to rest. Disperse, disperse~"

In the lounge

"So, Cater. There's something you couldn't say in front of Trey, isn't there?"

"As expected. You're quick on the uptake, Riddle-kun~ You know something about why Trey-Kun got injured, don't you, Minju-chan?"

"Well it's not why Trey got injured, the topic should be about how Riddle was about to get injured." and Minju explained everything that was going on.

"I see... The Headmaster asked that from you, huh..." said Riddle.

"See? I knew that Grimmy won't be visiting without a reason," said Cater.

"Actually, I thought that something was amiss, too, so I asked Cater to gather some information."

"And then we found out that the only targeted people are the top players like Riddle-Kun or Trey-Kun."

"It is true that I hadn't slipped nor had someone pushed me from behind that day. However... I don't know how to explain it, but it felt like my body just moved around on its own."

"The other guys who got hurt said the same thing, too," Grim said.

"I think it would be a good idea to narrow our list down to the tournament players," Riddle said.

"I think it's a dorm doing this because from what I figured out is that almost all of the dorms were injured except Savanaclaw, so to narrow it down could we try and focus on Savanaclaw," said Minju.

"You mean to say that they're injuring strong players so that they'll have fewer rivals for the Magical Shift Tournament?"

"The evidence is not concrete but yeah."

"It's a competition that will be viewed worldwide. The tournament is connected to a guaranteed way to secure one's future, so it's not unthinkable that people will use any means necessary to win." Riddle said.

"Hm... Still, it's very strange. It's not like you were pushed by some kind of wind magic, right?" said Cater.

"I didn't feel any sort of impact at all."

"It seems like there were some who got injured during lessons, too. I wonder what's going on..."

"Oh!? You'll help us?! What're you scheming...? Specially you, Cater!" Grim said.

Minju was thinking about what all the other victims said and what Riddle also said about not feeling impact and how their body's just moved.

"You sure have a bad rep of me, huh~ Our dorm-mate got hurt, so it's natural to help, right~?"

"If that's the case, we'll lend a hand, too," said Ace.

"We'll be avenging Clover-senpai!"

"Me too I guess though I was already helping," Minju said while thinking.

"You guys seem weirdly motivated," said Riddle.

"Ah, I get it! You guys are aiming for the open player position, huh~" said Cater.

"Hehe~ Was it obvious?" said Ace.

"N-no, I wasn't thinking that! We do want revenge!" said Deuce.

"Good grief. Well, I will take it into consideration if you manage to apprehend the culprit and or culprits," said Riddle.

"Alright!" said the combo.

"Getting back to the topic, I think that we need to take the initiative if we're ever to catch the culprit."

"What do you have in mind, then?" said Grim.

"For example, let's try to guess who will be the next victim so we can secretly be their bodyguard. We'll be able to secure the student's safety should an accident occur. At the same time, we'll be able to scope the vicinity for anyone suspicious."

"As I said earlier I suspect Savanaclaw so I think we should "Bodyguard" one of their students while getting dirt on them."

"What Minju had said is a good way to start," Riddle said.

"Actually, we already have plenty of ideas as to who can be potential targets among the students~ There are still other students other than Savanaclaw that I want to check out so I didn't take them out.~ I'll share the info via group chat, so go check the group album out, 'kay? "

"I don't have a phone, that's fine Deuce let me see that," Minju said as she sat next to Deuce to look at the names. "Interesting. Now that I think about it I could have just asked Crowley for everyone's student info then it could have been easier."

"O-oh, o-ok... Diamond-senpai... This is some great information..." Deuce said with a bit of blush.

"Of course~♪ Alright, shall we go check up on the potential targets~?"

"Off we go!" Grim said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.4K 927 26
From being reincarnated into a rich girl with abusive parents in a world full of fantasies and magic (and Disney apparently), she could only imagine...
16.7K 382 72
Alerie Lewyn known by others yet forgotten, wakes up in the coffin at the prestigious school Night Raven College in Twisted Wonderland with no memory...
346K 7.5K 128
All stories begin with "Once upon a time..." Charlotte Luchessi's a girl unlike any have seen. With a fast-thinking mind and many skills and talents...
663 59 12
To summarize, your 'bit' of an odd individual with a 'questionable grip' on sanity and knowledge base who unexpectedly finds themselves at the magica...