Nightfall | NCT Jeno x Aespa...

By evantaresh

"he only exist after sunset, and he's a looming chaos she shouldn't fall for." - story about Karina, a pharma... More

nightfall

1.6K 62 52
By evantaresh

nightfall

"Just close it an hour earlier, I heard there's a riot of two gangs in the area." She heard Giselle's voice.

"Okay, I get it."

-

Karina punched the code for the rolling door covering the small pharmacy where she works.

"Is it close?"

"HOLY F—" Karina covered her own mouth.

The guy stunned still, didn't even apologize for almost geting Karina's heart jumped off her throat. She take a good quick scan through the guy, black hoodie with the hood up covering a black cap and his face, all she could see is the thin lips which bruised in the edge. His hands are both inside the hoodie pocket. When he glance up, Karina caught his left eyebrow is pierced.

"Y-yeah of course we're closed it's 9 pm already." She raps it very quick because damn the guy looks like he's gonna rob her anytime soon.

"Fuck." He murmured.

Yeah of course fuck me for meeting a thug in the middle of the night.

Okay, she still got three hours before midnight but shit she wants to run.

"Do you know any other pharmacies nearby?" he asks.

Karina knew her pupils are infocus, moving to look at anywhere because panicking while pushing your brain to think is not easy. "Well, I-don't—"

Suddenly he pulls his hand out if the pocket and Karina winched.

If there's gun then this is it.

This is how I die?

Wow. No, not now, I haven't finished watching that drama with Lee Do Hyun in it, I haven't go and see Ateez concert, I havent—

"Jesus..." Karina gasped to see his wrist bandaged with a blood covered piece of cloth.

"I need alcohol swab or something."

"No, sir, you need to see doctor."

He paused and Karina knew she's doomed. She just lectured a thug.

"I can't, uh, too much questions."

Karina gulped before, with trembling hand, she punches another code and the rolling door of the pharmacy opens automatically. She could keep on shaking her head and say no, but what happened to humanity? Well, nothing happen to it because if this guy is one of the local gang who was in the news, then he's also fuck the humanity up.

But Karina is the problem, it's impossible for her to not cry when she saw a little kitten hungry or hurt on the street, then it's impossible for her to put that cold poker face to see a thug with bleeding hands too.

That's a unequal comparison which Karina needs to learn.

She stands behind the glass display and the guy standing cross her, outside the glass display. "May I see the wound?" she asks.

The guy's gesture is about to say no but Karina open her palm, asking for his hand. He's hesitated before giving it. Karina opened the bandage and saw a long cut wound. Her nosy self really can't help but wondering what happened to him, he fought? Is the news Giselle read in the newspaper this morning true? She exhales before asking him to follow her. They went to a sink, she need to clean it to see if the wound need any stitches. After wash it, where the guy didn't even whimpered or making any sound while Karina knew any wound is a bitch when meeting water or any sterile liquid.

"It's not very deep," the sat on a waiting chair, "I guess you don't need any stitches but we can't just wrap it with regular dressing." Karina stood up and going inside to take a box of butterfly strips and some other tools, she peeked on the guy, his hoodie is off now, showing his sharp jaw and thin wounded lips.

The guy just watching her tapped alcohol swab on the wound and close the open skin with the white closure strip, then she cover it with adhesive bandage. she went to the back of the counter again before came back with a plastic filled with some bandages and pills.

"This is a not prescription antibiotics, in case there's a infection," she said.

"Jeno! JENO!!"

He turned quickly when they heard someone's shouting. Karina saw he gets alerted, hurriedly shove the plastic from Karina inside his pocket.

"Over here, M." he suddenly said.

No need a long time before another guy, looking not very different from the guy he who might called Jeno. This one wearing a leather jacket with a super loose white t-shirt inside.

He's glancing up over anything, then his eyes caught Karina then to the freshly taken care injury in Jeno's hand.

"You good?" the M guy asked Jeno.

He nodded while pull his hoodie again. His eyes back to Karina, "how much do I owe you?"

Karina just wanted then to leave as soon as possible, he doesn't really have time to turn on the computer and do all the data input shit, so she just shaking he her head, "I-I got that."

"What no—"

"Just leave." She said, "please."

-

She doesn't tell Giselle the next day, but she paid the antibiotics and bandage with her own money so they don't get scolded for a missing stock.

"Good morning mrs. Park." Karina bowed to the owner of the pharmacy, Giselle's mother, she's a doctor in Seoul University hospital.

"Morning Karina, I just dropped by to see if everything under control."

"Of course it is, ma'am... what happened?" she asked, afraid that mrs. Park might hear about something. Or worse, caught Karina giving hand to a thug.

"There's a riot down the street, only three blocks from here... when police came they were running everywhere like a confuse ants when food they've been crowded taken by human." Mrs. Park explained, "it was around 8 pm last night, I'm afraid they came here since some of them are reported injured.

Karina gulped.

"I told Karina to close the store early last night." Giselle step out from the back office.

"Yes, right, mrs. Park, I closed the store early."

"Oh good! Thank God. Your safety is really my concern." She looked at the two girls.

"I'm sorry I can't accompany you during night shift." Giselle pouts. She's a resident in Seoul Uni hospital at the moment.

"It's okay." While Karina is taking undergraduate courses to be a pharm. D, or doctor of Pharmacist, not as complicated as being a doctor and she always been interested in chemical structure.

"Mom, can I get a lift to the hospital? My shift is in an hour." She said.

"Sure." Mrs. Park said, "let's go, I have to some patient visit."

-

And then it was a tranquil days that follows. Karina wear her shoes to go to the pharmacy and her eyes falls into a small piece of cloth which she brought from the store, the cloth which was covering the bleeding hand of a thug named Jeno. She brought it home so she wouldn't left any evidence that she let a thug in. She washed the blood away, and she found it was a handkerchief or probably some square twilly. And it has a cute little pony character printed on it.

Did he stole it from some poor little girl?

Or does the thug actually have some kind of kink?

Both are not a pleasant thought at all.

-

It's almost 8 pm, Karina sat on the floor, eating the bread from her favorite bakery at the corner, taking notes from new stocks that just came, and mentally murmuring numbers while listening to a faint music from the back office. Today was also a little quiet. This isn't a city center and mostly old people living here, they'd rather use the delivery service than to come.

Ting.

She extent her neck and air stuck in her gut.

That guy again.

The thug.

Jeno.

She immediately stand up, "can I help you?" it's probably better to pretend like she's doesn't recognize him.

"Yeah I need to buy the bandage." He's wearing another hoodie, another black colored hoodie but this time it has some big ass logo printed at the back, and he's still wearing a cap, even tho the hood is not up covering his cap and face.

"Okay," she keep her voice stable, hopefully it sounded stable, she took some plasters and sterile dressing. "which one?"

"No, not these two, uh, the..." he adjust the cap and let his eyes visible. The piercing in his eyebrows winked at Karina. "like the one you put on my wound."

Karina stunned. Should I stay pretending that I don't recognized him? No! that'll just extend the time of him here, I should be quick.

"Oh, you." She trying to smile, "h-how's the wound?" she asked while turning herself facing the big shelf, pretending to search the butterfly closure strip.

He didn't replied.

She took a box of it and turned around to see him looking at her.

"here," she said, "how many you need?"

He shrugs, "a box?"

Karina paused, "is this for your wound?"

He doesn't answer that either.

"Because if it is, you only need two or, well, four to change it but think it should be better by now... your wound I mean—" but the she gasp and feel suffocated when she saw blood running down the side of his face.

He saw her looking at him in horror and he might started to realized that it's not sweat that drip down the side of his face, "oh." He said.

Yeah, only an oh.

"W-what, what happened?"

He quickly shook his head, "nothing! Just some accident when I clean up my room."

Wow, bad liar. "just so you know, this bandage couldn't stick on hairy surface, you gotta shaved them."

"No, it's not in my head, it's just small scrapes above the ear—"

"May I see?"

Wrong! Karina, no!

He paused, "y-yeah, okay." He murmured.

Karina inhaled a big amount of oxygen, she took a first aid box, her first aid box which filled with much advance tools than regular first aid boxes. Then he went to the front glass door and flip the plate into 'closed' then she turn off some lamps.

Jeno looked confused.

"It's illegal to treat a patient here." She spoke without the guy asking.

He nodded while taking off his snapback. Now she got to see the sharp jaw, thin lips, pointy nose and the jet black hair that falls below his ears. He's actually very damn good looking.

Karina examine his wound, dry blood seen around the wound, it's right above his right ear, it looks like a wound caused by a sharp thing like knife.

"What do you have in your room that you got a wound like this when cleaning it? A bookshelf made of a machete?" Karina regretted her provocative question a millisecond after she said it. She shouldn't put any thug on the edge.

But he chuckles. He actually giggling.

"You're funny." He murmured.

Strangely she feels less nervous, maybe because this guy's smile is actually... charming. "anyway, you're right, I could probably treat this with the butterfly patches, but..." she carefully applied the bandage, "please don't get yourself in trouble again next time."

Jeno looking at her, "I'll try." He said while stood up and put some money on the glass display, "I don't know if that's enough..."

Karina was about to say something but Jeno stepped out of the shop.

"Uh. Excuse me!" Karina went after him.

Jeno turned around, "is it not enough?"

"What...?"

"The money."

"No, no, I think it's more than enough," Karina saw few creased 20,000 won but that's not the reason she went after him, "I have your scarf with me."

Jeno paused, "really??"

Karina nodded, "but I didn't bring it today, I..."

"Can I take it tomorrow?"

Karine hesitantly nodded, "oh wait no!"

Jeno tilt his head, "no?"

"Tomorrow is my day off... so maybe the day after tomorrow?"

Jeno smiles then nodded, "okay, around this hour yeah?"

Karina nodded.

She doesn't need to know the story behind the scarf but she knew it's important for that guy.

-

Two days later Jeno didn't show up for his scarf, and Karina would be lying if she said she wasn't disappointed. But hey, who is she to get full attention from a thug? This is a real world, people might have job out there, or maybe the importance of the scarf was only in Karina's head. That little pony probably has no value in him.

Next day, Giselle packed her bag after helping Karina stick a new barcode for some products, now she's sitting at the waiting chair to patiently waiting for her brother to pick her up. Karina is eating her favorite bread before starting her shift when Giselle tsk-ing loudly.

"What happened?"

"The riot happened again yesterday and police found someone heavily injured, he died on his way to the hospital... my Gosh... what's wrong with this people..."

Karina's head feels heavy and the next blabbing from Giselle wasn't heard anymore. He died?

Giselle went home after said "don't worry, now police are on patrol every few hours here since the riot was nearby." And Karina nodded while bid her goodbye.

Afternoon goes by with Karina assist few customers and reading her text book for the mid term exam at the small office behind the tall shelf.

Ting.

"Can I help you?" Karina shouts from the back to let the customer know she'll be there shortly.

"I hope you haven't had your dinner."

Karina closed her book so fast and peeped from behind the shelf, "Jeno...?"

Still in black hoodie, black cap, hoodie up, "Hi..." he has a black plastic bag on his hand.

"Wow, a present?"

"Just convenience store food." He shrugs.

Karina smiles, "Thanks..." she opened the plastic bag and found two breads, one banana milk, and a small pack of chocolate candy. "Where have you been?"

Jeno sat on the waiting chair while Karina stayed behind the counter, "out of town... sorry for not coming here... it was sudden." He said calmly, measure, in low pitch.

"Oh... don't worry, I wasn't waiting."

Karina saw the smile disappear on his face, but she's trying to ignore it, it has nothing to do with her. She doesn't want to get involved with a thug. Not that her life is so easy that she needs some new challenges.

She took something from her bag, "the scarf..."

Jeno raised to take it, "you washed it?"

"Uh, yeah, because it's full of blood..."

"Thank you." He murmured, he spread the scarf and looking at the printed ponies.

"You have a cute style." Karina trying to make a joke.

"I know right?" Jeno smiles while putting the scarf carefully inside his pocket, "it's my sister's."

"Oh now it make sense." Karina chuckles. "how old is she?"

"Uhm, five when she died."

Karina paused and gulped, "I-I'm... sorry..."

"No, not your fault." He said, "my fault."

Karina not sure if she should ask for more, "Wanna talk about it?" she doesn't know how to shut up.

"Not really." Jeno shrugs, "gotta go, I want to smoke. Bye."

-

She made a hot citrus tea for herself, leaning a the pantry bench looking at the glass door. It's been three days Karina change her shift into the day shift. Actually there are good explanation for this, first, she could use the night time focus on her study instead of jumping everytime the bell at the top of the door ting-ing. Second, she doesn't have to hope Jeno would appear because that human only exist after sunset. Because after that conversation about the owner of the scarf Karina feel nothing but deep sadness and guilt, and she doesn't want to be involved deeper with a guy like him.

Ting.

Karina lift her head to see who's coming and she saw Giselle's brother.

"Yuta oppa." Karina raised from the floor.

"Hey, is Giselle here?"

"Nope, she's at the night shift." Karina replied.

"Night shift?" Yuta seems worried, "okay, I'll be back and accompany her later."

Karina nodded, she hopes she has someone did this for her, "you're visiting some clients around here oppa?"

Yuta work as a social lawyer in a non-profit institute to help poor people get their justice. "Yeah..." he took a vitamin from the fridge, "how much?"

"5,000 won"

He gave Karina 20,000 won and said, "buy something delicious for you."

"Thank you oppa!"

When her shift finished, Karina told Giselle that her brother is coming to accompany her later and she saw Giselle groaned, she always said Yuta is too protective and it's annoying. She laughs and told Giselle that she's lucky to have such a caring brother.

Then she head out, with 15,000 won from Yuta she bought toast at the street stall near the pharmacy and much it along the way towards the shelter.

"I see you like bread more than rice?"

Karina turned and saw Jeno stood near the bus shelter. "just because you saw me eating this?" she sat on the bench.

"Nope," he sat beside her, "I saw a paper bag from the bakery in the corner everytime I visit the pharmacy..." he smiles, the smile that makes his eyes disappear, "that's why I brought you bread the other night."

"Oh." Karina shortly replied, trying to not going into the trap of his handsome face and pretty smile.

"Hey, wanna hang out?" he asked.

"No." Karina stood up, looking at the bus that coming. It's not her bus but she's gonna pretend that it is. "That's my bus."

"No, it's not..."

Karina furrowing her eyebrows, "what do you mean?"

"I know it's not your bus, but if it's your attempt to runaway from me, then go ahead."

Karina gulp, "n-no I'm not, I just... need to go somewhere—"

Jeno chuckles, "Sure..." he said, "Hey..."

Karina turned her head.

"I hope you're back to your night shift."

He seems relax today, Karina scanned him, his sharp jaw, his thin lips, nose, eyes, and saw no bruises even tho he still have the butterfly band aid on his ear. "It's nice to see you without blood all over your face or hand." She said.

Jeno smiles, "your bus is about to leave."

"Then wait with me until the next bus." Karina said.

They did not exactly wait at the bus stop because now they sat at the park not far from the pharmacy with coffee in their hands.

"It's weird to see you in the broad daylight." Karina sips her coffee.

"People might blinded by my beauty." He chuckles but then he's staring at Karina, no shame at all, he's staring sharply until Karina feel she might blush, "what's your name?"

Right, he doesn't know, he never knew what's her name before. "oh you didn't know?"

"I can manage to find out but I want to know from you."

"It's... Karina, Karina Yoo."

"Karina..." he smiles, the afternoon sun going through the sheer of her long hair, "Tell me about you."

"What? What do you want to know?"

"Your age, your—uhm I wanna ask about occupation but I already know about it... so, tell me something I don't know."

"That's a lot." Karina giggles.

"I have time."

"Well I don't!" still chuckling

"You're going somewhere after this?"

Karina shook her head, "study, for mid term."

"Ah, I see... a student?"

"in college, second year, Pharmacy Doctor."

"Cool..."

"Do you know what is Pharmacy Doctor?"

Jeno nodded, "I might look like a homeless but I know what is pharm.D."

"Whoa... you really know?"

His smile getting wider when he saw Karina is looked surprised, "Karina..."

"Yes?"

"Can I take you for dinner?"

-

It was a simple dinner at a small Italian eatery where they ordered a large size pizza—Karina wants to eat salad but Jeno said, "you need bread, I know, let's just order pizza!"—and soda and talk about many things. Karina told him about her dream to work at the hospital pharmacy and be the drug scientist, and Jeno listen to her diligently.

No talks about Jeno's family especially her sister but Karina understand, their relationship might still too vague to tell her about such sensitive issues. But at least he got another stories that keeps the conversation effortlessly fun.

It's time to go home, and he walked her there. Right in front of Karina's flat building, Jeno said he was thankful that Karina treated his wounds, that she definitely going to be one of the best Pharm.D out there. And she started to blush.

"Now get in, it's windy." He said.

Karina nodded, "uhm, if I'm back to my night shift, will you come visit?"

"I thought you like me better without wounds?"

"It's okay to visit without I have to treat your bleeding arm or head..." she murmured.

"Can't promise that but... yeah we'll see."

Karine bite her lips then shrugs, "okay."

Jeno exhales while smiling and when Karina turned away, he pull her wrist.

She gasped.

"I haven't say goodnight." He said.

-

It's Saturday afternoon and it's her day off. Karina staring at her messy hair, crumpled t-shirt, and the oversized training pants. She stood up and looking at her bed. That night two days ago, after Jeno told her good night ,she stood there like a statue, staring at the boy's beauty until Jeno pull her waist and lean in for a kiss. It was fast and slow at the same time, it happened so fast but it happened like she was in a slow motion movie.

She still feel the cold of the brick wall on her back when Jeno pushed her and kissed her deeper, and when the wind blew and it put shiver on their skins, the reckless, thoughtless, Karina invited him to came in.

She knew she's gonna regret it because she knew he's a trouble, and no one let a trouble walked-in in free pass.

But when she was under the shirtless Jeno who rained her with kisses and ring that satisfaction bell from the pit of her stomach, she forget it all. Cause even though he put her down later. The blame's on her.

And of course, after he left there's no news about him, not that he doesn't come to the pharmacy but Karina is busy with her exams and she took a leave, and another 'of course' is she didn't have his number and vice versa, so it was a pure stupid one night stand. An imprudent one fucking night stand.

She yelp from the sudden giddiness. Karina caressed her flat stomach that much flatter since she's starving right now.

"Ugh... why I have nothing?" she groaned at the fact she only have water, and old take away that probably already ruined. She opened the kitchen shelf and found nothing but an empty ramyun package, "throw the trash to the fucking trash bin, Karina!"

she washed her face at the kitchen sink and took her cellphone, she has everything in it, transportation card and e-wallet. It's everything she needs to go on a groceries. She doesn't care about how ugly she looks because her shopping list and stomach doesn't care about her appearance.

She grabbed some fresh veggies but put it back because she knew she won't cook it, so she went to the frozen-food section and the ready-to-eat section to get some salads and chill pastas, she also brought some ready-to-cook food and proceed to the self check out counter because her stomach is now grumbling.

Karina sat on a small bench in front of the groceries store to munch her sandwich, she needs some calories to walk home. Then she's walking across the parking lot to reach the bus shelter when she saw group of people hanging around one car, one girl sitting on the hood and there's one other girl and three guys, they're all dressed in either black leather jacket, black t-shirt, or grey. Yeah grey is the lightest shades. One guy in leather jacket laughs and then gulp the beer in his hand while turned around, not meant to looking at Karina but when their eyes met.

Jeno.

Karina paused, she doesn't meant to stare but he looks so fine in those leather jacket, with his hair styled, still no bruises in his face. But she realized Jeno sees her but does nothing. His eyes blank and cold, no shred of recognition towards her. Then he turned away to continue laughing with his friends.

Karina continue walking towards the bus stop.

Jeno did smile for other people, Karina, just because you treat his wounds, doesn't mean your special. And the bread, milk, and chocolate candy is because you found his scarf, nothing else.

And the kiss, the one night stand... he's a thug, probably belong to some gang that involved in the riot the other day, he's a bad guy, he could sleep around if wants to, and slept with you doesn't mean he's gonna date you and drown himself into whatever imaginary romance soap opera you have in your head, Karina.

Karina sat on the bus, looking out the window while feeling so silly and ashamed. She, Karina, the Pharm.D student with bright future, fall for a thug, and got her heart broken stupidly. And it's nobody fault but her own.

-

She cut her hair, not very short but she manage to get herself bangs, she cook healthier meal and brought meal box to work and campus, she reduce eating bread and toast because as a medical student she knew gluten is not healthy. She stopped wearing oversized t-shirt and start wearing nice blouse to school. She even facetime her parents and trying to communicate better.

For a healthier life. She thought.

For the new Karina. She tought.

But the new Karina is not the better one because every night shift is like a waiting game for her. She keeps her eyes at the door hoping there's some guy in black hoodie coming. Even tho she keep on warning her heart that she should stop and set boundaries.

She will. She told herself that she will.

Ting.

Shit. She thought when she saw the black shadow.

"Hi..." today he wears black sweater and jeans. He looks much more decent than wearing those hoodie and cap, well, he looks less like a thug this way.

"Hi, can I help you?"

Jeno extend his hand, there's a wound that looks like it's been days.

"What happened?"

"Accident in the... uh, kitchen?"

"Wrong answer, try again." Karina said in a flat tone, but then she regret it, why would she bothers? What if he really had an accident in the kitchen while trying to impress some girls he slept with the night before?

"Thought you'd hate it if I said I was in fight few days a go."

Who am I to hate it? You can go and fight everyone to show the girl you're on a date with that you're the man. I won't care. Really. "looks like it needs to be stitched." She said with a maximum heartache she created for herself.

"Can you do—"

"No, it's illegal."

He stops and stare at the girl in front of him, "you cut your hair?"

Karina leave him to the tall shelf and took some band aid.

"How's the exam?" he asked again.

"You should go to the hospital." She said, "and put this to keep the wound from open wider." She give him the butterfly bandage.

"Can you help me apply these..."

"No, I'm sorry. it's illegal to treat a patient here." Karina said again while putting all the bandage and alcohol swab into a plastic bag, "it'd be 23,000"

Jeno staring at her while said nothing, he fished his pocket and found few crumpled 10,000, he gave it all to Karina.

"Your change..." Karina is about to give him his 7,000.

"No." he said, "you changed." He left the shop.

-

"He said I changed? Does he has a double personality or what?" Karina murmured while printing some barcodes for newly arrived medicines.

Ting.

She extend her neck and saw Giselle and her brother.

"Pick me up at nine, oppa, you don't have to be here today, Karina is staying." Giselle said.

"She'll work overtime?" Yuta opened the fridge and took a bottle of vitamin.

"Yes, oppa." Karina popped from the back office, "not overtime but I'll stay to do some paperworks from school."

Yuta put some 50,000 won on the glass display, "buy dinner you two!" he said before patting his sister's head.

"One of his client is from around here, that's why he keep on swarming near me. Do you think he's telling the truth? I think the client he's talking about is a phony, he just worried because of the riot. But the riot is over tho..." Giselle is still sulking when Yuta left and karina just laugh it off, she knew how annoyed Giselle is when her brother around.

"If you hate Yuta oppa so much, let's change place." Karina said, "I want a brother to watch me everytime I have a night shift."

"Talking about someone who watch you on the night shift," Giselle sat across her, "The day you took a leave for the exam, a guy came looking for you."

"W-who?"

"The same guy I saw talking to you at the bus shelter."

"W-what? How did you know it's the same guy?"

"He's good looking, that's how I notice, and I saw you two talking when I was taking out the trash." Giselle said. "first he came in and buy some vitamins, but looks like he's looking for someone."

"Ya! Giselle he could be some mug!"

"Nahh... he's too polite." Giselle said.

"Polite?" she definitely got a wrong person. But hey, if she thinks about it over, Jeno did polite, just a bit mysterious.

"The second day he buys nothing but he passed the shop few times." Giselle continued, "the third day I went out and told him that you're off during the exam, he nods and leave but I know he's always around when you're on your night shift."

"Nonsense..." Karina murmured.

"Now tell me, who is this handsome boy?"

"No one, Giselle, just someone I—met when he bought some strips." Karina pretend to be busy checking barcodes.

"Maybe he likes you." Giselle teases her.

"That's not possible, maybe he I gave him a less change... and he want it back."

Giselle laughs, "yeah, right."

-

She should've known something was going to happen, not in a nicest way. First, her class finished late, so she had to run to the shop and couldn't stop by the bakery at the corner, and today is a bit packed at the shop so she doesn't even have time to boil some water for a cup ramyun. She's starving.

It's passed 8 pm when she thinks she couldn't take it anymore, she flipped the shop sign into 'closed', and planning to run to the toast stall near there and buy two egg and cheese toast before came back again again run the shop for another hour before it's officially closed.

But then it starts with a hand touching her shoulder, she jerk out and a shriek stuck in her throat.

"I need hangover cure." His voice deep and hoarse.

Oh shit, now she has to deal with a drunk thug. She scanned him from head to toe, black bomber jacket, black t-shirt underneath, black jeans. Is this some kind of dress code in this area or what? "Wait a second." She trying her best to not shake her voice while opening the shop again.

Karina took two bottles of tonic and put it on the fridge display.

"Which one?" she asked.

"Which one's better?"

"Well... I,"

"It's for my friend." He lift his head to looking at Karina, this guy has a high cheekbone and suddenly Karina remember, he's M, the guy Jeno called M.

She pull just any brand and scan it, "this one's the best." She said, "5,500 won."

"And alcohol swab, gauze roll," he read something on his cellphone, "butterfly bandage, and tape."

She took all the products without much asking, but it's Karina, she's nosy, "you... treating some wounds?"

That M guy nodded.

"Is it cut or...?" she asked again, "maybe I can help you choosing the suitable tools."

"Nah... it's fine." He said, "oh, and a tweezers to take out some glass pieces from the wound."

Karina gulped. "okay." She took a small tweezer and put it in a plastic bag along with the other.

"40,500."

He gave her one 20,000 bill, "I don't have 500."

"Yeah, it's fine." Karina nodded a bit too fast even tho that guy wasn't missing 500 but fucking 20,500.

The guy left and Karina think whoever it is might get into a fight while being drunk, whoever it is, and if it happened to be Jeno, then he's that mess, not worth her attention at all.

The toast stall closed and her only option is the convenience store across the bus shelter, she bought some bread and a cold juice in a can. She eats it while sitting at the plastic seat in front of the store while scrolling down her cellphone when some police cars passing with the siren on.

"Another riot?" a part timer who work at the convenience store sighed while cleaning up te table beside Karina.

She's glancing at the pharmacy across the street, it's passed nine and it's closed, so whoever looking for a bandage after this riot is so unfortunate. She shrugged. Bu then she heard sound from the small aisle beside the convenience store, like a groaning to resist a pain. Karina ignore it but other voice keep talking in apologetical tone.

Her phone is ready to call the cop while she snoop in.

Her heart plummeted when she saw Jeno sits on a used plastic crate, the M guy sitting in front of him while there's other guy pointed his phone flashlight to Jeno's hand. She saw blood and she's about to scream in anger but she choose to take a deep breath before doing another stupid move, "Jeno...?"

The three guys turned to her.

"Oh, hey." He said, coldly.

"What happened to you?" she said.

"Nothing."

"He got into an accident, and—"

"Jaemin stop." Jeno said, "I'm fine, Mark please continue."

"It's so hard to take out these small glass pieces."

Karina took a step closer but Jeno glaring at her, "if you're only gonna tell me to go to the hospital, you can go."

Karina keep going and said, "let's go the the shop, I'll treat you."

-

Involved with one thug is never a good idea, now she has three of them inside the pharmacy and she's swear she's gonna apologize to Giselle's mom one day.

"You're not gonna ask what happened?" Jeno asked after Karina poured his wounded knuckles with the IV liquid. They were at the back office while the other two are waiting in the waiting chair in front.

"I asked before but you said 'nothing'." She said.

"Someone smashed a beer bottle on my hand."

"Won't happened without reason, hm?" Karina pointed a small desk lamp to his knuckles and search if there's any glass left.

"Yeah, because I befriend his leader only to kill him in the end, but he found out."

Karina didn't say anything, she doesn't understand and she convinced herself that she doesn't have to know.

"He killed my sister."

Karina paused and lift her head, looking straight into the black orbs in front of her, "how did you know...?"

"He run her over with his car. He was drunk." Jeno said, "I saw it."

"Then why you said it was your fault?"

"I was asked to watch her but I was busy playing some games on my cellphone." He said.

The silence feels so cold, Karina tapped some ointment before wrap it with the gauze. "what about your parents?" she asked.

"They hate me... maybe... I runaway from home and won't return until I kill that bastard."

"Take off your jacket."

"W-what?" Jeno flustered.

"Gonna see your other wounds."

Jeno took off his jacket and Karina check on the wound, bruises are mostly gone, scars still jagged but it looks good. The last cut that Karina told him to be stitched was not treated good, it was open again probably during the fight he just had.

"Why you're not going to the hospital?" she sighed.

"Too much question." He murmured.

Karina paused, she's contemplating inside, "So," she sighed, "I can't treat this cut here."

"It's illegal to treat a patient here, I know." Jeno rolled his eyes.

"But I have my suture kit at home."

"You—you're gonna sew it?" he asked.

Karina nodded, "if something goes wrong, don't sue me."

Jeno nodded.

Karina stood took her bag and stand up, "Your friends can't come."

Jeno nodded again, "sure."

-

It's easier to use staples or skin glue to this wound because looks like it half recovered half fresh like this but she doesn't have those kit so Jeno is gonna have to deal with it.

She gives him anesthesia around the cut and wait for a few minutes before sew it. She gave Jeno a small towel to hold on but seems like he took it better than expected.

"The stitch has to come out in 7 to 10 days, please don't fight anyone during that period because it might broken." She opened her desk to take some antibiotics and give it to him. She knew all this time Jeno's gaze is following her but she play it cool. "we're done." She said while collecting the tools from her dining table,

"Are you sure all the glasses are clean from here?" he raised his nicely wrapped knuckle.

"Do you feel something?" she looks worried.

"Yeah."

"Should I open it and check it again?"

"If it could make you hold my hand longer." He smirk.

"What the—so you don't feel anything, like some spikey—"

"No, I do feel something for you." He said.

Karina put down the small suture kit, "not at you flirt at me one day and completely ignore me the next day."

"What do you mean?"

Karina trying to not sound so irritated, "you saw me at the groceries store but you pretended that you don't know me, why? Because that time you were with those cool kids? And you're too ashamed that you met me, an ordinary girl you slept with three days before?"

"Oh my God... Karina, that... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you, but I was with the people from that gang, the gang who the leader is someone I want to kill, I was trying to be the part of them, I got into fight for them to be accepted, and I don't want them to recognize you!" he sighs, "I don't want you in danger because of me."

"But you let two guys from before to see me!"

"Mark and Jaemin are my real friends, they're not the part of the gang, they helped me with my plan." Jeno explained.

Karina paused when Jeno stepped closer.

"And you're not an ordinary girl, Karina, do you realized how beautiful you are? I would brag you over to anyone, but not to those gangsters." Jeno whispers while run the pad of his thumb over her cheek.

It was a staring contest for a while, pupils are shaking to find out if their feelings are mutual. Then Karina let the guy kiss her, she lets those soft lips melts her completely, he biting, enveloping, sucking her lips. She lets him push her to the wall and trapped her inside his strong arms.

"Can I stay here tonight?" it whispered against her ear, so quiet and soft that it makes her angry to how weak and vulnerable she feels right now. All the 'moved on' and 'I don't care about him anymore' are thrown outside the window the moment she nodded.

It was a lie if she said she doesn't want to do anything with him, their first experience set a new standard for her about a man. Jeno did everything gently but rough and all was in a right composition. But today, looking at all the bruises and the injuries. She told him to just rest.

"I could still do it..." he shrugs, "but only if you want."

"Then I don't want it." Karina shook her head.

He pretend to sigh and accepts the defeat but smiling childlike when Karina leans for a slow kiss.

-

The days that follows was better, she knew his number now and they're always texting. She asked about the gang member who found out about his plan but jeno said he managed to convinced them that it was a misunderstanding. Seems like that guy didn't trust him but he said he'll deal with it.

"Remember that I'll text you before calling you, okay?" he said on a phone call.

"Okay." She doesn't know why Jeno has to text her before calling her, seems like it's his habit to make sure Karina is not busy with other things. Maybe.

"I miss you." He said.

Karina chuckles, "stay at my place tonight."

"I can't, I'm out of town..." he said, "be back tomorrow and go straight to your place."

"Okay."

"Bye, beautiful."

She smiles again, "see you soon."

But the next day Jeno texted her that he couldn't make it, that he still got some job outside the town.

Ting.

Karina lift her head. She saw Mark.

"Oh, hey Mark..." she greet him.

"Hi, uhm," he looked around.

"What's wrong?"

He gave her 20,000 won bills and a change, 500 won. "sorry I wasn't bring enough money that day..."

Karina laughs, "wow... thanks!"

He nodded and about to leave but Karina called him.

"What do you wanna know about Jeno?" Mark asked while sitting at the waiting chair with a bottle of vitamin drink in his hand.

"Anything... like... what kind of job he's doing now? He's been out of town a lot." Karina said.

"Honestly, I don't know about this job..." he sips his drink.

"Did you also involved at the riot before?"

Mark shook his head, "just the first one, I found him here, if you remember..."

Yes, she remembered that, "Yeah..." she sighed, "so, no information about his job?"

Mark shook his head.

"And about... his sister?"

Mark looks hesitated but then he talked, "it wasn't his fault..." he mumbled, "it's true that he was looking at the phone that time, but her sister wasn't ran to the street, that motherfucker gangster was the one lose control of his car and went to the sidewalk because he was drunk."

"And?"

"He runaway, and it's hard for police to handle this case because it involved the big gangs in this area and all their dirty money to bribe forces around here." Mark explained.

"Does it true that his parents blaming him for the accident?"

"No, Karina, they want him back to his house, I even met them regularly, but Jeno is too hard on himself."

"Can't you do something? I really want to get him out of this job." Karina sighs.

Mark watched her and smile, "I just know that he likes you since the first time he met you."

Karina blushed, "what?"

"Yeah, he's watching your from a far, especially when you went home at night... this area is full of mug and I'm pretty sure you're an easy target but have you ever wondered why you're safe walking at night alone?"

Karina slowly shook her head, "lucky?"

Mark laughing, "sure... you're lucky you have a man like Jeno following you every night and keep the mugs away."

-

That night she doesn't even received any messages from Jeno, the last one was nothing but a promise to visit her at he shop after he's back.

Is this how it feels to date someone so mysterious, someone who carried too much baggage on his shoulder...

Karin took a deep breath before realized that her phone buzzing.

Jeno.

"Hello?"

No sound.

"Jeno... where are you? You're coming here?"

"Ah... the girl friend, I see..." a voice that sounds low and hoarse replying.

Remember that I'll text you before calling you, okay?

Shit. Is this why? Karina gulped, "n-no..."

"Found ya, baby..." the man's voice sounds intimidating and wicked.

Karina hung up the call and trhow her cellphone away, she feels the cold sweat dripping on her face, her hands trembling. Then she remembers she has Mark's number. She called him but he didn't pick up.

That night, she called Giselle and told her everything. Giselle went to her flat and picked her up and Karina stayed at Giselle's house for few days before she decided to go back to her parents house. She changed her phone number, quit the job in Giselle's mom pharmacy, apologizing for making troubles, and move to a new flat few months later. And during that time, she never heard about Jeno again.

-

She heard the car honking in distance, the clink clank of metals from the construction, and the street buzzing. Karina turned towards her new flat, tho its two block more far from the uni compared to her old flat, but its bigger and she likes the area, she has a small park right on her door, the convenience store is slightly bigger, and the street is more crowded.

Karina hates quiet places. Its... scary.

She arrived at her door and about to press the front door's code when she stopped. What is the code?

Why can't she remembers?

She look around to make sure that she's at the right place. She is. But then she saw something, like body. Karina stepped closer and saw a body, twisted on the street. She was sure it wasn't there when she passed it. Karina take a look at it closer, she doesn't know where she got the courage but she gotta check on that guy. Hard lines of muscles are visible, she saw scars on his broad back, another scar on his bicep, a cut on his forearm, it was newly sewed, oh looked like the one she done towards—she saw a fresh scar just above his right ear, and the knuckle that wounded with broken glasses on it. Then she saw his face, sharp jaw, thin lips, high pointy nose. Jet black hair, falls just below his ears. Suddenly eyes opened, move the piercing on his left eyebrow, probably sensing the distressed way of being stared at by Karina, "hey." He said.

Karina gasped, "Jeno!" she sat up half jumped, waking up from a bad dream, panting like she's been in a marathon. Cold sweat dripping down her face, but when she wipe it, she knew the sweat was mixed with tears.

She cries, sobbing and cry, not because she's broken hearted, but because she's tired. Tired of wondering where is he.

-

One year later is the time where Karina had to focus on her study, it's her final year in prerequisite coursework, she's gonna need to graduate before continue in the professional program. She brought a big cup of coffee to the hospital because since one month a go she officially doing an internship at Seoul University hospital's pharmacy.

"Bad day?" Renjun asked while making his morning coffee from the small automatic coffee machine.

Karina slightly nodding.

"I wonder if anyone has a good day while being an intern here." Jisung prompted.

She got a new friends named Renjun and Jisung. She learns that Renjun is a smart student from China who gets a full scholarship, while Jisung is her clumsy junior at campus.

Renjun laughs, "you got the point, Jisung-ah..." he turned to Karina, "wanna talk about it?"

"Nope, just a weird dream..."

"How weird?" Jisung asked, slide his chair closer to the girl.

"I found a dead body on the street in front of my apartment." Karina said.

"That's creepyy~" Jisung hissed.

"It's someone you know? Or just a stranger?" Renjun asks again.

"It's uhm..." she paused, "stranger."

The rest of the day wasn't exactly good but at least its over quickly. Except for Jisung who get the night shift.

"Really nobody's gonna stay?" he whines.

"Yes. Go suffer." Renjun smiled and Karina laughs.

"Nunaaa..." he called her.

She took her buzzing cellphone and saw text from Giselle.

Giselle: let's have a drink before home. Say yes!

Her watch tells her its 7.12 pm.

"Nope." Karina shook her head, "go suffer cause I'm gonna drink with my friend before home~" Karina's singing her words.

"A guy?" Jisung asked.

"A girl, don't be jealous." She laughs.

"You wished." Jisung said while waving at Renjun, "bye hyung!"

-

"You invited him?" Giselle rolled her eyes when they sat on the small bar and Giselle saw her brother's coming.

"Me? How? You're the sister." Karina chuckled, "But Yuta oppa is still working on the domestic violence case that's why he keeps coming to the hospital to see the victim," she turned to Yuta who just sits beside Giselle, "right, oppa?"

"Uh huh," he's checking something in his cellphone, "but today I'm meeting my junior, he's handling cases about bullying and beating."

"Phew bullying." Giselle rolled her eyes.

"It's a bullying, beating, and extortion by an amateur gangster downtown."

Gangster. It put some bad memories in her.

"He was part of them before, that's why he's good at this." Yuta plunge down his cellphone into his pocket again and turned his face to Giselle, "Don't you have a test tomorrow? Why drinking today?" Yuta scold Giselle and she just rolled her eyes.

"Hyung."

Yuta turned, "ah there he is."

Karina saw Giselle's face became pale like she's seeing a ghost. She slowly twist her neck to see who's coming from the bar door behind her.

"You can sit beside Karina." Yuta said.

"Karina?" the voice stopped, like something is stuck in his gut.

Karina lift her head, and there, the guy who often came to her dream. Sharp jaw, thin lips, high pointy nose, and jet black hair... it doesn't falls below his ears anymore but short and styled up neatly. And no eyerbrow piercings.

"Jeno..."

end

a.n/ should I make an epilogue?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 48K 53
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
734K 44.9K 109
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
503K 18K 97
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
987K 37.2K 88
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...