Nuvole Bianche | Luca Balsa x...

By _sinfulbutpure_

[Edit Completions: 6/7] [More chapters on A03] Luca was deemed a murderer and was condemned to hang. You were... More

• 1 | Arrival •
• 2 | False Reality •
• 3 | Him •
• 4 | The Scientists •
• 6 | Feeble •
•Seven•

• 5 | Glass Shard •

138 8 4
By _sinfulbutpure_

Luca's life was fading within my arms. His face was torn and his sides were oozing with crimson. His now unkempt hair was threaded with dust and dirt. He could barely whisper his final words to me before he shut his eyes. I laid him down gently, and with my blood-gashed arm, I helplessly reached for Melly's crumpled, damaged fingers. She was sprawled on the dirty concrete with her once enchanting ebony eyes peeking out of her torn mask. They were now ashen and inanimate.

I yearned for the ability to scream, but only a squeak befell from my parched, torn lips. My eyes burned as my tears mixed in with the dry air and mud. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't. What was the point of breathing when the lungs of my loved ones could not?

The sound of a snake rattle.

I could not see it, but I could sense it behind me. In this helpless situation, I'd prefer to be mutilated than to live a life of perpetual mourning. Defenseless, I accepted my inevitable doom as the sickle shredded my throat.

I awoke in a pool of sweat with my heart erupting out of my chest. I frantically scanned the room for a silhouette and examined myself. The curtains gently caressed my arms as the gentle breeze tickled my cheeks.

A nightmare.

No.

A prophecy.

I brought the pillow to my face, my fingers digging through the white satin, and distracted myself from the dreadful scenarios that would occur today.

The envelope informed me of the time, the site, and my teammates.

And Luca was one of them.

Those diabolical rodents. They were plotting something after all. They were idling aside, waiting for Luca to recuperate from the previous match so that they could place him alongside me. They were toying with my feelings and were eager to see how far I would go to save his life or mine. To even imagine Luca injured or set in that rocket chair...

They knew I would gamble it all for his sake.

But would I? Even if it's apparent that I cannot die?

I'm not sure anymore.

--------

I had lost my appetite when I attended breakfast. I felt the need to hurl all over the tablecloth. I could sense Luca's sympathetic stares when it was time to prepare for the match.

"P-please don't fret, Y/n," he consoled as I retreated to my dorm. "We only need to be c-cautious. I confess that it's d-difficult to see your confidants get wounded, but we must continue if we are to escape s-simultaneously. I cannot say that the panic becomes more manageable the more you p-participate, but at the very least, no one can p-perish."

I pivoted to face him, quivering. I felt frail and pathetic. I'm guaranteed to lose my first round, and I am not at all prepared.

"Luca..." I squeaked. "I'm petrified."

And I am afraid of watching you die again.

My confession only emphasized my fears. I hardly express my vulnerabilities so easily to a stranger, but my immediate response was to expose myself to Luca, regardless of whether he recognized me or not. He was my weakness, and I had to admit that I still needed him. That I still wanted him.

Luca opened his arms for me, but I shuffled away. It's one thing to think out loud, but to allow these emotions to evolve into actions is dangerous. It would only worsen the possibility of my nightmare coming true.

But his eyes filled with disappointment.

"Please... at the very least, let me e-embrace you," he pleaded.

But the last time I embraced him, I had only burdened him. It seems Mr. Baden did a reasonable job hypnotizing him from what occurred that day. He had to have forgotten. Why else would he ask for an embrace if he knew the consequences?

Would he react the same again?

I had to give in to my desires. Leaving him like this would only induce guilt later on. I shakily wrapped my arms around his back and laid my head softly on his shoulder. My body was buzzing with anxiety, preparing to run away if needed, but despite my fears, Luca held me closer.

His warmth and rhythmic pulse nearly made me limp in his arms. All my worries and nightmares diminished in an instant. It was a nostalgic warmth, and I had longed for it. As I squeezed tighter, I took in his scent of cedarwood, oil, and a gentle hint of rosemary.

"My lo-" I began but quickly tensed.

I almost confessed. He truly was my weakness.

He had to break the embrace. He was convulsing again soon after I stuttered the beginnings of that phrase. Not as much as the first time, but it was getting out of hand. His voice cracked from the overwhelming pain, but he refused to let go of my arms.

It's me. It's always been because of me.

"I'm so sorry!" I cried as I unstuck myself from him and leaned against the entrance of my room.

"I-It's alright! I-I just need to- ergh!" He struggled even to speak.

My hands moved on impulse. I covered his eyes.

"Do not look at me," I ordered.

After several more worrying spasms, he was eventually pacified.

We were quiet. We are now aware that there was a tale between us, but only one of us continues to reminisce about it.

"Who are you, Y/n?" Luca asked. "P-please tell me."

My heart sank, and my whole body wanted to crumble.

"I'll meet you at the match," I whispered, tears pricking at my eyes.

I uncovered his inquisitive eyes and left him looking askance as I entered my room.

I leaned on the other side of the door, waiting for his departure. He stood there for a moment, before eventually retreating. Once his footsteps faded away, I slid onto the floor, splinters from the door tangling within my hair.

I shatter everything I touch.

--------

Luca and I spared no glances with each other while we prepared for the match. I was ashamed, but it was for his own good, was it not?

I preoccupied myself with examining my puppets. What should I use them for? The strings attached could wrap around the attacker if aimed precisely. The strings are not quite dependable, but they could endure for a few moments. Similar to Melly's insects. I also consider my hands quite flexible due to all this puppet-making, and while I'm not exactly sure what I am decoding, I have some faith in getting it decoded quickly.

That settles it. I'll consider myself a container. If the hunter is chasing me, which I sincerely hope it won't, I can throw one of my puppets and have the strings wrap around them. I think three puppets should do. One can wrap around the neck, one on the legs and one on the arms. Once all three have latched on, I'll lose him for a moment and grab the strings, forcing them to topple over. That should give me some time for others to rush out of the way.

My meagre moment of courage vanished when I heard the sounds of extravagant heels reverberating behind the curtain. A feminine giggle echoed soon after.

Judging by her confident tone, she must be proud of her role as a hunter as well. I wonder what convinced her to become this devilish figure. Why did any of the hunters become such villains?

Once everyone was prepared, we left the room and entered the awaiting carriages. Everyone was unusually relaxed while I sat there fighting to maintain my sanity.

It was inevitable to sit beside Luca in the vehicle.

It was quite tight, but the other teammates, Margaretha Zelle and Murro seemed to be accustomed to it. Murro's grand but adorable boar trotted alongside the cart. It was a nice distraction from my internal burdens.

Luca and I exchanged nothing but the touching of our shoulders.

Eversleeping Town they called it. It sounded like a peaceful land, despite the outlook of infinite torture. Margaretha, who requested that I get rid of her honorifics, reminded me that each survivor has a certain position on the map. The letter indicates this and comments that it's best to go to the nearest cipher in that area. It's a "fair" situation for the hunter.

Thus, I'm found in a building wrapped in shoji screens and a gaping hole in the floor. The tensions were rising and my blood was viciously pumping as the countdown began.

3.

2.

1.

I vigorously pushed the keys of the typewriter and shook the machine from time to time. The world was silent for the most part, but I dreaded the fate of the poor soul who would be found first.

I was 30% into decoding when the first scream hit.

Margaretha.

I witnessed a vague view of the attack from afar. A lady in a crimson gown, who was holding a fractured shard in her dainty hands, had sliced Margaretha's back. The injury was not from her own doing. Instead, it was done by the hands of a transparent look-alike on the opposite side.

Margaretha stumbled over her toes as she sought to escape the hunter while I popped my cipher. A zapping sound occurred and I was driven towards another cipher that was radiating blue sparks. This must be Luca's ability.

I rushed towards it and caught a glimpse of the hunter chasing after the dancer again. Should I use this opportunity to use my strings?

I tiptoed beside a pallet and awaited an opening. I popped from my position like a weasel and gave a signal for Margaretha to kite through this area. She saw it in time and frantically headed in my direction. I shuffled through my bag and brought out my first puppet.

It was me. I had made a replica of myself while quarantining months ago. "I" was a little busted, scratched and slightly detached, but all busted-up toys are a sign that they are well-loved.

Most usually are.

The hunter gave one more swift attack on Margaretha, and at the same moment, I threw the doll. It coiled around the woman's neck and a choking sound emanated from her as she arched back. Nevertheless, she refused to let a minor setback rob her of victory and continued to pursue the dancer.

Until I flipped the pallet.

She growled in frustration while I stood frozen from my sudden achievement.

"Come on! Keep it up!" cheered Margaretha, but now was not the time to celebrate.

She quickly recovered and decided to pursue me.

Another cipher popped as the shard missed my neck by an inch.

I bolted away from the ciphers and pulled down the numerous pallets that I ran between, wheezing from exhaustion and panic. My lungs were parched and my blood was a heated rush to my brain. I received plenty of scratches and splinters from all the pallets and vaulting attempts, but I don't think I could hold on for much longer.

A slice just between my hips and abdomen was enough to snap me out of my worries. I shrieked in distress to let the others know that I may have been pushed to my limit and that I could collapse at any given moment.

Still, with my now dripping wounds, I kept running. The lights were blurring, my head was spinning, my lungs were heavy and my legs buckled. I felt like I was losing consciousness. I felt like I was dying.

But I kept going.

I dizzily vaulted over another pallet before being nullified in the act. I fell to the ground, cringing at the pain in my sides. It's amazing how I would be easily healed by the hands of Miss Dyer and continue this "adventure" for another day. Not too long after my wounds close up, of course.

Hysterical.

"My, my. I don't recall ever seeing you before," the lady in red purred. She hoisted my sluggish body from the dirt and held me in a ballroom-like stance.

"Only refer to me as Queen Mary or Bloody Queen. Whichever ingrains itself in your insolent mind more."

She tossed me in a rocket chair and strapped me down firmly.

Another cipher pop caught the attention of the "Queen" Mary, and she navigated around the area, expecting a new member to arrive at the "party."

How embarrassing. I am the first to be chaired.

"Focus on decoding!" I managed to croak. I was still trembling from what had happened to me. The shame convinced me that I'd love nothing more than to return to the manor. However, both consequences, including being bled out or being launched from the chair, would disappoint everyone, including myself.

The quick unlatching of the belts of my chair, the sounds of collapsing pallets, and the violent grunt of a boar were events too quick for me to process. I was then swiftly pulled away from the tumult between Murro and the queen by Luca himself.

"But Murro!" I remarked. "We have to-"

"He's a r-rescuer! It's his responsibility!" Luca insisted, sweat dripping from his forehead as he rushed me to a closed and less tumultuous area.

"Are you alright? H-here let me heal you-"

"I'll get Margaretha to treat me!" My body jolted away from his touch. "She'll take care of it..."

Our awkward tensions returned, causing Luca to push out a weary sigh. I desperately attempted to avert our interactions by trying to close my wounds on my own, but despite all efforts, the blood continued to seep through the cloth.

"M-may I?" Luca offered once more.

I nodded in defeat.

"...Alright."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.3K 2.8K 77
CONTENT CONTAINS : SELF HARM SUICIDAL THOUGHTS SUICIDE IDEATION SUICIDE ATTEMPTS MENTAL ILLNESS SEXUAL CONTENT TORTURE ABUSE VIOLENCE & STRONG LANGUA...
72.4K 2K 31
LUCA BALSA SUPREMACY This is the story of a new survivor who joined the manor... you! And someone already has his eyes on you... I hope you enjoy thi...
3K 405 35
After my escape, and yet another but brutal last year at the same high school, my school sent me their condolences and made sure to inform my future...
248K 8.7K 38
[Edited Aug•28•2016 - Sep•1•2016] [Will be re-edited soon] ->>> [MY FIRST LANGUAGE IS NOT ENGLISH, SO THERE ARE TOO MANY ERRORS AND, NOT TO MENTION...