The Killer or The Detective (...

By FreeFlyer68

Kira was a very intelligent killer in Japan. L was the best detective the world has ever known. But did anyon... More

It All Starts Here
The Nations Meet
Late Nights and New Assignments
Sweet Gestures
Are You Kira
New Information and Confusion
A Traumatic Bus Ride
The Meaning of Justice
To Trust
The Real L
A Red Tint
The Envelope of Names
Feeling Tired and Stressed
Which Side is the Pawn on
Forehead Kiss
A Detainment Plan
The Hard Part
The Points Make it Clear
The Entrance Exams
The Differences Between L and Kira
Tennis with Sickness
Sick or Flustered
A Simple Walk Home
Something Unseeable
A Copycat
Caring For You
Kira Joins the Kira Task Force
The Response
'Shinigami'
A Plan
Light's Girlfriend
Heartache and Healing
Donuts
Physical Evidence Discovered
Taking a Break
The Original Confession
Wait For Me to Come Back
To Tell or Not
Going Back to Work
An Awful Date
Losing and Gaining
It Is Time to Rest
The Original Light Yagami
Concern
A Night with Yotsuba
The Great Divide
A Plan of Her Own
The Girl Team
The Last Component
You Are the Fourth Kira
Do Kiss and Tell
The How and Who
Kira Investigation: Closed
Ending: Light Yagami
Ending: L Lawliet

The Chess Game Begins

4.9K 180 63
By FreeFlyer68

You had put the last files of the day in their box with today's date. You set the box on a shelf beside yesterday's, and you looked at the time. The meeting between nations would be over, and you could listen to what they were saying if you went to the front desk and listened to them as they walked out of the building to get to their cars and go to the airport to go back to their nation. You walked out of the big room of files and walked back to the front desk, and waited for the representatives to walk by. When they did, you could hear bits and pieces of their conversation. You could figure out what happened inside the meeting room when everyone walked by and left the building. Of course, they had whispered the information, but your hearing was above average. When Matsuda and Mr. Yagami came by, they stopped at the front desk to talk to you. 

   " This will be interesting. " You said to them.

   " You've already heard everything? " Mr. Yagami asked.

   " Yup, sorry to say but the men who left, don't have the best whispering skills. " You said, which made Mr. Yagami shake his head.

   " So, the famous L has involved himself. And he's pinning the investigation here in Japan, along with the base of operations. I'm impressed by how far he's gotten. " You continued.

   " Yeah, it's strange how all of this is happening. It's a lot to take in. " Matsuda said. 

   " It is, but we need to find this murderer or many others will die. "

   " What do you make of this Y/n? " Mr. Yagami asked.

   " Well, there's not a lot of information on the murderer yet, but from what I've looked at while reading and organizing the files I noticed that they've all died by heart attacks and my theory is that the killer is using the media to get his sources. "

   " Why the media? "

   " Well, there are some killers in those files that haven't been found yet, and there are some that have been and are in jail. When I thought about it I asked myself one question, 'Why have they not killed everyone yet, if they have access to all of the files?' So that takes away the police and agents, leaving only the people. And the people can only get their information from the news and from newspapers. And those who have died have been in this year not previous years where we couldn't find the killer that escaped or are old and still in jail. So, the killer hasn't been doing this for long. "

   " You've thought about all that while we've been in that meeting? " Mr. Yagami asked with a small smile.

   " Hey, someone's gotta continue the train of thought for you two while you have a meeting to get new info. "

   " You'll make a great agent, Y/n. " Mr. Yagami said, patting your shoulder.

   " Thanks, I'm learning. Now you both need to return to your jobs. "

   " Right, why don't you join us, so you don't have to put your ear against the door to hear everything? "

   " Excuse me, I don't do that. And am I even allowed to join in on these meetings? "

   " Yes, you are a part of the team as the assistant and member. You already have theories and know more than most of us, so might as well come with us. " Matsuda said.

   " Thanks. "

You grabbed your laptop from your bag and walked with the two men up to another floor of the building and into a room filled with many others who were talking about the case. You sat down at one of the tables and opened your laptop. You started looking through newspapers, digital articles, and other websites about the killer. You scrolled through multiple websites, and the sun was already starting to set in the sky. You finally found something.

   " Hey, guys. I've got some news. " You shouted.

Everyone turned their attention to you, and you looked from your laptop and connected eyes with Mr. Yagami.

   " The public has already given the killer a name. They're calling them Kira and it's disgusting seeing how the public are reacting to this. "

   " How are they reacting exactly? " A voice in the room asked.

   " They like this Kira. There are multiple websites asking Kira to kill people. They type in the name and ask Kira to kill them, actually, they're begging for Kira to kill the person. "

Everyone started talking among themselves, and some even came behind me to look at my laptop. I was on one of the websites looking through the chats that started and all of the names people had listed to be killed. I felt my body flare in anger at seeing all the names on the website.

   ' They're cowards. They can hide behind a screen and ask someone to kill for them. That's inhumane. '

The TV that was on the news in the room had changed into a blue screen, and the white words on the screen read, 'The program is interrupted for a special broadcast.' Your attention was brought from your laptop to the TV. That seemed to happen to everyone. Whatever their attention was on doesn't matter anymore as they look at the TV. The blue screen faded away, and the screen showed a man sitting at a table with papers in his hand.

   " We'd like to apologize for the interruption. As of now, we're bringing you a live worldwide broadcast from Interpol, ICPO. We now take you live to the ICPO. "

   ' I didn't know we were doing this today. '

The screen changed and what we saw now was a man sitting in front of a white screen with the world on it. The man was in a grey suit, and his black hair stretched to sit above his shoulders. His bangs looked like they were going to cover his right eye if it grew any longer. There was a card sitting in front of him that read, 'Lind. L. Tailor'.

   " I head of an International Police Task Force which includes all member nations am Lind L. Tailor, otherwise known as L. "

   " So this is how it all begins. " Mr. Yagami said.

   " But, sir, I don't get it. He's never actually shown his face before, right? Why would he choose to do it now? " Matsuda asked.

   " Because that's not L. " I said.

   " How do you know? " Someone asked.

   " Because after years of hiding his face, after thousands of solved cases, he never showed his face. Why would he show his face for this one? "

   " Maybe he's showing that he's serious. " Mr. Yagami theorized.

   " I don't think that's it. He takes all of his cases seriously, otherwise, he wouldn't be the best in the world, he wouldn't be our trump card. I think he's set this up to test Kira, on what I don't know but what I know for one-hundread percent sure, is that man on the screen is not L. He wouldn't show his face for something like this, but he would stay in the shadows like he always has and observe the situation first. "

Mr. Yagami nodded at what I said, and our attention was grabbed by the screen again.

   " Criminals around the world are being murdered by a serial killer. I consider this crime to be the most atrocious act of murder in history. I will not rest until the person or persons responsible are brought to justice. Kira, I will hunt you down. I will find you. "

   ' If this was all set up by L then these are his words. His promise to find him. . .he's determined. '

   " Kira, I've got a pretty good idea of what your motivation might be, and I can guess what you hope to achieve. However, what you're doing right now is evil. "

The man on the screen smiled, and he didn't say anything for a couple of seconds. Then, he gripped his chest and was gasping for air. He collapsed on the table before two men in suits and sunglasses picked up his body and escorted it out. I could feel my heartbeat in my ears from witnessing his death, but before I had time to comprehend what happened, the screen changed into a grey color with a fancy L on the screen.

   ' This is the real L. '

   " Ah. I had to test this, just in case, but I-- I never though it would actually happen. "

   ' He sounds astonished. He didn't predict Kira to kill like that. He expected a usual way of killing, but he didn't expect Kira to kill the person on screen without actually being there or without touching the fake. He made it a theory so now he's curious and astonished. '

   " Kira. . .it seems you can kill people without having to be there in person. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't just witnessed it. Listen to me, Kira. If you did, indeed, kill Lind L. Tailor, the man who you just saw die on television, I should tell you that he was an inmate whose execution was scheduled for today. That was not me. "

   " I knew it. "

   " The police arrested him in absolute secrecy, so you wouldn't have heard about him on TV or through the internet. It appears that not even you have access to information about these types of criminals."

   " Wow, you were absolutely right on everything, Y/n. L even figured it out like you did. " Matsuda said.

   " Crazy world. " You said, still focused on the TV with wide eyes.

   " But I assure you, L is real. I do exist. Now. . .try to kill me! "

Everyone in the room started to freak out at the idea. Apparently, they didn't know this would happen either. They only knew about the interruption; they didn't know what L would do after the man on the screen was killed.

   " What's wrong? Come on, right now, kill me! " L shouted.

   " What is he doing?! "

   " This is too far! "

   " Are you trying to kill yourself, L? "

   " He's trying to see if the theory is right. " I said.

   " What theory, Y/n? "

   " I just thought about it now actually. Whenever the criminals have died their names and pictures have all been on the internet or the TV. They were posted somewhere. Kira even killed Lind L. Tailor without knowing about his arrest. "

   " But what is he testing? " Mr. Yagami asked.

   " He's testing to see if Kira can kill with a name and a face. He could kill Lind L. Tailor because his name and face were shown, but L's face and real name are nowhere to be seen on any media platform or even now on the TV. He's proving that Kira can't kill him. That Kira can only kill when he knows the persons name and face. " I said.

After L tried to coerce Kira to kill him, he was still alive on the other side of the screen.

   " Well Kira, it seems you can't kill me after all. So, there are some people you can't kill. You've given me a useful hint. Let me return the favor. I'll tell you something that I think you'll find interesting. Although this was announced as a worldwide broadcast, the truth is, we are only broadcasting in the Kanto region of Japan. I had planned to broadcast this message around the world until we found you, but it looks like that won't be necessary. I know now where you are. The police treated your first killing as an unrelated incident, but in actuality, the first of your victims was s suspect in Sinjuku. Of all the criminals that recently died of heart attacks, this one's crime was, by far, the least serious. Furthermore, his crime was only ever reported inside Japan. I used that information to deduce this much. You are in Japan and your first victim was little more than an experiment, which means that you haven't been killing for very long. "

   ' He's good. '

   " We decided to broadcast in Kanto first because of its large population, and, luckily, we found you. To be completely honest with you, I never expected it would go this well. . .but it won't be too long now before I am able to sentence you to death. "

   " L has. . .certainly lived up to his reputation. " Matsuda said.

   " Mhmm. He proved that Kira exists, that the deaths were murders, and that he is here in Japan. " Mr. Yagami said.

   " Naturally, I am very interested to know how you're able to commit these murders without being present. . .but I don't mind waiting a little bit longer. You can answer all of my questions when I catch you. . .Let's meet again soon, Kira. "

The screen then when static, but I couldn't make my eyes look away from the screen. Even when the L disappeared, I kept looking at it, thinking about everything that just happened. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I knew it was Matsuda because his hands were smaller than Mr. Yagami's.

   " You're amazing, Y/n! "

   " Why? "

   " Because everything L said on the TV is what you predicted minutes ago when we were talking at the front desk. And I don't think he understands that Kira needs a face and a name to kill. He had said that Kira gave him a useful hint, so that must mean he hasn't concluded that yet. "

   " No. . .I bet he has already. "

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

268K 10.8K 28
(Y/n) (l/n). What a person. I don't think anyone really knows what to call that enigma. Some say they're a freak. An unfathomable eccentric. Others t...
1.2K 63 7
You were deemed the "other twin" by everyone, you seemed to "not have as much potential" as your brother. But who could blame you, he was an all-A ho...
465K 22.6K 35
To L, she was an unknown piece in the giant game of chess he was playing with Kira. Or rather, she was the wildcard third person that had enough infl...
71.2K 2.2K 19
You have been working along the side of the genius L Lawliet for years and are currently helping him with the case of a murderer named Kira. On your...