good things fall apart • siri...

By foolintherain

Not even the Youngest Descendant of Godric Gryffindor knew what was so special about her family's sword. The... More

Summer 1971
The Marauders
I'll race you
Stars, planets, galaxies
James Potter and his ducklings
Oblivious
Important business
In style
What makes her so special?
It's a mess
Enough
We are Gods
He'll hate me forever
I'll still like you
Gryffindor
Trés bon!
Who do you love?
Curly haired boys
My Cubby
Crashing down
Gone
These things aren't easy
17th January 1975
20th January 1975
23rd January 1975
24th January 1975
25th January 1975
3rd Febuary 1975
Abandoned
Stumbling blindly
I should be doing alright
Us
Hogwarts is calling your name
Crowded mind
Good times, bad times
Birthday boy
We're often left confused
Say no to Sirius Black
Gryffindor red
I hate boys
The Youngest Descendent
My favourite
Cornered animals
Family
Future weddings and firewhisky
Padfoot
She's back
Rearrange the stars
Tell me
Misdemeanours
Stormy weather
Communication breakdown
Intervention
Those four letters
It was time
Betrothed?
Putting on a show
The Blacks
Wicked Walburga
Who's to blame?
You look like me now
Naked truth
Dogs
Out of hand
18th June 1976
A wonderful day at the Ministry
Brothers
Everything's changed
The handsome boy
Uncertainty
Watch me
Answers
Teenage fantasies
Fancy who you want to fancy
Puppy
Compromised positions
Him or her?
Jealous
'I'm perfectly fine' is a lie
Fragile things get broken
Baby steps
Patriarchs
Tattoos together
It wasn't that type of trip
Pretty stars burn out eventually
No more hiding
The beautiful girl
I love you
Reflections
Care
Stay away
Let's fight this together
Perfect
Important interruptions
Si beau!
Bliss and Beauxbatons
Rabastan
Unreachable dreams
Suffocated
Camille Dubois
Storm Sirius
We're bad for each other
You've been so brave
Forever now
Good things fall apart
The end-ish
During the Christmas Holidays 1977
1st August 1978

Chaos and chickens

379 12 3
By foolintherain

Despite their seemingly constant arguments, Ellie and Sirius still shared a bed. It helped that James had forced them to hug and somewhat make up last night, because as ridiculous as it was, it managed to dissolve some tension. The handsome boy had been reluctant to ask whether Ellie would stay with him, panicked by what nightmares might strike if she didn't, but when she climbed into his bed without a word he'd relaxed completely. It took a lot for their sleeping routine to be thrown off, especially when the beautiful girl had started to realise how much more peacefully Sirius slept when they were together.

However, there was nothing peaceful about the way they slept that night, nor how they woke up either.

Like normal, James stirred first, and from there, it didn't take long for the dorm to descend into panic. As soon as his glasses were on and eyes adjusted, he was screaming. Blood-curdling, gut-wrenching screams that tore through the whole of Gryffindor tower. He stumbled to get out of bed so frantically, his knees gave way and he slumped to the floor in a helpless heap.

The rest of his friends were awake in seconds, all features drained completely of colour as James began to sob hysterically, his wails becoming slowly more guttural. In his overwhelmed state, he failed to notice Ellie and Sirius shoot up, and if he had, there perhaps wouldn't have been so much chaos, but instead, the messy haired boy was already grieving for friends he'd not lost.

Ellie practically fell out of bed immediately, crawling across the floor to James and taking him in her arms as fast as possible. He froze momentarily, his hands fumbling for her face as if he couldn't believe she was actually there, vision still blurred from tears. She rocked him carefully as they clung to each other, shutting her eyes tight as she placed comforting kisses to the top of his head, unable to mutter even just one word.

No one needed to ask why James was hysteric. For stabbed right in the middle of Sirius' mattress, exactly in between where him and Ellie had lay, was the Sword of Gryffindor, sharp blade shining in the morning sun.

Every single Gryffindor, from every single year had congregated in the common after their harrowing wake up call. Some first years had ran there crying whilst the seventh years all tried to account for everyone, the Head Boy and Prefects being sent for Professor McGonagall straight away. There was complete chaos, and in all the confusion, five students were forgotten in the head count.

When their Head of House finally arrived, she tried to get someone to make sense of the commotion, but everyone was a quivering wreck, terrified by the screams that had woken them all. There had never been wails like them, and still, no one knew who'd they'd come from.

"Is everyone here?" McGonagall asked Fraser Buchanan, Head Boy, swiftly, her eyes scanning the crowds.

"Everyone has said that their dorm-mates are all here, so we think so."

"First year boys raise your hands!" McGonagall cried, making the whole common room fall silent. Six hands shot into the air immediately, "First year girls!"

She went through like that with all the year groups, making sure everyone was there for herself. The Gryffindor Head of House wasn't someone easily shaken, but her heart was thumping wildly in her chest as her eyes stayed wide and unblinking. She was sure even she'd heard whoever it was that had shrieked.

"Sixth year girls!" Only Lily raised her hand and McGonagall's face paled beyond sheet white, "Sixth year boys!" Her voice was more frantic this time, striding through the crowds slightly to make sure she wasn't just missing them, "Sixth year boys! Ellie Gryffin!"

No one's hands were raised, and a wave of dread washed over everyone.

"I need you to go and get Professor Dumbledore." McGonagall turned to Fraser Buchanan, "And Madam Pomfrey too. No one is going to leave this common room whilst I-" She was cut off at the sound of footsteps descending the boys' dormitory stairs.

Still in pyjamas and eyes distant, Sirius and Peter emerged first, the smallest Marauder shaking violently with each step. All eyes were on them, whispers bouncing around the room as the students backed away to create a space for them. Professor McGonagall let out a somewhat relieved sigh; none of them were hurt, and that was the main thing. Next came Ellie and James, both still clinging to each other for dear life, steps fumbling and unsteady.

And Remus was last, Sword of Gryffindor in hand. He strode through by the rest of his friends and straight up to their Head of House, expression blank.

"We need to see Dumbledore." He mumbled, thrusting the sword at her.

News spread like wildfire at Hogwarts, and it didn't take long at all for the other houses to find out what had occurred in Gryffindor tower that morning. Rumours circulated immediately as half of the lions turned up to breakfast still in pyjamas and looking lost. People may not have been friends with the Marauders, they might not all even like the group, but there wasn't one person who wasn't worried for them. Cries of anguish like they'd heard weren't a laughing matter. The group were known for being loud and over dramatic, but this was different all together, everyone knew that, and everyone gave the Gryffindors space. All first period lessons were cancelled that day.

Lily Evans had been the most panicked of all, and as soon as Professor McGonagall had led the Marauders away, she'd tried to go after them to make sure Ellie and James were alright. They really hadn't looked it. Yet, the swarms of students in the common room hadn't made it easy, and they were gone before she'd even made it halfway to the portrait door. The rest of her morning was spent rocking herself soothingly in a quiet corner of the Library as she tried to take her mind off whatever godawful thing had happened to her friends, stroking Marmalade in her lap as if he could solve all her worries.

"It's the stolen replica." Ellie forced out as the five Marauders and Professor McGonagall found themselves before Dumbledore in his office.

Sirius had his arm around Peter's shoulders, trying to stop him from shaking as they and Remus stood beside where Ellie and James had squished themselves into the same chair. It wasn't big enough for two at all, and they were bundled into a tight ball of awkwardly positioned arms and legs, cheeks pressed together, but they just needed each other close. The messy haired boy needed to know that both Ellie and Sirius were fine, and he reached out to take a hold of the handsome boy's free hand tightly.

From James' bed, it had looked as if the pair's sleeping bodies would never wake again with the sword sticking out of the mattress the way it had done.

"You're sure this is the replica and not the real sword? Or maybe even another fake?" Dumbledore queried, making sure he had all of his facts before he took any action.

"It's Goblin silver, Professor. Real egg sized rubies." Remus cut in so that Ellie didn't have to speak again, "I saw it at the Gryffin's before it was stolen. That's their replica."

The Headmaster sat for a very long time in silence, gazing through his half-moon spectacles down at the Sword of Gryffindor on his desk. Features unreadable, the wait for his response was agonising and Sirius got impatient quickly.

Action needed to be taken, someone had clearly broken into Hogwarts, slipped passed everyone and into their dorm. The school was supposed to be impenetrable, and for all they knew, there could be a dangerous Death Dater on the loose. Dumbledore looked as if someone had given him a biscuit he didn't like, sat back in his chair casually, and Sirius' brows crumpled together. Peter was still shaking at his side, James and Ellie look traumatised. And all the Headmaster was doing was getting lost in his thoughts.

"Are you going to send for Cyrus then?" The handsome boy snapped, no concern for politeness, "Or the Ministry Aurors maybe?"

"I'm afraid both Mr Gryffin and the Ministry are otherwise engaged presently." Dumbledore replied smoothly.

"Then what about your precious Order of the Phoenix? You know, if you let some of us join we maybe could've-"

"Sirius!" Professor McGonagall scolded, cutting him off, "I suggest you remain silent."

"No, he's got a point." James butted in wearily, "Something needs to be done about this. How do we know it wasn't a premeditated attack designed for worse? Anything could've happened, someone could've been hurt. I thought that- It looked like..." His hasty sentence trailed off as he shut his eyes, hand squeezing Sirius' tighter as he shuffled even closer to Ellie. James took a deep breath, "You told Cubby last year that she might be in danger. This is a sure sign she is."

"How did they even know, Professor?" McGonagall stepped forward now, "Miss Gryffin should never have been in the boys' dormitory, so how did they know to find her there?"

"I don't underestimate the number of eyes and ears Lord Voldemort has acquired, Minerva." Dumbledore shook his head gravely.

"But in the school?! These are children we are talking about."

"And they can be just as powerful, just as talented, just as ambitious as any other."

"You cannot be suggesting we have students who are Death Eaters?"

"I am not suggesting anything, but it is something to keep an eye on." Dumbledore hummed as he rose from his seat, moving to pace back and forth thoughtfully, "It has taken him longer than I expected, but that has brought us time..."

"Longer than expected for what?" James asked quickly.

"To figure out the sword is a fake." Ellie mumbled, remembering back to the conversation she'd had a long time ago now with her father, "No doubt, Voldemort thought he'd managed to steal the real sword when he sent one of his followers to scout my home. My dad said he was foolishly misinformed, well not really in those words, but that was the general gist."

"Well, you only have to read up on it to find out the real one is kept in the Sorting Hat." Remus frowned.

"Exactly."

"So what? The darkest wizard ever to be known doesn't have a brain in his thick skull?" Sirius scoffed, but he just received stern looks from everyone. None of this was to be taken lightly, and deep down, he knew that. But the handsome boy couldn't see much further passed the fact that, in Cyrus' words, Lord Voldemort had been utterly foolish.

"Have you figured out what he needs it for yet?" Ellie asked, and Dumbledore's lips pressed into a firm line as he continued to pace.

"I have my suspicions, but there is no way to be completely sure."

"And what are those suspicions?" James was desperate for some kind of information, but it seemed he wasn't going to get it.

"That is not something you need to be concerned with presently."

"Bullsh-"

"It's 'cause we're not part of the bloody Order, Prongs." Sirius cut his best friend of with an eye roll, squeezing his hand.

"Bullsh-"

"We have to be of age, remember?" The handsome boy spat, "What utter-"

"Bullshit." The two black haired boys chorused.

"Language, Potters." Professor McGonagall scolded half-heartedly, "There is a reason you are not to be inducted into this Order yet, and it would be wise of you to accept that. We are discussing a war, and you all are just children!"

None of them had expected her tone to reach such a shrill pitch and silence fell it its wake. McGonagall cleared her throat, brushing down her robes as she averted her gaze away from her students, face flushing red in mild anger.

"As ever, you are right, Minerva." Dumbledore comforted from a far, "This is a matter for the Order of the Phoenix, and as none of you are members, I am not at liberty to discuss anything with you. However, I ask that you all stay cautious and vigilant. If there is anything amiss, anything at all that just isn't quite right, I must know."

"But surely there's something you-" Ellie was cut off.

"I'm sorry, Miss Gryffin, my hands are tied." The beautiful girl felt very similarly to when he'd explained about her mother last year, only for him to go on to tell her that everyone might as well sit back complacent, "You have all shown true Gryffindor bravery this morning, and I am proud to be able to say you are students of my school, but that is all for now. I ask that you go straight to breakfast, you will all need something to calm your nerves. In times like these, I find a good slice of cake always puts a spring back in my step."

There was a silence as all the Marauders stared at him gone out.

"We've missed breakfast now, Professor." Peter eventually squeaked.

"Then, Minerva, I ask that you see to speaking with the house elves down in the Kitchens."

The whole situation felt somewhat anti-climactic. After the chaos of how they all awoke, the frantic dash to the Headmaster, the Marauders had all expected instant action. For maybe the school to be searched for any intruders, for their parents to be contacted, for answers to be given. Something. But instead, they'd been told to forget about it and eat some cake.

They were all furious. Ellie's life was in danger, Sirius had nearly been dragged into that too, and she couldn't even be offered some form of comfort? Dumbledore seemed no closer to understanding what Lord Voldemort wanted with the Sword of Gryffindor than he had been almost two years ago when it was stolen. Nearly two years now. The Order had done nothing visibly to help, and the Marauders were completely in the dark.

Being blind in a war, basically meant your gravestone was already carved for you.

Professor McGonagall did as Dumbledore asked and whisked them down to the Kitchens swiftly, trying to avoid as many other students as possible. Not only did the five Gryffindors look a mess all still in their pyjamas, with bed head and exhausted expressions, but even the portraits seemed to be muttering about this morning's chaos, and McGonagall didn't want them subjected to that.

The lack of information and help Dumbledore was able to give had irked James sufficiently for him to forget all about the terror of waking up to find a sword sticking out of his best friend's bed. His shakes had ceased, and instead, he was scowling as if the whole world had done him wrong. The messy haired boy wanted answers, but most of all, he wanted action. And Sirius did too, both of them seemingly having a silent conversation as they trekked down to the Kitchens. Lips curled in anger, eyebrows knitted together, and glares ice cold. They seemed to fan each other's flames of fury until they were both ready to ignite, and unfortunately, the group passed just the wrong people when emotions were running high.

"Piss yourself this morning, Potter?!" Michael Avery called from the marble staircase as McGonagall ushered them by the Great Hall.

"McLaggen said he was shrieking like a girl." Lucius Malfoy was right at his side, ready to join in with the jeering, the rest of their Slytherin goons huddling around them.

Professor McGonagall rounded in seconds, moving in front of all the Marauders protectively.

"I suggest you get to lessons Malfoy, all of you." She commanded, "And that's twenty points from Slytherin for you use of inappropriate language Mr Avery."

"Twenty points?!" He argued, "You're being sensitive, Miss. We were just having a laugh."

"Then go and have a laugh somewhere else!" Remus interjected, fists balled, "Maybe in front of the mirror?"

"You watch it Lupin. Snape's been telling us a little about your-"

"Forty points, Avery!" McGonagall cried, completely cutting him off, "To lessons. NOW."

Thankfully, the Slytherins didn't stick around, but they'd definitely made themselves targets of some form of revenge for their mocking. James had lurched forward, ready to go after the group, but McGonagall quickly grabbed his arm as she ushered them all along once more.

The Marauders huddled together at the end of one of the long bench tables in the Kitchens, bent over mugs off hot chocolate as the house elves got to work on rustling up some toast. Silence draped over them like a heavy blanket, too warm and suffocating for any of them to even raise their eyes from the table, but it didn't really matter, for there was nothing to say. What could they about the fact they'd been left in the dark as usual? It was infuriating, everyone felt the same, and so they all just raged wordlessly.

Professor McGonagall stayed with them though, ensuring that no rash actions were taken or plans schemed. She knew the calculated look in James Potter's eyes; she knew the fury which was ready to overspill in Sirius Black; and she knew the terror that was radiating off Ellie Gryffin in waves.

"Professor?" Remus blurted randomly, "Pardon my French, but why the fuck is nothing happening? Why have we been sent down when clearly Cub- Ellie and James both shat themselves this morning, and need answers?"

"You heard Dumbledore, Lupin, his hands are tied. I know no more than you do."

McGonagall had never looked so hopeless. Her cold exterior melted in seconds, and she sat herself down next to James with a sigh, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. Deciding that her place in this brewing war was teaching and protecting the students at Hogwarts, she'd declined Dumbledore's offer of joining the Order of the Phoenix, and so that left her just as clueless as to what the organisation were trying to achieve. She knew how to ask clever questions, which meant she wasn't kept entirely in the dark, but she could definitely sympathise with the five teenagers sat before her.

Just as she'd said to Dumbledore, they were all just children - victims, not heroes or forces of evil. None of them should be caught up in anything do to with any conflict, let alone the one the whole wizarding world were facing. McGonagall would never devalue any other student's struggles, but she knew this group in particular, had been given a foul hand of cards. And as if that wasn't enough, because they were all so close, one person's problem became everyone's problem. The Marauders had many shared burdens.

"I don't see Dumbledore in chains." James grumbled, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"Perhaps not, but he is a man with many responsibilities, and sometimes he has to make decisions which don't please us all."

"C'est n'importe quoi!" Sirius spat, but he only received bewildered looks in return. He cleared his throat awkwardly, his anger slipping out the language he'd been forced to learn alongside his native tongue as a child, "He won't do anything until he has all his stupid bloody knowledge, but has he not stopped to think about the fact that he might not ever get all his questions answered? Whilst he's pacing back and forth in his office rubbing his beard, the rest of us are in danger. Cubby is in danger! What will it take for him to take action? Her bleeding out? Because I've seen that, and it sure as hell made things very real for me."       

His hand slammed down on the table violently, everyone's drinks sloshing in their mugs.

Ellie's face paled further than the already pasty shade the morning had blessed her with, as her fingers found the scar up her neck subconsciously. She traced it right up her jaw, across her cheek, and to the bridge of her nose, her eyes studying the scars on her right arm the entire time. Grimmauld Place felt like lifetimes ago, so much had happened since then, yet things were still very much the same.

Uncertainty still tainted everything until it was difficult for the beautiful girl who used to crave impulsivity so much, to even contemplate just doing something off a whim. What used to just be a case of hoping she didn't get detention, now was making sure that her life wouldn't be being put at risk. Without realising it, the horrors she'd faced in that awful house Sirius had to call a childhood home had sparked gloom and despair from there.

Summer had been a deceiving respite, but everything had quickly slipped back into confusion and a state of constant unrest. Whether that was for heavy things like they'd faced today, or just teenage relationship drama.

"That wasn't your fault." Ellie whispered, reaching out to take Sirius' hand as her mind was pulled back to the present, but he just dodged her.

"Yes, it was, and I'll never forgive myself."

The handsome boy wasn't saying it to get her to fuss, nor did he want anyone else's sympathy. Instead, he was taking the blame without an agenda. For once in his life, Sirius Black understood when he'd made a mistake, perhaps one of the only almost fatal ones he'd ever make. That was something he'd carry, something that was a part of him now. Something that reminded him how lucky he was to have Ellie Gryffin in his life every time he looked at her.

Professor McGonagall tried to reason with the Marauders, make them understand that because Dumbledore had said no, that was final, but she didn't get anywhere. Eventually, she just left them to finish their hot chocolates which were going cold and toast which none of them had touched.

"We'll just have to hope that we can have some of our questions answered at Christmas." James sighed after a very long time, trying to let go of his anger, "If worse comes to worst, we can coerce McKinnon into spilling."

"So 'till Christmas then?" Sirius grumbled. Until Christmas we'll all wait in fear that Cubby will be attacked any moment, along with anyone who might stand in her way.

"'Till Christmas." They all agreed solemnly.

"Can we do something to take our minds off it? We've got until second period I guess." Peter squeaked weakly, desperate for a distraction to cease his shakes which kept coming and going.

"I think maybe we could pull something off." James smirked.

Not even half an hour later were the Marauders fleeing from the scene of their crime, racing down the corridors as their heads were thrown back in laughter. It was bizarre the way they were so easily able to flip from the terror and anger this morning, to light-hearted mischief making, but it was exactly what they needed to settle themselves again. Dwelling in the fact they were pushed out of the situation with the Sword of Gryffindor would only fester even worse feelings, which meant anything to momentarily make them forget was worth it.

Remus had come up with the brilliant idea of getting back at Malfoy and Avery for their comments on the marble staircase earlier, and James had thought it no better opportunity to reuse a spell he'd cast on a Slytherin before. Specifically, the one which had turned Severus Snape into a chicken.

However, after her dramatic walk-out from detention yesterday, Ellie still had no wand, and so she could only be a witness. She'd meant to ask McGonagall for it back, but it had slipped her crowded mind, and so she'd have to do it later. Sirius told her that she could just share his wand in lessons, for they already knew it took to her just as well, which came as a complete shock to the others. Wands being loyal to more than one person was practically unheard of, they only ever swapped if another witch or wizard won it off its previous owner. Though, not only was this helpful in situations like this, it was perhaps testament to how similar Ellie and Sirius' souls really were. 

With only a couple of practice attempts by the others, everyone had the spell well prepared, and they'd stormed the dungeons with a vengeance. All it had taken was to wait for their targets to emerge from the common room, and with a few shouts, a flock of chickens squawked wildly in a huddle on the floor. The Marauders, of course, had left Malfoy and Avery (as well as Mulciber and Barty Crouch Jr, who'd been with them at the time) to panic in chicken form without hesitation. But it didn't take long for Snape to come after his friends, only to find the mayhem which had been left behind.

That's why they'd needed to run, but that's also why they were laughing so hard they all felt like they might collapse. They prayed it took Madam Pomfrey a good while to sort out the four flapping chickens in distress.

Yet this wild hysteria mixed with the fleeing, had the group of friends almost barrelling straight into a familiar red head as they passed by the Library, bringing them all to a speedy halt. Peter about tripped over his own feet, making Sirius reach out and catch him, whilst James ruffled up his hair immediately - even the running hadn't made it as windswept looking as he liked it.

"Merlin!" Lily Evans blinked furiously as she clutched a few books and a copy of the Daily Prophet to her chest, Marmalade slinking in and out of her legs, "Ellie, James, are you both alright?"      

She still hadn't been able to settle her nerves, despite all the reading she'd completed, and had actually just been on her way to find Professor McGonagall for information. James Potter's blood curdling screams from this morning echoed in her ears when she stared right at him, something she was sure she'd never forget.

"We'll be fine." Ellie stepped forward to grab one of Lily's hands as she caught her breath back. Explaining what they'd all woken up to, she watched the red head process everything rapidly, her features mangling into that of horror, "Dumbledore's on it, but he won't give anything away."

"That's- That's awful, I..." Lily struggled for a response, "And what about your dad?"

"What about my dad?"

"He's lost his job, hasn't he? It's splashed all over this morning's Daily Prophet."

Sure enough, there Cyrus was, the moving picture on the front page of the newspaper depicting the moment he disapperated from the Atrium in the Ministry of Magic for the last time. Ellie balled the paper in her hands as Lily passed over her copy, eyes scanning the article too quickly to take in the words. I'm afraid both Mr Gryffin and the Ministry are otherwise engaged presently - Dumbledore's words from this morning resurfaced in her mind.

If she hadn't been so emotionally drained already, the beautiful girl probably would've screamed. She wanted to scream. Hit something hard and curse the universe for throwing everything it possibly could at her family. Her father had done nothing wrong; he worked hard at his job and was always pleasant with all the stuffy Ministry officials, regardless of his actual opinion on them. Whilst Ellie knew that he was growing tired of how they were dealing with things to do with Lord Voldemort, that he was very much on board with Dumbledore's plan for the Order of the Phoenix and taking action, she didn't think that would ever compromise his position in the Ministry. If anything, it would be helpful for him to still have a significant stance with the Minister, for then he'd be able to get first-hand information about the goings on.

But that was exactly what the article was about.

Gryffin's in the Gutter, the headline read, and Ellie's stomach churned. The boys all crowded around her to scan the article too, but she didn't get very far until she couldn't read any more.    

"...Scintillating or spy?

This morning employees of the Ministry of Magic where greeted with not only the grave news of yet another Muggle-born family attack, but the violent scene of Cyrus Gryffindor being forcibly removed from his office. Following accusations on where his loyalties lie and recently discovered evidence that Gryffin has been passing confidential Ministry reports into the hands of Professor Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Minister Harold Minchum has told us 'he had no choice but to put an end to his perfidy'.

There were scenes of protest where Gryffin raged mercilessly against his ex-colleagues, even taking two members of the security team out with stunning spells as they tried to remove him from his office. One woman told us that 'he looked like a madman, only evil in his eyes', and now suspicions are circling as to whether he may even be in cahoots with some of the prisoners of Azkaban..."

"Let's give the Prophet a round of applause." Sirius spat, "Once again they've succeeded in spreading lies."

"Not all of it's false." Ellie mumbled, eyes fixed on the picture of her father and the mortified expression clouding his features. Image was everything to him, she knew that, and with just a few words, his reputation had been splotched with black ink, "I can't understand why they'd do this. He's not betrayed the Ministry, he wouldn't have done anything illegal, so they have no grounds to sack him."

"But if they have evidence-" Peter began, but she cut him off quickly.

"They can't have evidence if it's not true! And they can't just fire him over allegations."

"We'll write, okay?" James wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulders, "You write to your dad, even speak to Godric's portrait if that's quicker, and I'll write to mum and dad. If we don't hear anything quickly, we'll go straight back to Dumbledore."

"You don't think he's had a part of this though?" Remus interjected, "I'm not saying that the Prophet is telling the truth, but if your dad has been telling Dumbledore some things, surely he's partially to blame. For all we know, he's the one that's asked Cyrus to put himself at risk."

"For the stupid bloody Order?" Sirius asked.

"Probably."

"I'm really sorry, Ellie, I didn't mean to break the news to you like that, I thought you might have known." Lily bowed her head, but the beautiful girl just handed her back the newspaper with a kind smile.

"Don't be, you had no idea. In fact, if you hadn't said anything, I probably wouldn't have known." She picked at her fingernails restlessly as her eyes went blank for a moment. Everyone waited for her to say something else, spit viscous words about the Ministry or curse the Daily Prophet, but her expression was just empty before she spoke again, "He's never been a violent man. Godric knows he has a temper sometimes, but he wouldn't just attack people because they were trying to get him to leave."

"They make crap up so that people will read it." James tried to soothe, but his words weren't very helpful.

"After what they wrote about me when mum died, about how I was close to a psychotic break... I'm just fed up with our business being splashed on the paper. They paint us out to be these freaks who can't control themselves, who are dangerous and possess too much magical ability for our own good. It makes me sick. And if that's not enough, the whole school will revel in the fact that there's new drama to discuss about this morning. I don't want any of it. People should learn to stick their fucking heads in the sand."

"I'll hex anyone that says anything." James replied solemnly, giving her a tight squeeze, "For my own reputation too, of course. I may even have to start lowering my voice when I talk so people don't think I'm still prepubescent after my screams."

"Trust you to be more bothered about what people think of you than the fact my dad's lost his job."

James wasn't being insensitive, he was as furious as Ellie was, as well as upset for the man he saw as a second father. But right now, the beautiful girl needed to smile, so that's what he'd endeavour to do. Clearing his throat dramatically, he prepared to speak with an excessively low pitch.

"What do you think, Evans?" James wiggled his eyebrows at his favourite red head, surprised when Lily actually started chuckling.

"I think you sound like a poor imitation of Hagrid."

"Are you into that?"

"Most definitely not."

"Maybe it'll grow on you."

James winked, running a hand through his hair as his heart rate sped up. He wasn't sure Lily Evans had ever spoken with him this way, her lips curled up into a smile and her tone amused. Usually, she was laughing at his expense, this time she was laughing with him.

"I'm not so sure about that, James, but I'm glad you're feeling better." And with a swoosh of red hair, she was striding off down the corridor, Marmalade announcing his own leave with a hiss.

Left stunned, the messy haired boy gazed after her like he was seeing her with completely new eyes. The others all just snorted.        

"Did- Did she call me..." He stuttered, brain processing the moment slowly, "Evans called me James."  

"Twice, Prongs." Ellie patted his arm still slung around her shoulders, snapping him out of his daze.

"I always knew she loved me." He smirked cockily.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 3K 45
"Y/n, I will always be here for you." "Promise?" "I promise." ~*𓃦*~ Going to Hogwarts was something Y/n Black had been looking forward to her ent...
688K 16.5K 85
Diana Faye Lupin The twin Sister of Remus Lupin. The only girl who's immune to a Certain boy's flirtirous actions. The last girl you'd expect to fall...
Ophelia By R.J.L

Fanfiction

86 12 11
****DISCONTINUED**** A girl who you think you know by her beautiful but intimidating appearance but you really do not at all. She could be the death...
820K 20K 116
𝓛𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽 𝓤𝓹 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓓𝓪𝓻𝓴𝓷𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓜𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓲𝓬𝓲𝓪 𝓐𝓶𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓪 𝓓𝓮 𝓜𝓪𝓻𝓽𝓮𝓵. The brightest and sweetest witch in her year. She could neve...