THIN ICE |BOOK I |BWWM|

By the_euphoriaaa

After a failed marriage with the Underboss of one of the most powerful crime families, Julia Nicolette Manisc... More

β€’COPYRIGHTβ€’
β€’AUTHOR'S NOTEβ€’
β€’CHARATERSβ€’
β€’α΄˜Κ€α΄ΚŸα΄Ι’α΄œα΄‡β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 1β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 2β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 2, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› IIβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 3β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 4β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 5β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 6β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 7β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 8β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 9β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 10β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 11β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 12β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 13β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 14β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 15β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 16β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 17β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 18β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 20β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 21β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 22β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 23β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 24, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› Iβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 24, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› IIβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 25β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 26, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› Iβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 26, α΄˜α΄€Κ€α΄› IIβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 27β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 28β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 29β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 30β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 31β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 32β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 33β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 34β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 35β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 36β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 37β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 38β€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 39 - α΄›Κœα΄€Ι΄α΄‹ Κα΄α΄œβ€’
β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 40 - Q&Aβ€’

β€’α΄„Κœα΄€α΄˜α΄›α΄‡Κ€ 19β€’

547 54 7
By the_euphoriaaa

•OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA•

Julia's POV

Flavors of red bell peppers and onions exploded in my mouth as I took another bite of vegetarian lasagna.

"I'm gonna be honest Aunt Sonia, I didn't think I'd like this."

"Yeah Mamma, going to be a minute before I get used to these new recipes." Olivia studied the food on her fork before taking another sniff and eating it.

Uncle Stef smiled at Nicolai as his cheeks puffed out full of food.

"Nicky seems to like it."

I chuckled and brushed a loose curl from his forehead.

"Slow down Polpetta. You're gonna choke."

Nicolai chewed slowly as he tried to smile.

"Oh! I meant to ask you sweetheart, how did your session with Dr. Sullivan go today?"

I pulled a Nicolai and shoved food in my mouth, "It was um...okay." 

Uncle Stef perked up, leaning his arms over the table, "Just okay?"

"Yeah, I didn't expect it to be anything more. I haven't seen her in so long, so it's just a lot to unpack and get back on track."

Aunt Sonia rubbed circles into the middle of my shoulder.

"It's still good that you're going. Small steps, ya' know?"

"Yeah," -I nodded, my gaze floating between my plate and Sonia,- "I just need a clear mind for once."

"Mommy? Did you get the candy?"

I chuckled as I noticed Nicolai's mouth smeared with marinara sauce. I grabbed a napkin and wiped his face gently.

Last summer I took Nick to the Chinatown in Oakland for the first time. He absolutely fell in love with everything-the colors, the shops, and the murals.

We spent about two hours taking pictures in front of almost every mural we passed.

When I was going to Dr. Sullivan's office regularly, I had to bring Nicolai a few times because he wasn't feeling well. To cheer him up, I would get him some Chinese candy; and he's been in love ever since.

"Yeah, baby I got it. It's in my purse. I'll be back.

I placed a quick peck on his cheek as I pushed myself away from the table and headed down the hallway.

I chilled in Olivia's room the moment I got home tonight and ended up leaving all my stuff there before dinner. As I pushed the door open, I found my purse lying beside her bed.

"Ah, there you are."

I scooped my bag from the floor as a faint familiar ringtone sounded. The burner phone that Olivia had been letting me borrow had a default ringtone, but what I was hearing was my old phone's ring. The one I thought I lost. My feet stopped in their tracks. Maybe I was just hearing music from the street below.

The longer I held my position, the louder the ring sounded. Cautiously, I tipped to the edge of Olivia's bed and dropped to my knees. Under the bed was clear, but light still illuminated the carpet. I ran my hand under the frame, finally feeling the device taped to the bed.

"I know you lying...."

My eyes squinted as the blue light blurred my vision, showing Andres' name across the screen.

"....Andres?" I whispered, keeping my body low to the floor.

"Julia. We need to talk." -His tone was coarse as if I was in deep trouble- "I've been trying to call you for a week."

"I've been trying since you left us at my mom's. You left in the night like a side chick."

"Some stuff came up with a shipment. Why haven't you been answering me? You didn't even text me back!" 

"I lost- well I thought I lost my phone, but Olivia had it. I don't know why she-"

"The same phone I got you that we use to stay connected and keeps you out of danger? That phone?"

The way Andres cut my words at their knees added to his fierce tone and thickening accent forcing me back to the days with my ex. If I hadn't known it was actually Andres, I would have thought I was speaking to his brother.

"Why are you being like this? I just told you what happened and you're acting like I was purposely ignoring you!"

"It's not about you 'ignoring me' Julia! I got that phone as protection. It helps me keep track of you and keeps you up with Nicky. What've you been using?"

"A burner from Liv." 

"E cosa pensi che avrei fatto se fossi sparito con quella merda?" His temper kicked up a few notches.

It had been a minute since I'd had to translate Italian thrown at me that fast, my ears barely caught it.

"What?"

"And what...do you think...I was gonna do...if you went missing with that phone?" He bit into each word.

"It's not like you wouldn't be able to
trace it Andres."

"Julia, are you even hearing yourself!? D'you even know all the stops I'd have to pull to trace that phone? I'd blow your cover!"

My chest clenched as all the anxiety from this week and my reopened wound pain from therapy broke through forcing my aching heart to burst with tears.

"I didn't think it'd be that big an issue Andres. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I lost my phone and I'm sorry I made you worry." A sharp sob pushed past my lips.

There was a deafening silence, leaving my tears to fall uncomforted. My body rose from the floor as I roughly wiped my face with the back of my hand.

I hated crying. Nothing about it set well with me- not the wet face, the dripping nose, the squeakiness of my voice, or the overall vulnerability that came with it.

A barely audible sigh passed through the receiver.

"Listen," -Andres softened- "I didn't call to argue. I was just worried, kay? It's been rough over here since- since Pops died. Everything's still fresh."

"I heard. I wish I could have been there for you."

"Who told you."

As much as I wanted to believe that statement was a question, the edge in Andres' voice convinced me otherwise.

If Andres didn't know, then maybe Gianni already snitched. But then...wouldn't Andres know too? Maybe not...I don't know.

"Julia?" An impatient Andres called out.

"G-Gianni told me."

"Hmm.. so you saw my cousin." His words and calm demeanor baited.

Back when Andres and I didn't get along and he didn't trust me, he'd fire these questions at me that he already knew the answer to.

He was trying to catch me in a lie.

"Yes. I saw him last night."

"Where?"

I didn't like going to Dr. Sullivan's office, but today she actually taught me something that didn't make me want to go home and down a pint of scotch.

"Focus on what you CAN control."

I couldn't control Andres, his leading questions or even the fact that he was angry with me, but I could choose not to answer the way he wanted. I could choose not to play his game.

"You already know where. Gianni must've told you, didn't he?" My jaw clenched, grinding my teeth together.

Silence.

"So it's true?" His tone dimmed.

"Depends."

"On what?"

"If Gianni told you the truth." I strolled to Olivia's door, locking it and sat on the floor against the edge of the bed.

"Why would he lie?"

"Why wouldn't he? He made it pretty clear that he doesn't trust me anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if he lied to try and turn you against me."

"So far the only one that's lied to me is you Jules."

My lip curled at hearing that bitter truth. I had promised to be honest in everything through this whole ordeal, and I had broken that promise twice. The fact that Andres was right was beginning to eat at me. The only way this worked is if I was honest. He couldn't protect us if I lying.

But what Olivia said ran on a loop. 

"...even I'm not stupid enough to think that he'll choose you over his family."

"Ho solo bisogno che tu mi dica la verità, ok?(I just need you to tell me the truth, okay?). Are you involved with a Russo?"

I fiddled with my hands, picking the last bit of blue polish off.

"No. I promise."

Technically I wasn't. It was just one night and nothing happened.

I knew Andres, I trusted him. Matias was new and since he'd come up, everything's been....out of control. I didn't want that anymore. I'd deal with Olivia later, but I had to handle what I could control now.

Matias and I were done.

A:N: I'm a day early again. Haha.

It was so weird seeing Andres get that pissed at Julia. I slick think she deserved it tho.

Btw if you'd like to read my first showcase interview I did about Thin Ice. Check the link below! 😀

https://www.wattpad.com/1098516182-meet-the-authors-showcase-edition-volume-2-est-6-5
utm_source=web&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share_reading

Okay byeeeeee!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.7K 1.9K 72
[Book 1] Stella and her father had no choice but to move in with her Uncle Timo, in New York, in refuge, after witnessing her mom's murder, as a chil...
9.9K 413 28
"The monsters under my bed used to scare me and I used to seek refuge with people but now I know. The monsters are not actually under my bed, it's th...
8.1M 227K 50
[COMPLETE] [MATURE] ❝Revenge is a bitch, I'll make it my bitch. ❞ Mars Matthews was anything but innocent. She was sarcastic, talkative, some even sa...
46.2K 1.8K 24
-𝐀 πŒπ€π…πˆπ€ π‘πŽπŒπ€ππ‚π„- ~𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐀 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐑𝐞 πˆπ‹π‹πˆπ‚πˆπ“ π’π„π‘πˆπ„π’~ [CAN BE READ AS STANDALONES] ~β€’~ 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐀 π‘π”π’π’πŽ A...