Fallout 4: AR

By Tyrrlin

When Anne receives a prototype Pip-Boy for the special edition of Fallout 4 VR, she is unexpectedly transport... More

1. Special Edition
2. Boston?
3. Goodneighbor
4. Hancock and MacCready
5. Lessons in Lockpicking
6. Lessons in Marksmanship
7. The Third Rail
8. The Rexford
9. First Blood
10. The Memory Den
11. Conversation
12. Baby Steps
13. Diamond City
14. Valentine
15. The Dugout Inn
16. The Long Road Ahead
17. Affinity
18. Land Navigation
19. Concord
20. Sanctuary
21. Lessons in Compassion
22. Cambridge
23. ArcJet
24. Brotherhood of Steel
25. Hangman
26. A Day Off
27. Duncan
28. MedTek
29. The Cure
30. Complications
31. Return to Goodneighbor
32. The Freedom Trail
33. The Railroad
34. Revelations
35. Lessons in Distraction
36. Lessons in Love
37. Journey to the Prydwen
38. Elder Maxson
39. Further Examinations
40. Tentative Alliance
41. Earning Trust
42. Unexpected Rescue
43. Lessons in Sniping
44. Wounded
45. Supernatural Science
46. Song Lyrics
47. Letters from Home
48. Sea and Sky
49. Courser Hunting
50. Rogue Asset
51. The Institute
52. Escape
53. Lessons in Trust
54. Straight Talk
55. Diversion
56. Going Dark
57. Lessons in Ethics
58. Third Time's the Charm
59. Conflicted
60. Sanctuary Lost
61. Bug Bites
62. "He Ain't Heavy"
63. Venom Fever
64. Say Something
65. Contract Mercenary
66. And the Walls Came Tumbling Down
67. Planning for the Future
68. Standoff
69. On the Road Again
70. Skill Up
71. Lessons in Bargaining
73. No Plan Survives...
74. ...Contact with the Enemy
75. Captives
76. Lessons in Consequences
77. Contract Completion
78. Planting Roots
79. Mass (Con)Fusion
80. Aftermath
81. Coffee Talk
82. Call to Arms
83. Building the Tripod
84. Overwhelming Power
85. Returning Home

72: First Date

254 12 17
By Tyrrlin

It was nearly dusk when I left the Old State House. Hancock and I had spent the rest of the afternoon bargaining and drawing up rough plans for the building MacCready and I were going to own once we returned. He also briefly told me about our upcoming mission, but refused to give further details until we were ready to leave. It was directly related to the kidnappings and the file we had brought from Nick Valentine, but that was all I knew.

My pack was significantly lighter, and so were my spirits. All right, I think I managed to give a good accounting for myself in there. MacCready would have been able to haggle for the moon and stars I bet, but I did the best I could, and I think Hancock is good for his end of the deal. It took every cap I had, but we should be set.

A place. A real place to stay! I did a happy little shuffle-step in the center of the square between the State House and the Rexford. A few of the idle drifters hanging around an open cooking fire smiled and waved. One stood up to approach me. His smile was a little too broad for my comfort, and he looked me up and down in a manner that had me reaching for the holster on my leg. Not again.

"Watch it, Louie," called one of the Neighborhood Watch flanking the doors to the State House. "That's MacCready's girl. If she doesn't teach you to keep your hands to yourself, he certainly will."

The aforementioned Louie blanched, his smile evaporating instantly. "MacCready? I-uh," he stammered, holding his hands up and taking a step back. "I'll just go check on the stew. Sorry, lady!" He turned around and practically scampered away.

"Thanks!" I called quietly to the Watch. Both men, one human, one Ghoul, nodded in acknowledgment.

"I know you can handle yourself, lady," the Ghoul rumbled in a slightly amused tone. "Saw what happened last time someone tried something. Figured Louie might appreciate a warning more than castration-by-pistol." His companion looked startled, and I noticed he had shifted to instinctively try and cross his legs at the description. The pose wasn't possible while standing, and the man soon resumed his original stance, trying to make the move look natural. I chuckled to myself and headed into the Rexford.

Clair barely looked up. "MacCready's already upstairs- the usual spot."

MacCready was indeed in the room, freshly cleaned up and wrapped in a bath towel while carefully running his combat knife across his face, shaving. "There you are!" he called teasingly. "Thought you forgot about me."

"Never," I assured him, tossing my empty pack onto the couch. "Since you did such a wonderful job haggling for the building, I figured I'd try my hand at bargaining for some improvements while we're on the road. Got some plans drawn up with Hancock while you were with Daisy. Took every cap I had, but I think we'll have a good setup in the end."

"Fine by me. I trust you." He ran his fingers along his jawline, feeling for any spots he may have missed. "The neighborhood gossip chain is in full force by the way. The minute you took my hand inside the gate, all of Goodneighbor caught on to our relationship. So," he turned to face me with a twinkle in his eyes. "You want the good news or the bad news?"

I rolled my eyes. Small towns, what can you do? "Uhh, give me the bad news first."

"This will be the last shower you get for a while." He gestured for me to proceed to the bathroom, grabbing a small bundle from his pack. "Rufus, the local handyman, fixed 'em up finally."

The change of subject caught me flat-footed for a moment. So the Rexford had showers after all. They just weren't working before. "And the good news?"

"Two words: Hot water." He grinned at my delighted peal of laughter and handed me the bundle. "Here. Daisy wanted me to give this to you. I think it's an outfit or something. She wouldn't let me open it, though."

"Ooh," I crooned, careful not to smudge the bundle with my dirty fingers. "This is perfect. Hancock invited us to join him for dinner in The Third Rail, too."

"I know. Probably to discuss our upcoming mission." He frowned. "Oh well. I was hoping to have you all to myself tonight."

"Learn to anticipate, my dear sniper," I teased, heading into the bathroom and the promised hot shower. "It builds character!"

The water was perfect; hot and plentiful, and I was able to scrub away the gunk and blood from our delay at the "toll road". Feeling completely clean and refreshed, I opened the bundle of cloth to find a cute moss green dress and low shoes with elastic ties to match. A short note and a tiny glass vial was tucked into the folds. "Every girl likes to feel pretty now and again. You'll knock his socks off! -Daisy". I chuckled and wiped away an incipient tear from my eye. I'm going to have to find a way to thank her.

The dress was thankfully made from a stretchy fabric. I was a bit more robust than the other females I had seen and the fit around my torso left little to the imagination, but Daisy had also included a light cream-colored shawl with a pattern of tiny blue flowers that softened the overall impression and complemented the dress. The tiny vial proved to be perfume; only a few drops, and probably a sample scrounged from who-knows-where, but it smelled nice and completed my feminine transformation. Giving my damp hair a quick tousling with my fingers to style the curls, I finally left the steam-filled bathroom.

MacCready was dressed in a dark gray suit and black dress shoes, and was adjusting his collar in the dusty mirror when he caught sight of me. He turned around, and both of us were struck speechless for a long moment, taking in the vision of our respective selves. Oh my, he cleans up very nicely, was the only coherent thought that made it to my conscious mind. His hair had been trimmed and tamed by Daisy's clever hand, and he had scrubbed himself to within an inch of his life, if the glowing flush on his skin was any indication. I am a lucky woman.

He stared, looking me up and down. When his eyes lingered on the low cut bodice (and how closely it hugged my torso), a slight frown creased his brows and I felt my face heat up. "Uhh," I stammered, slightly embarrassed. "I'm not quite as slender as your average Wastelander..." Mac shook his head sharply and I stammered to a halt.

"Skeletal, you mean." He smiled suddenly, eyes twinkling a little in amusement. "I like your body, angel. You think I wanna snuggle up with a bag of bones? Nu-uh! You're perfect; soft and cuddly, and kick-ass- err, butt with a rifle."

"I'm not that good," I protested, blushing at the compliment.

"You're better than you give yourself credit for." He stalked around me, inspecting the view. "Hancock is going to be so jealous." A light frown teased the corner of his mouth. "But, there's just... hmm, something missing."

"There is?" I wondered what he saw that I didn't.

He stood there, stroking his goatee in a thoughtful pose. "Yeah." He stepped in close behind me. "Close your eyes." The moment I complied, I felt him brush his fingers gently across the back of my neck as a light thread teased my collarbones. He fumbled for a moment, then grasped my shoulders to lead me towards the mirror. "There, that looks better." At the same time, he placed a small box in my hand.

"Oh!" Twinkling like a minuscule star, a simple gold-and-diamond pendant graced my neck. "Ohh." I glanced down at the box in my hand to find it held a matching pair of teardrop hook earrings. It was my turn to fumble as I reverently put them on. "Oh RJ, thank you!"

He leaned in close to my neck, pretending to inspect my piercings. "You're welcome, angel. It was the prettiest of the haul from that safe, and I thought a perfect match for you." He breathed in suddenly, nuzzling the curve of my throat. "You smell good." A light kiss and the tickle of his facial hair had me shivering in pleasure. "Maybe we should just stay in tonight," he suggested flirtatiously. "I don't know if I want to share you, looking so beautiful."

"The feeling is mutual," I flirted back. "Don't tempt me, dear sniper of mine."

MacCready chuckled and held out his arm in escort. "On the other hand, Hancock promised an edible meal this time. Will you go to dinner with me?"

"Robert Joseph MacCready, are you asking me out on a date?" I laughed, taking his arm.

He blinked. "I suppose I am. Long overdue." Tucking my arm against his side, we made our leisurely way downstairs and across the square.

Dinner in The Third Rail was every bit as edible as promised- grilled brahmin steaks served with mashed tatos, purified water for me, and baked mutfruit tarts for dessert. Hancock was there with Fahrenheit; the mayor decked out in his usual red velvet coat and tricorner hat, freshly cleaned. Fahrenheit even looked nice in a clean set of leather armor, her flamethrower discreetly stowed by her feet for the meal.

"For the new shopkeepers," was all the explanation Hancock would offer, but I had the sneaking suspicion that he and Daisy had cooked up this cordial evening to celebrate our pairing off. He kept the conversation light, mostly gossip and news from around the area, getting us up to speed on doings around Boston. More than once I caught his gaze, but he would merely smile and gesture to my outfit. "Looking good, Sunshine."

The sound of Magnolia beginning her first set accompanied our dessert, and Hancock was soon nodding his head along to the beat. He kept glancing at MacCready in a meaningful way until my partner's curiosity finally got the better of him. "What is it, Hancock?"

"Ya gonna ask her to dance, or am I going to have to show your date a good time?" A sultry grin creased the Ghoul's face and he gave me a wink out of the corner of his eye. Fahrenheit sighed and flipped her hair out of her face. "Pity; such a pretty girl sittin' there all dressed up and no one to dance with."

MacCready stiffened, glaring. "Oh no you don't," he protested. "Anne is my date. You keep your wandering hands to yourself. Where are your regular girls, anyway? Whatstheirnames- Mona and..." He peered around the bar area, as if conjuring them up. I suspected he was desperately trying to change the subject.

Hancock narrowed his eyes. "Trudy. Long story. One that I'm hoping you'll be able to help with the ending. But that's another discussion." In a mercurial change of mood, the Ghoul rose to his feet, offering me his hand. "Care to dance, Sunshine? I believe your partner is too embarrassed to. I'll be happy to fill in for him."

I looked at the extended hand, then at my partner, then at Hancock directly. MacCready slouched down in his chair, pointedly grabbing his drink. "Go ahead if you want." Male pride at its finest.

I gave Hancock a little smile. "I would love to dance, Mayor Hancock." Rising to my feet, I leaned over to brush my lips against MacCready's ear. "I'd rather dance with you. Why do you care what other people think? I wouldn't," I murmured quietly, repeating what he said to me about my singing. He started a little, blinking thoughtfully, but by then Hancock was already leading me to the dance floor.

I had no illusions about my ability to dance, just like my singing. Hancock was quite light on his feet, and more than made up for my lack of skill. Magnolia was in good form, singing not only her own songs, but also covering several tunes that must have been popular in the days before the bombs fell. With Goodneighbor's mayor cutting a rug in the tiny space set aside for dancing, soon other residents joined in. They, like me, mostly just swayed to the beat, but the general atmosphere was one of recreation and fun.

I was thoroughly enjoying myself, a rare night to merely smile and enjoy the antics of a not-quite-sober dance partner. After a few faster songs, Magnolia slowed things down with a ballad. Hancock and I had barely begun to dance together when I felt a tap on my shoulder. "May I cut in?" A frown etched across my partner's brows as he stood there, almost daring anyone to comment at his presence on the dance floor.

Black eyes crinkled up in merriment. "Sure thing, brother. She's all yours." Hancock stepped aside to let MacCready take over.

The moment our hands touched, nothing else existed aside from him and the music. MacCready may not have been particularly tall, a few inches taller than me, but he was the perfect height for dancing. His blue eyes glittered as he gazed at me. "I don't care what they think," he murmured rebelliously, and I rested my head against his shoulder. His arm came around my waist to pull me against him as we swayed to the melody. "I love being close to you."

I danced with MacCready for the rest of the evening, barely noticing when or even if anyone else joined us on the floor. Nothing mattered to me but the feel of his lithe body against mine, his arm around my waist, and the warm scent of his skin when I pressed against him. He never smiled, and his eyes were constantly scanning the room, maintaining his 'professional' image no doubt, but his hand in mine and the gentle sway of our dancing was all the reassurance I needed. His frequent tiny kisses, stolen when he thought no one was looking, promised a more intimate conclusion to the evening when we returned to the Rexford. It was a wonderful first date, however late in our relationship it happened, and I was more than happy to anticipate many, many more evenings spent with my partner, my friend, my love.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 5K 61
You seem to have trouble with men-- you don't know why but they seem to cheat on you. On a normal morning day, instead of staying at home-- eating aw...
184 1 30
Everything's been taken from me. My home. My wife. I didn't expect to get frozen and wake up two hundred years in the future. But now... someone's t...
6.8K 373 10
After finishing what she set out to do, the Sole Survivor sends a gift to each of the companions, one last goodbye. Gives an ending to the game and e...
46.4K 3K 102
[COMPLETED] NaNoWriMo 2015 - "My heart skips a beat and all the careful precautions and burned photographs and the pretense of safety and normalc...