Backseat Driver (Wilkins Brot...

By JSmith_Writes

A player, a flirt, a man-whore. Jasper Wilkins would hardly disagree with any of these ways to describe him b... More

Story Introduction
Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Author's Closing

Chapter 39

2.2K 200 13
By JSmith_Writes

JASPER

“You’re pacing.” I glare over at Tate who is sitting comfortably, sipping on what I’m sure is a cocktail of some sort, like there is no care in the world. I flip him off and pull out my phone to check the time again. “What’s wrong, Jas? You afraid she’s going to run on you?”

“What the fuck. Tate? Why would you say that?”

He has the audacity to laugh while standing up and crossing the room to where I was standing. He slaps his free hand on my shoulder and then holds up the glass to me, “Take a drink.”

“I’m not going to drink whatever crazy concoction you already had the bartender make. If I smell like alcohol when I get up there, Landry might kick my ass right there at the alter.”

“Although that is true, you’re not going to get drunk. Just have a drink and let it calm your nerves a bit. If you’re really worried, Bellamy packed mouthwash into the bag she gave me this morning.”

“Mouthwash?”

“I guess it was part of the bachelor bag she saw on Pinterest or something. I don’t know. Probably a good idea to check your breath regardless. You don’t want to have stank-ass breath when you see your bride for the first time, huh?”

“Why in the world did I pick you to be my best man?”

“I’m not entirely sure.”

“You’re supposed to be helping me calm down and making me less anxious and all you’re doing is cracking jokes and trying to get me drunk.”

“I’m not trying to get you drunk. I’m just saying that you’re nervous as fuck right now and maybe a drink would help you focus a bit. If you don’t want it, I’ll keep drinking it just fine. I’ve literally never seen you like this, it is insane.”

I grab the glass from him and drink the entire thing in one gulp. I waited for the burn that never came so I handed back the class with a questionable look on my face, “Was that Coke?”

He laughs, setting the glass on the nearby table, “Yeah, I tried to get a rum and Coke, but the bartender said he couldn’t start serving alcohol until cocktail hour.”

“How the hell was Coke supposed to help me?”

“To be honest, I didn’t think you were going to take it so I didn’t think it would matter.” He places both hands on my shoulder and I look up to my brother, “Jasper, You love Landry and she loves you. I don’t know how you’re feeling and I won’t pretend to understand what this moment means for you, but today is the day that you get to tell the love of your life that you’re going to be hers forever. The two of you are meant for each other in every way possible, there is no reason to be nervous or anxious. I’ve never seen two people more meant to be married and I’m even talking about Mav and Gruff in that category.”

“You mean it?”

“Yes. I won’t even crack a joke this time. What the two of you have is special and words don’t come close to describing it. I’m so happy for you and I know that today is going to be a perfect day.”

“Thanks for being my best man, Tate.”

“I’d say anytime, but this is a one-time deal. If you fuck this up with Landry, most of us will be disowning you.”

“Good to know. If I mess it up I deserve to be disowned.”

Thirty minutes later, Tate and I were standing in front of the ceremony site at the Paseo with the Superstition Mountains in the backdrop. The chairs were set in two sections, but we had them put up a cutesy sign about picking a seat and not a side. Almost everybody that we were inviting today knew us both. I smiled at my mom and Jetson who were sitting in the front row. She was already crying, I loved my mom so much. Next to her was an empty chair that would soon be filled by Hazel and then Darren was seated at the end. 

Across the aisle, Gruff, Camila, and the kids sat with Everett sitting on Camila’s lap. He was looking dashing in his lavender onesie with suspenders and khaki pants. It closely matched my outfit for the day, yes, I wear wearing a lavender dress shirt with tan dress pants and no, I didn’t hate it at all. It was becoming my favorite color after all.

Maverick sat next to them, holding Elsie on his lap. Bellamy was Landry’s maid of honor, so she’d be standing up with us during the ceremony. In the row behind them were Hattie and Sami. The rest of the seats were filled in by long-time clients, friends, and people from the community center where Hazel and Darren lived. I couldn’t imagine putting together a better ceremony space, paying extra for the all-inclusive package was worth it.

The music began to play, a soft instrumental melody and Bellamy walked down the aisle first. She had a huge smile on her face, but I could see the evidence of recently shed tears. No doubt the two of them were having a good cry session in the back. She stopped to give me a quick kiss on the cheek before taking her place the way we had practiced earlier today. Finally, it was time to shine, the moment I have been waiting for since the day I asked Landry to marry me.

Gripping onto her mom’s arm, Landry began to walk in my direction. Her dress was unconventional, starting as an ivory color and transitioning into a lavender. It would take a special woman to pull off a gown like that and she was just that person. She made it all the way up the aisle before I could no longer hold back the tears. I wiped one away, noticing that her eyes were watering just the same. 

Taking a step forward, I hugged Hazel and she put her hands on my cheeks before giving me a kiss on the cheek. “Her father may not be able to be here today, but I know he’d be proud to give her away to a man like you.”

“Thank you, Hazel, that means the world to me.”

“Go get your bride.”

She didn’t need to say anymore, I took two more steps in Landry’s direction and held out my hand. She was shaking, so I brought her hand to my lips and kissed it. “You look spectacular.”

“Same could be said for you. Wowzers.”

Hand in hand, we stood in front of the hired minister, ready to pledge our never-ending love to each other. This was by far tied for the number one moment of my life.

-----

“I was there the very first time that Jasper and Landry met,” Bellamy began her maid of honor toast, “I don’t remember much of it because we were all really drunk, but I’m almost positive that Landry said she wanted to climb Jasper like a tree.” The guests begin to laugh and Landry turns a deep shade of crimson.

“I then recall Hattie telling her that Jasper was off-limits. I think we all should have known that would never last. I’m glad that she decided to ignore Hattie’s wishes, no offense Hattie.”

“None taken!” Hattie shouts from her table.

“The two of you are the epitome of love, basically what rom-coms are based on. I know that you’ve had a few detours in your love story, but at the end of the day you ended up where you needed to be. It has been a joy to see my best friend fall in love and I wish Landry and Jasper nothing but years upon years of happiness and joy. Cheers!”

Everybody takes a drink of their champagne or sparkling cider and the clanking of glasses begins again. I lean over and kiss my wife once again, something that I know I’ll never get tired of. Bellamy hands off the microphone to Tate and I hold my breath, hoping he doesn’t say something too inappropriate.

“When Jasper asked me to be his best man I was a little surprised. We’ve always been close growing up, but I figured he’d ask somebody like Gruff or Mav who had been married already. I’m glad he asked me though. I’m an observer by nature and since Landry has come into our lives I’ve seen all the signs of two people meant for one another. The way Landry will sit in the corner and just watch Jasper while he acts like an idiot around a group of people. The way Jasper always made sure Landry made her way home safely. The way neither of them would leave the others side when they were dealing with medical issues. It was only a matter of time before they admitted to themselves how in love they were.”

“Jasper and Landry, I am honored to be part of your love story here today and to continue to observe all those signs for the rest of your lives. You’ve been part of the family since you became Bellamy’s best friend, but welcome, officially, Landry. I love you both, to many, many years of love in the future!”

He holds up his glass and everybody cheers once again. Tate walks over to our head table and we both stand to hug him. I didn’t expect him to be so serious in his speech. I guess when it comes down to it everybody has made it clear how much they support Landry and me. I couldn’t ask for a better celebration.

With all of the speeches done and over with, the DJ starts the dance music. I’m not much of a dancer, but I’ll throw down at a wedding and I’m damn sure getting busy at my own wedding. I hold out my hand to Landry, she takes it happily and we find ourselves on the middle of the dance floor doing our best off rhythm white people dancing.

“So is there a required length of time that we have to say here?” I say to her as she suggestively rubs up against my crotch.

“Are you trying to get out of our wedding reception, Jasper?”

I spin her around and pull her up flush against my body, “Baby girl, I’m just trying to bring on the next part of the festivities, the part that includes just the two of us.”

“I’m looking forward to that part too, but we haven’t even cut our cake yet.”

“So we can’t leave yet?”

She throws her head back in laughter, “No handsome, we can’t leave yet.”

The upbeat song transitions into a slow dance and I soften my hold on Landry just a bit. She wraps her hands around my neck and rests my head against my shoulder. “I love you, Jasper Wilkins.”

“I love you, even more, Landry Wilkins.”

“I like the way that sounds.”

“Mmhmm, me too. It’ll be even better in a few months when we can say Everett Wilkins too.”

“Now that’ll be a glorious day. Thank you for making all of my dreams come true, Jas.”

I kiss the top of her head and chuckle, “Baby girl, I haven’t even started.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 6.7K 99
Hannah And her Happy Harem After spending her entire life training to become an Olympic level gymnast only to suffer one too many injuries for her bo...
299K 6.4K 52
Ethan Lane was your typical player. He was smooth, handsome, manly, successful and a total chick magnet. Women loved him and men wanted to be him. He...
147K 10.1K 43
Bellamy Buckley has dedicated her life to one thing: dance. When the twenty-five-year-old learned that there was coming back from her latest injury...
100K 3.1K 45
I don't really know what I was expecting, and it sure as hell wasn't this. Whatever this is...it's even better than I could have imagined. The myster...