Horror House Presents

By HorrorHouseStories

An anthology of short stories in various horror genres for all horror lovers. This is where I will be creatin... More

Bedlam
A Whisper in the Woods
False Hope
Judgement Day
The Letter
Behold my Sweet Revenge
Malum Mine
Sunrise on the Fields of Ypres
The Stone Circle
The Hellfire Ripper
Chasing Bigfoot
Broadwick House

Forgotten Past

4 2 0
By HorrorHouseStories

Twenty years ago, in the small village of Chatterstone near London. They pulled up around the back of the house in a white van and sat observing the house for a few minutes before they quickly decided the house was empty. They knew who owned the home, since the man who owned it was a rich banker who had recently closed the company, they both worked for. They wouldn't have normally considered robbery, but the two men had read the banker recently received a massive bonus from his bank and it was printed in a newspaper. So, after a couple of beers one night the two friends decided they would get the money they were robbed of when their company was closed by taking it from the man, they saw responsible. It didn't take them long to find the banker lived in Chatterstone and after watching his house for a month they made their plans. They picked a day when they knew he and his family would be out until late since for the past month they always spent the Saturday together and didn't return until late. So, the men put their money together and rented a van and drove to Chatterstone to rob the home.

Neither man had broken into anywhere before, but they were quick to notice the house had no bugler alarm and if they broke in through the back, they were less likely to be discovered. With a large gym bag each, they quietly climbed over the high fence and landed roughly on the grass below. It was dark and the men could hardly see where they were going but made it over to some glass sliding doors. The taller of the two tried the door, not surprised to find it was locked. Between them, with a crowbar, they managed to force the door open and slipped inside. The house was warm compared to the cold air outside. The shorter man pulled out two torches from his bag and passed one to his friend. With the beams of light scanning the rooms they looked for things to steal, searching through draws and cupboards. In one cupboard they found a collection of old wines and whiskeys. They both knew little about wine or Whiskey but with the age of bottles, they assumed they could be worth something, so they quickly placed them inside their bags and moved on. In the hallway, they found some golf clubs and decided they were worth taking, so one of the men ran them outside and dropped them over the fence where their van was parked and returned to the house.

Over the next hour, they filled their van with various items, including old books, two television, a phone and some equipment from the gym and kitchen. It's only when they make their way into the bedroom, they hear a car pull up outside. Knowing that they can't get outside they decide to hide. The tall one hid on the landing, while the shorter one hid in the master bedroom.

"Honey, honey! We have been robbed." They hear a woman shout.

"God damn it, stay here I'm going to call the police." a man shouts.

They hear someone walking around before they hear his voice again. "Damn the phone is missing. Hold on honey I will call from the phone in my office."

The men start to panic, the shorter man knows he won't be seen but he has no way of knowing where his friend was. Suddenly he heard a loud thump and the sound of something heavy falling down the stairs. The man opened the door to see his friend was holding the crowbar covered in blood. Seconds later he heard the lady scream and he knew then his friend had struck the man and probably killed him.

"Get downstairs now." the tall man shouted, before leaving his bag and running down the stairs.

In shock, He picked up his friends' bag and ran down the stairs. Each step had blood staining the cream carpet and at the bottom of the stairs was the body of the man. He was still alive but wasn't moving. Then he heard the scream again and saw his friend strike the woman, repeatedly with the crowbar before she was dead. Next to her was a child, a boy who was crying on the sofa, staring at the body of his mother.

"We need to get out of here now, let's go." the tall man shouted at his friend.

Nodding his head, the shorter man stepped over the body and pool of blood and turned to head back to the kitchen, but he couldn't move one of his legs. Looking down he saw the man he thought wasn't was out cold had a tight grip on his ankle. Slipping he dropped the bags and out of instinct alone hit the man on the side of his head repeatedly. He hit him so hard he felt his skull crushed under the impact of his heavy torch and the man let go. Now he was dead, and in a panic the two men ran out the back of the house and drove off, hoping they had got away with their crimes.

On the way home, they stopped in the woods and buried their bloody clothes, the crowbar and went home. For months they kept the belongings they had stolen hidden and kept up with the case and thought they had got away with it. It was only when the taller man tried to sell some of the jewellery that he was caught. They were both arrested and soon found themselves in court, for the murders of the family. it was then they found out there was another son who survived but they didn't care. The court case went on for months and in the end, the tall man was found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison, while the other man was let off. It only came to light that when they were in court that his paperwork had been filled out wrong and so he couldn't be tried for murder and was let off. He was given a new name; he was no longer Lee Bedford and was now Dean Doyle. He had a new life and found a new job and was soon married and had his daughter. He soon forgot about that terrible night he had left behind.

"Dad that show was terrible, thank you for wasting my Saturday night," Kara said to her father as they entered their home.

Dean Doyle was given tickets by his business partner for him and his family to attend.

"Well, you know David's daughter was in the play and wrote it, so I had to go. We don't go out much as a family anymore so I thought you would like it." Dean told his daughter, trying his best not to annoy his daughter.

"Lay off you father Kara, you know how we all have to do what we can to help him with his business."

Dean felt like he was in one of the best positions of his life. He has a big home, a business with multiple locations and strands. He owns three different cars, including a sports car and can holiday wherever and whenever he likes. Growing up he never thought he would be in the position he is in; he grew up with nothing but after that dreadful night, he turned his life around and became wealthier than he thought was possible. A lot of his success he owed to his business partner Keith who together put their money to start their first business in importing and exporting before moving into property and car sales.

Smiling John dropped his keys on the table in the hallway and hung his suit jacket in the understairs cupboard and feeling tired rubbed his hands walked into the kitchen. Picking up a glass he poured himself a whiskey before he noticed something was out of place. There was a dirty glass next to the bottle. He hadn't had a drink in days so noticed the glass was out of place. Picking it up he ran his finger in the bottom and noticed that there was some liquid left in the bottom, smelling it, he knew it was his top-shelf whiskey. The whiskey he rarely drunk and kept for special meetings and occasions, yet there was a dirty glass that showed someone had been drinking it. Kara, he thought, he didn't mind her drinking but not his expensive stuff. He opened his mouth to shout for Kara when he heard his wife shouting.

"John! John get in here now." John's wife Gina shouted it.

Confused John poured himself some more whiskey and walked through his house with his glass in hand. Pushing open the door he was shocked to see his wife and daughter sat together and both crying. It was only when he opened the door more he saw why. Standing in front of him was a man holding a shotgun pointed at his wife and daughter. The man was huge, standing about six foot two and outweighing him by at least four stones in muscle. He had short brown hair and looked very nervous. He was holding the gun with both hands and had it pointed dead centre at Kara's head.

"There's the main man himself. Mr John Doyle, businessman, father, and murderer." The man bitterly said, taking John and his family by surprise. He paused and studied John's facial expression, getting the reaction he wanted. He knew he had the right person. "I knew it was you, I just knew it! It had taken me eight years to track you down, eight years! It was only when I saw you in the newspaper last month, I found you. I would never forget your face; how could I forget your face! Ha!"

"John, what is he talking about?" Gina cried out.

"Yes, John what is he talking about? Please do let the rest of the room know. I mean I know, and you know but they don't. Come one let's get it all out in the open before I start blowing peoples brains out." The man sarcastically said, pacing backwards and forwards waving the gun around every step he took.

" I... I..."

"Spit it out John, don't say you have lost your tongue already. Or should I say, Lee Bedford!"

This just added more confusion for Gina, she had never heard the name Lee Bedford and knew nothing of her husband's past, other than what he had created to hide his true past. "My husband is called John, I don't know who Lee Bedford is, but he is not my husband. Tell him, John."

"Yes, tell me, John! Tell me how I have it all wrong, or can't you? I guess you can't tell me I am wrong."

John sighed and looked at his wife and daughter. "I am so sorry Gina; my real name is Lee Bedford."

"See that wasn't too hard, was it? Now sit down and let me tell them a story of who Lee Bedford is."

"Let them go they have nothing to do with this."

"Sit down and shut up, they have everything to do with this." John, should we say Lee reluctantly sat down in front of his wife and daughter before the man continued to tell the story of Lee Bedford.

The story he told was of a man who broke into his house with his friend when he was only seven years old. Lee and his friend then killed his parents and his brother Ricky. It went to court and his friend went down for murder, but he got let off. The paperwork was wrong when it went to court so Lee Bedford was then let off and given a new life as John Doyle. But was a day that little boy never forgot. Sitting in court when he was barely seven years old with his grandparents and seeing the faces of people who killed his family. He would never forget that day or forget those man's faces. It was only when he was sixteen years old, he made a promise on his parents grave that he would avenge their deaths and kill Lee Bedford. He spent a long time tracking down Lee, he thought he would never find him until his luck changed one day when he saw Lee was now John in a newspaper. He knew then that he could get his revenge, but the plan changed from just killing him to killing his whole family, just like he did with his family.

"Now you know the true John Doyle, and it's time for you to die." The man said, pausing to retrieve three sets of handcuffs out of his pocket before he continued. "You girl put these on your parents, now! Nice and tight."

Sacred Kara did what she was told before she was given handcuffs to put on herself. She went to sit back on the sofa but was pulled back and fell to the floor hard.

"Don't hurt her or my wife. Please don't kill them, just kill me. Please I am begging you," John pleaded.

"Oh, you are begging me, are you? Well, then I guess..."

John sighed thinking that he had got through to the man whose life he had ruined but then his heart sank when he saw the man quickly raised the gun and shot his daughter in her head. It felt like his world had slowed down. He heard the bang, saw the flash of the gun and the scream of his wife. He felt the blood and brains of his daughter splat on his face and her body slump lifelessly to the floor. Blood pooling around her lifeless body. His wife kept screaming and screaming in his ear. He wanted to reach up and wipe off the blood and brains which he knew was covering his face, but he couldn't. His hands were firmly restrained behind his back. But things for John would only get worse, as the man pulled Gina to her feet and she slipped on her daughter's blood and body as the floor was wood and allowed the blood to stay on the surface. She fell hard and the man didn't care, he just pulled her over the lifeless body of Kara and through the blood and pushed her hard to the floor.

"You see Lee it hurts doesn't it when someone takes a member of your family you care about before it's their time doesn't it huh?"

"you are mad, how could you kill her?"

"I am mad? No, I am perfectly sane, it's you who is mad. You killed my family, so you know how it feels. Let's see how you feel now."

Bang the gun went off again, blood and brains splatting all over the shooter this time. This only made him laugh as he looked down at the round hole he had blasted in Gina's head. He could see the white bone of her skull and her brains.

"Now Lee it's your turn, your turn to die, how does that make you feel? I bet you are scared; bet you want to run away and cry."

"I will not plead for my life, you have taken everything from me, but I wish you were there that night. I wish I had the chance to bash your head in. Send you to the afterlife with your spoilt rich family. You will rot in hell pig."

For a second the man looked like he was about to laugh before his face turned to one of anger. Reloading both barrels of his gun he walked over to Lee and levelled the gun with his forehead.

"See you in hell, you bastard." With that said he pulled the trigger, blowing Lee's brain out across the room.

Not quite finished he levelled the gun at the lifeless body and shot the man in the privates, only to add insult to the act. But he wasn't quite over, he had one more act follow. Loading his gun for the last time he took a seat and looked over the lifeless family he had just killed and smiled.

"I am coming mum" He murmured, his last words on earth

Smiling he pulled the trigger and blew his own brains out, killing himself instantly and it was over, he had his revenge and still had a smile on his face when the police discovered the carnage he had caused. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164 2 4
An ongoing collection of short stories with different genres. I am doing this for the first time. The short stories are ongoing, and I will keep publ...
216 11 32
Just writing short stories while using this prompt
86 3 25
A small book filled with short stories. Mainly horror or at least a bit scary, but there will be some that aren't. Some will be just one chapter, som...
801 61 13
In Late Victorian Era, London, England has become the feeding grounds for the creatures of the night. Many believe these monsters to be myths and leg...