The Boy Who Made Flowers Sing

Av popgirl9021

After her father suddenly passes away from cancer, Elena is thrust into a vicious cycle of drug addiction. Or... Mer

Disclaimer and Notes
Dedication
Characters
Prologue
1 | A Rhythmic Melancholy
2 | Don't Go
3 | Fading
4 | Dr. Jennette
5 | Beggars Can Be Choosers
6 | Oda
7 | The Old City
8 | Anna
9 | Isla de Flos
10 | Andreas
11 | Rain
12 | Monster
13 | Bitter Powder
14 | Melissa
15 | Rebirth
16 | Roses and Thorns
17 | Valley of Happiness
18 | Papa Bois
19 | Falling
20 | Tinted Catastrophe
21 | Glowing Lagoons
22 | Father
23 | Sunrise
24 | Where Soil and Sand Meet
25 | Fog
26 | Fate
28 | Tarence
29 | Changes
30 | Kennedy
31 | Carson
32 | OD
33 | Mother
34 | Lucio
35 | Six Feet
36 | Thorns
37 | Phase 2
38 | A New Start
39 | Realization
40 | Too High
41 | Onwards and Upwards
42 | Winning
43 | Highs and Lows
44 | Farewell
45 | Syria
46 | The Orphanage
47 | Mustafa
48 | Fatima
49 | The Beginning
50 | No Mercy
51 | Reunion
52 | On The Brink
53 | Zakir
54 | A Safer Place
55 | I Hold You
56 | Abba
57 | Maqbara
58 | How Much More?
59 | Acceptance
60 | I Got You
61 | I'm Tired of Saying Goodbye
Thank You :)

27 | Leaving

10 0 0
Av popgirl9021

Elena decided to visit Oda. Miguel had insisted that he pick her up and bring her there, but Elena had won their hearty argument this time. As Elena rode over to their home, she pulled out the photo that she and Andreas had taken. She smiled when she saw that Andreas hadn't looked into the camera when he snapped the photo, but was actually looking at her. 

Sometimes, everything seemed like a dream. The entire trip seemed like she was having a dream and would wake up at any moment now. She pulled up to the neighborhood that Oda and Miguel belonged to. They had a small farm and a very humble home. The most striking element was the flowers that wound around the house. It looked old but cozy. 

Elena walked up the gravel pathway and the grey, round stones that surrounded it on either side. An eroding white fountain was in the front yard and a small circular window looked out to the colourful garden. Elena saw a cat looking at her apprehensively from the corner of the house. It meowed and carefully approached her. Elena petted its soft, black fur and the cat gladly accepted her affection, rubbing its head against Elena's palm. She stood up and knocked on the rusty, white door. She heard some clamoring inside and a momentary pause. She heard the lock open and a young man stood before her.

"Elena!" Miguel greeted her as he ushered her inside. "Welcome!"

"Thank you," Elena smiled at him.

She removed her shoes and stepped onto the wooden, creaky floor. A rocking chair was placed in the living room as well as two aqua-coloured sofas that were perpendicular to each other. Souvenirs from all over the world found themselves in every nook and cranny. Porcelain decor, fragile china, statues of Buddha, landmark magnets, pots and vases, and other artifacts made the place look like a museum. To the left was a cozy kitchen with a rectangular, wooden dining table right next to it. The cat she had seen earlier meowed and brushed past her.

Miguel chuckled. "Seems like Niro likes you. Please, take a seat."

Elena dragged her suitcase to the side and sat in the aqua loveseat and folded her arms. She looked at the floral pattern on the Matryoshka dolls on the chestnut-coloured shelf. Miguel sat across from her on the other sofa and smiled.

"Oda will be here shortly," He told her. "She's just in the garden."

Elena nodded her head.

"Can I get you something?" Miguel asked. "Maybe some water?"

"That'd be great," Elena said.

Miguel walked over to the kitchen which was only a couple of feet away. He came back with a glass of water and a bowl of oatmeal cookies and set both things on the glass table.

"Thanks," Elena said.

"How were your travels?" He asked as she took a large sip of the water.

"They were great," Elena said, putting the glass back down on the table. "I got to see the Old City and took a tour of Isla de Flos. It was spectacular."

"Isla de Flos?" Miguel asked, intrigued.

Elena heard someone else's footsteps approaching from down the hallway between the living room and kitchen.

"Elena!" Said a familiar voice from around the corner.

Oda appeared with a walking stick, slowly making her way towards her. Elena got up and hugged her tight.

"It's so good to see you!" Elena exclaimed.

"Likewise," Oda said as she smiled and sat down beside Miguel. "Sorry to keep you waiting, dear. I was tending to my garden."

"No worries," Elena smiled.

She was grateful to be in Oda's presence.

"Miguel," Oda said. "Could you go to the garden and water the plants? I forgot to do all of them in the hurry that I was in."

Miguel nodded and disappeared around the corner. "See you, Elena."

Elena smiled at him as he left.

"So," The old lady rubbed her elbows. "Did you have any trouble getting here?"

Elena shook her head.

"Oda," Elena said. "I came here to thank you."

Oda frowned. "What for, dear?"

"What you said to me and what you taught me the night I came here, it's like I kept seeing signs everywhere. It might be silly, but I think they really were meant for me."

"Well, of course, they were," Oda grinned. "Set out for you by God himself. I didn't do anything."

"I met a boy," Elena said. "He was my tour guide and he reminds me so much of you. So wise beyond his years."

"Andreas?" Oda asked, looking up at her.

"Yes," Elena's eyes widened. "How'd you know?"

"He's my grandson."

No wonder he looks like Miguel, Elena thought.

"Well, it makes sense," Elena smiled. "The way he spoke was quite admirable and wise. He has a wonderful grandmother."

Oda nodded in appreciation. "Thank you, dear."

She folded her grass-stained hands in her lap and looked at her. "Do you believe in fate, Elena?"

Elena stopped and stared at Oda's smile. "I guess I do now. Not sure that I did before, though."

"There were signs before too. In fact, from the moment we are born, God always sends his signs to us in everything around us," Oda said. "But sometimes, we are so blinded by our problems that we forget to look around ourselves."

The old woman smiled at her through her wrinkly, sun-kissed skin. "Are you afraid?"

Elena slowly nodded her head. "I'm afraid I'll...Fail. Like I'll lose everything."

Elena looked at the little straw hut sculpture on the side table remembering the island. She thought about Andreas talking to his new set of hikers, smiling and laughing, his beautiful green eyes lighting up underneath the sun. With Andreas, she never felt afraid. 

Oda stood up slowly and grabbed her walking stick.

"Come with me," She told Elena.

She followed Oda down the hall and was led to a beautiful greenhouse in Oda's backyard. The woman opened the door for her and Elena saw Miguel smiling up at her. He had gardening gloves on as he watered the aloe vera plants. The greenhouse was like walking into the valley of flowers again from the hiking trip. It was as if Oda had brought a sliver of it to her home. Elena gasped when she saw the place. The scent of the flowers alone brought with it the feeling of the rising sun. A beautiful, monarch butterfly flew from one daisy to another. Elena found it curious that there were geodes in some of the pots. She pulled out hers from the pocket of her pants and held it up to one of the many sun rays. The place felt enchanted. Oda watched Elena's expression of awe as she ran her fingers across the petals of the lilies.

"Elena, there is nothing to be afraid of, dear. You can take anything and turn it beautiful, now that you see through unfiltered eyes. Listen carefully to the wind; it'll guide you to where you need to be," Oda said, her beady eyes squinting up at her as she cupped Elena's chin in a motherly gesture. 

Elena smiled at Oda and brought the old lady into a hug.

After bidding them goodbye, Elena got into a taxi and took off for the airport. 

As the plane reached higher altitudes, Elena tried to spot Isla de Flos before the clouds covered up too much.

Goodbye Andreas, Elena thought and sadly smiled to herself.

When she was tired enough, she fell asleep against the window, her memories of Colombia playing in her mind like a movie.

******

Andreas squinted towards the sun as he and Diego led another group of hikers deeper into their journey. He heard a whirring sound in the sky as a plane flew above them. 

Goodbye Elena, He thought to himself, closing his eyes and lifting his head towards the sky. Until next time.

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

194 31 28
/dɪˈlɪəriəm/ /dɪˈlɪriəm/ [uncountable] a mental state where somebody becomes excited and not able to think or speak clearly, usually because of illne...
8.3K 488 71
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED.] "Being abused your whole life isn't nice. Being told that you are not worthy and being punished for all the little...
37.4K 827 30
Something tragic has happened. A 17 year old Valeri has to move to her dad's place. She spent all her life thinking he was dead. Her now dead mother...
782 30 17
"ɪ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴀsᴋᴇᴅ ғᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴏʀɢɪᴠᴇɴᴇss. ɪ ᴡɪʟʟ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ғᴏʀɢɪᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ғᴏʀ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ᴅᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴍᴇ." Have you ever been forced into a life that you never want...