Licensed Villains

By deatmat

Heroes are kind. Heroes save people. Heroes want to help people no matter what. Heroes are like All Might, sm... More

A Job
Endeavor
Dabi
Advance
Truce
Intern
Spying
Analyze
Observe
Alloy
A Job (Pt. 2)
Prepare
Shouto
Hawks
UA
Information
Fight
Warning
USJ
Heroes
Investigate
Bonding
Support
Confront
Past
Rumors
Honesty
Commission
Hunting
Talk
Sports Festival
Race
Cavalry
Fire
Articles
Visit
Dinner
Patrol
Search
Stain
Renounce
Offers
Proposition
Planning
Apologies
Reveal
Exposition
Consequences
Gone
Trapped
Find
Push
Escape
Return
Brace
Shout
Resolve
Requests

Train

2.8K 174 116
By deatmat

"Another scone?" Natsuo questioned, handing Dabi a bag with a scone and coffee. "Your brother must be getting a lot of attention lately."

"Mmm, it's curtsy of getting in his dream school." 

Not entirely a lie. Deku's a little shit and since getting into U.A. he's been blowing all of his tasks off and instead assigning them to Dabi. The training he's about to go to is when he'll kick the gremlins ass for doing so, especially for making him spend a day with Bird Brain. The information he got was useful but still, Deku's going to pay. 

"Which school?" Natsuo asked, leaning against the counter. The cafe was relatively empty today. Dabi could count the total number of customers on one hand and still have fingers to spare. He was partially glad to have the chance to converse with Natsuo. For informational reasons only, of course. 

"U.A." 

The white haired boys eyes lit up. "Really? Is he going to be a hero?"

"No, analyst," he said, taking a sip out of his coffee. 

"Nice. My brother goes to U.A." Natsu began to wipe down the counter and Dabi's eye's widened for a moment. It's the first time he's willingly brought up his family. This is progress. "He's going to be a hero, one of the best, no doubt about it."

Dabi watched the sad smile on his brothers face as he talked about Shouto. He'd seen that bullshit excuse of a smile many times, had used it himself once a long time ago. Fuyumi used to wear it everyday, that's one of the things Dabi remembers most about her. His mother had put it on to try and pretend to be happy for them. Even back then, when he was still trapped in that household with their broken family, Natsuo had worn it a few times when he'd watched Dabi come back from training, telling him all about the new move he learned. 

That smile isn't a smile. 

He looked away from Natsuo, feeling like he was watching something he isn't supposed to see. He's no longer apart of that family, sometimes he wonders if he ever really was. That smile has no place in his life anymore. 

With eye's fixated on the TV across the room, he pushed away any and all thoughts relating to Todoroki's. The screen displayed an image of the local news, headlines moving by at the bottom of the screen. Behind the reporter talking a green screen showed images of a hero dressed in blues and purples being shoved into a police car. Dabi frowned. He recognized that hero. 

"-making it truly a sad day for many citizens. The hero harmony, though not high in rankings, was a great hero indeed. It's heart breaking to have this information come to light just last night and for yet another hero be put behind bars. Back to you Sasaki," the reporter said calmly. 

Revite. Deku. 

His attention for the news suddenly peaked. 

A new lady appeared on the screen, her blonde hair tied up into a bun. "Thank you Okada. Recently we've noticed that the self proclaimed 'Revite' has been making many changes within our city and others all across Japan. What the public is calling our new vigilante, is proving to be resourceful. For those unfamiliar, Revite's articles out the secrets of all sorts of different heroes who aren't who we thought them to be. The two most recent articles have featured the heroes Alloy and Harmony who are now both facing criminal charges.

"In the last few weeks there have been more changes than just the loss of many heroes licences. Lately over three dozen rally's and protest against the hero systems current ways have been held. People are taking their opinions to the streets, defending Revite and what he tries to prove."

The screen flashed with images of peoples holding signs and raising shaking fist. Dabi's eyes skimmed over the signs reading them and the many phrases. Fight the villains within yourselves! one of them read. Another said, HEROES ARE LIARS. There were so many. Down with the commission Up with justice! Alloy, Shudder, Harmony, Ghost, Turbine,  who else? The one saying Dabi kept seeing was the same one that caught his own attention all those months ago with Revite's first article on Shudder. LICENSED VILLAINS!

Holy shit. Does Deku know about this? Does he even realize the kind of change he's making. 

Next to him Natsuo whistled. "All this Revite stuff is crazy."

Crazy is one way to put it, Dabi thought. How did he even get caught up in all of this? He'd planned for a way to take down Endeavor, not get recruited for the whole scheme Revite has going on. 

"Hm, it'll be interesting to see where this goes,"  he said.

"Yeah. I think he's doing good things." 

Natsuo's response shouldn't have surprised him. The boy had grown up in a household that proves all the points Revite is trying to make but it's that very same reason that Dabi thought would make him against Revite. He can imagine how pissed Enji is about all the vigilante is doing. It nearly brings a smile to his face at the thought. He'd pay to see the enraged look he probably wears every time Revite's name shows up in the media.

"Good things... right." Dabi turned to leave, waving over his shoulder at Natsuo. "See ya."

"Oh. Bye!"

If Dabi was smiling under his mask than that's his own fucking business. 

-:-

"Are you fucking kidding me."

The words fell out of his mouth as he approached Dogabah beach, an exasperated sigh escaping him. In front of him he noticed nearly an eighth of the beach was already cleared, making room for a space to train. Deku was proudly hefting a microwave to move into a C-can. Dabi still went unnoticed as he stood staring. The gremlin really had gone ahead without him, huh? Fine. He'll get him back. 

Deku, still completely oblivious to his presence, walked into the C-can and dropped the microwave down. He crept up behind him, readying his hands before grabbing him by the shoulders. "Boo!"

"F-FUCK!" he screamed and jumped away from him. His green eye's stared at him in wide horror. With shaky hands, he pointed at him accusingly. "You- what the heck Dabi!" 

He snorted, laughter filling his lungs. He slapped a hand on his knee. "Ha! For a runt you sure swear a lot when you panic!"

Deku crossed his arms, sending him a pointed look. "That's not fair."

"Oh I think it's plenty fair considering the shit you pulled by making me spend the day with Hawks," he argued. 

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry." The kid rolled his eyes before marching over to the clearing on the beach. He kicked at the sand, the mild surprise and anger at Dabi for scaring him slowly disappearing from his face. He offered a sheepish smile. "How did that go by the way?"

Dabi frowned and picked up a piece of metal from one of the many junk piles. He flip it over in his hands, shrugging. "Besides the company, pretty well. I saw you used the information Hawks gathered on Harmony." 

"Oh! Yes, thank you! It helped a lot." He scratched at his neck. "I'm still confused on how the police knew it was me sending in the tip."

"You have a way of explaining things that is unique," he replied, melting the edges of the metal scrap with heated hands. He met Deku's gaze. "Did you watch the news this morning?"

"Meh," he said, shrugging. "Only a glimpse. Enough to see Harmony is going on trial."

Dabi's surprised how Deku has avoided all the media with Revite so well. Aren't kids always on their phones nowadays or some crap? He should have caught wind of what people have been saying about him. Maybe he is aware? Does he just not care? It's worth asking.

"Hey." Deku's head snapped up to hear what he had to say. "Do you know what kind of an impact Revite has on people?"

"Yeah," he surprisingly answered. Deku sat down on the ground. "Protests and stuff always happen right after I release an article or some hero gets taken down. They'll go away in a few days."

The fuck? Does he not even realize the change he's making is more than just 'a few days' worth of movement? He's acting like everyone forgets who Revite is after a little bit of time. Dabi's sick of it.

He stepped forward, knocking his foot into Deku's shoulder so he fell onto his back. He glared down at him. "Listen up, kid. The shit you have going on isn't temporary so put on your big boy pants and start realizing your actions are impacting people in massive ways. You're going against their worldviews, changing them even. You're making a change people dream off but never end up achieving. Revite is important."

The change I wanted to make, went unsaid. When he was younger he had that same look in his eyes as Natsuo did when he talked about Revite doing good things. He used to hope that someone would swoop in and make the change that would take down his father. No one had and he'd decided he'd be that change. Even now, he still strives for that. The whole point of this is so he can take down Endeavor. If he had someone like Revite making a difference when he was younger he doesn't know where he'd be. 

Deku, the little shit, grinned up at him. The corners of his eyes wrinkles as he cheerfully teased, "Aw, you're just trying to say you're proud of me." 

Hurriedly, he stepped back from him. "Ew. No I'm not. You're a disappointment if anything."

"You don't have to lie! I'm proud of you too and I can learn to be proud of myself!" 

Honestly? Fuck his stupid grin and that damn tightening in Dabi's chest. He's not proud. Fuck anyone who thinks so. He's just annoyed that Deku doesn't know his own worth. That's all. There's nothing else to it. 

He kicked at Deku's leg. "Get up. It's time I kick your ass."

"All righty!"

It's a true mystery how Deku fails to never not be excited. What part of 'kick your ass' does this kid not get? 

Deku got to his feet and lower into the fighting stance he'd shown him the last time. Dabi wanted to laugh. At least he's holding a proper stance now but the baby face really makes it hard to take him seriously. Dabi sighed and stuck his hand in his pocket, pulling the item in it out and throwing it to Deku. 

The boy made a surprised ack!  before fumbling to catch it. His fingers wrapped around the short metal stick, eye narrowing in confusion. "Wha...?"

"Today," Dabi said, taking a step closer to Deku, "we're going to do something a little different."

"Different?"

"Mhm." He pointed to the stick. "That is one of my favorite weapons and I'll be teaching you how to use it." 

Deku's eye's shot up to meet his, an eyebrow raised before glancing back down at the stick, now turning it over in his hands. Skepticism laced his voice as he said, "A metal stick? Uh... no offense but it's basically a baton." 

"That's what you think." He gestured for Deku to give him back the 'baton'. He took it from his hands, spinning it around. Smiling to himself, he remembered a time when this was his only way of defense. He's not even sure how he came across it when he was a teenager. Clicking the almost hidden button on the side, he heard Deku gasp in surprise as a shield sprung out from it.

"That's awesome!" Deku cheered, reached out to touch the shield. "How does the metal compact so well? And in a round baton like that? Is there-"

He cut him off by clicking the second button. The pole part extended roughly ten feet  and Dabi used it to jump on top of the nearest garbage pile. Below him, Deku was gawking at him in awe. He smirked. "Think it's more than just a baton now?" 

The gleam in Deku's eyes was all he needed as an answer.

-:-

After three hours of training Dabi decided to call it a day. He promptly sat down on a plastic crate, leaving room for Deku who all but collapsed. Her couldn't blame the kid. He himself is feeling exhausted too. 

"I think you're trying to kill me," Deku groaned, putting his face in his hands. 

Dabi snorted and punched his shoulder. "Nah. Somehow you make yourself useful enough to keep alive."

Not that he'd admit it out loud but he's a little proud of the kid. He picked up how to use the weapon faster than expected. There's no doubt he has his analytical mind to blame for that one. Still, even with his scrawny figure, he was able to maneuver the baton (fuck Deku for making that be the one thing he'll ever call it anymore) to work in both a defensive and offensive way. 

The fact that it requires barely any strength to use had been Dabi's key factor in choosing it. Not only was it familiar to him but it would be easy for Deku to use until he gains some muscle from clearing out the beach. If Deku wants to do more in person things he needs a way to protect himself. Dabi can't have him dying. Only because he needs him to get back at Endeavor. That's all. . .

Who is he kidding? He likes the kid. Fuck him. 

"You look like you just ate something sour," Deku commented, poking at his cheek. 

Dabi scowled and swatted his hand away, ignore the phantom touch that lingered on his burns that'd been touched. He hissed, "Maybe I'm just sick of you after three hours."

"Doubt it."

The worse part is he can't even deny it. 

Deku set his baton down in his lap. He rolled it over in his hands. He got that look he usual has when he's thinking too much. Dabi rolled his eyes, hating that he can't just let the kid sit in his thoughts. He poked at his arm, grabbing his attention. "What's on your mind?"

He shrugged.  "I... I was thinking about how well you know how to use this." He waved the baton for emphasis. "It's weird considering your quirk. The shield checks out because you're quirk isn't a defensive one but I don't see why you'd even want to use it in the first place? Hand to hand combat doesn't seem like something you'd need."

All fair points, Dabi noted. He supposes it doesn't make sense to an outsider. He looked at Deku and his always open expression that looked so curious in the moment. Part of him itched to tell him while the rest wanted nothing more than to leave him alone of this beach and never have to find out about Dabi's past. The former, for the first time in probably ever, seemed more appealing. If he didn't tell Deku now he'd just keep asking again and again until he eventually folded and told him. At least if he didn't avoid the question now he'd look less suspicious and could leave out more details. And... as much as he hates it, he thinks he trusts Deku. The gremlin had wormed his way into his life and ripped his trust and respect right from him with his quick mind and eager heart. 

He sighed. There's no avoiding this. He stared at the ground, quietly answering, "I never told you how I got my scars."

"What does this-"

"If you interrupt me I will go home and you will never hear the answer to your question," Dabi threatened, shooting him a glare. Deku nodded and he continued. "You know a lot about my quirk but I bet you didn't know it hurts me."

The way Deku's eye's softened and his lips parted in surprise made Dabi's chest ache. He only hoped the kid didn't pity him. If he did, he'd smack him right into the sun to get his own burns.

"I was born with the wrong body for this quirk. My skins designed to withstand cold, not heat. On the inside, I burn with fire and on the outside my skin thrives in the cold. When I was a kid doctors said there was a chance I'd burn myself up from the inside. They were wrong. I ended up burning from outside in."

He took a deep breath, staring at the clouds turning pinkish in the sky with the late afternoon that settled into evening. He'd visited so many doctors, his mother had tried so hard to prove them wrong. He remembers her cursing herself night and day for giving him her skin. She'd asked herself out loud a lot about why he couldn't have gotten solely her quirk or his fathers. He pushed thoughts of his mother to the back of his mind.

"When I... when I ran away from my parents, I'd burned myself so badly I earned these scars," he said, tracing a finger along his dark scarred palm held together by staples. He didn't feel his hand as anything more than a light touch even if he was pressing down rather hard. "Every time I used my quirk after that for a few months it had burned. Sometimes my skin would fall off if I used it for more than a few seconds and I'd have to find another doctor to re-staple them. 

"I was alone on the streets without even a quirk to defend me. I started to pick up some basic combat skills from the fights I'd watch, or accidentally get caught up in. Half a year passed and I could use my quirk again but I... I didn't want to. Fuck, I was scared of it."

He shook his head, a bitter laugh leaving his lips. It really is stupid the more he thinks about it. He was scared of something more natural to him than breathing. Deku spoke up. "Dabi, I can't even-"

"What'd I say about interrupting?" He snarled and glared at him. He shut right up letting him keep going with his story. "Anyways, I couldn't just do nothing. I had to learn to fight practically quirkless. I found that weapon one day and taught myself how to use it. that's how I know how to fight. 

"One day I'd left where I was staying at that time too quickly to grab something and I didn't have the baton.  I got cornered and had to make a quick decision. I burned those guys, sent them running. My quirk had saved me. I learned how to use my fire so it didn't hurt and now it's the best way I fight. The rest is history." 

He looked to Deku only to find him smiling at him. It took him aback. What's the shit smiling for? 

"So you got over your fear?" Deku asked, a smirk playing on his lips. "That's pretty awesome."

He... he doesn't know what to say to that. No one's ever- no one compliments him. Especially not for getting over a fear that was stupid in the first place. He's never told anyone about his fear of his quirk but he's sure if he did most people would laugh at him not whatever the fuck Deku is doing with his stupid grin and kind words. What the fuck is this kid? 

"Whatever," he responded, turning his head to hide the smile that he pushing down. He doesn't smile. He kicked at Deku's legs. "Go him. We'll train tomorrow before you go to your intern. Your mom's going to be worried if you're not home by seven."

"Oh! Right!" Deku scrambled to his feet, picking up his school bag stuffed with his uniform and books. He slung it over his shoulder and started racing away from the beach but not before pausing and turning back to wave at Dabi. "See ya Dabi! Thanks for the training, you're the best!"

Dabi watched him leave, letting himself shyly smile once he'd disappeared from sight. "Yeah," he mumbled to himself. "See ya kid." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 6K 37
Izuku was kidnapped by a Mad Doctor who experimented on quirkless kids. Being a complete failure Izuku was sold to the underground circus where he l...
1.4M 37K 37
Everyone thinks Izuku is quirkless... even himself. When All Might crushes Izuku's dreams of becoming a hero, Izuku shuts himself into his house for...
147K 6.6K 34
A BNHA FANFICTION Izuku Midoriya has lived through a few hardships. He just wants to shut everyone our of his life and wrap himself in his wings. He...
198K 10.3K 29
*can be read as a stand-alone if you don't mind spoilers from previous books* *cover created by SleepwalkingAwake* Charlie Rutter had the perf...