Forbidden Law (An Alien Love...

By Wotchy

**COMPLETED FINALLY** . The last thing Skylar Brooks expected to bring home with her from the Thanksgiving ho... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Second Book Available

Chapter Five

12.1K 523 95
By Wotchy

"Where did you come from?" my mom asked. She dipped a piece of french toast in syrup, popping it in her mouth followed by bacon. Jace watched this intently, seeming to catalogue the mannerism for future reference.

"I came from Denver."

My parents were predictable a majority of the time, so I'd scripted Jace on details of a fake past. The standard questions parents asked of teenage boys they should be suspicious of around their daughter would most likely be brought up, along with a few odd-balls from my mom. She carried the thinking brains of the couple. My dad was smart, but not when it came to common sense to ask the correct questions.

"Mm-hhmm,"Dad mumbled through a large bite. This sudden observance from my mom had me second guessing any stutter or catch to Jace's replies.

"Do you have any siblings?" my mom continued.

"No. I am an only child. My mom died when I was young, so it is only my dad and I."

One of Mom's eyebrows rose as she muttered "Sorry" under her breath. My father paused in mid-chew, but otherwise didn't seem to care.

Relentless questions slewed Jace for the next twenty minutes, my dad periodically providing ease with obvious notice of my mother. His questions were simple, but my mothers required detail. When Jace failed to answer for a certain time, I stepped in and glared pointedly. My dad glanced questioningly from my mother to Jace and I. But at last, we finished.

I helped clean up the table, then quickly ushered Jace to the front door as I threw my goodbyes over my shoulder. My parents followed, faces haggard and attempting smiles that didn't quite seem to reach the eyes.

"Have a good day. It was nice meeting you, Jace. We hope you love Dallas just as much as Denver," my mom said as we made a clumsy exit. Jace waved and thanked them as we climbed into my car. I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

"How did I perform?" Jace asked quietly. I looked over at him as I pulled out of the driveway.

"Good. Really. My mom is just...detail oriented I guess. Just more this morning than usual. But you followed everything I told you to, so there's nothing to worry about."

He was thinking hard the rest of the way to teenage prison, the only sound my blinker as I traversed the crowded suburban streets.

****************************************

At school, it was time for football tryouts. And Jace was going to try out.

It started with the flying ball. We had been in the hall in front of the gym before class started, me introducing Jace to a couple of my friends who had been too intimidated before to meet him. Karen, her dark complexion darkening further with a deep blush, shyly smiled and shook his hand while Tommy nodded and grunted in normal guy fashion. They chattered in introduction, and suddenly, I caught a flash of brown and white. My mouth opened in warning, but Jace was no longer in a vulnerable position. A football suddenly appeared in his left hand, the lace perfectly aligned with his four fingers.

The back of Michael's letterman was quickly receding down the hall, his curly blond head glancing back every few seconds. And what dumb luck it was, Coach Garett was coming out of the gym at that point.

"Whoa, there!" he boomed. He was a stout man, with a portly build and graying beard. His eyes were bulging amidst a rosy face, his whistle resting on his stomach.

"Where'd you learn how to catch a ball like that, boy? I haven't seen that kind of speed since college. And I have to admit, that was a long time ago," he said, scratching his balding head.

Jace was at a loss for an answer, so of course, I stepped in to save him.

"Um...sir, Coach Garett, this is Jace. He's new," I said, clearing my throat awkwardly. It came out more like a frog croak than anything.

"Oh, well then, that makes it better," he said smiling.

"Uh...makes what better, sir?"

"He can try out, of course! Fresh meat," he roared, rubbing his hands together greedily. Karen and Tommy were watching in embarrassed silence, glancing at me for permission to escape. I nodded.

The coach pinned Jace with an expectant smile. I knew Jace's abilities only hinted at the total finesse and fitness he possessed, which would be gold to the team. And, admittedly, give Jace the chance to make some friends that weren't...me.

Jace shifted uncomfortably under the heavy gaze and peered at me. I shook my head and said nothing more. There was no point.

Coach Garrett grunted, grabbed the ball that was still in the cage of Jace's long fingers, and walked off. He threw "See you on the field, kid!" over his shoulder as his wide back waddled through the masses of people.

We exchanged looks, jumping as the warning bell rang in the rapidly emptying halls. We had five minutes to get to class.

Jace, of course, didn't notice Isabella in her tryout-ready cheerleading outfit and messy bun. I caught her eye instead, staring in unblinking challenge. She offered an innocent smile that made her lipgloss glitter under the fluorescent light. Michael glowered at her side.

"Hey," he growled. Jace looked up at him, startled to actually notice them standing so close.

"Yes?"

The football player stepped up to him. Jace was at least four inches taller than him, but Michael was sturdy with both fat and muscle giving him the weight advantage. They were nose to nose. But having an idea of what Jace was capable of, I shuddered to think of the possible outcome of this interaction.

"I don't like freaks in my hallway," Mike said, poking Jace's chest, who in turn didn't budge a muscle. Mike glanced down at his finger with a small, almost unnoticeable wince. Isabella watched closely, particularly at the alien's clinging shirt stretched across his chest and arms.

Jace was stoic yet politely confused. "What is a freak?"

"Well..." Mike looked at a loss for words. The fact that Jace had responded with an odd question had thrown him off temporarily. Unfortunately, he was only geared on anger when in a social situation. His eyes took on a slightly wild glint as crimson climbed his throat. "Are you being funny, freak? Ask one more stupid, faggot ass question and see what happens."

Jace looked momentarily repulsed, then asked, "Excuse me?"

The quarterback went at him, putting his shoulder down to tackle the alien. Jace didn't even look surprised. Quicker than what I could see, he slid to one side and stuck out his foot, swinging it out in Mike's path. He went crashing into the green lockers, smashing his face into a slotted door. Jace stood still as a statue, readily poised for the next move in silence.

Mike got up, wiping blood from his nose and looked around. I now noticed the ring of a few onlookers on either side of us. Mike looked at Jace. Then at me with a sneer.

"Teaching him your ways, slut? I hear you're into chicks." His face was now a dangerous beet red. Small grooves marked the ridge of his nose, veins popping in a temple and in his neck.

I stared back at him evenly. "No. I'm just helping him out. And if I were you, I'd leave him alone."

He chuckled. "Oh, are you gonna protect him? Where's he from, anyway, your basement? That's probably the only dick you've ever seen, skank. Oh, wait, he probably doesn't want you either, same as-"

Anger raged in my ears. I stepped forward, fists balled and ready, but Jace beat me to the punch. He grabbed Mike's arm and twisted it tightly behind his back, once again locker meeting face. The football player gasped, his head rolling to the side. Jace seemed at ease, his muscles barely taut. Isabella had a hand to her mouth, observing with the rest of the onlookers now.

"Apologize," Jace crooned in a dead voice. I was speechless, my breath huffing angrily.

Mike didn't say a word with sealed bloody lips. His eyes were little slits, staring fixedly at the opposite wall.

"Apologize," Jace repeated. He inched Mike's arm up even farther, if that was possible. I had no idea arms could bend that far without breaking. A high pitched whimper escaped from him as his resolve visibly crumbled.

"Fine! I'm sorry! Just get off me!" Jace let go, stepping back. He looked at me and I nodded with an affectionate smile.

Mike looked at me, then at Jace again. "You'll pay for this. You hear me? One of these days, I'm gonna get back at you. Both of you." He turned on his heel and walked down the hall, finally disappearing around a corner. His nose had looked slightly crooked.

I snickered, grabbed Jace's arm, and dragged him to class before more trouble ensued.

***********************************************

The principal called for Jace in third period.

"Hello, Mrs. Jones. Can you tell Jace to come to the front office?' the secretary asked over the intercom. Mrs. Jones looked surprised, but said okay.

Before Jace could go, I said to the teacher,"Um...Mrs.Jones? Can I go with him to show him the way? He still doesn't know where anything is." The teacher looked doubtful, but let me go with him. I knew I liked her for a reason.

In the hallway, Jace gave me his usual questioning look. The linoleum floor shined dully as we started on our way.

"They want you because of the fight this morning."

"Fight? It was not a fight. He was far more disadvantaged, therefore simply protecting myself and you from his nuisance." He looked nonchalant and matter-of-fact as he strode next to me, shifting eyes taking in the Christmas posters on the walls. I had the sudden urge to hook arms with him, but didn't know if he'd like that. Instead, my cold hands remained in my hoodie pockets.

"Yeah, but they count that as fighting. And you get in trouble for fighting. He either whined to the nurse about what happened or someone watching did." I shrugged.

"Whined? And what were those other words he used?"

"That means...well, to complain I guess. For example, if you have a little sibling, they 'whine' to your parents when you bully them. And those other words Michael used were just derogatory terms to call someone. I'll show you definitions later if you're actually interested. But hopefully you never have to use them."

He nodded agreeably. "And what is this principal?"

Nearly there, I slowed our pace. "The principal rules the school, keeps everyone in line, and most importantly, punishes the students," I replied in a sarcastic drone.

He grimaced at the word 'punishes'.

"It's okay. I'll be there with you if you want me to be. It's nothing real serious."

"I want you there," he said immediately.

And that was the end of that. The simple confident reliance in my presence was flattering, though I squashed the feeling at once. There's no way that this fact was an amorous indication.

We made it to the principal's office within a few seconds of our discussion and stopped at the glossy wooden door that neighbored the secretary. I knocked and heard a muffled "come in."

We entered the dimly lit space and saw that Principal Norris was seated comfortably at his desk. He looked up from a day planner and gestured towards the two seats in front of him. We complied in silence.

He looked at me. "And why are you here, Miss Dayze?"

I quickly scrambled for an excuse. "I was kind of involved."

Jace threw a sideways look at me, not liking that I was including myself in the problem. I shrugged. I had been in trouble before. That's why the principal knew my name in the first place.

Mr. Norris was a tall man in his late fifties, with a balding shiny head. What hair he did have resembled a half eaten doughnut. His dark eyes felt like lasers seeking a target in the gloom.

"Okay then. I can't say I'm very surprised." He sighed and closed the planner. His desk was cluttered, but the only item that spoke of his life outside of school was a picture of a collie framed in paw prints.

"Let's get this over with, shall we? Mike says you ambushed him. I find that hard to believe, but rules are rules. I only care because a couple of students vouched on his behalf."

We remained silent.

"Now. Since you-" he cut a pointed look at Jace "-are new and just arrived, I will let you slide this one time with a stern warning. But this is a firm warning. If you step out of line again, there will be punishments. And you-" he looked at me. I slumped in my seat. "I don't believe that you were involved at all. Mike did not mention you. I think you just came down here so you could be with this boy. Next time you decide to take blame and waste my time, expect a reprimand...so be warned. Both of you."

He glared over the rim of his glasses, hands laced.

"You are dismissed."

We got up without a word and left, closing the door behind us. Outside, I grinned at Jace. Guess Norris wasn't such an old ass after all.

"Lucky. Last time I got in trouble, I hadn't even done anything. Coach must've gotten to him this morning. He's a real sucker for football."

Jace gave the slightest wince.

"Do I really have to try out? I do not know how to play this football." His shoulders slumped as his pale hands hid in his jean pockets.

"Just give it a try and see if you like it. If you don't, then just don't join. But I think you will, it'd give you a physical outlet and the opportunity to meet guys to make friends. I'll explain how to play at lunch. Your not alone in this, you know. "

He smiled. "Yes, I do know. Thank you, Skyler."

I knew he meant more than just football.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

261K 5.8K 71
Skylar Williams is a 16 year old werewolf. She always dreamed of finding her mate and finally being able to be happy but when she does find him all...
1K 48 19
Murry was never really into anything... especially aliens or outer space. Since he is nonverbal and, on the spectrum, no one understands him anyway...
3.2K 81 26
"Hey I thought we got rid of the dog door. How'd that thing get in?" "You know, it's after Halloween, you can take off the mask." Alex and Jace have...
11 Hours By Amya Olivia

Science Fiction

142 28 16
The fate of the world rests on our shoulders again. I thought the days of us fighting were over until I woke up inside my burning school. We're being...