The Madrona Heroes Register:...

By HillelCooperman

(Note: This book is the sequel to the first book in the series - The Madrona Heroes Register: Echoes of the P... More

Chapter 1 - The Shopping List
Chapter 2 - The Sudden Rain
Chapter 3 - The Missing Cheese
Chapter 4 - The Accidental Summer Camp
Chapter 5 - The First Walk
Chapter 6 - The Caramel Apple Pancakes
Chapter 7 - The Sandbox Kiss
Chapter 8 - The Robotic Milkshake
Chapter 9 - The Broken Pieces
Chapter 10 - The Fiftieth Digit
Chapter 11 - The Mango Mural
Chapter 12 - The Almost-Finished Portrait
Chapter 13 - The Hole in the Wall
Chapter 14 - The Awful Smell
Chapter 15 - The Hungry Hero
Chapter 16 - The New Headquarters
Chapter 17 - The Unexpected Visitor
Chapter 18 - The Lunch Date
Chapter 19 - The 1911 East Cherry Street Sewer Tunnel
Chapter 20 - The Tunnel People
Chapter 21 - The Papaya Break
Chapter 22 - The Gift
Chapter 23 - The Books on Reserve
Chapter 24 - The Broken Generator
Chapter 25 - The Fixer
Chapter 26 - The Picture Frames
Chapter 27 - The Packages
Chapter 28 - The Last Walk
Chapter 29 - The Seattle Police Department
Chapter 30 - The Isle of Man
Chapter 31 - The Lone Walk
Chapter 32 - The New Patient
Chapter 33 - The Harvesting
Chapter 34 - The Posters
Chapter 35 - The Ice Cream Break
Chapter 36 - The Speakeasy
Chapter 37 - The Places You Shouldn't Be
Chapter 38 - The Linden Tree
Chapter 39 - The House in the Weeds
Chapter 40 - The Long Way Around
Chapter 41 - The Way Out
The Change in Plans
Chapter 44 - The Elusive Truth
Epilogue

Chapter 42 - The Secrets That Bind

1 0 0
By HillelCooperman

“Everything?” Gabe looked disappointed.

“Everything.” Zach said.

“Not even my incredible super strength?” Gabe flexed his bicep.

“Especially that.” Zoe added. “And don’t go doing anything crazy either. You still don’t know how to even turn it on.”

Gabe made a face but acquiesced.

“Do you think he can make it? Binny stood in the middle of the wild greenery that had so effectively hidden the cellar doors. 

“I think so.” Penny was breathing hard trying to gently lift Rembrandt in the right direction. 

“Come on. You can do it.” Cassie said encouragingly as she patted Rembrandt’s head.

“Are you talking to him or to me?” Penny asked.

“Both I guess?” Cassie giggled.

Rembrandt looked like he’d been woken up from a nap that he had preferred to continue.

“We can’t talk about any of this. Not even about Ollie.” Zach said.

“What?” Zoe turned on Zach. “Why not?”

“Because, if we explain what Ollie did, then we have to explain to our parents that we went running around an abandoned rotting house. Once they’ve grounded us for that, they’ll make us explain how we got into said house. I don’t know about your parents, but with mine, it won’t end until they’ve gotten us to admit that we have powers and have gotten personal tours of our hideout.” Zach said. “And also, everyone, wipe as much of the dust off your clothes as you can.”

“So he’s just gonna get away with it?” Binny joined Zoe in her indignation.

“What would happen to him anyway? I mean really? His mother seems to be able to deflect anything. The only people that would get in trouble are us. And besides, I don’t think Ollie will be kidnapping any more animals.” Zach asserted.

“And why is that?” Zoe asked.

“Well, while I’m pretty sure Dr. Trace won’t let him get into any trouble, that doesn’t mean she won’t keep a much closer eye on him. I saw how she was looking at him and Rembrandt. She knew something was up.” Zach continued, “Second, I think he got what he wanted.”

“What does that mean?” Binny said.

Zach squeezed Cassie’s arm as he spoke. “It means that while we were all going to use our powers to stop him, Cassie used her powers of persuasion. I think he did this to prove something, to himself, or maybe even to Cassie. And I think he did that.”

“Caleb said that kids who hurt animals grow up to hurt people.” Penny said solemnly.

“I know. I think we have some time on that though. Let’s deal with one thing at a time.”

“There’s something we haven’t discussed.” Binny said. “Ollie has a power.”

“Yeah, that didn’t feel good.” Zach said.

“No kidding. He did it to me twice.” Zoe said.

“Caleb told us he only gave powers to us.” Anger crept into Binny’s voice. “Where did Ollie get his?”

“I think he’s waking up.” Cassie said nuzzling Rembrandt as he walked next to them.

“Yeah, he is looking perkier.” Binny added. “His nose is wet again.”

Zoe smiled at Rembrandt’s progress and turned back to Zach. “So what are we gonna tell them?”

“I’ll think of something.” Zach flashed a smile.

The kids exited the grounds of the abandoned mansion and headed down the alley and around the block to Madrona park and their waiting parents. The dark had finally descended but the rain had moved through the area quickly and was now down to a spatter.

§

“Hmmm… Zach said they’d be here five minutes ago.” Jay muttered.

“Patience. He’ll be here. Remember, you’re in your new trusting mode.” Julie said.

“I trusted him to be here five minutes ago.”

Jay, Julie, Serena, Quincy, and Jonathan were all waiting for the kids in the playground area in the Madrona park.

“Somebody should tell the city, this looks kind of dangerous.” Quincy pointed at the wide hole that had been dug out under the jungle gym. 

“I wonder how something like that happens.” Jonathan mused.

“Ants.” Quincy said to Jonathan.

“Ants?” Jonathan asked.

“Yeah, lots of ants driving lots of tiny construction equipment.” Quincy replied.

“You are insane.” Jonathan joked.

“Henry!” Serena shouted.

Henry Huitre was walking on the other side of the park. He’d been looking for Rembrandt and walked slowly to the other adults.

“Any luck?” Jay asked.

“I am afraid not yet.” Huitre replied. “I hope you are all not out here on account of my dog.”

“The kids couldn’t help it. They’ve been out searching. We brought them some rain gear, though it looks like we’re too late on that front.” Serena held her hand up above searching for any remnants of the precipitation.

“Those children are amazing. Really.” Huitre said, his voice bittersweet.

Julie noticed the children first as they rounded the corner and came into view. Julie leaned her neck forward trying to get a good look. “I think that might be them.”

“It’s about time.” Jay said looking at his watch.

“Shush.” Julie said.

Five of the children had rounded the corner, and a moment before it occurred to Julie to wonder where Cassie was, Cassie rounded the corner, with Rembrandt in tow.

“I can’t believe it.” Jay said.

“Mon dieu!” Huitre exclaimed.

“Still upset about them being late?” Julie elbowed Jay.

Wide grins broke out on each of the parents’ faces.

Huitre’s shoulders lowered for the first time since he’d first realized his backyard was empty. He hadn’t realized how much weight they’d been carrying. Rembrandt ran into his arms and let out a celebratory bark.

Once the hugging and congratulations had died down a bit, Huitre asked the kids, “I do not understand. How did you find him? Where was he?”

“Well, we have to tell you something.” Zach said solemnly. 

The group got quiet.

“When I told you we had lunch today, I didn’t tell you what we had for lunch.” Zach said.

“Oh really?” Jay said, feigning surprise.

“We stopped in at Soul Repair for some ice cream. I know it wasn’t the healthiest decision, but were in a hurry, and it was hot out.” Zach explained.

“And Kay has the coolest new ice cream. It looks like a real baseball.” Cassie nodded vigorously.

“I do not understand. What does that have to do with how you found Rembrandt?”

“Well,” Zach looked around, all the kids were staring at him, fascinated to find out what he was going to say. The adults were hanging on his words as well. “It seems that Rembrandt got the same idea.”

“Rembrandt got ice cream?” Huitre laughed for the first time since Rembrandt had disappeared, drying his face with the back of his hand.

“In the alley behind Soul Repair there’s a dumpster. I think Rembrandt smelled some food in there, somehow got in, and then couldn’t get out.” Zach explained.

“We were right there today.” Quincy said.

“He doesn’t look any worse for the wear.” Julie said.

“Maybe I’ll try spending the afternoon napping and eating in a dumpster.” Jay joked.

“Maybe you should.” Julie teased.

“How did you guys even think to look in there?” Serena asked.

Zoe stepped forward. “It was Zach’s idea. We’d looked in so many places where Rembrandt was supposed to be, that Kay suggested we look where he wasn’t supposed to be. Zach realized the dumpster was the one place where we hadn’t looked.”

Zach looked embarrassed.

Zoe gave Zach a look letting him know that he wasn’t the only one who could weave a good story.

Jay ruffled Zach’s hair. “I’m proud of you. I’m proud of all of you.”

“Thank you so much. I am so grateful to each one of you.” Huitre looked up momentarily from where he was kneeling and petting Rembrandt. It looked like he never planned on letting him go.

“How did you guys stay so dry? It was pouring out. We came to bring you some rain jackets.” Serena asked, puzzled.

“We have raindrop dodging super powers.” Penny said.

Everyone laughed.

§

The adults were still chatting amongst themselves, but the kids had dispersed to various structures in the playground. Zach and Zoe sat on the same bench they’d sat on together weeks earlier watching Cassie and Gabe take turns pushing each other on the swings. 

Zoe confided in Zach that she worried Gabe’s superpower might return unexpectedly and he’d send Cassie flying halfway across the neighborhood.

Zach laughed but had a serious expression on his face.

“What’s wrong? Not funny?” Zoe asked.

“No.” Zach smiled. “It was funny. It’s just, these powers, they are so amazing. You, your brother, everyone can do these incredible things. And I know that what I can do is pretty cool as well. But in the end, I don’t feel like I really solved anything.”

“Penny broke us in everywhere, Xander texted us the address that told us where to go, Binny found where Ollie was, you flew into the house, Gabe broke us into the basement, and Cassie got Ollie to stop. I’m really glad that everything turned out, and I don’t need to be the hero, I just wish I could have done something, anything to help.” Zach confessed.

Zoe cocked her head at an angle, sizing Zach up as she thought about her words. “Zach Jordan, you have been the one leading us to this point from the moment we saw that poor cat. Without you, none of this would have happened.”

“But…” Zach tried to interrupt.

Zoe shushed him and continued. “Never mind all the times your clever ideas, and ridiculously cool memory powers saved us or got us closer to catching Ollie, it’s become obvious to everyone but you that you have a second super power.”

“Oh yeah? What’s that?” Zach said doubtfully.

The tone of Zoe’s voice got softer as she answered, “You make the people around you better.”

Zach was speechless which he thought was probably a good thing because if he tried to speak he would probably cry. Zoe’s words were the nicest thing he’d ever heard.

“Zoe. Shouldn’t you guys be getting home to your house? I don’t want your parents to worry.” Jay had walked over, rescuing Zach from certain embarrassment.

“I called my grandfather. He says it’s okay if we walk Rembrandt home, but then we have to come home straight after.” Zoe answered.

“Well then we better get going.” Jay smiled.

§

The caravan proceeded in small clusters. Rembrandt led the way. Not only did Rembrandt’s ordeal appear to not have had a lasting negative effect on him, but Rembrandt seemed to be full of energy. Energy that Huitre hadn’t seen in some time.

“You know,” Serena sidled up to Jay, “this story, of the neighborhood kids rescuing a dog – it’s got some potential.”

“Yeah?” Jay said.

“Yeah.” Serena answered. “You up for doing the illustration.”

“I think so?” Jay joked.

“That’s the way to be confident.” Serena said sarcastically, and then encouraging Jay, “You’ve already got some good practice drawing Rembrandt.”

“True enough.” Jay smiled, excited at the prospect.

“What’s my power going to be in the story?” Cassie joined Jay and Serena’s conversation.

“I want one too.” Gabe appeared to be attached to Cassie at the hip.

“Well, that’s something I guess we’ll have to figure out.” Serena said to the kids.

§

“Do you think you could lift me in the air?” Penny said as she walked between her father and Jonathan holding one of each of their hands.

“I’d worry about pulling your arms out of your sockets. I think your parents would be upset if that happened.” Jonathan said.

“But I want to fly.” Penny responded.

Jonathan smiled at Penny and then glanced up for a moment. The third floor widow’s walk of an enormous, and apparently abandoned home was just visible over the overgrown shrubs that lined the edge of the property. “Wow. Some beautiful homes in this neighborhood.”

“Yeah?” Quincy said.

“That one alone could keep me employed for a year or two.” Jonathan gave Quincy a knowing look.

§

Binny watched Penny as she joked easily with her father and Jonathan. But elsewhere in their small procession, Cassie had taken over Rembrandt duty so Dr. Huitre and her mother were walking on their own.

Binny caught up with Dr. Huitre. “Are you feeling better?”

“My dear, you cannot imagine how much better I feel.” Henry responded.

Binny took his hand in her own. Huitre’s eyebrows went up in surprise but he said nothing.

“I’m glad.” Binny smiled.

Huitre’s phone rang and he answered it with his other hand.

Julie was walking a few feet away. Binny reached out her other hand to her mother. Julie obliged. 

Huitre spoke into his phone, “Yes? Oh good. I’m glad to hear that. I’ve got my Rembrandt back as well. Glad to hear it. Yes. Bye.”

“Everything okay?” Binny asked Huitre once he’d put his phone back in his pocket.

“Yes. Just some unfinished business.” Huitre responded.

“Is it done now?” Julie asked Huitre.

“Yes. Completely.” Huitre answered her.

After a minute, Binny left her mother and Huitre making an excuse that she had to discuss something urgently with Penny. But instead of dropping their hands, she joined them before she snuck away saying, “Keep them warm for me please.”

The two adults looked at each other and smiled tentatively. They’d been expertly trapped.

§

Zach and Zoe walked behind all the others. They’d slowed down a bit, neither wanting the day to end quite yet. Unlike the others, they were walking in relative silence. They’d both already said so much, they couldn’t think of anything to add.

Zoe saw Binny join Huitre and her mother’s hands and got an idea.

At first Zach didn’t quite understand what was happening, but then it dawned on him. He had a super power. He was friends with five other kids with super powers. They’d just rescued their favorite dog from certain death. His parents were proud of him. And the most amazing girl he’d ever met was holding his hand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 7K 37
**A Wattpad Featured Story** Kenna Jones isn't a Superhero, and she wants to keep it that way. Though her brother, Sebastien, is a star member of the...
Syra By Royal Mittens

Mystery / Thriller

3 1 7
Syra Peterson has lived her entire life with her life-changing powers. The only ones who know she has them are her siblings and her mom. However, tha...
829 125 19
What would you do if you thought you were the only person who knew what plagued the world? What could you do? Jordan, a boy who thought he lived a si...
164 1 26
Someone in ten-year-old Binny Jordan’s family has a super power – and it’s not her. Binny’s seven-year-old sister Cassie can turn herself invisible a...