Better Together

By soleOnyx

|Steven x Male reader| This story follows Y/n, a young boy. His mother had given up her physical form to give... More

Prologue
A new life
The Breaking and Formation of Bonds
When It Rains
Too Far
Steven's Birthday
The Whispers In My Head
Message Received
Gem Drill
Mr. Greg
A blossomed Endearment
Gem Hunt
Crack The Whip
Bismuth
Ease Of Winds
Pride Month Special
Above The Earth's Sky
A Mission For 2
Mindful Education
A Busy November
Steven's Dream
Galactic Retrieval
Storm In The Room
The Quest For Destiny
Onyx's Truth
Goodbye...Friend
Invasion
Wanted
It Feels Like Christmas
Can't Go Back
A Single Pale Rose
Now We're Only Falling Apart
With Ruby As The Goal
Made Of Honor
Reunited
Sacrifice and Beyond
Diving Into New Territory
Homeworld Struggles
Change Your Mind
Breath Of Life

Gemcation

570 18 7
By soleOnyx

Y/n POV

It's been a little bit since that incident with Steven leaving, but I'm still not really over it. I could've lost him forever, and with him being my boyfriend that's a terrifying thing to think about, y'know? I'm not good at letting things go, and I tend to dwindle on a lot of it, it's how I've always been ever since I was really young. I was inside the temple, gathering my thoughts together when Steven returned from the car wash, glued to his phone.

"Oh, hey Steven! Back already?" I said, trying to make conversation. He didn't respond, but was just sitting on the couch while still keeping a watchful eye on his phone. He really hasn't been talkative much, but I really just miss having a normal conversation with him. "Still stuck on your phone...huh?" I asked, once again getting no response. I just sat on a chair next to the counter putting my head down, mumbling some stuff. Steven eventually looked up, seeing me with my head down and looking depressed. "Did you say something, sweetie? Sorry, I got distracted." Steven asked. "No...I said nothing." I replied. He had a growing look of concern on his face as if he could tell something was really bothering me. He walked over and sat down next to me, rubbing my back slowly.

"Is something bothering you? You can tell me anything." Steven said. "Well, it's just- actually, nevermind." I said. Steven was gonna speak up, but the door opened and Greg came inside with the gems. "Steven, wanna help us with these groceries?" Greg asked, with a smile on his face. "Check this out...it's farm fresh." Amethyst said, spitting an egg out of her mouth. "Uhh...thanks you guys, but the fridge is full." Steven said, confused. "Mhm, there's genuinely no room left in there." I said. "Not the fridge at our vacation house!" Greg exclaimed. Everyone cheered while we kinda just stared at them awkwardly. "I figured why spend money on hoses when we can spend them on houses! So I found someplace we could rent for the weekend." Greg said.

"Okay, well have fun then." Steven said. "Uh, Steven, you're coming too. And your boyfriend." Greg winked, making the both of us blush a bit. "This is the perfect time for a vacation! I mean, how often are we all on the same planet?" Pearl said. The gems then had to do some pretty big convincing. "Alright, I'll go." Steven said with a sad smile. We got everything packed up and headed out inside the van to the vacation house location. It was a pretty long drive, so I got comfortable in the back while Steven sat upfront with Greg. After a bit of driving, we finally arrived at the house. "Here we are! Home sweet temporary home." Greg said. In the distance, Garnet and Amethyst were carrying some kind of mattress. "Is that our bed?" Steven asked. "Yup, I want you to be as comfortable as possible. Finally have some family time, I feel like you haven't had that in a while. "Yeah, maybe." Steven replied, continuing to stare at his phone. I kept watching him just stay glued to his phone and it really bothered me. Regardless, we got out of the car and got ready to head inside, but Amethyst had something interesting to say.

"Hey Greg, did you invite anyone else? A party guy, maybe about 3 feet long, hissing and reptilian?" Amethyst asked. "Uh...no?" Greg said. "Oof, you might wanna factor in a plus-one." Amethyst replied. "Party guy! No!" Pearl yelled in the distance. "Ouch..." I mumbled, listening to Pearl's cries. Greg still stayed positive and optimistic about this vacation. "I promise, this is gonna be a really good time." Greg said. "Yeah, it's a great place, dad." Steven said, once again glued to his phone. Some time passed by, and Greg was grilling hotdogs with Amethyst, while Garnet chilled with Pearl who was lying down. Steven was sitting against the van, still staring at his phone, while I was sitting out on a log, drawing whatever I saw in the distance. I've been taking up drawing lately, and it's seeming to help calm my nerves whenever I can't stop thinking about something.

"It bit pearl once, but like we're gems, she'll be fine." Amethyst said, sipping her cola. "It's not the pain, it's the surprise!" Pearl groaned, holding an ice pack on her head. "Hey Amethyst, could you..." Greg said. Amethyst nodded and walked over to a preoccupied Steven. "Hey, Steven." Amethyst said. "Hi, Amethyst." Steven replied. She stared at the night sky for a moment, before giving Steven some relatively confusing wisdom. "Hey, it's okay, if it isn't okay." Amethyst said, awkwardly. "The sky...?" Steven asked. "Yeah." Amethyst replied. They sat in some interesting silence for a bit, before Amethyst broke it. "So, are you really into phones now?" She asked. "No." Steven said, quickly putting his phone away and cracking a nervous smile. It was later into the night when I was sitting out by the porch, and Steven walked outside near a hot tub that Garnet and Greg were sitting in.

"Hey, Stchu-ball! Care to take my place? I've been here for way too long, I'm gonna become a raisin." Greg said, winking at Garnet who winked back. Greg hopped out, leaving the 2 of them alone. "Steven, you should join me. Become a raisin." Garnet said. "Okay, one second." Steven replied, grabbing a bag for his phone and jumping inside the hot tub with his clothes on. After a brief silence, Garnet spoke up. "Steven, I know what's troubling you." Garnet said. "You do? Gosh, I messed up, didn't I? I really don't wanna pressure Y/n with this though, he seems like he's going through something." Steven replied, almost sighing with relief. "You didn't do a thing wrong, Pink Diamond was a villain." Garnet replied. She then started to monologue about Pink Diamond which made Steven not so relieved. "Yeah, I know. Pink Diamond was bad and everything bad had to happen so good things could kind of happen." Steven said. After some awkward conversation, Steven got out and dried off, walking back inside. As he was about to enter, he noticed me sitting on the porch, almost dazed in my own thoughts.

"Uh, hey there, Y/n. Is everything alright, you haven't been acting yourself." Steven asked. I glanced up at him for a moment, but then looked away, not saying a word. The progessive silence made Steven start to worry, and he sat down next to me. "Please tell me what's wrong..." He begged. I wasn't gonna say anything, but decided to speak up. "Steven...have you ever lost somebody you cared about?" I mumbled, slowly feeling tears drench my face. "What do you mean? I don't really think so- woah...what's wrong?" Steven replied, seeing my tear-stricken face. "I could've lost you...and I never would see you again. Every moment we've ever spent together would mean nothing." I said. Steven didn't know what to do in this situation, but kept listening to what I had to say. "When you finally came back, I was so happy. But you've just grown...distant. Anytime I look at you, you're glued to your phone and too caught up to notice anything around you. Maybe I did something, and I'm just too much of an idiot to realize. You don't have to tell me what's wrong...but I'm really sorry for whatever I did." I said.

"No...I'm the one who should be sorry. I really didn't mean to be so distant, I was just so caught up with stuff and- I'm sorry... You probably hate me so much, but I don't wanna lose you. I really love you, Y/n, and I hope you still love me..." I said, starting to cry as well. Y/n wrapped me in a warm hug, both of us crying into each other's shoulders. "I couldn't hate you, Steven. I love you so much, and I understand if you're still getting over being in space. But I just miss spending time with you." I sniffled. He and I shared a little kiss, before deciding to get up and go to bed.

*Steven POV*

I woke up the next morning, but Y/n was already out of bed. I decided to go outside and sit on the porch, but I could easily hear my dad and the gems talking about trying to help me. "I know this isn't space lag, it's some gem thing he knows I won't understand. I don't know anything about Homeworld, but you've gotta be able to put it into context. Y/n, has he told you anything? I figured if he'd talk to anyone it's you." Greg said. "No, he hasn't. I'm not gonna pressure him for details if that's what you're asking me." Y/n sighed. "If Steven doesn't want to talk to us, then the help we can offer is limited. Everyone's tried to get it out of him except..." Garnet said, causing them to all stare at Pearl. After a bit of convincing, Pearl decided to give it a shot. As she opened the door, I scrambled over to where I was sitting and tried to act natural.

"Sure is quiet out here...huh?" Pearl said, sitting down next to me. "Yeah." I replied, playing it cool. "Homeworld...I always hoped you'd see it some day, but I thought I'd be there with you. Being taken prisoner must've been a traumatic experience...and I'm sure you have lots of questions...but there are things that are impossible for me to explain, like-" Pearl said, quickly covering her mouth. I decided I couldn't take it anymore and just spilled the truth. "Connie hates me!" I shouted. "Wha-" Pearl stuttered. Everyone else then burst out outside the door. "We aren't listening!" Greg said. "Also, continue." Garnet added. "Everything is such a mess! I mean yeah, all that stuff back on Homeworld was super messed up, but my relationship with Connie is even more messed up! I've been trying to text her for a week but she doesn't respond, and she might never talk to me again! Just- just leave me alone!" I shouted, running off crying.

"S-steven, wait!" Y/n shouted. "I'll go talk to him, I might not know anything about gem stuff, but I know about this. Come with me Y/n, he might be a little more open to talk if you're there." Greg said. Y/n nodded and followed Greg over to where I had run off too. "Hey babe, you alright?" Y/n asked, sitting down next to me. "Y-yeah, I'm fine." I sniffled. "Part of me figured this was about Connie, but I wouldn't love you any less because of that." He said, comforting me. "Stchu-ball, if this was about Connie, why didn't you say anything?" Greg asked. "Well...I was...embar-" I tried to say, but couldn't. "You don't have to be embarrassed about this, Steven. Like you've told me, you can tell me anything." Y/n said, putting a hand on my back. "It's just...the last thing I did was send her some dumb texts. Then I made some weird joke about tennis, and I don't even know if it makes sense and-" I said. "Hold on, tennis?" Greg asked. I handed him my phone to look at, but he said something that shook me. "Uh, Steven, we don't get service out here." Greg said. "W-what are you telling me?! Maybe she's been trying to get in touch with me and she thinks I've been ignoring her!" I shouted, shocked. "So that's why those telemarketers haven't been calling me the past few hours..." Y/n mumbled.

"Dad, we gotta find service! C'mon, Y/n!" I said, grabbing Y/n's hand. "Right!" They both replied. We ran back to the house where we gathered everyone inside the van. "Go, go, go!" I shouted, rushing everyone. Dad rushed inside the driver's seat and started driving pretty fast. "C-careful!" Y/n said from the back seat. We kept making constant turns, trying to navigate a path to find any sort of cell service. "We're heading for a cliff, bud." Greg said, nervously. "Almost got it...Yes! We got service!" I shouted, as dad immediately stopped the van. I hopped outside and sat on the roof, holding my phone up to the sky and got excited when I saw a text. But...it was from Ronaldo. "Anything?" Y/n asked, peeking his head out. "No...nothing." I said, looking down. Y/n climbed up onto the roof and sat next to me, putting my head on his shoulder.

"She's never gonna talk to me again...I screwed up so badly." I said, teary-eyed. "You didn't do anything wrong, Connie just might need time to get over things. But don't worry, I'm right here for you." Y/n smiled, wiping my tears. Even when I'm at my lowest, Y/n always comforts me, he's honestly just the best boyfriend I could ask for. "Got any room for 4 more?" Pearl asked. "Always." I replied. The gems sat down behind me while my dad sat down next to us, and we gazed at the beautiful sky. Y/n slowly moved his hand over to mine, before flashing me the cutest smile ever. Me and him shared one more kiss, only this time it was much longer, and everyone giggled at how cute we were. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.6K 1.1K 68
You are currently A High School Graduate, And One Day as you moved out of your home, You settle down in a Quiet town called Beach City, You soon meet...
91.9K 2.5K 29
Okay I could give you a description of the story and get you interested in the book, or you know, you could just read. (Updates are irregular.) Discl...
6.2K 134 15
Second Lapidot Book because why not? Have fun :3! (Warning) Suicide, bad language, depression and maybe some nsfw? Idk if that's important. Sorry fo...
281K 7.1K 64
You are one of a kind. Well, at least that's what your father said. Not in a good way tho. Ever since you were born to Earth, all of the blames was...