Mad Hatter [Jefferson Hatter...

By bethanyjanebooks

"ɪᴛ ᴡᴀꜱɴ'ᴛ ᴇᴀꜱɪʟʏ ʟᴇᴀᴠɪɴɢ ʀᴏꜱᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ, ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ᴅᴀʏ ᴡᴇɴᴛ ʙʏ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴛʀᴀᴘᴘᴇᴅ ɪɴ ᴡᴏɴᴅᴇʀʟᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴛʜᴏ... More

Cast List
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Next Book

Chapter 29

1.7K 56 5
By bethanyjanebooks

Flashback

Young Rose Red and Young Snow White entered the main chamber of King Leopold's castle, where Queen Eva, their mother, was consulting with several women. Young Snow White was dressed in a pink, sparkly ball gown and Young Rose Red was dress in a red, sparkly ball gown.

"Let's be certain she's seated as far away from the Duke as possible, for the Duchess' sake," Queen Eva said.

"Yes, ma'am," A woman said and they left.

"Do you like them?" Young Snow White asked.

Queen Eva turned and smiled, "Oh, my dear Snow, my sweet Rose. You two are absolute visions. You two are going to be the talk of the ball, and just because it's your birthday," They hugged briefly, "Come. I can hardly believe you're growing up so fast. Which reminds me..." Queen Eva looked at Young Rose Red, "I have a gift for you. It was my mother's once, and her mother's before that. And soon, it will be yours," Queen Eva said.

"Mine?" Young Rose Red questioned.

"It's handed down the eldest princess," Queen Eva said.

In another room, a diamond tiara sat in a padded box. Johanna picked it up and placed it on her head then she admired herself in the mirror.

"Johanna," Queen Eva called out.

"It's that the present?" Young Rose Red asked.

"Oh! Oh, Your Majesty," She removed the tiara, "Oh, please forgive me. I just wanted to see-," Johanna began to say.

"How dare you?" Young Snow White approached her, "That's my sister's. It's not for a servant," Young Snow White said and Young Rose Red looked surprised.

"It was my mistake," Johanna said as she put the tiara back in the padded box.

"Servants don't wear crowns," Young Snow White said.

"Enough," Queen Eva said.

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty-," Johanna began to say.

"No, I was talking to Snow," Queen Eva said.

She turned to her mother in surprise, "Me?" Young Snow White questioned.

"I thought I raised you than that, Snow. It doesn't matter whether one is a servant or royalty. Everyone in the kingdom deserves our love and respect," Queen Eva said.

"But she took my sister's tiara-," Young Snow White said.

"She apologised. And it isn't your sister's yet," Queen Eva said.

"Your Majesty, it's alright," Johanna said.

"You're kind, Johanna, but Snow must learn. My dear, we are all the same," Queen Eva said.

"But I thought we were royals," Young Snow White same in confusion.

"We are, but that doesn't make us better than anyone else. The upcoming ball, for instance, can you tell me what it's for?" Queen Eva asked.

"It's to honour me on my birthday," Young Snow White answered with a smile.

"No. Rose?" Queen Eva asked.

Young Rose Red thought for a few moments, "It's for us to honour them, by showing them I will be a kind and benevolent leader when that time comes and to show them that if anything should happen to me, Snow will take my place and be the same. And to show them respect and that if they ever saw us outside the castle, they are welcome to come and talk to us," Young Rose Red said.

"Your father taught you that didn't he?" Queen Eva asked.

"Was it right?" Young Rose Red asked.

"It is. Please," Queen Eva gestured to the tiara and Johanna handed it to her, "When you are crowned with this on your birthday, it will be a symbol that you will always hold goodness in your heart and rule justly. Now, do you understand?" Queen Eva asked.

"I do, mother," Queen Eva headed the tiara to Young Rose Red, who walked over to the mirror put she does put it on, just looking at it, "It's beautiful," Young Rose Red said.

"So pretty," Young Snow White said.

"And it's heavier than it looks," Queen Eva said.

Queen Eva gasped in pain and he knees buckled, Johanna rushed to support her as royal princesses looked worried, "Your Majesty!" Johanna said.

"Mother!" Young Rose Red and Young Snow White said.

"I'm fine," Queen Eva said.

"No, no. You're not," Young Rose Red said as she put the tiara down.

Johanna carefully eased the Queen into a chair, "Come. There. I'm getting the doctor," Johanna said before she rushed out of the room.

"Mother..." Young Snow White said as she knelt beside her with Young Rose Red

"I'm fine, dears," Queen Eva said.

End of Flashback

Storybrooke...

Jefferson was on the phone with Rose Red as Grace sat beside her father, listening to the conversation.

"Hey, love, everything okay?" Rose Red asked.

"I don't know if I say this considering who you are," Jefferson said.

"You can say it," Rose Red said.

"Happy Birthday, dear. How's everything?" Jefferson asked.

"Thank you. Everything is okay. I have got an injury, but I'll heal it when I'm home. I miss you so much," Rose Red said.

"We miss you too, Mama," Grace said.

"Oh, Gracie. It's so good hearing your voice," Rose Red said.

"When are you coming home?" Grace asked.

"Soon, sweetie, I promise," Rose Red said.

"Okay... Wish you were here for your birthday," Grace said.

"Me too, sweetie, me too," Rose Red said.

"Make sure uncle Bae and grandpa, are okay," Grace said.

"Did Papa tell you?" Rose Red asked.

"Mhm. I'm not mad, mama. I still love you," Grace said.

"And I love you too," Rose Red said.

There was a knock at the door, "Someone's here, talk later dear," Jefferson said.

"Of course. Love you two, so much," Rose Red said.

"Love you," Jefferson and Grace said and Jefferson hung up.

Grace walked over to the door and opened it, "Auntie Snow, Uncle David," Grace said.

Jefferson walked over and looked at Mary Margaret, "Happy Birthday," Jefferson said.

"Thank you, this came to the loft by mistake," Mary Margaret handed over a box, Jefferson took it and opened it, he stared at it in shock, "What is it?" Mary Margaret asked.

Jefferson brought out the tiara, "Isn't this..." Jefferson said.

Grace took the card and opened it, "Thinking of you both today - Johanna," Grace readout aloud.

"Johanna," Mary Margaret said.

"I didn't know she was in Storybrooke," David said.

"Neither did I," Mary Margaret said.

"After the curse, you were gone for a while. We're all still finding each other. It hasn't been easy," David said.

"I have to go," Mary Margaret said as she took the tiara back from Jefferson. 

"I'll come with you," Jefferson said.

"Alright," Mary Margaret said.

"David watch Gracie, for me please," Jefferson said and grabbed his jacket, he hugged Grace before he walked away with Mary Margaret.

♥🎩♥🎩♥🎩♥🎩♥🎩♥

David and Grave arrived at the Sheriff's Department for work and he was hanging up his coat when they heard something and got distracted. He walked out of Emma's office as he held Grace's hand and suddenly Captain Hook ambushed him, hitting him over the head with a crowbar, knocking him unconscious and Grace gasped and ran out of the station before Captain Hook could grab her.

Captain Hook took his keys, "Apologies, mate, but I think you have something of mine," Captain Hook said as he looked around.

He walked into Emma's office, unlocked the drawer, opened a draw to find his inside. He unscrewed his fake hand and replaced it with his hook before he left the station.

Meanwhile, Johanna was planting a small flower in her garden and Mary Margaret and Jefferson approached her.

"Johanna?" Mary Margaret called out.

"Snow... Jefferson," Johanna said as she stood up.

"It's Mary Margaret, here," She answered as she walked up to her.

"No. You will always be my dear Snow," Johanna said and the two hugged.

"I never thought I'd see you again. Or this," Mary Margaret said as she took out the tiara from her bag.

"Oh. I came across it in Mr Gold's shop, and I knew how much it meant to your sister. I knew she had to have it. Where is she?" Johanna said.

"Thank you. She's out of town at the moment," Jefferson said.

Johanna looked at Jefferson and curtsied, "Your Majesty, I apologise. I did not know where you and Queen Rose live," Johanna said.

"Johanna, you don't have to be formal with me... You never have, don't change," Jefferson said with a smile and they hugged.

Mary Margaret looked at the flowers she was planting, "I haven't seen those flowers in a long time," Mary Margaret said.

"They reminded me of you both. Because they could survive the harshest winter, and you were born during the harshest one of all," Johanna said.

"That's why she names me Snow," Mary Margaret said.

"And your sister Rose, her cheeks red from the cold but she didn't cry," Johanna said.

"Sounds like my wife," Jefferson said and chuckled.

"I thought keeping this garden would be a nice way to honour her," Johanna said.

"It is," Mary Margaret said.

"Rose will love it, I'll bring her here when she returns, to see the garden and you," Jefferson said.

"Thank you, Your... Jefferson," Johanna said with a soft smile.

"I miss her, too," Both of the women were tearing up, "Oh, you..." Johanna said and wipes away a stray tear from Mary Margaret's cheek.

They heard a noise coming from the woods behind them and they looked in that direction, "What was that?" Johanna asked.

"Stay here. I'm sure it was nothing," Jefferson said and turned to leave.

"Snow, Jefferson..." Johanna sand went to follow them.

"No, no, please. Please, just stay here. We'll be right back," Mary Margaret said.

Jefferson and Mary Margaret went into the forest where the noise came from to investigate. They came across Regina and Cora, so they stayed hidden behind a tree and watched as Regina was digging a hole while Cora watched her.

"And you're sure this is where we're supposed to dig?" Cora asked.

Regina looked at the map, "Yes. Hook marked it clearly. Rumpelstiltskin's dagger is here," Regina said.

"Unless Hook lied to us," Cora said.

"Well, then this map is useless. Gold is the only one who can translate it," Regina said.

"Oh, don't worry, sweetheart. Hook could've saved us a lot of effort with honesty, but, the truth is, we don't need anyone. I can reconstruct the map. It'll just take a bit more time. And when we find it, I promise you, I'll use that dagger to force the Dark One to kill anyone you like," Cora said.

♥🎩♥🎩♥🎩♥🎩♥🎩♥

Mary Margaret and Jefferson arrived at the Sheriff's Department looking for David and Grace.

"David?" She found David bleeding out and unconscious on the floor, she used over to him and frantically tried to wake him up, "David! David?! David! David!" He started to come around and groaned, "What happened?" Mary Margaret asked.

"Hook," She helped him up, "He ambushed me," David said.

"Are you hurt?" Mary Margaret asked.

"I'm fine. It's not me he wants. It's Gold... And his hook. Yeah, I'm going to enjoy throwing his ass in jail," David said.

"I'll help, but that has to wait," Jefferson said.

"Hook isn't the problem, David," Mary Margaret told him.

"Tell that to my head," David said.

"It's Regina," He looked at Jefferson, "She's been lying to us. She's working with Cora to find the Dark One Dagger," Jefferson said.

"The dagger controls him. If Cora gets it, she can force Gold and all his power to do her bigging," David said.

"Or... Become the Dark One herself," Mary Margaret said.

"Neither one of those options sounds good. Lucky for us, we can call the man himself. He's with Emma and Rose," David said.

"Tried it. Send a message," Mary Margaret said.

"Well, we can't just wait," David said.

"No, we have to buy time until they call us back or return," Mary Margaret said.

"How?" David asked.

"Regina. She doesn't trust her mother. Never has. If we can put some doubt in her about Cora's motives, it might slow them down," Mary Margaret said.

"And you think she'll just trust you?" David asked.

"Well, she doesn't need to trust me. She just has to listen to me. And I know how to get her to do that," Mary Margaret said.

"Where's my daughter?" Jefferson asked.

"She was here," David said.

Giselle walked in with Grace, "Here you are. She's been worried," Giselle said.

"Papa," Grace said and ran over to him and they hugged each other.

"Oh, Gracie," Jefferson said.

"I got scared, I'm sorry," Grace said as she looked at her uncle.

"It's okay, you did right," David said.

"What happened?" Giselle asked.

"Hook ambushed me," David said.

"I'll deal with him," Giselle said and she walked off.

"Elle!" Jefferson said.

"I've got this!" Giselle said and disappeared in black smoke.

On the Jolly Roger, Captain Hook was at the helm navigating the ship when Giselle appeared on deck. She grabbed a hilt of a dagger, missing the blade and she threw it at her brother's head causing him to yelp and crouch down, holding his head.

Giselle walked over towards the helm and she looked at him, "What the hell are you doing? You terrified a child. Are you trying to piss me off even more?" Giselle asked as Captain Hook stood up straight and looked at her.

"Elle," Captain Hook said.

"What's going on?" Giselle asked.

"I'm going. You can't come with me. Your memories," Captain Hook said.

"Will be fine, I drink memory potion quite often. Have you seen the villains in this town? The former Darkest Dark One, Dark One, Evil Queen, Queen of Hearts, you. I need protection," Giselle said.

"Darkest Dark One thought that was just a myth," Captain Hook said.

"If only it was... Again. What the hell are you doing?" Giselle said.

"I'm going to kill the Dark One," Captain Hook said.

"Oh, interesting... Let's go," Giselle said.

"What?" Captain Hook said.

"He killed Milah. The first friend I ever had, you really think I'd forget what he did. Let's finish this and go our separate ways," Giselle said.

"Ella," Giselle looked at him, "I do love you, sister," Captain Hook said.

"And I'll always love you, brother, that's my biggest... My biggest weakness. I need to rid myself of you or else... Or else I can't go home," Giselle said tearfully.

"And where's that for you?" Captain Hook asked.

"Wonderland... To Will," Giselle said.

New York...

Meanwhile, Neal, Henry, Rose Red, Emma and Mr Gold walked down a street in New York. Neal and Henry spoke amongst themselves, as they walked ahead.

"So, uh... You like pizza?" Neal asked.

"Yeah. Let me guess, you're going to tell me the best pizza's in New York and I got to try it, right?" Henry asked.

"Actually, it's in the Kingdom of Damaria on the north shore of the Dragon Fields of Zorn," Henry looked confused and Neal chuckled.

"Nah, it's in New York. Here's let's get you a slice," Neal said.

"So you're really from there?" Henry asked.

"Yeah, I am," Neal said as he and Henry headed towards a pizza shop.

"Hey, can I join? I'm hungry and it's my birthday," Rose Red said.

Neal looked at her, "Fine, birthday pizza," Neal said.

"Yes!" Rose Red cheered playfully and walked over to them, wrapping her arms around Henry causing him to laugh as they walking inside.

Emma and Mr Gold stood outside, "Do you think that we should..." Emma said.

"If we were welcome, I feel confident an invitation would have been extended. It's a sad truth that the people closest to us are the ones capable of causing us the most pain. That's our common ground, Miss Swan," Mr Gold said.

"Guess my lying to him just caught up with me," Emma said.

"Ah, give him time. He'll forgive you," Mr Gold said.

"Is that you projecting your own hopes?" Emma asked.

"My son and I have some way to go... But..." Mr Gold said.

"But?" Emma said.

"Seeing them both, like this... That's what I care about most, right now... Before I lose her as well," Mr Gold said.

"I can see that," Emma said.

"I need you to speak to him," Emma scoffed folding her arms looking at him, "Try and convince him to come back to Storybrooke with us," Mr Gold said.

"If I recall, there was only one favour I owed you, and I think I'm paid up," Emma said.

"This isn't about me anymore. You'll do it for Henry," Mr Gold said.

"How do you figure that?" Emma asked.

"Well, because if you don't, you're going to wake up one morning and discover he's hopped on a bus back to New York. He ran away to Boston to be with you. He'll do that same thing for his father," Mr Gold said.

"Until Neal lets him down, which he will. It'll be a hard lesson, but then at least Henry will understand that I lied to protect him," Emma said.

"Someone's beginning to sound a lot like Regina. "I think the real reason you lied was to protect yourself," Mr Gold said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Emma said.

"From getting hurt again," Mr Gold said.

"That's not happening," Emma said.

"You want a second chance with that man," Mr Gold said.

"What makes you think that?" Emma said.

"That and the look on your face," Mr Gold said.

"You have no idea what-," Emma began to say.

Neal, Rose Red and Henry walked over to them eating pizza, "What are we talking about?" Neal asked.

"Hey," Rose Red said as she bit into her pizza.

"Emma," Emma looked at Henry, "Neal wanted to show me the museum. Do you think we can go back to the apartment and get my camera?" Henry asked.

Emma looked at Neal, "Yeah, well, I... Kids like culture, right?" Neal said.

"Grace'll be upset she missed out, but I said the photographs from Henry would cheer her up and if he's the one who tells her about it," Rose Red said.

Emma looked back at Henry, "Sure," She smiled, "Yeah, that's... That's fine. You like the New York pizza?" Emma asked.

"Yeah. It's delicious, cheesy, and doesn't lie," Henry said.

"Play nice Henry," Rose Red said and Henry looked at her.

Storybrooke...

Regina walked into Granny's Diner and she approached a booth where Mary Margaret, Jefferson and Grace were for her and Regina stood across from her.

"So, how are Henry and Rose? Are they okay?" Regina asked.

"They're fine. Everything's fine," Mary Margaret said.

"What'd she say?" Regina asked.

"I didn't actually talk to Rose," Mary Margaret said.

Regina sat opposite her, "Then why am I here?" Regina asked.

"I did," Grace said.

"Is she okay?" Regina asked.

"Misses us... Well... Me and Papa and she'll be home soon. Oh! And she wishes she was here for her birthday," Grace said.

"And I'm here, because?" Regina asked.

"Because we know you've been lying. And we thought it was time we talk about it," Jefferson said.

"Please?" Grace said.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Regina said.

"No, no, no, no. No more lying. I know you've been with your mother. I know you're looking for the dagger," Jefferson said.

"What I'm doing is my business," Regina said.

"There's a war starting, Regina," Jefferson said.

"That much is clear, yes," Regina said.

"Lucky for you, you've earned enough goodwill with us to give you one last chance. A chance to choose the right side... The side of good," Mary Margaret said.

"Have you ever considered that maybe, perhaps... I am good? I was always the Queen. It was you who added 'Evil' to my name," Regina said.

"Good doesn't do what you do. Why? Regina, why do back to this way after how hard you tried?" Mary Margaret said.

"And what did it get me? Dinner with a bunch of hypocrites who pretend they'll forgive me when in their hearts, they know... They never will. You're giving me a chance? How about I give you one? Stay out of my way," Regina said and started to stand up.

"Listening to your mother is a mistake, Regina," Mary Margaret said.

"Because listening to you will work out so much better," Regina said.

"She doesn't care about Henry or Rose, not like you do. All she wants is power," Jefferson said.

"Power is how you get things," Regina said.

"You didn't get Rose that way, to begin with though, did you? You got her love, with your own," Jefferson said.

"She doesn't care about you," Mary Margaret said.

"Really? And what would you know about mothers?" Regina asked and she walked off.

Flashback

Queen Eva was now bedridden due to her illness, a doctor checked her over, while Young Rose Red and Young Snow White and Johanna watched by the side of the bed.

"Do you know what's wrong with her?" Young Rose Red asked.

"Not yet, my dear. But I have hope that we shall know soon," The doctor said.

"Then she'll be alright?" Young Snow White asked nervously.

"Rose, Snow..." Queen Eva said weakly.

"Mother!" Young Rose Red and YounSnow White said and instantly went to her mother's side.

The doctor turned to Johanna, "You should call for the King immediately," The doctor said.

"W...What... What message shall I give him?" Johanna asked.

"That whatever business he's attending to can wait. He should be at his wife's side," The doctor said.

"We'll cancel the ball, and turn it into a celebration once you're better," Young Snow White said with tears in her eyes and Young Rose Red nodded.

"We can't cancel your birthdays. It'll be fine. I will be well by then. I want to see you walking in that tiara," Queen Eva said.

"We don't care about our birthday. All we care about is you," Young Rose Red said.

Queen Eva suddenly began coughing into her handkerchief, "Johanna," She called out as she coughed.

Johanna put her hands on the girls' arms, "Rose, Snow. Let's leave your mother alone? It's alright. She needs her rest. Come," Johanna said.

"Mother?" Young Rose Red and Young Snow White said sadly.

Johanna led Rose Red Snow White away as the doctor returned to Queen Eva's side. Queen Eva pulled back her handkerchief, only to see that it was covered in blood.

Young Rose Red looked even more worried, "What's going to happen to her? Is she going to die?" Young Rose Red asked Johanna with tears running down her cheeks.

Johanna and the young princesses hugged each other, the young girls cried against the maid's shoulders, "Shh... I don't know," Johanna said.

"I don't want to lose her," Young Snow White said.

"We must hope the doctor-," Johanna began to say.

The young girls pulled away from her, "He doesn't even know what's wrong with her. How can we place hope in him? There has to be something that can save her," Young Rose Red said.

"Maybe there is," Johanna said.

"How?" The young princesses asked.

"If medicine can't cure the Queen... Perhaps magic can," Johanna said.

"Magic?" Young Rose Red questioned.

"Yes. Your mother has a confidante, someone few know about. Someone schooled with the most powerful of magic. I'm not really supposed to even know of this," Johanna said.

"Please, Johanna..." Young Rose Red said.

"There is a benevolent fairy who can grant a person's wish if their heart is true," Johanna said.

"Ours is. I swear. Where do we find this fairy?" Young Rose Red asked.

"Tonight, go into the woods where the sky is clearest. Wish upon the blue star... And she will appear to you," Johanna said.

End of Flashback

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.4K 1.1K 50
As the curse is broken, Elaine and Emma finally meet their parents and Katy was unsure where she belonged in the Swan twins lives because there wasn'...
2.5K 85 7
All of his life, 𝗞𝗜𝗧 𝗠𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗦 was told he will never find his true love. His grandmother would always tell him that "love is weakness" and that...
45K 882 20
💚Under Editing Seperately💚 Taken from your true home you end up in the Enchanted Forest, living with the Evil Queen. During the dark curse you fou...
48K 1.5K 26
ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀꜱ' ɴᴇᴍᴇꜱɪꜱ ᴡᴀꜱ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ? ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴋɪʟʟᴇᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀꜱ' ʟᴏᴠᴇ? ᴀɴᴅ ɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴜʀꜱᴇ ɪꜱ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ, ᴛʜᴏꜱᴇ Qᴜᴇꜱᴛɪᴏɴꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ʙᴀᴄᴋ. Th...