One Day You'll Know

By Shadowfax224

Middle-earth is in big trouble. Apparently Bilbo's magic ring was actually more than it seemed. So Gandalf ca... More

Chapter 1- Return to Middle-earth
Chapter 2- Very Old Friends
Chapter 3- A Long-Expected Party
Chapter 4- The Approaching Darkness
Chapter 5- The Journey Begins
Chapter 6- The Worst Shortcut Ever
Chapter 7- A Close Call
Chapter 8- The Prancing Pony
Chapter 9- Strider
Chapter 10- Into the Wild
Chapter 11- Failure
Chapter 12- Back in Rivendell
Chapter 13- Many Old Friends
Chapter 14- The Fellowship of the Ring
Chapter 15- Downtime Reading
Chapter 16- The Ring Goes South
Chapter 17- Voice on the Mountain
Chapter 18- Journey in the Dark
Chapter 19- The Mirror
Chapter 20- The Gift
Chapter 21- Breaking of the Fellowship
Chapter 22- On the Trail of the Uruk-hai
Chapter 23- Hope Restored
Chapter 25- Recalling the Clone Wars
Chapter 26- The Wolves of Isengard
Chapter 27- The Truth
Chapter 28- The Battle
Chapter 29- The Voice of Saruman
Chapter 30- A Deal and Questions
Chapter 31- I Want to Run
Chapter 32- Looking in the Wrong Places
Chapter 33- Light in the Darkness
Chapter 34- Final Decisions
Chapter 35- The End of All Things
Chapter 36- The Return of the King
Chapter 37- One With the Force
Chapter 38- One Day You'll Know
Book 4 of this series

Chapter 24- The Golden Hall

170 5 2
By Shadowfax224

The next morning, Noelle, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimili arrived below the city of Edoras- which to Noelle's surprise, was actually a small town on a hill. They stopped the horses briefly while Gandalf spoke.

"Edoras, and the Golden Hall of Meduseld."

"I thought it'd be bigger," Noelle mumbled.

"There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan. His mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong," Gandalf paused and sighed. "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here."

They dug their heels into their horses' sides and cantered off.

The further they got up the hill, the windier it got. A gust of wind blew into Noelle's face, messing up her hair. She groaned in annoyance and pulled out of her pocket a leather string that she used to tie back her hair. She had to drop the reins for a second in order to secure a messy braid. It wasn't perfect, but at least it kept the hair out of her face.

A forest green flag with a white horse on it flew by them as they entered the town. There weren't even guards at the wooden gates. Noelle took notice of their surroundings as they trodded through the dusty path up the hill to the Golden Hall. Some of the people of the town stared at them fearfully with wide eyes. Others looked curious, but most appeared tense.

Gimli snorted. "You'll find more cheer in a graveyard," he commented.

They dismounted the horses near the steps of the Golden Hall. Unfortunately there was nothing to tether them to. Noelle wagged her finger at Flash as she followed Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli up the stairs.

"Stay," she commanded him.

Hey, where do you think I would go?

Shaking her head, Noelle sighed. You had better be here when I get back. She raced up the stairs to catch up with the others. Surprisingly there was a group of guards ready to meet them at the front door of the Hall. Noelle also noticed Gandalf wearing his grey cloak instead of the white one.

The guy who appeared to be in charge frowned at them suspiciously. "I cannot allow you before Theoden king so heavily armed, Gandalf Greyhame, by order of Grima Wormtongue."

"Who?" Noelle asked. Anyone who took orders from someone called "Grima Wormtongue" clearly had issues.

Gandalf gave her a look that said to be quiet, then motioned for them to give up their weapons.

Reluctantly Noelle handed one of the Rohirrim guards her Elven sword. The others didn't look too happy about it either- particularly Gimli.

"Your staff." The captain guy eyed Gandalf.

Noelle felt Gandalf tense up beside her immediately. If they wouldn't let him in with staff, his main source of power, whatever plan he had wouldn't work. "Oh. You would not part an old man from his walking stick?"

The captain didn't look like he was buying Gandalf's flimsy excuse.

Suddenly Noelle had an idea. It was something she had been training and practicing to do, yet she hadn't done it in awhile. The Jedi mind trick.

She held up her hand to Gandalf. "I've got this." She glanced at the captain, and slowly moved her hand slightly closer and leaned in with the Force. "You would not part an old man from his walking stick," she said, holding her breath in anticipation. She hoped this worked. She wasn't really very experienced in this. Obi-wan was better at it.

The captain looked confused and blinked a few times, which was good. It meant the Force was having an influence on his mind. "I will... not..."

Noelle moved her hand closer.

"... part an old man from his walking stick."

"We can pass through," Noelle stated.

"You may pass through," he repeated.

Noelle smiled. It had worked!

Suddenly a hand forcefully grabbed her by the wrist in midair.

"WITCH!!!" the man next to the captain screamed. He was the one who had grabbed her.

Immediately Legolas was gripping the man's arm. His glare was deathly. "Release her."

Even Noelle felt a chill at the tone of his voice. Legolas sounded like he would have killed him right there. She was only aware of how fast her own heart was beating right now. If this came to blows...

"Let. Her. Go." Legolas' voice was stone.

Still glaring at both Noelle and Legolas, the man dropped her wrist. She pulled her hand back close to her chest. It was fortunate she was wearing arm gauntlets, or he probably would have left marks on her arm. She glanced over at Legolas who was watching her worriedly.

"I'm ok," she mouthed at him before he could ask. He nodded slightly in response and took Gandalf's arm to "help the old man walk."

Still holding her wrist, Noelle walked on Gandalf's other side, as the doors creaked open to let them in.

The captain bowed to the king and allowed them to pass him.

Then the doors slammed shut behind them. Noelle jumped a little in surprise.

The king was an old, haggard man with a scraggly beard, wearing a bathrobe. Despite that, he looked like he hadn't bathed in weeks.

Next to him was a creepy, pale man with greasy black hair, whispering something into the king's ear. Noelle wondered if he was Grima Wormtongue.

Gandalf dropped Legolas's arm. "The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Theoden king!" he called, as they slowly sauntered closer to the throne.

Out of the corner of her eye, Noelle could see a group of ruffians eyeing them from the side of the room.

The king wearily looked at them. "Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" He then looked at the pale man, undoubtedly Wormtongue, as if wanting to make sure he had said the right thing.

"A just question, my liege." Wormtongue stood up and slinked down the hall to come face to face with Gandalf's scowl. "Late is the hour in which this conjuror chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest."

"Be silent!" Gandalf hissed at him. "Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth! I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm." He raised his staff.

Wormtongue's eyes widened in fear. "His staff!" he whispered in realization. "I told you to take the wizard's staff!"

Then all of hell broke loose- figuratively speaking. The band of ruffians that had been stalking them from the corner lunged at them.

Noelle sensed one behind her. She whipped around and saw the brute eyeing her lustfully with a cruel smile on his lips. Her eyes narrowed as her hand reached instinctively for her sword, only to remember it wasn't there.

It didn't matter.

She smirked at the guy coming towards her then sent him flying backward five feet into the air.

Another guy came from her right, but his fist came short of a few inches from Noelle's outstretched palm. He screamed in pain as Noelle made a clenching motion with her fist. Then she sent an Ahsoka-trademark kick into his side.

Legolas punched a guy in the face from behind, as Gimli growled and kicked Wormtongue to the ground. "I would stay still if I were you," he snarled.

"Hearken to me!" came Gandalf's voice amidst the fray. He was now at the steps of Theoden's throne. Closing his eyes, Gandalf solemnly stretched his hand out towards Theoden.

Noelle held her breath, feeling the Force in the Hall- and surrounding Gandalf.

"I release you from the spell," he whispered.

The quiet was broken by a loud cackling coming from the throne. Noelle knew immediately, deep down, that it was Saruman laughing, not Theoden. "You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey!" he sneered.

Suddenly Gandalf ripped off the outer grey cloak he had been wearing, revealing him in all his white glory. "I will draw you Saruman as poison is drawn from a wound!" He aimed his staff at Theoden, who was pushed back into his throne by some unseen Force. As Theoden struggled in his seat, you could tell that Gandalf's newfound power was having some effect on Saruman.

Out of the corner of her eye, Noelle saw a young woman around her age with long, golden blonde hair and wearing a stunning white dress running up towards the throne. Aragorn caught her arm to stop her. "Wait," he commanded.

Noelle was surprised when the lady actually listened to him. But Aragorn could definitely have that effect.

Theoden had managed to crane his neck slightly out of the chair. "If I go, Theoden dies!" he sneered in a voice that was not his own.

Gandalf shoved his staff forward, pushing Theoden back into the seat. "You did not kill me! You will not kill him!"

"Rohan is MINE!" snarled Theoden/Saruman.

Gandalf pushed him further with his staff again. "Begone!"

The look on Theoden's face intensified and Noelle was afraid he actually might be able to move from the chair.

Then three things happened at once: Theoden screamed and lunged at Gandalf. Noelle ran forward, but Legolas caught her arm. Gandalf shot his staff up into the air, pushing Theoden away from him.

Gandalf breathed a sigh of relief, along with Noelle, as Theoden began to slowly collapse from his seat. He looked worn, and withered away. Aragorn finally let the blonde woman run up to him. She caught the king before he fell over, and helped him into a standing position.

As Legolas dropped her arm, Noelle noticed a strange change to the king's face. His old and shriveled face morphed into a younger man perhaps in his fifties. It was hard to explain, but it was almost like reverse-ageing. His eyes slowly lost that crazy look into one of recognition as he finally saw the blonde woman.

"I know your face," he whispered. "Eowyn."

The blonde woman -Eowyn- laughed in relief, with tears of joy in her eyes.

Gandalf stepped back from the throne. He smiled. "Breath the free air again, my friend."

Noelle could feel a smile on her own lips as well. This was why she loved Gandalf. For what he did for others. He could bring hope to those who had none, and change their lives.

Theoden took a deep breath. "Dark have been my dreams of late." He studied his hand.

Gandalf raised his eyebrows. "Your fingers would remember their old strength better, if they grasped your sword," he suggested.

The captain who had been at the gate held out Theoden's sword to him. Noelle was surprised that he had it right there for him.

King Theoden's fingers lightly touched the pommel and wrapped around it, as he slowly and solemnly drew the sword.

Wormtongue cowered in the background, as King Theoden remembered. His eyes turned darkly to the cowering, greasy man in the corner.

Two men, one of them being the man who had grabbed Noelle's arm earlier, tossed Wormtongue down the steps of the Golden Hall. He screamed in pain.

"I've only ever served you, my Lord!" he pleaded.

King Theoden was in a fury. "Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!"

"Send me not from your sight!" cried Wormtongue.

Theoden raised his sword to strike.

"No my Lord!" Aragorn grabbed the King's arm.

Whatever did he do that for? came Flash's comments from the corner.

"Enough blood has been spilled on his account," Aragorn was saying.

Yeah so why don't you let him go? Flash said sarcastically.

"Ok Flash," Noelle mumbled in annoyance, hoping her horse would be quiet.

Wormtongue saw his opportunity and pushed his way through the crowd. Noelle could see him near their horses. She gasped when she saw Flash baring his teeth at him when he got too close. Instead of Flash, Wormtongue stole a nearby black horse.

Good riddance!

"Hail Theoden King!" one of the guards shouted. All of the people got down on one knee in respect for their king.

Theoden turned back around in the direction of his niece and his guards. He looked a bit confused. "Where is Theodred?" he asked. "Where is my son?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 7.3K 27
It has been over seven decades since Arya left everything she knew behind. Friends, foes, Legolas. Now, an old enemy is threatening Middle Earth, and...
55.5K 1.3K 24
Alastegiel is the daughter of Saruman. And no he is not a most loving dad. She escapes him and joins the Fellowship! In a fight between good en evil...
20.4K 734 34
๐—Ÿ๐—ฒ๐—ด๐—ผ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐˜… (๐—™๐—ฒ๐—บ) ๐—ผ๐—ฐ ษชษด แดกสœษชแด„สœ, แด›สœแด‡ ๊œฐแด€แด‡ส€ษชแด‡ แด˜ส€ษชษดแด„แด‡๊œฑ๊œฑ แดŠแดษชษด๊œฑ แด›สœแด‡ ๊œฐแด‡สŸสŸแดแดก๊œฑสœษชแด˜ แดษด แด›สœแด‡ษชส€ แดŠแดแดœส€ษดแด‡ส แด›แด ๊œฑแด€แด แด‡ แดษชแด…แด…สŸแด‡-แด‡แด€ส€แด›สœ, แด€ษดแด… ๊œฐษชษดแด…๊œฑ สŸแดแด แด‡ แด€สŸแดษดษข แด›สœแด‡ แดกแด€...
8.2K 662 19
'Whither do you wander?' Rowan Reed is doing her job as a stuntwoman on a movie set when something goes wrong. Recovering, she finds herself in eeril...